more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Greatest Living British Actors?

Started by White Noise, March 03, 2010, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on March 04, 2010, 11:03:08 AM
This thread is about actors, not actresses, Lighthouse. The linguistic distinction exists in the English language. You don't get actors calling themselves actresses, not many anyway.
Its all this gender neutralisation rubbish emanating from the States. Girls calling themselves guys, etc. I take my lead from nature. When cows start growing cojones, I'll call them all bulls.

Oh my Dear fellow, you were wonderful in the play and so powerful. Oh you weren't in it. Never mind. Actresses will take great offence at not being called Actors. Within the profession Darling, Luvvie, you will find the term Actor relates to both male and female persuassion. Now that's enough about me, what did you think of my Romeo.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Equalizer

Derek Jacobi
Anthony Hopkins
Christopher Lee (how did anyone miss this??)
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

OldBrownShoe

Helen Mirren, Julie Walters, Judi Dench.  Oh! Exeunt stage right. :-[
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Dragoman

Quote from: White Noise on March 03, 2010, 11:19:12 PM
Agree about Tom Bell - is he alive?

Is dear dear Johnny Mills still going?

How about Peter O'Toole - or is he Irish.

Jeremey Irons?

Euan McGregor?

Bob Hoskins

Tom Bell died years ago. 
Another great actor is Jonathan Pryce currently starring in "The Caretaker" at the Trafalgar. One to watch out for is Mark Rylance who is currently starring in " Jerusalem" at the Apollo.
Little known Rylance won the Evening Standard award as Actor of the Year in 2009 and has been compared to Olivier. You heard it here first !

White Noise

Quote from: Dragoman on March 04, 2010, 02:20:48 PM

Jeremey Irons?

Euan McGregor?

Bob Hoskins

Tom Bell died years ago. 
Another great actor is Jonathan Pryce currently starring in "The Caretaker" at the Trafalgar. One to watch out for is Mark Rylance who is currently starring in " Jerusalem" at the Apollo.
Little known Rylance won the Evening Standard award as Actor of the Year in 2009 and has been compared to Olivier. You heard it here first !

Good calls on Rylance and Pryce Dragoman and thanks for reminding me why Tom Bell didn't do the rest of the Prime Suspects!! ;D

Can we not have women actors in this thread please - just fella's. We can start one for the Helen Mirren lovers later.

Where do youngsters like Jude Law, Orlando Bloom, Paul Bettany, Jonny Lee Miller and James Macvoy and the like rate?

Could I also suggest Fulham's own Hugh Grant. A much better actor than people give him credit for.

I agree with Ralph Fiennes and, indeed, Joseph Fiennes is a very fine actor.

Has Liam Neeson been mentioned? Top man.

Tim Spall and Jim Broadbent are 2 of my favourites but I can't belive Pete 'Usual Suspects' Postlethwaite has been overlooked so far.

Dickie Attenborough is still alive and Rowan Atkinson must deserve a mention in despatches?

I agree with Lighthouse that Branagh is great in Wallander (cue Lighthouse to clarify that he didn't say great he was just mildly impressed) and I think he will go on to be a tremendous credit to his profession.

You look back through this thread and we are knee deep in talent. Imagine getting any 6 of these in one film together - fantastic!

Come Ridgy and the boys - start an American version of this thread and see if you can get past Popeye Doyle and Scarface!! :P

FatFreddysCat

As you can imagine i'm not very good with rap artists, but Danny Dyer is in a film with i think 50 cent, and 50 cent describes Dyer as equal to Deniro :o. Saying that i have to to say i've warmed greatly to him, loved the Business,Football factory etc.

Dugliss

What about Phil Davies, never seen him bad in anything. And would have to agree with Ben Kingsley, how can Ghandhi be so scary?

Dugliss

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 04, 2010, 04:00:10 PM
As you can imagine i'm not very good with rap artists, but Danny Dyer is in a film with i think 50 cent, and 50 cent describes Dyer as equal to Deniro :o. Saying that i have to to say i've warmed greatly to him, loved the Business,Football factory etc.

The worst thing about him is that we`ve now got a whole generation of youngsters trying to be like him

White Noise

Danny Dyer is alright. Saw him on stage in a bit of Pinter and he was equal to the task.

I think confidence is his problem but if he just stood back for a moment and looked at how much acting work he has done and the objective assessments of his peers he might just realise that he has it in him to stretch himself.

He's not a great but how is he any different to the Terry Stamp's and Maurice Micklewhite's of yesteyear? I still have a soft spot for 'The Business' -

The Business Trailer

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on March 03, 2010, 11:23:37 PM

Jeremey Irons?

Euan McGregor?

Bob Hoskins

Peter O'toole's middle name is Seamus, so what do you think  ;)

So is Daniel Day Lewis, by the way.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: White Noise on March 04, 2010, 04:20:21 PM
Danny Dyer is alright. Saw him on stage in a bit of Pinter and he was equal to the task.

I think confidence is his problem but if he just stood back for a moment and looked at how much acting work he has done and the objective assessments of his peers he might just realise that he has it in him to stretch himself.

He's not a great but how is he any different to the Terry Stamp's and Maurice Micklewhite's of yesteyear? I still have a soft spot for 'The Business' -

The Business Trailer

Good to see you got the right film this time WN ;).

Lighthouse

Christian Bale of Batman fame and many other film is British I believe.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ron

Oh, Dickie, Larry, Ralph (sorry Raif), Johnny Mills, Johnny Gielgud..... they were all wwwwuuuuunnnderful dahhhling.......

VicHalomsLovechild

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

finnster01

There is also Gordon Kaye of Allo Allo and the long gone days when we could make decent sitcoms.

How I miss Herr Flick and The Fallen Madonna With the Large Boobies...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on March 05, 2010, 01:40:08 AM
There is also Gordon Kaye of Allo Allo and the long gone days when we could make decent sitcoms.

How I miss Herr Flick and The Fallen Madonna With the Large Boobies...

YOU STUPID WOMAN ... CAN YOU NOT SEE ... .  :D

great stuff.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

OldBrownShoe

Bernard Hill deserves an honourable mention. i am sure older Foffers will remember him in Boys from the Black Stuff but he has been in loads more besides and since.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

The Equalizer

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on March 05, 2010, 07:12:59 AM
Bernard Hill deserves an honourable mention. i am sure older Foffers will remember him in Boys from the Black Stuff but he has been in loads more besides and since.

King Theoden in Lord of The Rings. Quality actor.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

The Equalizer

Ooh, here's one I missed and who is one of the greatest British actors of all time.

I give you Daniel Day Lewis. He was absolutely unreal in There Will Be Blood.

"I drink your milkshake. I drink it UP!"