more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (08/09/11)

Started by WhiteJC, September 08, 2011, 06:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

RUIZ WANTS TO PROVE HIS WORTH

New Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz has vowed to prove he is worth the money Martin Jol paid for him on deadline day.

Ruiz, 26, joined from FC Twente for a fee believed to be in excess of £10million to become Jol's seventh summer signing at Craven Cottage.

The Costa Rica international told the club's official website: "I know that a lot is expected of me but I'm here to make a difference - I want to do all I can for Fulham.

"This is an exciting challenge for me, possibly the biggest of my career so far. I have signed for a team that is continuing to grow and one that offers so many possibilities."

Despite the reported large fee, Ruiz is not worried about playing in what is perceived to be a tougher league than Holland's Eredivisie.

"The club paid a lot of money for me, I know that, but it is a responsibility I am willing to carry. I will react positively and hopefully I can take the chance that I have been given," he said.

"There were a number of things that attracted me to Fulham.

"Of course, there was the chance to play in the Premier League and for a manager that I have a lot of respect for. I know the way he (Jol) works and I'm confident that I can do all that he wants me to."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/07/SOCCER_Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Ruiz looking to repay Cottagers
Costa Rica ace keen to impress at Craven Cottage

Bryan Ruiz is looking to repay Fulham's faith in his ability by producing the goods on the pitch for the Premier League club.

The Costa Rica international was a big-money capture by The Cottagers from FC Twente before the summer transfer window shut.

Ruiz has had to wait to link up with his new team-mates as his work permit was being processed and he is now keen to get stuck in.

The 26-year-old knows the Craven Cottage outfit spent big landing his signature and he has brushed aside concerns his price tag will affect him.

Expectations

"I know that a lot is expected of me but I'm here to make a difference - I want to do all I can for Fulham," he told the club's official website.

"The club paid a lot of money for me, I know that, but it is a responsibility I am willing to carry. I will react positively and hopefully I can take the chance that I have been given.

"This is an exciting challenge for me, possibly the biggest of my career so far. I have signed for a team that is continuing to grow and one that offers so many possibilities.

"There were a number of things that attracted me to Fulham. Of course, there was the chance to play in the Premier League and for a manager that I have a lot of respect for. I know the way he [Martin Jol] works and I'm confident that I can do all that he wants me to.

"There were other clubs that showed an interest but already I know that I made the right decision. This is a very personal club and from the moment I spoke with them I felt wanted - and that is important."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7157303,00.html?

WhiteJC

1 Point In 3 Games...Not Good Enough!
by ALANDREWETT on SEPTEMBER 7, 2011

Many Fulham fans would have been happy with the first three games of the season when the fixtures were announced which included entertaining Aston Villa at home, travelling to Wolves and Newcastle away and thought there are points there to be taken. That would not be the case. not many fans would have predicted only taking one point with a string of poor performances. The loss of Zamora for both away games proved costly and the evidence is there for all to see, Fulham can't cope without him.

The big number 25 is a crucial part of Fulham's front line and has formed an effective partnership with Andy Johnson, whom has found it difficult of late to find the net. Both strikers started the Aston Villa game and both looked to rekindle the partnership which saw us finish 7th under Roy Hodgson. Although there weren't any goals scored in the Villa game, there were enough positives to be confident of a good result at the Molineux; This would prove to not be the case. The game against Wolves has to go down as one of the worst performances in the 11 year reign in the Premiership due to a lack of hunger, a questionable starting 11 and signs of tiredness (after only 2 premier league games...worrying).

The long trip up to Newcastle was the last thing any Fulham fan wanted after watching the previous two performances. The starting line up consisted of no out and out striker, no John Arne Riise and a rusty Chris Baird who made his first Premier League start of the campaign. With AJ left on the bench, questions had to be asked about Martin Jol who needs to try and get the best out of Andy Johnson before its a little too late. The game ended with yet another away loss, but a performance which was a little better than Wolves, but nothing to get excited about.

So, we're left with one point from three games, not the best of performances and only 1 goal. But, on a positive note, the capture of Bryan Ruiz, 26, from FC Twente may bring some much needed enthusiasm around Craven Cottage when Blackburn Rovers come to town on Sunday 11th September, 16:00 KO.

Although we are doing well in Europe, the Premier League must, and will always be our main priority so lets hope for a good performance and a positive result on Sunday. COYW!!!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/1-point-in-3-games-not-good-enough/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Gets It Wrong In Aftermath Of Chaotic Scenes Outside Of Craven Cottage Before Brazil-Ghana Match

The story that hit the pressers on Monday focused on Brazil's 1-0 victory over Ghana at the Craven Cottage. A wrongly issued red card to Ghana's Daniel Opare stifled what had been a lively friendly and forced the Ghanaians to rely on defensive tactics to keep the score close.

A few days later, another story emerged, one that occurred away from the pitch. Hundreds of fans missed the entertaining start to the game because of serious crowd control and ticket allocation problems on Stevenage Road, a street that runs alongside the Cottage. A lack of ushers and police available to control and alleviate pressure only made matters worse. It all lead to anarchic scenes on Stevenage Road.

As Richard Pye of the Headers & Volleys blog, who attended the match, described:

We arrived at the ground on the Johnny Haynes stand side to collect our tickets over an hour prior to kick off. We were directed by a steward to the two tiny white ticket collection booths close to the statue of Johnny Haynes where we found a huge crowd of people pushing and shoving to collect their pre-booked tickets. We queued for half an hour to get to the front and collect our tickets, during which time, no organisation or crowd control took place at all and the crowds continued to grow.

As we reached the front, I showed my proof of purchase email, complete with order reference number and gave my surname and address as requested. However, my tickets were not there. I was directed to a young girl standing alone who was holding a huge pile of tickets with the surname starting with 'P'. She had no security with her to ensure the tickets went to the correct person or even, in fact, someone who had paid. She rifled through this pile of tickets and could not locate my tickets. She summoned her supervisor who simply directed me to queue at the ticket office.

Pye was eventually given a pair of tickets, printed out before his eyes, for the seats he purchased. On his way to the turnstiles to enter the Cottage, he noticed additional tickets being sold surreptitiously for cash by stewards outside of the facility. Sure enough, when Pye and his friend got to their section, they found found a woman sitting in one of their seats. Surprisingly or unsurprisingly, depending on your perspective, she had the exact same ticket in her possession as he did. Apologetic stewards, of whom the Pye spoke of glowingly, arrived and found him another seat, albeit away from his companion.

Outside of ticketing concerns, he was privy to the legitimate danger outside of the Cottage and a lack of concern or empathy by officials in relation to it.

With the queueing of people at the ticket collection booths, people trying to get to their turnstiles with only a few minutes to go until kick off and people simply moving in all directions, we were trapped - I do not use that word lightly - trapped in a throng of what appeared to be hundreds, if not thousands of people. People were falling over, a man in a wheelchair was being jostled, a young girl in front of me was separated from her parents and was in tears and I was being pushed from behind, as was pretty much everyone in my immediate vicinity. Where were the police, the stewards; where was the direction, the announcements of directions or information? Where was the crowd control?

We managed to get out of this dangerous throng of people essentially by shoving and forcing our way through. I am absolutely stunned that no-one was seriously hurt during what was a horrible crush. This was by far the worst overcrowding I have seen in nearly twenty years of attending football matches and no-one, not the police, nor the club, were taking any measures to resolve or help the situation.

I shouted to a female mounted police officer who was stationed directly in line with the Haynes statue that there was a crush going on "down there" indicating the direction and said that someone was going to get hurt. I was blanked. Not even any recognition of my comment. Nothing. I said the same to a young steward also and, to his credit, he ran in that direction and I could hear him shouting directions and telling people not to push. On his own.

Why was their no support for this young man? Why were the police more concerned with telling people, and I quote - "Come on, head to the gates, yes it's busy but maybe you should have got here earlier"?

The last line stands out the most, "maybe you should have got here earlier?" It stands out not only for the lack of concern and desire to rectify the situation that it displays, but also because it turned out to be Fulham's official stance.

Sarah Brookes, Fulham's Director of Communications, told the Guardian:

"The fundamental problem was that people didn't want to go into the ground when they arrived at the Cottage. They wanted to stay and party in the streets and that caused congestion, which meant that some people had difficulty picking up their tickets. We had loudhalers appealing for people to go into the ground but they refused. You can't physically pick people up and force them to go in. We were a victim of people not wanting to go in to the stadium on time."

"The flow-rate [of people going into the ground] at 7:30pm [15 minutes before kick-off] was 266-per-minute, whereas for a Premier League game it would be between 500 and 600. That's why there were only 11,500 people in the ground at kick-off."

This would seem all well and good, outside of the reassignment of blame, if Pye had not mentioned that he had arrived with more than an hour to go before kickoff. At that point, things were already out of control.

Further, Brookes attempted to squash every other aspect of Pye's account (though, if you read through the comments, you'll note that he clearly wasn't the only one to share this version of events):

The club also suggested that the gravity of the congestion has been exaggerated and that, as far as it is aware, there was no threat to public safety. "I looked outside before kick-off to see why more people weren't coming in," said Brookes. "I didn't see anything that alarmed me hugely although I do see why some people could have been concerned. There were a lot of people with musical instruments and vuvuzelas and so on and if you're not used to that environment it might be unsettling."

Some fans have also reported arriving at their seats to find them already occupied by people who also had tickets for the same seats. Fulham say that is impossible.

"We're not aware of any reports of duplicates," said Brookes. "No one could have got into the ground with a forgery, our system prevents that."

The story hadn't received much attention prior to Fulham's response. Funnily enough, it was the response that lead to a number of appalled fans and members of the media alike to take notice.

Noted football journalist Jonathan Wilson, who was on hand for the match, acknowledged the hectic scenes outside of the stadium and shared his disgust towards the club's comments on Twitter.

Fans arrived late? Many who prepaid queued for over an hour. And, frankly, if I've paid for and collected a ticket, why shouldn't I turn up 15 minutes before kick-off?

And perhaps most accurately of all, Wilson said:

I actually wasn't riled till I saw Fulham's statement.

By all accounts, the affairs outside of the Craven Cottage were a nightmare, but not a travesty. Stevenage Road is a tight corridor on its own. When you couple that with a large grouping of fans, many of which were perhaps unfamiliar with the area, and what sounded like, despite the club's statements otherwise, a below average allocation of stewards, you have a recipe for disaster. While events may not have reached disaster-like scale, it seems as though that wouldn't have been outside the realm of possibility.

As Wilson said, the idea that fans are to blame for the crunch by showing up just prior to the start of a match, a weekday match at that, is absurd.

Instead of simply coming out, accepting blame, apologizing to those who attended, and promising to learn from their mistakes, Fulham chose to play it off as though there was no mistake on their part, and instead lay fault upon the fans.

The one party to lay blame upon, though, were the hosts. Instead of taking the high road, Fulham took the lowest and, in the end, come out as the bad guys in this mess.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/9/7/2411001/fulham-response-craven-cottage-brazil-ghana-match-9-5-11?

WhiteJC

Arsenal Transfer News: 8 Reasons To Be Delighted They Didn't Sign Clint Dempsey

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has had to endure a tough summer this year and with the Gunners suffering a 8-2 humiliation at the hands of Manchester United, it was imperative that the long-serving French tactician brought in some new players before the end of the transfer window.

The last few days of the transfer window were filled with hectic activity for the Gunners, who did manage to sign as many as five players though they did miss out on some other transfer targets.

With the injury to Jack Wilshere and the departures of Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas, it was imperative for the manager to strengthen the midfield for the Gunners. Wenger had many transfer targets and though he could not sign some of his targets, he did manage to sign Mikel Arteta from Everton and Yossi Benayoun on loan from Chelsea.

According to the Mirror, Arsenal were also apparently interested in a deal for USA international Clint Dempsey and Fulham demanded a fee of around £10 million for the midfielder. The Gunners completed the signing of Arteta and Benayoun by the deadline, and with the Gunners not reaching an agreement with Fulham, the USA international is still at Craven Cottage.

It is unlikely that Arsenal will again make efforts to sign the USA midfielder in the January transfer window and here are eight reasons why it was the correct decision by Wenger to not sign Dempsey. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/833064-arsenal-transfer-news-8-reasons-to-be-delighted-they-didnt-sign-clint-dempsey?

WhiteJC

More Than Talent

The international break saw Fabio Capello serve up some home truths to one of the Premiership's biggest names.

Andy Carroll, yet to set the world alight at Liverpool, was warned by the England manager to change his ways if he wanted to remain part of the national squad. The most expensive player in the domestic game, Liverpool having coughed up £35million pounds last January to lure their man away from Newcastle, Carroll was warned to curb his alcohol intake and take a hard look at his lifestyle. Fabio, with his less than perfect grasp of English and understandable lack of grass roots contacts throughout the domestic game, would not have sat down for this fatherly chat ahead of the Bulgaria game without drawing on information from sources closer to the player. So alarm bells must be ringing in a few quarters regarding Carroll's tendency to stray - again - from the straight and narrow.

The boy has form, even before landing at Liverpool, a city with vices aplenty to tempt the impressionable, the immature and the overpaid young footballer. At Newcastle Andy managed two appearances before the beak inside a year for assault, once inside a night club when he was fuelled up on booze (rumoured to have been over 20 cocktails), then slapping his girlfriend around after a row. Magistrates ordered him to lodge with club captain Kevin Nolan.

None of us expect our sportsmen to lead monastic lives. The only surprising aspect of the story above is that we don't hear of more such cases. I've seen plenty of internationals at airports, along quiet hotel corridors or on their hols lighting up. Boozing all the way back on the team bus after a big away win was common currency right up to the modern era, it probably still goes on down the lower leagues. I've even sat at restaurant tables quaffing quality French reds with half the Moroccan national side, devout Muslims to a man presumably.

Capello's warning to Carroll made headlines, but was quickly engulfed as England won their two qualifiers without him and we moved on to purely football matters. I would have forgotten it too had I not leafed through some old Fulham fanzines and came upon an article that got me thinking. Thinking about footballers who squander their talent.

Breaking up the tedium of a weekend without Fulham action, I turned up two fanzines from our seminal season of 1996-7. Diehards won't need telling this of course saw our return under Mickey Adams from the brink of extinction. 17th in the fourth division the previous season, penniless and in real peril of being evicted from Craven Cottage, we had just come through a dreadful campaign which saw us finish in the lowest position in our history, and as the bottom club in London. Yes, even below Barnet, who had thumped us 3-0 on the final day of a dismal season.

From chairman to charlady the club was a total shambles. There was a chasm of deep suspicion between the board and supporters, gates were averaging around 4,000, and the football being played under a manager who could not even get the players fit was pathetic. Our centre-forward at the time was Scotsman Mike Conroy, a journeyman pro at 30 whose salad days seemed long behind him. The club had burned the last £60,000 they had on signing him from Preston. When being shown a yellow during the last months of that awful season at Cambridge our long-suffering band of travelling fans (to our shame) led the chanting "Off,off, off!" It was, as the player himself said in print, 'dog's abuse from the home fans for much of the season.'

© Getty Images
Fulham score, but where's the fans?

Toofif editor David Lloyd's first issue for that new season harked back to the humiliating last day defeat at Barnet, yet presciently, and with nothing more to go on than a hunch, David, before a ball had been kicked, predicted the side under Adams would make promotion. So, fast forward to David's Spring issue, which contains a long interview with our new Superhero, who for a spell that winter was the leading scorer in all four divisions, ending the season with 23 goals as we went up. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the self same Mike Conroy! Sensitive and loyal to the cause in equal measure, in the piece Conroy refers to the hostility he'd endured, and admitted, "though everyone's happy we're top and I'm knocking them in, I don't forget." Hmmm...but the next paragraph goes on to speak of Mike's upbringing on the Clyde, his philosophy in football and his integrity. Let me quote: "Teetotal and a non-smoker, Conroy was taught at an early age to always give of his best (he had six clubs before joining us). Professional football offers a short career, stressed his father, you owe it to yourself to pursue it with single-minded dedication."

Here's Mike in his own words from the article. "I watch some of my fellow professionals ruin their careers through stupidity. They allow drink and drugs to wreck their lives. They have no idea how lucky they are, how privileged we are to be playing this game for a living. For a while at Clydebank I had to go out to work. It was a real eye-opener, slogging your guts out every hour of the day for a paltry wage. Every professional footballer should have that sort of experience. I am incredibly lucky."

For our Australasian Whites, as I'm sure they know, Mike settled in Australia and is nowadays I believe coaching amateur sides in Victoria. If you can get him along to a function, although not a natural speaker, he'll give you top value talking about his roller coaster career at Fulham. He scored one of the greatest goals I ever saw from any Fulham side at Wycombe in the League Cup, arrowing a left-foot shot home from two yards inside his own half. David Lloyd and I were standing together on halfway, and believe me, he meant it!

D'ya think Andy Carroll's ever heard of Mike Conroy?

Coundown to Blackburn coming up this week as we get back to action Sunday, and yes, Bryan's got his work permit and has been training with the team.

COYW! Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/09/more_than_talent.php?

White Noise

Fulham form suggests Hughes was shrewd

With just one point from their first three games and a host of new and exotic names in their squad, Fulham are a team very much in transition.

But as they take their time building a new foundation under Martin Jol, could it be that his predecessor, Mark Hughes, saw the writing on the wall?

The Welshman was interested in the Aston Villa vacancy when he walked out in the summer, whatever was said officially. But he left without having secured the job in what looked like a calculated gamble.

Maybe Hughes was unsure of adding to his reputation at Fulham anyway, regardless of the possibilities at Villa.

Further rejuvenation of his squad was definitely required and, unless new forward Brian Ruiz is a revelation, his old club will have to run just to stand still in the Premier League this season.

Hughes, by contrast, appears ruthlessly ambitious at worst after joining the ranks of out of work managers. But his managerial capabilities or, at least, how they are perceived, cannot be harmed by what could be a pretty tough season at Fulham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2034583/Luka-Modric-starred-Croatia-Spurs-expect--Leos-London.html#ixzz1XL4cURbc

nevzter

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 08, 2011, 06:55:24 AM

Arsenal Transfer News: 8 Reasons To Be Delighted They Didn't Sign Clint Dempsey

A very good read of over-inflated, pompous, rubbish.  And yet, it does acknowledge that Arsenal wanted to short-change Fulham for any deal for Dempsey.  I'll respectfully omit my expletive laden comments.

...and I'm quaking in my boots over the thoughts of Yossi attacking against my club as compared to Dempsey...for feck's sake.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

WhiteJC

Malbranque set for Premier League return after retirement u-turn

Former Sunderland and Fulham midfielder Steed Malbranque is set for a return to the Premier League as a free agent.

The 31-year-old's two-year contract at St Etienne was terminated just three weeks after he joined the French club and as he is available on a free he can move outside the transfer window.

Shortly after making his debut for St Etienne Malbranque announced that he was retiring from football for personal reasons, only to change his mind a few days later.

But as the French club had already signed winger Max Gradel from Leeds as a replacement, Malbranque's contract was terminated.

St Etienne released a statement saying: 'At a meeting held Monday night between the management of AS St Etienne and Steed Malbranque, both parties have decided, by mutual agreement, to amicably end their collaboration.

'This choice is his alone and ASSE fully respects Steed's will.

'The management of AS St Etienne would like to wish Steed the best in his choices and his future life.'

That has now paved the way for Malbranque to re-join the league where he spent 10 years playing for Fulham, Tottenham and Sunderland.

Experienced campaigner: Malbranque spent five years at Fulham

It had been reported that Malbranque was retiring to care for his cancer-stricken son, but a statement released by solicitors working on the instruction of Malbranque's agent, Sebastien Boisseau, made clear the Frenchman does not have a son and that no member of his immediate family was in ill health.

And St Etienne also confirmed: 'St Etienne and the player would like to strongly deny all the rumours referring to the health of Steed Malbranque or children that accompanied the decision of the individual.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2034999/Steed-Malbranque-set-Premier-League-return.html#ixzz1XNVtGJzk

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz keen to prove to Fulham he's a real wise buy at £10m
New Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz has vowed to prove he is worth the money Martin Jol paid for him on deadline day.

Costa lot: Bryan Ruiz is out show Fulham what he can do (Picture: Getty Images)

Ruiz, 26, joined from FC Twente for a fee believed to be over £10million to become Jol's seventh summer signing.

And the Costa Rica international said: 'I know a lot is expected of me but I'm here to make a difference.

'This is an exciting challenge for me, possibly the biggest of my career so far.

'I have signed for a team continuing to grow and one that offers so many possibilities.'

Many foreign imports to the Premier League have trouble adjusting to life in England - especially when a high price-tag is involved.

But Ruiz has said he will use the pressure as an added motivation.

'The club paid a lot of money for me but it is a responsibility I am willing to carry,' he said.

'I will react positively and hopefully I can take the chance that I have been given.

'There were a number of things that attracted me to Fulham. Of course, there was the chance to play in the Premier League and for a manager I have a lot of respect for.

'I know the way he [Jol] works and I'm confident I can do all that he wants me to.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/874811-bryan-ruiz-keen-to-prove-to-fulham-hes-a-real-wise-buy-at-10m#ixzz1XNWSALfF

WhiteJC

Keanu Marsh-Brown looking for the Fulham connection at Dundee United
Keanu Marsh-Brown hopes the Fulham connection can propel Dundee United to success this season.

The 19-year-old winger has joined Craven Cottage team-mate Lauri Dalla Valle in signing on loan at Tannadice and reckons they can forge a successful partnership.

The pair are regular partners in the Premiership side's reserves and already have an understanding of each other's game.

Marsh-Brown, who spent time on loan with MK Dons last season, could make his debut against Rangers on Saturday.

The Englishman joined up with United for the first time on Wednesday after agreeing his deal 24 hours before last week's transfer deadline, and is desperate to persuade boss Peter Houston he is ready to face the Gers.

He said: "I had my first training session on Wednesday with the boys, it was really good.

"Everyone I spoke to about coming to Dundee United was really positive.

"I asked Billy McKinlay about it because I knew he played here and he said it would be a great move for me.

"And I also talked with Lauri too because he was already here and had played a game."

He added: "He said the dressing room was great and the club were really looking after him so it was really encouraging.

"I have played with Lauri before plenty times in the reserves so we know each other's game.

"I know what kind of runs he likes to make and also he knows what I'm all about so I'd like to think that will be a positive for Dundee United.

"Hopefully the pair of us can have a really successful time at Tannadice."

'Excite the fans'
Houston has predicted Marsh-Brown will thrill the fans with his direct approach — and the player aims to please.

His knowledge of the SPL has so far been limited to watching occasional Old Firm games on television and admits he is excited at the prospect of making his debut this weekend.

Marsh-Brown said: "I hope to be able to excite the fans. I like to get the ball on the wing, beat a man and get forward as much as possible.

"I like to get the ball into the box as well so hopefully I'll be able to set goals up for the strikers here.

"Obviously it will take time to adapt to the SPL. I don't know that much about it apart from some games I have seen on the television."

United are waiting on striker Dalla Valle and Gavin Gunning to return from international duty with Finland and Ireland respectively.

Houston said: "Lauri scored for Finland against Malta and Gavin played for Ireland.

"We have been in touch with the pair of them and they're fine so they'll come straight back in to training."

However midfielder Scott Allan has picked up a thigh strain playing for the Scotland under-21s so is a doubt for this weekend.

Club captain Jon Daly has targeted a return to action in time for the Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Inverness a week on Saturday.

The striker has been struggling with a knee injury, which forced him to sit out the 3-3 draw with St Johnstone in United's last SPL outing.

He expects to remain on the sidelines when Rangers visit but is not anticipating a lengthy lay-off.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Football/article/17110/keanu-marsh-brown-looking-for-the-fulham-connection-at-dundee-united.html?

WhiteJC

French frontman issues Fulham plea

ANDRE-PIERRE Gignac is hoping Fulham come back for him in the January transfer window.

The Marseille and France striker's plans for a switch to Craven Cottage last week were crushed at the 11th hour after he was wooed by Whites boss Martin Jol. Gignac thought he had put a troubled past behind him at IO'M only for his parent club to demand his immediate return.

Marseille had been let down by their own transfer targets and needed Gignac to cover gaps instead.
And although the 25-year-old with 16 caps has publicly vowed to knuckle down at the Stade Velédrome, he's told friends he does not see much future under former Chelsea midfielder Didier Deschamps, now coach with the French giants.

A source close to Gignac said: "If Deschamps didn't want Andre before, he's not going to make any special considerations for him now.

"Andre liked what he saw at Fulham, and hit it off straight away with Jol."

The player himself admitted he wanted to join the Whites and play in the Premiership.

He added: "We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham and I decided to listen to the London side.

"We went there and immediately we felt their interest was concrete and serious.

"We spent the evening with coach Martin Jol and his wife. On Wednesday (transfer deadline day) we had a medical. It was a wonderful welcome.

"At 10.30pm, Marseille called me to return because my forward replacement would not come. Three minutes after calling me to come back to Marseille, I was called again as there was an opportunity to go to Sunderland.

"I could not reply 'yes' to Sunderland and 'no' to Fulham because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with Gyan."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/08/french-frontman-issues-fulham-plea-82029-29386722/?#ixzz1XNX81pu4

WhiteJC

Get In Gear

Ahead of Fulham's opening UEFA Europa League group stage match against FC Twente at Craven Cottage on Thursday 15th September, supporters can pre-order some fantastic FFC Europa League merchandise.

The brand new 2011/12 UEFA Europa League merchandise is now available for you to pre-order and with some fantastic products this is a selection not to be missed!

Fulham FC are proud to present the official and exclusive UEFA Europa League home shirt to be worn in this season's European campaign. This version of the home shirt features the fantastic Europa League patch applied to the right sleeve, and is also available with a European name and number for only £12 extra. With sizes for both adults and children this is the ideal shirt to cheer on the lads while watching some European action!

Also featuring in the UEFA Europa League exclusive range is the fantastic black Fulham FC softshell jacket. It has an embroidered UEFA Europa League Logo to the left arm and FFC Crest to the left chest as worn, extra features includes a breathable, bonded microfleece lining and will guarantee to keep you warm. It is now available for pre-order for delivery from 26th Sept 2011, so why not order yours today?

The UEFA Europa Fleece scarf is a real must for watching all the Europa League games at Craven Cottage, so make sure you are wrapped up warm with this great Europa fleece scarf and pre-order yours today for delivery from 26th Sept 2011.

10% Discount for Season Ticket Holders

Don't forget the Fulham Season Ticket offers a variety of additional benefits. For this season and through to 30th June 2012, 2011/12 Season Ticket holders are entitled to a 10% discount on a variety of Fulham products including the all new UEFA Europa League Merchandise.

Tickets for Fulham's opening UEFA Europa League group game against FC Twente at Craven Cottage on Thursday 15th September are now on General Sale!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/UEFAEuropaLeagueMerchandise.aspx?#ixzz1XNXZ0OJV

WhiteJC

Gignac eyes Fulham switch

ANDRE-PIERRE Gignac is hoping Fulham come back for him in the January transfer window.

The Marseille and France striker's plans for a switch to Craven Cottage last week were crushed at the 11th hour after he was wooed by Whites boss Martin Jol. Gignac thought he had put a troubled past behind him at IO'M only for his parent club to demand his immediate return.

Marseille had been let down by their own transfer targets and needed Gignac to cover gaps instead.

And although the 25-year-old with 16 caps has publicly vowed to knuckle down at the Stade Velédrome, he's told friends he does not see much future under former Chelsea midfielder Didier Deschamps, now coach with the French giants.

A source close to Gignac said: "If Deschamps didn't want Andre before, he's not going to make any special considerations for him now.

The player himself admitted he wanted to join the Whites and play in the Premiership.

He added: "We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham and I decided to listen to the London side.

"We spent the evening with coach Martin Jol and his wife. On Wednesday (transfer deadline day) we had a medical. It was a wonderful welcome.

"At 10.30pm, Marseille called me to return because my forward replacement would not come. Three minutes after calling me to come back to Marseille, I was called again as there was an opportunity to go to Sunderland.

"I could not reply 'yes' to Sunderland and 'no' to Fulham because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with Gyan."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/09/08/gignac-eyes-fulham-switch-64767-29386861/?

WhiteJC

Fulham deadline day target reveals Sunderland rejection
Fulham - Andre-Pierre Gignac would not sign for Sunderland after Craven Cottage welcome

French international striker Andre-Pierre Gignac has revealed the reasons behind his failed move to England.

The Marseille forward was on the verge of a move to Fulham after meeting Martin Jol and participating in a medical for the Craven Cottage side.

However, the Ligue 1 side pulled the plug on the deal, only to offer the opportunity of a move to Sunderland moments late.

It was a move the 25-year-old felt he could not make after such a warm welcome in west London by Fulham.

"We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham, and I decided to listen to the London side. We went there and immediately we felt their interest was concrete and serious," said the 16 cap international.

Despite the player stating publicly that he's keen to force his way into the fold at the Stade Velédrome, a source close to the player claims Gignac is again hopeful Fulham come back in for his services in January.

"If Deschamps didn't want Andre before, he's not going to make any special considerations for him now," said the source.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-deadline-day-target-reveals-sunderland-reje?

WhiteJC

Jol targets Fulham victory against old friends Twente
Published: Sunday 4 September 2011, 22.05CET
Fulham FC's Dutch manager Martin Jol comes up against his former side as FC Twente travel to Craven Cottage for their opening UEFA Europa League Group K game.

Martin Jol is plotting the demise of his former club Twente
©Getty Images

Fulham FC's Dutch boss Martin Jol will be up against his countrymen as the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League finalists take on FC Twente in their opening UEFA Europa League Group K game.

Previous meetings
• The sides are meeting for the first time in Europe and this is also Fulham's maiden experience of Dutch opponents.

• Twente are yet to win in 11 games against English sides, boasting the unenviable record W0 D4 L7 (W0 D1 L5 in England). Their two previous games in London ended in a 4-0 loss at Arsenal FC in the 2008/09 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round and a 4-1 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur FC in last season's UEFA Champions League group stage.

Match background
• Fulham have already played eight European games this season, since entering the first qualifying round through the UEFA Respect Fair Play system. They have won six of those and drawn two.

• The Cottagers are the only side to have made it all the way from the first qualifying round to the group stage this season.

• Fulham remain unbeaten in 20 European home games (16 wins and four draws) stretching back to their European debut, a 0-0 UEFA Intertoto Cup draw against FC Haka on 6 July 2002. They have won their last nine continental fixtures at Craven Cottage, where they have not conceded a goal in UEFA matches this season.

• Twente have gone four games (three defeats and a draw) without a win on their European travels since beating FC Rubin Kazan 2-0 in last season's UEFA Europa League round of 32.

Team facts
• Bryan Ruiz joined Fulham from Twente on transfer deadline day, but he is not eligible to play for his new club in the UEFA Europa League as he has already represented the Enschede side in Europe this season.

• Fulham's Dutch manager Martin Jol needs no introduction to Twente; he played for the club from 1979 to 1982.

• Jol and his Twente counterpart Co Adriaanse have been on opposite sides on numerous occasions: as players when Jol's ADO Den Haag side took on Adriaanse's FC Utrecht in the 1970s, and as coaches when Jol's Roda JC and RKC Waalwijk teams took on Willem II, AFC Ajax and AZ Alkmaar teams coached by Adriaanse.

• Adriaanse (2000-01) and Jol (2009-10) were both Ajax coaches at one stage in their careers.

• Twente's Nacer Chadli and Fulham's Moussa Dembélé are Belgian international team-mates. Dembélé also made his name in Dutch football with spells at Willem (2005-06) and AZ (2006-10).

• Twente's Denny Landzaat previously played in England for Wigan Athletic FC from 2006 to 2008.

• Fulham's Czech defender Zdeněk Grygera played in the Netherlands for Ajax from 2003 to 2007.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000272/match=2007296/prematch/background/index.html?rss=1669401+Jol+targets+Fulham+victory+against+old+friends+Twente

WhiteJC

Premier League preview: Fulham v Blackburn

Fulham and Blackburn hope to put disastrous starts to the English Premier League season behind them on Sunday when they clash at Craven Cottage.

Steve Kean's Blackburn, who finished just four points outside the relegation zone last term, have been beaten by Wolves and Aston Villa already this season.

In their most recent match they had their hearts broken by an injury-time penalty from Everton's Mikel Arteta in a 1-0 loss at home, after Blackburn had missed two second-half spot kicks of their own.

Martin Jol's Fulham have endured a woeful start, with an opening day draw at home against Aston Villa their only point of the campaign so far.

They followed that effort with a 2-0 loss to Wolves at Molineux and in their most recent start they were beaten 2-1 by Newcastle at St James' Park.

Jol's side has been hit by injuries early on in the campaign, with Welsh midfielder Simon Davies ruled out for at least two more months after a setback in his recovery from a knee injury.

Striker Bobby Zamora is a chance to return from an ankle problem, but new signing John Arne Riise is under a cloud with a groin strain.

Kean has worries of his own, with midfielder David Dunn (hamstring), winger Morten Gamst Pedersen (hamstring) and defender Ryan Nelsen (knee) battling to be fit.

Kean will, however, be able to call on his new signings for the clash, with striker Yakubu and centre-back Scott Dann playing their first games for the club in a closed-doors friendly against Celtic on Tuesday.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/September/08/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-blackburn/?

WhiteJC

FULHAM v BLACKBURN
HOME BANKER AT THE COTTAGE

Fulham remain one of the most underrated Premier League teams when it comes to playing on their own patch. Andrew Atherley explains why Blackburn have it all to do on Sunday afternoon.

The stats say there can be only one winner when Fulham host Blackburn in Sunday's live Sky match from the Premier League.

Both teams have made a slow start to the season and this does not look the most attractive fare to be set in front of the TV cameras, but followers of the stats will be keen to back Fulham, especially with Blackburn as the visiting team.

In the 10 seasons since Fulham joined the Premier League, Craven Cottage has been a tough place to visit for most teams, but particularly so for bottom-half finishers - a category almost certain to include Blackburn this season.

Fulham's home win rate against bottom-half teams in those 10 seasons is 62%, equivalent to average odds of 1.62. Of course, it is rare for a team to Fulham to be offered at such low odds, which means they have been one of the most profitable home teams to follow.

