watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fullers ESB

Started by YankeeJim, August 07, 2011, 11:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Given that what we all think about all the time, Fulham and beer are the only three things of consequence in this world, and me being an expert in the first two   079.gif , I went out today and spent the princely sum $13.37 US? on my first six pack of  the title of this post.

Given that this is the price of your average twelve pack, I don't wish to squander my investment, I have the following questions:

1. Temperature
Being a yank me likes me beer ice cold. Should Fullers be drunk in this manner, simply cool or room temperature? I'm in SoCal so room temp is near 90F.

2. Is it best served in a pilsner glass, frosted mug or red neck style, straight out of the bottle?  :beer:

Please assist this poor, dumb colonist.

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ImperialWhite

1. It isn't served ice cold, like lagers. However, 32oC is pretty hot, so I reckon an hour or so blast in the fridge ought to get it to the right sort of temperature.

2. It's served like so:

clintclintdeuce

Is better in the UK.. really dont like it too much here, but will drink it in a heartbeat there.
The Dude abides.

LBNo11

...if you ever get the opportunity get ESB on draught, best out of an ESB goblet as IW posted, or a 'straight' glass. Drink it at the temperature that suits your taste, for me it is best cool, but not chilled, it has too much flavour to be frozen to death like a tasteless lager beer. Bottled is OK, but draught is best...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

YankeeJim

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 07, 2011, 11:48:08 PM
Is better in the UK.. really dont like it too much here, but will drink it in a heartbeat there.

Pray tell? Why are you letting the air out of my balloon? My cup of expectations is running over. Hearing my two heros, Finny & Hatter sing it praises, I'm anticipating an oral orgasm. Wait, that didn't come, ah, sound quite right.  :002:

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 08, 2011, 12:00:49 AM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 07, 2011, 11:48:08 PM

Pray tell? Why are you letting the air out of my balloon? My cup of expectations is running over. Hearing my two heros, Finny & Hatter sing it praises, I'm anticipating an oral orgasm. Wait, that didn't come, ah, sound quite right.  :002:

I mean its ok here... but just better there..... something about it, the long journey in the bottles perhaps. I love Guinness, by far my favourite, and its really good here. But its soooooo much better there. Its like that certian phrase you used above.

ESB is certianly better that the vast majority of beers availble here though, Jim.
The Dude abides.

YankeeJim

I'll report back tomorrow. I'm taking the plunge right now!

HatterDon

YJ, all I can tell you is when it's 0900 on a Saturday morning, you've just ordered breakfast at the pub when Fulham is about to kickoff, a bottle of Fullers ESB is extremely hard to beat. They serve it lager cold at the Lion and Rose, but you get what you can. I'm sure it's better in London on draft than in San Antonio in a bottle, just as Guinness is better on draft in Ireland than it is on draft in London, but you get what you can.

Exported, overly chilled, stuck in a bottle, it's still a good brew and it's still Fulham.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

So Mr YJ,
What is the verdict? Angel piss and nectar, or swamp water?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

YankeeJim

Well, I matched the glass as best I could, chilled the brew but not ice cold and drank two of them last night.

To preface, I normally am not a dark beer drinker. I like Modelo but find Becks bitter. Sam Adams makes  one they call Latitude 48 which is named for the latitude that the best hops are grown at or some such nonsense. I find it good but with a bit of an aftertaste. I classify Dos Equis in much the same manner.

Fullers ESB: The word that comes to mind is smooth. It has almost a creamy taste with no after bite. Quite nice I must say. I'd love to have one on draught. Tonight, they are ice cold since they have been stored next to the Bud, I'll see what that does to the taste.

I did have a bit of a scare. While examining the bottle I noted that it is imported by a company in Littleton, Colorado which as any American beer drinker knows is the site of that great Colorado pee water, Coors. Surely, I thought, there isn't a connection.

AmericanJames

Just a small aside, I was just watching Anthony Bourdain; No reservations on the Travel Channel. On the most recent episode, filmed in the American Southwest. He was at a faux English establishment enjoying a prime rib. During one of the shots of the table I noticed a beautiful bottle; which could only be seen from the side but was, to the trained eye clearly recognizable as a Fullers ESB. had a nice laugh recalling this recent thread.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

finnster01

:clap_hands: Glad you like it Mr YJ. Now you need to find a place that serves it draft.

Logicalman

Hey Jim,

I buy this by the case mate, costs around 50 bucks.
I usually keep it out in the garage, except this summer its needed to be brought into the dark larder, serve it cool, not frozen, and best drunk in a genuine Fullers ESB glass that accidentally fell into my suitcase on my last stay at a Fullers pub/Inn

Will never be as good as draught, but the next best thing, no doubt (and the next one to that is London Pride!!!)

finnster01

Quote from: Logicalman on August 09, 2011, 06:26:41 PM
(and the next one to that is London Pride!!!)

Which really should be our kit sponsors.

I can not wait for the day I can wear a Fulham home kit with London Pride across the chest... I guess I can always wish  :dft001:

HatterDon

Just had my first ever Fullers London Pride -- yes, it was in a can, but what can you do. I was supposed to be meeting at the legendar Floore Country Store [legendary if you know Texas or are familiar with Willie Nelson (pbuh)], but wound up going to Hills Dales, a joint out in the boonies. I've driven by this place for years and always thought it was a biker bar, but MAN what a selection of bottled and draft beer. I WILL be back, although I'll never watch football there. If they even suspected that I followed soccer, they'd have probably strung me up as a potential child molester.

Nice beer when it's 100+ outside.

Porkopolis

Quote from: HatterDon on August 09, 2011, 09:13:45 PM
Just had my first ever Fullers London Pride -- yes, it was in a can, but what can you do. I was supposed to be meeting at the legendar Floore Country Store [legendary if you know Texas or are familiar with Willie Nelson (pbuh)], but wound up going to Hills Dales, a joint out in the boonies. I've driven by this place for years and always thought it was a biker bar, but MAN what a selection of bottled and draft beer. I WILL be back, although I'll never watch football there. If they even suspected that I followed soccer, they'd have probably strung me up as a potential child molester.

Nice beer when it's 100+ outside.

London Pride is my go to.  A sixer of bottles can be had for $9.99 here in Cincinnati.

HatterDon

I'm going to have to scout around for it. I've been drinking entirely too much American colored water.

ron

I believe that the ideal temperature for English Ale is the constant temp found in deep cellars....52 deg F.

Anything colder impairs the flavour. Lager and other blond beers have no such problems with being chilled.

clintclintdeuce

A pub up the street weds night has $1 Newcastle or Guinnesses every week. Ive kept myself away since I moved here...
The Dude abides.

YankeeJim

To update:
I got home late and never turn the computer on yesterday. I had chilled to ice cold two for yesterday evening. I got a frosted mug, poured in the ice cold ESB and immediately noticed very little head and much less fragrance. I took a swig and set it on the counter to warm up & took the other one out of the frig as well. Being ice cold certainly damages the flavor. Good lesson learned. Next step, London Pride!

Now, off to the Rock Inn for some pizza and a beating by the Mexicants.