more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2011, 07:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Strength in Depth

Despite the disappointment of Wednesday evening's penalty shoot-out defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, the display from the Fulham team gave Whites midfielder Steve Sidwell plenty to be pleased about – as he explained to fulhamfc.com.

"We made a few changes to the team but I thought the boys did terrific," Sidwell assessed. "Throughout the whole 90 minutes we had more than enough chances to win the game, it was a great match with end-to-end stuff.

"Obviously we were disappointed to go out on penalties and not win it during the game considering we had eleven men against ten for the majority. But I think the performance from the lads in general lifted the camp.

"If we had gone there and performed badly and lost, that would have been much worse. But we're still disappointed to have gone out because this was a competition that we could have gone far in.

"Everyone that came in had a point to prove to the Manager. The performance last night is going to give the Manager a selection headache for future games - but it's great for him to know that if there are injures or if he wants to rest or rotate the team, we have players who can come in and perform at that level."

The games continue to come thick and fast for Martin Jol's team with a trip to the Hawthorns on Saturday next up. With Roy Hodgson's side sitting at the foot of the table, Sidwell is more than aware of the threat posed by the Baggies.

"They're a good solid side," he said. "Results haven't gone for them recently but the table doesn't lie, we're both down there and it's a big game even though it's early on in the season.

"As the years go by and the Premier League gets stronger, three points is harder to come by – there are no gifts in this league so we have to work hard to get every point.

"The Hawthorns is always a tough place to go, I've played there before and with them being at the bottom of the table their crowd's going to be right behind them and getting their players motivated. But that's an incentive for us to go there, quieten the home fans down a bit and try and stamp our authority on the game."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/SidwellChelseaReaction.aspx?#ixzz1YknWfwwB

WhiteJC

Jol - Plain Honest!

The controversial ending to our Carling Cup tie, against Chelsea last night, could have provoked a blast or two from many a manager.

Plenty of other managers would have stood on their soap boxes and swore to high heaven that the penalty, in the shoot-out, from Bryan Ruiz had crossed the line.

Rhyme or reason wouldn`t have come into it as histrionics would have taken over.

But Martin Jol wasn`t like that last night, instead he took it fairly and squarely on the chin, remarking,

"I knew it hadn`t gone in."

An honest manager in top-flight football, a rarity if you ask me!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=256502#ixzz1YknsT8b0

WhiteJC

Saluting the Young Man!

Defeat in a penalty shoot-out is always a bitter pill to swallow.

The lottery of entering into such a farcical situation seems to negate all the effort and hard work that was put in during those hectic 120 minutes.

Everyone knows that luck plays an important part in these situations and that even the hardiest of professionals can succumb to the pressure, even more so when, as last night, the shoot-out occurred in front of the opposition home end.

But, walking away from such a defeat it`s always good to seek some kind of comfort in an outstanding performance put in by an individual, last night that performance came from Kerim Frei.

The performance given by this young man, in taking the fight to Chelsea, was one to be admired and at times it looked as if the best Chelsea (and England) has to offer, in John Terry, couldn`t quite handle him.

Before the season started many column inches were written about Jol`s search for a striker to complement Zamora, Dembele and Johnson. Sa and the expensive Ruiz were brought in, but something tells me that Frei, given half a chance, could turn out to be something really special.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=256504#ixzz1Yko7jZ86

WhiteJC

Never a Truer Word!

Exiting Stamford Bridge last night, with the realization that we`d come so near but were still so far from ending that run of thirty-two years without a victory at Stamford Bridge, the words of Martin Jol could have been any truer.

The Dutchman, who watched us push Chelsea all the way, gave us a one-line quote that will reverberate around our heads for many a day, when he remarked,

"I still feel we could have beaten Chelsea here for the first time in 32 years."

Hopefully, last night will give us added determination to right this wrong when we clash in the Premier League, at Stamford Bridge, later in the season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=256503#ixzz1YkocRGOx

WhiteJC

Ruiz Report

Bryan Ruiz will certainly remember his first few games in English football.

Having made his debut, against Blackburn, and subsequently being hauled off at half time as the pace was far too hot for him, the Costa Rican was given a two hour run-out last night in a frantic local derby.

By the end of the 120 minutes Ruiz looked to be visibly wilting but fate still had one cruel trick to play on the £10 million forward with it being Ruiz that missed, in controversial fashion, that fateful spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out.

But, despite the uncertain start we`re sure that Ruiz will come good and prove his worth in English football.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=256505#ixzz1YkorGGXe

WhiteJC

West Brom v Fulham betting tips
Fulham's poor away record could count against them when they visit the Hawthorns, so bet on a West Brom win.

Two early season strugglers go head-to-head at the Hawthorns on Saturday, with home side West Brom favourites to pick up a win over Fulham with odds of 5/4.

Both teams find themselves in the relegation zone after five games having picked up just three points so far.

Of the two, West Brom certainly look the best bets to claim a victory and move up the table, not least because of Fulham's recent run of two consecutive away league defeats.

The Lilywhites, priced at 11/5 to secure all three points in bwin's 3Way football betting market, have a poor record away from the comforts of Craven Cottage.

Last season they managed only three victories and scored an average of just a goal a game on their travels.

It was even worse the year before, when Fulham achieved only one victory on the road and scored just 12 goals in their 19 away league matches.

But although games featuring Fulham playing away from home rarely end in a win for the Lilywhites, they have also proven difficult to beat, with defeat avoid more than 50 per cent of the time over the last two seasons.

The main reason for this is Fulham's commendable defensive record on the road during this period, which has helped to mask their attacking deficiencies.

This suggests there could be value in a draw at 11/5, although the better bet looks to be on there being fewer than 2.5 goals in the game.

On average, this has been the case in Fulham's away matches over the last past two years, making odds of 7/10 on there being no more than two goals particularly attractive.

However, with Fulham without a win in the league this season and with that run of away defeats weighing against them, West Brom to win and under 2.5 combined goals could offer better value at odds of 4/1.

http://bwinbetting.com/west-brom-fulham-betting-tips,7054.html?

WhiteJC

Plenty to build on, says Sidwell
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 22, 2011

Steve Sidwell has been picking out the positives from last night's disappointing penalty shoot-out defeat at Chelsea in the Carling Cup.

The Fulham midfielder, who replaced the impressive Marcel Gecov towards the end of normal time at Stamford Bridge, says the quality of Fulham's performance, given the experimental nature of Martin Jol's starting eleven, has given the squad a real boost.

We made a few changes to the team but I thought the boys did terrific. Throughout the whole 90 minutes we had more than enough chances to win the game, it was a great match with end-to-end stuff.

Obviously we were disappointed to go out on penalties and not win it during the game considering we had eleven men against ten for the majority. But I think the performance from the lads in general lifted the camp.

If we had gone there and performed badly and lost, that would have been much worse. But we're still disappointed to have gone out because this was a competition that we could have gone far in.

Everyone that came in had a point to prove to the manager. The performance last night is going to give the Manager a selection headache for future games – but it's great for him to know that if there are injures or if he wants to rest or rotate the team, we have players who can come in and perform at that level.

Attention now switches to Saturday's game at West Brom with Fulham still searching for their first win of the season. Sidwell recognises that it will be a tough task at the Hawthorns.

They're a good solid side. Results haven't gone for them recently but the table doesn't lie, we're both down there and it's a big game even though it's early on in the season.

As the years go by and the Premier League gets stronger, three points is harder to come by – there are no gifts in this league so we have to work hard to get every point. The Hawthorns is always a tough place to go, I've played there before and with them being at the bottom of the table their crowd's going to be right behind them and getting their players motivated. But that's an incentive for us to go there, quieten the home fans down a bit and try and stamp our authority on the game.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/plenty-to-build-on-says-sidwell/?

WhiteJC

Frei catches the eye

After falling just short in a penalty shoot-out at Stamford Bridge, disappointment was the prevailing emotion. But there was plenty to be positive about during the course of a pulsating derby last night, not least the performance of some of Fulham's fringe players. The most eye-catching display came from Swiss midfielder Kerim Frei, still only 17, who might just have forced his way into Martin Jol's first-team plans with his direct running, pace and creativity.

The teenager had already showed his potential in our early Europa League qualifiers but there's been a buzz about Frei since he signed for Fulham last January. A good friend of mine was raving about 'Fulham's Messi' after his first couple of appearances for the under-18 side and Frei's come to the fore since Martin Jol replaced Mark Hughes and opted to give some of our promising youngsters an opportunity. He looked lively during his debut in the Faroe Islands and offered plenty of skill and threatening running when he was ended his first start against Crusaders in Belfast. With a little more luck, one of his mazy runs in the home leg might have been rewarded with his first goal when he was introduced as a late substitute at the Cottage. There's a big step between taking on part-timers and delivering against Chelsea in a local derby, but young Frei looked far from fearful as he ran at the home defence.

He wasn't afraid to take on his man, giving both full-backs – the experienced Paolo Ferreira and the highly-rated Ryan Bertrand – a real examination, even if he did tire towards the end of normal time. With his low centre of gravity, standing at just 5ft 6in, and dribbling ability, Frei reminds me of a young Steed Malbranque with a little more pace. He was confident enough to step over the ball, try a few tricks and turns, and there's no doubt Jol would have been impressed with his evening's work.

The highlight of his night was that lovely interchange with Bryan Ruiz to win the penalty. Such direct running gave Chelsea's defence a real problem all evening and provoked a clumsy challenge from Alex, an experienced defender. It was just a shame that he couldn't cap his evening with the goal his whole-hearted performance merited, snatching at a decent opportunity on his left foot as Ross Turnbull came rushing off his line.

Such a precious talent needs to be handled with care. He's obviously very confident in his ability, but just as pleasing was his awareness of those around him. He rarely gave the ball away and got his head up to find team-mates in space. The temptation would be include Frei regularly in the first team-squad now, but a mixture of reserve team football and the odd cameo off the bench might be better for the youngster's development. Frei's already given an indication of his ability with the development squad, scoring this terrific goal against Manchester United's reserves the other week. If he can bulk up a little more in the coming year and avoid being knocked off the ball, he'll be competing for a first-team spot sooner rather than later.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/frei-catches-the-eye/?

WhiteJC

WEST BROM v FULHAM
BAGGIES NEED TO BANISH SWANSEA NIGHTMARE

James Morrison has admitted that his West Brom side need to banish the nightmare of Saturday's beating at Swansea.

Heading into Saturday's clash with Fulham, midfielder Morrison reckoned Roy Hodgson's side were "one dimensional" in the 3-0 defeat.

And he admitted: "It's early days but we don't want to be adrift from the pack in the table.

"I think we're a bit one-dimensional and we need to work on how we're going to cope with teams when they are causing us problems.

"Saturday was a disappointing day but we've got another game which is a good opportunity to put it right.

"Fulham are a team who are at a similar level to us and it will be a chance to show how good we are."

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11121088.php?

WhiteJC

Another reason to hate Robbie Savage

Just in case you were warming to everyone's favourite new pundit, here's an extract from his Daily Mirror column:

I've said much the same thing to other players and it's been forgotten by the handshake at the end of the match.

Although once I did go too far.

Leicester were in a shoot-out against Fulham and Geoff Horsfield, who I'd found out was a builder, was stepping up to take his kick.

So I said, "after you miss this, any chance of you doing me a patio?"

He didn't see the funny side, but I did... until I joined Birmingham and found out The Horse, who'd they'd signed earlier, wanted to kill me.

That League Cup quarter-final will stay with me for a long time. Fulham were 2-0 up and cruising with ten minutes to go when Paul Bracewell decided to replace Paul Peschisolido with Rufus Brevett. Leicester grabbed two goals to take it into extra-time. The Whites couldn't hold onto a lead Chris Coleman gave them in the extra 30 minutes and eventually lost 3-0 on penalties, with Coleman and Horsfield both missing. Remembering that makes me marvel at the fact that we scored three spot-kicks last night.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/another-reason-to-hate-robbie-savage/?

WhiteJC

Hughes to miss West Brom

Through the wonderful medium of Twitter, we learn that Fulham will have to do without Aaron Hughes for Saturday's trip to West Brom. His reaction to the news demonstrates his frustration.

Hughes' absence will probably see Philippe Senderos partner Brede Hangeland at the heart of the Fulham defence, although Zdenek Grygera will have done his chances of an earning a first-team spot no harm with an impressive display at centre back against Chelsea last night.

The Northern Ireland captain has been missing since he injured his groin in the 1-1 draw against Blackburn and will now hope to return in time for Fulham's second Europa League group fixture in Odense on September 29.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/hughes-to-miss-west-brom/?

WhiteJC

Firing Line: Two wins in a week but Kean is still hot for the chop

The Firing Line could only watch in stunned silence as its top four candidates for the chop last week all recorded emphatic wins.
Arguably the most impressive was Blackburn's 4-3 victory over Arsenal.

Under pressure boss Steve Kean showed clever tactical nous and motivational skills at half time to rally his side, who looked second best everywhere when they trudged off 2-1 down after 45 minutes.

Unfortunately he is still our favourite for the axe, with club owners even going as far as inviting handpicked fans to India to take in their views over the running of the club.

We haven't quite decided whether that is better or worse than receiving the dreaded 'vote of confidence' but the win over Arsenal has sure brought the Glaswegian some time.

Each week we bring you our latest chart of the managers under pressure, and those on Easy Street. Here's Sportsmail's sack-race rankings - otherwise known as the Firing Line.

No 10: Martin Jol - Fulham

Managed to achieve what no other side has so far this season and steal a point off Manchester City. The fact Fulham came from 2-0 down is even more impressive. Is Jol's tenure finally under way after a mediocre start at Craven Cottage? DOWN FOUR

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2040557/Firing-Line-Steve-Kean-remains-favourite-axe.html#ixzz1YkrGTlP1

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL: ANDY JOHNSON COULD GO

FULHAM boss Martin Jol has admitted he could sell Andrew Johnson in January if he fails to agree a new deal.

Johnson's contract expires next summer and, while Jol is keen to keep hold of the striker, he said: "We've talked to him and hopefully we can agree something. If not, we have to get on with it.

"If there was a club interested in him you could think about it [selling him]. If not, I'm happy for him to stay here until the end of the season.

"But for now we need to get an agreement. Last week I thought we were close, but we will talk with him again."

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/273125/Martin-Jol-Andy-Johnson-could-go-?

WhiteJC

Lawro's prediction

West Brom v Fulham
It's been a poor start for Roy Hodgson's West Brom, something none of us really expected. Defensively they are usually so disciplined.

With Fulham, the squad players did very well against Chelsea in the Carling Cup. I believe, despite their fans worrying, they'll be absolutely fine.

Prediction: 1-1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/15017088.stm

WhiteJC

New in this Week

New in this week
Some fantastic new items that have been added to the Fulham retail collection this week.

Available this week is the amazing retro Fulham 1960 no10 shirt with 10 on the reverse and the heritage badge on the front.

Brighten up your mornings by purchasing the new Fulham cereal bowl, featuring a black and white scarf design. There are a whole range of items in this selection such as the egg cup, scarf mug and salt and peppers pots! A great range to bring Fulham spirit to your kitchen!

Do you have your 2011/12 Away Shirt?
The 2011/12 Away Shirt is still a real favourite amongst all Fulham fans. The all black kit includes red Kappa omini logos to both shoulders and FFC detail to the back, what's more it is the exact same replica as worn by the First Team. So make sure you are wearing yours all season, purchase yours today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/Newinthisweek.aspx#ixzz1YktHMAlJ

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Chris Baird ready for Roy Hodgson reunion at West Brom

THERE will be no sentiment on the pitch tomorrow when Fulham take on West Brom - but Chris Baird admits he owes Albion boss Roy Hodgson a huge debt of gratitute.

The Whites defender's career was seemingly on the skids until former boss Hodgson took over at Craven Cottage in 2007 and after showing such faith in the Northern Ireland international, the player became one of his most consistent performers.

"I was in the team and played 52 games under him. He gave me my opportunity in the team and I'm thankful for that," Baird told the Chronicle.

"You can speak to him about anything - about football or off-the-pitch stuff. He's such a nice man.

"I think my career developed under him. In a way he transformed it by giving me the run of games that I needed and I was grateful to him for playing me in all these positions - right back, centre half and midfield. I was just happy to be part of his team and his plans."

Fulham travel to the Hawthorns still seeking a first win of the season and are in the bottom three along with Albion, who sit at the foot of the table.

But the bare statistics do not make either side poor, according to Baird, who is wary of any Hodgson team.

He is also upbeat following Fulham's hugely uplifting fightback against Man City on Sunday.

"I think he [Hodgson] will be hard to beat, that's one thing you can say for sure," Baird said.

"He worked wonders here, but we'll be going there to get the three points off him, that's the most important thing for Fulham.

"I think if we show the quality we did against Man City, we'll be more than happy. We need to climb that table quicker rather than later.

"It's not really been a big issue [looking for a first win]. Obviously, it's a little bit frustrating, but to come back from 2-0 down against that lot [Man City], with the quality they've got, it's a massive achievement.

"I know and the players know that if we stick together and play like that, then we'll be more than fine."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/23/fulham-defender-chris-baird-ready-for-roy-hodgson-reunion-at-west-brom-82029-29472624/?#ixzz1YkvVbVMx

WhiteJC

West Brom – Fulham Preview: Both sides look to find their way out of the relegation zone after disappointing starts to the season
After three points from five matches, the hosts will want their first win at The Hawthorns whilst Martin Jol's men will want to take home three points for the first time

PROBABLE LINEUPS
WEST BROM
Foster
Reid, Olsson, Dawson, Shorey
Morrison, Scharner, Mulumbu, Thomas
Long, Odemwingie

FULHAM
Schwarzer
Kelly, Hangeland, Baird, JA Riise
Dempsey, Murphy, Sidwell, Duff
Zamora, Dembele
Chris Brunt and Zoltan Gera are approaching full fitness and could both start for the hosts, but Gabriel Tamas will miss out as part of his ban for elbowing James Vaughan against Norwich.

Aaron Hughes is a doubt for Fulham after he had to be taken off during the first half of the game against Blackburn Rovers, while Bjorn Helge Riise may be unavailable due to the hamstring problem sustained after the game against RNK Split.

Dickson Etuhu missed the recent Europa League clash against Twente due to a thigh problem and is also a doubt for this fixture.

DID YOU KNOW?
In 33 matches at The Hawthorns between the sides, West Brom have 20 wins to Fulham's seven and 76 goals to Fulham's 37.
West Brom won 2-1 in this fixture last year.

Both sides are in the relegation zone after earning three points from five matches this season, with West Brom bottom and Fulham 18th.

In the last 12 meetings between the sides the away team has never left with three points, going way back to Fulham's win in the Midlands in 2000.

Fulham had 16 draws last season and already have three this year, all at Craven Cottage.

Fulham haven't led in a single league game this year.

Martin Jol hasn't won a match in the Premier League since a 4-0 win against Derby County as Tottenham Hotspur manager on 18th August 2007.

Damien Duff needs one more goal for his 50th in the Premier League.

Peter Odemwingie (pictured right) and Shane Long hit 38 league goals for their respective teams last year, which was only 11 less than the entire Fulham side managed in the same time.

West Brom have lost double the number of games in five matches this season (four) than they lost in their final 13 last year (two).

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/60222/west-bromwich-vs-fulham/preview

WhiteJC

Fulham Club Focus - Squad depth exciting for the Whites

Despite being on the end of a disappointing result against Chelsea in a game that was there to be won in normal time - Pajtim Kasami missing a penalty after Alex was sent off - the performance of Martin Jol's selected reserve and youth players was enough for Fulham to be able to forget the result.

Here was a group of players thrown into an away game at Stamford Bridge performing far above anything that could have been expected. The sprinkling of first-teamers and regular faces were joined by the likes of Kasami and Matthew Briggs, who have made a few prior appearances – as well as Orlando Sa, Marcel Gecov and Kerim Frei. All performed admirably, with a truly standout display coming from the 17-year-old Austrian, Frei.

Frei was signed in 2010, before the arrival of Jol, but the Dutch manager has clearly been impressed with his potential, and he saw enough to warrant a start for the youngster at Stamford Bridge. And he was arguably Fulham's player of the match. Starting on the left, Frei for long periods looked comfortable against, and even outplayed at times, an established international full-back in Paulo Ferreira. Frei was quick, skilful and full of confidence. Confidence and a calm head that defied his years, and his performance might have been capped with an assist had Kasami's penalty been a few inches lower.

The decision by Jol to pick such an inexperienced squad in what was, essentially, an important cup game against the local rivals was eyebrow-raising at first. However, despite the unfortunate defeat on penalties, his decision was vindicated and the overall feeling after the game was far more positive than it would have been had the regular first XI been defeated disappointingly or otherwise.

Gecov, in the middle in place of Danny Murphy, did nothing wrong. In fact, he showed awareness, quick touches and tackled well, proving he has the ability to make the step up to the pace of Premier League football. Gecov, older than the other debutants or youth players at 23, will have certainly done enough for Jol to feel comfortable picking the Czech when Murphy inevitably becomes tired during a potentially lengthy Europa League campaign, even if his game is more energetic than his captain's.

Again, however, the lack of goals was an issue, as it has been for the first team in the league. Too few shots and a little too much attempted trickery stifled the Whites from creating meaningful efforts on the Chelsea goal, but, encouragingly, even with several new faces, the team played as a unit.

It has been far from an ideal start for the Cottagers, currently with two Premier League points and no win from the four games played so far in the competition. The Chelsea League Cup fixture, however, will help the belief that the current league position of 19th is only temporary, with such quality players ready to show what they can do.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_9787_fulham-club-focus-squad-depth-exciting-for-the-whites.html?

Fernhurst

Sometimes I take for granted my early morning catch up of all things Fulham.

I'm sure others thoroughly enjoy the round-up provided daily by JC

Thanks JC much appreciated

WhiteJC

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 23, 2011, 08:57:11 AM
Sometimes I take for granted my early morning catch up of all things Fulham.

I'm sure others thoroughly enjoy the round-up provided daily by JC

Thanks JC much appreciated

your more than welcome  :54: