watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bye Bye...

Started by BestOfBrede, September 02, 2011, 09:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psand22

Well, maybe he upset he didn't get mentioned on the thread about "Which footballer he would be" and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I know I lost a lot of sleep over not being mentioned or was I just sleeping another one off?  I can't really remember too much about last night.  I do know, I can't find my pants.

Lighthouse

First of all I hope nobody is driven away by the clique of people who are at times a bit exclusive. But as they know and have met each other one expects it. I also hope that nobody is a victim of a phrase I learned the other day from somebody who advised me I was a victim of Cyber Bullying. Made me laugh but it is very easy on here to invent grievances real or imagined and try and make the snowball grow until a few beileve it.

Nobody should be made to feel they don't belong. What ever their opinion. I have no idea what the post means and could well be an attack on all the false rumour mongers. Although there were so many stories that were jouno led it is hard to see what was invented and what wasn't. All should be made welcome after the Mods have done all the paperwork and interviews.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Scrumpy

Every internet forum is like this. Those who post the most regularly get to know each other and it may appear to exclude others. But why do we all act like kids on the internet? Just dip in when it suits, and dip out when it suits. I would have rated Best of Brede in my top 10 posters, so it's a shame he's burgered awff, but Jesus grow some balls and just go with the flow.

I've never seen anyone on here personally abuse anyone else, and that is surely what really matters. If poster 1 wants to call poster 2 by his/her first name, who gives a flying fugg?! If you're going to leave for a while, then just slip away quietly without the dramatics.  fp.gif

We're all Fulham, but we're all very different too.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 03, 2011, 12:48:37 AM
First of all I hope nobody is driven away by the clique of people who are at times a bit exclusive. But as they know and have met each other one expects it. I also hope that nobody is a victim of a phrase I learned the other day from somebody who advised me I was a victim of Cyber Bullying. Made me laugh but it is very easy on here to invent grievances real or imagined and try and make the snowball grow until a few beileve it.

Nobody should be made to feel they don't belong. What ever their opinion. I have no idea what the post means and could well be an attack on all the false rumour mongers. Although there were so many stories that were jouno led it is hard to see what was invented and what wasn't. All should be made welcome after the Mods have done all the paperwork and interviews.

Very well said. 065.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

CorkedHat

Quote from: KCat on September 02, 2011, 11:49:29 PM
Yeh I hate that when they use first names ....................but think on,  the only reason they know  the first name is because they had to apologize in a PM ,  for being a burk on the board. ........................and They may not have given their real one  064.gif

Mind you,   you could go to for a drink before the Citti game a meet up with a few ????
Well ???

Foxy is travelling all they way from the Sarrrf of France  ..there is a post  somewhere about it

Fair go KCat - I have never called you by your first name on this MB although I plead guilty to some other posters. But when I met them in the flesh I didn't go around saying "Would you like another drink Silver Fox?" or " Can you please stop kissing me every time Fulham scores LB number 11". It's very hard not to address them by their first names when you have known them since Tosh Chamberlain wore short trousers, and I more than anybody on this MB gets called by his first name.  It doesn't worry me although it might have done if I had been called Tarquin or Cedric.
I remember meeting a fellow Fulham fan in Derby and I asked him his name. "Leon," he replied. " Yeah, but what do you post as?" "Leon," he replied. From now on I'm going to refer to him as the Hitchin Warrior - none of these first names on here  092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Jack Fulham

I can see where he's coming from, a lot of people are a bit chummy on here but that's because a lot of you know each other in real life. Never bothered me really.

AmericanJames

Post or don't post, Keep your profile or not, nobody quite cares. This board will go on. So do yourself (and really everybody else as well) a favor and get over yourself mate.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

CincyFulham1

Just out of curiosity am I in the clique or am I a fringe? Need to know where I stand so I can decide if I want to continue visting this site.  As eveyone knows I am a wellspring of football knowledge and trivia, but if no one is going to listen and acknowledge my superiority I may as well leave too.  Infact I may start my own website "friendsoffulahmwhodontvisitfriendsoffulahm.com"

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

It does sometime come over as quite cliquish here at times.A lot of people on here have met each other and are friends, and hand on heart,I honestly don't think they are trying to exlude anyone,however if you are on the outside of this familiarity it can come across as very "Animal Farm"(all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others).
                                       And I can put my hand up and say that I have felt that way on more than one occasion,and what really sends people over the edge is when newbeis start posting and appear to leap frog over you in appeared acceptance on the site,people are only people after all and all ego's are fragile.
I'm one of the oldies who has been here from the begining(for my sins) and the board has always been strong,but people come and people go and things always change,as in life.

I've stamped my feet and thrown a strop and stormed off never to return only to come back cap in hand months later-nothing wrong with that(apart from feeling like a soft tart).This place is called Friends of Fulham and thats's what it's all about at the end of the day,the football club we all adore and that's what it should always be about,if you posted once or 1500 times, as long as  you love the club(and don't be a muppet) anyone and everyone is and should be made welcome.

So if you know no one or know everyone it shouldn't and doesn't matter, just enjoy the site and go easy on the mods-they do a fantastic job and this place wouldn't be here with out them! 092.gif 098.gif

michaelread

people like this? good riddance

CorkedHat

Quote from: michaelread on September 03, 2011, 03:18:08 AM

Own up Michael - what's your real name?
Seriously I can see that we can be perceived as being cliquey. I am on first name terms, however, with people I have not met but that's because I am the outgoing, friendly, boring up market novelist that I am. People take pity on me - well not everyone - some hate me but everyone is an outsider to start with. There are no rules to being part of FOF - no secret handshakes, passwords or doing unspeakbale acts with goats. It is just that some posters know other posters and this friendliness, familiarity and bonhomie is bound to come through. It really isn't that hard to become part of the so-called clique. Post often, don't criticise anyone unless it is Jimmy Bullard or Steve Marlet ( or in my case Reg Stratton) and just remind yourself that everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they are wrong  092.gif

michaelread

Quote from: CorkedHat on September 03, 2011, 03:40:18 AM
Quote from: michaelread on September 03, 2011, 03:18:08 AM

Own up Michael - what's your real name?
Seriously I can see that we can be perceived as being cliquey. I am on first name terms, however, with people I have not met but that's because I am the outgoing, friendly, boring up market novelist that I am. People take pity on me - well not everyone - some hate me but everyone is an outsider to start with. There are no rules to being part of FOF - no secret handshakes, passwords or doing unspeakbale acts with goats. It is just that some posters know other posters and this friendliness, familiarity and bonhomie is bound to come through. It really isn't that hard to become part of the so-called clique. Post often, don't criticise anyone unless it is Jimmy Bullard or Steve Marlet ( or in my case Reg Stratton) and just remind yourself that everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they are wrong  092.gif

This was aimed at the original poster. The idea that this place is cliquey is stupid. You can earn your place, it comes with contributing. If the original poster thrives on drama and anonymity, go and post on the offal. Simple. FOF is for FRIENDS, simply.

leonffc

For the record, i quite like Bestofbrede's posts and i find his 'retirement' a bit odd.

Although I do know a few people on the board and consider them friends, I can see where some people consider it 'cliquey' sometimes and I consider myself out of said 'clique'.
It doesn't upset me. I just put this down to
1) Yes, people have known each other for years. Acceptable!!

2) People dont reply to my posts because a) theres's a lot going on with that thread. b) my posts are sh1t. c) they dont understand my humour. All acceptable!!

3) People that post on here more regularly than myself and build 'relationships' or enjoy each others posts. Acceptable!!

4) Part of No.3 - Some people tend to 'arse lick' certain others for the sake of it. Irritating but hey!!

All in all, it's all part of a forum, one that we all signed up to and seem to enjoy.

Yours
Leon (or Hitchin warrior for Johns sake)

finnster01

I find this clique thread being pejorative but I sense it is quickly becoming ameliorated and approbative.

I think the more important question to ask is if FoF is a normative or comparable clique.  093.gif

In other words,  S001.gif 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

White Noise

I just don't get the clique thing at all but if you guys feel it then I guess it is a reality for you.

