more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (29/09/11)

Started by WhiteJC, September 29, 2011, 07:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Europa Team News

After touching down in Denmark on Wednesday afternoon Martin Jol revealed that latest Team news ahead of Thursday night's match against Odense BK.

"Andy Johnson is fine but Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora stayed behind in London," revealed Jol. "As you know Bobby was ill last weekend and Mousa fell ill on Monday and we had to send him home.

"Bobby started training again on Tuesday but he's not 100% yet so it's better that he's ready for our next game against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.

"The Medical team thought it would be a very good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing over here.

"I would have brought Bobby and Mousa with me if they were fit but we've got enough players up front. Orlando Sa has a little problem but he will train tonight and hopefully he'll be 100%. Even if he's not I've still got Clint Dempsey and Andrew Johnson so I don't see a problem."

Jol is hoping his team can claim all three points in Denmark on Thursday night in their second UEFA Europa League group game, but Fulham's Manager is certainly not underestimating the task at hand against Odense BK.

"Danish teams are always good footballing teams but we've got a good team and we've got a good record in Europa, home and away," explained Jol.

"We've had a lot of draws so far this season and as you know, when Bobby has played, he's scored goals. Andrew Johnson is fit again now so I'm confident we've got goals and enough quality in the Team. We need a result on Thursday night."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/EuropaPreview.aspx#ixzz1ZK0rYtMo

WhiteJC

Jol demands Cottagers focus

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits the Cottagers must begin turning draws into victories, starting with Thursday's Europa League tie with Odense.

The west Londoners are the only Premier League side without a win this season and languish 17th in the table.

Fulham's winless streak stretches back eight matches in all competitions, with the last victory recorded against Dnipro on August 18.

Jol admits the run is frustrating and is hoping for a change of fortune in Thursday's Group K fixture at Odense.

"I think we will turn a corner somewhere," he said. "A draw is not a defeat.

"If we had four or five defeats it would have been a disaster.

"We weren't good enough in the final third of the pitch [against West Brom] but we still had seven or eight chances so that gives us a little bit of spirit coming back.

"It's a very thin line. Aston Villa have had five draws and one win and they've got a good position in the league.

"We should have beaten them at home, and even Blackburn.

"We had all draws, five on the trot I think, but we should have won even three of them."

Odense started the season in the Champions League, where they defeated Panathinaikos over two legs before losing to Villarreal in the play-offs - despite winning the home leg 1-0.

The Danish outfit also secured a 3-1 victory at Wisla Krakow in their Europa League group opener, but come into the match on the back of three successive defeats.

"They've got a few good players," Jol said.

"The only good thing, probably, is they lost three games, which is not typical for them, so maybe we can take advantage.

"They are a good team. All these Danish teams are good footballing sides.

"It is the same as in Holland, they try and play in a similar way.

"But, of course, we have a very good team and we have done well away from home in Europe.

"I think we need a result so it will be quite interesting.

"Wisla is a good team. I know them because the coach there is a Dutch guy, and they beat them 3-1 away from home.

"That was a very strange result, so that means they've got a lot of quality.

"That is why we need results - not only draws but three points. Hopefully we can beat them.

"If we can have another draw that's okay, but then you have to beat them at home.

"You need seven or eight points to get to the next stage."

Fulham boast a strong squad for Thursday's match but travelled to Denmark without Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora.

"Mousa Dembele has stayed in London," Jol added.

"Zamora did too as they both need some extra conditioning sessions because they weren't fit. They had a bug.

"Zamora was ill before the last game with West Bromwich.

"He was back in training yesterday but was not 100% so we left him with the staff with to make him ready for the next game."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7209260/Jol-We-must-draws-into-wins?

WhiteJC

Odense BK    v    Fulham
Europa League
Venue: TRE-FOR Park
Date: Thursday 29 September Kick-off: 1800 BST
Coverage: BBC Sport website and BBC Radio 5 live

Fulham manager Martin Jol will be without Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele for the trip to Odense.

Zamora and Dembele have been left in London due to sickness and Orlando Sa is a doubt.

Striker Andy Johnson returns after missing the goalless draw with West Brom due to illness and Jol has hinted that the former Birmingham man could partner Clint Dempsey in attack.

Midfielder Simon Davies (knee) remains a long-term absentee.

The Cottagers have not won in eight games, managing just five goals in that period, and drew their opening Group K fixture with FC Twente 1-1.

