more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (18/08/11)

Started by WhiteJC, August 18, 2011, 07:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Agent of Porto's Miguel Lopes does not rule out Fulham switch
The defender's representative does not exclude a move to the Premier League side as his charge is hoping to find first-team action away from Porto

The agent of Porto right-back Miguel Lopes has refused to knock down the possibility of the player joining Fulham.

The Portugal Under-21 international is highly expected to leave Porto in the transfer window following the €13 million signing of Santos' Danilo.

Lopes returned to Porto from a season on loan at Betis with hopes of securing a place at the Portuguese champions but has not featured for the club in the pre-season.

Betis and Zaragoza are believed to be targeting a loan move for the 24-year-old, but a report in news daily AS claims Fulham are weighing up a €1.5m bid for the player.

Questioned about a potential move to Fulham, Lopes' representative did not rule out a move to Craven Cottage as the defender is looking to get playing time.

"His wish is to play at Porto, if that cannot happen, then Porto must find the best solution for him," Artur Fernandes told Goal.com.

"No offer has yet been made and any club who want him must contact Porto first."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2011/08/17/2624556/agent-of-portos-miguel-lopes-does-not-rule-out-fulham-switch?

WhiteJC

Remembering Roger Brown
by DAN on AUGUST 17, 2011

There's not much I can add to Chopper's fine post on CCN remembering Roger Brown.

He was, of course, well before my time at Fulham but the memories of many others tell the story. As does the fact that he was a key part of Malcolm Macdonald's fantastically enterprising side that so nearly went all the way to the top flight.

This was perhaps the moment he'll be most remembered for:

Fulham v Lincoln 1982

Let's hope the boys pay him a fitting tribute tomorrow night.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/remembering-roger-brown/?

WhiteJC

Porto's £1.4m-rated defender Lopes joins Fulham's wish-list

Fulham have added Porto's Miguel Lopes to their list of potential right backs and are willing to offer £1.4million.

Craven Cottage manager Martin Jol has shown interest in Serge Aurier of Lens, Dnipro's Samuel Inkoom and Cristian Zaccardo from Parma.

Defender search: Martin Jol looking to Porto's Lopes

Lopes, 24, was sent out on loan last season to Real Betis by their then manager Andre Villas-Boas.

The Spanish side want him back but Jol is keen, having also just loaned out Carlos Salcido, 31, to Mexican side Tigres.

Jol has again been linked with interest in Tottenham's David Bentley and admitted he may make a bid to sign Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui.

Jol said: 'It's not unthinkable for me to sign Mounir. He is incredibly honest and amazingly direct. He could be a pleasant surprise.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2027192/Fulham-hunt-Porto-defender-Miguel-Lopes.html#ixzz1VMTu2KO8

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with Carlton Cole

Tomorrow's Daily Mirror links Fulham with a move for West Ham striker Carlton Cole.

Cole, 27, has started the season with relegated West Ham but has interested several Premier League clubs. The former Chelsea has already turned down the chance to join Stoke and Martin Jol is known to be keen on recruiting back-up for Bobby Zamora.

Cole, who scored 11 goals in 43 appearances for the Hammers last season, got off the mark with a goal in West Ham's 4-0 win at Watford last night. The Mirror suggests he is keen to stay in London, but the sticking point to a possible deal will probably be West Ham's valuation of the player.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/fulham-linked-with-carlton-cole/?

WhiteJC

United snub Fulham Diouf loan bid

Fulham have an approach to take Manchester United forward Mame Biram Diouf on loan turned down.

The Senegalese striker spent last season on loan at Blackburn Rovers, scoring six times in 30 appearances at Ewood Park. Martin Jol was apparently keen to take the 23 year-old on loan, but was told that he would only be available for a permanent transfer at £6m. The Fulham manager has turned his attentions elsewhere and interest from Everton and Blackburn has been cooled by Sir Alex Ferguson's valuation.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/united-snub-fulham-diouf-loan-bid/?

