more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (06/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 06, 2011, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ticket Update

Fulham Season Ticket Holders can purchase tickets for the Club's forthcoming Barclays Premier League matches against Queens Park Rangers and Everton from 9am on Wednesday morning (07/09/11).

Fulham take onQPR on Sunday 2nd October (KO 3pm) before entertaining Everton at the Cottage on Sunday 23rd October (1.30pm). Tickets for both matches will go on sale to Members at 9am on the 14th September. Members are entitled to a £5 discount on their ticket for the QPR match.

Tickets are now on General Sale for Sunday's Barclays Premier League match against Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage (KO 4pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/HomeTicketUpdate.aspx?#ixzz1XBvK7Y5p

WhiteJC

Schwarzer's Qualifying Journey

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer will be picking up some serious air miles during the current international break with Australia's World Cup Qualifying campaign now well underway.

The Socceroos first match in World Cup Asian qualifying Group D kicked off last week with a 2-1 win over Thailand, thanks to an 86th minute winner from Alex Brosque.

Australia then travelled to Saudi Arabia ahead of Tuesday's match in Ad Damman, where maximum temperatures are predicted to be 42C. Thankfully the match won't kick-off until 8.30pm (local time) when temperatures should drop to around 30C.

Saudi Arabia, who drew 0-0 with Oman in their first match, are now managed by Frank Rijaard, but the Dutchman will be without defenders Osama Al-Harbi and Abdulla Shuhail who are both out with injury.

After competing for Australia in Saudi Arabia, Schwarzer will return to SW6 ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League encounter against Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/SchwarzersQualifyingJourney.aspx?#ixzz1XBvbc3le

WhiteJC

Hughes he trying to kid?
Sparky not welcome

There was a chilling sense of deja vu on the bank of the Thames this summer as once again a successful Fulham season ends with our manager departing.

But whereas Roy Hodgson left to take the helm at one of the most successful football clubs the country has ever seen, Mark Hughes took his leave "as a young, ambitious manager looking to further his experiences." Choruses of 'Sparky Hughes is on the dole' rang out across Craven Cottage as we got our pre-season underway.

The biggest consolation of being left in the lurch is obviously the appointment of the man who was Mohammed Al-Fayed's first choice last season, ahead of Hughes. Martin Jol's appointment has generated an exciting anticipation about a new manager not been seen since Kevin Keegan came to SW6. His attacking philosophy will be a treat and providing we keep our tight defence on form, Jol's boys could be a force to be reckoned with next season.

I harbour no real ill feeling towards Mark Hughes. I enjoyed watching his Fulham team and he helped us to a very respectable eighth placed finish. What is not respectable, however, is committing his future to the club mere weeks before popping his resignation letter on Al-Fayed's desk. Hodgson did no such thing last year and so is still fondly remembered by Fulham fans. Hughes is not.

Enough of the past, time to look forward. Our immediate future is seven more matches required to qualify for the first round proper of the Europa League. To have anything to do with this competition is a joy for Fulham. OK so it is not ideal to start our season in June but if we achieve half of what we managed in the 2009/10 season then it will all be worth it.

proudest

The campaign leading to Hamburg was the proudest experience of my career supporting the Whites. Anyone who bemoans the congested fixture list and fear of burn-out just needs to cast their mind back to that magical season where the whole of Europe sat up and took notice of this little club called Fulham.

This term though we will be without a major weapon that we had in our artillery 2 years ago; the element of surprise. Our opponents will no longer look at us as an unknown quantity from London, but as the Europe League Runners-Up 2010.

15,000 spectators turned up on Thursday to watch Jol's charges as they began their foray in Europe. A 3-0 victory probably should have been more comprehensive against the fourth best team in the Faroe Islands but it is fair to say that the boys were only playing at 50% capacity. I would be perplexed if we failed to make the group stages but it seems Jol is taking no chances by putting his first choice team out.

One final note must be to acknowledge the players who have left Fulham this summer. Diomansy Kamara had a varied career at Craven Cottage but without his brace at Eastlands in 2008, we would have been relegated and for that I am forever thankful.

John Pantsil is one of the most popular players ever to ply their trade at Fulham and we'll miss his enthusiasm and laps of honour. He is a true gentleman who plays the game the right way, with a smile on his face. Whichever team takes him on is getting a fine right-back.

Lastly, Zoltan Gera; 2010's Player of the Year. After an indifferent debut season, Zolly came good and then some as he formed a telepathic partnership with Bobby Zamora and scored vital goal after vital goal in the Europa League. No Fulham fan will think back to that campaign and fail to remember the indescribable emotion that filled Craven Cottage as Gera hit the winner against Hamburg in the semi-final.

Thanks boys, much appreciated.

http://www.skysports.com/fanzone/blogs/story/0,,15162_7031934,00.html?

WhiteJC

GRYGERA RELISHING FULHAM CHANCE

Zdenek Grygera: Has joined Fulham

New Fulham signing Zdenek Grygera admits the chance to play in the Barclays Premier League was too big an opportunity to turn down.

The 31-year-old Czech defender was one of three first-team reinforcements brought in by Martin Jol on deadline day, along with Twente's Bryan Ruiz and Portuguese striker Orlando Sa.

Grygera joins the west Londoners after a spell with Juventus and admitted today he cannot wait to get his first taste of English football.

"In the short time that I've been at Fulham I must say that everyone, from the players to staff, has been very welcoming," he told the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com. "I feel really good and at home already.

"I'm really happy that I'm able to write another page in my career and experience something new.

"I think that I can bring a lot of experience to the team. I hope that everything will work out well here and that I will be able to provide something to the team.

"After having played for Ajax and Juventus, what's important for me now is to get used to English football and everything that is required from me to play well.

"The opportunity to play in the Premier League is a big thing for me. Now I want to concentrate on being here and doing well for Fulham in the Premier League."

The former Czech Republic defender has been training this week with fellow Fulham players without international commitments.

Grygera lauded the standard of players he has seen in his short time in west London and is hoping to make his debut in Sunday's clash against Blackburn.

"We've been working with a small group this week as a lot of players are away on international duty," he added. "There is a lot of quality in the squad.

"There are a few new players in the squad and you are always going to need a bit of time to settle in but we'll try to do this as quickly as possible.

"We all want to prepare well for our next match against Blackburn. I'm looking forward to being involved in games and discovering for myself the atmosphere.

"Even though Craven Cottage is a small stadium there is an atmosphere around the place that makes it a great setting.

"I hope that we win on Sunday and are able to move forward positively."

On Monday Craven Cottage played host to a high-profile international friendly between Brazil and Ghana, where Leandro Damiao netted the only goal in a 1-0 victory for the South Americans.

Reports emanated there were some issues in and around the stadium at the match, with the organisation of ticketing and crowd control particularly highlighted.

However, Fulham have downplayed the reports and believe the "carnival atmosphere" outside the ground led to issues that arose.

In a statement, the club said: "A large proportion of the crowd arrived late and without tickets, and those with tickets chose not to enter the stadium and remained on the streets, causing a period of congestion prior to kick off around ticket collection points and turnstiles.

"However, the majority of fans eventually entered safely and without further issues."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/06/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

Grygera relishing English chance

New Fulham signing Zdenek Grygera admits the chance to play in the Premier League was too big an opportunity to turn down.

Grygera, 31, was one of three first-team reinforcements brought in by Martin Jol on deadline day, along with Twente's Bryan Ruiz and Portuguese striker Orlando Sa. Grygera joins the west Londoners after a spell with Juventus and he cannot wait to get his first taste of English football.

"In the short time that I've been at Fulham I must say that everyone, from the players to staff, has been very welcoming,'' he told the club's official website. "I feel really good and at home already.

"I'm really happy that I'm able to write another page in my career and experience something new. I think that I can bring a lot of experience to the team. I hope that everything will work out well here and that I will be able to provide something to the team.

"After having played for Ajax and Juventus, what's important for me now is to get used to English football and everything that is required from me to play well.

"The opportunity to play in the Premier League is a big thing for me. Now I want to concentrate on being here and doing well for Fulham in the Premier League.''

The former Czech Republic defender has been training this week with fellow Fulham players without international commitments. Grygera lauded the standard of players he has seen in his short time in west London and is hoping to make his debut in Sunday's clash against Blackburn.

"We've been working with a small group this week as a lot of players are away on international duty,'' he added. "There is a lot of quality in the squad.

"There are a few new players in the squad and you are always going to need a bit of time to settle in but we'll try to do this as quickly as possible.

"We all want to prepare well for our next match against Blackburn. I'm looking forward to being involved in games and discovering for myself the atmosphere.

"Even though Craven Cottage is a small stadium there is an atmosphere around the place that makes it a great setting. I hope that we win on Sunday and are able to move forward positively.''

Last night Craven Cottage played host to a high-profile international friendly between Brazil and Ghana, where Leandro Damiao netted the only goal in a 1-0 victory for the South Americans.

Reports emanated on Tuesday there were some issues in and around the stadium at the match, with the organisation of ticketing and crowd control particularly highlighted.

However, Fulham have downplayed the reports and believe the "carnival atmosphere'' outside the ground led to issues that arose.

In a statement released to Press Association Sport, the club said: "A large proportion of the crowd arrived late and without tickets, and those with tickets chose not to enter the stadium and remained on the streets, causing a period of congestion prior to kick off around ticket collection points and turnstiles.

"However, the majority of fans eventually entered safely and without further issues.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/953287/fulham-signing-zdenek-grygera-relishing-premier-league-chance?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rover and Fulham eyeing Juventus ace Toni

According to reports Juventus are prepared to offload veteran striker Luca Toni.

The former Bayern Munich and Fiorentina centre-forward is understood to be well down the pecking order at Juve.

Galatasaray expressed interest in Toni last night before the Turkish transfer market shut.

A free transfer has even been mooted for the World Cup winner, who has admirers in England, including Rovers, Fulham and QPR.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/1210428-blackburn-rover-and-fulham-eyeing-juventus-ace-toni.html?

WhiteJC

IS THIS NEW FULHAM MAN THE SIGNING OF THE SUMMER?

In a transfer window which saw English teams spend a combined total of nearly £500million on new recruits, a wide range of talent has been brought into the Premier League this summer. With the usual talk of inflated prices and crazy wages these days, one transfer caught many people's eye as a very astute acquisition – Bryan Ruiz's move to Fulham. Martin Jol, who Ruiz admires after seeing him manage Ajax, obviously has the Dutch connection after Bryan spent the past two years at FC Twente before joining him at Fulham in the £10million move.

It seems like a great capture for Fulham, who undoubtedly needed to reintroduce some impetus and energy into their attack. Ruiz has averaged over a goal ever 2 games for Twente, with 24 goals in his first season in Holland. Anyone who can score over 20 goals a season, even if it is in the Eredivisie, is sooner or later going to attract attention, and Ruiz was no different with clubs such as Benfica, Tottenham, Valencia and Newcastle all reportedly watching the 26-year-old striker closely.

His style of play is versatile and can be of great value to the team in a striker's role. Not only is he the type of player that will get into the box and look to poach goals, he can dictate the play from the front of the pitch and help attacking situations progress in the final third. A good header of the ball, Ruiz will also look to get ahead of the defenders and lose a marker to provide an aerial threat. Hopefully Fulham will recognise this and utilise the wide men whipping in some crosses to dangerous areas, because they have men like Damien Duff that can do this.

Many of Bryan's goals, particularly in his first season were from close to the six yard box either pouncing on defenders taking too much time getting in position, or where he found a gap to receive the ball in front of goal. The defending in the Eredivisie was at times, shall we say poor, which allowed Ruiz to get time and space in the box that might not be there as often in the Premiership.

