watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

smalling... man u bid accepted

Started by chez, January 26, 2010, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Very sad. Would like to have seen him do some growing at Fulham. Still, I trust Roy's judgement.

I wonder whether Arsenal will come in with a counter bid now?

Lighthouse

Predicted in the Picayune this morning. I blame the lure of shiny new FOF site. But Smalling will be TOLD about crash in new FOF so he can turn down the move. Fulham on the other hand just wants dosh to buy new sparkling forward.

The deal of Billions is always stretched over years and appearances and is dependant on Smalling learning Esperanto and playing the Cornet before his debut. Best to leave well alone. United only wanted one cause Arsenal wanted one.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

clintclintdeuce

Good bit of business I am afraid. Smallings future must be parlayed into our continued success, and Im sure that the money will be well spent.
The Dude abides.

TonyGilroy

I imagine it'll be an undisclosed fee no matter what the press report.

We'll not be letting him go cheap and I trust Roy and MAF to use the money sensibly.

We don't need better than Hangeland and Hughes and unless either suffers long term injury it's hard to see that Smalling had much of a prospect of regular first team football with us. And he is only a prospect - he could play for England for ten years or never quite cut it.

If it were my decision I'd take, say, £6M up front, with another £3M for 100 league games and £3M for an England cap.

And if I were Chris Smalling I wouldn't let the opportunity pass me by and the pragmatic response is to recognise that we can't hold on to him.

One surprising thing for me though is that despite our need for strikers and full backs there's no one on Arsenal or ManUs books that I'd want in part exchange.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Been waiting for Man U to bid for him I'm afraid,I do think this is the best option for the kid though,so we can't stand in his way,as long as the money is right ofcourse.
Also this stops anybody comming in for Brede,we won't let 2 central defenders go will we??

epsomraver

Real shame, he would have had a lot of playing time with us but now probably become another bench warmer

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 26, 2010, 11:29:06 AM
I imagine it'll be an undisclosed fee no matter what the press report.

We'll not be letting him go cheap and I trust Roy and MAF to use the money sensibly.

We don't need better than Hangeland and Hughes and unless either suffers long term injury it's hard to see that Smalling had much of a prospect of regular first team football with us. And he is only a prospect - he could play for England for ten years or never quite cut it.

If it were my decision I'd take, say, £6M up front, with another £3M for 100 league games and £3M for an England cap.

And if I were Chris Smalling I wouldn't let the opportunity pass me by and the pragmatic response is to recognise that we can't hold on to him.

One surprising thing for me though is that despite our need for strikers and full backs there's no one on Arsenal or ManUs books that I'd want in part exchange.
Yep I agree with this,it is sad that we have had to let a young player who has prospects of playing for England go but he would not get much of a run in the immediate future unless we had long term injuries to the 2 cb's (fingers crossed this will not happen)
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

BestOfBrede

For me, I would have kept him until an offer of 10m or more.
At present with Brede not playing his usual assured self, I would have rather played Smalling!

Logicalman

Quote from: epsomraver on January 26, 2010, 11:38:17 AM
Real shame, he would have had a lot of playing time with us but now probably become another bench warmer
Thats the rub though, he isn't getting enough at this stage in his career, just a stand-in for Brede or Hughes, not enough for such a promising player.

OldBrownShoe

If what has been reported is true I am not really surprised.  To be frank he would probably rather be a Manure reserve/sub than a Fulham one. Notwithstanding our injuries, especially this season, Roy doesn't really seem to be blooding the young players and/or giving them a run.  Chris Smalling probably evaluates his position that he probably has more chance of getting games for Manure (or for Arsenal) were he to go there than he does for us!  Good luck to him if he goes and hopefully some of the funds will be spent in the transfer market.  Remember we also have the up and coming Matthew Briggs (just started a loan spell at Leyton Orient).
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

epsomraver

Shame we cannot sell him and then have him back on loan for thje rest of the season, Brede is flagging.

RidgeRider

This just makes me sad really. Letting a possible great player go seems short sided. I would have rather kept Smalling and let Brede go.  :(

LBNo11

...I agree with epsomraver, Brede is nowhere near as consistant as he was last year. I am very sad that we will not see Smalling's rise to the peak of his profession in a Fulham shirt, and I would have preferred he went to Arsinvinegar's side than "I gets whaat I want" ferguson.

I am sure the money we get for him will be good, but I get the impression that Mr Hodgson will appreciate Dario Gradi even more over the next few transfer windows...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/?p=6211

Report: United's £8 million Smalling bid accepted

By Ed. Tue, Jan 26, 2010

Manchester United has made a successful bid for Fulham's 20-year-old central defender Chris Smalling, reports Sky Sports News. The unconfirmed £8 million bid comes as United head off interest in the player from Arsenal. It is a remarkable rise to the top for the player who joined Fulham in June 2008 from non-league Maidstone United.

Sir Alex Ferguson has moved for the Greenwhich-born defender following a reported bid by Arsenal this week. Smalling, who started Fulham's match against the dark side this season, has made just nine appearances in the Premier League. But the player's accelerated development is such that Stuart Pearce called the defender into his England under-21 set-up. Smalling made his  début against Portugal in November.

Should Smalling sign for Ferguson's side, the pacy left-sided central defender will offer cover in an area of the pitch that United has struggled to field fit players this season. Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown, John O'Shea and Jonny Evans have all been injured at various times this campaign.

United is likely to have laden the £8 million bid with performance-based incentives in the current financial climate. Any cash up-front will come from the club's new revolving £75 million credit facility

timmyg

Why would we accept this bid? We have absolutely NO cover in the center of defense.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

White Noise

Quote from: timmyg on January 26, 2010, 12:47:44 PM
Why would we accept this bid? We have absolutely NO cover in the center of defense.

Baird is good there and Matt Briggs is the new Smalling. I think Kallio can play there as well.

EdenRob

I think Chris would do better to stay with us until the end of season then think again. Manure might have problems in his position but would he start every game for them? At least with us he will get starts, in the Euro league certainly and possibly others. It's difficult enough for anyone to move mid-season and I think he will be better off waiting, afterall it's not as if the opportunity won't come again.

os5889

Im split on this, he's been great for us, but has only played in games where he'd be up for it. How would the boy be week in week out in times when he's in the spotlight and not up for a game? Titus Bramble is good when he's up for it.... I'm just saying....

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead