News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can anyone tell me what formation we're supposed to be playing?

Started by NorthernWhite, September 11, 2011, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on September 16, 2011, 10:16:13 AM
Not so much of the ignorant What game were you watching? walking along after the game all I could hear was what a load of rubbish, poor performance, the politest was I am disappointed! so  the fans coming out the ground  I spoke to are all wrong and you and Jol were right, don't start that crap about what team have you been watching the last few years`I started watching this team in 1963 , Jol is trying to foister a system on the team that 1) does not suit the players we have 2) they don't like it, BZ has the air of cannot be arsed and you can see several of the players are not enjoying the game, If they had played till midnight we would not have scored and I really fear a hammering on Sunday.

I think most of the crowd were pretty ungrateful. Heard boo's at the end of the game, which I think is hugely disrespectful to the players. If AJ had scored the sitter we would have won comfortably. We were poor for the last 20 mins but decent for the rest of the game

epsomraver

You have your opinion and the majority who were there will have theirs, were you at the game? if so where did you sit? interested as to where you view the game from, obviously not on this planet.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on September 16, 2011, 10:23:16 AM
You have your opinion and the majority who were there will have theirs, were you at the game? if so where did you sit? interested as to where you view the game from, obviously not on this planet.

Ho ho ho, quite a sense of humour from you.

I was at the game, in the Hammersmith end, row CC, seat 125.

The booing at the end was embarrassing. If you think otherwise I would question why you support Fulham and not Man Utd/Chelsea

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 16, 2011, 10:20:09 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on September 16, 2011, 10:16:13 AM
Not so much of the ignorant What game were you watching? walking along after the game all I could hear was what a load of rubbish, poor performance, the politest was I am disappointed! so  the fans coming out the ground  I spoke to are all wrong and you and Jol were right, don't start that crap about what team have you been watching the last few years`I started watching this team in 1963 , Jol is trying to foister a system on the team that 1) does not suit the players we have 2) they don't like it, BZ has the air of cannot be arsed and you can see several of the players are not enjoying the game, If they had played till midnight we would not have scored and I really fear a hammering on Sunday.

I think most of the crowd were pretty ungrateful. Heard boo's at the end of the game, which I think is hugely disrespectful to the players. If AJ had scored the sitter we would have won comfortably. We were poor for the last 20 mins but decent for the rest of the game
I said to my old man a couple of minutes before the end to listen for the boo's and he said he doubted that would happen...but it did and I heard them from all around the ground.
Its been a poor run since the Villa game with just that win europe to show. 3 draws at home and yes we have played ok in spells but its been very unconvincing. MS made a number of saves yesterday, ok most were straight at him but he had a lot more to do than the other GK.
I walked back to putney and would agree that the comments being made were not great, could do better. Not that we played well, should have won, so & so looked great. There is a feeling of what going on?
Some players have to start delivering the goods because a few of them just seem to be going through the motions.

epsomraver

As i said previously , it has been a long time since i have seen players on the ball with no idea what or who to pass to, Woy instilled a system where the players knew without looking who would be in which position and Hughes built on that with more  a attacking attitude, that has gone, replaced by this total ineptitude in the final third, reminds me of our last days under Tigana up front trying to walk the ball in and in the middle Ray the crab.

rhyspabsolom

From halfway up the Hammy I'm more inclined to agree with the Chequebook.

I thought that the game was more frustrating than soul-destroying.
We dominated in the first half and I started to expect a 3-0 win. Some of the football we played was sublime at 1-0.

I thought the boos at the end were for the ref, if they were for the team then it's absolutely pathetic.

And I couldn't give two ticks how long some people have watched the club, wisdom doesn't always come with age.
The majority of old moaning men around me seemed to have the intelligence of, well, your average football fan.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on September 16, 2011, 10:34:43 AM
As i said previously , it has been a long time since i have seen players on the ball with no idea what or who to pass to, Woy instilled a system where the players knew without looking who would be in which position and Hughes built on that with more  a attacking attitude, that has gone, replaced by this total ineptitude in the final third, reminds me of our last days under Tigana up front trying to walk the ball in and in the middle Ray the crab.

The problem is that under Hodgson we were so predictable - excellent defensively, but if you shut down Murphy we had very little. Hughes was similar but more attacking. Things have needed a freshen up with Murphy ageing and we now have some new blood and a new attempt at a tactical way to play. We have struggled to get it right, but I think if it clicks it will be reminiscent of the good days under Tigana.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on September 16, 2011, 10:36:36 AM
From halfway up the Hammy I'm more inclined to agree with the Chequebook.

I thought that the game was more frustrating than soul-destroying.
We dominated in the first half and I started to expect a 3-0 win. Some of the football we played was sublime at 1-0.

I thought the boos at the end were for the ref, if they were for the team then it's absolutely pathetic.

And I couldn't give two ticks how long some people have watched the club, wisdom doesn't always come with age.
The majority of old moaning men around me seemed to have the intelligence of, well, your average football fan.

The last line is pretty apt - the guys behind me just kept saying 'I blame Jol' with no attempt to figure out why the team was struggling just that it must be the managers fault

epsomraver

I sincerely hope so mate, I really do, but do remember, as much as I admired Tigana, he had no plan B

Berserker

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 16, 2011, 10:37:33 AM
As i said previously , it has been a long time since i have seen players on the ball with no idea what or who to pass to, Woy instilled a system where the players knew without looking who would be in which position and Hughes built on that with more  a attacking attitude, that has gone, replaced by this total ineptitude in the final third, reminds me of our last days under Tigana up front trying to walk the ball in and in the middle Ray the crab.

The problem is that under Hodgson we were so predictable - excellent defensively, but if you shut down Murphy we had very little. Hughes was similar but more attacking. Things have needed a freshen up with Murphy ageing and we now have some new blood and a new attempt at a tactical way to play. We have struggled to get it right, but I think if it clicks it will be reminiscent of the good days under Tigana.

I didn't think the game was too bad last night, I thought in the first half of the match and the first part of the second half that the players were gelling and seemed enthusiatic, I was actually quite pleased as I thought oh they seemed to be getting their head round Jol's new style of play, I'm afraid I missed the Twente goal though as I had gone for a pee. It all  wrong I felt after substitutions, but saying that I was concerned before then that they still were not able to get the ball in the net in the second half, but sitting in the Putney end I couldn't see the reason why. I felt the substitutions messed up the formation and every body stated to play all over the place. Zamora is a worry though as either he doesn't like the way things are going, or can't adapt to them, or because he keeps getting injured he has lost confidence in his self and is worried about getting injured again.
I wondered if the younger players can adapt more to different formations as can the players that do international duty, as they are more used to being called upon the change their style of play/formations more frequently than the players that only play for Fulham.
Don't know really what the problem is. I am trying to keep faith that it will all turn out all right in the end and we won't be relegated, that Jol is experienced enough to see the problems and change his view point and style of play to fit in with the capabilities of the players Fulham have, which I feel was one of Roy's strengths, and one the Mark Hughes had to change to after Christmas last year. I am worried though and after reading threads on this and other forums I think  am being stupid in my belief

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

The Bronsons

Quote from: Berserker on September 16, 2011, 11:08:18 AM
Don't know really what the problem is. I am trying to keep faith that it will all turn out all right in the end and we won't be relegated, that Jol is experienced enough to see the problems and change his view point and style of play to fit in with the capabilities of the players Fulham have, which I feel was one of Roy's strengths, and one the Mark Hughes had to change to after Christmas last year.

This is the real question. I can see what Jol is trying to do as well, but I have no faith in it, because I'm not sure our squad is skilful or quick enough to cope with it. Roy made average, often ageing players play effectively, their confidence increased and they became better players. I'm worried we might be going in the opposite direction.

Not angry, depressed, desperate or calling for anybody's head. Just worried.

AlFayedsChequebook

As i said previously , it has been a long time since i have seen players on the ball with no idea what or who to pass to, Woy instilled a system where the players knew without looking who would be in which position and Hughes built on that with more  a attacking attitude, that has gone, replaced by this total ineptitude in the final third, reminds me of our last days under Tigana up front trying to walk the ball in and in the middle Ray the crab.

I didn't think the game was too bad last night, I thought in the first half of the match and the first part of the second half that the players were gelling and seemed enthusiatic, I was actually quite pleased as I thought oh they seemed to be getting their head round Jol's new style of play, I'm afraid I missed the Twente goal though as I had gone for a pee. It all  wrong I felt after substitutions, but saying that I was concerned before then that they still were not able to get the ball in the net in the second half, but sitting in the Putney end I couldn't see the reason why. I felt the substitutions messed up the formation and every body stated to play all over the place. Zamora is a worry though as either he doesn't like the way things are going, or can't adapt to them, or because he keeps getting injured he has lost confidence in his self and is worried about getting injured again.
I wondered if the younger players can adapt more to different formations as can the players that do international duty, as they are more used to being called upon the change their style of play/formations more frequently than the players that only play for Fulham.
Don't know really what the problem is. I am trying to keep faith that it will all turn out all right in the end and we won't be relegated, that Jol is experienced enough to see the problems and change his view point and style of play to fit in with the capabilities of the players Fulham have, which I feel was one of Roy's strengths, and one the Mark Hughes had to change to after Christmas last year. I am worried though and after reading threads on this and other forums I think  am being stupid in my belief

I dont think it is wrong to be worried at all - we have not got the points on the board that we perhaps should of at this stage in the season.

However, much of the reaction against how we are playing has been based on speculation and knee-jerk reactions rather than thought through arguments. Most people seem to have turned against Jol and the problem is that now when we play well for 60-70 minutes but dont win, people say 'we were terrible, we should have won, it was Jol's fault' rather than realising that we were the better team.

At the end of the day, this is a transition season (again). We won't finish in the top half, but I am confident that we are better than QPR, Norwich, Swansea, Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, Newcastle and West Brom.

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 16, 2011, 11:19:17 AM

I dont think it is wrong to be worried at all - we have not got the points on the board that we perhaps should of at this stage in the season.

However, much of the reaction against how we are playing has been based on speculation and knee-jerk reactions rather than thought through arguments. Most people seem to have turned against Jol and the problem is that now when we play well for 60-70 minutes but dont win, people say 'we were terrible, we should have won, it was Jol's fault' rather than realising that we were the better team.

At the end of the day, this is a transition season (again). We won't finish in the top half, but I am confident that we are better than QPR, Norwich, Swansea, Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, Newcastle and West Brom.

If Jol is not to blame who can you blame? MAF? I don't think so.
Jol and his merry men were hired for a purpose, and they are not getting the job done.

And just in case you haven't realized it yet, we actually ARE terrible.  090.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on September 16, 2011, 11:23:18 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 16, 2011, 11:19:17 AM

If Jol is not to blame who can you blame? MAF? I don't think so.
Jol and his merry men were hired for a purpose, and they are not getting the job done.

And just in case you haven't realized it yet, we actually ARE terrible.  090.gif

Whatever Finn. You have had an agenda against Jol since day one for no apparent reason.

epsomraver

good thought out post, it really does sometimes depend on where you view the game from as to your take on the players, Briggs looked good first half playing in front the Jh stand, second half seemed to fade but we were looking across the pitch so don't get such a clear view, TV only follows the ball so you again get another limited view, that explains the differing views.

NorthernWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 16, 2011, 09:51:30 AM
Sorry but if you cannot see what the team is trying to do, then you should go and read some books about tactics.

Thanks for that, I wasn't asking what the team were trying to do, I was asking what tactics we were actually PLAYING!

I can see what he wants the team to play but surely a good coach looks at what's available and cuts his cloth accordingly? Our team have been used to playing to very rigid and strict formations, to change that immediately is not good coaching, it's sticking to want you know. Good coaches gradually introduce their ideas rather than all at once.

I'm happy for us to change formations, but not in such a drastic manner. As per my earlier lost, Hughes had success when he decided to change gradually.

Anyway, at the current time, I see players struggling with what's being asked of them.

Just in response to your message, I've taken various coaching badges and am I'm currently taking more but there's A lot more to learn.

Jimpav

I think the main problem with playing one up front is that Bobby is more inclined to hold the ball up and play the others in as opposed to seizing the opportunities being given to him.

AJ might be better as the lone forward but he would need to keep away from the corner flag and be ready to pounce on any balls put into him - trouble is that he's easily shut out of the game by anyone over 5ft.

Dempsey would be an ideal candidate for the lone forward - he's better here than on the wing and he's quick to take a shot or latch onto the end of ball with his head.

If we go to 4-3-3 then BZ is going to need to change his game plan which will inevitable lead to more teething problems.

Jimbobob

Quote from: elgreenio on September 16, 2011, 09:35:54 AM
major kudos to jimbo for the Dragonball Z video there  :Haynes The Maestro:.

Of course Jol wants to play his Dutch way, but I don't think it'll happen with effect anytime soon, the majority of the team have been playing 4 in midfield for the whole of their careers.

Thanks elgreenio!
I can't stop laughing when I play it. He is even running with a ball. Fits us perfectly for now!
Damn it!
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?