more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- Wolverhampton Wanderes v. Fulham

Started by HatterDon, August 22, 2011, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

A Tale of Two Opinions

Regardless of how long after the match I do my "View," I always wait until AFTER I post the report before I read any match reviews or any of the match-related threads on any Fulham site. And such was the case with the Villa season home opener. After my article went up, I noticed that mine was not the prevailing opinion. Where I had seen the defense weakened at RB and CB by moving Aaron Hughes to the touchline, and where I had seen JA Riise not yet connected with the rest of his teammates, the majority of reviewers and commentors had our failure to secure three points against a pretty toothless Villa down to brilliant goalkeeping and a series of unfortunate incidents.

Well, I must say that this FIRST opinion was only reinforced today. With Richard Stearman – a relatively immobile centre half playing out of position at right back, I expected to see Riise Major bombarding the left wing and turning him inside out for a good portion of the 90 minutes. I believe I actually saw it three times. During the 20% of the match he played on the left, Duff troubled Stearman more than any other player in white did for the other 80%. As for Hughes at right back, there are two things that a wing player must do in crossing the ball. (1) He must deliver the ball early; (2) He must deliver the ball crisply. These two arrows do not reside in Hughes's quiver. Each time the ball came to him in an attacking position, he delayed and then hit a soft looping cross that Hennessey – who still hasn't convinced me he's a Premier League keeper -- put away easily. On Wolves' first goal, Hughes was so outstripped on defense that the right side of our goal was defended by Kasami and Riise. Well, by Riise with Kasami in his way. And more on that later.

The SECOND opinion of mine was voice after the Dniepro match that Kasami might be ready to make his mark in the Premier League. Well, for the first 30 seconds of the match, he certainly looked the part. Thereafter, he looked horribly outmatched. I have no doubt that he has the skill set and physique to play in the Prem, but he didn't show the pace, the vision, nor the discipline today – and Wolves are NOT Man City, Arsenal, or United. I just hope that he takes the 45 minutes he spent being the Sunday roast only spurs him on to work harder, and that we'll see him turning in some good shifts down the road.

In an effort to put some spine in the Fulham resistance, Jol mercifully subbed out Kasami in favor of Dembëlë., and took off Etuhu – who was FAR from the least productive player in white – in favor of Sidwell. The latter "announced his presence with authority" almost immediately, but spent the rest of the second half joining the "which player in white can surrender possession the most" competition. The clear winner of that contest was, strangely enough, Brede Hangeland.

The high points of the first half were mostly down to Our Late President and Mr. Duff. The woeful second half performance was relieved only by the sight of the world's scariest wing player – Phillippe Senderos – haring down the right wing and delivering a bullet of a cross off a defender leading to the first of two corners that I tried unsuccessfully to fool myself into thinking that we might still get something of the match.

It can be argued that going into the clubhouse at halftime down 2-0 was a bit unfair, that we were caught cold by two quick goals as the half was dying down. It could be, but I'm not going to make that argument. There was no man of the match performance for me today. Schwarzer's ill-advised attempt to clear a ball he couldn't possibly get to resulted in the second goal and was a fair representation of Wolves' dominance. It's time to take that bad name away from the dog. The fact is that Wolves played the more attractive, the more consistent, and the more effective football on the day.  The team in Old Gold passed the ball about nicely and, in Fletcher, Doyle, Hunt, and Jarvis, they had the four most creative performers.

By contrast, Fulham were singularly incapable of maintaining flow. The quick passing that we have become to be known for was consistently slowed down in the first half by Kasami and in the second by Dembëlë. Dempsey? Well, saying that today was his worst performance in a Fulham shirt, or saying that it appeared like a chimera had taken over the #23 today doesn't express just how poorly he played. In my opinion – and remember I'm a Texan – if today had been Dempsey's first match for Fulham, he might be waiting two or three months before his second.

Finally, I risk being called negative and unfair, but what the heck is up with Jol? Why was an unfit Belgian the only attacker on the bench? Why was Zamora – who could easily have made the difference for us – sitting sullenly in the stands? The announcers made it sound as if his absence had not a lot to do with fitness. Really? After a slow start, we go into a park where we have a chance to get a result and our only striker in town is AJ? I still don't understand how the man thinks and what sort of football he wants us to play. And everything I saw this morning [here in South Texas] just confused me more.

Sort it out, QUICKLY.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Bobby was injured, Jol confirmed it post-match. He's also doubtful for the Dnipro tie.

MrFantastic

here is why Fulham lost they played dinporo on Thursday while wolfes had an easy practice that day simple explanation no need to get all worked up yet but it is true we don't have players to replace our main players to rest them after midweek games.
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

Lighthouse

I can only say that Murphy should have been taken off instead of Etuhu who had his best game FOR SOME TIME. Not great but was pulling the odd string. Swart made a mistake for the second goal by coming out and missing (his words). But long balls to AJ and poor awful passing from the back, awful shape to the midfield meant we were never going to score. Duff missing our best chances or only chances. I cannot remember a poorer team display by Fulham FOR YEARS.

I now reserve the right to panic without asking permission.

9 days before we are stuck with this squad. Although the squad are now weaker than it has been for years, that doesn't seem to be our only problem.

Sorry HD but as usual your excellent report reminded me of how far we have fallen in performance terms since last season. Even the West Ham Boxing day debacle. Hope I am over reacting.

If we are using the Europa games as an excuse as some do then I was right all along.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

Good report Hatter. I agree with all of it. Interesting point is, after 3 successful seasons, we expect Fulham to do MUCH better. Top half team? Yes, but everyone is angry because a/ the players threw in the towel today and b/ first impressions of the team under Jol are NOT GOOD.  (but that happened with RH, MH and probably many more).
I think he might prove to be too soft. I hope not.

Snibbo

Thanks HD. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I loved the sight of Senderos steaming down the right wing like a turbo-charged rhinoceros.  I like him, and it needs to be said he has been consistently good for us this season, so it would be unfair to drop him. Based on yesterday's performance, Hangeland would be for the chop, but we'll put it down to a virus or an off-day or something.

Hughe's crosses were woeful.

As for the consistent Etuhu bashing / Sidwell canonisation calls - they must be blind if they didn't see a very good first half from Dickson and a mostly anonymous second half from Sidders. Why Dickson was taken off is a mystery. If anyone was to come off, it should have been Murph. They hate him up there, and it seems to rattle him.

AlFayedsChequebook

Don,

I always enjoy your match reports, even when we disagree (and I think we are on different sides of the Jol parapet)

I think you are pretty spot on here. I dont think this was a performance that was created by playing Etuhu or Hughes at RB, although the latter did not help, this was just a really poor performance. If Schwarzers comments on Twitter are anything to go by, the team is pretty disgusted with itself.

I really hope that BZ was injured (not often you hear that) because it showed how weak we are at striker. I wanted to bring another striker on for AJ (he was pants) but we had no-one. AJ is pretty much getting games by default.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 22, 2011, 12:40:22 AM
I can only say that Murphy should have been taken off instead of Etuhu who had his best game FOR SOME TIME. Not great but was pulling the odd string. Swart made a mistake for the second goal by coming out and missing (his words). But long balls to AJ and poor awful passing from the back, awful shape to the midfield meant we were never going to score. Duff missing our best chances or only chances. I cannot remember a poorer team display by Fulham FOR YEARS.

I now reserve the right to panic without asking permission.

9 days before we are stuck with this squad. Although the squad are now weaker than it has been for years, that doesn't seem to be our only problem.

Sorry HD but as usual your excellent report reminded me of how far we have fallen in performance terms since last season. Even the West Ham Boxing day debacle. Hope I am over reacting.

If we are using the Europa games as an excuse as some do then I was right all along.

I think this squad is incredibly strong at all positions but striker. If we get some replacements in before the transfer window slams shut - we will be fine.

To say the West Ham boxing day massacre was worse than this is a massive overreaction - we did not just lose 1-3 at home to the worst team in the league in a must win game.

TheDaddy

Thanks for the report HD,

ive calmed down enough to read reports i was a little livid yesterday just enough to get home at half past one in the morning unable to work the electric intercom the misses had to come down to let me in . Not a very happy lady ! and boy the hangover this morning finished around 10 this evening... fp.gif
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Jacob

HD, I agree with just about everything you said. They continuously harassed Hughes all game. Apparently, Wolves know we need an out and out RB too. OR.....why was Baird not on the bench. A half time sub of Hughes (unfortunately for him) and bring on Baird at RB where he has proven he can play. The game might have been a bit different.

Lets call it a bad day at the office, hopefully come away from Dinpro without injuries, and go give Newcastle all we've got.

OldBrownShoe

If I am not much mistaken Jol has had a pretty unpromising start to his seasons at all his clubs but has soon turned things around.

Mrs Shoe's brother-in-law is a lifelong Wolves supporter and season ticket holder and went to this match. Whilst he was chuffed to get an easy three points he was concerned because his team normally lose to the Premiership's driftwood and beat or draw with the better teams!

That said he was rather unimpressed with our impoverished performance. Once he found our attack was being led by AJ he knew that we had no chance. Surely, he asked, we have other forwards/strikers in our squad?  Well not obviously actually. He further commented that our team looks old and slow and disinterested.

I shall be interested to see how Jol tinkers with our rather small squad for Thursday's long trip to the Ukraine and then Newcastle a few days later. 

It's way too early to get on the manager's back or indeed the team.

Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again