more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/08/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 12, 2011, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Murphy's Law: Shock horror, no-one has tipped Fulham for the drop

London24 Fulham blogger Paul Murphy is optimistic about the Whites' chances this season

The fantasy teams have been chopped and changed, the pundits have had their say (Surprising none of them have tipped Fulham for the drop), and not even carnage on the streets of England could stop it.

The kick off to the 2011-2012 Premier League season is only hours away.

Fulham of course have already been in European action but at 3pm tomorrow the real business starts as Fulham host Aston Villa.

Both teams start the campaign with new managers and Martin Jol and Alex McLeish will be eager to get a win under their belt. Come 5pm I think it will be Mr Jol the happier of the two as the Whites get off to a winning start.

Fulham have always been strong at home and have got in the habit of getting results and match sharpness as a team, from the Europa qualifiers. Villa on the other hand lost two of their best players, Young and Friedel, and not had game time to gel. On top of that the fans are already on McLeish's back, due to his previous employers.

As for the up and coming season I think we are in for a very good season down by the Thames.

Like I said before Jol has inherited a squad of players that know how to gain points at home, no matter who the opposition.

The promising additions already to the squad and Jol's attacking mentality will allow us to gain more wins on the road.

Hopefully by the end of the month we can make that one big signing and turn this from a very good season into a great season, Wembley or Bucharest I'm not bothered.

Prediction: Fulham 3 Aston Villa 1

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/murphy_s_law_shock_horror_no_one_has_tipped_fulham_for_the_drop_1_992132?

WhiteJC

Dembele makes Fulham vow

MOUSSA Dembele is desperate not to let his new boss down.

Martin Jol has tipped the Belgian ace for big things at Fulham this season after an injury-ravaged first year at Craven Cottage where he managed just three league goals.

The pair know each other from their time in Holland when Jol was manager of Ajax and Dembele played for AZ Alkmaar in the Dutch Eredivisie.

Forward Dembele has been told he is expected to deliver - and the Belgian has promised to live up to the expectations.

He vowed: "The manager knows me already and knows how to use me. He's given me confidence.

"The coach has confidence in the whole group and has told me to 'show what I've got'.

"I had a few injuries last season and feel I have a lot more to show the fans. I want to score more and I think I can do that this year with a bit of luck."

Fulham begin the long Premier League slog at home to Aston Villa tomorrow (Saturday). Dembele reckons the Whites can better last season's eighth place - even with the extra workload of a Europa League campaign.

"We want to do better than last year, although it might be tougher because we're in the Europa League as well," he said.

"I think the Premier League is stronger than last season. There've been a few good players that have come to England and every year it seems to gets better."

Fulham had a nightmare first half of the season last time around and were flirting with the drop at Christmas. Dembele is aiming to fly out of the blocks against Alex McLeish's men at Craven Cottage.

He added: "It's always easier if you have a better start, and that's what we're aiming to do."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/08/12/dembele-makes-fulham-vow-82029-29223400/?

WhiteJC

Fulham - Aston Villa Preview: Martin Jol and Alex McLeish both target winning start for new clubs
Former Spurs manager hopes for successful return to the Premier League with the Cottagers, while the Scottish boss must silence angry fans with positive start to season

PROBABLE LINEUPS
FULHAM

Schwarzer
Baird, A. Hughes, Hangeland, J. Riise
Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey
Dembele, Zamora
ASTON VILLA

Given
Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock
Albrighton, Petrov, Bannan, N'Zogbia
Heskey, Bent

Summer signing John Arne Riise will likely be the only new face in an otherwise settled Fulham starting XI, as new boss Martin Jol looks to capitalise on the match sharpness borne out of his side's involvement in Europa League qualifying to make a fast start to the season.

Target man Bobby Zamora, fit again after missing five months of last season with a broken leg, will be the focal point of the attack as he looks to hold the ball up in the final third and allow the likes of Moussa Dembele, Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey to exert influence on proceedings.

New boss Alex McLeish will be forced to reshape the Villa midfield after the high profile departures of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing this summer and the absence of Jean Makoun and Stephen Ireland through injury.

Scotland international Barry Bannan will most probably deputise in the centre alongside captain Stilian Petrov, while Marc Albrighton and new signing Charles N'Zogbia will likely switch flanks throughout in a bid to provide the service for Emile Heskey and key man Darren Bent.

DID YOU KNOW?
Both managers will be overseeing their first Premier League matches in charge of their new teams on Saturday.
N'Zogbia and Given of Aston Villa and Riise (pictured right) of Fulham are set to make their Premier League debuts for their new clubs.

Fulham and Aston Villa were separated by just one league position – Fulham in 8th, Aston Villa in 9th – and just one point in last season's final Premier League table.

Both meetings between these two sides last season ended as draws.

Fulham have never lost at Craven Cottage on the opening day of a Premier League season.

Despite clocking up 322 matches between them in English football since 2004, Jol and McLeish have never actually faced each other in management. Jol was sacked from Tottenham Hotspur in October 2007, one month before McLeish took charge at Birmingham City.

This is the first time Fulham have kicked off a Premier League campaign at Craven Cottage since the 2005/06 season, when they drew 0-0 at home to Birmingham City.

Aston Villa striker Bent will fancy his chances of scoring on Saturday – he has found the net on the opening day in four of the last six Premier League seasons.

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell could be in line to face former club Aston Villa.