Jol maintains he has enough firepower to find a way past Odense despite Zamora's absence.

But he acknowledges his team need a positive result after failing to make the most of their first game at Craven Cottage.

He told the club's website: "Danish teams are always good footballing teams but we've got a good team and we've got a good record in the Europa League, home and away.

"We've had a lot of draws so far this season and as you know, when Bobby has played, he's scored goals.

"Andy Johnson is fit again now so I'm confident we've got goals and enough quality in the team. We need a result on Thursday night."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15014650.stm?

WhiteJC

Odense ready for Fulham clash
Odense coach Henrik Clausen does not believe Fulham's indifferent Premier League form will hamper them in Thursday's Europa League tie.

The Cottagers have endured a frustrating start to the season and have yet to secure a top flight victory since Martin Jol's appointment in the summer.

While the west Londoners are on an eight-game winless streak in all competitions, Clausen expects a tough match in Denmark on Thursday evening.

"You can always ask whether they lack confidence or not," he said.

"Looking at the latest results from Fulham they have not won but they have not lost for like a month.

"I think that is something that normally gains stability and makes a good platform for making confidence so I am not sure they are without confidence.

"I think we are more focused on ourselves.

"We may lack a little bit of confidence, especially after recent performances, but we have to go again and this is another game for us.

"We can play without being the favourite and that could be a bonus for us."

Odense boast a host of Premier League experience in their squad, including former Wigan midfielder Andreas Johansson, ex-Everton goalkeeper Stefan Wessels and Bernard Mendy, who had spells with Bolton and Hull.

The Danish side could also field former Manchester United and Aston Villa midfielder Eric Djemba-Djemba at the Odense Stadion.

The Cameroon international has become a figure of fun in England but Clausen warns he has the class to hurt Fulham.

"I think, looking back over the three and a half years he has been here, he has been one of the best players for Odense," he said.

"He has had his ups and downs, some injuries and maybe some periods with not so good performances, but overall when the time comes and you look back he is one of the best players in the Superliga."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/7209268/Odense-ready-for-Fulham-clash?

WhiteJC

FULHAM DUO TO SIT OUT

Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele have been left out of the Fulham squad for Thursday's Europa League tie against Odense BK in Denmark.

The pair have both been laid low with illness in recent days and have remained in London to build-up fitness ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with QPR.

Aaron Hughes has also been left out the squad due to a knee complaint, while long-term absentee Simon Davies is also out.

Fulham teams: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Baird, Kelly, Grygera, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise, Briggs, Gecov, Kasami, Sidwell, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey, Sa, Johnson, Frei.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/28/manual_195914.html

WhiteJC

Zamora and Dembele stay at home
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 28, 2011

Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele have been left in London to recover from their illnesses as Fulham prepare to take on Odense in Denmark tomorrow night.

The two forwards are expected to be fit to face QPR on Sunday, leaving Martin Jol will a decision to make as to who will partner the fit again Andy Johnson up front. Orlando Sa is his preferred choice, although the Portuguese striker will have to shake off a knock to play – with Clint Dempsey another option. Defender Aaron Hughes has also remained in London as he aims to recover from a knee problem in time to return to action for the local derby at the weekend.

Andy Johnson is fine but Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora stayed behind in London. As you know Bobby was ill last weekend and Mousa fell ill on Monday and we had to send him home.

Bobby started training again on Tuesday but he's not 100% yet so it's better that he's ready for our next game against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday. The Medical team thought it would be a very good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing over here.

I would have brought Bobby and Mousa with me if they were fit but we've got enough players up front. Orlando Sa has a little problem but he will train tonight and hopefully he'll be 100%. Even if he's not I've still got Clint Dempsey and Andrew Johnson so I don't see a problem.

Jol wants his side to claim their first Europa League stage win tomorrow night, but knows it won't be easy.

Danish teams are always good footballing teams but we've got a good team and we've got a good record in Europa, home and away. We've had a lot of draws so far this season and as you know, when Bobby has played, he's scored goals. Andrew Johnson is fit again now so I'm confident we've got goals and enough quality in the Team. We need a result on Thursday night.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/zamora-and-dembele-stay-at-home/?

WhiteJC

Odense BK v Fulham preview

Team news ahead of Thursday evening's Europa League Group K clash between Odense and Fulham at Fionia Park (kick-off 6pm).

Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele have been left out of the Fulham squad for the trip to Denmark.

The pair have both been laid low with illness in recent days and have remained in London to build-up fitness ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash with QPR.

Aaron Hughes has also been left out the squad due to a knee complaint, while long-term absentee Simon Davies is also out.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Etheridge, Baird, Kelly, Grygera, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise, Briggs, Gecov, Kasami, Sidwell, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey, Sa, Johnson, Frei.

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/7209313/Odense-BK-v-Fulham-preview?

WhiteJC

Jol targets Euro success
Fulham boss hoping for a change of fortune in the Europa League

Martin Jol has challenged Fulham to kick-start their season with a win against Odense BK in the Europa League.

Fulham own the unwelcome tag of being the only team in Premier League without a win this season and they currently lie in 17th place.

Jol has found their form underwhelming and has orchestrated over an eight-game winless streak in all competitions that stretches back to August 18th.

But in Thursday's Group K fixture, Jol is expecting his team to have a change in fortune.

"I think we will turn a corner somewhere," he said.

Spirit

"A draw is not a defeat. If we had four or five defeats it would have been a disaster.

"We weren't good enough in the final third of the pitch [against West Brom] but we still had seven or eight chances so that gives us a little bit of spirit coming back.

"It's a very thin line. Aston Villa had five draws and one win and they've got a good position in the league.

"We had all draws, five on the trot I think, but we should have we should have won even three of them."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7209337,00.html?

WhiteJC

Preview: Odense v Fulham (Thurs)

Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele have been left out of the Fulham squad for Thursday's Europa League tie against Odense BK in Denmark.

The pair have remained in London after suffering illness during the week, but both hope to feature in Sunday's Premier League clash with QPR.

Aaron Hughes has also been left out the squad with a knee injury, while Simon Davies is a long-term absentee.

Fulham manager Martin Jol wants the Cottagers to kill off games, feeling that too many potential victories have ended in draws.

Fulham's winless streak stretches back eight matches in all competitions, with the last victory recorded against Dnipro on August 18.

"I think we will turn a corner somewhere," he said. "A draw is not a defeat.

"If we had four or five defeats it would have been a disaster.

"We weren't good enough in the final third of the pitch (against West Brom) but we still had seven or eight chances so that gives us a little bit of spirit coming back.

"It's a very thin line. Aston Villa have had five draws and one win and they've got a good position in the league.

"We had all draws, five on the trot I think, but we should have won even three of them."
-
Fulham: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Baird, Kelly, Grygera, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise, Briggs, Gecov, Kasami, Sidwell, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey, Sa, Johnson, Frei.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/09/28/Preview-Odense-v-Fulham-Thurs/gnid-110898/?

WhiteJC

Europa League Betting: Cottagers to struggle away from home

Fulham travel to Odense this Thursday night but a lack of away goals makes them impossible to back. Jaymes Monte reports.

OB Odense v Fulham, KO 18:00 BST, ITV 4, Match Odds: OB Odense 3.0, Fulham 2.62, The Draw 3.45

We are still only in September yet this will be Fulham's 17th competitive game of the season. It may be a little early to use tiredness as an excuse - although I do fear for them in the second half of the domestic season - but the games are coming thick and fast for the Cottagers.

Odense finished last season as runners-up in the Danish Superligaen but have started this campaign indifferently. They've lost their last two home games and are currently mid-table with 14 points from 10 games. Henrik Clausen's team did, however, kick off their Europa League campaign with a 1-0 win over Wislaw Krakow and currently top the embryonic Europa League Group K table.

Simon Davies is a long-term absentee for Fulham while the availability of Damien Duff is unclear after "personal reasons" were cited as the explanation for the Irishman being unavailable at the weekend. Bobby Zamora also missed the 0-0 draw at West Brom, due to illness, but is expected to be available.

With an important game coming up against QPR on Sunday, however, whether Martin Jol decides to name his star striker in the starting XI remains to be seen.

Fulham are winless and have scored only four goals in the Premier League this season leaving them above the relegation zone by virtue of goal difference only. At odds of 3.0 Odense simply must be backed to pick up all three points here.

The goals betting markets are a much trickier prospect to contemplate. While 11 of Odense's last 12 matches have finished with three goals or more Fulham simply struggle to score on their travels. In eight games on the road this season Jol's men have scored just four goals, three of which came back in mid-July against Northern Irish outfit Crusaders.

Torn between Unders and Overs, the 2.2 price tag on the Overs makes that the selection we simply have to back in this market. Although its not one that I'd advise hitting with a big bet. Also back an Odense clean sheet at odds of 3.8 as a safety net.

Recommended Bets
Back Odense to win @ 3.0
Back Over 2.5 goals @ 2.2

http://betting.betfair.com/football/uefa-cup/europa-league-betting-cottagers-dont-score-away-from-home-280911.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham need to start turning draws into victories, says Martin Jol
• Fulham manager aims for victory at Odense
• Mousa Dembélé and Bobby Zamora stay in London

Martin Jol hopes Fulham can enjoy a victory for a change in the
Europa League match at Odense.
Photograph: Peter Cziborra/Action Images

Martin Jol has said that Fulham must begin turning draws into victories, starting with their Europa League tie at Odense BK on Thursday.

Fulham are the only Premier League side without a win this season and lie 17th in the table. Their winless run stretches eight matches in all competitions; their last victory came against Dnipro on 18 August. Jol said the run was frustrating and that he was hoping for a change of fortune in their Group K fixture.

"I think we will turn a corner somewhere," the Fulham manager said. "A draw is not a defeat. If we had four or five defeats it would have been a disaster. We weren't good enough in the final third of the pitch [against West Brom] but we still had seven or eight chances so that gives us a little bit of spirit coming back. It's a very thin line. Aston Villa have had five draws and one win and they've got a good position in the league. We should have beaten them at home, and even Blackburn. We had all draws, five on the trot I think, but we should have won even three of them."

Odense started the season in the Champions League, where they beat Panathinaikos over two legs before losing to Villarreal in the play-offs despite winning the home leg 1-0. The Danish team also won 3-1 at Wisla Krakow in their Europa League group opener but come into the match against Fulham after three successive defeats.

"They've got a few good players," Jol said. "The only good thing, probably, is they lost three games, which is not typical for them, so maybe we can take advantage. They are a good team. All these Danish teams are good footballing sides. It is the same as in Holland, they try and play in a similar way. But of course we have a very good team and we have done well away from home in Europe.

"I think we need a result so it will be quite interesting. Wisla is a good team. I know them because the coach there is a Dutch guy, and they beat them 3-1 away from home. That was a very strange result, so that means they've got a lot of quality. That is why we need results – not only draws but three points. You need seven or eight points to get to the next stage."

Fulham have a strong squad for the match but they travelled to Denmark without Mousa Dembélé and Bobby Zamora.

"Mousa Dembélé has stayed in London," Jol said. "Zamora did too as they both need some extra conditioning sessions because they weren't fit. They had a bug. Zamora was ill before the last game with West Bromwich. He was not 100% so we left him with the staff to make him ready for the next game."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/28/fulham-martin-jol-odense-europa?

WhiteJC

Hangeland: Players have a duty to play - even when injured

Brede Hangeland admitted he tries to play even when injured to meet his commitments as a professional footballer.

The Fulham defender believes players should always take to the field when asked by their manager.

Hangeland, 30, said: 'As a general rule I think any player should respect his contract and if the manager asks you to play you should play.

'I try and play even when I shouldn't play because I'm injured. That's the way I feel about it.'

Committed: Hangeland says he will always play when asked to

Fulham travelled to Denmark on Wednesday for Thursday's Europa League clash against BK Odense without Bobby Zamora, Mousa Dembele and Aaron Hughes.

Zamora, Fulham's joint top goal-scorer, has stayed in London for extra conditioning work after missing Saturday's stalemate at West Brom through illness.

Fulham boss Martin Jol said: 'He started training on Tuesday and I thought it was better to leave him.

'I don't know (if he wanted to come). I told him to stay in London and excluded him from the team.

Back home: Bobby Zamora has not travelled to Denmark

'It is not the first time (we have played without him), especially in away games. He dropped out the night before and even on the morning before the games.

'Luckily enough he did not have the same problems in home games but you can't manage that.

'Orlando Sa had his opportunities and couldn't take them and Andy Johnson is fit now so we are confident that we have enough goals in the team and enough quality.'

FULHAM (probable):
(4-4-1-1) Schwarzer, Baird, Senderos, Hangeland, J.A. Riise; Duff, Sidwell, Murphy, Briggs; Dempsey; Johnson.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2043043/Brede-Hangeland-believes-players-duty-play.html#ixzz1ZK4REzJB

WhiteJC

ODENSE V FULHAM: MARTIN JOL'S BACKING ANDY TO END GOAL DROUGHT

BOBBY ZAMORA and Moussa Dembele won't be missed by Fulham in their clash against Odense tonight.

That's the verdict of boss Martin Jol, who is also without cup-tied Bryan Ruiz, as he tries to get his shot-shy side firing once again.

The Cottagers have drawn their last two games 0-0 and with striker Zamora and attacking midfielder Dembele struck down by a virus it's up to Andy Johnson to get some goals in Denmark.

But Jol said: "With Andy Johnson fit now, we're confident that we have enough goals in the team and enough quality. "I have still got Clint Dempsey too, so I don't see a problem. Bobby was ill before the West Brom game and while he was able to do some conditioning work yesterday, I thought it was better to leave him.

"I don't know if he wanted to come but the medical staff thought it was a very good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing here because he did not feel 100 per cent."

FULHAM: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Riise, Sidwell, Murphy, Kasami, Frei, Duff, Johnson. Referee: Maksim Layushkin (Russia).

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/213369/Odense-v-Fulham-Martin-Jol-s-backing-Andy-to-end-goal-drought/?

WhiteJC

Striker set for Fulham comeback

Odense v Fulham

ANDY Johnson has handed boss Martin Jol a fitness boost for tonight's trip to Denmark.

The Fulham frontman missed Saturday's stalemate with West Brom through illness, but is back in the fold for the Group K clash.

However, Bobby Zamora is still feeling under the weather, while Moussa Dembele has also been left at home.

Striker Orlando Sa is a doubt, so Johnson could partner Clint Dempsey in attack.

Simon Davies is the only long-term absentee.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/29/striker-set-for-fulham-comeback-82029-29506218/?#ixzz1ZK5Rcs00

WhiteJC

Hangeland expetcs stern test

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland believes Odense will prove a stern test on his return to Denmark.

The 30-year-old joined the Cottagers in 2008 from Copenhagen, with whom he plied his trade for two years.

Hangeland twice won the Superliga title during his time in Denmark, fending off resistance from Odense on both occasions.

The defender expects a similarly tough contest this evening and is looking forward to pitting his wits with Odense once more.

"When I was here they were the second best team in this league and I was lucky to be part of the best team in this league," Hangeland said.

"We had a few hard games against them. I expect the same tomorrow.

"It's a hard place to come to and they have great support. It should be a good game.

"Some of the fans will have seen me - it's only three and a half years since I played in this league.

"I have taken part in a few games on this pitch so hopefully they will give me a good reception tomorrow if they remember me."

Hangeland has impressed throughout his time in west London despite regular links with a move to pastures new.

The Norway international has never seemingly been affected by off-field issues and admits he was surprised by the issues between Manchester City and Carlos Tevez this week.

"We've all taken notice but I think it's very hard to comment on that when you don't know the details," he added.

"As a general rule I think any player should respect his contract and if the manager asks you to play you should play.

"I try and play even when I shouldn't play because I'm injured.

"That's the way I feel about it."

Hangeland will likely start at centre-half tonight and will be attempting to shackle an Odense side including Anders Moller Christensen.

The vice-captain suffered concussion at the weekend but is hoping to face the west London outfit.

"I trained today and it felt quite good but we will have to see tomorrow," he told Press Association Sport.

"It is a big game, it is a European game and also against Fulham so I am very excited.

"I don't think tiredness will effect them. No, not at all.

"We have had a good start and we are looking forward to playing a Premier League team in Fulham"

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/uefa-europa-league/news/1074721/Hangeland-expetcs-stern-test

WhiteJC

Riise display pleases Cotterill

It was a heart-breaking Pompey introduction for Bjorn Helge Riise.

Steve Cotterill, however, remained encouraged by the Norwegian international's Blues debut.

The Fulham man only arrived on an emergency loan on Monday.

The following day he was thrown a Fratton Park start in the clash with Peterborough.

Operating on the right-hand side of midfield, Riise produced a busy and hard-working display.

It was his first start since lining up for Norway against Portugal in a European Championship qualifier this summer.

Regardless, there were certainly reasons for Pompey fans to feel optimistic over his presence.

The 28-year-old was substituted in the 85th minute in favour of Kanu as Cotterill looked to grab a victory.

In the end, international compatriot Erik Huseklepp settled matters in stoppage time when he put the ball through his own net to seal a 3-2 defeat.

Now Riise is in the frame to retain his place for Saturday's trip to Leeds, after Cotterill paid tribute to his Fratton Park display.

He said: 'I thought Bjorn worked very hard, to be fair to him.

'It took him a little while to settle in but I think he got through an enormous amount of work.

'It was tough for him, he hasn't done enough training with the lads just yet.

'Just at the end we just felt maybe that, with the freshness of Kanu, he may find a pass.

'A couple of times he nearly did it for us to get maybe a winner.

'But I thought Bjorn worked his socks off, as they all did.

'He was part of a good team performance.'

Riise has made 35 appearances for Fulham since arriving from Lillestrom in the summer of 2009.

Yet just five of those have been Premier League starts.

He moved on an emergency loan deal to Sheffield United at the tail end of last season.

It was a 13-match spell during which he largely impressed Bramall Lane supporters.

The 31-capped international will now spend the next 93 days at Fratton Park under terms of his emergency loan.

He is currently the only player Pompey have taken on loan so far this season.

http://www.bournelocal.co.uk/sport/football/riise_display_pleases_cotterill_1_3098517

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Hangeland: Fulham can expect a tough test against Odense

Norway defender knows how tough the Danish side can be at home

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has warned his team mates not to take Odense lightly in their Europa League clash tonight.

The former FC Copenhagen defender regularly tussled with this evening's opponents and is aware of the dangers they can cause.

"When I was here they were the second best team in this league and I was lucky to be part of the best team in this league," Hangeland said.

"We had a few hard games against them. I expect the same tomorrow.

"It's a hard place to come to and they have great support. It should be a good game."

The Whites will be hoping to pick up their first victory in Group K after drawing their opening game 1-1 with FC Twente at Craven Cottage.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/hangeland_fulham_can_expect_a_tough_test_against_odense_1_1074343?

WhiteJC

Zamora fitness bugs Jol
Striker out of Denmark trip due to illness

Zamora: To miss Odense match as he is not 100 per cent fit following illness

Bobby Zamora has been ruled out of Fulham's Europa League match against Odense BK due to illness and will instead be put through extra training sessions.

A flu bug has swept through the camp this week to leave Zamorashort of full fitness ahead of Fulham's trip to Denmark on Thursday.

A decision was therefore taken not to include Zamora in the travelling party and the striker will now concentrate on getting ready for Saturday's Premier League game at home to Queens Park Rangers.
Jol has also stated that it is fortunate Zamora seems to be available for fixtures at Craven Cottage more often than he is for away games.

"He was in training yesterday but was not 100 per cent so we left him to make him ready for the next game," Jol said in The Sun.

Dropped out

"The medical staff thought it was a good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing here.

"It's not the first time, especially in away games, he's dropped out the night before and even on the morning before the games.

"Luckily enough he did not have the same problems in home games but you can't manage that.

"I would have taken Moussa Dembele and Bobby with me if fit but we have enough up front."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7210097,00.html?

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland expects stern Odense test

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland believes Odense will prove a stern test on his return to Denmark.

The 30-year-old joined the Cottagers in 2008 from Copenhagen, with whom he plied his trade for two years.

Hangeland twice won the Superliga title during his time in Denmark, fending off resistance from Odense on both occasions.

The defender expects a similarly tough contest this evening and is looking forward to pitting his wits with Odense once more.

"We had a few hard games against them. I expect the same [tonight].

"It's a hard place to come to and they have great support. It should be a good game.

"Some of the fans will have seen me - it's only three and a half years since I played in this league.

"I have taken part in a few games on this pitch so hopefully they will give me a good reception if they remember me."

Hangeland has impressed throughout his time in west London despite regular links with a move to pastures new.

The Norway international has never seemingly been affected by off-field issues and admits he was surprised by the issues between Manchester City and Carlos Tevez this week.

"We've all taken notice but I think it's very hard to comment on that when you don't know the details," he added.

"As a general rule I think any player should respect his contract and if the manager asks you to play you should play.

"I try and play even when I shouldn't play because I'm injured.

"That's the way I feel about it."

Hangeland will likely start at centre-half tonight and will be attempting to shackle an Odense side including Anders Moller Christensen.

The vice-captain suffered concussion at the weekend but is hoping to face the west London outfit.

"I trained today and it felt quite good but we will have to see tomorrow," he told Press Association Sport.

"It is a big game, it is a European game and also against Fulham so I am very excited.

"I don't think tiredness will effect them. No, not at all.

"We have had a good start and we are looking forward to playing a Premier League team in Fulham."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23992326-brede-hangeland-expects-stern-odense-test.do?