https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (28/08/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 28, 2011, 07:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Up next: Newcastle (a)
by DAN on AUGUST 27, 2011

Alan Pardew seems to making a habit of defying the doomsday predictions at the moment. Working under Mike Ashley can't be easy, especially when he seems intent on ripping the heart out of your side. Joey Barton's move to QPR meant the troubled midfielder – or 'loveable rogue' if you agree with Neil Warnock – joined Jose Enrique and Kevin Nolan in leaving Tyneside for pastures new early in the season. But Pardew seems unruffled by the all fuss. Given the boardroom shenanigans and uncertainty, Pardew's side have made a fine start to the season. The draw with Arsenal, which saw the media focus more on the Gunners' shortcomings than an impressive display by the Magpies, was followed by a victory at Sunderland and Newcastle will head into tomorrow's fixture confident of picking up another three points.

Pardew also seems to have unearthed a diamond to bolster Newcastle's midfield. Yohan Cabaye has slotted seamlessly into the Magpies side and will certainly pose a real threat to Fulham's hopes of kickstarting their season on Sunday. Not only is he a tireless worker, but the Frenchman is technically gifted, with a terrific first touch and an eye for a pass. He's also not averse to making a tackle and already looks to have formed a strong central midfield partnership with Cheick Tiote, who had such a superb first season in English football last year. The talented Dan Gosling may well play at the point of Pardew's midfield diamond, while Gabriel Obertan and Jonas Gutierrez should start out wide supplying the ammunition for Newcastle's strikers. Pardew has a decision to make up front – if he sticks with the 4-2-3-1 formation he'll have to choice between Demba Ba, Shola Ameobi and Leon Best. Ameobi's younger brother, Sammy, who scored the winner in a pulsating League Cup tie at Glanford Park on Thursday might get another chance to shine too.

By contrast, Fulham's start to the new campaign can only be described as jittery. They flattered to deceive on the opening day against Aston Villa, even if Shay Given produced a few fine saves to deny Bobby Zamora. Without the talismanic front man, Martin Jol's side struggled to make any sort of impression on Wolves, slipping to a poor defeat at Molineux. They were few positives signs from a patchy performance in Dnipro on Thursday, either, and the Whites will struggle to continue their – comparatively – excellent record at St. James' Park should Zamora not be fit.

Jol would obviously contest Pardew's interesting assertion that Newcastle had the tougher midweek fixture, but he has been moved to admit that Fulham need a result tomorrow. In urging his players to produce more going forward, Jol recognises that his side haven't exactly fulfilled his pre-season pledge to play flowing football, but lack of goals has been a problem Fulham sides have been wrestling with for some time now. The far more worrying concern is at the other end of the pitch. Gone is the defensive assurance that characterised Fulham's fine past three seasons, replaced with a nervousness that might have been caused by the breaking up of the Hangeland-Hughes partnership at the heart of the defence. Philippe Senderos has yet to put a foot wrong in his brief Fulham career, but the defence looks a lot more comfortable with Chris Baird at right back.

Injuries have depleted an already small squad, especially with the number of players who have left the Cottage over the summer. Such is the lack of depth that Jol was forced to field his strongest side to protect the 3-0 aggregate lead in Ukraine on Thursday. Given the disjointed display that followed, it was a good thing he did – because without the composure of the likes of Aaron Hughes, Fulham wouldn't have the group stages of the competition to look forward to. With John Arne Riise likely to miss out, Matthew Briggs will probably get an opportunity to build on his strong start to the campaign at left back, whilst the likes of Moussa Dembele and Andy Johnson will need to compensate for the loss of Zamora far better than they managed on Thursday.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Baird, Briggs, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu, Murphy, Dempsey, Duff; Dembele, Johnson. Subs: Etheridge, Kelly, Senderos, Gecov, Sidwell, Frei, Kasami.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/up-next-newcastle-a/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol moves for Palace's teenage sensation Zaha

Martin Jol wants Crystal Palace's £2.5million-rated Wilfried Zaha, 18, to freshen the oldest squad in the Premier League.

The Fulham boss made his move after Zaha's match-winning brace against Crawley Town in the Carling Cup last Tuesday night.

Young blood: Fulham target Wilfried Zaha

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2030884/Fulham-boss-Jol-moves-Palaces-teenage-sensation-Zaha.html#ixzz1WIu4zi2N

WhiteJC

Leeds consider Kelly loan

Leeds are interested in taking Fulham full-back Stephen Kelly on loan, according to the Sunday Times.

Simon Grayson is keen to supplement his defensive resources as he bids to guide Leeds to the Premier League and sees the Republic of Ireland right back as an ideal signing. Kelly has previously hinted that he would be open to leaving Craven Cottage should he find first-team opportunities difficult to come by.

The former Tottenham and Birmingham full-back has made just two appearances under Martin Jol. He played in the goalless draw in Runavik back in early July and was impressive in Fulham's 3-0 dismantling of Dnipro that set up their qualification for the Europa League group stages. Kelly played a key role in Fulham's run to the Europa League final in 2009/10, operating on either side of the defence, and Jol may wish to retain him as full-back cover.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/leeds-consider-kelly-loan/?

WhiteJC

Fulham fighting to keep hold of Dempsey

The Sunday People suggests that Fulham will face a fight to hang onto Clint Dempsey, with both Paris Saint-Germain and Aston Villa interesting in signing the American midfielder.

Martin Jol is determined to retain Dempsey beyond the summer transfer window and went as far as to hold talks with the 28 year-old at the start of his Craven Cottage reign. The Texan has made little secret of his desire to eventually play Champions' League football and test himself on the continent, but Fulham are hoping they can convince him to extend his five year in west London.

PSG are looking to make an assault on the French title this season and, backed by Qatari investors, have already made approaches for Dimitar Berbatov and Adel Taarabt this summer. The French giants are expected to tempt Fulham with an £8m offer Aston Villa are also rumoured to be interested in Dempsey, although Alex McLeish has yet to make a firm bid.

The People piece also suggests Fulham are interested in signing Oldham striker David Mellor.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/fulham-fighting-to-keep-hold-of-dempsey/?

WhiteJC

Jol desperate to deliver for Al Fayed
by DAN on AUGUST 28, 2011

Martin Jol wants to repay Mohamed Al-Fayed's faith in his managerial ability by overcoming a tough start at Fulham.

The Dutchman gives an insight into the Fulham chairman's character in an exclusive interview with the Sunday Mirror:

He is a lovely man. He gives everyone a bracelet of copper. After a while you get a rash, it means the copper is ­going to your blood – it's ­supposed to be good for you.

He also has a little tool, which measures the ­radiation in a room. If he thinks there is too much radiation from phones, a TV or anything else, these things have to go.

You only have to look around you, to see what a beautiful club he has ­created. When I signed for ­Fulham, he just said to me: 'Martin, here are the keys, call me if you need anything'.

Jol himself relies the support of his two trusted lieutenants.

I've two guys, who I have been ­taking with me to every club the last few years. My fitness coach Michael Lindeman, and my brother, Cock.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/jol-desperate-to-deliver-for-al-fayed/?

WhiteJC

A goal is the goal for Fulham

Fulham have yet to win or score in the league this season and manager Martin Jol knows that they need to address those issues before it turns into a more serious problem.

"We have to do better," the Dutchman said ahead of Sunday's trip to St James' Park to face Newcastle United. "We have to play to our strengths, and of course we could say we have got a lot of defensive qualities.

"The second half against Aston Villa [a 0-0 draw] and Wolves [a 2-0 defeat] showed we are capable of scoring goals.

"But you have to do the business - score the goals and get the results. If you don't do that, you play for a 0-0."

Jol saw a bid for Birmingham City striker Cameron Jerome turned down earlier in the transfer window. Fulham also has been linked with a move for West Ham's Carlton Cole.

The Senegal international, Papiss Demba Cisse, is reportedly one of Fulham's main targets.

While Jol admits he would like to bring in an attacker before the Wednesday deadline, he also wants to bolster the squad in other areas.

"It is not only about strikers," he said. "Nine players left the club and there will probably be one or two leaving the club [by the end of the window].

He said Fulham were "very close" to some signings "but it is always the same, you know. If you want a good player there are always other clubs involved so you have to wait and see".

In today's other game, West Bromwich Albion host Stoke City and it is a chance for the manager Roy Hodgson to pair Peter Odemwingie, last season's top scorer, with the new signing, Shane Long, for the first time up front.

Said Hodgson: "It's a partnership that excites fans and excites us. But Peter has spent a long period of time injured, so they haven't really worked together well so far."

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/a-goal-is-the-goal-for-fulham?

WhiteJC

ALAN PARDEW ISSUES ALERT

ALAN PARDEW believes Steve Sidwell's best years are still ahead of him – and admits he would have loved to have taken the ­midfielder to Tyneside.

Fulham swooped to land the former Chelsea man on the cheap from Aston Villa in January.

But Pardew, who gave Sidwell his big break when he signed him for Reading as a youngster from Arsenal in 2003, is frustrated he missed the chance to snap him up for a second time.

And he believes his side will have to stop the midfielder ­dictating the play for Fulham if they are to get anything when the two sides meet at St James' Park today.

Pardew (right) had only been in the Toon job a month when Sidwell, 28, was captured by ex-Cottagers boss Mark Hughes.

And he said: "I would have looked to have brought Steve here. I think he has qualities that would be good here.

"I think Fulham were ­fortunate to get him on the deal they did – a fantastic bargain.

"He was absolutely brilliant for me at Reading and I think he can still have some big seasons ahead of him.''

Pardew insists Jol, sacked by Tottenham in 2007 after leading them to a fifth-place Premier League finish two seasons running, will be a Dutch ­master at Fulham.

He said: "I don't think he has anything to prove – he was in charge at Spurs and Ajax and they're big, big clubs.

"He's trying to change Fulham's style and I admire that. They've played quite a simplistic game and he's trying to evolve that and it's not easy.

"But he'll master it and they'll be ­better for it.''

Meanwhile, Newcastle keeper Tim Krul has backed Manchester United's David de Gea to win over the doubters with the protection of boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

De Gea, 20, has endured a torrid time since joining United from Atletico Madrid in an £18million summer deal.

The Spanish Under-21 keeper has been blamed for all three goals he has conceded.

But De Gea kept a clean sheet in United's 3-0 home win against Tottenham and Krul says patience is the key.

The Dutch stopper, 23, reckons his ­five-year ­learning curve at Newcastle has been easier than being thrown in at the deep end like De Gea.

But Krul, who justified his ­current billing as Newcastle's No.1 with a superb display in their 2-1 Carling Cup extra-time win at Scunthorpe on Thursday, said: "De Gea has succeeded Edwin van der Sar, who was my idol.

"To play against him in his last season was special.

"I got his shirt and gloves from that game and they get a special place in my house.

"Patience is the thing for De Gea. He has fantastic quality and I think Sir Alex has given him confidence by ­keeping him in the team. I think he will be all right, definitely.''

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/208242/Alan-Pardew-issues-alert/?

WhiteJC

Fulham face battle to keep hold of Dempsey

Fulham are facing a late fight to keep hold of US star Clint Dempsey.

French moneybags Paris St Germain are considering an £8million bid before deadline day – while Aston Villa would also love to sign him.

Dempsey, 28, held talks with boss Martin Jol at the start of the season and made it clear he harbours ambitions of playing for a Champions League club before hanging up his boots.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Fulham-battle-to-keep-Clint-Dempsey-Aston-Villa-Paris-St-Germain-article792008.html#ixzz1WIwDp2DT

WhiteJC

Fulham face a tough time to hold on to Clint Dempsey - Exclusive

FULHAM are facing a late fight to keep hold of US star Clint Dempsey.

French moneybags Paris St Germain are considering an £8million bid before deadline day – while Aston Villa would also love to sign him.

Dempsey, 28, held talks with boss Martin Jol at the start of the season and made it clear he harbours ambitions of playing for a Champions League club before hanging up his boots. He is happy at Fulham, but if the forward got a chance to test ­himself at a bigger club, he would jump at it.

PSG are in the Europa League this term, but are funded by rich Qataris who have ­already looked into bids for Dimitar Berbatov and Adel Taarabt this summer. The club have managed to sign the likes of Mohamed Sissoko, Kevin Gameiro and Blaise Matuidi though, and are expected to challenge for the French title.

Joining PSG would be an intriguing challenge for ­Dempsey, but Jol wants him to stay in West ­London and if a bid does arrive he hopes to talk him out of it.

Villa are also keen as they aim to bring in another creative figure, but boss Alex McLeish (left)hasn't made a firm move.

Jol sees Dempsey as one of his key players along with Moussa Dembele and Bobby Zamora – and aims to build his team around the trio.

One man who could be allowed to leave, however, is Chris Baird.

He has been out of favour since Jol arrived, and now Roy Hodgson is showing interest in taking the defender, 29, to the Hawthorns.

The West Brom chief managed him at Craven Cottage and is looking into the possibility of doing a deal for the Northern Ireland international.

Maturity

Meanwhile, Dutchman Jol is ready to snap up young Oldham hot-shot David Mellor – by making a bargain raid on the League One Latics.

Jol's spies are on the trail of teenager Mellor, who has been a ­goalscorer in Paul Dickov's first-team and has impressed watching scouts with his strength and ­maturity.

The Cottagers think they may have spotted a special talent and want to do a deal for the 19-year-old fast, before his price goes up or rival – and bigger – clubs step in for him.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/08/28/fulham-face-a-tough-time-to-hold-on-to-clint-dempsey-exclusive-102039-23376679/

WhiteJC

Papiss Cisse emerges as transfer target for Fulham and Newcastle

Fulham and Newcastle United are set to battle it out for the signature of Freiburg striker Papiss Cisse in the closing days of the transfer window.

The Senegal international has attracted interest from teams across Europe since scoring 22 Bundesliga goals last season and his club have given him a £13million price tag.

Freiburg officials have revealed that three sides have already made offers for the 26-year-old and one of them is believed to be Fulham.

They expect interest in Cisse to grow in the next few days and, according to German magazine Kicker, Newcastle are among the clubs set to lodge a bid.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew is known to be keen to sign a striker, but it was thought his top target was Sochaux's Mali international Modibo Maiga.

Meanwhile, Fulham are also set to step up their interest in FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli.

The Cottagers have had a £4.3 million bid for the 21-year-old winger rejected, but reports in the Netherlands suggest they are preparing an improved offer for the Belgium international.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/873660-papiss-cisse-emerges-as-transfer-target-for-fulham-and-newcastle#ixzz1WIx0BCvl

WhiteJC

Alan Pardew wants Fulham's Steve Sidwell

FULHAM midfielder Steve Sidwell faces Newcastle at St James' Park this lunchtime, knowing he could easily have been a Toon player – on TWO occasions.

Glenn Roeder had Sidwell all lined up to head for Tyneside from Reading in 2007, but was then sacked.

And current United boss Alan Pardew, who signed Sidwell for the Royals, reveals: "I would have looked to have brought Steve here. I think he has qualities that would be good to have at this club.

"Steve's a good player and I think Fulham were fortunate to get him on the deal they did – he was a free, a fantastic bargain back in January.

"I think he was part of a situation that was out of his control at Villa. He was absolutely brilliant for me at Reading and I think he can still have some big seasons ahead of him.''

Pardew will clash swords with his old foe Martin Jol, neither of them probably realising that Fulham have had the Indian sign over Newcastle in recent seasons.

Pardew says: "I don't think Martin Jol has anything to prove now he is back in the Premier League.

"He was in charge at Tottenham and Ajax and they're big, big clubs.

"Martin knows how to manage a club. He's trying to change Fulham's style and I admire that. They've played quite a simplistic game and he's trying to evolve that – and it's not easy. But he'll master it and they'll be better for it.''

Pardew is delighted at the manner in which the Magpies have begun with two wins and a draw, saying: "We have had a great start and I think the players have proved they are committed to Newcastle."

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/08/28/alan-pardew-wants-fulham-s-steve-sidwell-102039-23377346/

WhiteJC

Shamone! Newcastle United v Fulham match preview

Venue: St James Park, Newcastle
Date: Sunday, 28th August
Kick-off: 1:00PM
Referee: Kevin Friend

Just two days after Thursday nights action at Glanford Park, Sunday afternoon sees a return to Premier League action as Martin Jol's Fulham visit St James' Park.

There is no scheduled live broadcast of the match, so it's back to scouring the net for links I'm afraid. Pop back over for our match banter on Sunday and I'm sure the you'll be able to find a link. If indeed you find a decent link for the match yourself, feel free to share the knowledge. Sharing is caring after all...

Newcastle have began the season well after holding Arsenal to a draw at home in the first game of the season and defeating the enemy in their own backyard last week. United currently have 4 points from their first 2 matches and haven't conceded a goal as yet. Fulham began the season with a 0-0 draw at home to Aston Villa, followed by a 2-0 defeat last week at Mick McCarthey's ever improving Wolverhampton Wanderers. Like Newcastle, Fulham were in action on Thursday night as they were in the Ukraine for their 2nd leg match in the Europa League against Dinipro. Fulham were defeated 1-0 on the night but still progressed to the next round after winning 3-1 on aggregate.

Newcastle have failed to beat Fulham in their last 3 attempts, with the last visit of the Cottages to St James' Park ending in a dull 0-0 draw. You may remember the fateful relegation season in 2009, when Fulham prospered 1-0 at Newcastle in what was our last home game of that season. The writing was on the wall after that defeat as United's next game was at Villa Park where ex-Magpie, current Fulham winger and Barney Gumble lookalike Damien Duff deflected through his own net resulting in a 1-0 loss for the Magpies and relegation to the Championship.

I remember being over in Australia when I got the news that Newcastle had lost their last home game of that particular season. I was sure Newcastle would beat Fulham at home and survive the drop, but fate had other ideas and it wasn't to be. That match also saw a perfectly good Mark Viduka goal chalked off and Sebastien Bassong receive his marching orders for a professional foul.

We have to go back to the 2007-2008 season for our last win against Fulham, when a Kevin Keegan inspired Newcastle triumphed 2-0 thanks to goals from Mark Viduka and Michael Owen (remember them?). This win was in fact Keegan's first victory as Magpies boss since Mike Ashley appointed him manager, after sacking the worlds greatest tactician and gods gift to women, Sam Allardyce.

Squads
Newcastle United: (from) Krul, Sodeberg, Simpson, R. Taylor, Ferguson, Coloccini, S. Taylor, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez, Marveaux, Obertan, Gosling, Smith, Abeid, Ba, Shola Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Best, Vuckic, Sammy Ameobi.

Fulham: (from) Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Dembele, Zamora.

Team News
Mike Williamson joins Hatem Ben Arfa and Danny Guthrie on the injured list. James Tavernier, Michael Richardson, Xisco, Kazenga Lua Lua, Fraser Forster and Phil Airey are unavailable due to being away on loan. Expect Cheick Tiote and Jonas to be reinstated into the match day eleven with Yohan Cabaye keeping his place in the heart of the midfield. Shola Ameobi is rated doubtful as (shock horror) he is suffering from a hip problem and Steve Harper is unlikely to return to where he has spent the majority of his Newcastle career (the bench) as he is struggling with a 'knee injury'.

Fulham's John Arne Riise won't feature after picking up a groin injury while in the Ukraine on Thursday Night. Simon Davies is on the long term injury list for the cottagers as he is suffering from a serious knee injury and Bobby Zamora is rated doubtful for the match.

Formation suggestions and tactical information

I think Pardew should keep faith with the 4-2-3-1 formation, which he has employed in our last two matches at Scunthorpe and the dark place. I do however think he will swap to a 4-4-2, mainly because we are at home and Pardew may try to mimic Fulham's formation, which could be a 4-4-2. It wouldn't surprise me though, if Fulham employed a 4-5-1 / 4-4-3 with Johnson as the lone man up top with Demble and Duff as his support. Johnson isn't really a hold up player and this is where Fulham will struggle if Zamora is deemed unfit to play, so expect Fulham to keep the ball on the deck, though they will still provide a challenge from set-pieces as they do posses some big players who are able to cause trouble in the air.

As Shola is unfit and unlikely to start, I have gone for Leon Best up top as I don't think all is well with Demba Ba at present. I was at the match in Scunthorpe on Thursday night and Ba didn't look too clever, though it's early days yet and I'm sure he'll provide to be a nifty acquisition for the Magpies. Best holds the ball up top quite well, and I think he will be better suited to bring the midfielders into the game, such as Gosling, who I'd like to see as the advanced midfielder.

Yohan Cabaye was given the advanced role in the match at Sunderland but failed to make an impression as he is best suited alongside Tiote, sitting slightly deeper and helping dictate the play like we saw in the 2nd half at Scunthorpe. Marveaux really impressed me, but I think Obertan should get the nod because he is well rested and Marveaux has only just returned to fitness.

I expect a better performance from Dan Gosling on Sunday and I'd like to see Vuckic given a run out at some point. Newcastle must be prepared for this game from the off. Regardless of our results this season thus far, our first half performances have been a shambles. They have got to stop this nonsense of punting the ball aimlessly up field and just take their time and pass the ball short and neat. As we lack any real goal threat from our strikers, we should utilise the midfielders we have. Failing all of the above, we could just keep relying on Ryan Taylor to score free-kicks, though that's hardly ideal is it?

Key Man Newcastle
Yohan Cabaye
Hopefully Yohan can get settled quickly in the match and distribute sensible balls through to the attack. I've got a feeling he will play an important role on Sunday.

