more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (11/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 11, 2011, 08:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Will Rekindle Andre-Pierre Gignac Interest

Fulham are keen to revisit a move for Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac when the transfer window reopens in January.

Gignac was at Craven Cottage on transfer deadline day and poised to ink a season-long loan deal with Martin Jol's side.

However, Marseille's move to replace Gignac with Juventus forward Amauri failed and this quickly led to the plug being pulled on the 25-year-old's move to London.

Jol however has not given up hope of snaring his man – even if he will have to wait until January at the earliest to do it.

"We had the player here and thought we would get him on loan", said Jol, "but Marseille decided they needed him back.

"We have established a good relationship with the player and the club, so we will see what happens in the future."

Gignac himself has vowed to knuckle down at Marseille, despite a recent rift with coach Didier Deschamps.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2011/09/10/fulham-will-rekindle-andre-pierre-gignac-interest/48816/?

WhiteJC

CAN ROVERS KICKSTART AT THE COTTAGE?

For the Manchester teams, the international break came at exactly the wrong time, both sides were playing some vintage football and had managed maximum points from their opening games, for others however the break was much needed, Blackburn have not managed a point in their opening 3 fixtures and things aren't much better for Fulham who have just 1 point from a possible 9.

The Lancashire side are in a bit of turmoil it is fair to say, from being comfortable under Sam Allardyce they now seem to be flirting with relegation.  They imploded somewhat last year after they were acquired by the Indian poultry people and their safety was not assured until the final climatic day of the season, things haven't exactly improved after the Summer break however.  They strengthened whilst the transfer window was open, and obviously it will take time for these new players to bed down.  It was deadline day that perhaps brought the most well known names, capturing Scott Dann from Birmingham and Yakubu from Everton.

Whilst Dann is a great player, who, to be honest, I thought would move to a bigger club than Rovers, I am less certain about the Nigerian striker.  We all know how short Everton have been in the forwards department for the past couple of seasons, and the fact they allowed him to go on loan to Leicester in the Championship last season says quite a lot about the players current desire.  He was successful to be fair as part of Sven's revolution at the Walkers Stadium, but I am unsure whether he still has the hunger to be a decent Premier League goal scorer.  Clearly he will offer experience as he has performed reasonably well in the top flight for years, but he certainly isn't the savoir.

The biggest disapointment for Steve Keane so far will have been the opening day defeat at the hands of Wolves, they followed it up with a pretty conclusive defeat at Villa Park, and then a ridiculous defeat at home to Everton in which they missed 2 penalties.  To be fair they should have won that game, and that would have put them in a much healthier looking position.

For me the brightest spark has been the form of Canadian winger/striker Junior Hoilett, his ability to carry the ball, and beat his man is exciting and causes no end of problems for opposition defences.  The other good piece of news when the window slammed shut was that they managed to hang onto their defensive rock Chris Samba who I think will form a superb partnership with other new boy Dann.  Spirits seems high in the camp, well at least according to their manager and I think they can pick up a vital 3 points at Fulham this weekend.

Martin Jol and his men are already deep into their season because of their obligations in the Europa League, the match on Sunday will be their 12th game of the season and although they are going quite well in continental competition things haven't been quite as rosy in the league.  They have to be fair played some more difficult opposition, but they seem to be having some problems dealing with the quantity of games, something as a Manchester City fan I can totally understand.  I have a lot of time for Fulham and with Jol in charge I think they will have a decent season once they get up and running in the league, but being knocked out of their European competition at some point could be a real blessing in disguise.
To get back on track however, Blackburn need to register a win, it is going to be a long hard season for the Lancashire team and I fear they will face a relegation battle all season.  Some pundits have tipped them for the drop, but I believe they can stay up, purely because I think there are teams worse than them in the league already.  The takeover of QPR however will probably make this a much closer race since they now seem to be putting together a team capable of safety.

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/09/blogs/can-rovers-kickstart-at-the-cottage?

WhiteJC

Zamora and Ruiz set to start for Fulham

Fulham v Blackburn
FULHAM boss Martin Jol has no fresh injury worries for tomorrow's clash at Craven Cottage.

Bobby Zamora and John Arne Riise have both recovered in time to face Rovers, while Matthew Briggs is expected to shake off a knock.

Jol is set to hand a debut to new signing Bryan Ruiz, but Orlando Sa and Zdenek Grygera are likely to have to settle for a place on the bench as the Whites look for their first league win of the season.

"It's early, but I feel every game is a must-win," admitted Jol. "We want to be higher up in the league and do better than last year."

Simon Davies (knee) remains sidelined.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/09/10/zamora-and-ruiz-set-to-start-for-fulham-82029-29397563/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz - Fulham going Dutch
Summer arrival reveals Cottagers to adopt new style of play

Fulham new boy Bryan Ruiz has revealed that Martin Jol is trying to bring a Dutch football mentality to Craven Cottage.

Jol hopes that combining the physical approach of the English game with Dutch 'Total Football' will transform Fulham from mid-table to pushing for honours.

Ruiz looks set to make his Cottagers debut against Blackburn tomorrow, and arrives with a proven track record.

He was FC Twente's top scorer with 24 goals in their title-winning campaign in 2009-2010, as well as scoring a four minute hat-trick against Sparta Rotterdam.

And the Costa Rican is determined to make a similar impact in the Premier League, telling The Sun: "I have a desire to succeed at this level.

"The coach knows me well from his time at Ajax and has high hopes of me. He wants to develop a combination of English and Dutch football and that should be good for me.

"This is a new challenge for me and I am well aware of the demands of playing in England.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7166978,00.html?

WhiteJC

A First Sighting of Ruiz?

Fulham supporters will be turning up at Craven Cottage hoping to get a glimpse of our biggest signing of the transfer window, this Sunday.

It`s not often that Fulham splash as much as £10.6 million on one player but they did just that on the 26 year old Costa Rican, Bryan Ruiz, who has carved out something of a reputation in Dutch football.

Speaking ahead of the fixture with Blackburn Rovers, Martin Jol has give an insight into what Ruiz can bring to the side, Jol, having managed in Dutch football, is probably the ideal person to discuss the credentials of the striker, commenting,

"It was good to get him - he is probably the best player in the Dutch league."

"He was our prime target but a few other clubs wanted him but as soon as we had him in the building we never let him go again so he stayed with us."

"He trained for the first time with us on Wednesday and looked good. We had games of four against four and he scored three goals in six minutes so that was a good start."

"His favourite position is probably in the hole but in the Dutch league he played on the right."

"He wants to go inside all the time and look for the one-two`s and shot and prefers to play on the right. It`s a great quality to have if you can fill in three positions. He`s a bit like Damien Duff."

Will he start or will he come off the bench tomorrow?

That is the £10.6 million question!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254867#ixzz1Xct7vY4E

WhiteJC

Plan B!

Talking to the press, at his conference ahead of the fixture with Blackburn Rovers, Martin Jol gave an exclusive insight the capture of the Porto striker, Orlando Sa!

It appears that Sa may not have been the original target with that tag being stuck firmly on the Marseille striker, Andre-Pierre Gignac.

We`ll let Martin take up the story,

"As you know, the transfer window is a madhouse in England."

"Gignac wanted to stay but had to go back. First they said you can get him on loan and then they said, 'No we don`t have another player for him`, so they called him back." That was pretty annoying."

"Sa was our Plan B and he was waiting in the corridor. But I was very happy to give him more attention and the window has worked out well for us."

Not knowing that much about Sa, it remains to be seen what kind of impact he`ll have this season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254868#ixzz1XctKFhPJ

WhiteJC

Doubling Up!

Since the end of last season there have been a lot of comings and goings at Craven Cottage.

But with the transfer window now firmly shut and not opening again until January, Martin Jol appears to be relatively happy with his squad, remarking in the media,

"I`m happy now with the squad."

"We have almost two players in every position. Maybe not like Manchester City or Chelsea but I think we did well."

Personally, I think the squad is stronger than that of last year.

Does anyone care to agree or disagree?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254869#ixzz1XctYSySM

WhiteJC

Fulham v Blackburn Preview: Steve Kean Ready to Be Judged

These two sides have amassed a measly total of just one point from their opening matches this season; a statistic neither manager will be pleased with.

The Fulham manager, Martin Jol, saw his side earn that point from a goalless draw with Aston Villa on the opening day of the season while there have been defeats at Wolverhampton Wanderers and Newcastle.

Perhaps it was those two results that prompted the signing of striker Bryan Ruiz from FC Twente for the sum of £10.6 million in the transfer window.

Steve Kean has endured an even worse start, with Blackburn yet to register a single point after starting the season with three straight defeats.

That has resulted in calls for the removal of the Rovers manager from fans frustrated at the lack of progress since their team's narrow relegation escape at the end of last season.

While Fulham have been doing their best to boost their attacking threat, Blackburn's problems have been in defence.

Rather strangely, like Fulham they have played Aston Villa and Wolves, however on both occasions Rovers were on the losing end. Kean's side have also lost to Everton.

There were several new arrivals at Ewood Park in the transfer window as Yakubu, Scott Dann and Simon Vukcevic were recruited and could feature on Sunday.

Key Match-up: Bryan Ruiz v Chris Samba. The forward, Ruiz, arrived at Craven Cottage with a big reputation - and with a big transfer fee. There will be great interest to see whether he can repeat his free-scoring at Fulham. While playing in the Eredivisie for Twente, Ruiz scored 36 goals in 61 games and Jol's team need that firepower. It has been one area where Fulham have struggled in the past, particularly whenever Bobby Zamora is missing. Ruiz is likely to be given a rough ride by Samba. The towering defender remained with Rovers, despite plenty of speculation that he would join Arsenal in the transfer window. The centre-back will be instrumental in helping Rovers try to keep a clean-sheet.

Form Guide: Neither of these sides are in form. It could be argued that Fulham are marginally the better, having at least taken a point from their opening three games this season. In the past two years, the Whites have come off the better, beating Rovers 3-2 last season and 3-0 the year before that. Historically, however, Blackburn edge this battle with 34 victories to Fulham's 26.

Odds: Fulham 4-6, Blackburn 9-2, Draw 13-5

FULHAM
New signing Zdenek Grygera is looking forward to making his Premier League debut for Fulham against Blackburn.

The former Juventus and Ajax defender joined the Whites on transfer deadline day and is expected to slot-in to Jol's squad at right-back.

He told the club's website: "In the short time that I've been at Fulham I must say that everyone, from the players to staff, has been very welcoming. I feel really good and at home already.

"I'm really happy that I'm able to write another page in my career and experience something new. I think that I can bring a lot of experience to the team. I hope that everything will work out well here and that I will be able to provide something to the team.

"After having played for Ajax and Juventus, what's important for me now is to get used to English football and everything that is required from me to play well.

"The opportunity to play in the Premier League is a big thing for me. Now I want to concentrate on being here and doing well for Fulham in the Premier League.

"We've been working with a small group this week as a lot of players are away on international duty. There is a lot of quality in the squad."

Strategy: The new arrivals could mean that Jol is able to change his tactic. Ruiz is expected to become the focal point of their attack while Grygera will solve the problematic right back position. Brede Hangeland and Philippe Senderos will continue their partnership at the back in a 4-4-2 system that relies upon Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell in the centre of midfield.

Injury Update: Zamora (ankle) could make an appearance from the bench however the game comes too soon for John Arne Riise (groin) while Simon Davies is a long-term casualty with a knee injury.

BLACKBURN
Kean wants fans to forget the last nine months and judge him on what happens from now on after assembling a team he believes can fire Rovers up the table.

Kean's reign at Ewood Park has been difficult, with pressure growing after five wins from 24 league games since his surprise appointment last December.

Rovers head for Craven Cottage without a point after losing the opening three games of the new campaign.

But Kean is confident his side can climb the table after drafting around £11 million of new talent since the last game with Everton ended in a 1-0 defeat.

Dann, Yakubu and Montenegro winger Vukcevic have all arrived in the past two weeks and are set to feature against Fulham.

"I can understand their (fans) frustration with results," said Kean.

"Three games in and we don't have any points on the board. "What I said was bear with us and judge us at the end of the transfer window.

"Now we've got a competitive squad. For a first time in a lot of years there's genuine competition for places at the back.

"We've got different types of players too. There's lots of different combinations and different types of strikers.

"I'm delighted with the squad and I honestly think it's stronger than it was last year.

"I'm very confident we can put points on the board and climb the table quickly."

Strategy: With a game against Arsenal next week, losing is not an option. Rovers simply have to kick-start their season on the banks of the River Thames. While Dann is expected to partner Samba in the centre of defence, fellow newcomers Yakubu and Vukcevic may have to be patient on the substitutes bench.

Injury Update: Morten Gamst Pedersen (hamstring) remains sidelined while Ryan Nelsen (knee) and David Dunn (hamstring) are doubts.

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/09/10/fulham-v-blackburn-preview-steve-kean-pleads-for-patience/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz reveals Fulham going Dutch
Fulham new boy Bryan Ruiz has revealed that Martin Jol is trying to bring a Dutch football mentality to Craven Cottage.

Jol hopes that combining the physical approach of the English game with Dutch 'Total Football' will transform Fulham from mid-table to pushing for honours.

Ruiz looks set to make his Cottagers debut against Blackburn on Sunday, and arrives with a proven track record.

He was FC Twente's top scorer with 24 goals in their title-winning campaign in 2009-2010, as well as scoring a four minute hat-trick against Sparta Rotterdam.

And the Costa Rican is determined to make a similar impact in the Premier League, telling The Sun: "I have a desire to succeed at this level.

"The coach knows me well from his time at Ajax and has high hopes of me. He wants to develop a combination of English and Dutch football and that should be good for me.

"This is a new challenge for me and I am well aware of the demands of playing in England."

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/7167014/Ruiz-reveals-Fulham-going-Dutch?

WhiteJC

Jol rubbishes Dempsey rumours

MARTIN Jol insists Clint Dempsey never came close to qutting Fulham over the summer.

The USA star was linked with several clubs, with Arsenal rumoured to be interested in the £8million-rated 28-year-old, who has bagged 40 goals for the Whites since his switch from New England Revolution in 2007.

But boss Jol has played down speculation that Dempsey was set to leave Craven Cottage.

He said: "There wasn't a club coming in for him, a phone call or even showing interest and that was better because we don't want to sell him anyway."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/10/jol-rubbishes-dempsey-rumours-82029-29397664/?#ixzz1XcuWei4J

WhiteJC

Jol still keen on Gignac
Cottagers have 'good relationship' with striker and club

Fulham boss Martin Jol has not ruled out another move for Marseille marksman Andre-Pierre Gignac when the transfer window reopens in January.

The French frontman was a key priority for Jol to bring to Craven Cottage and was close to wrapping up a loan deal on transfer deadline day.

However the Ligue 1 side pulled out of the deal after missing out on the signing of Juventus striker Amauri.

Despite the setback, Jol has hinted that he may put in a further bid for the 25-year-old in the New Year.

"We had the player here and thought we would get him on loan, but Marseille decided they needed him back," he told the Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle.

"We have established a good relationship with the player and club, so we will see what happens in the future."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7167091,00.html?

WhiteJC

JOL SEEKS HOME COMFORTS

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits his side need to secure some points from Sunday's Barclays Premier League against Blackburn.

The Cottagers have been out of sorts in the league this season and have only managed to accrue one point from their first three matches.

Sunday's opponents Rovers have also started the season in poor fashion losing all the games and Jol has targeted a change of fortunes against the Lancashire side.

"I feel [the need to win] is probably the same as for the opposition," he said. "We need the points.

"It doesn't matter where you play, we need points and to get out of a situation where we are bottom of the league.

"All the teams that are there will tell you the same so they will try to win and we will try to get the result."

The Cottagers have struggled in their attempts to juggle league and Europa League commitments so far this campaign, with Jol admitting the west Londoners' poor start was mainly due to their threadbare squad.

The Dutchman subsequently bolstered the team with three new signings on August 31, bringing in Bryan Ruiz, Zdenek Grygera and Orlando Sa.

While Jol has expressed his delight at capturing the trio, he insists he will bed them into the squad slowly.

"I would have a worry playing all three of them on Sunday," he said. "We have got a good team and I wouldn't play all them. Why should I?

"We have a good team, especially at home."

He added: "I don't feel the programme helped, of course, because we played one home game - where I still think we should have had a win - and then we play three away matches.

"That is never easy and I think Fulham have won eight games in the last three years away from home so we have to do better in that respect."

Fulham's next Europa League tie is on Thursday against FC Twente, whom Jol bought Ruiz for £10.6million on deadline day.

The Costa Rica was targeted by several of Europe's elite and Premier League rivals Newcastle made a last-gasp swoop for the attacker.

Jol insists he never feared Ruiz would slip from his grasp and has warned the Fulham faithful that the 26-year-old will take a few weeks to bed in.

"Most of the people will tell you that Luis Suarez was one of the few that never had a problem [adapting to a new country]," he said.

"He fitted in straightaway but most of the other players will tell you that the tempo is a bit higher, the pace, the quality of the game is very good in England.

"It wouldn't be strange or awkward if they need a couple of weeks to gel with the other players.

"There was never a feeling that he would leave us or go somewhere else.

"Twente were good and everybody knows we have got the budget so everybody knows I am happy to stay within the budget with these four or five players."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/10/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

Cottage boss bemused at Dempsey claims

Martin Jol has rubbished reports that Clint Dempsey was almost enticed away from Fulham during the summer transfer window.

The Cottagers boss has spoken out following speculation that the 28-year-old United States forward was the subject of an £8million deadline day swoop from Premier League rivals Arsenal.

Jol claims that there were no enquiries for Dempsey, who has scored 40 goals for the Londoners since joining in 2007 from New England Revolution. And the Dutch tactician also confirmed that they have no plans to let him go in the near future.

Jol said: "There wasn't a club coming in for him, a phone call or even showing interest and that was better because we don't want to sell him anyway."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottage-boss-bemused-at-dempsey-claims-1280932.html?

WhiteJC

Jol looks to cure Fulham's chronic away day blues with victory over Rovers

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits his side need to secure some points from Sunday's Barclays Premier League against Blackburn.

The Cottagers have been out of sorts in the league this season and have only managed to accrue one point from their first three matches.

Sunday's opponents Rovers have also started the season in poor fashion losing all the games and Jol has targeted a change of fortunes against the Lancashire side.

Making a point: Jol's looking for a cherished away victory at Ewood Park

'I feel (the need to win) is probably the same as for the opposition,' he said. 'We need the points.

'It doesn't matter where you play, we need points and to get out of a situation where we are bottom of the league.

'All the teams that are there will tell you the same so they will try to win and we will try to get the result.'

The Cottagers have struggled in their attempts to juggle league and Europa League commitments so far this campaign, with Jol admitting the west Londoners' poor start was mainly due to their threadbare squad.

The Dutchman subsequently bolstered the team with three new signings on August 31, bringing in Bryan Ruiz, Zdenek Grygera and Orlando Sa.

Reinforcement: Grygera (left) and Sa (right) have just arrived in the recent transfer window

While Jol has expressed his delight at capturing the trio, he insists he will bed them into the squad slowly.

'I would have a worry playing all three of them on Sunday,' he said. 'We have got a good team and I wouldn't play all them. Why should I?

'We have a good team, especially at home.'

He added: 'I don't feel the programme helped, of course, because we played one home game - where I still think we should have had a win - and then we play three away matches.

Dutch courage: Ruiz has arrived in west London from Holland

'That is never easy and I think Fulham have won eight games in the last three years away from home so we have to do better in that respect.'

Fulham's next Europa League tie is on Thursday against FC Twente, whom Jol bought Ruiz for £10.6million on deadline day.

The Costa Rica was targeted by several of Europe's elite and Premier League rivals Newcastle made a last-gasp swoop for the attacker.

Jol insists he never feared Ruiz would slip from his grasp and has warned the Fulham faithful that the 26-year-old will take a few weeks to bed in.

'Most of the people will tell you that Luis Suarez was one of the few that never had a problem (adapting to a new country),' he said.

'He fitted in straightaway but most of the other players will tell you that the tempo is a bit higher, the pace, the quality of the game is very good in England.

'It wouldn't be strange or awkward if they need a couple of weeks to gel with the other players.

'There was never a feeling that he would leave us or go somewhere else.

'Twente were good and everybody knows we have got the budget so everybody knows I am happy to stay within the budget with these four or five players.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2035877/Martin-Jol-looks-cure-Fulhams-poor-away-form.html#ixzz1XcvboPOc

WhiteJC

Fulham v Blackburn

Jol seeks home comforts Fulham manager Martin Jol admits his side need to secure some points from Sunday's Barclays Premier League against Blackburn.

"I feel [the need to win] is probably the same as for the opposition," he said.

"We need the points.

"It doesn't matter where you play, we need points and to get out of a situation where we are bottom of the league.

"All the teams that are there will tell you the same so they will try to win and we will try to get the result.

" The Cottagers have struggled in their attempts to juggle league and Europa League commitments so far this campaign, with Jol admitting the west Londoners' poor start was mainly due to their threadbare squad.

Fulham's next Europa League tie is on Thursday against FC Twente, whom Jol bought Ruiz for #10.

6million on deadline day.

"Most of the people will tell you that Luis Suarez was one of the few that never had a problem [adapting to a new country]," he said.

"He fitted in straightaway but most of the other players will tell you that the tempo is a bit higher, the pace, the quality of the game is very good in England.

"It wouldn't be strange or awkward if they need a couple of weeks to gel with the other players.

"Twente were good and everybody knows we have got the budget so everybody knows I am happy to stay within the budget with these four or five players.

" Blackburn boss Steve Kean has brushed off any implications of a letter from fans sent to the club's owners asking them to consider his position.

Rovers have zero points from their three Premier League games this season but Kean insists his signings at the end of the transfer window have strengthened the squad to a position where they can finish in the top half of the table.

Kean travelled to India last week to speak to the owners, poultry giants Venky's, but insisted it was a routine visit rather than a crisis meeting.

Asked about the letter from fans, the Rovers boss admitted he shares supporters' frustration.

Kean said: "It doesn't make me feel bad at all, I have a great relationship with the owners.

"I can understand the fans' frustration that we don't have a point on the board right now but I think it's a minority of the fans and we share that frustration that we have not got points.

"I would say bear with us, we said 'judge us at the end of the transfer window'.

"I think we now have a stronger squad than we had last year.

If we can start getting points on the board - and quickly - then the top half is certainly achievable.

"One win takes you halfway up the table and we are looking at going down to Fulham on Sunday and being positive like we were against Everton.

" Kean said his relationship with Venky's remained "excellent".

"Every time I go there [people suggest] it's a crisis meeting.

It just happens to be the same day every month," he added.

"It's not a crisis meeting.

They are very happy.

I go once a month, we sit down have a lot of conversations and the communication side between myself and the owners is excellent.

" New signings Yakubu, Scott Dann, Simon Vukcevic and Jordan Slew are all in the Blackburn squad for their visit to Fulham.

Morten Gamst Pedersen (hamstring) is out however, while David Dunn is doubtful, also with a hamstring problem.

Ryan Nelsen will be assessed to see if he has recovered from his knee injury.

Kean spent eight years at Fulham, first in charge of the academy and then as assistant to Chris Coleman.

"They have a great chairman [Mohamed Al Fayed] who has a put a lot into the club, I have great memories and I am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces," added Kean.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/previews/fulham-v-blackburn-72623/?

WhiteJC

INTERVIEW: Corrin Brookes-Meade – Former Fulham and AFC Wimbledon; now Ermis Aradippou

Cyprus is proving to be a very popular destination for Rosbifs this season, as James Drobka will be telling us over the coming season. To kick things off though, our man reporting on the Mediterranean island interviews one of the Englishmen plying his trade there: Corrin Brooks-Meade.

If you put the name Corrin Brooks-Meade into Google, not a lot of information comes to light. What is found is that he was a promising Fulham youth keeper, who was then sent out on loan Darlington and AFC Wimbledon. Unforunatley he suffered a major knee injury in his first game for 'The Dons'  and was substituted. Subsequently, he was sent back to Fulham for treatmeant. For the past three years though, Corrin has been playing in Cyprus for Ermis Aradippou.
This interview took place while Brooks-Meade was still a member of the Alki Larnaca squad. He since moved to Ermis.

Les Rosbifs: How did your move to Cyprus come about?
Corrin Brooks-Meade: The move came about when I left Fulham at the end of the20 07-08 season. I had a few options on the table and spent one month with Bournemouth and Yeovil Town. During my time at Bournemouth I thought I did very well and they were impressed with my training and games played. In the back of my mind, I was hoping another option would come up because Bournemouth had financial problems and were in administration.
During my last training week I had a call from an agent saying that Yeovil were keen to take me down there for one week, then I would sign as number two. I took this opportunityand told Bournemouth that Yeovil wanted me to go for a quick trial then sign.
However, due to some problems I didn't sign a contract after a week and half of training at the club. On reflection I was a bit disappointed that I didn't stay at Bournemouth because it was likely that I would have signed a contract with them. After two weeks of being at home, keeping fit, I got a call from an agent with a good enough offer in Cyprus. I thought to myself that there are many countries where I can progress and gain experience as a professional footballer and also fancied a change, so decided to take the offer.

How was the lifestyle change at such a young age? Do you enjoy living there? Settled?
The lifestyle for me was not too much of a problem because I am one that is open to new experiences and different cultures, and I just like to get out there in the world. I had left home at 17 and had been living alone from the age of 19, so in that respect nothing has changed except for the weather. It's a lot hotter in Cyprus!
I really enjoy living here. It's a lovely island and the people are really friendly. The lifestyle is really laid back and carefree, which suits me. Cyprus also has an interesting history which I have enjoyed exploring. I cannot forget about the beautiful beaches along the coastline. I have lived in Cyprus for nearly three years now, so I would consider myself settled. The next step is speaking fluent Greek.

What was the feeling like to win promotion to the 1st Division last season with Alki Larnaca?
The feeling was absolutely amazing – again -because I had won the same league when I was with Emis Arradippou the season before! So to win two consecutive league titles and to be part of this was  a great achievement that I will never forget. I have the medals on my shelf at home in England, reminding me of the achievements every time I go back home.

How passionate were the fans at Alki?
The fans at Alki were really passionate, like most fans in Cyprus. Football is close to most people's heart over there so you can imagine the atmosphere at most games. Our fans may not pack out the stadium but however many are at the games, they are always making their voices heard. Our fans are always trying to keep us players on our toes because they will let us know if they don't think that we are playing well!  Their expectations are high and they expect a certain standard of play from us week in, week out.

What would you say the standard is like compared to British football?
I would say that the standard compared to the English game is different.

You finished 10th this season. Was the target to stay in the top flight?
The plan for us last season was to finish inside the top half of the table and then after that, see how far up the ladder we could climb. But the game of football is never written in stone and it was difficult for us to reach our target due to not playing as good as we were capable of playing. We also struggled to keep our consistent good form in the majority of our games throughout the season. After just coming up from the second division last year it was really important for us to stay in the league, which we managed to do.

Who is the best player you have faced in Cyprus? And the best player at Alki?
Probably one of the best players I have faced in Cyprus  is Abdelkarim Kissi, who plays  for Achna. He is a defensive midfielder who can read the game brilliantly, breaking up a lot of opposition play, then starting off attacks. Also he has great vision, a range of passing with both feet and just a general calmness under pressure, which is amazing.  Abdelkarim was at Alki for a period so I know him quite well. He is an experienced player who likes to pass on his knowledge and help the younger players like myself and others.

What are your plans for next season?
My plans for the season are to go out on loan to a team in the same league or the league below to get a whole season's worth of games to add to my experience as a goalkeeper. Last season I didn't play any games, which was frustrating and hard for me. So this season I am at the stage now where I need to start playing regularly to prove my worth. It is always more frustrating for us keepers because we don't usually get given our chance until a later age, due to experience and because it is a specialist position where you can't just throw us on for the last 20 minutes of a game.

Do you still speak to any players from your time at Fulham?
Yes. I try to keep in contact with some players from my time at Fulham, but it is difficult because as a footballer it can take you all over the world. I still have contact with players like Robert Milson, who is still with Fulham;  Wayne Brown who is currently contracted with Bristol City; Yinka Casal, who was most recently contracted to Romanian side CFR Cluj and Ismael Ehui who is playing in Belgium. Facebook and Skype are wonderful things.

You have many different nationalities at Alki? What is the general language spoken?
Yes, we have the whole world in our changing room! The general language spoken is English, which I am happy about because it would take too much studying to learn all the different languages spoken in our camp! Last season we had Portuguese, Spanish, Brazilian, Venezuelan Polish players, to name a few.

Do you speak with Chris Dickson, currently at Nea Salamina Famagusta?
Yes I know Chris Dickson. We have met up on a few occasions for a game of pool or two. He is a good character and a really funny guy. He is also a dedicated professional who has helped Nea Salamina gain promotion back to the top flight.

http://lesrosbifs.net/2011/09/interview-corrin-brookes-meade-former-fulham-and-afc-wimbledon-now-ermis-aradippou/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lesrosbifs%2FCzsR+%28Les+Rosbifs%29

WhiteJC

Fulham Vs Blackburn Rovers, Sun 11 Sep 2011
Fulham Vs Blackburn Rovers: Match Preview

"I feel [the need to win] is probably the same as for the opposition," he said. "We need the points.

"All the teams that are there will tell you the same so they will try to win and we will try to get the result."

Fulham's next Europa League tie is on Thursday against FC Twente, whom Jol bought Ruiz for #10.6million on deadline day.

"Twente were good and everybody knows we have got the budget so everybody knows I am happy to stay within the budget with these four or five players."

Blackburn boss Steve Kean has brushed off any implications of a letter from fans sent to the club's owners asking them to consider his position.

Rovers have zero points from their three Premier League games this season but Kean insists his signings at the end of the transfer window have strengthened the squad to a position where they can finish in the top half of the table.

Kean travelled to India last week to speak to the owners, poultry giants Venky's, but insisted it was a routine visit rather than a crisis meeting.

Asked about the letter from fans, the Rovers boss admitted he shares supporters' frustration.

Kean said: "It doesn't make me feel bad at all, I have a great relationship with the owners.

"I can understand the fans' frustration that we don't have a point on the board right now but I think it's a minority of the fans and we share that frustration that we have not got points.

"I would say bear with us, we said 'judge us at the end of the transfer window'.

"I think we now have a stronger squad than we had last year. If we can start getting points on the board - and quickly - then the top half is certainly achievable.

"One win takes you halfway up the table and we are looking at going down to Fulham on Sunday and being positive like we were against Everton."

Kean said his relationship with Venky's remained "excellent".

"Every time I go there [people suggest] it's a crisis meeting. It just happens to be the same day every month," he added.

"It's not a crisis meeting. They are very happy. I go once a month, we sit down have a lot of conversations and the communication side between myself and the owners is excellent."

New signings Yakubu, Scott Dann, Simon Vukcevic and Jordan Slew are all in the Blackburn squad for their visit to Fulham.

Morten Gamst Pedersen (hamstring) is out however, while David Dunn is doubtful, also with a hamstring problem. Ryan Nelsen will be assessed to see if he has recovered from his knee injury.

Kean spent eight years at Fulham, first in charge of the academy and then as assistant to Chris Coleman.

"They have a great chairman [Mohamed Al Fayed] who has a put a lot into the club, I have great memories and I am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces," added Kean.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-blackburn-rovers-sun-11-sep-2011?

WhiteJC

Riise makes it to Fulham after a 10-year detour

John Arne Riise had a contrite phone call to make last week. It was to Egil Olsen, Norway's coach.

Riise apologised for having been out late with other internationals after his country's European championship qualifying victory over Iceland. The Norwegian media eagerly made a connection between the players' extended nocturnal celebrations and the defeat the team then suffered against Denmark four days later.

"I forgot the time," Riise told compatriot reporters.

Riise had a better excuse than some others. He was actually missing from the line-up because of injury, but should return for Fulham against Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League today.

He can expect some mild teasing from his club colleagues for the incident, and has been reminded in the Scandinavian press that his long and successful career has been punctuated by minor controversies of this sort.

The wing-back was once involved in an angry confrontation while on national team duty with the striker John Carew who, at 6ft 5ins tall, is not a man to pick a fight with.

There was also a reported clash at Liverpool with his then-colleague Craig Bellamy, whose reputation is considerably worse than Riise's on matters of uncontrolled aggression; Bellamy allegedly threatened Riise with a golf club.

Carew and Riise are now good friends. Peace and harmony, by all accounts, was also quickly restored with Bellamy.

Riise will turn 31 later this month. The footballer, at least, has gained a maturity that perhaps some of these stories do not obviously suggest.

He brings to the demanding role of the modern left-back high levels of energy and technique. Riise is physically imposing, a muscular presence in defence. Going forward, he has a ferociously powerful and accurate left foot. Riise's crossing was the principal asset sought by Martin Jol, Fulham's new manager, when he took over in the summer, mindful that in Bobby Zamora, he has a skilled target man in the penalty box.

Riise's game was already familiar to Premier League players and coaches.

He spent seven years at Liverpool, where he won the Champions League, an FA Cup and a League Cup. He survived a period of high turnover at Anfield, and came through several new arrivals at left-back and on the left of midfield with his first-team place secure.

"He's a smashing lad and a terrific footballer," said Phil Thompson, assistant manager at the club when Riise first arrived.

That was 10 years ago when, as it happens, he was supposed to be joining Fulham. Jean Tigana, the Frenchman, was the London club's manager at the time and knew Riise from Monaco, whom the flame-haired Norwegian had joined as a teenager.

Riise won a Ligue 1 title with Monaco. When Tigana offered him a future in the Premier League, with a newly promoted Fulham, he was eager. Scandinavian footballers typically are: English football has been followed closely there for generations.

But as Riise was scheduled to advance talks with Fulham, Liverpool pounced. He altered course for Merseyside and scarcely looked back. He scored a goal on his debut, the first in Liverpool's 3-2 victory over Bayern Munich in the European Super Cup. His fierce drives would bring a high yield of goals for a player who, under Gerard Houllier's management, generally played at full-back rather than in midfield.

He hit seven in 26 starts in his first season, and another half-dozen in each of the next two campaigns. Under Rafa Benitez's management, Riise more often found himself deployed further forward.

He once said publicly how he preferred aspects of Benitez's approach to that of Houllier.

Houllier remembered the remarks, and ticked Riise off when the former manager joined Benitez and the team as they celebrated the remarkable comeback that saw Liverpool beat AC Milan on penalties after trailing 3-0 in the European Cup final in Istanbul in 2005.

Riise moved to Roma in 2008. He became popular with supporters and rose to the big occasions. He scored important goals against Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus and was a galvanising figure in Roma's spirited push for the 2010 Serie A title, a bid that fell short only on the season's final afternoon.

But his certainty of a first-team place at Roma diminished with the wholesale changes at the Italian club during the summer. Luis Enrique, the new coach, had pushed for the recruitment of Jose Angel, the young Spanish left-back. Riise then learnt of Fulham's interest from a reliable source: his brother. Bjorn Helge Riise - right-footed and rather less celebrated as a footballer - has been at Craven Cottage for the past two years.

"I'd always admired John Arne as a player," Jol said at the elder Riise's presentation. The club had forgiven him his detour to Liverpool a decade ago.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/riise-makes-it-to-fulham-after-a-10-year-detour

WhiteJC

Lee Dixon: Fulham v Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn look set to struggle this season and Lee Dixon believes their fortunes won't look any brighter after this trip to Craven Cottage.

The alarm bells are ringing for Blackburn but I think the emergency will continue at Ewood Park for a while yet. I certainly don't think their fortunes will turn around for this fixture.

Fulham have always been a solid force at home and Martin Jol has kept that going. I'm not saying that the genial Dutchman is in the Roy Hodgson mould, but there are similarities in their styles and approaches. It seemed like the right appointment at the time and, though there has been the odd poor result, that's still the case. The home fans should end up chanting his name by the end of this match anyway!

Match Odds

Put simply, the season already looks very bleak for Rovers. They were tipped by many to go down and haven't shown anything to suggest that won't be the case, although you could say they were unlucky not to pick up at least a point before the international break (they missed two penalties against Everton). The Opta stat on their start makes for grim reading: Blackburn have lost their opening three matches for the first time in the top flight since 1947/48.

They're in need of a big character to step up and give everyone a boost and some belief. Chris Samba could be that man. He didn't leave the club, though many were predicting he would, and now he needs to show his head's in the right place. But I don't think this is the game for Rovers to turn it around. I just can't see them scoring here while the home side are good for a goal at least.

For me, rather than get involved in the match odds, I will try to secure bigger winnings by backing a home win to nil at 3.0.

Under 2.5 Goals

The Cottagers are rarely prolific but with Rovers struggling to score they won't need to be. I like unders here with a 1-0 (7.4) or 2-0 (8.6) home victory enough to secure a payout.

First Goalscorer

I'm a big fan of Clint Dempsey - one of the finest Americans to play in our league in my opinion. He's great in the air, decent on the ground. More importantly though, he runs around like a nutter and I like that sort of player! Opta tells us that Dempsey has scored three goals in his last four appearances against Blackburn. He also scored a fortnight ago and I'm backing him to get his name on the scoresheet first against a team that is low on confidence.

Recommended Bets
Back Fulham Win to Nil @ 3.0
Back Under 2.5 Goals @ 1.91
Back Clint Dempsey to score first

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premiership/lee-dixon-fulham-v-blackburn-rovers-090911.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Blackburn: Dempsey to be the bane of Blackburn again
Clint Dempsey has scored three goals in four appearances against Blackburn

Blackburn have never in their lengthy history lost their opening four games of a new season, but there is a first time for everything and there is no coherent reason why they will take anything from their trip to Fulham.

Fulham's start to the season has not been the best and the fact that they have had to qualify for the Europa League means that this is already their 12th match of the campaign.

However, they can call on the services of Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz for the visit of Blackburn.

Dempsey opened his league account for the season with Fulham's only goal at Newcastle and has netted three times in his last four games with Newcastle.

Meanwhile, Ruiz will not want to waste any time endearing himself to the Fulham fans following his big-money £10.6m switch from FC Twente.

Fulham are 8/11 in the Premier League odds to beat Blackburn, with Dempsey and Ruiz both available at 6/4 to score at any time within the 90 minutes.

The last time that Blackburn lost four times on the bounce was in December 2008 and it is 9/2 that they avoid a repeat of this sequence with a victory at Craven Cottage.

But they have lost seven of their last ten Premier League away games, with their only victory in this run being their 3-2 triumph at Wolves to secure their survival on the final day of last season.

Their chances of a first point of the campaign are boosted by Scott Dann, who should go straight into the first team to make his debut following his deadline-day move from Birmingham

Blackburn's odds are 23/10 to draw with Fulham, which would also leave Fulham still seeking their first Premier League success of the season.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-vs-blackburn-dempsey-to-be-the-bane-of-blackburn-again_076490.html