For Fulham's Andrew Johnson and Stephen Kelly, an opening day victory over Aston Villa might be even sweeter than usual as both are former Birmingham City players.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/60150/fulham-vs-aston-villa/preview

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs Villa

Villa will travel to the capital tomorrow to take on Fulham at Craven Cottage in our opening fixture. Like ourselves, The Cottagers have been ringing the changes during preseason with a brand new gaffer in charge after Mark Hughes` acrimonious departure. However, it is safe to say that our manager Alex McLeish is in more need of a victory than his counterpart Martin Jol come the final whistle at 5pm tomorrow.

I could go into detail on the whole saga involving Eck crossing the divide in the city of Birmingham but I would be going over the same old dribble that has emphatically casted a cloud over the good work that has been done by the players and coaching staff over the last month. Putting that to one side, it is imperative that the team get off to a positive start to ease the tension.

There is no doubt the jury is indeed on Big Eck. He has the majority of support on side but there are of course a number of fans who have already firmly placed his head in the guillotine. The man himself has indicated the importance to get off to a decent start to silence his critics. The jury will be keeping a watchful eye on him and even more so than in West London for his first competitive game in charge.

Nevertheless, his team have had a fairly positive preseason. Two impressive victories over Walsall and Blackburn Rovers were marred by two consecutive defeats to Chelsea and Derby County. New signing Charles N`Zogbia netted on his debut out in Portugal last weekend against Braga to salvage a draw in a rather efficient display by the players.

All in all, preseason has been exactly that - efficient. Nothing has been spectacular but the preparation has been rigorous by Alex and his staff to ensure we are ready for another grueling marathon in the Premier League.
Vital Quotes:
McLeish has confirmed that James Collins, Fabian Delph and Darren Bent are all in contention for the game.

There were doubts over the trio as Collins and Bent had shoulder and back niggles respectively whilst young Fabian sat out last week`s draw in Portugal.

Eck confirmed the news in his pre-match press conference yesterday:

'At this moment there are no injuries really to shout about. We have everybody available and we have nobody on the treatment table.`

'It is great that Fabian Delph is available after missing last week's trip to Braga.James Collins should make it. He did have a lump in his back last week that rendered him unable to move. The doctor has treated him very well and Wales have been excellent in their cooperation in letting him miss the international which was vital to any chance of him playing at the weekend. Darren Bent is fine as well after the shoulder injury. Early treatment in the week has helped him get to a good level.`

The manager also confirmed the players who were away on international duty in midweek came back unscathed:

'Richard Dunne has come back from a routine game against Croatia which was played at a slow tempo and he played the whole game. Shay played 60-odd minutes and Barry Bannan came on for Scotland in the last 20 minutes or so and they all came through with no injuries.`
Fulham Team News:
Martin Jol has confirmed striker Bobby Zamora will be in contention for the game despite suffering from a broken hand.

Amazingly the club's season began last month as most Premier League players were still lying on a beach. They have been involved in Europa League qualifying after being eligible to compete through UEFA`s Fair Play system.
Player to watch: Clint Dempsey
The American will be pivotal in the heartbeat of his side. He has the capability to hurt Villa with a piece of magic and will not be afraid to get stuck when we are in possession. We need to ensure his play is quelled to stop Fulham`s momentum going forward.
Aston Villa Team News:
Thankfully a fully fit squad is intact for our season opener.
Player to watch: Charles N'Zogbia
The Frenchman is set to make his competitive bow in claret and blue. All eyes will be on him to see how he gets on in filling the boots of the departed Ashley Young and Stewart Downing. His ability to weave into pockets of space and startle his adversaries will excite the Villa faithful.
Match Facts & Stats
Last years encounter resulted in a 1-1 draw. Villa took the lead thanks to a stupendous goal by Marc Albrighton who latched onto a David Beckham-esc like ball from Barry Bannan.

Brede Hangeland equalised for the hosts in the fifth minute of injury time.
Match Prediction:
Any result will be a positive step in the right direction but I feel we have the capability to take all three points back to the second-city.

A 2-1 win for the Villa.
Next Fixtures:
Blackburn Rovers will be paying us a visit a week on Saturday for our first home game on the 20th August.

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=7509689#ixzz1Up0He3an

WhiteJC

Fulham increase offer for Aurier?
by DAN on AUGUST 12, 2011

The French press are reporting that Fulham have increased their offer for Lens right back Serge Aurier.

Aurier, 18, has been on the radar of a number of English clubs since he broke into the Lens team, making his debut against Lorient in January 2009. Manchester City, Sunderland and Blackburn Rovers have had him watched regularly but Martin Jol tabled a bid of £3m five days ago. Le Parisien now reports that Fulham are set to return with a bid of around £3.33m, which may include some add-ons, in an attempt to persuade Lens to part with their teenage prodigy.

Aurier, who is contracted to Lens until 2015, made 27 appearances for Lens last season and is one of the most highly-rated youngsters in French football.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/fulham-increase-offer-for-aurier/?

WhiteJC

Dembele wants to deliver for Jol

Moussa Dembele is desperate to repay new manager Martin Jol's faith in him with a stellar second season at Fulham.

The Belgian forward endured an injury-ravaged first season in English football after a bright start to his career at Craven Cottage. He scored just five goals but has been boosted by the arrival of Jol, who first noticed the striker's talents when he was managing Ajax and has impressed upon Dembele the need for him to turn in top performances. For his part, Dembele is encouraged by his new manager's familiarity with his game.