Key man Fulham
Danny Murphy

As you can see, I think this match will be decided between the two play makers and how they perform. Murphy is an excellent player and we must be aware of his vision and set piece abilities.

Match Thoughts and waffle

As rare as not finding a gherkin in your McDonalds Big Mac, Alan Pardew has conducted an interview in which he discusses our up and coming opponents Fulham, where he has had this to say:
"Things were buoyant yesterday – we are looking forward to the game.

"We will not be able to do much work – most of it will be looking at the opposition in the classroom – but we will be fine.
"It is very important not to concede goals.

"We will get more creative and flamboyant as we go on, but the first priority is to stop goals going in.

"That is something I have always prided myself on, and I think we are doing that.

"We were very resolute defensively in our first two league games, and hopefully we can continue that against Fulham.

"Fulham have played a quite simplistic game in the past, but Martin Jol's looking to change that, and full credit to him. He is a very good manager, as he showed at Tottenham.

"There is a lot of experience there. They will play intelligent football."
In relation to to Mike Williamson's injury, Pardew said:
"It does not look good for Mike, maybe five or six weeks out.

"James Perch will train on Monday, and he can play centre-half."

Lets hope for no further injuries come Sunday afternoon, especially in the defensive positions as the thought of James Perch playing at centre back is somewhat frightening...

Expect a tough game tomorrow and don't expect buckets of goals. Unfortunately I can see Fulham scoring, though I expect that this one may end in a draw or possibly a narrow win, hopefully for the Magpies of course!

Howay The Lads.

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/08/newcastle-united-v-fulham-match-preview/?

WhiteJC

Squad sheets: Newcastle United v Fulham

When Martin Jol resigned as Ajax manager on the day, last December, that Newcastle sacked Chris Hughton, the easy assumption was that the Dutchman was Tyneside bound. Not for the first time, two and two failed to quite add up and instead, Alan Pardew moved north-east leaving Jol, eventually, to join Fulham. While Pardew trusts Fulham will be tired by their long Europa League trip to Ukrainian side Dnipro on Thursday night, his strikers will have to find a way beyond Aaron Hughes, Jol's former Newcastle centre-half. The promising Haris Vuckic and Sammy Ameobi will be hoping to make Pardew's side. Louise Taylor

Venue St James' Park, Sunday 1pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Newcastle 0 Fulham 0

Referee Kevin Friend

This season's matches 2 Y8, R0, 4.00 cards per game

Odds Newcastle 11-10 Fulham 3-1 Draw 12-5

Newcastle United v Fulham: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Photograph: Graphic

Newcastle United

Subs from Soderberg, Ferguson, Ba, Gosling, Abeid, Vuckic, Best, Perch, Lovenkrands, Sammy Ameobi, Guthrie

Doubtful Shola Ameobi (hip)

Injured Harper (knee, 12 Sep), Ben Arfa (ankle, Oct), Williamson (ankle, Oct)

Suspended None

Form guide WD

Disciplinary record Y6 R0

Leading scorer R Taylor1

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Somogyi, Kelly, Sidwell, Baird, Kasami, Gecov, Frei, Kacaniklic, Dembélé, Halliche

Doubtful Zamora (ankle)

Injured BH Riise (hamstring, 11 Sep), Davies (knee, Nov), Kamara (back, unknown), JA Riise (leg, unknown)

Suspended None

Form guide LD

Disciplinary record Y4 R0

Leading scorer n/a

Match pointers

• Newcastle have failed to score in their last three Premier League matches against Fulham

• 64% of the goals Fulham have conceded since the start of last season have come in their first half of matches

• Newcastle have the lowest passing accuracy (67%) of any side in the top flight so far this season

• If Fulham lose it will be their 100th all-time away defeat in the Premier League

• Steven Taylor has made more defensive blocks (six) than any other player in the top flight in 2011-12

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/26/squad-sheets-newcastle-united-fulham

WhiteJC

Newcastle United vs Fulham Match Preview

Newcastle United will begin life without Joey Barton when they play host Fulham on Sunday.

Newcastle will be looking to continue their unbeaten start, while Fulham are seeking their first Premier League win of the season.

Dan Gosling and Sylvain Marveaux are in the running to replace Barton n central midfield.

Hatem Ben Arfa, Steve Harper and Mike Williamson are ruled out for Newcastle, while Shola Ameobi is an injury doubt.

John Arne Riise and Simon Davies are both ruled out with injury for Fulham.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/214007/newcastle-united-vs-fulham/_preview?