more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (18/08/11)

Started by WhiteJC, August 18, 2011, 07:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Martin Jol focused on Europa League tie, not his face-to-face with Juande Ramos

Fulham boss Martin Jol has played down talk of animosity with Dnipro coach Juande Ramos despite the Spaniard controversially replacing him as Tottenham manager four years ago.

The Dutchman was sacked as Spurs manager in acrimonious circumstances in 2007 before being swiftly replaced by then-Sevilla coach Ramos.

Jol's departure came after a successful 2006/07 season and months into the new campaign, during which time stories emanated about Tottenham officials meeting Ramos.

The pair come head-to-head for the first time tomorrow evening as Ramos brings his Dnipro side to Craven Cottage for the first leg of their Europa League play-off.

Jol was keen to turn attention away from any potential grudge match in today's pre-match press conference, although he seemingly made a jibe at his counterpart.

"He was there for 10 or 11 months and moved on and then ended up in the Ukraine," he said with a smile. "So it's something to think about.

"They play well. I was there last year playing against Dynamo Kiev. I think it is a strong competition."

Jol went onto successful spells with Hamburg and Ajax after leaving Spurs and returned to English football with Fulham this summer.

Ramos, by comparison, spent a short stint at Real Madrid and was sacked after just 47 days in charge of CSKA Moscow before joining Dnipro.

When asked about their different career paths, Jol retorted: "Talking about him is a different issue. Do you want to talk about him or about me? About both?

"I don't want to focus on the coach. He's important, but not that important. Same as me.

"They have to show it on the pitch. The only thing we can do is try and take control and bring our vision over to the players.

"Don't make it more important than this."

Jol's side have already dispatched Faroese minnows NSI Runavik, Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders and NSI Runavik of Croatia on their route to the play-offs.

The Ukrainian side were knocked out at this stage last year and have struggled in the Ukrainian Premier League of late, although Jol insists he is not taking them lightly.

"It's a good team, if you know the level of football over there," he said. "They've got a couple of good teams, very strong teams.

"Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk are the best two, then Dnipro. They play a high tempo, technically skilful. It's a very good footballing team.

"We are confident; 0-0 will not be the best of results.

"We need a cushion to go there because, at home, they're strong. We'll need a good result."

Fulham come into the match off the back of a 0-0 home draw with Aston Villa at the weekend but Jol is confident his side can find the net tomorrow.

"It's a different game, we start all over again," he added.

"We created chances against Villa, but not enough for my liking at home.

"The difference always is to score a goal. I would have been satisfied if we'd scored one.

"We were the better team and should have scored. But, although it's a different side tomorrow, it's an adventure.

"It's a new thing. I've been here for nine weeks and we will probably play in this style up front for the first time tomorrow.

"We'll wait and see. I'm very confident. We have to trust the players. We will play with a few other players tomorrow."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23979112-martin-jol-focused-on-europa-league-tie-not-his-reunion-with-juande-ramos.do?

WhiteJC

Roger Brown Tribute

The Club would like to pay tribute to former player Roger Brown, who sadly passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning at just 58 years of age.

Roger will be fondly remembered by Fulham Football Club as a truly great servant and a favourite of the Cottage faithful.

Roger's goalscoring feats at Fulham, as a defender, with 12 goals during the 1981-82 campaign remains  a Club record. Hisheaded goal against Lincoln City that secured promotion in the 1981-82 season clinched his place in Fulham history.

Born in Tamworth in Staffordshire on 12 December 1952, Roger joined his local club, Walsall, in 1970 as an apprentice but failed to make the grade.

He became a production manager in an engineering firm based in Lemington and joined the local club as a semi-professional. Bournemouth revived his Football League career at the age of 25 when they signed him from AP Lemington in February 1977.

A powerful, dominant central defender, Roger was soon spotted by First Division club Norwich City and moved to Norfolk in July 1979 for a fee of £85,000. He stayed eight months before joining Fulham for a £100,000 fee but was unfortunately injured on his debut against Chelsea.

Roger became a great favourite at the Cottage and was an inspirational leader in Fulham's promotion season of 1981-82 when he scored the vital goal against Lincoln in the last match to ensure a return to the Second Division.

In December 1983 Roger moved to Bournemouth and won an Associate Members Cup-winners' medal in 1984.

The Club would like to pass on its deepest sympathies to Roger Brown's family at this difficult time.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/RogerBrownTribute.aspx?#ixzz1VMM5OcBw

WhiteJC

Cottagers without midfield duo

Fulham midfielders Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise will not feature in Thursday's Europa League play-off first leg against Dnipro.

Davies will not face the Ukrainian team at Craven Cottage due to a knee injury, while Riise is suffering with a hamstring problem.

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is in contention once again despite a broken hand, which he will wear a protective cast over.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-without-midfield-duo-1263298.html?

WhiteJC

Eddie Johnson deal with MLS 'unlikely' to be finalized because of contract issues

Eddie Johnson to MLS? Not so fast.

After the league announced Tuesday that the on-again, off-again U.S. national team forward had agreed to terms and would be allocated to an MLS club this week, the 27-year-old forward had second thoughts and pulled out of the deal, multiple sources told the Insider.

The sides had verbally agreed to a three-year contract valued at a prorated figure this year (based on a $175,000 salary), $225,000 in 2012 and $275,000 in 2013. One unidentified team agreed to take him at those numbers. But Johnson wasn't happy with the pact and apparently told his representatives that he wanted a larger base contract.

So the deal with MLS is "unlikely" to happen at this time, one source said.

As a free agent, Johnson could still end up in MLS before the Sept. 15 roster deadline. But given the circumstances of this episode, it's hard to see a club taking a chance on Johnson, who, after leaving MLS in 2008, scored seven goals in 80 appearances for four European clubs (Fulham, Cardiff City, Aris, Preston North End). Aris in Greece was reportedly interested in signing him this month.

MLS officials declined to comment and his representatives couldn't be immediately reached.

UPDATE: Johnson's agent, Richard Motzkin, wrote on Twitter that "we were in the final stages of negotiation with MLS but never reached agreement, subject to formal documents."

UPDATE: "We had reached agreement, subject to formal documents," MLS executive vice president Todd Durbin told MLSsoccer.com. "It's unfortunate the player did not want to conclude a formal agreement, but we wish him well in his future endeavors."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/eddie-johnson-deal-with-mls-unlikely-to-be-finalized-because-of-contract-issues/2011/08/17/gIQACVDILJ_blog.html?

WhiteJC

Through the Ranks: Cauley Woodrow

As one of the Academy's newest recruits, Cauley Woodrow is looking forward to his first full season in the white of Fulham. A creator and taker of goals, the 16-year-old is an exciting talent who has already tasted senior first team action with former club Luton Town.

He also became the first non-league player since 1974 to win a full England age-group cap when he scored on his debut for England Under-17s last February. Highly-rated, his development should be monitored closely...

As a striker scoring goals are a big part of my game. But I like to think I give more to the team as well. I like to get on the ball and use it as best as I can. I'm certainly a team player and, as much as I love putting the ball in the back of the net, I like to set chances up too. I'm predominantly a centre-forward, but I can also play in the hole as a number 10.

Every player has long and short-term targets, even us younger boys within the Academy. Long-term, I want to be playing for the First Team and doing well. It's a long way off and I have a lot to do to make that happen, but that's the goal. Short-term, I just want to be doing as well as I can for the Under-18s and hopefully getting a few games for the Development Squad. It's my first full season for the Club, so I'm very excited right now.

It's a good time to be part of this Academy. The Under-18s won their league last season and subsequently reached the Play-Off final, which they narrowly lost. I'm aware that they have had success and that we have to build on that. It will be a challenge but hopefully, together, we can have another season to remember.

It's kind of a new era for the Under-18s. A lot of new players have come in, while some of the older boys have moved up. We haven't played too much together, but from what I have seen, we have the potential to do well. We're finding our feet at the moment and we have been working very hard over pre-season. We're a close group off the field, so hopefully we will reap the benefits.

I joined the Club towards the end of last season having spent a bit of time at Luton Town. It's early days, but I have really enjoyed myself so far. The Academy is fantastic and I'm enjoying working with the likes of Kit Symons. I've learned a lot already. No disrespect to Luton, but I'm playing for a Premier League club now so the step up has been massive. It's been hard, but I'm determined to do well.

Fulham fans might not know this, but I actually played for Luton's first team. I played in the early rounds of the FA Cup and FA Trophy at 15 and it was an experience I will never forget. Playing in front of crowds is what it is all about, and hopefully I can do that again at some point.

A few clubs looked at signing me, but Fulham impressed me most. First impressions are so important and from very early on when I was shown around I knew it would be a good place for me to learn and develop. It's a really friendly club, where everyone seems to know each other. We're all made to feel like we are part of things.

We've already seen a few young players represent the First Team over recent weeks which has been great. Players like Kerim Frei have done really well and their inclusion shows that there are chances at this Club. If you work hard, do well and show the promise then you will get your opportunity. I would love to follow those boys and play for the First Team as well.

My favourite player at Fulham has to be Mousa Dembélé, and that's not just because I clean his boots! We play in the same position so I can learn a lot from watching him play. He's strong, keeps the ball well, has quick feet and is very skilful. I think he could have a really big season ahead of him. The fans like watching him play and I'm no different.

Outside of the Club, the player that I most look up to is David Beckham. He's a good role model for younger players, and shows what can be achieved through hard work and dedication. He looks after himself and is still going at 36. When you look back on the past 10 years or more really, he's been one of the best in the game – certainly for England.

The biggest influences on my career have been my Mum Lynn, sister Cassidi and my family. My Mum has taken me all over the place for games and very rarely misses a match. She's learned to keep quiet now, so I wouldn't say she shouts as much as she once did! Bless her though, and to be fair she does know a lot about the game.

The biggest moment for me so far has to be playing for England. I played for the Under-17s in a tournament last February in Portugal. I scored on my debut against Romania which was an amazing feeling, and although I know it was for one of the younger age groups, it was a very special moment. You dream about scoring for your country, and I'm very fortunate to have done so!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/ThroughtheRanksCauleyWoodrow.aspx?#ixzz1VMMztuOq

WhiteJC

FULHAM v Dnipro: Zamora should start despite broken hand but Davies misses out

Fulham midfielders Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise will not feature in Thursday's Europa League play-off first leg against Dnipro at Craven Cottage.

Davies will not face the Ukrainian team due to a knee injury, while Riise is suffering with a hamstring problem.
England striker Bobby Zamora is in contention once again despite a broken hand, which he will wear a protective cast over.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora, Dembele.

Hand it to him: Bobby Zamora is in contention again despite his injury

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2027019/Fulham-v-Dnipro-Bobby-Zamora-returns-Europa-League-clash.html#ixzz1VMNCasMl

WhiteJC

Salcido

Per the official:

The Club can confirm that defender Carlos Salcido has joined Mexican Primera División team Tigres de la UANL on a season long loan.

When Salcido went the full 90 minutes in last week's USA-Mexico friendly, I knew he was a goner. He never featured in any of the Europa League squads, nor in last weekend's EPL opener.

And as things currently stand, there will be one year left on his deal when he this loan expires next summer. So, might as well write the obituary now.

Salcido was supposed to fill the gaping hole left by Paul Konchesky's ill-fated departure to Liverpool. He would ultimately struggle through injury and bad form, but finished the season strong. In a season that saw five different squad members play left back, Salcido had the most with 22 league appearances, including 12 of the final 13 matches. He registered two assists, both crosses to Clint Dempsey's head. Video reminiscences below:

Blackburn Fulham 1 1

Although the media focused on the language issue as his presumable out, (really, he never picked up another language after spending 4+ years in Holland?) Salcido faced an uphill battle for minutes with the signing of John Arne Riise, and the ongoing emergence of Matty Briggs (is this his breakout year?). At age 31, it makes sense he'd want to return home.

It seemed fans never warmed to Salcido for obvious, and some not so obvious, reasons. He was a topic of discussion in our latest round table, being a disappointment to most. But similar to other players who have left the squad this window, he will be missed but replaced.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/salcido/?

WhiteJC

Jol rejects Ramos problem
Fulham manager denies there is any rivalry with the Spaniard

Martin Jol has tempered suggestions of any ill-feeling between him and Juande Ramos because of the Spaniard replacing him as Tottenham Hotspur coach in 2007.

The Dutchman was unceremoniously sacked as Spurs boss just two months into the 2007-08 season and Ramos took over the reins at White Hart Lane.

However, unlike Jol, who led the Lilywhites to two successive top-five finishes in the Premier League, Ramos failed to achieve the same level of success and was sacked in October 2008.

The pair will confront each other on Thursday evening in the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie at Craven Cottage, this time with Jol managing Fulham and Ramos in charge of Ukrainian club Dnipro.

Jol, though, has downplayed talks of there being any bad feeling between him and the former Sevillaand Real Madrid coach, but could not resist making a sly jibe at him.

"He was there for 10 or 11 months and moved on and then ended up in Ukraine," said Jol with a smile during the pre-match press conference on Wednesday. "So it's something to think about."

Strong

The Fulham boss was then eager to give Dnipro their due credit and said: "They play well.

"I was there last year playing Dynamo Kiev. I think it is a strong competition."

The former Hamburg and Ajax boss added that they will need to win at home to progress to the group stage of the competition.

"It's a good team, if you know the level of football over there (in Ukraine)," said Jol. "They've got a couple of good teams, very strong teams.

"Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk are the best two, then Dnipro. They play a high tempo, technically skillful (football). It's a very good footballing team.

"We are confident, but 0-0 will not be the best of results. We need a cushion to go there because at home they are strong. We'll need a good result."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7108032,00.html?

WhiteJC

Stockdale Agony!

Over in Suffolk, David Stockdale isn`t having the best of times.

Sent to Portman Road, on loan, the Suffolk side are struggling and suffered a handsome walloping at the hands of Southampton last night.

Stockdale, although to be fair to him none of them were his fault, shipped five goals as Ipswich went down 5-2, at home to Southampton.

Never mind David, keep on smiling!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=251439#ixzz1VMONNVMU

WhiteJC

Fulham in for Bentley
by LYDIA on AUGUST 17, 2011

Skysports have suggested that Jol is interested in out of favour David Bentley. The winger has had moments of brilliance when covering for Aaron Lennon. However he had a quite unsuccessful loan spell to Birmingham last season. Fulham seem to always be interested in Bentley and there is no doubt that he would add something to our squad this year. We need to give the squad more depth so I think Bentley would be a decent addition to the squad as long as he doesn't bring a big ego with him!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/fulham-in-for-bentley/?

WhiteJC

Fulham    v    Dnipro

EUROPA LEAGUE PLAY-OFF ROUND QUALIFYING FIRST LEG
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Thursday, 18 August Kick-off: 1930 BST Coverage: Latest scores and reports on BBC Sport website and updates on BBC Radio 5 live

TEAM NEWS
Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise are both ruled out of Fulham's Europa League play-off first leg game against Dnipro at Craven Cottage.

Davies has a knee injury, while Riise is suffering with a hamstring problem.

Striker Bobby Zamora is set to start and will wear a protective cast on his broken hand.

The Ukrainians, coached by former Tottenham manager Juande Ramos, will give ex-Blackburn Rovers striker Nikola Kalinic his debut.

Fulham manager Martin Jol was controversially replaced by Ramos at Spurs four years ago, but he was keen to play down any talk of a grudge match.

He said: "I don't want to focus on the coach. He's important, but not that important. Same as me.

"They have to show it on the pitch. The only thing we can do is try and take control and bring our vision over to the players.

"Don't make it more important than this."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14486526.stm?

WhiteJC

Game Preview - Dnirpo (h)

It's being billed as though two amateur boxers are squaring up on the biggest of stages on Thursday evening, not when Fulham face Dnirpo in the final hurdle that halts progression to the group stages in our favourite European competition, but when Martin Jol pits his extensive wit and know-how against that of his former Spurs successor Juande Ramos.

Of course, as always in the World of misty-eyed tabloid journalism, the affair has been a little exacerbated by heady ramblings, and Martin Jol moved quickly to diminish any hopes of a touchline fist fight which, most assuredly, Martin Jol would win with comparative ease. "I don't want to focus on the coaches," said Jol, probably deep in thought of the many ways he could sit on Juande Ramos and make him beg for painless mercy.

If there is, however, a statistical battle that has ever been fought between the pair, our manager would have the bragging rights - not least based on their current destinations. While Dnirpo do provide a steady and easily inflatable ship for Ramos to pump up to nigh-on explosion, there is little doubt that to surpass Shakthar Donetsk in their respective Ukrainian league, they'd have to spend more money on talent than News of the World did on private investigators.

Dnirpo have unquestionably improved over recent years, however, and their European pedigree is respectable enough to concern us, and to force Gavin Hamilton of World Soccer Magazine to suggest we have the 'trickiest draw of all the English teams'. As latterly as 2005, Dnirpo achieved a place in the last sixteen of the UEFA Cup, only to be thwarted by a decent Partizan Belgrade side. 2011 saw them finish fourth in the Ukrainian Premier League.

Their form of late is mixed and their strike force is strongly recognisable - Blackburn's Nikola Kalinic now leading the line. Shakhtar recently defeated Ramos' side with unnerving ease, winning 3-1 on Dnirpo's turf, with the home side dropping to a measly ninth in the table. It's early days, however, with only six games played.

Fulham's form has been similarly mixed, though a defeat is yet to be marked on the Cottager's fixture list in what is set to be an extensive campaign. Though our competitive tests so far have not been worthy of such an overwhelming descriptive, we still uphold an undefeated record - our sturdiest analysis provided in Croatia by RNK Split. Villa visited SW6 on Saturday and left pleased, a point and an in form goalkeeper their rewards for a resilient performance.

A confirmed non-starter on Thursday night remains Bjorn Helge Riise, who, while watching his brother reach the stimulating heights only regular Premier League football can bring, is injured. Simon Davies joins him and following Carlos Salcido's departure to Tigres on a year-long loan, the squad is yet again thinning.

For Dnirpo, Kalinic is set to make his début after what Ramos claimed were 'exhausting' negotiations over his transfer.

Let's hope their goalkeeper is also exhausted after Thursday evening's game.

Score Prediction: Fulham 2 - 0 Dnirpo

Predicted Team Line-Up: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird; Dempsey, Murphy, Sidwell, Duff; Dembele, Zamora

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/8/17/2368443/game-preview-dnirpo-h?

WhiteJC

Roger Brown

Six foot two, eyes of blue, Roger Brown is after you!

This was not the post I intended to write this week but I've been somewhat taken aback by the news that, former centre back and club captain, Roger Brown passed away this morning at 58 years old.

Roger signed the year I started going to Craven Cottage. He was injured on his debut, a 2-1 loss at home to Chelsea, and didn't make another appearance until the following season by which tie we'd been relegated. He played regularly in that first year in Divsion Three and, if my memory serves, was made club captain only after Bobby Campbell had been sacked and Malcom MacDonald taken charge of the team.

The next two seasons, which corresponded with me attending nearly every home game as well as several away, he was an ever present. He scored an impressive 12 goals in 1981-82 including the header, pictured below, against Lincoln City which confirmed our promotion. His presence contributed to an incredible season in 1982-83 which saw us almost achieve back to back promotions, reaching the very brink of First Division football before failing at the last.

The 1983-84 season saw Malcolm MacDonald resign due to non-football related press allegations, and subsequently the team that had done so well systematically broken up. Roger returning to Bournemouth, the club who had given him his first professional job, towards the end of 1983.

It may not have lasted long but Roger left his mark on Fulham history. To me he WAS the heart and soul of Fulham. A lion on the field, physically tough and completely committed, but a gentlemen off it.

Rest in peace Roger.

Photo copyright Ken Coton check out more of Ken's work via the link

WhiteJC

Jol focused on getting Fulham to Europa League group stages but cannot hide disdain for Ramos

Fulham manager Martin Jol did his best to play down suggestions of bad blood between himself and Juande Ramos but the disdain the Dutchman feels towards the man who replaced him at Tottenham is inescapable.

Good to be back: Jol is pleased to be managing in England again

Axed: Jol was sacked by Spurs in October 2007

Likely line-ups:
Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Hughes, Hangeland, Senderos, J-A Riise; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Sidwell; Zamora, Johnson.
Dnipro (4-4-2): Lashtuvka; Mandzyuk, Kulakov, Giuliano, Konoplyanko; Olienik, Cheberyachko, Strinic, Boateng; Rotan, Kalinic.
Referee: Pavel Kralovec (Cz).

Four years after Ramos, then manager of Sevilla, was approached about Jol's job at White Hart Lane, the two managers go head to head for the first time at Craven Cottage on Thursday night.

Replacement: Ramos took charge of Spurs after Jol and won the Carling Cup

Legend has it that Jol was told during a 2-1 UEFA Cup defeat by Getafe that he was being replaced.

He went on to manage Hamburg and Ajax before Fulham.

But, after failing at Tottenham and Real Madrid, Ramos was sacked after 47 days at CSKA Moscow before taking over at Ukrainian side Dnipro who visit Fulham in a Europa League play-off.

When asked about the paths their careers had taken, Jol said with a smirk: 'They pay well in Ukraine.
'Will I shake his hand? I will always respect people in football.

'I'll forget him and we go on. He'll probably forget me as well, as he did before.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2027118/Jol-keen-focus-Fulham-Ramos-reunion.html#ixzz1VMQ9kENr

WhiteJC

Source: Eddie Johnson pulls out of MLS deal with another opportunity in place

Eddie Johnson has pulled out of his deal with Major League Soccer.

A day after MLS announced Johnson's return, a source close to the player told Goal.com that the league did not reach Johnson's salary demands.

Johnson entered negotiations with the understanding that he would not be a Designated Player, but he believed he would be among the highest paid players in MLS, which is not a guarantee.

The source said that Johnson would not have left the MLS offer on the table if he did not already have another opportunity in place to play elsewhere next season.

Johnson made his name in the North American league with FC Dallas between 2001-06, and then with the Kansas City Wizards from 2006-08, scoring a total of 41 goals.

His goalscoring form in MLS earned him a move to English Premier League side Fulham in 2008, but the American made little impact, failing to score in 18 appearances with the Cottagers.

He was loaned out to Cardiff City in 2008, which was followed by loans to Aris in Greece, and finally Preston North End in the English Championship last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-sourceeddiejohnsonpullsouto

WhiteJC

RAMOS: ONUS IS ON THE CLUBS

Dnipro boss Juande Ramos believes Tottenham are to blame for the manner in which he replaced Martin Jol as manager four years ago.

The Dutchman was sacked as Spurs coach after a poor start to the 2007/08 campaign and was swiftly replaced by the then Sevilla coach.

Ramos met with Tottenham officials while the Dutchman was still at the helm and comes face to face with the man he replaced for the first time on Thursday evening in the Europa League play-off first leg.

Earlier on Wednesday, Jol played down talk of animosity with Ramos, who believes the club are to blame for the controversial circumstances.

"It really is not up to coaches to decide the future of their career," he said.

"We're all professionals here and only clubs can make the decision of who they want to keep and who they want to send out.

"Really, it is not up to us. It really is up to the clubs."

Dnipro come into Thursday's match as relative unknowns in England, although they boast a host of international players including former Blackburn striker Nikola Kalinic.

Much is expected of Ramos' side back in Ukraine and the former Real Madrid coach hopes to cause an upset in west London.

"It's very pleasant to know that our supporters and fans expect victory from us," he said.

"We hope to be able to secure the victory against Fulham and hope the game is only the beginning.

"The match is really over 180 minutes and there is still a second leg to take place back home.

"While expectations are high, we still need to work hard to make sure we win.

"Each football match has its own characteristics and the game will be a competitive one.

"We understand it is quite challenging to be playing Fulham but we also understand the game is a competitive one.

"In each game both teams have a chance and we can only succeed if we work hard and play hard."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/08/17/SOCCER_Dnipro_Ramos.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

Fan's perspective: Will Eddie Johnson join the Chicago Fire?

On Aug. 16, the MLS announced that Eddie Johnson will be returning to Major League Soccer. The Chicago Fire are fourth in line in the MLS allocation order and have the potential of adding this striker to the roster. Fans may find out the player's fate by the end of the week.

Background on Eddie Johnson

Eddie Johnson played for Kansas City and FC Dallas in the MLS for seven years before leaving to join European clubs. He scored a total of 41 goals in more than 100 appearances during his time with the MLS. In 2008, Johnson went to the Premier League Fulham, but was later loaned to Cardiff City, Aris and Preston North End. During his time with the European clubs, Eddie Johnson has scored seven goals.

Allocation Order

The MLS allocation order places the Chicago Fire in the fourth spot. Chivas USA will have the first opportunity to acquire Eddie Johnson, but they may not want him. Recent rumors indicate that Juan Pablo Angel may be joining Chivas USA, so they may pass on the opportunity to acquire Johnson.

The Houston Dynamo are the second team on the allocation list, but they recently acquired forward Carlo Costly. It is unlikely that they will add a second striker in such a short period of time. Toronto FC, the third team on the list, have seven forwards and are probably not willing to spend money on an eighth one.

Possible Addition

If they are given the opportunity through the allocation process, the Chicago Fire may add Eddie Johnson. Although the roster already has several strikers, I would not be surprised by another addition. It would give the team more options and let them rotate more players. However, I am a little concerned about Johnson's fitness level and worried that he has deteriorated since leaving the MLS.

Johnson did not amaze the European clubs with his skills during his absence from MLS. His return to Major League Soccer feels more like a step down rather than career advancement. Although he is still considered a decent striker, I think the Chicago Fire already have a slew of decent players that do not bring results on the field.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=ycn-8978205

WhiteJC

RIP - Roger Brown

The sad news reached us today that a former Fulham favourite, Roger Brown, had died.

Aged 58, Roger will be remembered as a fine centre back whom was loyal to the cause and gave his all for our club.

Our thoughts are with his family.

RIP

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=251470#ixzz1VMS7qJ8c

WhiteJC

Cheerio Carlos

It was something that was always on the cards and something the club were always amicable to.

Our Mexican defender had expressed a desire to return to Mexico after being unsettled by a robbery at his home.

Well Carlos has gotten his wish after terms were agreed whereby he`ll go on loan to Tigres for the season.

Carlos made 23 appearances for Fulham last season and we`d like to wish him well in the latest chapter of his career.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=251471#ixzz1VMSQF36a

WhiteJC

Europa League: Mixed evenings for Stoke, Fulham and Birmingham
Three English teams are in action this evening and provide plenty of betting opportunities...

With the Premier League finally underway, the thought of some midweek Europa League games might not be the most appealing of prospects.

However, with Stoke City, Birmingham City and Fulham all in action tonight, there are plenty of ways to make a very tidy profit.

Thun vs Stoke City (6.30pm)

Stoke travel to Switzerland for their first-leg game against Thun this Thursday having already seen off the even more obscure Hajduk Split in the last qualifying round.

The Potters head into this game as 7/5 favourites and look good to head back to the Britannia with a lead.

They were solid in their goalless draw with Chelsea at the weekend and, with Thun winning just one of their previous five games, backing a victory for Stoke looks like the bet.

Nacional vs Birmingham (7.45pm)

Championship side Birmingham have had a mixed start in the second tier with a win and a defeat in their opening two games.

Meanwhile, Portuguese side Nacional have drawn their opening game in their top-tier league and comfortably dispatched FH and Hacken in earlier Europa League rounds at home.

The Blues haven't won a competitive away game since a 1-0 victory over West Ham United in February so back Nacional to win at 5/6.

Fulham vs Dnipro

Fulham's Europa League credentials are already established thanks to their final appearance in 2010.

They should continue their good European form on Thursday with a win against Dnipro of the Ukraine.

The Cottagers haven't so much as conceded a goal in their four competitive home games this term and should comfortably see off Dnipro in the first leg.

Back Martin Jol's men to win at 4/6.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/europa-league/europa-league-mixed-evenings-for-stoke-fulham-and-birmingham_072958.html