Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (06.03.10)

Started by White Noise, March 05, 2010, 09:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8552707.stm

Fulham pair Roy Hodgson and Mark Schwarzer win awards 

Hodgson excited by Fulham's 'big week'

Fulham's Roy Hodgson has been named February's Premier League manager of the month while Cottagers goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer won the players' award.

Fulham were unbeaten last month with Schwarzer conceding just one goal in their three league wins and two draws.

Hodgson, 62, also won the accolade in October and saw his side climb to ninth in the Premier League in February.

He said: "It is a great achievement to win it twice in one season, but it's not me it's for the whole team."

As well as remaining unbeaten in the Premier League Fulham progressed to the last eight of the FA Cup with a 4-0 win over Notts County and last 16 of the Europa League after knocking out Uefa Cup holders Shakhtar Donetsk 3-2 on aggregate.

The Cottagers take on Tottenham in the FA Cup on Saturday and then travel to Turin to take on Juventus in the Europa League on Thursday.

"In years to come people will look back at February 2010 and see that Fulham was a big club and a successful football team and I am proud to be a part of that," added Hodgson.

Goalkeeper Schwarzer, 37, has spent 13 seasons in the top flight, but has never been named the player of the month.

The Australian is the first Fulham player to win the player of the month award since former striker Louis Saha took the honour in August 2001.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/125154/Roy-Hodgson-s-on-a-revenge-mission-/

ROY HODGSON'S ON A REVENGE MISSION

6th March 2010

By Ian Winrow

ROY Hodgson today has the chance to pay back Harry Redknapp for the Tottenham manager's swoop for Peter Crouch.

Fulham boss Hodgson, who was yesterday named Manager of the Month for February, wanted to sign the England striker when Crouch was on his way out of Pompey last summer.

But a phone call from old mate Redknapp made it clear the 6ft 7in front man was ­destined for White Hart Lane.

And Crouch, who struck twice in England's 3-1 win over Egypt this week, could now prevent Fulham reaching Wembley for the first time in 35 years in this afternoon's FA Cup quarter-final.

Hodgson said: "Peter ­expressed an interest in ­coming here and then we had some dealings with his agent.

"But it soon became clear he was on his way to Tottenham.

"Harry made it clear to me that's what would be ­ happening. We're old friends and he rang me up to tell me. He said he rang me to spare me from any heartache!

"Peter's a very good player, but Bobby ­Zamora has been in wonderful form anyway."

Today's clash kick-starts the biggest 12 days in the club's history.

It takes in Thursday's trip to Turin to face Juventus in the Europa League and next weekend's clash at Manchester United before the return match with the Italian giants.

And Hodgson admits it's a measure of how far Fulham have come that the visit to the Premier League champions will take a back seat.

He added: "We know what's ahead. If we were to win, there's a trip to Wembley at stake, our first for 35 years.

"It would be great for the club. You know you are never going to have a better ­opportunity to cross that line.

"There is a glittering prize riding on the back of the next two fixtures. Man United is the one at the back of our minds."

White Noise

http://www.espnstar.com/football/fa-cup/news/detail/item407534/Redknapp-settles-for-Swanage/

Redknapp settles for Swanage

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has no ambitions for international management - but he likes the idea of taking charge at Swanage.

Redknapp lives in nearby Poole and joked that Swanage Town & Herston, a Dorset Premier League outfit, would be the only club he would be interested in.

When asked about the prospect of managing abroad or internationally, Redknapp said: "I'm going to manage Swanage. That's where I'll finish, I've always said that.

"My wife's been taking rowing lessons, she can row me over there for training. Swanage is perfect for me, just over the water.

"Tuesday and Thursday nights, a bit of training with the boys, that's where I want to be."

Redknapp and Fulham boss Roy Hodgson, who clash this weekend in the FA Cup quarter-final, have both been suggested as possible candidates for high-profile jobs such as the 2012 Olympics football team.

Redknapp said: "There's every chance that he (Hodgson) should be, sure."

While Redknapp and Hodgson have taken the FA Cup seriously this season, the Spurs boss cannot explain why some managers field weakened teams in the competition.

"I can't understand why people take it lightly," he said. "I see managers who are mid-table and suddenly they are putting out weakened teams. What for? Surely we can all win the FA Cup.

"Everyone's in there with a chance. We start the season and most clubs think they can win two competitions - the League Cup or the FA Cup. They aren't going to win the championship. So why not have a go?

"If you are bottom of the league and struggling against relegation, I can understand it. But when you are mid-table and people put weakened teams out, I don't understand it."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/injuries-cut-spurs-down-to-bare-bones-1916990.html

Injuries cut Spurs down to bare bones

Redknapp left with just 12 fit senior players for today's FA Cup tie against Fulham

By Steve Douglas

Saturday, 6 March 2010

Tottenham's injury problems have deepened to such an extent that Harry Redknapp, their manager, will be forced to pack his substitutes' bench with youth-team players for today's FA Cup quarter-final against Fulham.

Redknapp revealed yesterday that he has only 12 fit senior squad players available for the match at Craven Cottage. Jermain Defoe is the latest of his big-name players to succumb to injury, the England striker returning from international duty with hamstring problems, making him 50/50 to play today.

With Redknapp delivering a worrying assessment on the progress of England winger Aaron Lennon's recovery from a groin complaint and the likes of David Bentley, Tom Huddlestone, Jermaine Jenas, Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King among those struggling with injury, Spurs are reduced to the bare bones.

Redknapp has been forced to recall two young midfielders, Jake Livermore and Andros Townsend, from loan spells at Peterborough and MK Dons respectively. The pair will be among Tottenham's substitutes along with three other "kids", according to the manager. "Against Fulham, without exaggerating, I've got one spare senior player," Redknapp said. "It's quite easy to pick the team at the moment because I think we have about 12 fit players. That's what I'm dealing with here."

Lennon has not played since 28 December because of his groin injury and it appears he is no closer to making a return, with Redknapp admitting the problem is baffling the Spurs medical staff.

"We have never got to the bottom of his injury and now he's still a fair way away. He has worked as hard as he can to be fit but getting to the bottom of what his problem was has been difficult.

"He can't do any more than he's doing. When he's right, he'll be back. The latest scan showed he has torn a little bit more fibres of the groin area. Until they heal it will take a bit of time."

One of three strikers – either Eidur Gudjohnsen or in-form pair Peter Crouch and Roman Pavlyuchenko – will be that senior player warming the bench this evening.

Wilson Palacios is the only fit centre-midfielder available to Redknapp, so the Honduras international is set to be partnered in the middle by Luka Modric, who will move inside from the flank.

"It was always an area that scared me a bit," Redknapp said of his central midfield options. "I always thought it was the one area of the team that was very short of bodies."

White Noise

Thank Fergie for Small mercies

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

CHRIS SMALLING went to Tottenham and it changed his life.

Which is surprising because Fulham had played a stinker and lost 2-0 back on a January night the blossoming defender will never forget.

Only afterwards did Smalling's luck change when he was whisked upstairs at White Hart Lane for a face-to-face meeting with Alex Ferguson - the man he will soon call boss.

Manchester United chief Fergie even shelved preparations for a titanic Carling Cup semi-final against Man City to fly south and sneak into Spurs on a mission to tie up a £12million deal for the little-known centre-half, who has still only made nine senior starts for Fulham.

Smalling, 20, heads up to Old Trafford at the end of this season, a season which has been full of adventure for the Cottagers and the England Under-21 starlet.

Europe, Premier League, big-money moves and tonight an FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham, which brings all the memories of his nervy introduction to the most successful British football manager in history.

Smalling said: "It was a hell of a night for me. I had the game at Tottenham to concentrate on, then I was told Sir Alex was in the crowd.

"When you're told that you wonder about what you're going to say to someone like that.

"I waited and someone said he would be along in a little while. My hands were a bit sweaty. I was thinking of some ice-breaking lines, how to get the conversation going with him, that sort of stuff.

"He has such a reputation, such a fantastic record that it can be quite intimidating.

"We had a little chat and I noticed his distinctive Scottish accent.

"But the mere fact he came down on an important night for his club tells me a lot about Sir Alex. To meet him in person made me feel so good."

Brainbox Smalling, who was born in Greenwich, is the grammar school kid with four A-levels, a grounding in non-League football with Maidstone United and a determination not to get swept away by the hype.

It is why he quit Millwall as a kid because the commute from his childhood home in Kent was a strain on his studies.

Fergie knows his stuff too and was equally set on snapping up the potential locked inside the 6ft 4in frame of the player regularly touted as the new Rio Ferdinand - the star he will soon be calling 'skipper'.

Smalling added: "I went up for a medical and had a chat to Sir Alex generally about the club. To be honest they don't have to do much of a selling job with it.

"We spoke about how I would develop, joining up in pre-season and being part of the first-team.

"When you go to a top club, you know there will be world-class centre-halves. Sir Alex said he hopes I will start strongly in pre-season and hopefully I can deliver.

"In the treatment room I met up with Owen Hargreaves and John O'Shea, who are injured. Rio and Michael Carrick were around, too.

"Rio said 'You're from my neck of the woods, so don't worry. There's a few of us up here'.

"He said he'd help me settle in and that life in Manchester is good.

"It will be strange moving up North. I moved to Kent as a kid but that's only an hour-and-a-half away even now.

"I can look after myself though and am a decent cook.

"My brother Jason is delighted by the whole thing.

"He is a Manchester United fan and his first reaction to my signing was that he is angling for a free season ticket!"

United is next season. This season has gone into a kind of limbo as Smalling has barely figured for Fulham since the deal was announced in the dying days of the January transfer window.

But with boss Roy Hodgson set to make changes with a Europa League trip to Juventus next Thursday and precious Premier League points up for grabs, Smalling is champing at the bit to get involved.

Smalling's career has hit a sharp upward curve.

He made his debut only in the last game of last season with a brief runout against Everton.

Just two years ago he was playing non-League with Maidstone United and supplementing his wages by waiting tables for £5 an hour.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson, a former Maidstone player himself, used his contacts to secure Smalling as a project, a work in progress to polish up from a rough diamond.

And the lad with brains as well as boots has repaid Hodgson's patience and eye for a player by making Fulham a potful of money as United and Arsenal slugged it out for Smalling's signature.

Smalling has still only played seven Premier League games for Fulham, four as sub, and boasts four Europa League appearances, a Carling Cup start and one FA Cup outing.

Now he hopes to play at the Cottage tonight and earn Fulham a semi-final trip to Wembley.

Though the last time these sides met in the competition - in the fifth round three years ago - Spurs romped to a 4-0 win in west London.

Smalling said: "I played a few FA Cup qualifying games with Maidstone. And I played against Swindon this season, I reckon that's been the highlight so far.

"I was at the back with Aaron Hughes and we kept a clean sheet.

"It led us to the quarter-finals and now we are one step away from Wembley.

"Tottenham are a handful for any side, they have international experience right through the team.

"When it comes to the Cup it all comes down to the day. I've been working hard in training and waiting for a chance to get back out there.

"Hughesy and Brede Hangeland are doing a great job, mind. I don't want to let anyone down. I started the season with Fulham and made my debut at the end of last season.

"It's been a great experience and although we're parting company at the end of the season I'm just carrying on as normal.

"I went to Australia last pre-season and that helped me get to know the first-team on a social basis.

"Europe has also been a great opportunity for some of the fringe players this season like myself.

"United have seen some potential and hopefully I can fulfil it. When I go up in pre-season hopefully I can be involved with that.

"I want to start strongly with United and carry it on from there.

"I haven't set a time frame on getting into the first-team.

"There are world-class defenders at Manchester United. But I do have big ambitions and want to go as far as possible.

"I've learnt from players like Hughes and Hangeland and now I want to take it with me to Old Trafford."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2880627/Thank-Fergie-for-Small-mercies.html#ixzz0hNjaho2x

White Noise

Harry's sights on a Swan song

By CHARLIE WYETT

Published: Today

HARRY REDKNAPP is dreaming of walking out at Wembley for the third successive year - but his ultimate ambition is to end up in the Dorset Premier League.

The Spurs boss, whose team faces Fulham at Craven Cottage in the quarter-finals later today, suffered the heartbreak of a penalty shootout defeat to Manchester United in last year's Carling Cup final.

Yet 12 months earlier, Redknapp tasted the glory of an FA Cup final triumph with Portsmouth over Cardiff.

While he hopes his injury-hit team can see off Fulham, the Poole-based boss revealed his likely final destination as a club boss.

He said: "I'm going to manage Swanage. That's where I'll finish, I've always said that.

"My wife's been taking rowing lessons - she can row me over there for training.

"Swanage is perfect for me, just over the water there, from Poole. Tuesday and Thursday nights, a bit of training with the boys. That's where I want to be.

"They are in the Dorset Combination or something. The manager over there rang me up one day and said 'Stop saying you want my job!'"

Yet before he can start thinking about top-of-the-table clashes against football heavyweights such as Hamworthy Recreation and Chickerell United, Redknapp is preparing for a Cup clash in west London.

He said: "I can't understand why people take it lightly. I see managers who are mid-table and suddenly they are putting out weakened teams.

"What for? Surely we can all win the FA Cup.

"Everyone's in there with a chance. We start the season and most clubs think they can win two competitions - the League Cup or the FA Cup.

"They aren't going to win the title so why not have a go?

"If you are bottom of the League and struggling against relegation, I can understand it.

"But when you are mid-table and people put out weakened teams, I don't understand it.

"I think some teams have had a go this year - Man City, Stoke. We played Bolton and they had their best team out."

Spurs will be without a host of players today and the injured list could include England striker Jermain Defoe who is now only 50-50 with a hamstring problem.

Redknapp added: "Fulham beat Shakhtar Donetsk over two legs which was a great performance because they were UEFA Cup holders.

"They're a well-drilled, organised team. Roy Hodgson gets everything out of them.

"People like Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora have had their careers resurrected. Roy has done a terrific job.

"It will be tough. We only have 12 fit first-teamers. We will have three kids on the bench.

"But we still have a few options up front. It was great to see Peter Crouch come on and score his goals for England.

"He took both goals really well and led the line great.

"His record with England is fantastic and I think he'll be a big player in the World Cup. He brings something very different."

Hodgson, meanwhile, is on the verge of clinching personal glory and a £4million pay cheque for Fulham.

Victory over Spurs means he will lead a team out at the new Wembley for the first time.

Advertisement

And Fulham stand to collect £4m by reaching the Europa League last-16 with two games against mighty Juventus which start on Thursday.

The former Blackburn boss, 62, has also been voted Manager of the Month for February.

But he said: "I don't like to define things but I hope people in the future will look back on Fulham in February 2010 and say 'They were a good team and a good club then.'"

Paul Konchesky is fit again after six weeks out with knee problems and Hodgson insists it is not too late for the left-back to stake a World Cup claim. He added: "I'm sure Fabio Capello knows all about Paul.

"It's not too late for him by any means."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2880655/Harrys-sights-on-a-Swan-song.html#ixzz0hNkLwFD0

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/we-will-rock-you/

We will rock you

Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 9:15 am

Here we go then.

In this morning's shower a vision came to me completely unprompted:  Gera would score the first, high past Gomes' left hand to make it 1-0.  DannyMurphy would make it 2-0 from the spot.   And we would win.

This may not be a piece of oracular wonderment though:  the next thing my brain threw up was the phrase "roche moutonnée", which is the geological term for a rock formation that looks a bit like a sheep.

My unconscious mind is freestyling today.

We're going to Wembley!

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5846

Spurs stats

by Dan on March 6, 2010

Not sure what to make of all these, but here goes:

Fulham have lost just one of their last nine games against Tottenham at Craven Cottage. Unfortunately, that defeat was in a fifth round FA Cup tie in 2007 – Spurs won 4-0.
The Cottagers have fired blanks in their last three league meetings with Tottenham. They drew at White Hart Lane on Boxing Day 2008, repeated the feat at the Cottage last Boxing Day and lost 2-0 at the Lane in January.
On this day 101 years ago, Spurs beat Fulham 1-0 in the FA Cup at White Hart Lane (according to the Guardian; although other sites have the tie listed as being played on 6 February)
Tottenham have a flawless record against Fulham in FA Cup ties: they've won all four (2007, 1998, 1984 and 1909). Only the 1984 fixture went to a replay.
Fulham are unbeaten in their last eight and have won their last five games at the Cottage.
Spurs have won their last three and you have to go back to Anfield in January for their last defeat.
The managers have Cup pedigree too. Harry Redknapp won the Cup recently with Portsmouth and Roy Hodgson won the Swedish Cup twice – in 1986 and 1989 – when he was in charge of Malmo.

White Noise

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/03/fa-cup-fulham-v-tottenham-hotspur-will-redknapp-get-the-better-of-hodgson.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29

FA Cup: Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur: Will Redknapp get the better of Hodgson?

Posted by Colin Illingworth at 08:54 AM 

Spurs haven't managed to defeat Fulham in the league at Craven Cottage since the Cottagers' debut season in the Premier League back in 2002. However, their last visit across the capital in the FA Cup in 2006 resulted in a 4-0 thrashing for the home side and Harry Redknapp would love a similar scoreline this afternoon to take his squad back to Wembley.

Redknapp, who of course won this competition with Portsmouth only two years ago, knows how important the FA Cup is to Tottenham and he will be desperate to bring the cup home after 19 long years. But Roy Hodgson will have other ideas.

The Fulham boss has transformed Fulham since he arrived at the end of 2007 and their recent Europa League win over holders Shaktar Donetsk is arguably one of the greatest triumphs in the club's history. Beating capital rivals Tottenham though and reaching the semi-finals of the FA Cup for the first time since they went on to lose to West Ham United in the final in 1975 will be another amazing feat for the former Blackburn Rovers boss.

Fulham are difficult to break down at home and have lost only three times at the Cottage this season but form tends to go out of the window in cup games. Spurs will definitely be hoping that is the case considering their recent record in west London and the fact they've only won five times away from home in the league.

Spurs have needed replays twice this season against Leeds United and Bolton Wanderers to reach this stage but with things hotting up in the race for fourth spot I'm guessing the last thing they want is another replay. Fulham's passage so far has been relatively trouble free. They have seen off Swindon Town, Accrington Stanley and Notts County so Spurs will undoubtedly be their toughest test to date.

A place in the semi-final is up for grabs and I think both sides will have a real go at each other and produce an exciting spectacle. Spurs are a good cup side but you can never write off Fulham.

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur; Kick Off 5.20pm 6 March 2010

Prediction Panel

Our panel contains both Squarefootball writers and readers, the writers are marked: (sqf).

Dave Blackburn : 2 - 1
Chris Cox : 1 - 1
Graham Enwright : TBC
Sue Gardener : 2 - 1
Chris Goodwin : TBC
Paul Grech (sqf) : TBC
Colin Illingworth (sqf) : 2 - 1
Hugh Larkin (sqf) : 2 - 2
Peter Lee : TBC
Don McMahon : 0 - 2
Antony Melvin (sqf) : TBC
Paul O'Meara (sqf) : TBC
Dave Nash : TBC
Stephen Orford (sqf) : TBC
Tony Ratton : 1 - 3
Peter Rendle : 2 - 2
Dan Taylor : 2 - 2
Andy Wakeman : 1 - 0
Isaac Williams : TBC
Mark Williams : TBC

Panel Verdict

It's too tight to call but Fulham may just nick it.

Home: 4; Draw: 4; Away: 2; TBC: 10.

* Do we have it right, or do you know better? Please don't bother with derisory comments on the predictions after the match - unless you also pulled us up before it!

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5844

Beware a barnstorming Bale

by Dan on March 6, 2010

There was, of course, one threat I failed to identify yesterday. Even injury-hit Tottenham – and I wouldn't believe Harry's claim that he's only got 12 fit players – possess a shedload of quality and danger could come from all angles.

Gareth Bale's had something of a stop-start Premier League career. Highly rated by everyone who clapped eyes on this awesome talent at Southampton, the Welsh teenager struggled to make the instant impact the pundits expected when he made the big-money move to London. Hardly surprising given his tender age, really. A common complaint early in his time at White Hart Lane was that the young protege was a little too naive defensively and he struggled to win a place on the left side of midfield given the other options at the various Tottenham coaches' disposal.

We all know about his Premier League curse but, even during that barren run, there were glimpses of what the kid could do. One of them came at Craven Cottage in September 2007. He ran riot down the Tottenham left, scoring a delicious third goal that looked to have settled the contest.

by Guardian Chalkboards

Spurs might have been rocked by an absurdly acrobatic Diomansy Kamara equaliser that day but Bale's ability wasn't in question.

He's slowly established himself as a regular in the Spurs team under Redknapp and provides the sort of extra attacking outlet managers love from a full back. This was evident on another fruitless trip to the Lane for Fulham back in January, when Bale finally got that lack of a league win when he started off his back. He was outstanding, carrying the ball deep into Fulham territory and delivering dangerous cross after dangerous cross. Granted we didn't give him too much defending to do, but the boy was irresistable.

by Guardian Chalkboards

It seems as though Bale has shaken off the knock that forced him off early for Wales in midweek, so Fulham will have to curb his attacking instincts. That will be easier said than done. Much of the responsibility for monitoring Tottenham's maurauding left back will likely full on the shoulders of a revitalised Damien Duff. The Republic of Ireland winger will have plenty of practice at tracking back and disciplined defending in Donetsk recently, though that's not to say such a heavy work ethic isn't always demanded of him by Roy Hodgson.

Like Tottenham's key midfielders, the solution would be to try and give Bale something to think about himself. Duff's willing to take on a full back and will need to occupy Bale in his own defensive third. A performance like the one he delivered against Birmingham – complete with another long-range goal – would be very handy indeed.

White Noise

Inside Fulham

Hear from Barclays Manager of the Month Roy Hodgson and Barclays Player of the Month Mark Schwarzer in this week's 'Inside Fulham' podcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Habib-Beye-must-take-a-massive-pay-cut-to-end-his-Aston-Villa-hell-with-Fulham-and-Sunderland-interested-in-the-full-back-article345237.html

Habib Beye must take pay cut to end Aston Villa hell

Published 05:00 06/03/10

By James Nursey

Habib Beye will have to take a massive wage cut if he is to end his Aston Villa misery.

Beye, 32, earns an astonishing £40,000-a-week after penning a lucrative three-year contract when he signed from Newcastle last summer for £2.6million.

But the right-back has only started five Premier League games for Villa and has become increasingly unsettled.

Premier League rivals Fulham and Sunderland are monitoring his plight.

And the defender is set to quit Aston Villa in the summer as boss Martin O'Neill intends to offload several fringe players.

But Beye will have to accept a significant wage cut should he get his wish for a quick exit from Villa Park

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Hodgson-eyeing-revenge-over-old-pal-Redknapp-article345623.html

Hodgson eyeing revenge over old pal Redknapp

Published 05:00 06/03/10

By MirrorFootball

Roy Hodgson will today be given the chance to pay back Harry Redknapp for the Spurs manager's summer swoop for Peter Crouch.

Fulham manager Hodgson - who was yesterday named manager of the month for February - wanted to sign the England striker when Crouch was on his way out of Pompey last year.

But a phone call from old mate Redknapp made it clear the lanky front-man was destined for White Hart Lane.

And Crouch - who struck twice in Englandís 3-1 win over Egypt this week - could now prevent Fulham reaching Wembley for the first time in 35 years in this afternoon's FA Cup quarter-final.

Hodgson said: "Peter expressed an interest in coming here and then we had some dealings with his agent.

"But it soon became clear to us he was on his way to Tottenham. Harry made it clear to me that's what would be happening.

"We're old friends and he rang me up to tell me. He said he rang me to spare me from any heartache!

"Peter's a very good player but as it turns out Bobby Zamora has been in wonderful form anyway."

Today's clash kick-starts the biggest 12 days in the club's history  that takes in next Thursday's trip to Turin to face Juventus in the Europa League, next weekend's clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford before the return meeting with Juve.

And Hodgson admits it's a measure of how far Fulham have come that the visit to face the reigning Premier League champions will take a back-seat in terms of the club's priorities.

And Hodgson added: "We know what's ahead. If we were to win there's a trip to Wembley at stake, our first for 35 years.

"I took Switzerland for a friendly appearance so my Wembley appearances have been very limited. I would look forward to leading out to but it would be great for the club.

"You set these goals at the start of the season and when you get close to them you know you are never going to have a better opportunity to cross that line.

"There is a glittering prize riding on the back of the next two fixtures. Man United is the one at the back of our minds."

Skipper Danny Murphy is a major doubt for the Cottagers with a groin problem but left back Paul Konchesky is back.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/FA-Cup-demise-down-to-over-cautious-managers-claims-Tottenham-boss-Harry-Redknapp-article345717.html

FA Cup demise down to over-cautious managers, claims Harry Redknapp

Published 23:00 05/03/10

By Darren Lewis

Harry Redknapp believes over-cautious managers are to blame for the demise of the FA Cup.

The quarter-finals are being staged this weekend but the competition has been outshone this season by the Carling Cup.

Redknapp believes the reason for the great FA Cup turn-off has been the growing trend to rest players in the earlier rounds.

The Spurs boss, whose side face Fulham today, said: "I can't understand why people take it lightly.

"I see managers who are mid-table and they are putting out weakened teams. What for? Surely we can all win the FA Cup? Everyone's in there with a chance. We start the season and most clubs think they can win one of the two competitions – the League Cup or the FA Cup.

"They aren't going to win the championship. So why not have a go?

"If you are bottom of the league and struggling against relegation, I can understand it. But when you are mid-table and people put out weakened teams, I don't understand it.

"Some teams have had a go this year – Man City, Stoke. We played Bolton and they had their best team out."

Ironically, Tottenham are without their best team today as David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Tom Huddlestone and Aaron Lennon are all out.

Ledley King is unlikely to play, Jermain Defoe is a doubt with a hamstring problem and Younes Kaboul and Kyle Walker are cup-tied.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-v-Tottenham-FA-Cup-preview-Jermain-Defoe-a-major-doubt-but-Harry-Redknapp-refuses-to-blame-Wembley-pitch-article345137.html

Defoe major FA Cup doubt but Redknapp refuses to blame Wembley pitch

Published 14:25 05/03/10

By Darren Lewis

Harry Redknapp has confirmed Jermain Defoe is a major doubt for tomorrow's FA Cup quarter-final clash with Fulham.

Defoe is struggling with a hamstring problem, which was aggravated in England's 3-1 friendly win over Egypt at Wembley on Wednesday night.

But while Michael Owen's injury – also picked up at Wembley in the Carling Cup Final - has ruled him out for the season , Redknapp insists Wembley is NOT to blame for Defoe's setback.

He said: "I have not seen the Wembley pitch for a long time. But Jermain did have a problem before the game, so I don't think that it would have had an impact.

"Michael has problems with his hamstrings before hasn't he? Sometimes people who run that quick, people like Linford Christie, once they get a hamstring, the hamstring just keeps going.

"Jermain's had tight hamstrings. The pain's run down his legs like sciatica. He felt it after the game at Wembley, he didn't feel very good with it at all.

"He felt his back was tight before the game and he'd been having treatment on the back of his hamstrings, but they all seem to roll into one."

White Noise

http://www.allactionnoplot.com/2010/03/fulham-spurs-preview-what-arrys-backroom-staff-is-missing-814/

Fulham - Spurs Preview: What 'Arry's Backroom Staff Is Missing

'Arry might already have the world's largest backroom staff, but at the moment the most useful person to have snuggled up between Joe Jordan Kevin Bond might be Florence Nightingale. Instead, we appear to have hired Darren Anderton's personal physician. Lennon, Bentley, Hudd and even the Lord of all things Sideways and Backwards are each out injured, meaning it will be the bare bones in lilywhite across the midfield today.

Our Makeshift Midfield – Actually Quite Tasty

However, as bare bones go, a midfield of Bale-Palacios-Modric-Kranjcar is still pretty blinking impressive. BAE should move seamlessly back into the team at left-back, meaning Gareth Bale will be shunted forward to left midfield. The handsome young Welshman is certainly capable of playing the more attacking role, but part of the reason for his success as attacking full-back has been that the midfielder ahead of him has cut inside giving him a passage down which to overlap from deep. It will be a slightly different role today, but he still seems a good bet to cause mischief.

Modders will therefore presumably take the central midfield berth, with Sergeant Wilson playing the role of his big burly minder, which would leave Kranjcar, fresh from wonder-goal exploits with Croatia, as right winger. It all sounds quite marvellous actually – pace, trickery and silky-smooth passing all served up on a bed of Honduran snarl – but the crucially sobering proviso is that one more injury and we're quite possibly doomed.

Not just tomorrow either – the return dates for Messrs Hudd, Bentley, Lennon et al are several weeks off, so if our top-four Premiership push is not also to be derailed the four who start across the midfield today will need to be carefully encased in cotton wool and that bubble-wrap stuff the minute the final whistle sounds. And if that sounds dramatic have a perusal of our subs' bench this afternoon, likely to feature the likes of Dervite, Rose, Livermore and Townsend. All enthusiastic young bucks I'm sure, but probably not the chaps upon whom we want to pin our top-four hopes.

Peter Crouch, International Superstar

In typically restrained fashion various tabloids have been heralding Crouch as the saviour of England's World Cup campaign. All well and good but his niche at the Lane is as Plan B. Natterings in certain quarters yesterday suggested that Defoe might have tweaked something in the line of international duty, but only such an injury ought to split up the Defoe-Pav partnership. Much more of the Russian's net-bulging antics and plans might have to be made to iron his 12 letters across the back of next season's lilywhite shirt. For the time-being however he is one of the in-form strikers in the country, and a good bet for a goal at some point today. It might not be the world's most complete striking partnership, but Defoe and Pav are two of the best goalscorers around at the moment.

Fulham, particularly on their own patch, are a tough bunch of nuts to crack, but even with injuries we ought to be able to grab at least a draw from this (and I certainly fancy our chances in a replay against this lot at the Lane).