There are about 12 posters who all know each other mostly from the very first official messagebaord format from years ago. 12 out of about 200-300 active posters. They have been on this board from the start and in some instances on here I think it would be weird for them to use each others messageboard handles rather than their real names. People are just being nice to each other! The reality, and I can and have proved it statistically, is that these people are mostly not in the 20 most frequent posters on the site these days. They almost all post a lot less than they used to and other people post a lot more. Lots of people have mentioned in recent weeks how many new posters there are and the 'Have we ever introduced ourselves' thread and the others that exist like it are surely evidence that this is a very friendly, welcoming and inclusive place where people delight in seeing new posters join in.

There are, broadly speaking, two ways of posting. You can either post what you think and what interests you or you can post to provoke a response. I have always done the latter. To me it has always been an exercise in finding out what people like and respond to. A messageboard works if you get people responding to threads, so the blunt tool of threads like 'How old are and when what was your first Fulham game' appeal to me because they get even the most infrequent of posters involved. Threads like 'Guess the gate', 'Predict the score' and 'Name the line-up' are just a good way of getting people regularly involved and initiating discussion. For my money though its all the other posts, those that fall into the former category, that really make the site and in that regard BestofBrede was a valued member of the site IMHO.

Cyberspace is weird though guys. It is best not to take it too seriously IMHO and I speak as someone who has taken it too seriously in the past. None of this is real life, it is designed to be an escape from real life and I think its quite a good one at that. Maybe you think I'm in the clique? I have never met a single person from this site and no-one really knows me as a person. In Cyberspace its all about impressions you form and I think the clique one is bogus but thats just my reading of it. People say very nice things about me on here and on Twitter but in reality they have just built up an impression based on me posting lots and lots of info and trying to be helpful. I don't know a 10th of what some people think I know about Fulham and I am really not the nice guy some would have you believe I am - as the self regarding nature of this post in part attests. Cheers! 082.gif

leonffc

Quote from: finnster01 on September 03, 2011, 07:33:07 AM
I find this clique thread being pejorative but I sense it is quickly becoming ameliorated and approbative.

I think the more important question to ask is if FoF is a normative or comparable clique.  093.gif

In other words,  S001.gif 

Indeed. Thats what I was trying to say, there isn't a clique, I can see why some people may percieve there is but there isn't. If people know each other that can't be helped.

Lets all get on with posting other nonsence and end this thread.

WhiteJC

There are no rules to being part of FOF - no secret handshakes, passwords or doing unspeakbale acts with goats.

I quite like goats  :dft011:

TonyGilroy

Quote from: White Noise on September 03, 2011, 07:38:07 AM
Cyberspace is weird though guys. It is best not to take it too seriously IMHO and I speak as someone who has taken it too seriously in the past. None of this is real life, it is designed to be an escape from real life and I think its quite a good one at that.

That sums it up nicely for me. I use my real name because I think it's nonsense not to but I don't know other posters (bar one) off board and have no idea whether I'm part of the clique. Or care.

Big mistake in life generally though is to take yourself too seriously because others won't. Unless you're Gaddafy or similar.

CorkedHat

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 03, 2011, 08:05:22 AM

There are no rules to being part of FOF - no secret handshakes, passwords or doing unspeakbale acts with goats.

I quite like goats  :dft011:

And I quite like unspeakable acts  098.gif

Burt

Show me a message board that doesn't have cliques...

By virtue of factors such volume of posts, quality of contribution, length of time someone has been a memeber, whether people have met face-to-face, etc. then these relationships and cliques are bound to develop.

Accept if for what it is, and don't be offended by it.

I have only met one FOFer face-to-face, have only had a few PM exchanges with others, and don't feel part of any inner sanctum but so what? I don't come on here for that.

I come on here because it is:
- Home to like-minded souls...we are all Fulham.
- A source of great information around the club, its history, its players and its fans.
- Has some great banter and triviality in between the "serious" threads.
- Tolerant, where differences are respected and personal abuse is kept to a minimum.
- A well moderated board.

Cliquety-clique.