Players like Andy Johnson, who have scored 'poachers' goals in the past, have been of value to their clubs and prove that it can be a crucial part to play getting on the end of crosses and relying on movement in the box. Ruud van Nistelrooy was a great example of this, coming from the Dutch league, showing that if you can create chances, having the right man at the end of the move is what can win games.

There's no doubt that Ruiz offers a lot more in terms of technical ability, craft, persistence and composure in front of goal – more than his price tag possibly suggests. Have a look at the hat trick he scored in 5 minutes against Sparta Rotterdam for a great example, or the where he chips it over the keeper in a 2-0 win over AZ Alkmaar. However, he will have to work hard to fit in with a system at Fulham and learn to play an adapted style of football. He might not get the service, or time to waltz around the opposition penalty area this season, and may have to rely on an ability to carve out and convert scrappy chances.

Although many have said that Bryan Ruiz could play at one of the top clubs competing in European competition, I think that Fulham is a good place for him to embark on his Premiership career. He will have time to settle down and learn how to play football in England, getting plenty of first team opportunities.

He can concentrate on tuning his playing style to a defined role in the starting eleven at Craven Cottage and build up a rapport with his new team mates, whilst making a name for himself by having an impact at a club where he shouldn't be overshadowed by other goalscorers. However, I fear that Fulham may just be a stepping stone for Ruiz, and if he indeed waves his magical goalscoring wand this season to push Fulham towards Europe, he may well eye ambitions of a big move in the future.

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/09/blogs/is-this-new-fulham-man-the-signing-of-the-summer

WhiteJC

Grygera settled at Fulham
New signing eyeing home debut

Grygera: Excited by the opportunity to play in the Premier League

Fulham summer signing Zdenek Grygera has revealed he feels at home at the club already and can not wait to get his career started in English football.

The 31-year-old made a deadline day move to Fulham on a free transfer after Italian side Juventus agreed to terminate the final year of his contract.

The Czech Republic defender, who has 53 caps for his country, has signed a one-year deal with Martin Jol's men with the option of a 12-month extension.

Grygera began training with his new tram-mates this week and admits he can not wait to make his debut against Blackburn on Saturday.

Experience

"In the short time that I've been at Fulham I must say that everyone, from the players to staff, has been very welcoming, I feel really good and at home already," Grygera told the club's official website.

"I think that I can bring a lot of experience to the team. I hope that everything will work out well here and that I will be able to provide something to the team.

"The opportunity to play in the Premier League is a big thing for me. Now I want to concentrate on being here and doing well for Fulham in the Premier League.

"There is a lot of quality in the squad. There are a few new players in the squad and you are always going to need a bit of time to settle in but we'll try to do this as quickly as possible.

"We all want to prepare well for our next match against Blackburn. I'm looking forward to being involved in games and discovering for myself the atmosphere."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7154047,00.html?

WhiteJC

Kakuta reveals Cottagers snub
Blues winger opted for Trotters ahead of Fulham

Bolton loan signing Gael Kakuta has revealed he turned down the chance to rejoin Fulham in order to move to the Reebok Stadium on transfer deadline day.

The 20-year-old will spend the remainder of the year on loan with the Trotters as the youngster looks to accrue invaluable first-team experience.

Kakuta spoke to Daniel Sturridge following his time at Bolton last season and only heard good things about the club from the talented striker.

The French playmaker sees his long-term future at Chelsea and, despite having the option of returning to Fulham on loan, he plumped for Bolton.

Kakuta is looking forward to working under manager Owen Coyle as he is eager to improve his game before returning to Stamford Bridge.

Patience

"When you're young you have to be patient because you have big players at Chelsea that have lots of international and club experience," explained Kakuta.

"There were about seven or eight players in front of me with experience and that is the reason I came here.

"We will see what the coach (Andre Villas-Boas) will do, whether he will keep everyone or move some players.

"But I need to play as I am 20 years old. I need to get some experience and not play just 20 minutes a week.

Improve

"Bolton is a great club. I chose to come here because I think it is the right place for me to come to improve.

"I was supposed to go to Fulham and at the last minute Chelsea told me Bolton were interested.

"I asked Daniel how Bolton was and he said the people here were great and I would enjoy it a lot.

"He said the coach (Owen Coyle) gave him a lot of confidence. If he trusts me and gives me confidence I will be able to do my best.

"It will be a great thing for me to go back to Chelsea with more experience as the coach will trust me more at the weekend and I will be more of a first-team player."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11672_7154054,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham reject fan claims of crush outside Craven Cottage before Brazil's friendly win

Fulham have hit back at suggestions they were ill-prepared for the international friendly between Brazil and Ghana after fans claimed they were crushed outside the ground when collecting tickets.

Craven Cottage played host the high-profile friendly - won 1-0 by the South Americans thanks to Leandro Damiao's goal - and attracted a larger than expected crowd, many of whom had arranged collection of tickets on site.

Thousands packed the streets around the ground  shortly before kick off, but were met by chaotic scenes and just four members of staff on duty to check emails and credit card details.

Samba style: Brazil's Leandro Damiao scored the winning goal, but some fans were left angry

One eyewitness claimed: 'There was no queuing system, no barriers and for a long time, no police presence. There were, however, a lot of crushed people. I was pretty concerned.

'At one point, stewards were forced through the crowd in a bid to get a fainting victim out of the crush.'

They added in the Evening Standard: 'At 8.35pm, having been in the crush since 7.20pm, I gave up and left. I will be seeking a refund.'

Main event: The game is part of Brazil's extended tour of the world for friendlies

Fulham, though, released a statement claiming that a 'carnival atmosphere' outside the ground led to issues that arose.
It continued: 'A large proportion of the crowd arrived late and without tickets, and those with tickets chose not to enter the stadium and remained on the streets, causing a period of congestion prior to kick off around ticket collection points and turnstiles.

'However, the majority of fans eventually entered safely and without further issues.'

Meanwhile, new signing Zdenek Grygera admits the chance to play in the Barclays Premier League was too big an opportunity to turn down.

The 31-year-old Czech defender was one of three first-team reinforcements brought in by Martin Jol on deadline day, along with Twente's Bryan Ruiz and Portuguese striker Orlando Sa.

Grygera joins the west Londoners after a spell with Juventus and admitted he cannot wait to get his first taste of English football.

'In the short time that I've been at Fulham I must say that everyone, from the players to staff, has been very welcoming,' he told the club's official website. 'I feel really good and at home already. I'm really happy that I'm able to write another page in my career and experience something new.

Ready for action: Zdenek Grygera joined Fulham late in August

'I think that I can bring a lot of experience to the team. I hope that everything will work out well here and that I will be able to provide something to the team.

'After having played for Ajax and Juventus, what's important for me now is to get used to English football and everything that is required from me to play well.

'The opportunity to play in the Premier League is a big thing for me. Now I want to concentrate on being here and doing well for Fulham in the Premier League.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2034380/Fulham-reject-fan-claims-crush-outside-Craven-Cottage-Brazils-friendly-win.html#ixzz1XByKZUFz

WhiteJC

Hughes Looks Ahead!

As international football appears to be flavour of the week and with Craven Cottage having hosted international football, we`ll continue with that theme.

Whilst England sits very comfortable in their group, things are not quite so rosy for Northern Ireland.

In fact it is looking as if the Irish will need to win their last three games to stand any sort of chance of finishing second and participating in the play-offs.

Our own Aaron Hughes, likely to play at the heart of the Irish defence has his own philosophy as to how Ireland should approach the game against Estonia tonight, remarking,

"This is a must win game. When you get to this stage of the competition you have to win - to be positive but not in a gung-ho way."

"But if we get to the last 10 minutes and it`s 0-0 you have to throw caution to the wind."

It promises to be an interesting night for the Irish, let`s hope luck is on their side.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254289#ixzz1XBzBR1lc

WhiteJC

Are the Winds of Change Blowing?

Bwin's Burning Issue - should Capello dispense with the old guard?

Bwin has teamed up with Vital Football to give fans the chance to air their views on football's biggest issues.

Every Monday, we're inviting readers to offer their take on what we consider to be the biggest talking point of the week.

Today, in the wake of England's win over Bulgaria, our burning issue is: Should Fabio Capello ditch the likes of Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand in favour of emerging talent like Phil Jones and Chris Smalling?

So it looks like England have made it to Euro 2012. The Three Lions' impressive 3-0 away victory over Bulgaria, coupled with Wales' 2-1 win against Montenegro, means Fabio Capello's side will, in all probability, be playing in Poland and Ukraine next summer.

Three points ahead of nearest challengers Montenegro and with a healthy goal difference, only an unlikely defeat to Wales tomorrow and a subsequent loss to Montenegro in Podgorica can derail England's qualification bid.

Given the form they showed in Sofia, this eventuality can be discounted with confidence.

Indeed, England are now 1/100 to top Group G, with Montenegro 10/1 outsiders in bwin's group winner betting market.

However, Capello still faces some difficult decisions in the months leading up to the finals in June, with his squad and best XI far from assured.

The Italian's chief worry will be what to do with the established England stars who played little or no part in his side's win over Bulgaria.

With Frank Lampard a substitute and Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and Glen Johnson injured, the likes of Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Tom Cleverley were added to the squad as Capello gambled on youth.

The big question is, should Capello continue down this path or revert back to putting his faith in the players who failed so miserably in the 2010 World Cup? In short, is it time for a definitive changing of the guard?

Ashley Young, Joe Hart and Gary Cahill have all impressed having been given more game time in the wake of the South Africa debacle and there is no reason to suggest Smalling, Jones, Cleverley & co can't do the same.

Couple this with the increasing susceptibility to injury of England's older players and it is easy to see why the ruthless Capello could soon be tempted to leave the likes of Lampard and Ferdinand out of squads on a regular basis.

However, the danger in this policy is if a tendency to overhype English youngsters as potential world beaters comes back to haunt the country and a youthful side fails spectacularly on the big stage.

This is where the experience of the older players becomes such a huge asset - tried and tested at championship level, Capello at least knows what he will be getting from his senior pros.

But England's performances in recent years suggest this is the time to gamble. History tells us that the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Ferdinand are unlikely to get us past the quarter-finals, so why not roll the dice?

That said, not everyone will see it the same. So what do you think - would you rather see a young England team try their luck in Poland and Ukraine, or should Capello stick with the old guard? Should Capello go even further and dispense with John Terry, Gareth Barry and Scott Parker in favour of emerging talent? Or should the youngsters be jettisoned as soon as the big guns are ready to make a return? It's over to you...

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254294#ixzz1XBzPANML

WhiteJC

Finland find a way past ten-man Malta

First-half strikes from Lauri Dalla Valle and Roope Riski earned Finland their second victory in UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifying Group 2 against ten-man Malta.

Dalle Valle opened the scoring for the visitors on ten minutes and Riski doubled the advantage a minute before the break. Malta, reduced to ten men 11 minutes into the second half, set up a tense finale when Terence Vella lifted the ball over Saku-Pekka Sahlgren but Mika Laurikainen's side held on for the win.

Finland started the better of the two sides and took the lead when Rasmus Schüller found Dalla Valle who scored his second in as many matches to give the visitors the lead. Malta's best chance of the first half fell to Bjorn Kristensen but his effort was well saved by Sahlgren.

The home side, who made a promising start to qualifying with four ponts from three games before tonight, were reduced to ten men when Mark Scerri received a straight red card for a challenge on Schüller but Finland failed to make the most of their numerical advantage. Indeed it was Malta who got themselves back into the match courtesy of Vella's fine effort ten minutes from time. Mika Laurikainen's charges held on, though, and remain unbeaten in Group 2.

Malta host Ukraine in their next qualifying match on 7 October while Finland play Sweden three days later.

http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2013/matches/round=2000192/match=2006997/postmatch/report/index.html?rss=1671675+Finland+find+a+way+past+ten-man+Malta