more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (16/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 16, 2011, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 FC Twente: King of "We Shoulda Won...But We Didn't"

Martin Jol is turning Fulham into the kings of "We shoulda won...but we didn't."  Since Fulham's pretty promising start in the early rounds of the Europa League, Fulham has floundered.  Their home form has escaped them.  Their goalscoring ability has escaped them.  Since the Premier League season started on August 13, Fulham has 1 win, 3 draws, and 3 losses in all competitions.  Worst of all, they have 3 draws in their 4 home matches, where they are usually strong.  And their 3 away matches since then have all ended in disappointing losses, totaling 1 goal in those 3 matches.  It's been a really rough stretch, filled with uncharacteristic mistakes, disasterous misses, and head-scratching managerial moves.  Today was no different.  If not for the awful mistake by Tiendalli in the 19th minute that Andy Johnson capitalized on, Fulham may have actually lost 1-0 despite controlling most of the match, including almost all of the 1st half.

The good:

Zdenek Grygera – The defender making his Fulham debut showed he's obviously not the best attacking defender of all-time, but he was very very solid on defense, which is obviously his main job.  There were many times that I remember thinking, "wow thank god Grygera's there or that could have been a lot worse."

Moussa Dembele – EVERYONE STOP THE PRESSES.  HOLD THE PHONES.  MOUSSA DEMBELE TOOK A SHOT!! I don't believe my eyes! It was an awful shot from about 32 meters out on the left side.....but it was a shot! In all seriousness though, Dembele not only showcased his incredible dribbiling skills on multiple occasions, but the important part is he wasn't as gunshy. There were a few moments where I thought he could have shot, but most of em were scrums that were difficult to really get a good touch anyways.  He played very well in place of Ruiz and Zamora.

Mark Schwarzer – The defense was once again off its game tonight, and if it weren't for Schwarzer, who made a bunch of solid saves (nothing spectacular but he did everything he could this match), Fulham may have conceded more than just one goal.  There was nothing Mark could do on the lone goal by Twente, as he was falling one direction off the first header, only to be caught on the 2nd header.  It was a central defensive lapse.

The bad:

Brede Hangeland – Is it just me, or does it seem like Hangeland plays awful when he doesn't have Aaron Hughes as his CB partner?  Baird missed an assignment on the first de Jong header that Schwarzer saved, and Hangeland missed his assignment on the goal.  I'm sorry, but when you're 6 foot a thousand, you should NEVER give an opponent a free header in your zone.  Brede has no excuse.

Fulham's fair play – What's with all these silly yellows? Danny Murphy picked up a stupid one, so did Dempsey, and finally Senderos, whose yellow came literally 3 minutes after coming on. Speaking of Senderos coming on......

Martin Jol – Are you serious Jol? I was a fan of subbing AJ out, as his good play was quickly disentigrating.  I was happy bringing in Duff, even with Kasami having another quality match of his young Fulham career.  But then you bring in a defender at the 80th minute of a 1-1 match at home that you should be winning, and you have Orlando Sa, a young striker from Porto on the bench? Do you WANT to win? Or are you playing for a draw? Because that's what it looks like.  One twitter follower tweeted at me and said it seems like Jol scripts his substitutions the night before, and you know what? I can definitely see that.  It's really frustrating.  Off the pitch in the transfer window Jol has excelled, making this squad much better.  But on the pitch so far in his short stint at Fulham, he has severely disappointed me and a lot of other Fulham fans.

Hats off to: I got two here.  First, Twente's defender Douglas played an outstanding match.  It's funny, I bought him in my Fulham FIFA 10 franchise and he was an absolute beast in the middle, and he showed me today why he's like that in real life as well.  Guy played a great match in a game that a draw for his club is a great result.  Also, hats off to Twente manager Co Adriaanse, who managed an impressive draw without bringing all 11 guys back like Steve Kean did on Sunday for the last 20 minutes of the match.  In fact, it was Twente who had the best chances to go ahead in the last 10 minutes of the match.

Tonight's facepalm moment: When Andy Johnson banged the ball into the goalkeeper's chest from about 3 meters out completely wide open.  Need I say more?

Where does Fulham go from here?: You know what? I don't know.  Martin Jol needs to use his club to its strengths, which he hasn't done in a while.  I don't mind him experimenting a bit with what he has, but when it consistently gives negative results, continuing to make the same mistakes has no excuse.  Aaron Hughes is not a right back.  We've seen examples of this plenty, there is no other reason to put him there.  Bringing in a defender in the 80th minute of a tie game at home makes no sense.  He needs to play to his club's strengths, otherwise Fulham is in some deep trouble.

All in all, this result isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be.  In fact, they took 1 point from the technically top team in the group.  But it's the accumulation of disappointing results over the past few weeks that's making me feel this way.  Bottom line, Fulham should have won this match.  But....they didn't.

Martin Jol:
"It was the same story. Again we were the better team, but when you don't score after that kind of pressure it's always disappointing. To draw at home again is disappointing – especially when you see the quality of the players we have up front. I feel, especially at home, that we need to take the game to the opposition and score goals, which is what we tried to do. We played good football in the first half, but in the second we tried to force the issue and that left space at the back for them to counter attack."

This bullcrap isn't gonna help either:

"I felt that we couldn't do more than we did the first half. Everything went well, we were pressing at the right times and we scored a goal. We were playing good football though in the second half it was different. We tried to force the issue and we gave them space to hit us on the break, which they did a couple of times. If you don't score goals easily enough, you have to try and keep your shape."

"Three home matches and three draws and I have to say that we were the better team every time."

How about you stop giving us shoulder shrugs and start giving us wins? I hate to be so harsh this early but it's frustrating.

Final note: the Twente goal was counted as an own goal against Mark Schwarzer, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard (aside from Ruiz not being able to play in Europe of course).  That was a beautiful header that just happened to tip off of Schwarzer, who was off-balance from the header assist before it.  There was nothing Schwarzer could do.  For those who didn't watch the match, it wasn't an own goal, so don't be fooled.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2011/09/15/fulham-1-1-fc-twente-king-of-we-shoulda-won-but-we-didnt/?

WhiteJC

Jol left frustrated by draws
Martin Jol expressed his concern that Fulham were not turning draws into wins at Craven Cottage after the Europa League visit of FC Twente.

Mark Schwarzer's own goal condemned the Cottagers to a frustrating 1-1 draw against the Dutch club in a tie which they dominated for the most part.

The west Londoners took the lead courtesy of a neat Andrew Johnson flick but the visitors' equaliser left Fulham reflecting on their third home draw in four matches.

While Fulham's unbeaten European record at Craven Cottage remained intact, Jol was frustrated that his side could only eke out a point.

"I felt you can't do more than we did in the first half," he said.

"Everything went well. We pressed them at the right times and scored from that [period] as well.

"We played good football and the second half was probably different because we tried to force the issue.

"Then they had some space to hit us on the break and they did that a couple of times.

"That is the only thing. If you don't score goals easily enough then you still have to try to.

"Keeping our shape is a lesson we have learned for next time but the worry of course is four matches and three draws.

"I have to say all those games we have been the better team.

"It is the same story. Against Aston Villa we were the better team, against Blackburn the same and now.

"Of course I cannot blame anyone because they did well but we have had to put a lot of energy in.

"With a game against Manchester City coming up [on Sunday], that is the only disappointing thing."

Fulham's performance belied their poor Barclays Premier League showings, but Schwarzer's own goal forced the teams to share the points.

The Australia international was unfortunate to deflect home a Luuk de Jong header that rebounded off the post, against the goalkeeper, and in just before the break in the Group K encounter.

"It was not poor defending," said Jol of the equaliser. "Steve Sidwell tried to do his hardest, getting back.

"The only thing is they had one striker, picked the ball up and turned.

"Then everybody was in shape and Steve tried to head the ball but Brede [Hangeland] was behind him so there was no problem.

"But because of that flick he scored. I think it was a bit lucky.

"We tried not to concede and I feel, especially at home, you have to take the game to the opposition and try to score goals.

"That is the only thing. I think that in Europe in a one off game you have to try and take three points.

"I think Schwarzer did well. I don't think you can blame him for the goal but he will be disappointed with the result."

Twente coach Co Adriaanse, who has previously faced Jol as both a manager and a player, was proud of his team's performance in London and felt they could even have grabbed a winner.

"If you look at the course of the game, Fulham played well," he said.

"They had phases in the first half and also in the second when they applied a lot of pressure.

"The goal we conceded was due to our mistake, which of course was a mental blow for us.

