watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Steed A Roy Type Of Player?

Started by White Noise, March 03, 2010, 08:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/5038264.Steed_appears_surplus_to_requirements/

Steed appears surplus to requirements

10:51am Wednesday 3rd March 2010

Print Email Share Comments(0)  By Andy Richardson »

SUNDERLAND manager Steve Bruce is ready to offload Steed Malbranque at the end of the season after running out of patience with the under-performing midfielder.

Bruce is known to have become concerned with Malbranque's recent performances and, tellingly, failed to include him in the squad that drew at home to Fulham last Sunday – a result that extended the Wearsiders winless run to 14 league games.

With Jordan Henderson and David Meyler sidelined Sunderland were short of midfield cover for the visit of the Cottagers but the manager preferred to name four defenders among his substitutes rather than include Malbranque in his squad.

After the game Bruce revealed that Malbranque was not carrying an injury but his omission was a selection decision.

The Belgium-born player is undoubtedly a talented performer but his repeated failure to complete 90 minutes has led Bruce to question his mental and physical toughness.

He has been substituted in each of his last 12 Premier League appearances culminating in his withdrawal midway through last month's 1-1 draw at Portsmouth. At the time Bruce dismissed questions about Malbranque's fitness claiming the player had been suffering from a stitch.

The door has not been closed on Malbranque making a return to the Black Cats and help their bid to steer clear of the bottom three but his days at the Stadium of Light appear to be numbered. The 30- year-old has over two years left to run on his current deal but unless there is a major turnaround in his form he appears destined to be among the players jettisoned by Bruce at the end of the season.

Fernhurst

I like to take an interest in former Fulham players ( Kevin Betsy is now with his 11th Club - Wycombe Wanderers - we were his 2nd club.) and as an avid Steed admirer from his days with the club I am saddened to see how backward he has become ensconced in the frozen north. Recently he has been grovelling around the bottom of the "form" pit like an overweight sideshow. He physically finds it impossible to get around the wide open spaces of The Stadium (?) of Light (what a pretentious name for that lego kit on an Industrial estate!).

There were times in the not too distant past I would have had him back in a heart beat but this season he has been a bit embarrassing  for old Brucie.

Lose a stone and put him back on our wee sod in the middle of London and you may see a different Steed (he was always class IMO) - but currently couldn't see Sir Roy taking a chance.

ron

He's 30. We already have a senior squad.
Best to allow him to remain at the Palladium of S***e

Rupert

Yup, much as I admired Steeed when he was with us, the old saying, "Never go back" holds true (apart from Ivor, of course). He thought he could do better than us, it has cost him. A Steeed at Fulham for most of his career would have become a legend in waiting, a Steeed up north is a sad Steeed indeeed.

All the same, I could never bring myself to boo him. Too many good memories.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FatFreddysCat

I dont think even a young Steed would be Roy's cup of tea, a bit of a free spirit like Bullard and wouldn't fit into our rigid set up.

epsomraver

He is a moody player who Roy would have no truck with, back to Fulham? a non starter.