more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (13/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2011, 06:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper Schwarzer should have walked insists Blackburn Rovers boss Kean

Blackburn Rovers manager Steve believes Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer should have been dismissed in their 1-1 draw.

Junior Hoilett was concussed in a stoppage-time collision with Mark Schwarzer and Rovers manager Steve Kean was surprised the latter was not shown a red card.

"I think just the way he spun and fell," he said. "He's got three or four stitches on the side of his head and was out for a few minutes, so he's concussed.

"It was quite a nasty challenge. I was expecting him to send him off.

"When I spoke to (referee) Howard [Webb], he felt that even if Hoilett had got the first touch, [Stephen] Kelly was coming round.

"At the time, and at the pace it happened, I thought it would be a red card.

"Schwarzer thought it might result in a goal, so he went all out for it. Hoilett, too.

"It was just a good professional attempt from each to score or prevent a goal.

"It's not a great challenge and he'll have some concussion. It's a bad one.

"It could have been worse. He was out for a little bit of time and it might affect him for the next game.

"He'll be fine."

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/1210473-fulham-keeper-schwarzer-should-have-walked-insists-blackburn-rovers-boss-kean.html?

WhiteJC

Grading Bryan Ruiz's Fulham Debut And Martin Jol's Strategic Changes

It was clear from the start of Fulham's 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday that Bryan Ruiz was out to distinguish himself, perhaps to show that he was worth the vast sum Fulham paid for him at the transfer deadline.

If the one half of soccer Ruiz played was any indication, he most definitely was not worth it.

Thankfully it wasn't an indication, merely an introduction. Not the best of introductions mind you, just the first chapter of a story that could (and should) get better as the Fulham adapts to the strategic wrinkles Martin Jol began to introduce on Sunday.

From his first touch, Ruiz looked determined to take on and defeat defenders on the dribble. But, as Rich Allen at Craven Cottage Newsround described, Ruiz looked like a "deer in headlights" at times and had trouble coping with consistent two-man pressing, something I imagine he rarely had to deal with in the far more open Dutch Eredivise.

Finding it impossible to snake through Blackburn's five-man midfield, helmed impressively by David Hoilett, Ruiz fell back positionally and tended to operate in safe spots. It was at this point that we began to see an odd dichotomy in Ruiz's passing.

Ruiz's numbers looked decent, but the execution was awkward. Of the six passes Ruiz misplayed, four were of the very simple variety. I recall watching it Ruiz attempting to send a short, quick pass to Danny Murphy and other midfielders, but just managing to put too much pace on the ball and getting it all wrong. Nervy, nervy times.

And yet Ruiz still managed to play some pretty through balls up the right flank to the active and engaging Damien Duff, providing some encouragement at least.

Speaking of Duff, his frequency in attack on the right flank was funny simply because it was a total change from the start of the match. Total change into total football? Perhaps.

When jotting notes down during the match, I took a moment to write out the positioning of the players involved in Fulham's first meaningful attacking movement. In a line, I have written:

Riise - Duff - Dempsey - Ruiz (Not noted, but assuredly spearheading the movement, was Bobby Zamora.)

The positioning lead color commentator Stuart Robinson to point out that Duff was given a central position by Jol, but I assumed that he was tucked in to give John-Arne Riise room to join the rush. Minutes later, Ruiz was found playing behind Zamora, with Clint Dempsey out on the left and Duff wide right.

When Moussa Dembele was introduced for Ruiz at the start of the second half, more of the same was seen. Frequent position swapping, Dempsey and Dembele popping up anywhere and everywhere, Duff given room to rampage, Riise becoming more adventurous, and more effective in the process.

It was all very positive and attack-minded and allowed Fulham to effectively dominate the field. It simply lacked a cutting edge.

The vision I couldn't get out of my mind after the match was Jol wanting to progress to a very Dutch 4-3-3. The options available at Fulham would seem to indicate that this could be done effectively once the team adjusts.

You have few forwards capable of scoring goals but plenty of midfielders who are. Duff and the two-footed Dempsey have both shown capable of playing on either side of the field and Dembele is at least effective on the right side. Having the ability to allow, say, Dempsey to operate on the left and Duff on the right would give Jol players who could cut in and take shots on a dominant foot.

Zamora, one of the finest center forwards in the Premiership, could flourish in such a role within this sort of formation.

Midfield, meanwhile, possesses the requisite midfielders to clog centrally and distribute effectively, Danny Murphy in possession and Steve Sidwell and Dickson Etuhu in steel. Youngster Pajtim Kasami, as he develops, would add options as well. Or, Murphy could join one of the two in a less advanced, more distributive role and allow Dempsey or Dembele to operate as an attacking central midfield. There are a wealth of options.

This is all merely theory, but it's clear things are afoot on the training pitch. It may take time for the team to buy into Jol's plans, but once they do, the resulting displays could bring some attractive, and maybe even effective, displays to the Craven Cottage.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/9/12/2418640/grading-bryan-ruiz-fulham-debut-and-martin-jol-4-3-3?

WhiteJC

Rovers provide 'baptism of fire' for £10m Ruiz

The Fulham defender Stephen Kelly believes his new team-mate Bryan Ruiz had a "baptism of fire" against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday but yesterday backed him to flourish at Craven Cottage.

Both sides came into the match on the back of miserable starts to the season and the visitors took the lead through Ruben Rochina. Bobby Zamora equalised for Fulham six minutes later but the home side could not turn their pressure into a winning goal.

Much of the talk in the pre-match build-up focused on Costa Rica international Ruiz, who arrived on deadline day from FC Twente in a deal worth £10.6m. However, the 26-year-old struggled on his Fulham debut and was substituted by manager Martin Jol at half-time, which team-mate Kelly believes was a good move.

"It was a baptism of fire, especially when you're coming into a game against Blackburn or someone like Stoke," he said. "The Premier League is a very different league and you don't get to take two or three touches on the ball, but he is going to learn. He's a talented boy, he has come in and I am sure he will play well for us and for the club. It is just going to be a little bit of a learning curve in the first couple of games.

"I think the manager was right in what he did. He gave him a half and a taste of things so for the next few games he knows maybe what he needs to do. But it is a difficult one. You know you're going to get challenges flying in and in the Premier League that is what the game is like. That is what it is all about and it takes players time to adjust but I am sure he will."

Ruiz was one of several late signings made by Jol to try to bolster his ailing side. The Cottagers have secured two points from a possible 12 but Kelly believes the signs are promising.

"It's not a great [start]," he said. "We've had a couple of difficult away games and we've never been famed for our away form. But two draws from home is not really like us. We normally convert those draws into wins and it has been a bit disappointing.

"In the games we've had at home, I think we've had the majority of chances and possession but have come away without getting a win, which is disappointing. But it is early in the season. There is a new manager, new staff, new players and we're starting to gel.

"I think it will come and there were glimpses of it there, especially in the second half, where we were putting on the pressure and the crowd were really getting behind us."

The 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage meant Blackburn picked up their first point of the season.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rovers-provide-baptism-of-fire-for-16310m-ruiz-2353713.html?

WhiteJC

Kelly tips Cottagers to gel

Stephen Kelly is confident that Fulham will soon start winning matches when the summer signings start to gel with the other players.

The Republic of Ireland international full-back has been disappointed with the Cottagers' start to the new Premier League campaign as they have only managed to pick up two points from their opening four matches.

However, Kelly feels the players are still getting to grips with new boss Martin Jol and his staff's tactical demands not to mention the fact new boys Bryan Ruiz, Zdenek Grygera and Orlando Sa only joined the Londoners before the recent transfer deadline.

And, after Bobby Zamora's equaliser helped secure a point for the Cottagers in Sunday's 1-1 draw against Blackburn, Kelly claims things are gradually coming together and that will be reflected in upcoming results.

"It's not a great [start]," he said. "We've had a couple of difficult away games and we've never been famed for our away form.

"But two draws from home is not really like us. We normally convert those draws into wins and it has been a bit disappointing.

"But it is early on the season. There is a new manager, new staff, new players and we're starting to gel.

"I think it will come and there were glimpses of it there, especially in the second half where we were putting on the pressure and the crowd were really getting behind us."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/09/13/Stopper-tips-Cottagers-to-gel/gnid-108678/?

WhiteJC

A Dream Come True

Tom Donegan Interview:

After joining us early in the summer you made your senior debut as a sub in the 3-1 victory at Crusaders. That was some start to your life at Fulham...

It was incredible and something that came about very quickly. Running out onto that pitch in Northern Ireland was the best feeling that I have ever had in my life - it really was a dream come true. To play at that level was something that I had wanted since I was a little kid, so it goes without saying that I was made up.

I never expected it to happen so quickly. It was a game that gave the Manager the opportunity to look at a few options and some of the younger players, and in that 10 minutes I like to think I showed a little of what I can do. Obviously I was never going to set the world alight in such a short space of time, but it was still a great experience that I will never forget.

And although you're yet to play here for Fulham, you also got a feel for Craven Cottage last season as part of the Everton Under-18 side that won the National Play-Off Final at Fulham's expense...

That was a special night for me and my former team-mates and it is funny how things work out isn't it? It was a good game that could have gone either way. In fact, Fulham were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go but somehow Everton managed to get themselves back in the game and then in front.

I saw enough of Fulham to know that they had good young players coming through and that it would be a nice place to play your football. From top to bottom it's a club that likes to play good football and that's certainly something I believe in. I would love to get back out there on the Cottage pitch because it's a lovely ground – hopefully next time it will be in the black and white of my new team.

So how did the move to Fulham come about?

Well, Everton offered me a one-year pro deal, but I didn't really feel like I fitted into the system of play there. So when Malcolm Elias (Head of Talent ID and Recruitment) contacted myself and the club I was immediately interested. A two-year deal was offered, and I was very happy to accept. It was a great opportunity and I feel I can contribute a lot here – I'm definitely more suited to the way Fulham play. I like to think that I've entered an exciting part of my career.

You also spent time at Blackburn Rovers didn't you?

I spent six years at Blackburn before I was released at 16. It was difficult because I was still living in Liverpool and getting there three times a week was tough on my family – particularly my Mum. But it was a good experience and I learned a lot there.

I was obviously very disappointed when I was let go, but I think things have worked out quite well. I spent a short time at Bolton before moving to Everton and the rest, as they say, is history. I like to think I have come a long way since those early days at Blackburn.

As a Liverpool fan growing up, how has it been working alongside Danny Murphy here?

I've looked up to him for a long time and I really liked him during his Liverpool days. He plays the game the way it should be played and I can learn a lot from him. We play in the same position and already he's been very helpful with advice. He's the Club Captain and he has achieved a lot in his career, so to be working with him is absolutely fantastic.

And finally Tom, for fans that may not have seen you in action before, how would you describe yourself as a player?

Well, I like to think I'm a player that gets the ball moving and makes things happen. I'll always try and be positive when in possession, whether that's by creating chances for my team-mates or starting an attack. I would call myself an attacking midfielder, and last season I chipped in with nine goals from that position. I'll always give 100 per cent for the team.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/DonegansDream.aspx?#ixzz1XqiAScFg

WhiteJC

A New Chapter

Although he is yet to pull on the white shirt, new signing Zdenek Grygera has already played his part in one of Fulham's finest moments.

As a rival player, for those not aware, the 31-year-old defender was a member of the Juventus side that was unceremoniously dumped out of the UEFA Europa League here in March 2010.

For reasons that differ from our heroes of the night, it is a game that nevertheless stands out in his 14-year career. While he holds his own intriguing insight on an evening of inexorable drama, it was an experience that would ultimately shape his future and strengthen his desire to play in the Premier League.

"Of course, that is a game I will never forget," reflects Zdenek. "Fulham turned a lot of heads when they knocked Juventus out of the competition and I've taken an interest ever since – when you are involved in a game like that it is only natural.

"I've played a few times against English teams over the years and every time I have been struck by the atmosphere in and around the grounds, and Craven Cottage was no different. Even though it is small in comparison to some, the atmosphere was fantastic and made for a great setting.

"It was a difficult night for those on the losing side, but of course it was a special night for Fulham. It's not often an Italian team concedes four goals, you rarely see that happen. But Fulham played the better football, showed more fight and in the end were the team that deserved the win.

"The goal from Clint Dempsey was also very special and to win a game with a strike like that was incredible. It's funny how things work out. It shows that in football you just never know what will happen.

"I'm very happy to be opening a new chapter in my career and hopefully I can share similar lasting memories with the fans.

"This is a country that loves its football and I'm always impressed by the way the game is played and the manner in which the fans follow. Now I have the opportunity to play in the Premier League and experience this every week. That is exciting and something that I consider to be a very big thing for me."

In what proved a somewhat active summer transfer window for Fulham, Grygera became the seventh of 10 new arrivals and joined John Arne Riise and Pajtim Kasami in making the move from Serie A.

"You can see that football in England is different to football in Italy," he considers. "It is a lot more physical over here and in my opinion the game is played at a higher level, although in Italy it is arguably more tactical.

"It was a great honour to play for a club like Juventus, one of the most renowned and successful clubs not just in Italy, but perhaps even the world. But after four seasons in Turin I am now concentrating on being here and doing well for Fulham.

"In the short while that I have been here I must say that I feel very good because everyone has been very welcoming. I can sense that there is a close bond within the squad and that is a very important thing – especially if we are to do well and move forward."

Having played at two European Championships, one World Cup, and competed in a number of UEFA Champions League campaigns, Grygera joins with plenty of experience. His versatility is well documented, as is his unyielding commitment.

Martin Jol has made a conscious effort to reduce the average age of the First Team squad, but as Fulham compete on two fronts, the former Czech Republic international's game know-how should prove crucial.

"I am a bit older than most of the others that have come in, but I like to think that I bring a lot of experience," he says. "I'm hopeful that everything will work out for me here and, like all new signings, that I can provide my new team with something extra.

"I'm known for my versatility and, in recent years, more often than not, I have played in either of the full-back positions. But then at Ajax I played more in the centre of defence, so it's difficult to say what exactly my best position is. Fulham play a different style, so we'll see where I can establish myself."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/GrygeraANewChapter.aspx?#ixzz1XqiPF6A5

WhiteJC

Swans still in dark over duo

Swansea have revealed they are still waiting to find out when they will be cleared to play new signings Rafik Halliche and Darnel Situ.

The Premier League new boys agreed deals to sign Halliche on loan from Fulham and French midfielder Situ on transfer deadline day.

However, Swansea have yet to find out if FIFA have officially sanctioned the deals leaving both players in limbo.

Swansea have not given up hope that the pair could still be available to make their debuts against West Brom this weekend but chairman Huw Jenkins revealed he is growing increasingly frustrated at the situation.

"We are hoping to get some information on the two signings very soon," Jenkins told the South Wales Evening Post. "This situation is not ideal, and we just want to know one way or the other now.

"This is an issue that we've been discussing for a long time - the fact that in some cases, like the Fulham transfer, we get discriminated against.

"When we are trying to complete deals for players, we have to go through additional processes that other clubs in our league do not because any transfer between England and Wales is viewed as an international transfer."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7174311/Swans-still-in-dark-over-duo?

WhiteJC

Experiments in defence & will Ruiz be the next Gera?

The Martin Jol era has started with quite a bit of experimentation in the defensive part of the squad. What manager coming to Fulham would ever dare separate the centre-back pairing of Hangeland-Hughes? Roy Hodgson brought the two players together during his tenure and Mark Hughes stuck to it because it proved to be very successful. But under Jol, Aaron Hughes has been shifted to right-back and replaced by Philipe Sendoros in the centre of defence. The new backline has had a shakey start with five goals conceded in four domestic games. But those goals should be taken into the context of the whole of Fulham squad under-performing in those games.

So why experiment with something that's already working? Well, perhaps Jol's thinking is to look at all the players in the sqaud and pick the best individuals. Senderos is arguably a better centre-back than Hughes. However, as football shows us, sometimes it just isn't about picking the best individual players but those players who work best together.

On the other hand, maybe Jol's selection of Hughes at right-back is part of a trend in football. Hughes is, judging by his time wearing a Fulham shirt, a centre-back more than a right-back, which means there are three centre-backs and an attacking full-back, John-Arne Riise, in defense. This is a trend identifiable in two of football's top teams: Barcelona and Manchester United, who are deploying three centre-backs – with one being adaptable to full-back – and a natural attacking full-back in the back four. The formation takes advantage of having a talented attacking full-back in their teams: Dani Alves for Barca and Patrice Evra for Man Utd. If they bomb forward then there will always likely be adequate cover with three good centre-backs in defense. And this tactic seems to be present in Fulham to suit the great forward runs of Riise.

Perhaps then, if Fulham didn't sign Riise, the Hangeland-Hughes pairing would not have been separated.

And so where are the goals gonna come from? Two goals in four domestic games is a poor start to the season. Even in the Europa League campaign so far there has been a struggle for goals at times. With the £10 millionish signing of Bryan Ruiz, one can expect it will be easier to score. He made a huge impression for scoring goals in the Dutch league – 36 goals in 61 games for FC Twente.

However, Ruiz isn't a striker, he's a winger who, judging by clips of him on youtube, likes to come from deep, run into the box from a central position and scores goals with quite special technical ability. He's the perfect player for a 4-4-1 formation. Playing behind a target man, finding some space, taking on a couple of defenders and scoring goals from what can look like awkward positions.

For me, Ruiz could be a new Zoltan Gera who played an exceptional season behind Bobby Zamora in a 4-4-1 formation.

Gera isn't a striker, but acted like one after coming in from a midfield position, puzzling defenders and finding that space to score from positions that require special technical ability. Ruiz could end up finding his role in the Fulham sqaud will be much the same as Gera's 2009-10 season.

And then one wonders, if Gera had have stayed at Fulham, £10 million could have been saved.

http://fulham.theoffside.com/zoltan-gera/experiments-in-defence-will-ruiz-be-the-next-gera.html?

WhiteJC

Win Fulham v Manchester City tickets!

A pair of tickets to Sunday's Craven Cottage clash up for grabs

EA SPORTS, the Official Sports Technology Partner of the Premier League, has teamed up with the Fulham Chronicle to offer one lucky reader a pair of tickets to your team's next Barclays Premier League Match. The winner will also receive a copy of FIFA 12*.

EA SPORTS is the proud sponsor of the Premier League Player Performance Index. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index is the Barclay Premier League's official statistical index of all 20 Barclays Premier League teams.

The EA SPORTS Team of the Week will be available at www.premierleague.com after each round of the Barclays Premier League. The team will be based on ratings from the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.

To stand a chance of winning, simply answer the following question: Who is Manchester City's manager?

To enter, visit our Facebook page, click 'like' and post your answer underneath the question.

But you better be quick! Closing date for entries is midnight today (Tuesday), with winners notified via Facebook by midday tomorrow.

*EA SPORTS FIFA 12 is out on Friday 30th September available for Xbox360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/13/win-fulham-v-manchester-city-tickets-82029-29414670/?#ixzz1XqjNhKPq

WhiteJC

Grygera eyes Europa glory
New boy impressed with Craven Cottage atmosphere

Grygera: Hopes to experience more European success with Fulham this season

Fulham new boy Zdenek Grygera hopes to help the club to more European glory after being on the wrong end of their famous defeat of Juventus two years ago.

The 31-year-old was a first-half substitute in the Europa League last 16 tie at Craven Cottage in March 2010, which saw Fulhamrecover from a goal down to eventually win 4-1 and progress 5-4 on aggregate.

That shock result over the Italian giants formed part of the London club's memorable run to the Europa League final, where they eventually lost to Atletico Madrid in extra time.

Grygera admits the memories of that night and the passion shown by the club's fans helped persuade him to make a deadline day move from Juve to the Londoners.

With Martin Jol's men set to kick off their 2011/12 Europa League group stage campaign against FC Twente on Thursday, Grygera has also revealed he hopes to experience more famous European nights with his new club this season.

"Fulham turned a lot of heads when they knocked Juventus out of the competition and I've taken an interest ever since - when you are involved in a game like that it is only natural," Grygera told the club's official website.

"It was a difficult night for those on the losing side but, of course, it was a special night for Fulham.

"I've played a few times against English teams over the years and, every time, I have been struck by the atmosphere in and around the grounds, and Craven Cottage was no different.

"Even though it is small in comparison to some, the atmosphere was fantastic and made for a great setting.

"It's funny how things work out. It shows that in football you just never know what will happen.

"I'm very happy to be opening a new chapter in my career and hopefully I can share similar lasting memories with the fans."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7174569,00.html?

WhiteJC

Kelly reveals Fulham's secret weapon as they prepare for Twente test

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly reckons his side have a secret weapon to use against FC Twente in Thursday's Europa League clash – new signing Bryan Ruiz.

The Costa Rican forward moved from Twente to Craven Cottage for £10.6m on transfer deadline day.

And, even though Ruiz is ineligible to play against his former team-mates, Kelly says he will be picking the 26-year-old's brain ahead of their first Europa League Group match.

"I know they are a good side," said Kelly when asked about Twente. "They won the championship a couple of years ago and we expect it to be a tough game.

"Throughout the week we will do all our work and be picking Bryan's brain for how they are going to come out.

"But it is another game for us and hopefully we can get a foothold on the game early on. It would be nice to get a home win and that is what we're looking to do."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1091/50/kelly-reveals-fulhams-secret-weapon-they-prepare-twente-test?

WhiteJC

Fulham v FC Twente tickets

UEFA Europa League
Thursday 15 September
Kick-Off: 20:05

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders: On Sale (unlimited tickets)
Members: On Sale (unlimited tickets)
General Sale: On Sale (unlimited tickets)
Loyalty points: 6 (more info)

As we have now progressed to the Group Stages of the UEFA Europa League the seating requirements from UEFA have increased and we regret that some seats have had to be taken off sale due to increased media requirements. Visiting supporters will continue to be seated in Blocks H - K & HL - KL of the Johnny Haynes Stand.

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*

by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/FCTwenteHome.aspx#ixzz1XqkOV7Sn