"In the second half, Martin Jol made quite a few substitutions which resulted in a line-up quite similar to the one from last Sunday - basically his strongest side.

"At the end of the game we expected more pressure and tried their chances from corners.

"But we continued to play our football and created chances ourselves.

"At the end, you could say we could have won this game but I am happy with the way we played football, created chances."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/7179863/Jol-left-frustrated-by-draws?

WhiteJC

Murphy plots Manchester City plan

DANNY Murphy reckons last night's Europa League draw with FC Twente was the perfect warm-up for this weekend's clash with Manchester City.

Fulham were denied victory in the Group K clash after Andy Johnson's opener was cancelled out by Mark Schwarzer's unfortunate own goal.

But skipper Murphy reckons the game was the ideal dress rehearsal ahead of the visit of Roberto Mancini's millionaires on Sunday.

He said: "They've had a terrific start and have added quality to their squad. They're more clinical in front of goal with [Sergio] Aguero of course.

"They have tremendous competition for places and that means you get better performances.

"We know it will be a tough game but Twente was a kind of dress rehearsal in a way because they play the same type of football, have very technical players who try to get in the pockets.

"Of course we know we're going to have to defend very well to get a result against Manchester City. We can talk about Aguero, [Carlos] Tevez, [David] Silva – there's match-winners all over the pitch.

"It's going to need one hell of a performance from us but what better way to get our first win than against one of the best sides in the league."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/16/murphy-plots-manchester-city-plan-82029-29433012/?#ixzz1Y5wPkd1H

WhiteJC

Lawro's prediction

Fulham v Man City

Wednesday's draw with Napoli was a difficult welcome to the Champions League for Manchester City, but it was not a bad result in the end.

Returning to Premier League action after their European exploits is something else City need to get used to and they will be hoping for a repeat of their last visit to Craven Cottage, when they won 4-1 and Yaya Toure caused the home side massive problems.

The strength of City's squad should mean they are fine and I am backing them to see off Fulham easily enough again.

Fulham looked short of ideas in their draw with Blackburn last week despite having a lot of possession, and they did not look like scoring.

Their manager Martin Jol needs a win, so what he doesn't need is to be playing City at home.

Prediction: 0-2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/14935203.stm

WhiteJC

DRAW NO COMFORT FOR MARTIN JOL

Fulham manager Martin Jol expressed his concern that his side were not turning draws into wins at Craven Cottage after the Europa League opener against FC Twente.

Mark Schwarzer's own goal condemned the Cottagers to a frustrating 1-1 draw against the Dutch club in a tie which they dominated for the most part.

The west Londoners took the lead courtesy of a neat Andrew Johnson flick but the visitors' equaliser left Fulham reflecting on their third home draw in four matches.

While Fulham's unbeaten European record at Craven Cottage remained intact, Jol was frustrated that his side could only eke out a point.

"I felt you can't do more than we did in the first half," he said.

"Everything went well. We pressed them at the right times and scored from that [period] as well.

"We played good football and the second half was probably different because we tried to force the issue.

"Then they had some space to hit us on the break and they did that a couple of times.

"That is the only thing. If you don't score goals easily enough then you still have to try to.

"Keeping our shape is a lesson we have learned for next time but the worry of course is four matches and three draws.

"I have to say all those games we have been the better team.

"It is the same story. Against Aston Villa we were the better team, against Blackburn the same and now.

"Of course I cannot blame anyone because they did well but we have had to put a lot of energy in.

"With a game against Manchester City coming up [on Sunday], that is the only disappointing thing."

Fulham's performance belied their poor Barclays Premier League showings, but Schwarzer's own goal forced the teams to share the points.

The Australia international was unfortunate to deflect home a Luuk de Jong header that rebounded off the post, against the goalkeeper, and in just before the break in the Group K encounter.

"It was not poor defending," said Jol of the equaliser. "Steve Sidwell tried to do his hardest, getting back.

"The only thing is they had one striker, picked the ball up and turned.

"Then everybody was in shape and Steve tried to head the ball but Brede [Hangeland] was behind him so there was no problem.

"But because of that flick he scored. I think it was a bit lucky.

"We tried not to concede and I feel, especially at home, you have to take the game to the opposition and try to score goals.

"That is the only thing. I think that in Europe in a one off game you have to try and take three points.

"I think Schwarzer did well. I don't think you can blame him for the goal but he will be disappointed with the result."

Twente coach Co Adriaanse, who has previously faced Jol as both a manager and a player, was proud of his team's performance in London and felt they could even have grabbed a winner.

"If you look at the course of the game, Fulham played well," he said.

"They had phases in the first half and also in the second when they applied a lot of pressure.

"The goal we conceded was due to our mistake, which of course was a mental blow for us.

"In the second half, Martin Jol made quite a few substitutions which resulted in a line-up quite similar to the one from last Sunday - basically his strongest side.

"At the end of the game we expected more pressure and tried their chances from corners.

"But we continued to play our football and created chances ourselves.

"At the end, you could say we could have won this game but I am happy with the way we played football, created chances."

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,8697_7179588,00.html

WhiteJC

Jol frustrated by another draw
Fulham boss wanted to make more changes against Twente

Martin Jol admits he wanted to make more changes to his Fulham team against FC Twente after being left frustrated by a 1-1 draw.

Fulham started their Europa League group campaign with the stalemate on Thursday evening, having also drawn their two Premier League games at Craven Cottage.

Jol made six changes to the team which had been held 1-1 by Blackburn Rovers at the weekend, but he was keen to follow the example of Tottenham Hotspur, who made 10 changes for their draw away to PAOK Salonika.

However, Jol was left disappointed by the amount of energy his players had to exert against Twente after admitting he pushed for a win to help boost confidence.

"I planned to make a lot of changes like, for example, Tottenham did tonight, but after a couple of nights thinking about it, I really thought we had to win this game," said Jol.

"I thought it was important to get a victory to get that confidence.

"If you don't do that, you have to put a lot of energy in. This game we had to put in energy and we did. We have had to play a lot of players."

Home concern

High-flying Manchester City come to Craven Cottage on Sunday and Jol is hoping to start turning home draws into wins, which he admits is becoming a concern.

He added: "Keeping our shape is a lesson we have learned for next time but the worry of course is four matches and three draws.

"I have to say all those games we have been the better team. It is the same story. Against Aston Villawe were the better team, against Blackburn the same and now.

"Of course I cannot blame anyone because they did well, but we have had to put a lot of energy in.

"With a game against Manchester City coming up, that is the only disappointing thing."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7179954,00.html?

WhiteJC

Schwarzer suffers as Cottagers draw

Mark Schwarzer's own goal meant Fulham and Twente drew 1-1 in their Europa League clash at Craven Cottage.

The west Londoners dominated the Group K encounter for the most part and broke the deadlock after Andrew Johnson flicked home with aplomb.

However, the Dutch outfit levelled as Luuk de Jong's header bounced off a post and in off Schwarzer.

Fulham looked the brighter of the two teams during the opening exchanges and, after seeing a couple of chances thwarted, Clint Dempsey went close. The United States international jinked through the middle and unleashed a low drive that former Liverpool reserve goalkeeper Nikolay Mihaylov did well to parry before the defence cleared.

Dempsey and Mousa Dembele were having a lively start to the game and the latter blazed over shortly after as the Cottagers upped the ante. The pressure paid off after 19 minutes when Johnson intercepted a pass across the back by Dwight Tiendalli and flicked past Mihaylov.

Fulham continued to press the Twente backline after taking the lead, with Danny Murphy going close after collecting Brede Hangeland's superb looping ball from the halfway line.

Despite the home side's dominance, the 2009/10 Dutch champions still showed flashes of class and De Jong was unlucky to see a powerful header saved by Schwarzer.

Fulham were made to pay for their inept finishing in the 40th minute when Twente levelled. Minutes after Schwarzer superbly saved a long-range Willem Janssen effort, De Jong's header bounced off the post and rebounded into the net off the back of the goalkeeper's head.

The second period started relatively slowly before bursting into life when Dempsey headed Pajtim Kasami's cross just wide at the back post. The effort spurred the home side on and, after a few good moves broke down, Johnson forced Mihaylov into a quick reaction save after a melee in the box.

Fulham fans felt Dempsey should have been awarded a penalty in the build-up and were further frustrated when the Texan then saw an effort saved after a fine run from Dembele.

http://www.loughboroughecho.net/loughborough-sport/uk-sport/2011/09/16/schwarzer-suffers-as-cottagers-draw-73871-29433965/?