The manager knows me already and knows how to use me. He's given me confidence. The coach has confidence in the whole group and has told me to 'show what I've got'.

I had a few injuries last season and feel I have a lot more to show the fans. I want to score more and I think I can do that this year with a bit of luck.

The 24 year-old is certainly ambitious, aiming to better last season's eighth place finish.

We want to do better than last year, although it might be tougher because we're in the Europa League as well. I think the Premier League is stronger than last season. There've been a few good players that have come to England and every year it seems to gets better

It's always easier if you have a better start, and that's what we're aiming to do.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/dembele-wants-to-deliver-for-jol/?

WhiteJC

Weekend Travel Notice

Supporters travelling to the Cottage on Saturday for Fulham's Barclays Premier League match against Aston Villa (KO 3pm) should be aware of the following closures on the tube this weekend.

District Line:

On Saturday and Sunday, there is no service between Edgware Road and Earl's Court.

Hammersmith & City Line:

On Saturday and Sunday, there is no service between Baker Street and Hammersmith.

Circle Line:

On Saturday and Sunday, there is no service on the entire line.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/WeekendTravelNotice.aspx?#ixzz1Up1IsRdI

WhiteJC

Fulham    v    Aston Villa

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 13 August Kick-off: 1500 BST Coverage: Watch highlights on Match of the Day; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles
TEAM NEWS
Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is available to face Aston Villa despite suffering from a broken hand.

Simon Davies misses out with a knee injury but John Arne Riise, Marcel Gecov and Pajtim Kasami could all make their debuts for the club.

Aston Villa's new manager Alex McLeish will give debuts to summer signings Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia.

Darren Bent and James Collins have overcome respective shoulder and back injuries, but Carlos Cuellar is out.

MATCH PREVIEW
These two clubs begin the season with new managers but I suspect that a summer of change has passed more smoothly at Fulham than Villa.

Martin Jol has returned to the Premier League with Fulham four years after leading Tottenham to the cusp of Champions League qualification. He was first courted by Fulham last summer, of course, before they appointed Mark Hughes, and has inherited a team that finished eighth last season.

I don't think Fulham fans will see anything different to the consistent side, particularly at home, of recent seasons. Jol has brought in John Arne Riise and a few young players but the spine of the team - Schwarzer, Hangeland, Murphy, Zamora - was put in place by Roy Hodgson a few years ago.

It's different for Villa, who have lost three marquee players in Brad Friedel, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing, while owner Randy Lerner has adopted a model of financial prudence after years of big spending.

There has been a lot of instability at the club and their new manager Alex McLeish has to rectify that. His appointment from relegated rivals Birmingham was met with protests by some Villa fans and if the team get off to a poor start, then all sorts of questions will be asked.

A lot will depend on what McLeish can get out of promising young winger Marc Albrighton and the likes of Stephen Warnock and Stephen Ireland, who were both frozen out last year. Ireland has played behind the main striker in pre-season and Villa need him back to his best to help offset the loss of their most creative players.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Fulham have only won three of their 20 Premier League meetings with Aston Villa. All of those victories have come at home.
This is the first ever Premier League meeting between managers Martin Jol and Alex McLeish.
Fulham finished eighth last season - a point and a place above Villa.

Fulham

Fulham have taken 20 points from their last nine home matches (W6, D2, L1).
They have not scored more than one goal in any of their last seven opening-day games.
The west London side conceded the lowest proportion of goals from set pieces in the top flight last season (23.3%).
They only conceded one penalty all season, fewer than any other side.
Damien Duff is one shy of 50 Premier League goals, while Andrew Johnson and Danny Murphy are two short of that milestone.
Former Villa defender Aaron Hughes should make his 400th Premier League appearance.

Aston Villa

Villa have only lost one of their last eight league matches (W4, D3, L1).
They ended last season with their lowest points tally for five years and their worst defensive record since 1986/87, when they finished bottom of the table.
The Villans dropped 26 points from winning positions last season, more than any other Premier League side.
The West Midlands side have won only one of their previous nine Premier League away matches on the opening day - 1-0 at Newcastle in 1999.
The departure of Ashley Young deprives the club of a player who was involved in 37% of Villa's goals last season.
Darren Bent has scored six goals in his last eight Villa appearances.
Gabriel Agbonlahor needs one goal to reach 50 in the Premier League.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14429736.stm?

WhiteJC

Squad stability makes Fulham a force to be reckoned with, says Mousa Dembele

Mousa Dembele would never have the temerity to call himself Fulham's answer to Lionel Messi.

Indeed, the Belgian striker is such a humble man that when he scored his club's Goal Of The Season against Spurs last January, a glorious coup de grace with his powerful left foot concluding a mazy run from the centre spot, the celebrations were muted to say the least.

Yet Dembele, at 24 the same age as Messi, does claim empathy with what he perceives to be the Barcelona star's sheer love and passion for football.

He said: "If Messi was 30 years old, or even 35 years old, he would still be a kid when it comes to the game.

"Of course Messi has money, he has this, he has that. But I don't believe he is doing it for fame or to be in the magazines. I think he just loves football, that's his life. That is what I like about him."

Football permeates Dembele's every pore, too. Talking over a steak lunch in the canteen at Fulham's Surrey training ground, he said: "I've always been in love with the ball, it is my friend. If there was a ball right here where we are eating, after we had finished I'd want to play with it."

It was, perhaps, fortunate for Fulham's canteen staff that a ball was not immediately available, because Dembele went on to recall how he would enjoy kickabouts within the four walls of the family home near the Bercham district of Antwerp.

"A lot was broken," he laughed. "But my mother was never really angry. She knew that if you let a child do what he likes, it is not always a bad thing. But she did buy me a foam ball."

This summer, on the practice pitch, Dembele has concentrated on adding consistent goal-striking to an already dazzling repertoire of footwork, all with the aim of bringing extra firepower to a side he believes can make a mark both domestically and in the Europa League.

Manager Martin Jol has proved he is an astute operator in the transfer market by adding experience to the squad in the shape of former Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise, a £2.4m buy from Roma, and by bringing in the youthful talents of Swiss teenager Pajtim Kasami, a midfielder who has already made 24 appearances for Serie A side Palermo, and Czech Under-21 international Marcel Gecov.

But there has been no wholesale buying.

Nor, apart from Cottage cult hero Zoltan Gera, have there been significant departures. That, claims Dembele, will make Fulham a force to be reckoned with.

He said: "Most of the important players like Clint Dempsey, Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson, Dickson Etuhu and Danny Murphy have stayed.

"That is a good thing. We don't have to adapt. Maybe two or three good players have come to us, but most of us already know each other very well indeed.

"Last year, with most of the same team, we finished eighth but we had a lot of bad luck with injuries.

"So maybe this year we can do even better."

Fulham
Manager:Martin Jol
Last season: 8th
Title odds: 1,000-1 (Paddy Power)
Ins: John Arne Riise (Roma, £2.4m); Pajtim Kasami (Palermo, £4m); Marcel Gecov (Sovan Liberec, undisclosed); Csaba Somogyi (Rakospalotai, free)
Outs: Jonathan Greening (Nottingham Forest, undisclosed); Kagisho Dikgacoi (Crystal Palace, undisclosed); Released: Zoltan Gera (West Brom), Eddie Johnson, Diomansy Kamara, John Pantsil (Leicester

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23977706-squad-stability-makes-fulham-a-force-to-be-reckoned-with-says-mousa-dembele.do?

WhiteJC

Loving The Game

Fulham fans are renowned for their appreciation of a player blessed with superior technical ability. A talent that possesses the skill set to enrapture and enthral the Cottage faithful. One player who has shown glimpses of such rare qualities in recent times is Belgium international striker, Mousa Dembele.

Whilst his inaugural season in SW6 was blighted by injuries, Dembele produced several performances over the course of last season which earmarked him as a special talent. His Goal of the Season effort against Spurs in the FA Cup showcased his exceptional close control, speed, strength and ability to deliver a clinical finish.

Listening to Dembele speak about his passion for football, it is evident that the striker's talent has been honed by an almost obsessive love for the game, which saw him spend every waking moment as a youngster living and breathing football.

"When I was young I played a lot of football inside my parents' house," Mousa explained. "Every minute of the day I was playing inside. My mum bought me a lot of different types of balls, even tennis balls and foam balls. So I learned to play with different kind of balls in a small area. A lot was broken in the house but my mother was not angry with me. She knew how much I liked football.

"When I reached the age of 12 I started playing on the street with my friends. We went to different areas with small basketball courts. We'd play small games of three versus three and it was good for my close control and skills.

"That helped me a lot and I was in love the ball. Every day I was playing football, anywhere I could. At six or seven years old I played mini-football competitions which improved my skills.

"Sometimes at the weekend, when all I wanted to do was play football, I would play all night. A lot of the time I'd wake up and play football straight away, before breakfast and before I went to school. Then at school I'd play football all day, every day.

"Sometimes I'd say to my mother, 'Don't pick me up early, leave me at school so I can play more football'. Then once my mother picked me up I'd go home and play football in the house.

"Even now, if I see a ball, I have to play with it! You can see the technical players on the pitch who love playing with the ball. You can see the difference."

It is no surprise to hear Dembele's favourite player is Barcelona's Lionel Messi, but it is not just the Argentinean's mesmerising skills he admires, but his pure love of the game that shines through in the manner in which he conducts himself, on and off the pitch.

"Everybody loves Messi and it's easy to explain why," said Dembele. "He's still a kid who loves the game. I'm sure when he goes home, if he sees a football, he will play.

"You can have money and this and that, but he just loves the game. Messi is not playing football for the fame or to be in magazines. He just loves football and he's always enjoying the game - I like that about him."

Fulham will kick-off the 2011/12 season against Aston Villa at the Cottage on Saturday afternoon, in what will be Martin Jol's first Barclays Premier League match at the helm. Dembele has clearly enjoying working with the Dutchman in training, revealing that the Manager has paid specific attention to adding more goals to his game this season.

"For me personally, Martin knows me already and he talks to me a lot," said Dembele. "He will say, 'Mousa, you're a good player and I like you a lot, but goals, goals, goals.' If I'm on the pitch he will say to me, 'Mousa, you can shoot from here. Try to do this.'

"He [Jol] always gives me advice and I like that he talks to me a lot to help me improve. I want to score a lot more goals now but I'm not a player like Didier Drogba who will score 35 goals in a season.

