watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

About Brek Shea

Started by HatterDon, August 17, 2011, 05:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I didn't want to hijack the only Eddie Johnson thread in history that hasn't turned nasty -- yet -- so I started a new one on Steve-o-rino's comment about FC Dallas.

I have to say I was mightily impressed with Brek Shea in the last international. In addition to the physical skills he showed, it was easy to notice that he was always making himself available for the pass or to link. He made quick decisions and was able to find space -- something that is becoming a rarity for most professionals everywhere.

I remember that even before he signed with MLS he was being mooted as a potential Fulham player. Of course, that was when we were considered the home of American players.

Is he going to be "the next big thing" to leave MLS and come to Europe?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

clintclintdeuce

Next Big thing, yes. Hopefully his move is made shortly, and facilitated by J.K. to a side that will have him playing from the start.

But didnt you know Robby Findley scored and made a penalty against Notts County in the League Cup. Big things on the horizon....
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 17, 2011, 05:55:18 PM
Next Big thing, yes. Hopefully his move is made shortly, and facilitated by J.K. to a side that will have him playing from the start.

But didnt you know Robby Findley scored and made a penalty against Notts County in the League Cup. Big things on the horizon....

Yep, I saw that, but I'm thinking about players who are already there. I'm hoping that Steve has some good insights, having seen Shea more than the rest of us.

Steve_orino

Howdy Don, not sure you're awares but the young Shea hails from College Station...another rural Texan to make it big in Europe?

What I saw from Shea in the US game looked nothing different from what I've seen of him with Dallas.  FCD usually plays a 4-1-4-1 and Shea is set up out wide on the left as more of a winger.  When he gets the ball in dangerous areas, he makes runs straight for the near post; from there he takes what the defense gives him.  There is an occasional switch to the right side & he'll also come inside to get the ball (especially since we lost the MVP of last season, David Ferreira).

BS turned 21 recently - we drafted him when he was 18.  First couple of years required some maturation & this year seems to be the culmination of the hard work from him & the manager.  FCD boasts some good quality for an MLS side, who has become a top 4 Club but I believe playing with the likes of Donovan, Agudelo, Dempsey, & Holden would provide him with more space & make him more dangerous.  He's listed at 6'3" but I couldn't tell you if he's a set-piece target or not - with the D.Ferreria injury, we don't have a quality s-p taker.  His size combined with his skill set, especially out wide, makes him unique. 

Can he make it in Europe?  He recently signed a 4 year deal with Dallas, so hopefully they're willing to pay up :)  This time last year I would have said, "No," I thought he was going to be a good/great MLS player.  Now, with the maturity he's shown and most importantly the consistency he's performed at, I think he can/will make it in Europe.  It appears the FCD manager grounded him & made him realize the value of hard work – two requirements I think are important for any player going abroad.  As far as becoming "the Next Big Thing," well that comes down to where he goes, the manager, & him.

My prediction...he'll be off somewhere this winter training with a Club and a deal won't be struck until the summer of '12.  Schellas Hyndman, the manager of FCD speaks Portugese & has a lot of connections South of here.  Jurgen Klinsmann obviously has ties to Germany.  Premier League is considered the primo League for us Yanks.  It will be interesting to see, if he does indeed go abroad, where he ends up.

More reading - http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-tsn-ahn-westfall-column-mls-20110817,0,2641086.story
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

Hey HD - Read this article, it'll sum up Shea better than I can.  In fact, the part about him mumbling is true...he was on a local radio station and it was excruciatingly painful for the host to get more than 3 words out of Shea...

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6867601/brek-shea-breakout-season-makes-strongest-mvp-candidate-soccer-mls
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Thanks, Steve. It's an interesting read. It's hard to beat a lefty Texan.  :HD: