News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Every position is filled...well apart from...

Started by zzamora, September 01, 2011, 11:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzamora

A creative Danny Murphy midfielder.

Now our Number 1 transfer object for Jan/Next Summer.

Andy_M

Totally 100% agree, I said from the start of the summer than Murphy's legs are well and truely failing him as at the end of last season he was substituted in the majority of the games as he was clearly well off the pace in the last 20 minutes. (Or if he wasn't substituted it was clear to me and everyone sitting around me that he needed to be)

I still feel we should have gone in for Scott Parker, but that's done now. Definitely feel that the scouting network needs to be out there finding us the next Danny - and not someone who is 19/20 and will be the next Danny in a few years but someone who could walk into our team tomorrow and do the same job as Danny does.

Get the scouts out there and lets not get pipped to decent players by clubs equal to/worse than us. (Still find it hard to believe that if Santon was going for £5 million that we weren't even interested, he's only 20 and a cracking player, Newcastle have pulled off a blinder there)
@got_maile

elgreenio

should be our top priority next summer. Thought Kasami may have been that player but looks like he plays up the field (not to mention from what I saw at Newcastle he isn't ready for the prem). At least we have the perfect partners in Etuhu and Sidwell who will do Murphy's running
touch my camera through the fence

TonyGilroy

I think we'll struggle to find a Murphy-a-like. He's a very old fashioned type of playmaker and without him we'll need to learn to play differently.

The 4-2-3-1 that people are, correctly IMO, thinking we'll adopt may not actually need a Murphy though as the creativity is in the 3 not the 2. As it is Murphy can play the defensive role because he knows where he needs to be to snuff out danger - provided his legs can get him there.

I thought he had another good season last season but just like this one he started badly. I'm betting that the archives for August 2010 will find plenty of posts saying that Murphy's time is up. Maybe it is now although I wouldn't write him off but the attempted signing of Boateng might have been an indication that Jol wanted an extra midfield shield option.

DukeTyrion

I still think we missed out when we didn't snap up O'Hara  :034:

BestOfBrede

What about Gecov - is he not a midfielder?
If so, has he the potential? I'm assuming he was bought in for a reason???

MJG

Quote from: BestOfBrede on September 01, 2011, 12:09:52 PM
I watched him in the reserves the other night and he did not play that Murphy role and nor did Donegan either. I think we will play with two holding/deeper central players which should give freedom to the other 4 to get forward.
the two CM's job will be to feed those attaking players, which maybe why Jol will tebd to go with Etuhu as Sidwell likes to get forward and its not really required in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: MJG on September 01, 2011, 12:13:45 PM
I watched him in the reserves the other night and he did not play that Murphy role and nor did Donegan either. I think we will play with two holding/deeper central players which should give freedom to the other 4 to get forward.
the two CM's job will be to feed those attaking players, which maybe why Jol will tebd to go with Etuhu as Sidwell likes to get forward and its not really required in a 4-2-3-1 formation.
Thanks MJG
Seems strange why we bought him then as we have DM covered?
Anyway - was he any good?

MJG

Quote from: BestOfBrede on September 01, 2011, 12:20:58 PM
Quote from: MJG on September 01, 2011, 12:13:45 PM
Thanks MJG
Seems strange why we bought him then as we have DM covered?
Anyway - was he any good?
He was slow getting involved in the game and only played first half but he kept it simple and he and Donegan linked up well, they were always looking to get it wide (Riise & Kacaniklic)or to Frei who was playing behind Trotta.
He's good tidy player with the brightest orange football boots you will ever see.

Dugliss

Quote from: DukeTyrion on September 01, 2011, 12:02:21 PM

Definitely agree with this

richie17

don't know if it can be done.  Because he sees so much of the ball and occasionally makes really good passes there's a tendency to see Murphy as a sort of '10' player.  In reality he's played much deeper the last couple of seasons, and certainly rarely gets into the opposing area. 

Murphy's value to us - in my view - is less about creativity, and more about running the team. Captaining, cajoling, positioning, decision making. Every attack goes through him, he's the player all the players look for.  That's impossible to replace really.  So we need to reshuffle what we do have.

King_Crud

Quote from: Dugliss on September 01, 2011, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: DukeTyrion on September 01, 2011, 12:02:21 PM

Definitely agree with this

thirded. Him and Kranjcar would have been good fits.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: zzamora on September 01, 2011, 11:08:48 AM

It has been for years, hasn't it?

O'Hara was in the market for about a year.......we clearly should've signed him, great little player.

Quote from: richie17 on September 01, 2011, 01:59:38 PM
Every attack goes through him, he's the player all the players look for.

See, this is why it's so painful to watch Fulham at times, especially when we're on the backfoot. There never is a plan b and if Murphy has an off or a so-and-so day, we're incredibly predicable and we can't break teams up. That's very annoying and I hope the signing of Ruiz will change that one at least to a certain extent.

cebu

Quote from: Mr Fulham on September 01, 2011, 05:10:03 PM
Quote from: zzamora on September 01, 2011, 11:08:48 AM

It has been for years, hasn't it?

O'Hara was in the market for about a year.......we clearly should've signed him, great little player.

Quote from: richie17 on September 01, 2011, 01:59:38 PM
Every attack goes through him, he's the player all the players look for.

See, this is why it's so painful to watch Fulham at times, especially when we're on the backfoot. There never is a plan b and if Murphy has an off or a so-and-so day, we're incredibly predicable and we can't break teams up. That's very annoying and I hope the signing of Ruiz will change that one at least to a certain extent.

I bet making Fulham less predictable for our opponents features quite strongly on Jol's agenda. We have to wean ourselves off over dependence on Murph and BZ for that matter. It will all come together!  092.gif

Can't wait to see the first installment against Blackburn.

MJG

Quote from: cebu on September 01, 2011, 07:15:03 PM

and the team will be:
Schwarzer, baird, brede,Hughes,Riise,Duff,Murphy,etuhu,dempsey,Johnson,zamora.

:-)

BarryP

Quote from: MJG on September 01, 2011, 07:26:14 PM

and the team will be:

Surely you jest!

I can't imagine that Dembele wouldn't feature over Johnson.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Mr Fulham

and the team will be:

No....Schwarzer, grygera, senderos, brede, riise, duff, etuhu, murphy, dempsey, johnson, kasami.

MJG

Quote from: BarryP on September 01, 2011, 07:35:31 PM

and the team will be:

Surely you jest!

I can't imagine that Dembele wouldn't feature over Johnson.
I do indeed.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo