News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Early Season Problems (merged with similar threads)

Started by Ordar, August 13, 2011, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crede15

Miserable performance, miserable game. We looked like Stoke, could barely string a few passes together and just spent most of the day hoofing longballs.

I don't understand why you would break up the Hangeland-Hughes partnership. Senderos has a bizarre lack of aerial ability for a guy that big. He was losing flick ons consistently to Darren Bent and rarely marked anyone on corners.

AlFayedsChequebook

Interestingly I dont think we have conceded with the Hughes-Senderos-Hangeland partnership

I think Senderos is a cracking player - a crafty centre half who is comfortable on the ball.

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 13, 2011, 07:15:56 PM
Interestingly I dont think we have conceded with the Hughes-Senderos-Hangeland partnership

I think Senderos is a cracking player - a crafty centre half who is comfortable on the ball.
I don't think anyone really has a problem with Senderos, I just don't understand or see the value in breaking up H&H to accommodate him into the side.

YankeeJim

The back line will improve as they get to know their rolls. That is what I mean by Aaron getting better. I believe that being the pro that he is, Aaron will solidify the right side and Senderos will be solid in the middle. We will be a better defensive back line. The problem today was a gapping hole in the middle of the pitch. Dixon was poor and Danny was abysmal. Z & AJ had little service from the middle of the field. AND, why did Bobby come off rather then AJ. As I said before, we came apart for the first ten minutes after. We were looking the stronger side and it might have been better to pull Danny and bring on Sidders rather then change the front line.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

TonyGilroy

First half Murphy and Etuhu were outplayed in central midfield because we played a rigid 4-4-2 and they were outnumbered.

Second half Duff and Dempsey moved inside, we were more fluid and we pushed forward.

All the goal threat came from us with Villa offering very little.

I like the fact that Jol changed things at half time. I think we'll see gradual improvement over the next few weeks.

The Bronsons

We had no threat when Bobby came off. Hughes at RB is still just a project for me - he does okayish but Baird would do better with Hughes inside him as before. Not convinced by Senderos: maybe Jol sees something in training that we aren't seeing. AJ did nothing wrong. Dembele didn't look fit and apart from a couple of aimless runs didn't really do anything.

As for Etuhu: I like the guy but I don't see how he can start when Sidwell can do everything he does better, and get forward as well.

TonyGilroy

Zamora can only have been taken off because of injury or perhaps medical advice as to how long he should play with his broken wrist.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 13, 2011, 07:44:25 PM

Zamora can only have been taken off because of injury or perhaps medical advice as to how long he should play with his broken wrist.

Or maybe with Mo in the crowd he wanted to show that we definitely need a new striker!

mullers

We've been here before: great approach play from Bobby and AJ, no-one in the box and the keeper picks up the loose ball. Surely Jol knows this from a few seasons ago? He said in the post match interview that we didn't use the left flank enough, yet Briggs and Riise made it their own in Europe. Hangeland/Hughes /Baird, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bobby up front with Dempsey playing off of him, AJ taking the Nevland role and coming on with 20 mins to go...against this Villa side...2-0 home win at least, I think. MARTIN JOL'S BLACK AND WHITE ARMY! COYW!

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 13, 2011, 07:24:04 PM
The back line will improve as they get to know their rolls. That is what I mean by Aaron getting better. I believe that being the pro that he is, Aaron will solidify the right side and Senderos will be solid in the middle. We will be a better defensive back line. The problem today was a gapping hole in the middle of the pitch. Dixon was poor and Danny was abysmal. Z & AJ had little service from the middle of the field. AND, why did Bobby come off rather then AJ. As I said before, we came apart for the first ten minutes after. We were looking the stronger side and it might have been better to pull Danny and bring on Sidders rather then change the front line.
But why would we need to do that when for the last couple of seasons Hughes and Hangeland have been the best pairing outside the top 4, Baird Hughes Hangeland Riise Ok I'm not saying don't buy a Right back, but Baird had done adequate in that position when used there. Why is there any need to break up Hughes and Hangeland is my question.

Logicalman

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 13, 2011, 06:46:15 PM
Interesting how people see the same game. That is the joy of MBs. Although this is our SEVENTH game under JOL. The problems that appeared in his first game are still apparent today.

I agree, though I tend to think that Jol used the first 6 to give some players a rest and others a try out.

I wasn't too impressed today, and it's not just down to tutu (with the ever-decreasing Smurph as partner)  but there seemed to be little innovation up front, 5-yard passing in midfield to nobody, and Hughes who was so out of position I felt sorry for him. It seems with senderos appearing, that we now have three in the center of defence, and no RB.

Riise did a good job coming forward, and Duff and Demps played their usual games.

The AJ/BZ partnership has not quite warmed up to where it once was (a number of times lay-offs completely missed their mark) and so the overall level of the Fulham gameplay was less than we should have expected both at home, and against a Villa side that, apart from the few forays forward, would have struggled against the Crusaders.

bigalffc

Opponents have spotted that everything comes through Murphy, smother him out of the game and we are lost! Today Heskey dropped back and stuck to Murphy like glue- we need to have sidders on for Etuhu for those forward runs and take the pressure off Danny. I agree with Hughes being the best partner for Hangers and hope a right back is coming in soon.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

jarv

OK, not a great game but the difference these days is that we are a solid mid table team. 3 years ago, 2 points dropped at home to a poor team would be gloom and doom. Fulham have beetter players available than several other teams in the division. No worries.

Also, look at the other results. Liverpool 2 points dropped already. newcastle Arsenal, was like a replay of the Fulham game, mistakes all over the field, misplaced passes. I think the Fulham game was actually a better match.

On reflection, Fulham were better than Villa and should have won.

dishEJtheRock!

i have to say there this was not the best performance and i think we should have gotten more than just a point but it seems everyone is way to focused on the negatives.

Despite the occasional misplayed passes, we did have more possession and had 9 shots on target, and villa only had 1. Most of our shots were garbage but a few years ago if you told me we would have 9 times as many shots on target than villa id say your out of your mind. Some better finishing and maybe some luck this game could have been 2 or 3 to 0 easily and no one would be complaining.

that being said, Sidwell needs to play and Hughes and Hangeland need to be in the center.

I like the idea of a 3-5-2, weird but bear with me ill explain

------------Hughes-------Hangeland---------Senderos-------------

Duff ------------Murphy-------------------Sidwell------------------Riise

--------------------------Dembele------------------------

----------------Zamora--------------------Dempsey----------

Where dempsey is not a true striker, but given more freedom to drop back or make runs forward

When we have the ball riise and duff push up the wings to provide width
Without the ball they drop way back to  make a temporary 5 man back line (a temporary 5-3-2)
This means hughes would have the speed of duff to help with pacy wingers and he could remain more central, and would allow riise more freedom up the left side where dempsey usually drifts towards the middle

the only problems i can think of is being exposed on the wings to a counter attack but with hughes, hangeland, and senderos all back i think they could handle it

Jimpav

I've not seen any of the match today but from what I've read on here it sounds as if we were awful and the usual criticisms about Aj, Murphy and Etuhu are being levelled.

Contrast this to the BBC report and it sounds like we would have won if it wasn't for Given.

I would be a lot more upset/worried if I was a Liverpool/arsenal/Rangers fan. The only expectations of Fulham are our own- we are our hardest critic so as it's the first league match let's all take a deep breath and hope that we put in a better performance on Thursday.

Jack Fulham

Think people are panicking a bit early, we didn't get into gear with Hughes until after Christmas, i just hope we don't have to wait as long under Jol. I would say bring back Baird though because we certainly lacked attacking threat on the right hand side today. As of Hangeland/Hughes/Senderos situation, I am unconcerned, I believe all partnerships are capable of playing well together. I personally am not bothered by breaking up the Hughes and Hangeland partnership as Senderos has proved more than adequate when called upon, I still think Hughes is a great player though. I am also unconcerned about the result, we were playing an ALEX MCLEISH side who usually sets his sides out to be more defensive than offensive, Villa also have some decent players so I'm happy with a point although we were capable of getting all three. Etuhu needs to be dropped for Sidwell and maybe Dembele and Zamora start against Wolves and we should be victorious.

COYW.

YankeeJim

Well, we don't have a right back do we? Perhaps the thinking is that we have Senderos and if Aaron can play outside & we can use the money saved to anti up for a partner for Bobby. AJ is like a middle weight boxer fighting a heavy weight. He runs around, jabs a lot but doesn't do any damage. Some gaffers like bulls at center back. Aaron is not a particularly big man.

I don't know. We are all doing what we yanks call Monday morning quarterbacking. as I've said before, the problen today was Danny & Dixon. Aaron and Senderos did fine.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jack Fulham

Baird is a right back.

Only issue is that Baird got torn apart by Bale a few years back when we drew 3-3 with Spurs and Kamara scored equalising overhead kick. Probably why Jol doesn't rate him.

bog

What I saw of Murphy on MOTD was he setting up two of our best chances. 

Jack Fulham