more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (19/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 19, 2011, 07:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mancini: City do not have enough players

Roberto Mancini moaned he does not have enough players after his Manchester City side threw away a two-goal lead at Craven Cottage.

City seemed set to extend their 100 percent start to the campaign after new £38million signing Sergio Aguero scored twice.

But Fulham lifted ­themselves off the bottom of the table with second-half goals from Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy.

The Abu Dhabi-owned club have spent over £300m on players over the last three years, but City boss Mancini said: "I can only change the full-backs and the strikers.

"I have only two midfield players as James Milner and Nigel de Jong are injured.

"We're lacking players at this moment."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-lacked-players-against-Fulham-claimed-Roberto-Mancini-article801481.html#ixzz1YNh9omMd

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-2 Manchester City: Daily Mirror match report

Not even the lethal finishing of Sergio Aguero could kill off Fulham as City failed their first Premier League test after their Champions League debut.

Fulham boss Martin Jol claimed his side had "come back from the death" to stop City extending their winning league start to the season.

But teams who win titles do not hand out such lifelines to opponents sitting at the bottom of the table.

Despite not creating the chances their domination of possession demanded, Aguero scored goals in each half to take his tally to eight in five Premier League matches – or a goal every 41.1 minutes.

The last player to start a season with the same ­outrageous strike-rate was Micky Quinn for Coventry in 1992-93.

Roberto Mancini had called on his City side to emulate Manchester United's ­ruthlessness in matches.

But his side surrendered the initiative and the points in the first of six away Premier League matches they will face after their Champions League ­exertions. It was not a good omen for the season, ­especially as the Italian ­ludicrously complained about his lack of playing resources.

They also blew their chance to equal of club record of nine consecutive league wins, set in 1912, stretching over two seasons.

"After 2-0 it feels like a defeat but it could be a lesson for us," admitted Mancini.

"When you dominate a game like us today for 60 minutes and score only two goals, it's a problem.

"We probably lacked the killer mentality of champions to kill the game off. For 10 or 15 minutes afterwards, Fulham played very well.

"In the first half, we had 65-70 per cent of possession and chances to score. This is the problem. A top team like us needs to control the game. I'm ­disappointed. We conceded a few stupid goals."

Aguero gave City the lead with their first serious attack after a marginal offside call from David Silva's pass.

"If we had lost, I would have complained," Jol smiled later. "His arm was ­probably offside. It was ­probably 50/50."

Mark Schwarzer kept out shots from Gael Clichy and Edin Dzeko but the contest appeared over only 11 seconds into the second half.

The French left-back launched a ball forward to Dzeko's head and Aguero swept his shot home.

The Argentine had another effort disallowed for offside but Bobby Zamora scored for the second Sunday running to change the game.

The excellent Moussa Dembele found Clint Dempsey and his neat pass allowed the England striker to fire into the top corner.

Micah Richards had to make a great last-man tackle on Dempsey and Joe Hart saved well from Dembele and Dempsey.

With 15 minutes left Zamora set up Danny Murphy on the edge of the box and his low shot deflected in off Vincent Kompany.

"All the players needed to defend and work better," claimed Mancini.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-2-2-Manchester-City-Clint-Dempsey-and-Danny-Murphy-lead-comeback-after-Sergio-Aguero-double-article801141.html#ixzz1YNhNmD6X

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-2 Man City

Murphy scored the equaliser on 75 minutes to earn Fulham a point

Manchester City blew a 2-0 lead as a battling Fulham fought back to rescue a point with a fine second-half showing.

Sergio Aguero scored his seventh and eighth goals of the season, first tucking in David Silva's pass before firing in just after the break.

City were dominant in the first period but Bobby Zamora shot into the top corner from Clint Dempsey's lay-off to awaken Craven Cottage on 55 minutes.

Danny Murphy equalised when his shot took a deflection off Vincent Kompany.

Roberto Mancini's side will rue a host of missed chances in the first half, not least when Mark Schwarzer saved from both Gael Clichy and Edin Dzeko.

Credit, however, must go to Fulham, who somehow shrugged off their lethargy to secure their third point of the season and double their league goals tally.

The game was a lesson for City who, following their midweek Champions League exertions, looked unable to muster the necessary energy to press for the winner after Murphy's 76th minute equaliser.

Martin Jol's side had even less time to prepare for the game, though, following their Europa League game on Thursday. And in becoming the first Premier League side to deny City maximum points this term, Fulham will be confident the draw can kick-start their season.

Before Fulham's second-half resurgence, the game was played at a leisurely pace, but once City got a grip on possession early on they began to cut Fulham apart.

There were few chances before Aguero gave City the lead on 18 minutes, but once the 23-year-old pounced, the visitors could have trebled the margin.

The goal itself was a relatively simple affair as Gareth Barry passed to Silva on the edge of the box, and when the Spaniard fed the diminutive Argentine, he made no mistake.

While there was a suggestion of offside about the goal, Fulham had no time to dwell on it. Schwarzer tipped Clichy's shot round the post soon afterwards and then made an even better stop to deny Dzeko's shot from Silva's cutback.

Mancini had warned his team about their profligacy against Wigan last weekend, where they had a string of chances but similarly were only a goal up in the first half.

But he must have thought he could relax just 12 seconds after the re-start when Aguero pounced once again.

Clichy's long diagonal pass was nodded down by Dzeko and Aguero took one touch before firing across Schwarzer into the bottom corner.

Then, seemingly from out of nothing, Fulham burst into life.

Zamora was given too much room as he was found by Dempsey on the edge of the box, and the England striker struck the ball cleanly as it sailed into the top corner.

All of a sudden, Fulham awoke from their slumber and Hart was twice called into action as the hosts searched for an equaliser.

First, he was at full stretch to tip Moussa Dembele's shot round the post and then he stopped Dempsey's header from a corner.

But Fulham looked a completely different side and Hart could do little about the equaliser when it came 15 minutes from the end.

Zamora laid the ball off to Murphy and his shot was deflected in-off Kompany.

Although Mancini claimed afterwards that Dzeko had been fouled in the build-up, few home fans would have been bothered as they cheered an amazing recovery.

Fulham boss Martin Jol: "We came back from the death. We had no chance in the first half but we kept believing and although the second goal was a blow, we showed a lot of character to come back and exploit our chances better than we did in the last few matches."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14869932.stm

WhiteJC

Jol Delighted With Fulham Comeback

Fulham manager Martin Jol has expressed his delight after his team cam back from 2-0 down to salvage a point against Manchester City at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

The London outfit fell behind to two Sergio Aguero goals, but strikes from Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy saw the game finish 2-2.

With the quality on show for the visitors, the Dutch coach was ecstatic to get an unlikely point.

"We showed great spirit to comeback. We did different things in the second half better and maybe we were a little unlucky not to have scored more than two goals," he told Sky Sports.

"Although we wanted to put pressure on the Manchester City midfield, we couldn't handle Yaya Toure and Gareth Barry in the middle of the park, so that was the problem, but we put more pressure on them in the second half.

"We tried to get different players on the ball and we had nothing to lose, so that sometimes helps. To fight back against a team like City is unbelievable. If you get a bit of control and take the initiative, it helps," he continued.

Jol was full of praise for striker Zamora, who troubled the City rearguard throughout the encounter.

"He is capable of scoring out of nothing and that is what we need and that's what we need every game.

"If you ask him what is your best foot, he would say both feet. He had a shot in the first half which went over the roof but he will try, he's a confident player and what he did with the goal really helped us because it brought us back into the game."

Despite the morale boosting draw, the Cottagers are yet to record a victory this season, but Jol thinks this is only round the corner.

"That's the only thing. We need the points and we have played three home games and got three draws. We've been a bit unfortunate, but I'm sure it will come," he concluded.

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/09/football-news/jol-delighted-with-fulham-comeback?

WhiteJC

Mancini lacking players
City's Italian boss wants more midfield options

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini claims he is lacking midfielders in the wake of the team's 2-2 draw at Fulham on Sunday.

City led 2-0 at Craven Cottage thanks to Sergio Aguero's double before goals from Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy sealed an unlikely comeback.

Mancini's side tackled Napoli in their UEFA Champions League debut on Wednesday and the Italian tactician insists he would have made more changes to his team if he had more options.

With the likes of Nigel de Jong and James Milner on the sidelines City's manager only has Gareth Barry and Yaya Toure as options in the middle of the park.

Lacking

"We're lacking players at this moment," commented Mancini.

"I can only change the full-backs or the strikers.

"I have only two midfield players, as James Milner and Nigel De Jong are injured."

Disappointed

Mancini is not angry his players failed to pick up all three points from their weekend London trip, although he was disappointed by the result.

"Do we lack that? Yes, probably," he continued. "I'm not angry but I'm disappointed.

"My players probably thought they had done enough to win."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11679_7188353,00.html?

WhiteJC

West Brom: Peter Odemwingie claims Fulham game key to West Bromwich Albion revival

PETER Odemwingie conceded that Saturday's game against Fulham had taken on added importance due to Albion's defeat at Swansea.

The Baggies were comprehensively beaten by the Welsh club, slumping to their fourth defeat in five games.

This week Albion face Everton in Wednesday's Carling Cup clash before hosting Fulham in their first 3pm home game of the campaign.

It will be the first time Roy Hodgson has met his former club since his departure for Liverpool in summer 2010.

But for Odemwingie it is the need for points following Saturday's poor display, especially as Albion have lost their first two home games of the season.

"Of course it is more important now," said Odemwingie.

"It is a home game and we have lost the first two, so we want to win and have the feeling of a home victory.

"We want to build up our confidence for the coming home games.

"The gaffer said after the first half on Saturday that we could have a bad day, but it's never a bad day to run as much as you can and give your best.

"It can be a bad day with the ball or scoring goals but you have to make sure you give your best and not concede too many goals to make sure you don't lose by too many.

"These are games that you always want to forget and there are always bad days during the season.

"Now we have to forget this and get our points at home this week."

Meanwhile, Odemwingie insisted he was concerned about the well-being of Neil Taylor following their sickening clash in the second half.

Taylor needed oxygen and had his head placed in a neck brace following nearly eight minutes of treatment.

Odemwingie was booked for the challenge but insisted that there was no malice involved.

"I got booked but no footballer every wants a situation like that, either to hurt themselves or someone else," continued Odemwingie.

"I thought he wouldn't go for the ball and would be scared to go for it so I went in 100 per cent and unfortunately we collided head to head.

"He got hurt and that's why I get a yellow card, but the intention is never there to hit someone in the head because I could have got a worse injury than any defender when he is heading the ball.

"I thought I would get the ball and he would not go for it. It is just unfortunate.

"I didn't know how bad he was but when I saw the medical people bringing out more stuff I asked the linesman if I could go on and check if he was okay because I might not see him afterwards.

"He asked the ref, who said I could go on quickly, so I went on to say sorry because I didn't know it would be that period.

"After the game I spoke to the doctors who said they were all precautions and nothing serious happened, so I am very happy about that."

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/09/19/west-brom-peter-odemwingie-claims-fulham-game-key-to-west-bromwich-albion-revival-97319-29445695/2/#ixzz1YOapHQrj

WhiteJC

Belief the key to comeback - Jol

Martin Jol praised Fulham's 'spirit' and 'belief' after they battled back from 2-0 down to secure a point against Manchester City.

The Cottagers boss feared the worst when Sergio Aguero's brace put Roberto Mancini's men on the road to a fifth successive Premier League win at Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon.

However, the hosts stormed back in the second half to salvage a draw thanks to goals from Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy.

"It was unexpected to come back at the death," said Jol.

"But we scored one and had the belief. It's a fantastic achievement to recover against them.

"We showed great spirit to comeback."

On his side's finishing, Jol added: "We had four opportunities and scored two goals, which is good."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/belief-the-key-to-comeback---jol-1289997.html?

WhiteJC

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini bemoans depth of squad after 2-2 draw against Fulham
Roberto Mancini suggested he needed even more players after watching his side surrender their 100 per cent start to the Premier League season.

Manchester City's three-year spending spree may be fast approaching £400 million, but they blew the chance to open a top-flight campaign with five straight victories when Fulham came from 2-0 down to draw Sunday's game at Craven Cottage.

The result was the first blow to the visitors' title hopes and, coming four days after they made their Champions League bow, it cast doubt on their ability to cope with the dual demands of domestic and European football.

And manager Mancini bemoaned his inability to rest the likes of Yaya Toure and Gareth Barry with James Milner and Nigel De Jong currently sidelined through injury.

Asked if that meant he did not have enough players, he added: "We are lacking at this moment because we lost two midfielders.

"I don't have players at the moment. I can only change the fullbacks. I have only two midfielders, because James and De Jong have injuries."

Mancini also appeared to admit his players lacked the mentality of champions after watching them waste numerous chances to kill off opponents for the third time in eight days.

"What team comes here against Fulham in London and has over 70 per cent of ball possession?" he added. "We had the same problem against Wigan at home. We had 15 chances in the first half and we scored only one goal.

"It doesn't always go well if you don't score, if you don't close the game."

Mancini was unhappy with the way his star-studded attackers defended, too, accusing them of shirking their responsibilities.

"For 10 minutes, we defended with five or six players. It is not good enough," he said. "I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed because we conceded two stupid goals."

Those were scored by Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy after Sergio Aguero continued his sensational start to life in England with the seventh and eighth goals of his five-game Premier League career.

Fulham should have been even more tired than their opponents, having had 24 hours less of a rest after their Europa League game.

But after a lethargic first half, they were full of beans in the second, fighting back to haul themselves off the foot of the table.

Manager Martin Jol, who is still searching for his first league win in charge, admitted being bottom had been "awful".

He added: "We played two away games and had to play in Europe as well so it wasn't easy, but you have to win your home games.

"Luckily enough, for now, we are 18th. It looks better."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8773192/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-bemoans-depth-of-squad-after-2-2-draw-against-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Carling Cup Just What Chelsea Need After Old Trafford Defeat

Chelsea won't have to wait long for a quick chance to set the record straight following the defeat at Old Trafford, they can return to winning ways on Wednesday at Stamford Bridge against locals Fulham. The odds suggest it should be a very comfortable victory and that looks very likely, despite Fulham earning a good point against Man City on Sunday.

Chelsea go into this match as the narrow second favourites in the outright Carling Cup Odds, Man City are the current favourites at 11/2 with Chelsea just behind at 6/1. Man City seem to already be struggling to balance Champions League football and a Premiership challenge, they drew their first Champions League match at home and then the first weekend league match after a Champions League fixture saw them fail to win at Fulham. The Carling Cup provides Andre Villas-Boas with a relatively easy opportunity to win a trophy in his first season at Chelsea and it would be a surprise if he didn't field a pretty serious side for Wednesday's match.

Fulham are yet to win a domestic match this season and are surely massively up against it at Stamford Bridge.  In the last ten fixtures between the two sides at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea have won seven of the matches and the other three have ended all square. This means combined with Fulham's form this season we can pretty much rule out an away win at 9/1 whilst the draw still seems quite unlikely with Chelsea winning the last three home games against Fulham, the draw is available at 4/1. Chelsea are relatively short to win this match as many would expect, 4/11 are the best odds on a home win at the time of writing and that looks a fair bet.

This match may be a chance for us to get a good look at summer signing Romelu Lukaku with Villas-Boas likely to rest a few players, the Belgian striker is rated at 5/1 to score first whilst Fernando Torres, who scored a great goal at Old Trafford and then followed it up with a shocking miss is available at 7/2 to score first. The Fulham strikers might not get much joy, Fulham have scored just two goals in the last four matches at Stamford Bridge, one of the best bets on this match could be a clean sheet for Chelsea at 23/20.

http://www.cfcnet.co.uk/2011/09/19/carling-cup-just-what-chelsea-need-after-old-trafford-defeat/?

WhiteJC

No win, but Fulham's confidence restored after superb comeback

Manchester City boss the first half, but Whites fight back in second much to the delight of Jol

Fulham may not have gained that first Premier League win of the season, but the manner of their comeback against Manchester City will give them the boost they need to kickstart their league campaign.

Frustrating home draws against Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers meant that before kick-off on Sunday the Whites were at the foot of the Premier League having not won a league match all season.

Fulham boss Martin Jol described that scenario as 'awful' And when Sergio Aguero scored either side of half time to put City two goals up, it looked like the Cottagers would remain rooted to the table.

However second half goals from Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy meant Fulham gained a deserved point from the match.

"We were a bit tired but you could say they were a bit tired as well," he said.

"It was a fantastic achievement to come back against them. I am not sure if they will give away leads like this in the future.

"To come back from the death is what we probably did, but we scored and we had to believe."

Jol had moaned in the past and rightfully so about his side's inability to create chances, but the Dutchman was all smiles in the post match press conference.

"Today we had four opportunities and scored two goals - that is good," he said.

"The spirit will always be 100 per cent if you get results, and we didn't have the results - as simple as that.

"To show against a team like that you can come back after scoring two goals must have given us a big boost and confidence for the future."

Fulham face Chelsea on Wednesday in the third round of the Carling Cup and Jol admitted he will make changes with a trip to West Brom on Saturday a good opportunity for the Whites to pick up their first win of the season.

"We have 22 players now," he said. "There is a lot of youngsters and I have to integrate them.

"Kasami has showed he can be a part of the squad. That's good for us.

"We can play with a different team on Wednesday. I can still sleep on it for a few days."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/no_win_but_fulham_s_confidence_restored_after_superb_comeback_1_1026485?

WhiteJC

Stopper set to Hang around

Fulham are reportedly set to offer central defender Brede Hangeland a new contract extension at Craven Cottage.

The 30-year-old Norwegian stopper still has just under two years remaining on his current deal and boss Martin Jol usually lets his experienced players run them down, to ensure they remain on top of their game to try and earn a new one.

However, Hangeland could be targeted by several rival Premier League clubs in the January window and Jol will look to ward off the vultures by tying down one of his most influential performers to a long-term stay at Craven Cottage.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/stopper-set-to-hang-around-1290011.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham2 Manchester City 2: Stuart Brenan's verdict

Danny Murphy's free-kick found the back of the City net to earn Fulham a point

City's title rivals, looking for signs of post-Champions League hangover, found plenty of evidence as the Blues tossed away a two-goal lead.

The script for the season reads that the Blues – unused to juggling the heightened demands of taking on Europe's elite with the more physical, less cerebral challenges of the Premier League – might suffer as a result.

The expectation from the nodding heads of the Premier League and its press pack is that City will find the dual burdens too much to bear and do what Tottenham did last season.

Four days after the Napoli match, this was the first opportunity to scrutinise the Blues for any cracks which might appear, and the critics were not disappointed.

The validity of using this game to take City's temperature was tempered by the fact that Fulham were also coming straight out of European competition, following Thursday's draw with FC Twente in the Europa League.

But the Cottagers rested four players for that one, while City's only changes – again – came in the full-back positions, where Micah Richards and Gael Clichy replaced Pablo Zabaleta and Aleks Kolarov.

The difficulties became apparent when manager Roberto Mancini took off the tiring Sergio Aguero – whose two clinical goals had put them in the driving seat – and David Silva, whose excellence had spurred City to that position.

The early signs were not great for the Blues.

Vincent Kompany nervously and unnecessarily gave away a corner, the ball was bouncing off Edin Dzeko like a pinball bumper, Joe Hart dangerously smashed a free-kick across the face of his own box and almost let in Clint Dempsey, and there was a sluggish feel to City's possession football.

That changed suddenly, and inevitably it was Silva who sparked things. Kompany began the move with a perfectly-executed tackle on the edge of his own box, quickly freeing the little Spaniard for a scampering run.

He arrowed a pass to Samir Nasri and then dashed for the return, the only disappointment in a scything move being his finish into the side netting.

It was almost as if that move clicked things back neatly into place, as the Blues kept the ball, probed and remained patient as Fulham tried to ape Napoli and squeeze the space in the final third with alert, determined defending.

The Londoners' manager Martin Jol went into this game with a record of six wins from six in Premier League games against City, from his days as Tottenham boss – he also knocked them out of the Uefa Cup with Hamburg three seasons ago.

But City set about ending that record and on 18 minutes moved smoothly ahead.

Gareth Barry, running things in his efficient, effective manner, did the unglamorous stuff, working the ball around the packed defence and then darting a pass in to Silva.

His control and instant pass to Aguero were of top quality, and the little Argentinian tucked it away in clinical style.

Fulham were not tempted to come out of their shell.

Their philosophy remained to sit deep and try to frustrate the Blues, while hoping for a break at the other end.

But now City were in the mood and Mark Schwarzer became a central figure for the home team.

He clawed the ball away from Edin Dzeko's head as Aguero crossed with menace, turned Clichy's pile-driver round the post and then, best of all, produced a magnificent reflex save to push Dzeko's cracking shot over the bar.

At this point it seemed that the only edifice about to crumble was the one Fulham had tried to build between City and their goal.

Confirmation of that came just 10 seconds into the second half, as City went route one from the kick-off.

The ball was played back to Clichy and he launched it long for Dzeko, whose header was perfect for Aguero.

The finish from the City new boy was never in doubt.

Now was the time for the Blues to show the ruthlessness that Mancini had spoken of two days before – Fulham were down, and needed to be knocked out.

But instead the Cottagers took advantage of some slack City defending to haul themselves back into it.

Mousa Dembele and Dempsey were allowed too much time to work an opening, and Bobby Zamora was left unmarked to turn and crash his shot past Hart.

The whole mood changed in a heartbeat, and moments later Richards was forced into an athletic chase and well-timed tackle to prevent Dempsey from sprinting through on goal.

Then Hart was forced into a tremendous save, diving full length to push the ball round the post from Dembele's shot.

Mancini's concern was obvious as he took off Silva – playing his third game of the week and clearly tiring – and put on Pablo Zabaleta to offer his beleaguered defence better protection.

It didn't work. Fulham had their tails up and inevitably grabbed an equaliser with quarter of an hour to go.

Again City failed to close down well enough and Danny Murphy's shot cannoned off Kompany to wrong-foot Hart and nestle in the corner.

With Aguero and Silva departed, the Blues lost all attacking momentum and were left clinging to a point.

Now they have to show that this was a blip, and not a sign of weakness.   

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1459034_fulham2-manchester-city-2-stuart-brenans-verdict?

WhiteJC

The Cottage Rocks!

John Arne Riise has described the atmosphere at Craven Cottage as "incredible" as the Norwegian international experienced the famous SW6 powers of recovery for the first time.

A fine second-half showing saw the Whites come from two goals down against in-form Manchester City with many outside of the Club all but writing off our chances when Sergio Aguero netted a second just 12 seconds after the interval.

However, Martin Jol's side responded positively and burst into life when Bobby Zamora fired home following a clever move involving Mousa Dembélé and Clint Dempsey.

From that moment the Fulham faithful sensed another remarkable comeback could be on the cards and as their noise spread down to the pitch, the Whites started creating opportunities almost at will as the previously rampant City were forced back onto the defensive.

When Danny Murphy's shot deflected beyond Joe Hart on 75 minutes, the sound that enveloped the Cottage drew memories of Juventus and Hamburg all over again.

"Before I signed for the Club I had heard a lot about Fulham's team spirit and on Sunday I saw it for myself," said Riise speaking exclusively to fulhamfc.com. "My brother [Bjorn] and Brede [Hangeland] had told me stories about the character of the team and the atmosphere of the Cottage – they were right because both were incredible.

"The ground was rocking in the second-half and that spread down to the pitch. We knew that the fans were behind us and it gave us that little bit extra. We pressed City higher, forced them to make errors and had them on the back foot for long spells.

"I thought we were awesome in the second-half and to be honest I think we could have won it at the end, but we can't dwell on that for too long because at 2-0 down we were out of the game.

"But we suddenly grew in confidence, and when Bobby [Zamora] got the goal we really felt that we could get ourselves back into it. The crowd certainly felt so and you could tell that they were willing us forward.
"When Danny [Murphy] scored the second, the place just erupted - it really was an amazing sound and feeling."

Although the Whites had to make do with a share of the points, in many ways it was a performance that felt more like a victory – judging by the noise at the end those in attendance certainly felt like it did.

"In a strange way it did feel like a win," added Riise. "As I said, perhaps we could have taken more? But we have to be happy with the outcome. Of course, City are a very good side and one that have spent a lot of money. They have some wonderful players and they came into the match having won all four of their previous league games.

"I'm not sure how many people would have backed us to come back, but it's not the first time it has happened at the Cottage is it? I was told all about the fight against relegation a few years back and then there those unbelievable European games – so this is a special place for that.

"I know things haven't gone as we had hoped so far, but with such team spirit we will be fine. We are a good team and hopefully the result against City will give us a bit of rhythm now.

"It is a long season and we have plenty of football still to play. For me, each game is getting better and through a lot of hard work and passion we will keep going."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/RiiseCityReaction.aspx?#ixzz1YOdT8UId

WhiteJC

VMC's Some Might Say: Frustration At Fulham

The sixteenth and seventeenth goals of City's first five league games weren't enough to see off Fulham. Post match reaction to the draw that felt like a defeat...

This time last season The Blues had scored only six goals in their first five games and had secured only eight points as opposed to this week's total of thirteen. Yet having thrown away a two goal lead, the first dropped points of the campaign are bitterly disappointing.

Roberto Mancini:

'It is incredible that we lost these two points. Of course you cannot win every game away from home but this is one that we should have won. We should have scored more than one goal in the first half just like we should have scored more than against Wigan in the first half when we were similarly dominant. We have to learn the lessons.

'I thought about more changes but I don't have James Milner or Nigel De Jong available. We were tired after the Champions League game and David has played all the games. We needed some fresh legs in midfield and either he or Samir Nasri had to come off.'

Martin Jol:

'To show against a team like Manchester City that you can come back and score two goals, must have given us a big boost and confidence for the future. We were a little bit tired but you could see they were as well, after playing in midweek.

'It was a fantastic achievement to come back against them because I don't think they'll give away leads like that again in the future.'

Read more: http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=256036#ixzz1YOdnWDlZ

WhiteJC

Kasami hails courageous Cottagers
Fulham - Pajtim Kasami hails second-half display

Pajtim Kasami has paid tribute to his Fulham teammates after a 'magnificent' second-half display helped the Cottagers claim a point against Manchester City.

Roberto Mancini's big-spending side were two goals ahead through Sergio Aguero's double, but strikes from Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy saw the hosts claim an unlikely point at Craven Cottage.

Kasami, who joined this summer from Palermo, admitted that the signs looked ominous after the first 45 minutes, but believes the team showed their capabilities with the rousing comeback.

"This was always going to be a difficult game for us. Alongside United, City are the team to beat at the moment. They had won all their previous league games and I think some had predicted that would continue today," said the 19-year-old.

"That certainly looked the case as they had they enjoyed the better first-half and scored that early goal in the second. We needed to find a response and what followed was probably the best football we have played this season. The second-half performance was magnificent.

"We kept the ball, frustrated them when they had it and really put them under pressure. On another day we could well have sneaked three points, because we had a couple of chances."

A Swiss youth international, Kasami was pleased with his performances on an individual basis, coming off the bench for Damien Duff during the second period.

And despite a lack of experience in the English game, the midfielder admits he is enjoying the excitement that comes with the Barclays Premier League, and is hopeful of more chances against either Chelsea in the Carling Cup or West Brom in the league next weekend.

"It was good to be involved in a game like that. I came on at a point when we were chasing the game, which was difficult. But as the game swung we sensed we could do something," he continued when speaking to the official Fulham website.

"This is what the Premier League is all about - it's exciting. I haven't been at the Club for too long, but I've really enjoyed myself so far. Hopefully I can be involved in more games like this and play my part for the team.

"We have a game against Chelsea in the League Cup on Wednesday and then West Brom in the league next weekend. This performance will serve as a real boost and hopefully we can use the momentum."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/kasami-hails-courageous-cottagers?

WhiteJC

Riise revels in Fulham comeback
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 19, 2011

John Arne Riise has said Fulham's team spirit carried them to an unlikely comeback against Manchester City yesterday.

The Norwegian left back also told the offal that the noise generated by a delirious home crowd was 'incredible' and he believes that Fulham should move clear of the relegation zone in the coming weeks.

Before I signed for the club I had heard a lot about Fulham's team spirit and on Sunday I saw it for myself. My brother and Brede had told me stories about the character of the team and the atmosphere of the Cottage – they were right because both were incredible.

The ground was rocking in the second-half and that spread down to the pitch. We knew that the fans were behind us and it gave us that little bit extra. We pressed City higher, forced them to make errors and had them on the back foot for long spells. I thought we were awesome in the second-half and to be honest I think we could have won it at the end, but we can't dwell on that for too long because at 2-0 down we were out of the game.

But we suddenly grew in confidence, and when Bobby got the goal we really felt that we could get ourselves back into it. The crowd certainly felt so and you could tell that they were willing us forward. When Danny scored the second, the place just erupted – it really was an amazing sound and feeling.

In a strange way it did feel like a win. As I said, perhaps we could have taken more? But we have to be happy with the outcome. Of course, City are a very good side and one that have spent a lot of money. They have some wonderful players and they came into the match having won all four of their previous league games.

I'm not sure how many people would have backed us to come back, but it's not the first time it has happened at the Cottage is it? I was told all about the fight against relegation a few years back and then there those unbelievable European games – so this is a special place for that.

I know things haven't gone as we had hoped so far, but with such team spirit we will be fine. We are a good team and hopefully the result against City will give us a bit of rhythm now.

It is a long season and we have plenty of football still to play. For me, each game is getting better and through a lot of hard work and passion we will keep going.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/riise-revels-in-fulham-comeback/?

WhiteJC

Fulham are ready for lift-off, insists Bobby Zamora

Bobby Zamora today insisted Fulham can use their sensational comeback against Manchester City as a launchpad to escape the Premier League relegation zone.

Zamora's second-half strike inspired Fulham to claw back from 2-0 down against City and end the 100 per cent domestic record of Roberto Mancini's megabucks team.

It was Zamora's second goal in successive Premier League starts, a statistic he hopes may alert England manager Fabio Capello ahead of the European Championship qualifier in Montenegro on October 7.

But of greater immediate importance, it helped lift Fulham off bottom place in the table where they resided going into yesterday's game.

However, all is still not rosy in the Craven Cottage garden. Martin Jol remains without a League victory in his first season in charge. And Fulham, who are 18th in the table, are now the only top flight side without a win.

But Zamora said: "It means nothing at the minute, in terms of looking at the table. I don't think you can tell anything until a good 10 to 15 games into the season.

"This was a great point for us. Craven Cottage has always been our fortress, we've always done well here. Hopefully, we can continue now and kick on. One win and you're halfway up the table."

There had seemed little grounds for such optimism after Sergio Aguero beat Fulham's offside trap to score in the 18th minute and then stunned the home side just 10 seconds into the second half with a second goal that threatened to open the floodgates.

In 46 minutes and 10 seconds - including a minute of time added to the first half - City had equalled Fulham's goal tally from four-and-a- half League matches, exposing what Jol believed was his team's lack of a "cutting edge".

But Zamora, who netted the equaliser in the 1-1 draw against Blackburn seven days earlier, is sharpening his skills nicely despite the lingering effects of an ankle injury.

His 55th-minute effort from the edge of the area, which had the beating of England goalkeeper Joe Hart from the moment it left the toe of his right boot, had international class written all over it. But he admitted there was an element of luck about the goal.

"Originally I wanted to set up someone else," he said. "But my touch wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. That worked out fortunate for me, to set myself up for the shot."

Might he and Hart be reunited in Capello's next squad? Zamora, who won his only England cap as half-time substitute in last year's 2-1 win over Hungary in a friendly at Wembley, said: "We've got a lot of great strikers in England. But I'll keep working away. If I'm there, then it will be superb."

A lingering concern is stiffness in the ankle he injured last season and Jol is likely to rest Zamora from Wednesday's Carling Cup clash at Chelsea so that he is fit for next Saturday's clash with a West Brom side led by former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson.

Albion were demoted to the foot of the table by Danny Murphy's 75th-minute equaliser against City, the skipper's long-range shot going in off the post via a wicked deflection from the knee of Vincent Kompany.

It was about time Fulham enjoyed a lucky break, although a point was also the reward for some superb goalkeeping by Mark Schwarzer and fine play by Chris Baird, Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey.

Jol said: "To show against a team like Manchester City that you can come back must give us a big boost and confidence for the future."

He revealed the West Brom game is likely to take preference over the midweek derby at Stamford Bridge.

"I think there will be a lot of changes," he added.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23988665-fulham-are-ready-for-lift-off-insists-bobby-zamora.do?

WhiteJC

Cottage Cheer At Last

A vibrant second 45 against the 'Millionarios of Manchester' really had the Cottage rocking for the first time this season. Still no wins...but belief is back.

Following a crazy set of results Saturday night was not pleasant for Whites fans as we looked up from last place in the division. Winless and probably weary from Thursday night, I think a majority of us approached the arrival of Citeh with some trepidation. They'd thumped us 4-1 last November, and had improved the side even further since then, with the Argentine Aguerro looking absolutely world class. Remembering what they'd done to Spurs left me hoping we might just escape without too much damage to our GD.

But, of course, I should have known better. This is Fulham after all. Off the pace once again in the first-half, conceding midfield to Barry and Toure, Schwarzer keeping us in the game - just - and little happening for Jol's formation going forward...well, let's be honest. Who else didn't think we were dead and buried 12 seconds into the 2nd half when Aguerro caught us stone cold from the restart?

But Fulham turned the game on its head. Not only were we full value for our point, few might have found against us had we sneaked all three points. I can't put my finger on where the impetus came from, certainly not in terms of shape or tactics, but suddenly we were actually making real inroads into the opposing box, Bobby pulled out a cracker, and now it was Hart's excellence keeping his side afloat, while Mark was largely a spectator.

Sidwell had one of his best games marauding around in midfield, Dembele ran with far more purpose, the back four looked the solid unit of old again (especially with Baird back in place of Senderos). And 'doing the Poznan' at the Hammy End created more mirth than I've witnessed at the ground since the playing days of Jimmy Hill!

I'm not going to over-analyze the performance or suggest we're now on our way to the top six, but it could well be the tuning point we have been craving. It's over to you guys to pass up your verdict on where Fulham go next after this very positive result.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/09/cottage_cheer_at_last.php?

WhiteJC

FULHAM 2 MANCHESTER CITY 2
MANCINI ACCUSES HIS PLAYERS

Roberto Mancini accused his star-studded Manchester City attack of shirking their defensive duties as well as wastefulness in front of goal after they blew a 2-0 lead to surrender their 100% start to the Premier League season.

The result was the first blow to City's title hopes, allowing rivals Manchester United to open up a two-point lead at the top of the table.

Mancini said: "This could be a lesson for us.

"Because when you dominate a game like we did today, and you score only two goals, it's a problem.

"For 10 or 15 minutes after Fulham scored, they played very well.

"But a football match is 95 minutes and a top team like us needs to have more control of the game.

"I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed because we conceded two stupid goals."

Mancini also appeared to concede his players were not currently showing the mentality of champions.

"Probably, probably," he said, before claiming they had been tired by their midweek Champions League exertions.

"If we had other players, probably we would make other changes.

"I don't have players at the moment. I can only change the full-backs.

"I have only two midfielders, because James (Milner) and (Nigel) De Jong have injuries."

It was pointed out that Fulham also had injuries and had played in the Europa League 24 hours after City's Champions League game. Mancini claimed the Cottagers had made "five or six changes" but in fact they had made only four, with the Italian making just two.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11121015.php?

WhiteJC

FULHAM 2 MANCHESTER CITY 2
JOL DELIGHTED WITH FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT

Fulham boss Martin Jol prasied his "tired" team for a "fantastic achievement" after they clawed their way back from a 2-0 deficit to earn a draw against Manchester City at Craven Cottage.

Jol said: "We were a bit tired but you could say they were a bit tired as well. It was a fantastic achievement to come back against them. I am not sure if they will give away leads like this in the future.

"To come back from the death is what we probably did, but we scored and we had to believe."

Unlike Roberto Mancini, Jol was delighted with his side's conversion rate after they struggled to put away Aston Villa and Blackburn in their previous two home games.

"Today we had four opportunities and scored two goals - that is good," he said.

"The spirit will always be 100% if you get results, and we didn't have the results - as simple as that.

"To show against a team like that you can come back after scoring two goals must have given us a big boost and confidence for the future."

Jol admitted it had been "awful" propping up the table.

He said: "We played two away games and had to play in Europe as well so it wasn't easy, but you have to win your home games.

"Luckily enough, for now, we are 18th. It looks better."

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11121016.php?