WhiteJC

Europa League preview: Jol and Ramos go head-to-head

Martin Jol will face Juande Ramos tonight for the first time since he was replaced as Tottenham manager by the Spaniard in 2007. Jol's Fulham host Ukrainian side Dnipro, now managed by Ramos.

Ramos's spell in charge lasted only one year. "He was there for 10 or 11 months and moved on and then ended up in the Ukraine," Jol said. Fulham, whose left-back Carlos Salcido joined Mexican club Tigres on a season-long loan yesterday, will be without Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise.

Roger Brown, who played for Fulham in the early 1980s, passed away yesterday morning.

Matthew Upson could make his Stoke City debut in Switzerland tonight, as Tony Pulis's side travel to FC Thun. Jonathan Woodgate will not be risked.

Birmingham City play Nacional in Portugal, and manager Chris Hughton wants to keep the tie alive. "It's not just about one game," he said, "it's about doing it over a couple of games." Cameron Jerome, Nikola Zigic and Marlon King are all out.

Rangers travel to NK Maribor of Slovenia, while Celtic host Swiss side FC Sion.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/europa-league-preview-jol-and-ramos-go-headtohead-2339476.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Europa League play-off, 7.30pm Thursday 18 August
Fulham's Martin Jol promises due respect for Dnipro's Juande Ramos
• Jol bears no ill feeling towards successor at Tottenham
• Recognises threat of Ukrainian side to Fulham

The Fulham manager, Martin Jol, has refused to condemn Juande Ramos for
succeeding him at Tottenham Hotspur. Photograph: Tony O'Brien/Action Images

The Fulham manager, Martin Jol, will come face to face with Juande Ramos at Craven Cottage this evening insistent that he bears no ill feelings towards the man who controversially replaced him at Tottenham Hotspur almost four years ago.

Ramos brings the Ukrainian side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk to south-west London for the first leg of the Europa League play-off tie and Jol is dismissive of suggestions the occasion offers him an opportunity to gain a measure of revenge for events back in 2007. The Dutchman's tenure at Spurs appeared to have been undermined when the club's then vice-chairman, Paul Kemsley, and club secretary, John Alexander, were photographed meeting Ramos, then Sevilla's manager, in a Spanish hotel.

It was another two months before Jol, whose side languished third-bottom in the Premier League at the time after a solitary win from their opening 10 games, was dismissed before a Uefa Cup tie against Getafe, with news of his sacking leaking out at half-time in that fixture. Ramos was duly appointed the following day. Asked whether he would shake hands with the Spaniard on Thursdaynight, Jol nodded and said: "Always I respect people in football. For me the main thing is to get to the next round of this competition. If we don't, it's nothing to do with him. I'll forget him and we go on. He'll probably forget me as well, as he did before.

"You can always have ill feeling when you leave a club. But I've left clubs before Spurs and I've left them since. I left Hamburg after a year. It's not about him. It's about other people, always. I've had over 1,100 games in football as a player and a manager, so I know this happens. As it was, he [Ramos] was there for 10 or 11 months and moved on and ended up in the Ukraine. So it's something to think about."

That was said with a smile. Jol's career path has taken him to Hamburg and Ajax before he secured his return to the Premier League this summer, with Ramos' brief spell at White Hart Lane – he claimed the Carling Cup in 2008 but was sacked after a dismal start to the following season – having been followed by a brief spell at Real Madrid and 47 days with CSKA Moscow. He joined Dnipro in October 2010, although the Ukrainians are currently enduring a rather sluggish start to their own domestic campaign.

"It really is not up to coaches to decide the future of their respective careers," said Ramos when asked about his imminent meeting with the man he replaced at White Hart Lane. "We're all professionals and only clubs can make the decision of who they want to keep and who they want to sack. Really it's not up to us. It's always up to the clubs."

Jol, while acknowledging this as his side's sternest test of the season to date, will rest some first-team players against Dnipro with Sunday's trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers in mind. Both Simon Davies (knee) and Bjorn Helge Riise (hamstring) will be absent and Steve Sidwell and Moussa Dembélé are likely to feature. "I'll pick players in this game that I trust," the Dutchman added before his team's eighth competitive game of the campaign. "We'll have to aim not to concede and get a nice cushion to go there, because we'll need that. NK Split were a good side [in the previous round] but this will be a different kettle of fish. At home Dnipro are a very strong team so we'll need a good result."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/18/martin-jol-fulham-juande-ramos-dnipro?

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL OUT TO RAM HOME VICTORY

FULHAM boss Martin Jol is out to make sure Juande Ramos remains the forgotten man of Europe.

Jol has unfinished business with Dnipro boss Ramos, who replaced him at Tottenham at half-time during a UEFA Cup match in October 2007.

The Spaniard had spoken with Spurs officials two months before he took over.

It has taken almost four years for the pair to cross paths. After Spurs, Jol went on to Hamburg and Ajax, while Ramos flopped at White Hart Lane.

Ramos then had an unsuccessful spell at Real Madrid before a 47-day stint at CSKA Moscow and then on to Ukraine side Dnipro.

Jol bears no ill-feeling and believes Ramos's exile out east is punishment enough.

He said: "He was there at Spurs for 10 or 11 months and moved on and ended up in the Ukraine. So... it's something to think about.

"It's not about him. It's about other people, always. I've had over 1,100 games as a player and a manager and I know this happens.

"It is my first time to play against one of his teams, he was in Russia and Ukraine, which is a bit far to play him every week.

"For me, the main thing is to get to the next round. If not, it's nothing to do with him. I'll forget him and we go on. He'll probably forget me as well, as he did before."

Fulham began their Premier League season with a 0-0 draw against Aston Villa and Jol will mix things up at Craven Cottage tonight in a bid to gain a first-leg lead.

"We will play with a few other players," he said.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/206616/Martin-Jol-out-to-Ram-home-victory/?

WhiteJC

BRAZIL TO PLAY GHANA IN FRIENDLY AT CRAVEN COTTAGE

BRAZIL will play Ghana in a friendly at Craven Cottage on September 5.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/265690/Brazil-to-play-Ghana-in-friendly-at-Craven-Cottage?

WhiteJC

Premier League - Match facts: Wolves v Fulham

Facts and figures ahead of the Premier League clash between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham at Molineux.

In the three previous seasons where they have met, one of the games between Wolves and Fulham has ended as a 2-1 home win, the other as a draw.

Wolves have won just one of their last five Premier League games at Molineux, including a 1-1 draw with Fulham.

After going on a run of just one away win in 35 Premier League matches, Fulham have won their last two Premier League road trips without conceding.

Fulham have lost only one of their last seven Premier League matches.

Fulham conceded the highest percentage of first-half goals (63%) in the 2010-11 Premier League.

The Whites conceded just 23% of their goals from set pieces in 2010-11, the lowest percentage in the top flight.

There has been a goal in the 22nd minute in each of the last three Premier League games involving Wolves.

Wolves have gone nine games without a clean sheet.

Wanderers have won three of their last four Premier League matches.

Since the start of February Fulham have kept a clean sheet if they haven't conceded a goal in the first half.

Opta

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18082011/58/premier-league-match-facts-wolves-v-fulham.html

WhiteJC

Mame Biram Ooof! United want £6m for striker

Manchester United want a staggering £6million fee for Mame Biram Diouf - after snubbing moves from Premier League rivals to take the reserve striker on loan.

The 23-year-old Senegalese forward was on loan at Blackburn last season and had a hit-and-miss campaign.

He scored a hat-trick in only his third Rovers appearance, against Norwich in the Carling Cup, but managed only three further goals in 29 more appearances.

But United chief Sir Alex Ferguson still wants a sky-high price for him, and interested clubs have been told that he is available for a permanent move rather than for hire.

Blackburn, Everton and Fulham have all checked out Diouf's availability, but none seem keen on him at United's inflated valuation.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Manchester-United-willing-sell-Mame-Biram-Diouf-but-want-6m-for-striker-linked-Blackburn-Everton-Fulham-article786609.html#ixzz1VMWwbKXr

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: West Ham looking to sell big-money duo

Relegated West Ham are hoping to offload big-earning duo Scott Parker to QPR and Carlton Cole to Fulham.

Rangers made a £4million bid for Parker on Wednesday night, but may need to double their offer to land the England midfielder.

The Premier League new boys have yet to splash much cash as they waited for the club's takeover by Tony Fernandes to be completed .

But the Malaysian airline entrepreneur will finalise the deal on Thursday after buying a 51 per cent stake from F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.

Parker 30, has already turned down Fenerbahce and Stoke as he does not want to leave the capital.

But a switch to Loftus Road would suit £70,000-a-week Parker, who is also wanted by Aston Villa but is out of their price range.

Fulham, meanwhile, are chasing another centre-forward to provide cover for, and compete with, Bobby Zamora.

New Cottagers boss Martin Jol fancies Cole, who also wants to stay in London and has, like Parker, said no to Stoke.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/QPR-bid-4m-Scott-Parker-West-Ham-skipper-while-Fulham-linked-Carlton-Cole-Hammers-striker-article786589.html#ixzz1VMXKVHX3

WhiteJC

Martin Jol will face Juande Ramos tonight - the man who replaced him as Spurs manager

FULHAM boss Martin Jol has played down talk of animosity with Dnipro coach Juande Ramos despite the Spaniard controversially replacing him as Tottenham manager four years ago.

The Dutchman was sacked as Spurs manager in 2007 before being swiftly replaced by then-Sevilla coach Ramos.

Jol's departure came after a successful 2006/07 season and months into the new campaign, during which time stories emanated about Tottenham officials meeting Ramos.

The pair come head-to-head for the first time tonight as Ramos brings his Dnipro side to Craven Cottage for the first leg of their Europa League play-off.

Jol was keen to turn attention away from any potential grudge match in today's pre-match press conference, although he seemingly made a jibe at his counterpart.

"He was there for 10 or 11 months and moved on and then ended up in the Ukraine," he said with a smile. "So it's something to think about.

"They play well. I was there last year playing against Dynamo Kiev. I think it is a strong competition."

Jol went onto spells with Hamburg and Ajax and returned to English football this summer.

Ramos spent a short stint at Real Madrid and was sacked after just 47 days in charge of CSKA Moscow before joining Dnipro.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/amateur-football/2011/08/18/martin-jol-will-face-juande-ramos-tonight-the-man-who-replaced-him-as-spurs-manager-100252-29256828/?#ixzz1VMjcfeaJ

WhiteJC

Cottage duo to miss Dnipro test

Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise are out of Fulham's Europa League play-off first leg against Dnipro at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

The midfield duo are still absent due to respective knee and hamstring problems ahead of the game against the Ukrainian outfit as Martin Jol's men look to reach the group stage of the competition.

However, the Dutch tactician will be able to call on influential striker Bobby Zamora, who will again wear a protective cast over his broken hand.

Meanwhile, Jol insists it is not a grudge match given that he will go up against Dnipro's Spanish coach Juande Ramos - the man who replaced him following his controversial sacking at Tottenham in 2007.

"I don't want to focus on the coaches," Jol said.

"He's important but not that important, the same as me. They have to show it on the pitch, don't make it more important than it is. I always respect people in football."

On the game itself, Jol added: "They play well. I was there last year playing Dynamo Kiev. I think it is a strong competition. It's a good team, if you know the level of football over there. They've got a couple of good teams, very strong teams.

"Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk are the best two, then Dnipro. They play a high tempo, technically skillful (football). It's a very good footballing team.

"We are confident, but 0-0 will not be the best of results. We need a cushion to go there because at home they are strong. We'll need a good result."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottage-duo-to-miss-dnipro-test-1263852.html?#.TkzWPHPHo98

WhiteJC

Martin Jol: Revenge no issue ahead of Juande Ramos' visit to Fulham
Martin Jol has played down talk of animosity with Dnipro coach Juande Ramos ahead of the first-leg of their Europa League play-off with Fulham tonight.

Tense: Fulham manager Martin Jol will come up against his Tottenham successor Juande Ramos in tonight's
Europa League match with Dnipro (Picture: Getty Images)

The Cottagers boss was sacked as Spurs manager in acrimonious circumstances in 2007 before being swiftly replaced by then-Sevilla coach Ramos.

Jol was keen to turn attention away from any potential grudge match yesterday but couldn't help aiming an apparent dig at the man who stepped into his shoes at White Hart Lane four years ago.

'He [Ramos] was there for ten or 11 months and then ended up in Ukraine,' said Jol with a smile. 'It's something to think about.'

Meanwhile, Cottagers midfielder Steve Sidwell believes Jol must strengthen his squad as the club look to meet the demands of continental football. Sidwell said: 'It [the Europa League] is great for the fans after what they experienced last year [when Fulham reached the final] but it's a long road [to the final].

'It's a tough, tough competition to win on top of the league season as well. For me, the Premier League is the hardest league in the world so we need a squad capable of challenging on both fronts.

We still need a few bodies in. The manager knows that and he's out looking.'

Sidwell admits the squad at Craven Cottage are already facing a fitness battle, just days into the new top-flight campaign.

Asked if it was hard to get up for these early-round matches, he added: 'It is. This time of year you're normally just finding your feet. But the further we go in the Europa League, the harder the games will get.'

Fulham season tickets now start at £397 for adults and £119 for juniors. Go to www.fulhamfc.com/seasontickets

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/872699-martin-jol-revenge-no-issue-ahead-of-juande-ramos-visit-to-fulham#ixzz1VMztHRJT

WhiteJC

Jol given Lopes hope

Martin Jol's hopes of signing FC Porto right-back Miguel Lopes have been boosted by his agent's admission he could be available.

The Cottagers chief has been linked with bringing in a new right-back before the transfer window closes at the end of August and the Portugal Under-21 international is the latest to be mentioned as a possible target.

Lopes' time at Porto appears to be over after the Portuguese and Europa League champions splashed out 13million euros to sign Danilo from Santos.

And, it is being reported that he could be set for a £1.4million move to Craven Cottage, while Real Betis - where Lopes spent time on loan last season - and Real Zaragoza have also been linked.

Lopes' agent Artur Fernandes refused to dismiss the possibility of the player moving to the Premier eague when asked about his future.

He told Goal: "His wish is to play at Porto, if that cannot happen, then Porto must find the best solution for him. No offer has yet been made and any club who want him must contact Porto first."

Meanwhile, speculation claims Jol is again looking at West Ham striker Carlton Cole and Tottenham winger David Bentley, while Manchester United have reportedly snubbed his attempts to sign Mame Biram Diouf on loan.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/08/18/Jol-given-full-back-target-hope/gnid-105155/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol plays up the ability of Ukranian side Dnipro

Dutch boss is however confident of victory at Craven Cottage

Fulham boss Martin Jol is playing up the ability of tonight's opponents Dnipro ahead of their Europa League play-off first leg at Craven Cottage tonight.

The Ukranian side have made a poor start to their domestic season and are currently ninth in a 16-team league six games in.

Jol however has sent a warning to his side, who have beaten Faroese minnows NSI Runavik, Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders and NSI Runavik of Croatia to get to this stage of the competition.

"It's a good team, if you know the level of football over there," he said. "They've got a couple of good teams, very strong teams.

"Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk are the best two, then Dnipro. They play a high tempo, technically skilful. It's a very good footballing team.

"We are confident; 0-0 will not be the best of results.

"We need a cushion to go there because, at home, they're strong. We'll need a good result."

They head into the match off the back of a goalless draw with Aston Villa in their opening league match of the season last Saturday. Jol has faith however that his side has the firepower to test Dnipro.

"It's a different game, we start all over again," he said.

"We created chances against Villa, but not enough for my liking at home.

"The difference always is to score a goal. I would have been satisfied if we'd scored one.

"We were the better team and should have scored. But, although it's a different side tomorrow, it's an adventure.

"It's a new thing. I've been here for nine weeks and we will probably play in this style up front for the first time tomorrow.

"We'll wait and see. I'm very confident. We have to trust the players. We will play with a few other players tomorrow."

For live interactive commentary of Fulham v FC Dnipro this Thursday evening join us at http://www.london24.com/sport/other/fulham from 7pm.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_jol_plays_up_the_ability_of_ukranian_side_dnipro_1_997810?

WhiteJC

Defensive Strength

Philippe Senderos is not underestimating the importance of tonight's UEFA Europa League Play-off encounter against FC Dnipro (Kick-Off 7:30pm).

The Swiss defender has enjoyed a positive start to the season with Fulham's defence performing well last weekend against Aston Villa - as well as in the Europa League qualification rounds.

But with Dnipro looking to secure a vital away goal, Senderos is well aware that a strong display at the back will be of paramount importance.

"We can't take Dnipro lightly," he told fulhamfc.com. "They're a good side and we want to go through to the group stages – that's very important for Fulham."

With competition for places at the back high, Senderos is also hopeful that the team will benefit ahead of a potentially game-packed campaign.

"If we go through in the Europa League it's going to be a lot of games and it's important that we have a good squad so we can rotate," he explained. "Hopefully, my fitness at the moment is quite good and it will continue to improve.

"It's good to have a lot of competition in these positions so it brings everyone to a higher level. We know that we've got different options at the back and in midfield. We all try to work as hard as we can to keep our places.

"It's important to keep everyone on a good level so that when we have to rotate, the players from the bench can produce good performances. For the moment, we've worked really hard in pre-season and everyone is at the top."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/SenderosDniproPreview.aspx?#ixzz1VN3WICTa

WhiteJC

Ruiz claims Fulham interest
Cottagers could move for Costa Rican

Twente star Bryan Ruiz has revealed that Fulham have made a move for him and he would be keen to switch to Craven Cottage.

The highly-rated Costa Rican had been strongly linked with Tottenham and Harry Redknapp admitted his interest, although added he was not a top priority.

However, Ruiz has now revealed that a deal with Fulham could be on the cards.

Ruiz told De Telegraaf: "Fulham is a serious option for me.

"That is also a Premier League side and it is a fantastic league.

"Fulham already contacted my agent. If Fulham does become serious, we will definitely talk."

Ruiz has been linked with a number of clubs this summer, but he insists he is not worried about his future.

"It makes no sense to worry, because I can't do anything about it," he said.

"Of course I want a step forward, but believe me I don't have any problems for a longer stay at FC Twente. FC Twente is a fantastic club."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11915_7109066,00.html?

WhiteJC

Rumours, Ramos and Roger

Martin faces off against the man who replaced him at Spurs, a Fulham legend leaves this world tragically young

Before we get down to previewing tonight's game with Dnipro, the sad news of the past 24 hours was Roger Brown losing his life to cancer at just 58. There's a tribute on the official site, but all long standing fans need no reminding of Roger's place in Fulham history. After making the '75 Cup Final - still our only ever appearance in England's showpiece cup competition, there was a gradual decline in our fortunes as we slipped down the divisions.

The team was revived under Malcolm McDonald but almost threw away promotion in 81/82 as nerves got the better of a young team over the run-in. Roger was a blond rock at centre-half and his 12 goals over the season remains a record for any defender. The crucial goal was a typically gutsy header in our final home game against Lincoln - a truly nerve-shredding night for fans who witnessed it - and the side went up, and then so nearly achieved another promotion the following season that would have put us into the top division.

Roger was at the Cottage for functions in recent years and insiders knew of his condition. He faced down his personal fight with fortitude in the same manner he played the game. The news yesterday brought to mind a match I reported on at Brentford in 1992. Arriving in the press box early the only other figure around was a certain Bobby Moore. We chatted - no, make that I chirruped away while Bobby listened - about Fulham-related stuff, Bobby then was doing radio work. I came away feeling he'd been a tad downbeat, almost monosyllabic. That winter Bobby too succumbed to bowel and liver cancer, a condition he'd chosen to keep private. England's World Cup winning captain, and a man in Fulham white for our Wembley final in '75, was gone at just 51. Representing FFC was Moore's final appearance at Wembley.

The football this week at the Cottage sees us take on Ukrainian side Dnipro for a place in the lucrative Europa League group stage. That would make six money spinning games in the run-up to Christmas, adding a handy £5 million pounds to club revenues. Two years ago we came through the mini-league stage, with hearts in our mouths, after ties with Roma, Basel and CSKA Sofia (Gera's header after Danny missed a pen - remember that?). Can we do it again?

Dnipro will be no pushover. They're managed by Juande Ramos, the man who replaced Jol at Spurs, although Martin has been quick to deny this is any kind of a 'grudge match.' Yes, our opponents walk in the shadow of Shakhtar in their domestic league, but they are no mugs. Before the USSR disintegrated Russia's national side of the late 80's (Euros finalists in '88 against the Dutch you may recall) relied heavily on players from the Ukraine. Dynamo Kiev were a formidable club at that time. Like us, Dnipro's star has risen in recent years with a millionaire backer and impressive new ground.

Czech keeper Jan Lastuvka, who had a short and not terribly impressive spell with us under Coleman, is on their books. Fulham are rumoured to have looked at their Ghanaian RB Sammy Inkoom, they've a couple of South Americans in their ranks and have just added Croatian international Kalinic to their attack in the past week from Blackburn. Goalscoring has been their problem this season. Dnipro sit halfway down the league and arrive on the back of a 3-1 loss to Shakhtar. But fully expect them to arrive in London ready to park the bus in front of goal.

Jol knows this is a step up in class for Fulham from the earlier rounds. He's emphasised the need to hold an advantage ahead of the return, as getting a result next week at their place could be a big ask. That means the side has to energise their attack from what we saw Saturday. Sidwell surely will start after Etuhu's poor display against Villa and we need to be at a high tempo from the off. With 20,000 expected let's hope we generate some of the passion from those famous nights two years ago and manage to build a two goal advantage at least.

As to those on-going transfer rumours...one thing Jol's done with the press is to quickly shoot down most of the names put to him. This week he dismissed any interest from the club in David Bentley. Now we hear Fulham are supposed to have bid for Porto's reserve right-back. Martin, why not pick Baird tonight and let him show what he can do on the big stage? Give the boy a break at least. I myself from my seat behind the goal will have AJ under scrutiny, but would be delighted if he bagged a hat-trick as he and Zamo terrorise the Dnipro back four. My instincts tell me however this may be your typically cagey European tie with our opponents happy simply to frustrate and break up our play.

Thursday begins with miserable grey skies and rain over a cool London. Well there's a Test match on at the sold-out Oval - what else did you expect? The trend for this lousy summer continues, but it should at least make the footie tonight by the river more exciting. Autumn is here already - and even my sister is coming along tonight with her boyfriend. That's not happened in a long time...

Enjoy the game and COYW! Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/08/rumours_ramos_and_roger.php?