more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Holland - US

Started by finnster01, March 03, 2010, 11:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

So I watched the US game (and not England) and I made a few observations:

1) Did a bit of a Fulham vs Shakhtar in the first half and absorbed a lot of pressure and defended very well. The penalty was completely unnecessary and a bit soft, but still a penalty but  Sneider fell like he was shot for a little shirt/arm pull but you will never get away with that in international football right in front of the ref

2) At the same time the US got away with a clear penalty and handball in the second half

3) After the goal by Bocanegra (great header by the way) the US looked dangerous and had the world's number 3 team struggling at home.

4) Eddie Johnson is still very useless

I didn't watch England vs Egypt but the US match in the WC will certainly be no walk-over. I thought the US looked a lot more solid than I expected given the lineup. Holland didn't have Van Persie but other than that, they had everyone else. What are your thoughts?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

Wished I could of seen the game, much less post my thoughts on it.

sorry Finn, but thanks for the review. 
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

BarryP

I think that is a pretty good summary Finn.  For me the US team is a big IF right now.  If Dempsey is healthy or even semi-healthy he will probably play up top next to Altidore and give the US a lot more balance than what was displayed tonight.  Of course a healthy Dempsey could find his way back into the midfield if Charlie Davies makes a miracle return from the car accident. 

The squad on display tonight was missing three key players from the squad that finished runner-up in the Confederations Cup and in my opinion it showed today.  I am not sure what team Bradley will be able to field but I am pretty sure it will be very similar to Fulham in that it will be pretty organized defensively and look to capitalize on set pieces and individual moments of brilliance to score.  If the US can avoid the defensive brain cramps that seem to happen far to often they will not be an easy side to beat early on.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

RidgeRider

So Finn, I missed the match, based on your viewing of this match, what are your overall thoughts of the US squad and their chances in WC?

I should really be ashamed of myself but I don't them that closely, I have seen 3 matches over the last 9 months I would say, and we seem to show up sometimes and not others. I think I will start a thread about the team.

HatterDon

fair analysis, Mr. Finn. It does bear repeating that we're missing our best striker, our best central defender, and Clint Dempsey -- plus our first choice defensive mid partner for Michael Bradley. Having said all that, when all those gents are healthy and ready to play [if Davies and Onyewu EVER are], we'll still have a massive hole at LB. Heath Pearce is the only true LB we have, and he's not WC quality.

As for how we'll fare against England,

1. Our second and third choice goalkeepers are better than any English keeper NOT named Joe Hart. If Cappello uses anyone other than him, I like our chances.

2. England's central defense is coming apart at the seems. JT is playing like the poo he is, and Rio was always over-rated IMHO. The BEST English central defender of the current time is Ledley King. He's injured now, and when well he'd only be able to play every other match in SA. With everyone concerned about who is going to be England's LB, somebody should really look at the unraveling of your central defense.

3. England still haven't found a strike partner for Rooney. Granted, he doesn't have one at United, but Cappello's continued selection of Heskey and Owen for friendly run-ups stuns me.

4. England probably have the most talented group of attacking midfielders in the world, I don't see a midfield destroyer/holder in the bunch.

So, yeah; I think England can be taken by the USA ... but only with a fully-fit Dempsey and Davies on the pitch, and only with Bornstein back playing in the MLS.

Me? I'd be happy with 1-1 and the USA to go on to the knockout rounds. The injuries to Davies and Onyewu are career-destroying. Davies has a ton of heart, but his game was all about quick turns and flat-out pace. It's hard to do that with several ounces of titanium in you. And Gooch is reportedly getting better, but his asshole of an agent guaranteed that even a healthy Gooch wouldn't be match fit by encouraging him to sign for an AC Milan who never intended giving him a shot at a first-team slot.

As for England, with your GKs and with Rio and JT as your central pair, you're not going to win any 1-0 games -- you're going to have to hope that Rooney, Gerrard, and Lump-o-lard can give you 3-4 goals a game or you're up the spout. Six months ago, I had great hopes for England to actually win this thing. I don't think so now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Mr Hatter,

Your England analysis is pretty spot on in my book.

Too many question marks in the back and with a keeper (insert name) than can not even catch a cold you'll never win the world cup.

Midfield is good, but you put an England shirt on Fat Frank and he turns into a todays version of John Barnes. Great at the club but horrible for the country.

Rooney better hold on to his form for a long time because we are going to need it. I also was on a high note 6 months ago and are trying to downgrade my expectation level so I won't turn into too much of a grumpy old man in the summer.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

timmyg

Don, you also forgot to mention Theo Walcott. I'd prefer Bornstein over him.

Everyone is focusing on the england game, but really the big ones are against slovenia and algeria. The US has shown it's not very capable of breaking down tidy, organized teams and that's exactly what slovenia and algeria -- when they aren't getting into fights -- are.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

YankeeJim

I am not optimistic about US changes in this years cup. Too many injuries. Our strength is the back line. We currently have two journeyman CB of which one is and has been in the Fizzy pop league and has not gotten a look by anyone in the top tier and Boco who you gotta love....but not for his defensive power. One fullback is a solid squad player that can't stay first choice at West Hamm  & the other is just pityful. Against the Dutch he had an own goal and a penalty.

All that and a coach who makes the aforementioned pityfull fullback look good. Guess you English will have to provide the entertainment.  :'(
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

clintclintdeuce

DeMerit has been looked at by numerous sides, but his pride and sense of determination and loyalty will not let him leave Watford.

There was about 5-7 players out that will make the roster in my humble opinion. I hope to see Benny Feilhaber back in the mix, but he may be out beyond the no return point. Dempsey, Clark, Cherundolo, and Onyewu will all be back. Holden and Davies will be suspect, but the former has a good chance at getting back. The re-emergence of Edu is very important here as well, competition in the center of the pitch is going to be tremendous.

If there is any way we can start the side that beat Spain throughout the tournament, we have as good of shot as any as progressing through the tournament, and getting a result against England.....

I like this side if its not possible
Howard
Spector DeMerit Gooch Cherundolo/Boca
Holden Edu Bradley Donovan
Dempsey
Altidore
The Dude abides.

YankeeJim

If we can filed that crew & their all fit, those Redcoats are going to be surprised as they were at Concord Bridge.
;D

Tom

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on March 06, 2010, 10:28:48 AM
DeMerit has been looked at by numerous sides, but his pride and sense of determination and loyalty will not let him leave Watford.

There was about 5-7 players out that will make the roster in my humble opinion. I hope to see Benny Feilhaber back in the mix, but he may be out beyond the no return point. Dempsey, Clark, Cherundolo, and Onyewu will all be back. Holden and Davies will be suspect, but the former has a good chance at getting back. The re-emergence of Edu is very important here as well, competition in the center of the pitch is going to be tremendous.

If there is any way we can start the side that beat Spain throughout the tournament, we have as good of shot as any as progressing through the tournament, and getting a result against England.....

Howard
Dempsey
Altidore

I like that lineup CCD!
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

Quote from: Tom on March 07, 2010, 04:14:42 AM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on March 06, 2010, 10:28:48 AM

Howard
Dempsey
Altidore

I like that lineup CCD!

So do I, CCD. However, if you're going to have Cherundolo and Spector on the pitch at the same time, you'll want Spector at LB where he's been getting a lot of time with The Cheats recently. 'dolo came off the bench this past weekend for Hannover96 -- the first time he's been healthy enough to suit up for a long time. If he's in top nick come WC2010, he'll be our best defensive player, bar none.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

If Dolo comes back strong we should be ok. If both he & Gooch come back, we might be able to last a while if we can figure out who's gonna score & we keep Borenstein off the pitch.

But as that great Texas beater, Bud Wilkinson use to say, "if they can't score, they can't beat you".  :53: