https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (11/08/11)

Started by WhiteJC, August 11, 2011, 07:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Time for Fulham youngster to come of age
Stoke City - Matthew Briggs wants to make his mark with Cottagers

Fulham's young hopeful Matthew Briggs is ready to stake his claim for a regular first team place and finally live up to the expectation after becoming the youngest player to appear in the Barclays Premier League upon making his debut four years ago.

A frustrating season last year has not knocked the youngster's confidence but, instead, this term a mature self-assurance has crept into the 20-year-old's mindset as Briggs looks to build on his four appearances for the Cottagers.

"I love the buzz in the changing room ahead of kick-off, and although I still get butterflies, I feel a lot more confident walking out onto that pitch - it's an incredible feeling," he said.

"I'm 20 years of age now and although that is still young, I've been training with the first team for a while now. I like to think that I have the talent, and now it's up to me to turn my potential into the real thing.

"I'm feeling very positive right now and, touch wood, things continue that way. I've certainly had my fair share of injuries and after starting last season on the treatment table it took a while for me to get going again.

"There were times when I didn't really feel part of things. Although I was in and around the senior squad, it's not until you get a regular run of games that you fully understand what it is like.

"But I do feel part of the set-up now – I feel like a professional footballer. Every player wants to be out there wearing the shirt of his team and I'm no different. Having been given the chance of late, I'm determined to make the most of it and take the opportunity."

Briggs was pleased to see Martin Jol arrive at the helm of the club after hearing his penchant for starting young players.

He said: "Fortunately I got my chance and although last season was very rewarding, I am hopeful that I can make even more of a statement this year. Martin Jol has come in and thankfully he's continued to show the faith in me – now I want to repay him and the club by doing well."

"He's raised the bar and hopefully I can make the jump. He's certainly given the younger players a lift and the chance is there for us."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/time-for-fulham-youngster-to-come-of-age?

WhiteJC

Role Model

Skillsactive recently took a look at valuable contribution of Foundation Teacher Danielle Richards makes to local schoolchildren.

Having played for QPR ladies, coached in America and starred in the hit film 'Bend it Like Beckham', Danielle Richards is a great role model for girls interested in getting involved in football.

Danielle started working with Fulham Football Club Foundation 18 months ago and as a qualified English teacher has helped engage and educate students in local schools, by delivering football themed lessons to help improve their learning, literacy and numeracy skills.

A big part of her lessons are emphasising the opportunities that are available within football, not just through playing and not just for men. Much to the surprise of many of the schools, female students have embraced Danielle's approach to football as they are able to see the game from a less traditional perspective, and benefit from a different learning experience. This is also testament to the positive work carried out locally, by the Fulham Football Club Foundation in areas of Education and Enterprise.

With the treat of having a one-hour coaching session each week, boys and girls get the opportunity to master the basic skills of the game and gain the benefit from coaches who are passionate about the sport at grassroots level. Hopefully, these experiences will remain with these young people and show girls in particular that they too can enjoy the game and aspire to be football players and coaches.

It is not just through football that Danielle and Fulham FC Foundation attempts to engage young people. 'Aspire 2 Move' for example is a project aimed at engaging young girls between 14-25 years old through a variety of sports including trampolining, dance, cheerleading, gymnastics, basketball and many more. By providing girl only sessions, issues such as lack of confidence and self-esteem can be challenged and improved.

One of the main strengths of the Fulham Football Club Foundation is their ability to use their brand image and the talent of their staff to help inspire young people to get involved in positive activity and to build better lives through sport. Talent is personified through full-time staff members Donnique Sinclair-Chambers and Jen Emeny. Both women have played football at the very highest level; Donnique having played in the FA Cup final for Charlton, and Jen who currently plays for Brentford.

Another exciting element to the Fulham FC Foundation story is that England's Women's number one goalkeeper Siobhan Chamberlain has also worked with the club, helping them to deliver community coaching in the close season. Donnique, Jen and Siobhan are constant reminders to the opportunities that lie within Women's football.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/DanielleRichardsRoleModel.aspx?#ixzz1UhTDg3pW

WhiteJC

Ings eyes higher level
Bournemouth striker ambitious to play at highest level he can

Bournemouth hot-shot Danny Ings has admitted he would be interested in playing at a higher level.

A number of clubs higher up the football pyramid have been credited with an interest in the talented forward.

Fulham and Crystal Palace have both seen bids rejected for Ings, while a host of Premier League and Championship sides are thought to be weighing up moves for the 19-year-old.

Ings, who scored eight goals in 25 appearances last season to help Bournemouth reach the play-offs, admits he was disappointed to hear the bids from both clubs had been rebuffed by the Cherries, who are holding out for £1m-plus for the teenager.

Disappointed

"Obviously I was disappointed the offers were turned down," Ings told skysports.com. "It would have been a good opportunity for me."

While Ings is happy playing for Lee Bradbury's Bournemouth, he admits the opportunity to play for a club at a higher level may be too good to turn down.

"At the moment all I can do is focus on playing for Bournemouth," added Ings. "I am very grateful for Bournemouth giving me my chance.

"However, like any player I have the ambition to play at the highest level I can and for footballing reasons if the opportunity comes up over the coming weeks then I would hope we will be able sit down and look at it."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7091870,00.html?

WhiteJC

Win with Seatwave

In announcing the renewal of their partnership with Fulham FC, Seatwave are offering two tickets to any UK event listed on Seatwave.com for one lucky Season Ticket Holder to win.

Our lucky winner can take their pick from Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Arctic Monkeys and many more concerts, theatre or sporting events now available on the exchange.

To be in with a chance to win this prize all Fulham Season Ticket Holders have to do is attend the Whites' first match of the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League at Craven Cottage on Saturday 13th of August when they face Aston Villa.

The winner will be picked at random and announced on the day of the match.

To find out more about how you can make the most of the Club's Official Ticket Exchange Partner simply visit seatwave.com or download their iPhone app today, register and then take your pick from the large number of events available on their exchange today.

Terms and Conditions apply. This prize is brought to you by Seatwave.com the provider of the official Fulham FC Ticket Exchange, where season ticket holders can sell tickets to other fans for games they can't get too. Seatwave.com, the UK's leading ticket exchange where you can buy or sell tickets to all top concerts, theatre and sporting events.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/WinwithSeatwave.aspx?#ixzz1UhTqkjOV

WhiteJC

In happier news

Today Aaron Hughes paid for 25 kids to become Fulham FC members.

You had to keep an eye on twitter, then at 12 o'clock, retweet the club's announcement of the competition.  The first 25 people to do so got free membership for their children, courtesy of Aaron.

Well I'm off this week andwas on the spot when it mattered, so managed to sort out a membership for Stan.   So thanks, Aaron, top work.   25 kids are now hooked in, good news for the club, good news for the kids.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/in-happier-news/?

WhiteJC

The summer so far: Fulham

by Richard Allen

Where to begin? Mark Hughes? Martin Jol? Europe via the back door? Off-season? What off-season?
First things first: Mark Hughes always felt like someone else's manager. He did his best to look interested, but there were always undertones there, like he was doing us a favour by managing us: "look, it's me, Mark Hughes. The Mark Hughes. At Fulham!"  When he left to broaden his horizons or to find himself (in Dubai), well, nobody was that surprised or disappointed. At the time of writing he remains unemployed, with all the good jobs having been taken. The job Hughes thought he might get went to Alex McLeish!

Hughes did quite well for Fulham, no doubt: the main goal was to not break Roy Hodgson's well-oiled machine, and despite a few hairy moments he succeeded at that and maybe took the machine to a new level of... oiledness. Once Bobby Zamora came back from injury we really did look a serious side. A side indeed who scored more points in the second half of the season, than all but the top five teams. But then, following an eighth place finish and with European football secured, Hughes decided to move on to bigger and better things, and now we had to start again, again.

By happy coincidence Jol was available. You may recall that we nearly hired him last summer. Fulham thought they had their man, but Ajax dug their heels in. These things usually resolve themselves in the favour of the courting party, but no, his contract was water-tight and Fulham's board returned from Amsterdam with egg on their faces.

This time around Fulham wasted no time in confirming his appointment, thus avoiding the stasis of Roy Hodgson's last days. Club favourite Ray Lewington was restored to first team duties (having been dumped into the academy by Hughes and his henchmen) and normal service resumed, as Jol set about replicating our 2008/09 assault on Europe.

We have had to do this the hard way, as Fair Play teams start from the very beginning of the Europa League. This leads to an element of roughing it and the chance of slipping on banana skins in faraway places, but so far so good. We've beaten NSI Runavik from the Faroe Islands 3-0 on aggregate (3-0 here, 0-0 there), Crusaders from Northern Ireland 7-1 (3-1 there, 4-0 here), and RNK Split 2-0 (0-0 there, 2-0 here). We now face Dnipro of Ukraine in the play-off round to reach the Europa League proper. In the background we've been unimpressive in friendlies, but you can't have everything, can you?

What next then? Roy Hodgson was wonderful for Fulham but seemed to mistrust young players, so his legacy (via Hughes) is a good but old squad. Jol appears to have seen this quickly and has acted to improve the situation. Dan Burn from Darlington, Tom Donegan from Everton, Pajtim Kasami from Palermo and Marcel Gecov from Slovan Liberec are all much younger than our usual newcomers, and Jol has already featured the teenaged Matthew Briggs and Kerim 'Barry' Frei in the European games with impressive results. Hopefully he can blend experience and youth and continue the club's upwards trajectory for a few seasons. John Arne Riise – our other 'big' signing – isn't exactly one for the future, but we really did need a left back and he seems like a terrific catch.

We are in need of another forward or two and at the moment it looks like Birmingham's Cameron Jerome is on the radar. This wasn't quite what we had in mind, but so far Jol's transfer business has been carried out very much under the radar, so what happens next is anyone's guess. The midfield seems well set (how will the club replace the evergreen Danny Murphy when he eventually hangs up his boots?) and while Jol wants pace out wide, we're already well off for attacking midfield types, so there doesn't seem to be much point in reinforcing this position. Equally, we have a good defence and two excellent goalkeepers. So Jol can take his time and pick up talent where he finds it, without having to force the issue.

All of which adds up to another top half finish, we hope. People seem to have focused on 8th or 9th as realistic targets, and that seems fair, although we must remind ourselves not to take this Premier League lark for granted – better, richer clubs than us have struggled in the past. So 2011/12 will be another case of ensuring survival as soon as possible, then hopefully having some fun in Europe. Good times.

Richard Allen writes at http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com. The Fulham Review, his annual review of last season is out now available for a fiver, and can be purchased from www.godsfoot.com. His first book, 'When Football Was Football: Fulham' is out in September. You can also follow him on twitter @richallenfulham

http://headersandvolleys.co.uk/2011/08/10/the-summer-so-far-fulham/

WhiteJC

Walton Casuals 2 – 1 Fulham XI
by LORK on AUGUST 10, 2011

A lovely evening and a 30 mile round trip on a bicycle was the scene for a Fulham reserve game against the side that finished 12th in the Ryman Southern League last season. Walton Casuals welcomed what was effectively an U20 side without any of the players threatening to break into the first team (Frei, Briggs, Kasami, Etheridge and Dalla Valle were all absent although new signing Casper Somogyi started in goal).

The match started brightly for the young Fulham side, who only took 20 seconds to create a half chance; the ball was clipped over the defence and Trotta with just the keeper to beat couldn't put away what was an awkward 20 yard volley. It wasn't long until Fulham did make their breakthrough though. Alexis, a young striker on trial at Fulham featuring in his second game for the club, caught the Casuals defence totally square and rounded the goalkeeper to tap into an empty net, a composed finish from someone who did not look out of place with the Academy graduates and would have been pleased with his overally performance as he tries to make an impression.

The part timers were struggling with Fulham's passing game and closing down so it was no suprise that the young Whites had all the attacking pressure and continued making chances and forcing saves and clearances, including one which created after the Casuals left back Chris Asante, who had a first half riddled with mistakes, inexplicably gave the ball away; two touches later and the Italian, who at just 16 cost £1 million, was through on goal, but dwelt too long on the ball and the defence got back in numbers to clear it. Kacaniklic was causing trouble with his runs, and Minkwitz was controlling the midfield, but the failure to make this pressure count would come back to haunt them as the Casuals slowly came more into the game. The closing down was much more intense from the hosts, and while nothing too threatening was coming from them in terms of chances they were passing the ball better (I overheard a conversation with a Walton player who suggested we got complacent and assumed it'd be a walk in the park).

There was still nothing to suggest that Somogyi's goal was under threat but after a Casuals striker demonstrated nice balance and control to dummy two Fulham defenders they won a freekick 25 yards out. Instead of the usual strike at goal a training ground routine caught out the Fulham defence and after Somogyi made a good save from 10 yards the ball fell to an orange shirt who couldnt miss a tap in with the goal gaping. Buoyed by this goal, the Casuals started to control the game and should have gone two up when a long ball in behind the defence caught the Fulham defence out inexplicably but Somogyi saved what was a simple one-on-one chance. There should have been a second for Fulham too. Brister broke down the right and put in a cross into a decent area. Instead of catching it the goalie dropped the ball at Alexis' feet and was denied what should have been a tap in when he was seemingly pulled to the floor by a defender, but the ref saw nothing and allowed play to go on.

It was just a brief reprieve however and once again the Fulham defence was caught out by another long ball down the centre of defence. This time they weren't so lucky when Chris Drake dispatched a first time finish with aplomb. It could have been worse after a Casuals attacker was brought down in the box, but it was a poor penalty which was smothered by Somogyi, his last key action of the game as he was subbed at half time to be replaced by Marcus Bettinelli

The second half continued where the first left off. The passing from Fulham seemed erratic and Minkwitz was almost totally out of the game. Bettinelli had little to do though and having weathered the storm the superior athleticism and fitness of the Fulham players began to tell. Brister was replaced by Miscah  at right midfield shortly after the break, the second trialist of the evening, and against the tiring legs of Walton Casuals he really stood out. Miscah soon became the main attacking outlet, even with 10 or 15 yards on him Asante couldn't catch him and more often than not he had an end product too.

The last 20 minutes were totally dominated by Fulham and they should have put at least one of their chances away. Kacaniklic scuffed a one on one and another went to waste after an attempt to round the keeper took it out of play. The post was struck from a fierce 20 yard free kick and it seemed as if the Whites were set for a disappointing evening, but Woodrow, a summer signing from Luton and substitute for Alexis, looked bright and Miscah's scorching runs down the side of the pitch really stood out. Still, no breakthrough was made and it finished 2-1, a good results for the hosts but the Fulham side would have felt that they could have done better.

Reserve manager Billy McKinlay had this to say after the game:

"Overall it was disappointing, we expected to do a lot better than we did tonight," he said. "We started the game quite well, scored the goal but then got bogged down and never got going after that. They hit us with two quick goals, which caused us a problem.

"We passed it better in the second-half, created two or three chances and should have taken a couple of them. We should be doing better, fitness wasn't a problem, but there's obviously a lack of match practice for a number of the players.

"We've got a lot of work to do, both individually and as a team to make sure that we're getting good progression and reaching higher levels of performance."

Here are my impressions of the players:

Somogyi looks like a good shot stopper, didn't see him come out for a cross though but maybe any crosses put in he couldn't come out for, I wasn't in the best position to judge. The full backs Dean and Smith both like to go forward, Smith looked the better of the two and demonstrated some nice subtle touches and runs on the ball. The centre backs were caught out really badly twice with the two long balls. Arthurworry didn't stand out as much as Burn (another summer signing, this one from Darlington for a hefty fee if I recall correctly) but maybe that's because Burn is huge, although I do remember that he made a few forward runs with the ball. Burn dealt with almost everything in the air other than one which he misjudged but no striker anticipated it. Pritchard started in midfield which I was suprised with, I thought he was a striker, and he looked ok but I didn't particuarly pay attention to him. Minkwitz was the better and more attacking of the two central midfielders from what I saw, getting about the pitch demanding possession and playing accurate passes with a nice first touch. Brister made some nice attacking plays and seems at times quite arrogant on the ball (which is what you want to see from attackers), at one stage so determined to beat his man he must have tried to get round him by using feints for 10 or 20 seconds. On the other side Kacaniklic seemed to have better dribbling ability and a bit more agility than Brister.

The trialist upfront Alexis looks very bright and worth a contract if this is the standard he has to aspire too, sharp with some neat close control, nice burst of acceleration too. As for Trotta, I had really high hopes for him when he joined but every time I see him he fails to make an impression. I think he struggles a bit with the pace of football here because he dwells on the ball when he faces the opposition goal too much (compared to Zamora who holds it with his back to goal). There were a couple of subs too. Brister was replaced by Miscah, another trialist who is worth a contract. He was on the opposite side of the pitch to me so I couldn't always see what he did with the ball at his feet but his fantastic pace is very obvious and he usually had an end product too. Cauley Woodrow was the second sub, and he played deeper than Alexis did, like a second striker or attacking midfielder and wondered about in the final half of the pitch. He has a bit of flair, attempting a backheel and a couple of tricks, and a stand out moment for me was when he evaded a challenge and played a first time crossfield ball to Miscah, so yeah he looks good.

Anyway that's my $0.02 on the reserve game!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/walton-casuals-2-1-fulham-xi/?

WhiteJC

Loaner Report 8/10/11

Woah now, it took us until February to do a loaner report last season, yet here we are with one barely into the second week of August. And I've got a feeling we may be seeing many more of these.

David Stockdale started, played 90 minutes, and made 6 saves in Ipswich Town's 3-0 win at Bristol City on Saturday. He did not dress in the Tractor Boys' 2-1 loss to Northampton Town in the Carling Cup First Round on Tuesday.

Danny Hoesen started and played 90 minutes in Fortuna Sittard's 1-0 loss to Sparta Rotterdam in the Dutch Eerste Divisie. That's Eerste, not Eredivisie.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/loaner-report-81011/?

WhiteJC

Fulham FC to return for Bundesliga striker

Fulham FC are eyeing a return move for Borussia Dortmund forward Mohamed Zidan with the West London club having initially been previously interested in the 29 year old four years ago.

The striker is deemed surplus to requirements at the German Champions with Jurgen Klopp looking to cash in on the player as he looks to make his final adjustments before embarking on the Champions League. The Eygypt international has spent the majority of his career in Germany but would fancy a Premiership switch although he is looking to remain in Dortmund to fight for his place this season.

Fulham are likely to mount a bid worth around £4m for the striker who has scored 13 league goals in 64 appearances for the Bundesliga club since 2008.

http://www.footybunker.com/fulham-fc-to-return-for-bundesliga-striker/9249

WhiteJC

McLeish relishing battle with "well-drilled and skilful" Fulham outfit
Alex McLeish previews Fulham opener.

Alex McLeish has called for his players to win their own individual battles all over the pitch in order to see off a "well-drilled and skilful" Fulham side.

McLeish is a firm admirer of this weekend's opponents and insists it's a really tough opener for his team.

He has called on his players to stand up and be counted as they search for a maximum haul on the first weekend of the campaign.

He said: "This weekend we play a very good Fulham side. They are very sure in themselves and it will be a tough opener for us but we plan on going down there and upsetting that.

"I saw them last week in a European game and they won that routinely. They are a very well drilled side with no little skill also.

"They have some terrific performers up front. Damien Duff is an explosive winger and Bobby Zamora who for me is one of the best receivers of the ball in the Premier League.

"We have to make sure our lads are aware of what Fulham can do. But at the same time there are no real surprises there for any of our players.

"They know the Fulham boys inside out. Lads like James Collins and Richard Dunne have played against the likes of Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson and Clint Dempsey before.

"It's about making sure you're on top of your opponent and winning the 50-50 battles - I know it's a cliché - but it's about that.

"If we dominate those players we have a good chance of getting a good result."

Meanwhile, McLeish has hailed young starlet Fabian Delph and experienced ace Emile Heskey on the eve of the upcoming term.

The Villa boss believes both men can play significant roles for his side this season.

He added: "Emile's experience is phenomenal. He has enormous experience.

"He has played for England at the top level. He has played for several top managers over the years so he has learnt a lot.

"Discarding his kind of knowledge and his skills would be crazy.

"I have to tap into a guy like that. I have to use him to the full.

"There is no guarantee Emile will play every single week but he has certainly impressed me in pre-season.

"We're also now looking for lads like Fabian to make a real breakthrough.

"Villa invested a lot of money in him as a young player and he looks a quality, quality player.

"If he can steer clear of injury then he can make a significant contribution this season."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2416247,00.html?

WhiteJC

Decision on fixtures
Fans wait ahead of Premier League opening weekend

The Premier League and Football League will announce on Thursday whether any of this weekend's fixtures will be postponed.

The London riots, and subsequent outbreaks around the country, have led to concern about a number of games ahead of the Premier League's opening weekend.

England's high-profile clash with Holland at Wembley was abandoned on Tuesday, whilst five Carling Cup games were also postponed.

Now league officials are meeting with police to decide which games, if any, may need to be called off.

The main concern has been the scheduled Premier League games in the capital this weekend, with Tottenham due to play Everton, QPR hosting Bolton and Fulham playing Aston Villa.
Liverpool, who are due to play Sunderland, and Everton have also called for calm after Merseyside was hit by outbreaks of rioting.

The Premier League are set to make an announcement later on Thursday about their games, so stay with skysports.com throughout the day as we will bring you all the breaking news about this weekend's fixtures.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11677_7092785,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham Fanview: 'If Bobby Zamora delivers we can realise our ambitions & also derail Chelsea's title bid'
"I wouldn't say no to a good run in both the domestic cups, culminating in a cup final appearance!" - A Cottagers fan offers his views ahead of the new Premier League season

The target: Europa League spot

I always reckon that an improvement on the previous season makes a realistic target. Last year, a good run-in saw us climb the table and finish in a very healthy position. This season, with Mark Hughes now gone, it'll be interesting to see how Martin Jol performs with a squad that has the ability to finish in the top seven. Therefore, let's set the target relatively high and go for a Europa League place (again). Although, I wouldn't say no to a good run in both the domestic cups, culminating in a cup final appearance!

My thoughts on the gaffer...

It came as a surprise when Hughes upped sticks but when you consider it was Martin Jol we were courting after Roy Hodgson chose to go to Liverpool, last summer, his appointment does make good sense.

At Tottenham he finished fifth in consecutive seasons so it's fair to say he knows the Premier League. It'll be interesting to see if he makes any serious changes to the squad but I'm optimistic that we've got the right man for the job.

Our key man this season
I'll select Bobby Zamora. The broken leg he suffered last season, against Wolverhampton Wanderers affected our goalscoring abilities hard. Bobby was cut down in his prime and his charge towards a starting place in the England side was well merited.

I'm expecting Bobby to be our top scorer and if he delivers we stand a very good chance of realising our ambitions.

Zamora for England? Most definitely!

Youngster to watch

It’s always hard for a youngster to force his way into a side. The expectation levels are so high in the Premier League and mistakes are often seen as being good enough reason to cast a youngster back into reserve football. But young Matthew Briggs has impressed in a pre-season where friendly fixtures have been sacrificed in order to satisfy the necessity to qualify for the Europa League the hard way.

If any youngster can make an impression this season it'll be Master Briggs!

A player who must deliver

Andrew Johnson – The last two seasons have seen our expensive striker hit hard by injuries. There are many amongst the Craven Cottage faithful who would suggest he's not really repaid the huge amount we paid for him.

If he can keep free of injury then this could be his redemption season, if not, it could well be his last season at Craven Cottage.

Our Achilles' heel

The Europa League qualification journey! Come March/April we could find that our small squad hits the barriers, even more so if we suffer injuries to key members of the team. Then there's the small matter of our awful away form. In the Premier League, you count the number of victories we've had in the last two seasons on one hand!

Fixture I am looking forward to the most...

Chelsea at Craven Cottage! It's your original west London cup final. There'll be a fantastic atmosphere, hopefully it'll be played under the floodlights and hopefully we can derail their title bid, even more so after we missed a glorious chance last time around to wipe the smirk off their faces when Clint Dempsey missed a late, late penalty!

Our toughest opponents will be...

Anyone we play away from home. Our away record is bad, we seem to get stage fright and we don't look anywhere near as effective as we do when playing at Craven Cottage. Hopefully Jol can turn matters around because if we are to sneak a Europa League place, away from the hardship of qualifying through the Fair Play League, then I get the impression we'll need some points on the road!

Player we love to hate

Wayne Rooney – How much is he on? Serious money that typifies everything that is wrong with our game today. It's too money-driven with too many players taking too much out of the game when clubs are dying on their feet. Clubs that would die for a cash injection equivalent of a week's wage that some of them earn. And as for Rooney, doesn't everybody outside of Old Trafford hate him?

My first choice XI

SCHWARZER

BAIRD   HANGELAND  HUGHES  J.A.RIISE

DEMPSEY   MURPHY  ETUHU  DUFF

ZAMORA  JOHNSON

My verdict

As usual, I'm looking forward to the start of the new season. Sure it'll bring some angst but at this stage of the season doesn't everybody harbour dreams that this could be their year, that they could be parading a trophy around their borough come next May. It's part and parcel of being a football fan is it not?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/08/11/2613470/fulham-fanview-if-bobby-zamora-delivers-we-can-realise-our?

WhiteJC

VIEW FROM THE ENEMY: Fulham Fan On MJ Statue, Hughes and Nani

Our first View from the Enemy of the day is from Kris Balkin from Cottagers Confidential, who has shed some light on that awful Michael Jackson statue and Mark Hughes' ridiculous departure.

Scott the Red: Were you happy with your Fulham's performance last season?
Kris Balkin: More than. As much as he may have riled us come season's end, with his untimely departure, Mark Hughes did a solid job for us and the promise that all his sides are 'end of season teams' certainly became evidential. We finished on a high and there's no doubt 8th place is an achievement, given the short amount of time Sparky had with us to work with the squad and make acquisitions. It would have been nice to have an extended cup run, especially given our demolition of Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup. The 4-0 win was probably our highlight of the season but to say it was disappointing to be defeated by Bolton in the next round, on home turf too, would be an understatement. Still, an improvement in away form with solid wins at Stoke and Sunderland, for example, made 2010/11 quite a welcoming hangover from our Europa League exploits of the previous campaign.

STR: Who were your most important players?
KB: As always Danny Murphy has been pivotal to the way we play and as always half the home crowd will bemoan his 'lacklustre legs' and claim he's past it. The fact still remains that everything goes through him and, even with his pace diminishing rapidly and his sharp awareness slowly dwindling, his eye for a pass is still ever-present and unrivalled. Brede Hangeland and the unsung Aaron Hughes continue to add a degree of consistency and robustness to our defence, which makes us incredibly tough to break down. Their partnership is borderline one of the best in the league (I'd give the no.1 spot to you guys) and if they aren't broken up and are used effectively, Premier League safety is almost assured already.

STR: Are you hoping to add to what you've got though to push up the table? How have Fulham done in the transfer market this summer?
KB: It's difficult to say at this early stage because a lot of Jol's signings have been young talent who may not break into the first team just yet. John Arne Riise is solid, without a doubt. If he can offer us half of what he did with Liverpool, and add that to the experience he gained abroad with Roma, then he will prove to be one of the shrewder Premier League acquisitions this year. Dan Burn of Darlington and Csaba Somogyi will be unlikely to feature throughout the season, but Pajtim Kasami, signed from Palermo, has already made a decent impact in the twenty or so minutes on the pitch he has been given. He looks skilful and at such a tender age could well be big for us. Marcel Gecov has also joined, and has certainly proved to be aspirational with his words, but with our current crop of players he'd do well to get a central midfield role.

STR: What are your aspirations for this season?
KB: A top ten finish would be wonderful, but taking into account the battle we will be fighting on three other fronts, survival will do us just fine. Arguably, Fulham fans are the most down-to-earth and realistic football fans around, and that's why you'll see plenty of us writing off and European challenge already. We have a new manager and a new style of play so it's difficult to assume whether another European adventure will be forthcoming, but anything is possible. No matter how we do abroad though, some kind of silverware would be nice. I think most would be content with either 9th place and some decent cup runs, or a place in a final and 12th or 13th standing in the Premier League.

STR: After Hughes did a good job in the short time he was there, how do you rate Jol's ability to take the club forward?
KB: I'm always the first to provide some scepticism but it's quite tough with Martin Jol. He's a man of much experience and his humble nature is certainly fitting with the way Fulham is ran in general. Taking the club forward, however, would be difficult for most magicians and Jol's overhaul is perhaps unnecessary. Hodgson and Hughes did wonderful continuity jobs and our standing in the league right now can be greatly owed to the two (far more the former, though), yet Jol appears intent on change. Granted, at some point it will be required, but I'd like to see some things kept the same. The Dutchman has promised 'total football', though I'd assume a 'Total Football Lite' is what we'll really see. The signings he has made appear intelligent and forward thinking, but it's the style of play that worries me most immediately. Will it suit us? We'll have to wait and see.

STR: Where do you think you will finish this season?
KB If we do well in Europe, 13th place. If we concentrate domestically, we can achieve 9th.

STR: If you are to do well domestically or on the continent, which players do you think will most important in helping you achieve this?
KB: Bobby Zamora's return from injury proved vital last season and the fact he's here from the start this year should be crucial again. By the end of the 08/09 season, most Fulham fans wanted him out but a move to Hull City broke down and both parties have never looked back. Zamora has hit the big time with international football and Fulham are indebted to his goals. Yet again, his finishing and his aerial ability should provide a bundle of goals, especially given our wider approach to game under Jol. Expect to see Bobby's head on the end of tonnes of crosses this coming year.

STR: Which two current United players would you most want at your club?
KB: Wayne Rooney could fit astutely into any team on the planet, so I would undoubtedly allow him to lead our front line. The lad has been blessed with abundant talent and yet he fuses it with a love for the game. Such a player is rare to find these days. Alongside him I'd take Nani who, admittedly, is very hot and cold, but when hot is impossible to cool down.

STR: Who will finish in the top 4? Who will go down?
KB: Top Four I'd suggest Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool; probably in that order too. You lot have yet again undergone a revolution and there's no other way to look at it than with positivity. Ashley Young already looks menacing in a red shirt and you shouldn't miss Scholes too much. City will improve slightly while Chelsea haven't been active enough in the transfer market for my liking. Liverpool have been over-hyped by Daglish worshippers and I think their season will be more topsy-turvy than most believe.

STR: Finally, I can't talk to a Fulham fan without asking them about that Michael Jackson statue. What's your opinion on it?
KB: To be frank, I was disgusted when it came up but I suppose it's quite quirky. For what Al Fayed has done for Fulham FC, it may just be worth becoming a temporary laughing stock in exchange for his money and devotion.
STR: Ha, fair point. Cheers and all the best for the season.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/view-from-the-enemy-fulham-fan-on-mj-statue-hughes-and-nani/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=view-from-the-enemy-fulham-fan-on-mj-statue-hughes-and-nani

Fletchino

I'm a bit surprised that no place in the team for dembele in goal fulham fans 11

WhiteJC

Aaron On Target

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes helped keep Northern Ireland's hopes of qualifying for the Euro 2012 finals alive on Wednesday night, scoring the first goal in a four-nil victory over the Faroe Islands. It was Hughes' first international goal after 13 years of action for Northern Ireland.

After dropping two points to the Faroe Islands earlier in their qualifying campaign, Hughes and company made no mistake on Wednesday night and the Northern Ireland captain was delighted to secure three points from what was a must-win game.

"I'm delighted for everyone tonight," said Hughes after the game. "We thought it would be a tough game and that they [Faroe Islands] would make it difficult for us and they did.

"They were very defensive. They didn't really occupy our centre halves and that gave us a bit more freedom to go and attack them.

"We had to be patient and we had to build up. To come away with a 4-0 win, we have to be happy with that. This puts us in a fantastic position in the group. The way other results were going meant we were always in it."

Hughes paid tribute to teammate Paddy McCourt after seeing the Celtic midfielder score two wonder goals during a commanding performance that has boosted Northern Ireland's chances of qualifying for the Euro 2012 finals. Hughes and company will now face Serbia and Estonia in early September.

"I'm always impressed with Paddy," said Hughes. "He makes things look so easy. It's a big comparison but you look at players like George Best and (Lionel) Messi and then you look at Paddy and for some reason he makes it look that easy.

"He's so laid back too - it's his manner. He can go from walking pace to exploding past someone in a second and that's a very good skill to have.

"His feet and his ball control are fantastic. He certainly brings some quality to our side and hopefully if we have him in the team then we can win."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/HughesScoresNI.aspx?#ixzz1UiRBIO1M

WhiteJC

Nigeria: Siasia Blacklists Etuhu

Fulham midfielder, Dickson Etuhu may not play for the national team in the foreseeable future after he turned down a late invitation handed him by the Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia.

The coach was in dire need of players to strengthen his squad that would face the Black Stars of Ghana in an international friendly game yesterday following the withdrawal of many of the players earlier invited for the match. Siasia had invited Etuhu and Danny Shittu as late inclusion to the team, but Etuhu reportedly turned down the invite, a development that irked the national team coach.

But according to a source close to the team in a chat with The Moment from London, the coach has decided not to invite the player in any of the game he would superintend over in the nearest future due to such act.

'Siasia was highly disappointed about what Etuhu did. It is not as if he was not in Siasia's plan, the coach wanted to call him up for future games, but now I don't think he would do that again because he is very unhappy about what the player did,' he said.

Etuhu has not featured for the national team since last year, when Coach Siasia took over the management of the national team.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201108110342.html?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa: Emile Heskey set to start against Fulham
Aug 11 2011 By Mat Kendrick

EMILE Heskey is set to start Saturday's Premier League kick-off at Fulham after impressing Alex McLeish in an unorthodox left-wing role during pre-season.

McLeish has hinted at keeping faith in Heskey for the trip to Craven Cottage and believes the striker's experience could be invaluable to Villa this season.

With Charles N'Zogbia expected to get the nod on the right wing, Heskey could keep his place on the left flank against Martin Jol's Cottagers.

Not since his early days at Leicester under Martin O'Neill has Heskey had a regular role on the flank.

Heskey enters the final year of his contract hoping to win over the claret and blue faithful once and for all after a mixed two-and-a-half-year stay so far.

The 33-year-old showed his best form during the early parts of Gerard Houllier's rein before losing his place to Darren Bent after Christmas.

There was speculation Heskey's former club Leicester would come in for him this summer, but a £1 million price tag and £50,000-per-week wages put them off.

McLeish is happy to keep the former England forward for the final 12 months of his deal because his years of Premier League know-how can help Villa's young squad.

"His experience is phenomenal," said McLeish. "He has enormous experience. He has played for England at the top level, he has played for several top managers over the years so he has learnt a lot.

"Discarding his kind of knowledge and his skills would be crazy. I have to tap in to a guy like that. I have to use him to the full.

"There is no guarantee Emile will play every single week but he has certainly impressed me in pre-season.

"Against Braga you saw Emile getting in the box, he had another terrific game. I've been very impressed with the guy as a man, he's a humble pro."

Fulham have a head-start over Villa in terms of match fitness having kicked off their season with an early Europa League tie on June 29.

Since then they have played another five competitive games in Europe and McLeish watched their 2-0 home victory over NK Split, of Croatia, last week.

He has challenged his players to win their individual battles to produce a collective performance good enough to kick off Villa's campaign with a positive result.

"This weekend we play a very good Fulham side," said McLeish.

"They are very sure in themselves and it will be a tough opener for us, but we plan on going down there and upsetting that.

"I saw them last week in a European game and they won that routinely.

"They are a very well-drilled side with no little skill also.

"We have to make sure our lads are aware of what Fulham can do. But at the same time there are no real surprises there for any of our players.

"They know the Fulham boys inside out.

"It's about making sure you're on top of your opponent and the 50-50 battles. If we dominate those players we have a good chance of getting a good result."

Jean Makoun and Chris Herd will sign club merchandise at an autograph session for supporters at the Villa Village store at Villa Park from 2.30-3.30pm today.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-fc-news/2011/08/11/aston-villa-emile-heskey-set-to-start-against-fulham-97319-29219214/?

WhiteJC

Fulham V Aston Villa Match Preview

Martin Jol takes charge of his first Premier League games as Fulham boss after replacing Mark Hughes. The Welsh manager guided them to a very respectable eighth position in 2010/11 but left after just a solitary season in the dugout. Jol has been relatively quiet in the transfer market but has pulled off a very shrewd signing in the form of John Arne Riise who will provide plenty of energy and experience down the left not to mention his rocket of a shot. Apart from him it's pretty much unchanged with Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey providing the sparks up front and Brede Hangeland keeping it tight at the back.

Aston Villa have a new manager as well in the form of Alex McLeish who left rivals Birmingham to take the reins at Villa Park. He's already spent big this summer bringing in Shay Given to replace Brad Friedel and Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan. The latter will act as a direct replacement for Stewart Downing and Ashley Young who both left this summer in big money moves to Liverpool and Manchester United respectively. With the predatory instincts of Darren Bent up front Villa have a regular source of goals and the addition of N'Zogbia makes for an exciting front line.

Both teams have squads capable of easily achieving a top 10 finish. However, this game is likely to end in a stalemate with two new bosses still trying to fathom their tactics and starting line ups for the season ahead.

Prediction: 1-1

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/08/football-news/fulham-v-aston-villa

WhiteJC

Road To Fulham: Will Aston Villa's Season Start On Saturday?

I expected a long road to Fulham. After all, waiting for the first match of the Premier League season is always a bit agonizing. But now, it seems we might have to wait just a bit longer to see our beloved Aston Villa take the pitch. It's like we're sitting in a traffic jam on the way to Craven Cottage, torn between risking getting out of the car to see what's up ahead and staying behind the wheel in case we start moving again.

Sorry for the tedious metaphors, but this is a bit of a tough issue to address. Yes, we all want the Premier League to start again. Yet should our match be canceled, to be angry would seem petty. Both London and Birmingham (and other cities) experienced needless looting and destruction of property. People lost their homes and their livelihoods. And while Fulham is typically a safe area, I can't help thinking that providing the police presence necessary at matches would take away from the forces needed to keep the cities calm.

It does seem likely that the matches will go ahead this weekend (except Spurs v Everton, which has already been canceled), but we're meant to find out at 6pm UK time. If they do, wonderful, and I only hope that there's no reason to fear that the UK will fall into madness -- beyond football madness -- once again. If they don't, please remember that there is life beyond the football, and perhaps use that time into giving a little something back to your neighborhoods -- just like so many spontaneously did after the riots.

http://www.7500toholte.com/2011/8/11/2356975/fulham-aston-villa-possible-postponed?

WhiteJC

New directive to protect refs
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has revealed a new directive to give referees more protection and respect this season.

At the official launch of the new season in London this morning, Scudamore said the 'Get on with the game' campaign would look to reduce the number of incidents of dissent towards officials from players and managers.

He told a news conference: "We've gone to the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOB) and asked them what will help them.

"We came up with a reduction in disrespectful behaviour, turning backs on referees and we don't want players surrounding referees, as well as the conduct of managers.

"In post-match interviews we don't want to stamp out constructive criticism, but it's more about the colour and the disrespectful language."

Scudamore was joined by West Brom manager Roy Hodgson, and he endorsed the move.

"Referees are an integral part of our game and some times we are less kind to them than we should be," he said.

"We all make mistakes, managers, players and referees.

"If we are caught out letting our emotions run away with us, we know the day after we are wrong and that we shouldn't do it.

"These initiatives are really important and we really need to stress it."

Hodgson continued: "If you don't behave properly, how can you expect the younger people around you to behave properly?

"Maybe [we should] try to encourage players to stop seeing referees as some sort of fearful policeman-type figure who's got nothing to go with the game of football and embrace the fact he's there to do his job as well.

"He's got a performance to put on on a Saturday afternoon on which he's going to be judged and through which he'll either continue as a (top-flight) referee and go up the ladder or unfortunately, like the snake, slide down the ladder."

Scudamore is convinced the new initiative will lead to a reduction in incidents of match officials being disrespected.

"My confidence is born out of discussions we had over the summer," he said.

"We heralded the idea we were going to look at something over the summer. It's the first time we've met with all the player together. We met with [Professional Footballers' Association chief executive] Gordon Taylor, representatives of players from all the clubs. That was very positive.

"They to a man said the relationship between the referees and players had improved since the 2008 launch.

"They were keen to make sure we didn't throw all those things out. The players themselves understand.

"All the managers have been to pre-season meetings - again, very very constructive.

"My confidence comes from the willingness of those people to engage in this discussion.

"Of course we're all waiting on the first incident - there's always going to be incidents. We're looking to reduce the incidents, but we won't eliminate them."

Manchester City coach Patrick Vieira, who will be in the dugout this season following a long and distinguished playing career, hailed the kit scheme, saying all the players were proud to be a part of it.

"It's really important because the kids love the game and recognise the players as role models," said the former France captain.

"What is very important is that all the players from different clubs have come together for the same project. That makes it very special. We're really proud to be part of this."

Spurs defender Michael Dawson said: "It's great. When the lads spoke about doing this we didn't have to think twice. A lot of players have their own charities - certainly at Tottenham we have the SOS village in South Africa which the lads fund; we sponsor each child on a yearly basis - and this is great from the Premier League."

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/7093201/New-directive-to-protect-refs?