more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (26/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 26, 2011, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

No Euro absence fears for Cottage ace

Mark Schwarzer is confident that he will shake off a back problem in time for Fulham's Europa League trip to Odense on Thursday.
The veteran 38-year-old Australia international goalkeeper suffered the injury late on during Saturday's goalless draw at West Brom and appeared set to be substituted for his understudy Neil Etheridge.

However, Schwarzer opted to play on and see out the final minutes before undergoing treatment on his back following the Premier League clash.

And, with the Cottagers' back in action later this week in their second Europa League group game in Denmark, he expects to be ready for selection.

He told the Chronicle: "It was a back spasm but hopefully that'll be it. I've had some treatment.

"I landed on my arm with it behind my back, so it was a bit painful but hopefully it won't be anything major.

"I was thinking about coming off. Etheridge would've been disappointed he didn't get on - or maybe he needs a new pair of pants!"

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/no-euro-absence-fears-for-cottage-ace-1296509.html?#.ToBjC3PHo98

WhiteJC

Schwarzer revals back knock update

Mark Schwarzer is confident that he will shake off a back problem in time for Fulham's Europa League trip to Odense on Thursday.

The veteran 38-year-old Australia international goalkeeper suffered the injury late on during Saturday's goalless draw at West Brom and appeared set to be substituted for his understudy Neil Etheridge.

However, Schwarzer opted to play on and see out the final minutes before undergoing treatment on his back following the Premier League clash.

And, with the Cottagers' back in action later this week in their second Europa League group game in Denmark, he expects to be ready for selection.

He told the Chronicle: "It was a back spasm but hopefully that'll be it. I've had some treatment.

"I landed on my arm with it behind my back, so it was a bit painful but hopefully it won't be anything major.

"I was thinking about coming off. Etheridge would've been disappointed he didn't get on - or maybe he needs a new pair of pants!"

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/schwarzer-revals-back-knock-update-1296509.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol: Fulham in a 'false position' in the league

Fulham manager Martin Jol feels his team's lowly position in the Premier League table is not an honest reflection of their performances as their wait for a first win continued at the weekend.

The Cottagers had to settle for a goalless draw at West Brom on Saturday, a result that leaves them as the only top flight side without a win.

Jol's men sit one point above basement side Bolton, but the Dutchman feels they deserve more for their efforts so far this season.

"(The performance) was good," he said. "The only thing is you need to finish them off. We had three or four possibilities.

"We had the ball against bar and post, we had a few shots, we can probably do better in the future.

"I feel if you play the way we do, with four or five draws, it is a bit disappointing and I think we are in a false position."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23990961-martin-jol-fulham-in-a-false-position-in-the-league.do?

WhiteJC

West Brom striker Shane Long pleased with home draw against Fulham but felt his side deserved all three points
The Ireland international felt he should have had a penalty in the second half but believes the Baggies can take a lot of positives going into next week's clash against Sunderland

Shane Long feels West Bromwich Albion deserved a win against Fulham after being held to a goalless draw at home.

In a match of few chances, Peter Odemwingie was thwarted when through on goal by Mark Schwarzer and Chris Brunt hit the post late on, but the visitors dominated the proceedings for most of the 90 minutes and would have come away with a rare away win if Baggies goalkeeper Ben Foster had not turned substitute Bryan Ruiz's close-range shot onto the post.

The point was enough for the home side to move off the foot of the table, but they remain in the drop zone just above bottom-placed Bolton Wanderers.

Speaking after the match, Long said that he felt his side deserved victory for their second-half performance and added that he felt he should have had a penalty after a clash in the box.

"I think in the second half we definitely deserved it. They never really threatened, we had a good few chances to go one ahead," he said.

"First half was a bit of a wake up call for us and the fans got behind us in the second, pushed us on and we were unlucky not to get the three points.

"They're a good side, they're a top 10, top eight team, so a point at home isn't a bad result."

When asked whether he felt he deserved a penalty, the striker added: "Definitely, but the referee didn't see it. Hopefully the rub of the green will go my way."