The strength of that record over a whole decade indicates that Fulham's home form has plenty to do with the unique surroundings of Craven Cottage, not just the managers and players who have represented the club over the years.

New manager Martin Jol has a lot to live up to, but also a solid base to build on. Even if Jol is new to the Cottage most of his players aren't and in the past three seasons Fulham have won 21 out of 29 at home to bottom-half finishers - a high 72% win rate.

Contrast that with Blackburn's poor record on the road since Steve Kean was appointed last December. Rovers have lost seven out of 11 and have conceded in all but one of those games.

That record looks even worse when taking into account that the majority of those away games were against teams ranked among the worst 10 home teams in last season's Premier League.

In four matches against the top 10 home teams, Blackburn lost three and drew one - in the only game where they kept a clean sheet. One of those top 10 ranked home sides was Fulham, where Blackburn lost 3-2 in March.

What Sunday's match boils down to on the stats is one of the most underrated and best-value home teams in the Premier League against visitors whose away form has deteriorated under Kean to the extent that their loss rate (64%) is the mirror-image of Fulham's home win rate, which is consistently in excess of 60%.

At 1.72, which indicates a win chance around 58%, Fulham once again appear underrated at the odds.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11120672.php?

WhiteJC

Gignac keen on Cottagers

Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac is hoping Fulham come back for him in the January transfer window.

The France striker looked set for a deadline day switch to Craven Cottage until Marseille pulled the plug after failing to complete the signing of one of their own transfer targets.

The 25-year-old has publicly vowed to knuckle down at the Stade Velodrome but knows the likelihood of starting much under Didier Deschamps must be slim, if the club were willing to let him go.

Gignac, who fell foul of Marseille coaches over his weight recently, revealed he was made to feel welcome by Fulham and especially by boss Martin Jol.

"I could not reply 'yes' to Sunderland and 'no' to Fulham because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with [Asamoah] Gyan."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/09/08/Marseille-man-keen-to-renew-/gnid-108329/?

WhiteJC

Encouraging Signs

Fulham's U18 team produced a scintillating attacking performance against Cardiff City last weekend, beating the visitors 6-1 at Motspur Park. For Academy Manager Kit Symons, the emphatic home win was all the more pleasing for the response his players showed following an away defeat to Barnsley a week earlier.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com on Thursday afternoon, ahead of this weekend's game against Birmingham City, Symons spoke of the lessons and improvements his players made in just one week to deliver an exceptional all-round performance.

"It was a really strong performance against Cardiff last weekend, especially coming on the back of a defeat to Barnsley," Symons explained. "We went through the DVD of the Barnsley game and spoke about the things we needed to improve on.

"Defensively we'd let in three against West Brom, but thankfully we scored seven and were then beaten by three against Barnsley. Six goals in two games, and being a centre half myself, is far too many.

"The boys worked incredibly hard during training last week and delivered an excellent performance. The first ten minutes of the game against Cardiff was pretty even but then we dominated the match and scored six excellent goals.

"We needed to tighten up defensively and we worked on it a lot and I was desperate for the boys to get a clean sheet. Their overall defending as a team thoroughly deserved that, but literally with the last kick of the game we conceded a really scrappy effort from a corner.

"That aside, it was an outstanding display, both defensively and offensively. We were really good but I was disappointed for the boys that they didn't keep a clean sheet, but going forward we were sensational at times."

In recent months three former Academy graduates, Matthew Briggs, Kerim Frei and Lauri Dalla Valle have featured in Martin Jol's First Team, with Matthew Briggs becoming something of a regular in recent weeks.

Whilst producing players for Club's First Team is Symons' primary goal, the former Fulham centre half clearly takes great care in ensuring all scholars are given every opportunity to succeed in the professional game.

"It's about getting players through to Fulham's First Team – that is what we are here to do," explained Symons. "Then it's to develop an individual to be a professional footballer. It they're not good enough to play for us then our job is to get them a career somewhere else.

"Obviously Kerim Frei has been involved with the First Team and Marcello Trotta scored five goals for the Reserves recently. It's great to see their development and other players coming on. It's really encouraging.

"If players cannot make it through to our First Team then they will go on and play for another team. Last year we didn't offer Michael Kamau and Aaron Pierre terms here at Fulham but they've both earned two year professional contracts at Brentford.

"That's really encouraging and shows we're doing the right things. Even if people aren't deemed good enough for us they can go and make a living and career somewhere else. That's really pleasing to see."

Fulham's Academy enjoyed a sensational season last year, reaching the Academy League Final but Symons is evidently focused on the long term development of his players that will prove far more beneficial to FFC than achieving short term successes.

"We're here to develop players," Symons reaffirmed. "You can set out teams at Academy level just to win games of football but we've never done that as a football club and it's not what we're about. Sometimes we play third year players because people need games. If that's the situation I don't mind that but we don't set out to win the League.

"You can play three third year scholars every week just to try and win games. Last year was a fantastic experience for everyone involved but that is not our aim from the start. Our aim is to develop players for our First Team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/SymonsAcademyReport.aspx?#ixzz1XNZzhEzv