more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff(04/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 04, 2011, 07:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Former Spurs and Fulham star Steed Malbranque retires from football
Steed Malbranque has announced his retirement from football, less than two months after joining new club St Etienne.

The former Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur star signed for the French outfit from Sunderland on a two-year deal earlier this summer, but has now decided to call time on his playing career.

Malbranque made just one appearance as a substitute for St Etienne and was left out of the squad by coach Christophe Galtier for the league game against Sochaux last weekend.

According to reports in France, the 31-year-old player has decided to hang up his boots in order to care for his son, who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Malbranque was born in the Belgian city of Mouscron, but held French nationality and represented his country at under-21 level.

He started his club career at Lyon before switching to the Premier League with Fulham, where he scored ten goals in his first season and became a fans' favourite.

The skilful midfielder crossed London to join Tottenham in 2006 and moved on to Sunderland two years later.

He made more than 100 appearances for the Black Cats before being deemed surplus to requirements by manager Steve Bruce and deciding to return to France.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/874340-former-spurs-and-fulham-star-steed-malbranque-retires-from-football#ixzz1WxmfDtwx

WhiteJC

Roy Hodgson: I fought hard to bring Zoltan Gera back to West Brom and I expect results
The Baggies' manager speaks of his struggle to bring the Hungarian back to the Hawthorns and wants the former Fulham midfielder to show him why

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson has spoken of his fight to bring Zoltan Gera back to the Midlands from former club Fulham and says he expects 'big things' from the forward.

Gera played for the Baggies for four years from 2004 and established himself as a firm favourite amongst the fans with some industrious performances.

But Hodgson admitted it had been difficult to bring his new signing back to the club, claiming that Fulham were keen to keep hold of him.

Speaking to reporters, Hodgson revealed: "The change of management at Fulham almost spoiled things for us in the sense that they made it very clear when the new manager came in, and Ray Lewington got promoted once again to first-team coach, that they really wanted to keep him.

"Luckily, he still wanted to come and join us, so it was a big signing [for us].

"Zoltan is one of the big signings of this transfer window for me and I expect big things from him.

"It was never close to not happening because he'd made up his mind he wanted to come here and work with me again.

"But he had to listen to plenty of overtures to try to get him to change his mind."

Hodgson is hoping that Gera will be available to make his second Baggies' debut next Sunday when they face Norwich at Carrow Road as he makes his long-awaited comeback from an injury he sustained in the final game of last season.

The manager is also keen to see the Hungarian add some much needed competition to his midfield. He continued: "It will be a great advantage having him available.

"He did ever so well at Fulham.

"He became every bit as much a favourite with the fans there as he was during his first spell here.

"Zoltan will produce extra competition in an area that I must say is already very, very strong because we also in effect have a new player in Graham Dorrans this year.

"He [Dorrans] played very little part in my time at the club last season because he was injured."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/09/03/2648979/roy-hodgson-i-fought-hard-to-bring-zoltan-gera-back-to-west-brom-?

WhiteJC

Recognition Where Recognition is Due!

Sat watching England stroll to victory in Sofia last night, did anyone else display a sense of pride?

No! Not about the result, that was on the cards from the moment the referee blew the whistle to get the game under way.

No, I mean at seeing Chris Smalling pulling on an England shirt for the very first time.

Now although the media make a great deal about Sir Alex Ferguson having a great group of young players coming into this first team, it shouldn`t be forgotten, like many hacks tend to be doing, that Smalling was discovered by our good selves playing non-league football for Maidstone United.

Strange how these things get forgotten about as time passes by isn`t it?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254036#ixzz1Wxnub6kd

WhiteJC

Ruiz Reveals Cottage Move Reasons

Fulham secured the £10.6m signing of FC Twente forward Bryan Ruiz despite the attentions of Premier League rivals Newcastle.
Cottagers boss Martin Jol had been desperate to bolster his weakened strike-force before Wednesday's 11pm deadline after his side's struggle for goals in their opening three Premier League matches of the campaign.And, after snapping up 23-year-old Portuguese striker Orlando Sa on a free transfer, Jol managed to get his main target Ruiz on board despite several other clubs vying for his signature.

Newcastle, Benfica, Valencia and Villarreal were all interested, but the 26-year-old agreed a four-year contract at Craven Cottage before the window closed."I'm really happy to be joining Fulham Football Club and playing under Martin Jol who is a manager I admire from his time managing in Holland for Ajax," Ruiz told the club's official website."I chose to come to Fulham because it feels more personal than other clubs I have visited."I'm looking forward to meeting up with the whole squad when most of the players return from the international break and getting to work straight away with the team in preparation for some important fixtures."

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/ruiz_reveals_cottage_move_reasons_698486/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Three Card Trick in Cuthroat Trading

The bottom line is that by the close of the transfer window not one of Fulham's front line players had left the club, while the business done suggests we're on the up.

Hats off to Martin and the board. They got their marquee man in Bryan Ruiz and further cover for other positions, while giving us all kittens as the clock ticked down. The sheer frenzy of last Wednesday night, with the Sky Sports team foaming at the mouth, personifies the madness that infests the English game.

Spending in total up by a third, close to £500 million pounds changed hands. Yes folks, in the deepest recession since the 1970's first oil crisis, football clubs across Europe flew in the face of financial prudency and common sense. Well, not quite everybody.

Much as we detest all things United and their reptilian owners, the princes of the Premiership showed how it should be done. Likewise their cross-town neighbours City. Ferguson had all his deals done while everyone else was still at the beach. The only activity from the blue side of Manchester on deadline day clearing out the dead wood of those no longer deemed worthy of the sky blue shirt.

Both clubs have made a fast start to the season, while traditional rivals for the title look tired, tarnished or in transition. Results from last weekend spell a watershed in the evolution of the English league. I wonder what those who presided over the birth of the Premiership 20 years ago think of their baby now? We have successfully emulated the Scots. The title this season in the EPL is a two horse race.
After last week's results I've no doubt every United fan will be gleefully adding the 8-2 demolition of an abject Arsenal to their DVD collection. But ten years from now, do you imagine this match will feature highly in the Premier League's archive of great games? No – because it was actually like watching football on the park. Simply too one-sided to hold my interest, a transient, almost surreal moment of car-crash television.
And therein lies the rub, and the lesson from north of the border. Competitiveness is the beating heart of sport.

Take that away, and what remains is an almost irrelevant sideshow. This trend has blighted a generation of West Indian cricketers and sees the world of Formula One incessantly revising its rules year on year. Major sports from snooker to the NHL have seen their product turn pallid, TV productions, sponsors and revenues dry up as popular taste turned against them. Administrators, club owners and professional bodies beware.

Domination of the EPL by the two Manchester sides for the coming season – and we are barely into September – leaves me feeling hollow.

Returning closer to home – our own humble but wonderful football club has dumbfounded all the doubters by showing real purpose, and a canny strategy. We can only guess at how much subterfuge goes on in the transfer merry-go-round. I've even toyed with the notion Martin 'contrived' with the back room staff to inflate concerns over Zamora's ankle and thus concentrate the board's mind into bankrolling his buys. Is that too Byzantine of me? We shall never know. I do know that prior to the Wolves game, when BZ was filmed skipping off the team bus in his track suit looking fresh and fit, during the Dnipro home tie to my eye he looked 100%...and wasn't he supposed to have told people at Molineux he was injury-free and surprised not to be starting?

To more concrete matters. A no-fee one year contract for the 32-year-old Juve RB Zdenek Grygera makes sense. It should also not of itself undermine Baird's first-team options. Likewise the Bosman signing of Orlando Sa from Portugal. In short, the club has now cemented two elevens capable of representing Fulham across another fixture crowded season. We are perhaps one striker light, but that is no fault of FFC, who from their end had everything in place to bring over Marseille's Gignac, the player being summoned back to France from the Cottage at the last minute.

We may yet see him turn up in January, which may also be shakedown time for a few Fulham players to find new clubs. Andy Johnson is one obvious candidate. It's hard to see him getting ahead of Ruiz, Dembele and Dempsey in the pecking order to support Zamo. The run up to Christmas is intriguing as to who Martin favours for starting places. It's been another great week in the progression of Matthew Briggs career with an assured England display for the U-21's, so Riise might not be automatic choice for the LB slot when fit again.

The burning issue is who does Martin nominate to fill Danny's role in midfield, and at what point will he be brave enough to bench the club's captain? There's a case for trying Clint in the role, the more rangy Kasami could work, and we are yet to see anything of Gecov. As I've said above, Fulham remains a work in progress as we distance ourselves further from the Hodgson era. It was vital we lowered the average age of the side and the board have clearly worked with an eye to the future throughout 2011.

The modern game of football is one where you simply cannot be caught standing still. Look how rapidly problems have engulfed Arsenal, now paying a heavy price for lack of foresight. I'm not sure the Wenger of old would have moved for some of the players he went for this week, but it's a sign of the times at the Emirates, and panic clearly took hold after the Old Trafford debacle. At Fulham we might have to cut the boys a bit of slack while Jol shuffles the pack and the new faces bed in. Last word on a strange week - oh, I haven't mentioned the Newcastle game (best glossed over, though we did improve) – should go to our new £10 million pound Costa Rican. Welcome Bryan!

Let's not heap a ton of pressure on the boy, but his scoring record in Holland was spectacular. One man doesn't make a team, but here's hoping he really adds a fresh dimension to the side, and I can go back to my early season optimism of seeing Fulham compete for a place just below the bottom four. With another memorable run in the Europa League for good measure.

Do you feel more or less optimistic after last Wednesday? Your thoughts as ever, please.

WE ARE FULHAM!    Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/09/three_card_trick_in_cuthroat_t.php?

WhiteJC

£10m American confirms deadline Arsenal interest
Arsenal - Clint Dempsey confirms Arsene Wenger was keen on his services

Arsenal made a late move for Fulham striker Clint Dempsey, it has emerged.

The American international forward, who moved to the Barclays Premier League in 2006, was speculatively linked with a move away from Craven Cottage in the later stages of the transfer window.

However, confirmation of an enquiry from Arsenal comes as a surprise, as it was un-reported that Arsene Wenger was chasing the player.

"Yes there was interest from clubs, including Arsenal, but nothing materialised," the striker told Goal.com.

The move came off the back of the Gunners' 8-2 defeat to Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League, a loss which sparked a flurry of activity at the Emirates.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/10m-american-confirms-deadline-arsenal-interest?

WhiteJC

A Belated Tribute To Roger Brown And A Bygone Era At Fulham F.C.

I was driving through Oklahoma when I learned that Roger Brown had died. It came from one tweet, then two and so on. A statement of condolence was released by the Fulham paying tribute to the defender, a man who died far too young at 58.

I don't really have any memories of Brown, be they fond or otherwise. You can attribute this to the fact that I've followed Fulham for less than a decade or to the other considerable fact that when Brown left Fulham for Bournemouth in December 1983 I was barely six months old.

Yet, while I may not have had any memories of him to call my own, I can credit Brown, or rather a photograph of Brown, for helping me cobble together a visceral vision of what soccer once was in England.

We're going back now to the early 1980s, 1982 to be precise, when things weren't as they currently are for Fulham. Or, rather, much of it wasn't at least. The mighty, mighty Whites played at the Craven Cottage, as they had and have since 1896. They still wore white shirts and black shorts at home, just as the club has every year since its inception. Well, every year except for the current one.

But the current era of top flight stability was a pipe dream in the 80s. As was historically typical, Fulham was toiling in the third division of English football (think League One today), a "yo-yo" club to the core. Assuredly one of the top sides in the third tier, but not one that could be considered dominant.

In this era, the top three teams in the third division were allowed promotion to the second. No playoff system was in place. On the last day of the season, Fulham sat in third place with 76 points. A point behind them sat Lincoln City.

Funny thing was, Fulham hosted Lincoln City on the final day of the season.

As Martin Plumb, author of several books on the history of Fulham and an attendee at the match, told me:

The Lincoln game was totally Fulhamish - and from a position of automatic promotion Fulham had contrived to make us sweat until the last day (or night) of the season.

In a match of fate, the original game had been postponed due to bad weather around January or February, the fixture computer had lined these two up for the final evening. Two were already promoted by that time, which left Fulham in third place and Lincoln in fourth. Fulham needed JUST a draw (always dangerous) whilst Lincoln needed the win to take that coveted promotion place.

As Martin told me, the weather was awful and the match was thoroughly tedious. If the carrot of promotion and threat of non-promotion were not on display, a nap may have been required to pace oneself that evening. But, as the highest of stakes were up for grabs, nervous fans with nervous stomachs created an "electric" atmosphere within the filled stands of the Craven Cottage. The nervy atmosphere descended onto the field itself, leading to an ugly match where a crunching tackle may have been more likely than a completed pass or a moment of flair.

And then, in the 56th minute...

Fulham v Lincoln 1982

It was Brown's 12th goal of the season, an astounding number for a central defender and still a record at Fulham. It looked to be the goal that would not only to secure promotion for Fulham, but the one that could perhaps capture a third division championship as well.

Plumb:

Realising it was do or die, ten-man Lincoln finally came out and bombarded the Fulham goal. The equalizer was scored on 72 minutes by the unlikeliest player, full back David Carr. Sensing they had a chance, Lincoln threw everything at Fulham in the final ten minutes - which seemed to go on forever. They could have won it too but for Les Strong's goal-line clearance in the last few minutes.

Finally it was over at 1-1 and MacDonald's side were promoted - but everyone was completely drained.

Isn't that right at the heart of life as a supporter? Ultimate success followed by complete emotional exhaustion?

One of the Fulham's most iconic images was captured that night by Ken Coton, a longtime photographer for the club and a lifelong Fulham fan.

Brown in full flight, his head sending the ball forward hard and accurate. David Felgate is only able to get a hand upon a whisper of the ball, not enough to dissuade it from its final destination. Success.

For as memorable as the image became, another picture Coton took of Brown that night stood out even further to me.

In the dressing room following the triumphant draw, Brown, still covered in sweat and mud, takes a moment to enjoy a celebratory smoke and presumably a cup of tea. It all seems so natural, not only for that time, but, in a way, for modern times as well.

I can just see my friends and I doing this after a recreational game, stopping at the pub (not just some random bar, there can be only one) for a pint and a smoke before heading home. Just enjoying the post-match afterglow and reflecting on a job well done, no need to worry about anything else in the world.

It just all seems so far removed from the modern professional athlete and that's probably what made it so profound to me. It's a picture that, upon seeing it for the first time, immediately lodged itself into my memory. It's this image along with books like the Damned Utd. and films like, well, the Damned Utd. that painted a picture of sport in a far away country during a bygone era that I often strive to imagine.

So thank you Roger. Thank you for leading Fulham to a success that will never be forgotten. Thank you for the many memories you created during your relatively brief tenure at the Craven Cottage. And thank you for inadvertently allowing my imagination to thrive by simply being yourself.

(from left to right, teammates and promotion heroes in 1982:  Les Strong, Roger Brown, Robert Wilson and Gordon Davies)

All photos, aside from the header, were provided freely by Ashwater Press and captured via the photographic talents of Ken Coton. Ashwater is owned and operated by Ken and Martin Plumb and has self -published a treasure trove of books dealing with the  rich history of Fulham FC. I highly encourage you to check out their website and and support their efforts by purchasing one of the many books they have to offer.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/9/4/2400656/a-belated-tribute-to-roger-brown-and-a-bygone-era?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey and Yoann Gourcuff were late Arsenal transfer targets
Clint Dempsey and Yoann Gourcuff were among the players Arsenal targeted in their scramble for new faces late in the transfer window, it has emerged.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger acted quickly after the 8-2 humiliation at Manchester United and brought in Park Chu-Young, Andre Santos, Per Mertesacker, Yossi Benayoun and Mikel Arteta before the deadline.

And it has now emerged that Wenger also moved for a range of other targets as he looked to strengthen his squad in the wake of the departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri.

Among the possibilities investigated was Fulham's US striker Dempsey, but Arsenal were unwilling to match the £10million asking price for the 28-year-old.

Dempsey told Goal.com: 'Yes there was interest from clubs, including Arsenal, but nothing materialised.'

Meanwhile, Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has revealed he was contacted by Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi about the availability of France midfielder Gourcuff.

But Lyon were unwilling to let the former AC Milan and Bordeaux star leave, even though he is currently injured.

'I got a call on the penultimate day of the transfer window from Gilles Grimandi asking for a loan,' Aulas told French radio station RMC.

'We believe in re-establishing Yoann. He has been operated upon. He has just resumed training.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/874353-clint-dempsey-and-yoann-gourcuff-were-late-arsenal-transfer-targets#ixzz1WxrW2EEk

WhiteJC

Grading the Transfer Window: Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Man City, Man United

FULHAM
The hurried completion of the deal that took Bryan Ruiz to Craven Cottage from FC Twente meant Martin Jol could turn in on August 31st satisfied he had landed almost all of his main targets this summer. Ruiz will add width and a scoring threat to a side that has become too predictable for Jol's liking while the arrival of John Arne Riise and the uncompromising Zdenek Grygera will strengthen an already well organised defence. Pajtim Kasami and Marcel Gecov both look like shrewd purchases with one eye on the future while the departures of Jonathan Greening, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Diomansy Kamara and Eddie Johnson will not be felt too strongly.

Highlight: Jol saved the best for last with Ruiz whose arrival at last triggered genuine excitement.
Lowlight: No great scares or missed opportunities but the manager has looked abroad for his new recruits and only Riise is well versed in the ways Premier League. That in itself marks a gamble, but clearly one Jol believes is worth taking.
Grade: B -

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/09/03/grading-the-transfer-window-everton-fulham-liverpool-man-cit/?

White Noise

Farewell Bryan Ruiz, footballer for framing

Let us rather worried by the departure of Bryan Ruiz, the finest footballer of the last ten years premiership - and also the sportiest. Suddenly he's still away to Fulham note, and everyone seemed only natural to find.

When Bryan Ruiz in one day what was going to buy shirts in the fanshop FC Twente, he was in love with the girl behind the counter. She was 19 - not really the prototype football wife, but she is sweet and friendly. That's quite worth something, I think, and found that Bryan Ruiz.

For women who like football to be, do not be fooled by this story. Do not go behind the counter immediately very eager to sit with a fan shop a nice color rinse, because players are rarely if ever in the fanshop. When players need a shirt to give away, texting them the equipment manager or the sponsor or clothing, or perhaps the agent. Piece of cake.

Bryan Ruiz only buys his own jerseys conveniently fanshop FC Twente, apparently, and that says quite a lot about Bryan Ruiz, perhaps everything. You see him standing at the cash register, a bit shy, with a hand on the wallet in his pocket. What name, sir pressed to have asked the sweet girl. Go ahead, "Bryan," says Bryan.

The saddest transfergekkigheid on August 31 that was not the lies and deceit, wrapped in a circus of reared club directors and fiduciaries horny. We could have another discussion about moral hang with everyone, but it starts with some trips to all those open doors.

Let us rather worried by the departure of Bryan Ruiz, the finest footballer of the last ten years premiership - and also the sportiest. Suddenly he's still away to Fulham note, and everyone seemed only natural to find.

While it is right to cry so much. I would also not be too sentimental, but the departure of Bryan Ruiz to the English middle that we will feel much longer than we dare think. A defeat is, for all of us.

Jari Litmanen when we first left, in May 1999, the Breda public clapped their hands one by one player who we all a little in the Netherlands had grown to love. NAC had just been demoted, that day, but the applause rolled clattering of the stands when Litmanen afsjokte the field, with those beautiful shoulders.

Bryan Ruiz is another player. A football player so beautiful that it transcends any club sentiment. Stylish in the square, playing a little delayed, as a kind of retro football player from the 70s. A boy so common and touchable moreover, that in the club shop FC shirt is going to buy one of his friends in Costa Rica - and promptly falls in love with the girl behind the counter.

Litmanen when twelve years ago on that, there was still enough to enjoy in the Premiership, because next season we had Laudrup, and Van Nistelrooy still Nilis. Bryan Ruiz leaves a void.

We will never, mark my words, a major league player so hard to miss when he, the Weasel from Costa Rica. A football player for framing."

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5598/Sportcolumnisten/article/detail/2889744/2011/09/03/Vaarwel-Bryan-Ruiz-voetballer-om-in-te-lijsten.dhtml

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ipswich-boss-jewell-has-no-doubts-over-fulham-keeper-stockdale-1861261?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Fulham keeper Stockdale

04.09.11 | tribalfootball.com

Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell has no doubts about on-loan Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale.

Jewell, who is on the look out for a third keeper knowing that Stockdale could be recalled at 24 hours notice, believes the Yorkshireman will only get better.

"It has been difficult for him, it has been like shooting practice in a couple of games, so he's done very well," said the Town manager.

"He is a terrific goalkeeper, but he is still learning. He's 25 but it's not as if he has hundreds of games behind him. He'll get better."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/node/1859491?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Fulham send youngster Richard Barroilhet to Finland

03.09.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham youngster Richard Barroilhet has signed for Finland's VPS on-loan.

The 19 year-old will stay with VPS until October 31.

Barroilhet came through the youth system at Nice and is regarded highly in France. But he returned to the country of his birth to join Fulham last year.

"Having been born in England, I've always followed the football in this country," the Westminster-born youngster told fulhamfc.com. "So it was natural for me to want to come over and see what I could do. Fortunately the chance to try my luck at Fulham came up and after a successful trial it worked out well for me."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/node/1859511?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Released Liverpool fullback Degen linked with West Brom, Fulham

Several Premier League clubs are eyeing released Liverpool fullback Philipp Degen.

The Switzerland international is a free agent and eager to continue in England after a frustrating spell on Merseyside.

Everton have been linked with Degen, though West Bromwich Albion boss Roy Hodgson and Fulham's Martin Jol are also admirers.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-s-schwarzer-critical-australia-s-narrow-win-1860851?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Fulham's Schwarzer critical of Australia's narrow win

04.09.11 | Andrew Slevison

Mark Schwarzer felt that Friday's come-from-behind 2-1 win over Thailand was Australia's worst performance in a long time.

Holger Osieck's Socceroos conceded in the 15th minute of their opening 2014 World Cup qualifier in Brisbane before Josh Kennedy and Alex Brosque saved their blushes with goals in the 58th and 86th minutes respectively.

Fulham goalkeeper Schwarzer admitted that the result, although a winning one, felt like a loss and was very critical of the showing from the world's 22nd ranked team who struggled to get past 120th ranked Thais.

"It felt like a loss to be perfectly honest. At the end of the day the only thing I can say is we got three points on the board," Schwarzer told Fox Sports.

"It was probably one of our worst performances we've had for a very long, long time. There's no excuses. It wasn't good enough today and we all know it."

He added: "We were all over the place. We didn't have any good shape. We were chasing rather than playing with our head.

"The boss had strong words to everyone at half-time, but the positive is we got the three points. That's all."

As for Tuesday's clash with Saudi Arabia in Dammam, Schwarzer insists that the Socceroos will need to improve sharply or face a disappointment in their second outing.

"We definitely can't play like we did today. We need to regain our shape and make sure we all do our jobs which we're supposed to do," he said.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/node/1859481?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Malaga land Fulham defender Marquez-Sanchez

Fulham allowed young defender Cristian Marquez-Sanchez to return home to Spain this summer.

The former Espanyol junior has signed with big-spending Malaga after two years with the Cottagers.

Marquez-Sanchez turned pro with Fulham last season.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/node/1859471?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Leicester signing Pantsil: Fulham always special to me

Ghana fullback John Pantsil is happy to be back at Fulham this weekend.

Joining Leicester City from Fulham this summer, the friendly marks the Ghanaian's first match at the Cottage since his move and he has spoken to the official Brazil v Ghana matchday programme ahead of the game about his delight upon returning.

"It's nice to be here and it's always good to be back among friends. I am looking forward to this game and enjoying the Craven Cottage atmosphere," he said.

"I had a great time here with my teammates and the fans. Three years is a long time, but in the modern game, it is rare to play for just one team or remain with a club for a very long period. I still have strong emotions for Fulham and always want them to succeed."