"My aim is to score more and then I'll be more important to the team. At the end of last season it [scoring] was at the forefront of my mind and I feel like I'm improving. I'm always thinking about scoring in training now."

Just how high Fulham's stock has risen in recent years is highlighted by the ambitions of those within the Club and the perception of those within the football industry. Dembele is confident Fulham's settled squad can beat last season's eighth place finish this year and secure their status amongst the higher echelons of the Barclays Premier League.

"We finished eighth last season and if we can win a few more I'm confident we can finish higher. We [the players] know each other very well and I think we can have a very good season this year. We had a lot of bad luck with injuries last season and so many draws.

"When other footballers talk about our Club they say we are a good team that plays good football. It's important to make sure the defence remains strong but we've got a smart manager.

"I think we're capable of top seven [this season]. We don't have to adapt because the squad is the same and we can make a good start and do better than last season."

Fulham fans will be hoping Dembele remains injury free this season for his undoubted talents to benefit the team on a more regular basis. Despite being on the receiving end of some heavy challenges last season, none more so than against Stoke at the Britannia Stadium, Dembele's love of the English game has only grown stronger after living the Premier League experience with Fulham.

"I like the Premier League very much and I'm very happy here," Dembele explained. "You never have a game where you say, 'I don't want to play against them'. You don't have that in England.

"Every team is a big team with great supporters, nice pitches and fantastic stadiums. Sometimes when you go to a lot of countries and you see the pitch, you can't do anything. There's a love for football in England.

"Of course I like to entertain, that's my style of football. It's not that I think, 'today I'm going to entertain everyone'. It's just the way I play football. It's automatic that I entertain and I'm going in the same direction as the supporters because they, and I, love football."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/MousaDembeleInterview.aspx?#ixzz1Up2XhiCN

WhiteJC

Programme Preview

With Barclays Premier League football returning to Craven Cottage on Saturday for the start of the 2011/12 campaign, be sure to begin your collection of another season of the Club's critically acclaimed official matchday programme.

Many have predicted another season of positivity for the Whites, as Martin Jol begins his Fulham domestic account with the hosting of Aston Villa. With six UEFA Europa League games already under the team's belts, a strong start is expected.

And as ever, fans heading to the game can usher in the new campaign by getting their hands on the Club's must-read matchday souvenir.

As ever, the publication features comprehensive match coverage including insight from both Manager Martin Jol and Captain Danny Murphy, as well as an in-depth interview with midfielder Steve Sidwell.

Former Club goalkeeping legend Tony Macedo speaks of his excitement about his return to the Cottage in our exclusive Guest Column, while Under-18 Manager Kit Symons looks towards another successful year for the Academy.

We also introduce new boy Marcel Gecov, as well as bright prospect Cauley Woodrow, there's match action and analysis from last week's defeat of RNK Split, Development Squad insight, plus more news from in and around the Training Ground.

One lucky reader will also get the chance to win the new Fulham home shirt, signed by the First Team squad in our Lucky Programme Number Competition.

The official Fulham FC programme really is the essential matchday accessory and is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/VillaProgrammePreview.aspx?#ixzz1Up2rlJon

WhiteJC

Who Are Ya? Samuel Inkoom (Chelsea, Aston Villa, Fulham target)

Promising Ghanaian starlet Samuel Inkoom would relish a move to the Premier League, according to reports surfacing in the African media this week.

A trio of English clubs have been linked to the defender, who can also play on the wing, with Chelsea, Aston Villa and Fulham keeping tabs on him.

The 22-year-old currently plays in the Ukrainian Premier League for mid-table side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, and talk of a transfer to Western Europe has increased ever since the right back's appearances at international level for the Black Stars.

Inkoom made his senior debut for Ghana in 2008 against Tunisia but he continued his involvement with the Under-20 side in 2009, the Black Satellites. In that year he helped his team win both the African Youth Championship and the FIFA U-20 World Cup, where he scored a crucial penalty in the shoot-out against Brazil in the final.

He has since gone on to make 22 appearances for the Black Stars to date and scored his first international  goal in a friendly against Togo in February earlier this year.

Speaking to Sky Sports this week, Inkoom responded positively to the English clubs' interest with Chelsea being his preferred destination should a move materialise.

"To be honest the day I heard Chelsea were interested in me, I was very happy. Who would not like to be linked with such a big club, with world class players?

"It is a dream club for any player, specifically for young African players like me. Hopefully it will happen."

The idea of linking up with his international team-mate and captain Michael Essien at the West London outfit must also be alluring to the young Ghanaian, as would the presence of several other African stars including Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou and Jon Mikel Obi.

Villa and Fulham also have also been attracted by the relatively low valuation of the player by Dnipro-reportedly around £5m- with right back being a position both clubs are looking to strengthen. Wherever the youngster decides to play his football, his club will have a promising talent with the potential to be one of Africa's next big stars.

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/08/who-are-ya-samuel-inkoom-chelsea-aston-villa-fulham-target?

WhiteJC

Up next: Aston Villa (h)

So it's nearly here again. Another summer disrupted by a managerial vacuum, another new man comes in and a sense of optimism sweeps through the Fulham faithful. Martin Jol has nodded towards modernity since he replaced Mark Hughes – speaking several times about the importance of regenerating an ageing squad – and he's acted swiftly in the transfer market. Jol has sanctioned the sale of six players, including a few (and I'm thinking of the likes of John Pantsil, Zoltan Gera and Jonathan Greening) who certainly might have contributed to our European campaign), and brought in some exciting young talent to refresh the squad.

Pajtim Kasami has had barely fifteen minutes on the pitch since he signed from Palermo and Marcel Gecov has arrived off the back of an excellent European Under-21 Championship with the Czech Republic, but the strength of the Fulham side suggests that the pair will have to wait for a sustained run in the side. Perhaps the best indication of Fulham's relative strength is that, barring the inclusion of John Arne Riise at left back, Jol will mostly likely select the eleven that featured for most of both Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes' time at Craven Cottage. Indeed, Moussa Dembele has suggested in the Standard today that stability is one of the major reasons for Fulham's relative success over the past few seasons.

The gameplan is, by now, familiar. Built around a miserly defence, led by Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes, Fulham play an attractive, determined brand of football. Jol has hinted several times throughout the pre-season that he wants Fulham to play with a bit more width and pace, picking up on the idea that Fulham were frustratingly compact at times under Hodgson. He will likely start with Clint Dempsey and Damien Duff on the flanks tomorrow, with the pair perhaps given a little more license to roam. We haven't seen too much of Dempsey in a Fulham shirt so far – owing to his international commitments with the United States over the summer – but Duff has returned from the shortest of breaks to play with real intensity and flair. His form picked up during last season and on his day the Republic of Ireland winger remains irrepressible.

Jol may have one or two selection headaches tomorrow. Brede Hangeland's absence from the Norwegian side that dismantled the Czech Republic in midweek had a few people worried he might miss the big kick-off, especially when he was spotted walking into Motspur Park with a strapping on his knee. Word is that the Norwegian should be fit and Jol should resist the temptation to split the successful partnership with Hughes in favour of bringing in Philippe Senderos, so impressive towards the tail end of the last campaign, at centre back. Hughes has played at right back in some of the Europa League fixtures, but Chris Baird surely deserves a chance to stake his claim there.

In midfield, you'd expect Dickson Etuhu to partner the experienced Danny Murphy, if only because he's been the regular selection over the past couple of months and offers a little more bite in the tackle. Steve Sidwell, who is probably the more complete footballer, will be desperate to face his former side but may have to bide his time. With the likes of Kasami and Gecov also waiting in the wings, Jol has plenty of midfield options to choose from. The manager's afforded Moussa Dembele plenty of praise since taking the job, but he has set the Belgian the target of scoring more goals. His quest for a greater goal return may start from the bench tomorrow, however, not only because of his recent return from injury, but also due to the success of Bobby Zamora's partnership with the hungry Andy Johnson.

And what of Aston Villa? Alex McLeish's appointment was controversial and he has something of a rebuilding job to do at Villa Park having lost the likes of Brad Friedel, Stewart Downing and Ashley Young over the course of the summer. Villa still have the nucleus of a very good side, however, and the addition of the lively Charles N'Zogbia is undoubtedly a smart one. Darren Bent will lead the line to even greater effect this summer, having had a full pre-season to build on his fine goalscoring return since January, while the quality of Marc Albrighton and Stiliyan Petrov should ensure a stern test for the Whites midfield.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, J.A. Riise; Etuhu, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey; Zamora, Johnson. Subs: Somogyi, Senderos, Briggs, Sidwell, Gecov, Kasami, Dembele.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/up-next-aston-villa-h-3/?

WhiteJC

Mystic v Lawro - This Time It's Personal! v Fulham

Ha, we`re back!

Yes, Mystic Mug v Lawro... this time it is personal...!

Mystic Mug beat Lawro last season by a long way on right scores... 6-2 now you come to ask... SIX TWO LAWRO, IN YOUR FACE!!! Oh and they were equal on right results with 15 correct guesses each.

Lawro says Fulham 2-1 at Craven Cottage explaining on the bbc site:

This might be a tough old season for Aston Villa. They have taken away Darren Bent's supply line with the sale of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing and Charles N'Zogbia is more of a goalscorer than a creater of chances. New manager Alex McLeish still has Marc Albrighton, who is a great prospect, and in goal Shay Given is a good signing but I still cannot see them finishing higher than halfway up the table. Fulham also have a new man in charge in Martin Jol but, crucially for them, up front they still look very decent. You would expect Jol to play quite attacking football, but I'm not sure what to expect from McLeish. He was known for having more of a defensive outlook at Birmingham but we will have to wait to find out what his approach will be with Villa."

Would you believe it, Samuel L Jackson has also predicted and he says 2-0 to the Villa. I`ve always loved Mr Cool.. now I love him more... don`t worry Samuel, in a totally manly way!

Mystic Mug says 2-1 to Villa.

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7509699#ixzz1Up3jkT6o

WhiteJC

Game Preview - Aston Villa (h)

Theoretically at the very least, this game preview should be effortless to produce, given our pre-season of competitive football that has ran since late June. Us Fulham bloggers should have our season fitness at an almost peak and match practice certainly shouldn't be a field we are left lacking in.

Hopefully, then, this piece is a masterclass in all things game-preview and there will be no stone left unturned. Let's hope the boys on the pitch can reciprocate that, too.

Any wishes of an early season flourish in the Premier League may prove unfounded, however, given, not necessarily the class of our opponent, but the sheer nature of Aston Villa to ruin any Fulham party. Despite finishing one place behind us and undergoing major managerial upheavals over the past year, the Midlands side never fall short of dampening our spirits, drawing twice against us last season and defeating us twice the season before.

Their latest managerial escapade features Alex McLeish and a whole host of disgruntled fans - and also involves a figure whom we quite welcomingly saw the back of in earlier in the close season. With Gerard Houllier ousted - reportedly due to his unfortunately ill health - the search for a new Villa gaffer set sail. This prompted an untimely ego-exaggeration for Fulham's very own Mark Hughes who, it's rumoured, quit the Cottagers in favour of an expected role at Villa Park. No such events occurred, though, and Mark Hughes is left with egg on his face while Aston Villa are left with former Birmingham manager Alex McLeish - 'left with' perhaps being a derogatory way of inducting a well-educated manager in McLeish.

Villa's pre-season has been suitably mixed, the most notable result being a decent win over Blackburn Rovers in the Barclays Asia Trophy - McLeish's newly inherited side went on to lose in the final to Chelsea. Fulham's, in thankful contrast, has been quite consistent in that it has been bleak but successful. Wins over RNK Split, Crusaders and NSI Runavik mean we now find ourselves in the Play-off round for the Europa League.

Aston Villa's first competitive match under the tutorship of their new manager will provide a welcome return to fitness for Darren Bent and James Collins who both missed their respective international matches through injury - not that the England game went ahead. News signings Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia are set to make their debuts.

Fulham are likely to welcome back Moussa Dembele to the starting line-up while Bobby Zamora may yet again play through the pain with a broken hand.

Score Prediction: Fulham 2 - 1 Aston Villa

Predicted Line-Up: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird; Dempsey, Murphy, Sidwell, Duff; Dembele, Zamora

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/8/12/2358998/game-preview-aston-villa-h?

WhiteJC

Jol sets Dembele goals target

Martin Jol has told Moussa Dembele that he should be scoring more goals for Fulham.

The Belgian striker only managed three league goals during an injury-ravaged first season at Craven Cottage and Dembele has been encouraged by the new Fulham manager to up his goalscoring return this term.

For me personally, Martin knows me already and he talks to me a lot. He will say, 'Mousa, you're a good player and I like you a lot, but goals, goals, goals.' If I'm on the pitch he will say to me, 'Mousa, you can shoot from here. Try to do this.'

He [Jol] always gives me advice and I like that he talks to me a lot to help me improve. I want to score a lot more goals now but I'm not a player like Didier Drogba who will score 35 goals in a season.

My aim is to score more and then I'll be more important to the team. At the end of last season it [scoring] was at the forefront of my mind and I feel like I'm improving. I'm always thinking about scoring in training now.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/jol-sets-dembele-goals-target/?

WhiteJC

View from the river: Has anyone seen former Fulham boss Mark Hughes?

London24 blogger Ben Walker wonders what has happened to the Cottagers former manager

Welcome to the new Premier League season...but has anyone seen Mark Hughes?

Whilst our season started several weeks ago, for the rest of the country football is finally back.

The football league kicked off last Saturday with an emotional first league game for AFC Wimbledon and with a win for Brighton, 14 years after leaving their last permanent home. Moving on, this weekend sees the return of the Premier League.

Can Man City challenge for the title? Will Chelsea challenge under Villa Baos? How will Liverpool do? Can QPR survive? For Fulham, one question is being quickly forgotten. Namely, where is Mark Hughes?

Turn our minds back to June:

"As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences,"

Mark Hughes 2nd June 2011

It's hard to shake the thought that Hughes must have thought he had the Villa job when he left. Otherwise, why walk out after a promising first season where he had started to rebuild his reputation after his Man City experience.

"Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations, [he] wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles and win championships."

Kia Joorabchian

No disrespect to Villa, but this isn't describing them. When you read this comment it is hard to think where he could possibly go.

There is only a handful of clubs in England which could realistically challenge for the title and I couldn't imagine Hughes getting a job at any of them anytime soon.

More likely would be a move abroad, although nobody seems to busting down Mr Jooarabchian's door to sign him.

There are plenty of decent managers struggling to find a job at the top level and the longer you are out the harder it is to get back in. Look at Alan Curbishly as an example.

To walk out of a good job at a team that had just finished in the top half, with the promise of European football, for nothing seems like an extremely risky career decision.

Despite being pleased by Jol's appointment I still think it's a shame that Hughes left. He had just started to turn our away form around and I was looking forward to seeing what he could do with the team moving forward.

Instead the players have had to get used to yet another new manager, something they have done very professionally for the last two summers now. As for Hughes, who knows when, or if, he will turn up again.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/view_from_the_river_has_anyone_seen_former_fulham_boss_mark_hughes_1_992287?

WhiteJC

Matchday Info

An exciting new Barclays Premier League season under the guidance of Martin Jol begins tomorrow with the highly anticipated visit of Aston Villa to the Cottage (KO 3pm).

ARRIVE EARLY AND YOUR TICKETS

2011/12 Members are reminded that the first ticket you ordered for this weekend's game will be loaded on to your card and any additional tickets will be issued as paper tickets.

Please note the three cards (pictured on the right) represent the two types of Season Ticket Cards as well as the Membership Card for the 2011/12 season.  Any other card designs are no longer valid.

Supporters are urged to arrive at least an hour early in order to ensure they enter the ground before kick-off.

YOUR CATERING VOUCHER

To get your matchday off to the best possible start we'd like to offer you a chance to buy a beer or wine and get a pie FREE, alternatively you can buy a soft drink and a pie for only £3.  Download your voucher.

OUR OPPOSITION

Last season's final position of ninth marked a fourth consecutive top half finish, but was regarded as a disappointment in contrast to the three previous seasons when sixth was achieved.

The 2010/11 campaign was disrupted early on when long-serving manager Martin O'Neill resigned just days before the opening game. Gerard Houllier was eventually appointed as his full-time replacement, but over the summer the Frenchman decided he was unable to continue and the club controversially appointed Alex McLeish who had earlier resigned as Birmingham City boss.

Villa have been amongst the most active clubs in the summer transfer market, albeit with more notable departures than arrivals. Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given was signed from Manchester City to replace Brad Friedel who joined Tottenham, and Villa also paid a reported £9.5million for wide player Charles N 'Zogbia from Wigan.

Two big name sales from the Birmingham club were England internationals Ashley Young and Stewart Downing who joined Manchester United and Liverpool respectively. Meanwhile, Nigel Reo-Coker (Bolton) and Norwegian striker John Carew also made their exits.

Villa started their pre season with victory at Walsall before travelling to the Far East to participate in the bi-annual Barclays Asia Trophy where they reached the final before losing 2-0 to Chelsea. Villa's last major trophy was the 1996 League Cup, although they have subsequently reached both the FA and League Cup Final, the latter in 2010 when they lost to Manchester United.

YOUR MATCHDAY PROGRAMME

For all the opinion and insight surrounding the big kick-off, be sure to pick up the critically acclaimed official matchday programme.

As well as being the ultimate traditional matchday souvenir, the official Fulham publication tells you everything you need to know about the big game, including detailed analysis of our opponents, interviews with your favourite Fulham stars, including goalkeeping legend Tony Macedo, plus in-depth news and views from behind-the-scenes at the Club.

Buying a programme will also automatically enter you into the Lucky Programme Number prize draw to win the new Fulham home shirt signed by the First Team squad!

The Riverside Bar

Looking for a place to watch the late Barclays Premier League match taking place between Newcastle and Arsenal?  Well look no further than the new Riverside Bar between the Hammersmith and Riverside stands and will be staying open until 7pm. The newly refurbished outdoor bar will broadcasting Newcastle v Arsenal live and will be serving throughout.

RETAIL SPECIALS

Make any instore retail purchase prior to the match on Saturday and receive a FREE matchday collectible but only while stocks last.

What's more, the first of a series of collectible programme t-shirts are on sale now but you'll need to get one early as quantities are limited and once they're gone, they're gone! 

This first t-shirt is the front of  the Fulham v Benfica programme from 29th February 1972 which also marked the official opening of the Riverside Stand. Buy yours today.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/VillaMatchdayInfo.aspx?#ixzz1UpimAVi9

WhiteJC

FULHAM v Aston Villa: Striker Zamora to play through the pain

Bobby Zamora will lead the Fulham attack against Aston Villa despite having a broken hand.

The England striker suffered the injury playing at NK Split in the Europa League two weeks ago, but played the return leg while wearing a protective cast and will do the same against Villa.

He's a bit handy: Bobby Zamora (left) is set to face Aston Villa

John Arne Riise is likely to make his Premier League debut for the Cottagers but his brother Bjorn Helge is out with a minor hamstring problem and Simon Davies (knee) is also unavailable.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Somogyi, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Salcido, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora, Dembele.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2025315/FULHAM-v-Aston-Villa-Bobby-Zamora-play-pain.html#ixzz1Upj2Ef00

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Aston Villa (Sat)

A broken hand will not prevent Bobby Zamora from leading the Fulham attack in Saturday's Premier League opener against Aston Villa.

The former West Ham attacker suffered the knock in the first leg of the Cottagers' successful Europa League qualifying tie against RNK Split, however he played the return game in a protective cast and will continue to do so at Craven Cottage.

Former Liverpool man John Arne Riise should start on the left as he makes his return to the Premier League, but brother, midfielder Bjorn Helge, has a minor hamstring problem and will miss the curtain-raiser.

Fellow midfield man Simon Davies (knee) is also unavailable for Martin Jol's first game back as a Premier League manager, though he has gotten through six European games already.

His rivals also have a new manager in the form of Alex McLeish. Given that the Scot has joined Villa from city rivals Birmingham, he will need a good start and will hand debuts to his two key summer additions, Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia.

Given will start in goal after basically having a year off with Manchester City. Ex-Wigan man N'Zogbia, meanwhile, will try and fill part of the void left by the moves of wingers Ashley Young and Stewart Downing to Manchester United and Liverpool respectively.

Striker Darren Bent and central defender James Collins are over their respective shoulder and back injuries and are expected to start, with defender, and Rangers target, Carlos Cuellar (knee) the only player not available to the new manager.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Somogyi, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Salcido, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora, Dembele.

Aston Villa (from): Given, Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, N'Zogbia, Makoun, Petrov, Heskey, Bent, Agbonlahor, Marshall, Clark, Albrighton, Ireland, Bannan, Delph, Beye, Delfouneso, Guzan, Hogg, Gardner, Herd, Lichaj.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/08/12/Preview-Fulham-v-Aston-Villa-Sat/gnid-104297/?