News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Early Season Problems (merged with similar threads)

Started by Ordar, August 13, 2011, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

So after a summer of hope and expectation Fulham managed to produce a really poor performance against, lets face it, not a good Villa side.

The same problems that were glaringly obvious in the European games are still (unsurprisingly) there:

- Etuhu should not be in the side. End of story. He offers absolutely nothing to the team, gives the ball away constantly.

- Murphy needs to start actually performing. The CM today was terrible. Too slow.

- Hughes is not fast enough to play RB, and Senderos isnt as good as Hughes at CB.

- Zamora has started the season poorly. I'm one of his biggest fans, but he's been poor in Europe and was poor again today.

We played far too many loose passes. Distribution from pretty much everyone was dreadful, mainly Brede and Dickson though. We looked to lack urgency and ideas.

If Etuhu plays in the week......

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: Ordar on August 13, 2011, 04:59:39 PM
So after a summer of hope and expectation Fulham managed to produce a really poor performance against, lets face it, not a good Villa side.

The same problems that were glaringly obvious in the European games are still (unsurprisingly) there:

- Etuhu should not be in the side. End of story. He offers absolutely nothing to the team, gives the ball away constantly.

- Murphy needs to start actually performing. The CM today was terrible. Too slow.

- Hughes is not fast enough to play RB, and Senderos isnt as good as Hughes at CB.

- Zamora has started the season poorly. I'm one of his biggest fans, but he's been poor in Europe and was poor again today.

We played far too many loose passes. Distribution from pretty much everyone was dreadful, mainly Brede and Dickson though. We looked to lack urgency and ideas.

If Etuhu plays in the week......
That just about sums up today's performance, the sooner we get a right back and put Hughes back in the middle the better. Or in the meantime put Baird at right back.

MJG

Walking back from game and you know what I cant argue with single word of that. Spot bloody on.

Lighthouse

So we need a right back and a forward target player. Hey just as we predicted before a ball was kicked. Etuhu not great? Just as predicted before a ball is kicked. Poor we are still in this position at the start of the season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 13, 2011, 05:16:53 PM
So we need a right back and a forward target player. Hey just as we predicted before a ball was kicked. Etuhu not great? Just as predicted before a ball is kicked. Poor we are still in this position at the start of the season.

We fix the midfield we go from poor to exceptional.
The Dude abides.

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 13, 2011, 05:16:53 PM
Yes and that is what most Fulham supporters have been saying all pre season, so obviously it's been proved right. Let's hope Jol sorts that out with the 2 weeks left in the transfer window.

finnster01

Somebody please remind me how many goals we let in?

We may have problems at the RB, but we can't score in a brothel again.

Lets fix the real problems.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Ordar

I appreciate that we kept a clean sheet. That was mainly because Villa were poor. I would be seriously depressed if we had Emile Heskey up front!

The main problem is the centre midfield. Both Etuhu and Murphy need replacing. After todays performance, I fail to see how any two from Sidwell/Gecov/Kasami could perform any worse in those positions. In fact you can add Baird to that equation. Maybe even stick Dempsey inside and actually play more balanced with Dembele out wide.

Barely any creativity currently. In fact Riise looked our player most likely to create anything

zzamora

Some simple swaps will solve the problem.

1) Sidwell for etuhu.

2)Baird for senderos.

3)Dembele for AJ.

Simple.

BarryP

Quote from: finnster01 on August 13, 2011, 05:27:56 PM
Somebody please remind me how many goals we let in?

We may have problems at the RB, but we can't score in a brothel again.

Lets fix the real problems.

Spot on!  :clap_hands:
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

BarryP

Quote from: zzamora on August 13, 2011, 05:36:59 PM
Some simple swaps will solve the problem.

1) Sidwell for etuhu.

2)Baird for senderos.

3)Dembele for AJ.

Simple.

I had absolutely no problems with AJ today.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

jarv

Could be worse, we could be called QPR....4-0 I think. 064.gif

Today was one of those "I want my money back" games. At least we didn't lose which would have been truly Fulhamish.

Willard

When we played football on the ground and in our possession we were the better team. But we wasted so much.

Unimpressed with Senderos today.

Couldn't see the point of Dembele subbing for Bobby and then sitting in the middle - our threat reduced. Oh well...

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: jarv on August 13, 2011, 05:47:53 PM
Could be worse, we could be called QPR....4-0 I think. 064.gif

Today was one of those "I want my money back" games. At least we didn't lose which would have been truly Fulhamish.
That was the problem villa were worse than us, we were at home and we failed to take advantage, we started the second half and it was surely a matter of time before we scored. Then 20 minutes later we are playing the same as we were in the first half. It's been said before but today Murphy and Etuhu were not at the races, Brede couldn't pass to a Fulham player. As far as I'm concerned that was definitely two points dropped, but equally it could have so easily been all 3.

Peabody

Yes, we were not good enough today but please, before we go into woe is me mode, lets remember last season, most of you had Hughes sacked before Christmas.

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: Peabody on August 13, 2011, 06:19:42 PM
Yes, we were not good enough today but please, before we go into woe is me mode, lets remember last season, most of you had Hughes sacked before Christmas.
Well I don't think everyone is going into a total season doom and gloom, but how else could you comment on today's display. It was Crap end of.

YankeeJim

I have to disagree with most here. I think the back line will be a strength. Aaron will get better and the marriage between the two big boys in the middle will also get better.

As to the two center mids, Sidders for Dixon and light a fire under Danny.

What concerned me was the substitution of Bobby. We seemed to come apart at that point. I fail to see what AJ brought today. He should have been pulled instead of Bobby and Dempsey moved up top and Sipwell's brother at left mid.

Really, rather boring match.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Lighthouse

Interesting how people see the same game. That is the joy of MBs. Although this is our SEVENTH game under JOL. The problems that appeared in his first game are still apparent today.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 13, 2011, 06:40:26 PM
I have to disagree with most here. I think the back line will be a strength. Aaron will get better and the marriage between the two big boys in the middle will also get better.

What concerned me was the substitution of Bobby. We seemed to come apart at that point. I fail to see what AJ brought today. He should have been pulled instead of Bobby and Dempsey moved up top and Sipwell's brother at left mid.

why should Aaron have to get better when him and Hangeland were the best defensive team outside the top 4. Aaron is not a right back and doesn't deserve to be dumped there to let Senderos  get a game. I have no problems with Senderos apart from I definitely think Hughes would have done better there today. (next to Hangeland) might have even made Hangeland pass the ball better.

MJG

Quote from: FFCcravencottage on August 13, 2011, 06:50:28 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on August 13, 2011, 06:40:26 PM

why should Aaron have to get better when him and Hangeland were the best defensive team outside the top 4. Aaron is not a right back and doesn't deserve to be dumped there to let Senderos  get a game. I have no problems with Senderos apart from I definitely think Hughes would have done better there today. (next to Hangeland) might have even made Hangeland pass the ball better.
beat me to it I was going to write almost the same about Hughes and the back line. At the moment we are weaker as a back four with Baird not at RB. Yes its good to have three CB's who could start but its not about the best players its the best team.