Roy Hodgson tried a 4-3-3 formation for the match on Saturday which saw Long playing as a lone striker and last season's top scorer Odemwingie start on the right.

However, with Fulham dominating he reverted back to a 4-4-2 which made the hosts look much more threatening as a force.

Long agreed that the change in formation had played a part in West Brom's second-half revival and said he hopes to form a strong partnership with Odemwingie in the future.

"It didn't really work for us, we've got good players in midfield and Peter and Jerome [Thomas] out on the wings so we thought we'd get at them a bit more," he added.

"They ended up playing well and passing it around us and we couldn't really get into the game. But the gaffer's seen that and he's changed it up.

"Second half it was brilliant. There were balls played up to us and the midfield was pushed up right behind us and it was easy to pop it off to them and get into the box.

"If we play like that for the rest of the season will go a very long way."

On playing with Odemwingie, he said: "Me and Pete kind of got together in the second half, passing to each other and he got in one-on-one. He got a few chances, he's a lively forward.

"If I can set him up a bit more often it will be good for the team."

His team-mate, Gareth McAuley, who was named the sponsors' man of the match on his Premier League debut, echoed Long's views that West Brom would get themselves out of trouble in the near future.

When asked if they would soon climb the table, he told reporters: "Definitely. The players that are in there are fantastic, I see them every day in training.

"The thing about it is they have a great desire, togetherness, they've been together a few years.

"It's been a sticky start, we've not got the points on the board but the expectation is there after a great finish last year but we'll get that right on the training ground and hopefully that will come out on to the pitch and we can progress and move forward."

McAuley took advantage of Gabriel Tamas' suspension to replace Craig Dawson in central defence and stake his claim for a regular spot in the future.

But the former Ipswich man refused to get carried away with his performance as there is still a great deal of competition for his place in the team.

"[Making your debut] is what you work for, it's what all the sweat, all the hard work in the gym and stuff, when you get a chance to play in the best league in the world," he said.

"It's fantastic, hopefully I can go on now and try to establish myself in the team here and do well for West Brom.

"We've got four centre-backs and only three places in the team so it was disappointing for myself but Dawson's a great player as well, he's been fantastic through pre-season and deserved his chance.

"I thought he'd done well last week and you've got Gabby [Tamas] coming back in now, so it's pressure on for our places in our team at centre-back.

"We just have to wait and see [if I can keep his place]. That was my aim before the game, just to make sure I defended properly and tried to do everything right, put in a half-decent performance to put the other lads under pressure, especially knowing that Gabby's coming back into the fray for next week and hopefully do enough to push myself into the manager's thoughts."

McAuley also had strong words for former Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez, who said not long ago that current boss Nigel Worthington deserved to be sacked.

"Lawrie Sanchez was out of order. I've not seen it but I've heard what was said," he added.

"He walked away from us in the middle of a campaign and supporters might forgive him for that but I don't know about the players.

"Nigel's doing the best with the group of players he has. There's a lot of young players coming through now and we're trying to load them in.

"Obviously the older ones, we've got bring these young players through, some maybe aren't ready to play.

"It's a big ask and we've got to try and protect them as well as we can."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/09/26/2682215/west-brom-striker-shane-long-pleased-with-home-draw-against?

WhiteJC

Pompey to sign Riise on loan

Fulham's Bjorn Helge Riise will sign on loan for Pompey

Pompey will today sign Fulham's Bjorn Helge Riise.

And the Norwegian international is expected to go straight into Steve Cotterill's squad for tomorrow's visit of Peterborough.

The 28-year-old, who is the younger brother of John Arne, is joining the Blues on an emergency loan.

Riise can operate as a central midfielder or on the right-hand side and has so far amassed 31 caps for his country.

He joined Fulham in a £2m deal from Lillestrom in the summer of 2009 and has gone on to make 35 appearances.

Yet he has struggled to nail down a regular starting spot at Craven Cottage and last season joined Sheffield United on an emergency loan, playing 13 times.

During that spell he played on the right-hand side of midfield against the Blues at Fratton Park, a match Cotterill's men won 1-0.

Now he becomes Pompey's first loan signing of the season and will provide more midfield options for Cotterill.

http://www.bournelocal.co.uk/sport/football/pompey_to_sign_riise_on_loan_1_3090722

WhiteJC

Aaron's Announcement

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes has announced that he will retire from international football at the end of Northern Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

Hughes has earned 79 caps for his country since making his senior debut in 1998 but is calling time on his international career to focus on his domestic duties with Fulham.

"After thinking long and hard, I have decided to retire from international football after the final two Euro 2012 qualifiers, to concentrate on my club career and hopefully prolong it for another few years," said Hughes.

"I have always felt very proud and privileged to play for my country and it has also been a great honour to captain the side.

"It has not been an easy decision, however after speaking with players, managers and my family, I knew it was the right time to call it a day. I also knew in my own head it was the right time.

"I would like to thank everyone for their support over the years - managers, players, fans and my family. I have played under some great managers and have enjoyed every minute playing for Northern Ireland and hopefully we can get a good finish to the Euro 2012 campaign."

Northern Ireland have two remaining Euro 2012 qualifying matches left to play. On Friday 7th October Hughes could make his final home appearance as captain against Estonia before Northern Ireland take on Italy (away) on Tuesday 11th October.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/HughesIntAnnouncement.aspx?#ixzz1Z3fw9RxE

WhiteJC

Martin Jol says Fulham in a false position

Fulham manager Martin Jol feels his team's lowly position in the Barclays Premier League table is not an honest reflection of their performances as their wait for a first win continued at the weekend.

The Cottagers had to settle for a goalless draw at West Brom on Saturday, a result that leaves them as the only top flight side without a win.

Jol's men sit one point above basement side Bolton, but the Dutchman feels they deserve more for their efforts so far this season.

"(The performance) was good," he said. "The only thing is you need to finish them off. We had three or four possibilities.

"We had the ball against bar and post, we had a few shots, we can probably do better in the future.

"I feel if you play the way we do, with four or five draws, it is a bit disappointing and I think we are in a false position."

Bolton were beaten 3-0 by Arsenal to give the Gunners only their second win of the campaign.

Robin van Persie scored twice for the home side with Alex Song also finding the target, and manager Arsene Wenger feels his team learned the lessons from the defeat to Blackburn a week earlier.

"It was a good win for us because we cannot drop points anymore," Wenger said.

"We will not lose every game like we did at Blackburn. We had 22 shots on goal there and in the end we lost."

Manchester rivals United and City continue to fight it out at the top of the table.

United were held to a 1-1 draw at Stoke and are level on points with Roberto Mancini's City, who beat Everton 2-0.

Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson felt it was a good performance from his team at the Britannia Stadium.

"In terms of the attacking part, we showed some good play and maybe should have scored more than the goal we did," he said.

"A draw is probably a fair result. It is a difficult place to come to.

"I was pleased with the performance. They battled really hard and played like real champions in every sense of the word."

Mancini is hoping Mario Balotelli's goal against Everton will be the catalyst for a good campaign for the controversial striker.

Balotelli came off the bench to fire City in front, and Mancini said: "His behaviour has been so-so. But he is a good guy.

"Mario can make a big contribution this season. I am sure of this."

In Saturday's other matches, Fernando Torres scored and was then sent off as Chelsea beat Swansea 4-1, Liverpool edged out Wolves 2-1, Blackburn slumped to a 3-1 loss at Newcastle after Demba Ba's hat-trick while Tottenham climbed the table with a 2-1 victory at Wigan.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/martin-jol-says-fulham-in-a-false-position-2361164.html?

WhiteJC

Jewell: No Dreaded Call From Fulham

Boss Paul Jewell says Town have not received the dreaded call from Fulham requesting David Stockdale's return to Craven Cottage despite Mark Schwarzer suffering with a back spasm during Saturday's 0-0 draw at West Brom. The Blues keeper, on loan from the Cottagers for the season, is subject to a 24-hour recall.

Jewell said: "We were made aware that Mark had a bad back but, touch wood, we've not heard anything yet.

"We are at the mercy of that 24-hour recall, we understand that and it's always a constant thought on my mind."

The Town manager says the Blues are investigating alternatives should the call come but with no specific target yet in mind: "I wouldn't say we've anyone lined up but it's difficult to try and get a goalkeeper [in these circumstances]. However, I think it's really important that we're proactive in case that eventuality happens."

Schwarzer, who picked up the injury when he collided with team-mate Steve Sidwell, is confident he'll be fine to play in Thursday's Europa League match against Danish side Odense: "It was a back spasm but hopefully that'll be it. I've had some treatment.

"I landed on my arm with it behind my back, so it was a bit painful but hopefully it won't be anything major."

The Australian admits he was considering making way for sub Neil Etheridge on Saturday: "I was thinking about coming off. Etheridge would've been disappointed he didn't get on."

Closer to home, Blues boss Jewell expects Jason Scotland to be involved in training this morning, despite limping off in the closing stages at Boro on Saturday: "Jason got stamped on accidentally.

"I was going to make a different substitution but when I saw Jason get the knock it made sense to bring him off. He was in yesterday, a little bit stiff, but hopefully he'll be OK for this morning."

The Town manager also anticipates Ibrahima Sonko making a rare training ground appearance today: "Hopefully he'll train this morning. He deserves great credit Sonks. I wasn't joking when I said he's played more games than he's trained.

"Basically, we've wheeled him out there to play. The physio deserves a lot of credit and so does the lad himself.

"After the game on Monday I thought he had no chance of playing on Saturday because the injury was quite nasty. But the physio's worked well with him and through his desire and determination, he's got through the game.

"I think everyone can see he's tiring at the back end of games but his power and his presence is getting him through."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19254

WhiteJC

Fulham star set for Portsmouth loan switch

Fulham defender Bjorn Helge Riise is close to securing a loan move to Portsmouth.

John Arne Riise's brother joined Fulham in 2009 for £2m and has made 35 appearances for the club, but he has failed to command a regular place in the side and is now set to move to Fratton Park as Steve Cotterill is eager for more reinforcements.

Cotterill is impressed by Riise's versatility, with the 28-year-old able to play on the right or left of defence, as well as in midfield.

And Norwegian international Riise is expected to seal a switch to Pompey and take a place in their squad to face Peterborough on Tuesday.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1140/36/fulham-star-set-portsmouth-loan-switch?

WhiteJC

Riise Joins Blues

Pompey have signed Norway international Bjorn Helge Riise on loan from Fulham.

The 28-year-old midfielder has initially joined Pompey until the international break in November.

The Norwegian international is the brother of former Liverpool full-back John Arne Riise.

Blues boss Steve Cotterill said: "He's a central midfielder who can also play on the right side

"He's energetic, a good footballer and has played 31 times for his country. He played on loan for Sheffield United against us last season and did very well.

"We've got several midweek games and we may need to shuffle the pack so he will help us out."

Riise has made 35 appearances for Fulham and spent time on loan at Sheffield United last season.

John Arne Riise is also at Fulham and the pair faced each other in two Europa League matches when John was at Roma two seasons ago.

Riise has scored one goal for Norway, in a Euro 2008 qualifying victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina in 2007.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Riise-Joins-Blues-2601.aspx?

WhiteJC

Bjorn Helge Riise Loan

On Monday morning the Club confirmed that Bjorn Helge Riise will be heading to the South Coast on loan.

The Norwegian international has joined Portsmouth until the 7th November 2011.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/BHRiiseLoanDeal.aspx?#ixzz1Z3haifwE

WhiteJC

Bjorn Helge Riise joins Portsmouth on loan
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 26, 2011

Portsmouth have confirmed that Bjorn Helge Riise has joined them on loan until November.

The midfielder had seen his first-team opportunities limited at Fulham by competition for places and a groin injury. He had made just four appearances – all in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League – under Martin Jol this season.

Portsmouth manager Steve Cotterill is delighted with the deal:

He's a central midfielder who can also play on the right side. He's energetic, a good footballer and has played 31 times for his country.

He played on loan for Sheffield United against us last season and did very well. We've got several midweek games and we may need to shuffle the pack so he will help us out.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/bjorn-helge-riise-joins-portsmouth-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v QPR tickets

Barclays Premier League
Sunday 2nd October
Kick-Off 15:00

Fulham host QPR at the Cottage on Sunday 2nd October in what will be the first competitive match between the two teams since the 2000/01 season.

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders  On Sale (max 4 tickets)
Fulham Club Members On Sale (max 4 tickets)
Previous Purchasers On Sale (max 4 tickets)
Loyalty points: 1 (more info)

Fulham Members' Club Ticket Offer - £5 off for members

As a special 'thank you' to all of our loyal Fulham Members' Club members the Club is offering a £5 discount on match tickets for Fulham's match versus QPR.

This offer is valid in all areas of the stadium (subject to availability, 1 per member) and expires at 5pm Friday 30th September.

Members can purchase discounted tickets online, in person at the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1).

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices

Category A prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks P1 and P2 are Cottage Corner. Blocks A, AL, K and KL are designated Family Areas and are not available to book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/QPRHome.aspx#ixzz1Z3iKpyCr

WhiteJC

Jol: Fulham in a false league position

Fulham manager Martin Jol feels his team's lowly position in the Barclays Premier League table is not an honest reflection of their performances as their wait for a first win continued at the weekend.

Bolton were beaten 3-0 by Arsenal to give the Gunners only their second win of the campaign.

Robin van Persie scored twice for the home side with Alex Song also finding the target, and manager Arsene Wenger feels his team learned the lessons from the defeat to Blackburn a week earlier.

"It was a good win for us because we cannot drop points anymore," Wenger said.

"We will not lose every game like we did at Blackburn. We had 22 shots on goal there and in the end we lost."

Manchester rivals United and City continue to fight it out at the top of the table.

United were held to a 1-1 draw at Stoke and are level on points with Roberto Mancini's City, who beat Everton 2-0.

Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson felt it was a good performance from his team at the Britannia Stadium.

"In terms of the attacking part, we showed some good play and maybe should have scored more than the goal we did," he said.

"A draw is probably a fair result. It is a difficult place to come to.

"I was pleased with the performance. They battled really hard and played like real champions in every sense of the word."

Mancini is hoping Mario Balotelli's goal against Everton will be the catalyst for a good campaign for the controversial striker.

Balotelli came off the bench to fire City in front, and Mancini said: "His behaviour has been so-so. But he is a good guy.

"Mario can make a big contribution this season. I am sure of this."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Martin-Jol-thinks-they-deserve-a-higher-Premier-League-position-article804328.html#ixzz1Z3jk3Qpr

WhiteJC

Third Kit Revealed - Special Fans Version Honours The Maestro

The brand new Fulham Third kit has been worn by the Fulham First Team already this season but now supporters can have their first look at the special fans version of this brand new Fulham shirt which honours Fulham's greatest ever player, Johnny Haynes.  The shirt can be pre-ordered today or fans can pick one up at either Official Club retail store on Sunday 2nd October when the shirt launches prior to the home match against QPR.

The new Third shirt has the striking gold features, embroidered Ominis to both shoulders, FxPro branding and a small FFC logo to reverse of the collar. A great colour that is sure to make you stand out in the crowd. What makes this shirt extra special is the embroidery of the Johnny Haynes statue that is only available to the fans. Buy yours today.

10% Season Ticket Holder discount

Season Ticket Holders also get a 10% discount throughout the season, so remember to stock up on your Fulham FC goods,and pre-order the new Third shirt today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/ThirdKitRevealed.aspx#ixzz1Z3kAwEEY

WhiteJC

Pompey clinch Riise loan deal
Fulham midfielder makes short-term switch to Porsmouth

Riise: Made 14 appearances for Sheffield United last season

Portsmouth have completed the loan signing of Fulham's Norwegian midfielder Bjorn Helge Riise.

The 28-year-old will stay at Fratton Park until November's international break, in just under two months' time.

He will be available for seven Championship games and goes straight into the squad to face Peterborough on Tuesday evening.

Riise has not been able to break into the Cottagers first-team despite making four appearances in the club's early-season Europa League games against NSI Runavik and Crusaders.

Energetic

He was on loan at Sheffield United last season and made 14 appearances as the Blades were relegated to League One.

Pompey boss Steve Cotterill told the club's official website: "He's a central midfielder who can also play on the right side.

"He's energetic, a good footballer and has played 31 times for his country. He played on loan for Sheffield United against us last season and did very well.

"We've got several midweek games and we may need to shuffle the pack so he will help us out."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7204510,00.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol is Right to Fear Fulham are Overly Reliant on Bobby Zamora

It's easy to forget Fulham almost offloaded Bobby Zamora to Hull just two years ago - now they cannot seem to cope without the striker.

After scoring just twice in his first season at the club in 2008–09 season, the Cottagers accepted a £5 million bid from the Tigers only for Zamora to snub the move and fight for his place.

The rest is history, of course, with the forward having played in the Europa League final that season as well as going on to be capped by England.

He has started this season promisingly too, yet the same cannot be said of his team.

Although they have lost just two of their six league matches this season, Fulham are the only side in the Premier League yet to chalk up a victory, leaving them with just four points.

Of their four league goals this term, the England international has scored two of them.

And when you consider the Zamora has played in just three of their six matches, Fulham's problems soon become obvious.

Saturday's match at West Brom was one of the matches from which Zamora was absent - a stomach bug kept him sidelined - and surprise, surprise they drew a blank.

It was not that Jol named a particularly negative team - even though Damien Duff and Andrew Johnson were also out Clint Dempsey, Moussa Dembele, Orlando Sa and Pajtim Kasami all still made the starting XI.

The footballing gods might not have been with them after they twice hit the woodwork, yet their reliance on Zamora to shoulder the goalscoring burden was evident once again - much to the concern of Jol.

He said: "I liked our performance, but I think if you play the way we do we should score more goals. The only one who is doing that is Bobby, but if he is not there we need other players to stand up.

"There are more goals in this team. A start like this is always going to worry you."

Jol is right to be concerned.

He has brought in a number of players untried in the Premier League this summer and they are yet to prove they can cut it among England's elite.

Six games in it is still early days but, as Jol knows from his time at Tottenham, time and patience are in short supply among chairmen and supporters here. He needs results now.

Jol will see Fulham's next four league matches against QPR, Stoke, Everton and Wigan as a real opportunity to beef up their points tally.

One man he is certain to look to is £10.6 million deadline-day arrival Bryan Ruiz, who hit the post with his very first touch on Saturday.

The signing from FC Twente insists he is now ready to make his mark on English football - which will be music to Jol's ears.

He said: "I hope people will see me at my best very soon. I need to play. For sure I need to play. I feel good. I'm fit. I know I can play 90 minutes in the Premier League.

"I played for 120 minutes against Chelsea and that has helped me. If I play more matches, I will get more confidence from that. The manager has said to me he knows it will take some time for me to adapt. But I'm here to play."

Having talked the talk, Ruiz now must walk the walk, however as another new face in the Premier League it would be unfair to expect the Costa Rican to drag his new team mates upwards by the scruff of their necks.

No, that responsibility lies with their most experienced players - none more so than Zamora.

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/09/26/martin-jol-is-right-to-fear-fulham-are-overly-reliant-on-bobby-z/?

WhiteJC

No more brotherly love at Fulham as Riise joins Portsmouth on short-term loan

Portsmouth have signed Norway international Bjorn Helge Riise on loan from Fulham.

The 28-year-old midfielder has signed for the Championship club until the international break in November.

Riise has struggled to hold down a first-team place at Fulham and has made just three appearances this season.

Portsmouth boss Steve Cotterill said: 'He's a central midfielder who can also play on the right side.

'He's energetic, a good footballer and has played 31 times for his country. He played on loan for Sheffield United against us last season and did very well.

'We've got several midweek games and we may need to shuffle the pack so he will help us out.'

Riise's brother, John Arne, is also at Fulham having joined from Roma in the summer transfer window.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2041996/Fulham-Bjorn-Helge-Riise-joins-Portsmouth-loan.html#ixzz1Z47TBnR9