WhiteJC

Team Confidence

Clint Dempsey believes Fulham should have taken more from their opening UEFA Europa League group game as the Whites were held to a 1-1 draw with FC Twente.

Martin Jol's side took a deserved lead when Andrew Johnson clipped home a delightful opener, only to see Luuk de Jong level with a fortuitous header.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com, Dempsey said: "Unfortunately it was one of those nights for us, but I'll make no excuses this was a game we should have won.

"Twente are a good side, but we have a lot of quality. We did well in the first-half and should have had more to show.

"For whatever reason it's just not falling for us at the moment, but we're confident things will turn around."

The Whites certainly had the better of the night's chances with Dempsey twice forcing the Twente stopper into significant action.

"We are all a little frustrated but let's look at the positives," he added. "We did create goal scoring situations and that is important.

"Their 'keeper was the busier of the two and we put them under a lot of pressure at times. Although we didn't take the three points like we would have hoped, at the same time we didn't lose.

"We know that we need to put some momentum together and hopefully that will come. There's too much quality here for it not to, and we'll work hard at putting things right and bouncing back."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/DempseyTwenteReaction.aspx?#ixzz1Y7SB55Iq

WhiteJC

Man City Travel Update

Supporters planning on attending Sunday's match between Fulham and Manchester City at Craven Cottage (Kick-off 3pm) should note that disruptions to the Tube service could affect their travel times.

District Line   
On Saturday and Sunday, there is no service between Parsons Green and Wimbledon.

Replacement buses will operate:

Service A: West Brompton - Fulham Broadway - Parsons Green - Putney Bridge - East Putney - Southfields - Wimbledon Park - Wimbledon
Service B: Hammersmith - Putney Bridge - Wimbledon
Piccadilly Line
Until Tuesday 20 September inclusive, Piccadilly line trains are not stopping at Earl's Court. This is due to urgent escalator work.

Circle Line
On Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 September, there is no service between Moorgate and Hammersmith.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/ManCityTravelUpdate.aspx?#ixzz1Y7SOf2Sv

WhiteJC

Captain's Reaction

Danny Murphy was frustrated not have secured all three UEFA Europa League points against FC Twente on Thursday night and Fulham's Captain believes his team have been unfortunate not to have secured more points in their recent doemstic and European matches.

"I don't want to get the violin out but we seem to be getting punished a lot recently," said Murphy. "That's football at this level, against good opposition. They [FC Twente] equalised near to the half-time break which deflated us a little bit and it was another home game that I thought we should have won.

"We're not too despondent because a draw is not the end of the world against the best team in the group in terms of Champions League experience. With the start we've had this season we were looking for a win to give us some confidence but overall I thought we performed quite well, like we did against Blackburn last weekend.

"We need to finish some chances because you can't keep talking about hard luck stories and you need to get some points on the board. We're not managing to do that yet but we've played okay in the last few games. We've performed better than the results suggest."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/MurphyTwenteReaction.aspx?#ixzz1Y7SeJabZ

WhiteJC

Murphy: Attack will be best form of defence against Man City

Danny Murphy insists attack will be the best form of defence when Fulham try to get their season up and running against Manchester City on Sunday.

The Cottagers are yet to win a Premier League game this season, but the midfield ace knows there will be no better time to register their first three points than against high-flying City.

But he admits the Londoners cannot hope just to sit back and soak up pressure from Roberto Mancini's team.

He said: "We're capable of getting results against the better teams but we can't defend for 90 minutes. You've got to believe you can win and give them a game.

"You've got to have a go at home, the fans will dictate that. Sometimes it takes a big game to get your season on the road, so why not Sunday?"

Murphy knows, however, that his side face a real test against a team that has won four out of four in the league so far this campaign.

He added: "City have had a terrific start. They've added real quality to the squad and they look a lot more clinical in front of goal.

"They're playing with confidence and a spring in their step. They have tremendous competition for places and they seem to be able to change three or four [players] and it doesn't upset them too much, which is what Man United have done over the years.

"They've got match winners all over the team so it will need a hell of a performance. But we believe we can win because we've shown before we can we beat the big teams, especially at the Cottage."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1103/62/murphy-attack-will-be-best-form-defence-against-man-city?

WhiteJC

Murphy: We are capable of bringing Manchester City down to size

Defiant Fulham captain Danny Murphy believes last night's 1-1 draw with FC Twente has primed the club to climb clear of the relegation zone by inflicting a first defeat of the season against Roberto Mancini's megabucks team on Sunday.

The midfield veteran acknowledges that the odds are stacked against Fulham, who have still to celebrate a win four games into the Premier League campaign and whose lack of a cutting edge sees their meagre haul of two goals dwarfed by City's 15.

But Murphy says Craven Cottage can be transformed into a fortress - Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal were held to draws there last season.

He said: "We know it is going to be difficult on Sunday. But we believe we can win the game because we've shown before that we can perform against good quality opposition, especially at the Cottage where there's always a good atmosphere.

"So I say 'bring it on'. Everybody thinks the likes of United and City go out and win every week but the Premier League always throws up a few shocks and hopefully we can cause one."

According to Murphy, Fulham can spring a surprise by taking the game to City just as they did against Twente when early pressure against the Dutch visitors allowed Andrew Johnson to nip in and chip over goalkeeper Nikolay Mihaylov for his fourth strike in nine Europa League appearances.

Murphy said: "Playing Twente was a good dress rehearsal for City. Twente are not of the same quality but they play the same type of football as City. Their players are very technical, they play little one-twos, give and go.

"We know we're going to have to defend very well to get a result, because the one thing City have in real quantity is attacking flair. So it's going to need a hell of a performance from us. However, you have to believe you can give them a game and win. Sometimes you see players go out against the big teams and they're finished before they even get onto the pitch."

The poser for Fulham is that while they may not lack courage or conviction, they certainly are wanting for that decisive touch in front of the opposition's net. That failure to put away chances cost Martin Jol's team again against Twente, who salvaged a point just before half-time when Luuk de Jong's header rebounded off a post and went in off the back of a sprawling Mark Schwarzer.

Murphy said: "I don't want to get the violin out but we seem to be getting punished a lot recently. But we've got a good squad and we won't panic.

"In an ideal world, when you've had a bad run, you'd want your next game to be against lesser opposition. It will be a challenge but you can't go into a game like this with fear."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23987708-murphy-we-are-capable-of-bringing-city-down-to-size.do?

WhiteJC

Fulham star makes Europa League admission ahead of Manchester City clash

STEVE Sidwell admits the Europa League is already taking its toll on Fulham.

After last night's ninth tie of the season against Twente already, the team face millionaires Manchester City on Sunday – and for some in white – their third game in eight days.

Although the side assembled at a huge cost were also involved in Euro action this week, City played a day earlier on Wednesday.

And Sidwell insists the elusive hunt for a first Premiership win has much to do with the jam-packed programme.

"It's tough because you're going into a game when some your opponents have had a week's rest," he said.

"What's important is we have a squad big enough to deal with it, especially now we've made a few signings."

But the defensive midfielder agreed boss Martin Jol cannot change all 11 players between games, no matter how short the break.

"It's difficult, and that's why you've got to eat right and get the right rest," said Sidwell. "But we're professionals. That's our job, and we've got to get on with it."

Even given the intensive labour, the man who kept Dickson Etuhu out of the side that drew with Blackburn on Sunday, reckons there are just as many positives for being in Europe twice in three years.

He added: "We've seen what the Europa League has done for this club already, and the lads who were here then want more."

But Sidwell is also relishing the thought of bloodying the noses of Roberto Mancini's high-fliers as just the right moment to get Fulham on the winning trail.

He added: "Taking their scalp would bring massive, massive confidence.

"You do build yourself up more for game like Man City, probably more say than Blackburn – no disrespect. And you do more because you know it's going to be a tougher game."

The player, who made a permanent switch himself from Aston Villa in the summer, reckons £10.6million Bryan Ruiz will come good despite a damp squib of a start against Blackburn.

The striker was hauled off at half-time, but Sidwell believes any kind of goal for the new boy will give him a shot of confidence.

"It was harder on Bryan because it was the last transfer before the window shut," said the midfielder. "Had he had a pre-season, he would have got to know the lads – but he'd only had three or four days with the full squad before Sunday.

"But he showed some great touches, and there's no doubt about it, getting a goal early will lift him."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/16/fulham-star-makes-europa-league-admission-ahead-of-manchester-city-clash-82029-29434489/?#ixzz1Y7TdvJX2

WhiteJC

Fulham v Man City preview
Fulham still without a league win, Blues aim to maintain perfect start

Manchester City will aim to get back to winning ways as they visit Fulham on Sunday.

City's 100 per cent start to the new campaign came to a halt on Wednesday night when they were held 1-1 at home by Napoli.
Both clubs were making their UEFA Champions League debut and the long-suffering City fans had hoped the Blues would take their sparkling domestic form onto the top European stage.

The Italian outfit proved a much tougher nut to crack than City's Premier League opponents so far this season, but City remain optimistic they can reach the knock-out stage and stay in title contention.

City's star-studded squad have turned on the style in their opening four games, scoring 15 goals and conceding three to top the Premier League table with neighbours United.

Fulham were also in European action on Thursday night, hence the fixture being shifted to Sunday, and the Cottagers were held to a 1-1 draw at home against Dutch side FC Twente in the Europa League.

That means Martin Jol's men have drawn their last three home games, after previously being held by Aston Villa and last week Blackburn.

Having lost away to Newcastle and Wolves, Fulham have picked up just two points so far this season and go into Sunday's game third-bottom.

They will also be mindful of City's visit last November, when they led 3-0 after 35 minutes, ultimately winning 4-1 - and Roberto Mancini has since signed Edin Dzeko, Sergio Aguero and Samir Nasri, while playmaker David Silvahas hit top form this season.

Team news

Fulham are expected to make changes after resting several players in midweek.

Bobby Zamora should return up front while new signing Bryan Ruiz is available again after being cup-tied against former club Twente, although Moussa Dembele and Andy Johnson are also in contention.

Defender Aaron Hughes was ruled out in midweek with a knock he suffered against Blackburn while midfielder Simon Davies (knee) is a long-term absentee.

Mancini could recall full-backs Micah Richards and Gael Clichy after Pablo Zabaleta and Aleksandar Kolarov were surprisingly brought in against Napoli, with limited success.

The Blues boss has many attacking options but could stick with his regulars for another game before resting them and keeping his fringe players happy by making widescale changes against Birmingham next week.

Defender Kolo Toure is yet to appear since the end of his drugs ban but should return in Wednesday's Carling Cup tie rather than at Fulham.

James Milner has been ruled out after a clash of heads in last week's 3-0 win over Wigan while fellow midfielder Nigel de Jong (foot) remains out.

Possible starting XIs:
Fulham: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Riise, Duff, Sidwell, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Zamora.

Man City: Hart, Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy, Barry, Y Toure, Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3448370,00.html?

WhiteJC

Centre Stage

Although frustrated by Thursday evening's draw with FC Twente, Chris Baird was able to draw the positives out of the game ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League match against Manchester City.

"It was a bit frustrating at times, but you have to give them [FC Twente] a lot of credit for their resistance," said Baird. "We kept the ball well and created chances in what was a hard game for us.

"At home I would have expected us to win this game, and of course, we're disappointed not to start the group fixtures with a win."

Baird enjoyed being back in his central defensive role and couldn't help feeling that bad luck may have been a factor in the 1-1 draw with FC Twente, but he hopes that this could work in his team's favour if the past is anything to go by.

"We didn't quite have the luck in front of goal, and their goalkeeper made some very good saves - on another night they go in and we're talking about three points and not one.

"It's a point on the board and I suppose the important thing is that we didn't lose. We drew our first group game the last time we were in Europe, so let's hope it works out to be a good omen for us.

"We've got a trip to Denmark next against Odense and we'll do our best to get the win and get ourselves moving up the table. We've got a lot of experience in this competition; so we know what needs to be done and hopefully we can get that first win.

"I enjoyed myself out there and thought that I did well. I haven't played as much as I would have liked so far this season, so it was great to be out there. There's a lot of competition now, but I want to be part of the team and helping my team-mates out. Of course, I played at centre-half which is my favoured position, so that was good too. Hopefully I showed what I can do."

Fulham started their preparations on Friday morning for Sunday's match against Manchester City at Craven Cottage and Baird believes Fulham can gain a result over any team in the land when they have home advantage.

"Our thoughts now turn to the game with Manchester City on Sunday and we all know that we need to get that first win," Baird explained. "City are doing extremely well at the moment so people will say that may be easier said than done.

"They are a top quality side but we're playing them at Craven Cottage and we all know that we are capable of taking three points off any team there. Hopefully that will be the case because it would give us a massive boost. We're looking forward to getting out there with them and we'll make sure we are firing on all cylinders."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/BairdTwenteReaction.aspx?#ixzz1Y7UNsCak

WhiteJC

Fulham v MAN CITY: Milner and De Jong ruled out of Craven Cottage trip

Manchester City midfielder James Milner has been ruled out of Sunday's Barclays Premier League trip to Fulham.

Milner missed the midweek Champions League game against Napoli after a clash of heads in last week's defeat of Wigan.

Midfielder Nigel de Jong (foot) remains 10 days to two weeks away from fitness while full-back Aleksandar Kolarov is not hindered by a broken nose.

Ruled out: James Milner has a head injury

Provisional squad: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, Richards, Clichy, K Toure, Savic, Nasri, Barry, Y Toure, Silva, Johnson, Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez, Aguero, Razak, Pantilimon.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2038186/Fulham-v-MAN-CITY-James-Milner-ruled-out.html#ixzz1Y7UedmYJ

WhiteJC

Dempsey: Victories will come
Clint Dempsey insists Fulham will start picking up victories if they stick to their current philosophy.

The United States international was one of the standout performer's in Thursday's night's 1-1 draw with FC Twente in Europa League Group K.

Andrew Johnson handed the Cottagers a first-half lead, before an unfortunate own goal by goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer forced the sides to share the spoils.

Martin Jol admitted he is becoming concerned by Fulham's inability to eke out wins - last night's draw was their third in four home games - but Dempsey believes the tide will soon turn in their favour.

"Every game is going to be tough, especially away from home," he said.

"You've just got to keep going and I think eventually it will start to fall for us.

"If things keep going they way they are going, we're going to start getting wins.

"No matter who we play we're going to try and get a result.

"We need results now, especially with where we are in the table.

"We're going to go out there, try and do our best to get as many points as we can."

Fulham's performance yesterday belied their poor Barclays Premier League showings as they passed neatly and created a plethora of chances.

While they only managed to convert one of those opportunities, Dempsey believes his team-mates can take encouragement from their creative performance into Sunday's clash against Manchester City.

"The good thing is we're creating chances," he said. "Eventually they are going to fall for us.

"We did take the lead, going one up. You'd think we would be able to see that out but we weren't able to.

"But we are creating chances so it is just a matter of time until they start falling for us. I'm not too worried."

The Texan also quashed concerns that the players may struggle juggling European football on a Thursday and Premier League matches three days later.

"You want to play in as many games as you can to make the most of your career," he said.

"It is great to be part of this competition, the Europa League, and it is great to be in the Premier League.

"You've just got to keep pushing, start getting results and hopefully some wins."

Fulham and Twente come head-to-head again on December 1 and winger Ola John believes the Dutch side can triumph on home soil.

"It was a game with opportunities for Fulham and our team," he said. "I think 1-1 is a fair result.

"[From what I have seen], I think we can beat them in Holland.

"In the first half they pressed us very well, with the midfield and in particular [Danny] Murphy.

"In the last 20 minutes of the second half we could have taken another goal but it didn't happen."

Thursday night was a special match for John, who visited Craven Cottage on several occasions when brother Collins John played for the club.

"It is fun to be back," he said. "For years I was coming here watching the games and it is just funny to be back now.

"I was just watching the games but now I am playing on the pitch.

"[Collins] phoned me and asked me 'how was Fulham?' and I said it was still the same. I just tried to play my game and be myself.

"It's good for me because it is a new step to play an English side at this old club, Fulham, so it's nice."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/7180765/Dempsey-Victories-will-come?

WhiteJC

Missed Chances?

Fortress Craven Cottage has a less solid look about it so far this season.

Draws against Aston Villa and Blackburn in the Premier League and the draw last night against Twente in the Europa League, have left the gaffer far from feeling delighted.

After the draw last night, in the Europa League, Martin Jol had this to say about another failure to win,

"It`s the same old story - we had it against Aston Villa and Blackburn."

"I cannot blame anyone because they did well but we had to put in a lot of energy."

'We played well, the players knew what to do but we have to put the chances away. We should have been two or three ahead given the chances we created.'

Missed chances! The story of many a life!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=255738#ixzz1Y7VnkwfJ