more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (29/09/11)

Started by WhiteJC, September 29, 2011, 07:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

AJ Ready For Odense

After touching down in Denmark on Wednesday afternoon Martin Jol revealed that latest Team news ahead of Thursday night's match against Odense BK.

"Andy Johnson is fine but Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora stayed behind in London," revealed Jol. "As you know Bobby was ill last weekend and Mousa fell ill on Monday and we had to send him home.

"Bobby started training again on Tuesday but he's not 100% yet so it's better that he's ready for our next game against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.

"The Medical team thought it would be a very good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing over here.

"I would have brought Bobby and Mousa with me if they were fit but we've got enough players up front. Orlando Sa has a little problem but he will train tonight and hopefully he'll be 100%. Even if he's not I've still got Clint Dempsey and Andrew Johnson so I don't see a problem."

Jol is hoping his team can claim all three points in Denmark on Thursday night in their second UEFA Europa League group game, but Fulham's Manager is certainly not underestimating the task at hand against Odense BK.

"Danish teams are always good footballing teams but we've got a good team and we've got a good record in Europa, home and away," explained Jol.

"We've had a lot of draws so far this season and as you know, when Bobby has played, he's scored goals. Andrew Johnson is fit again now so I'm confident we've got goals and enough quality in the Team. We need a result on Thursday night."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/EuropaPreview.aspx?#ixzz1ZKaKPsiY

WhiteJC

Hangeland expecting stern test on Denmark reunion as Fulham travel to Odenese

Up for the battle: Brede Hangeland

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland believes Odense will prove a stern test on his return to Denmark.

The 30-year-old joined the Cottagers in 2008 from Copenhagen, with whom he plied his trade for two years.

Hangeland twice won the Superliga title during his time in Denmark, fending off resistance from Odense on both occasions.

The defender expects a similarly tough contest on Thursday evening and is looking forward to pitting his wits with Odense once more.

'When I was here they were the second best team in this league and I was lucky to be part of the best team in this league,' Hangeland said.

'We had a few hard games against them. I expect the same tomorrow.

'It's a hard place to come to and they have great support. It should be a good game.

The long and short of it: Hangeland has impressed during his time with Fulham

'Some of the fans will have seen me - it's only three and a half years since I played in this league.

'I have taken part in a few games on this pitch so hopefully they will give me a good reception tomorrow if they remember me.'

Hangeland has impressed throughout his time in west London despite regular links with a move to pastures new.

The Norway international has never seemingly been affected by off-field issues and admits he was surprised by the issues between Manchester City and Carlos Tevez this week.

'We've all taken notice but I think it's very hard to comment on that when you don't know the details,' he added.

'As a general rule I think any player should respect his contract and if the manager asks you to play you should play.

'I try and play even when I shouldn't play because I'm injured.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2043157/EUROPA-LEAGUE-Brede-Hangeland-expecting-stern-Odenese-test.html#ixzz1ZKkZ1AK7

WhiteJC

Hangeland knows Odense threat
Fulham defender expecting a tough test against former rivals

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland is using his knowledge of Danish football to help his team-mates in the Europa League.

Hangeland played for FC Copenhagen - the current champions of Denmark's domestic league - for two-and-a-half years between 2006 and 2008.

The Cottagers take on Odense BK in Group K aiming to win their first game of the group stages.

Martin Jol's outfit earned a 1-1 draw with FC Twente in their opener while Odense comfortably beat Wisla Krakow 3-1.

During his time in the Superliga, Hangeland won the competition twice, but often faced tough opposition from Odense.

Second best

The defender said: "When I was here they were the second best team in this league and I was lucky to be part of the best team in this league.

"We had a few hard games against them. I expect the same tomorrow.

"It's a hard place to come to and they have great support. It should be a good game.

"Some of the fans will have seen me - it's only three-and-a-half years since I played in this league.

"I have taken part in a few games on this pitch so hopefully they will give me a good reception if they remember me."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7210214,00.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol confirms Bobby Zamora will miss Fulham's Europa League tie at Odense
Striker will not play any part in Denmark as he is aiming to be fully fit for the weekend's Premier League game against QPR, while Moussa Dembele is also unavailable

Fulham will be without Bobby Zamora for their Europa League game with Odense in Denmark on Thursday night.

Jol also confirmed he will be without Belgian attacker Moussa Dembele for the trip to Denmark.

He told The Sun: "He was in training yesterday but was not 100 per cent so we left him to make him ready for the next game.
"The medical staff thought it was a good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing here.

"It's not the first time, especially [for an] away game, he's dropped out the night before and even on the morning before the games.

"Luckily enough he did not have the same problems in home games but you can't manage that.

"I would have taken Moussa Dembele and Bobby with me if fit but we have enough up front."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2915/europa-league/2011/09/29/2688229/martin-jol-confirms-bobby-zamora-will-miss-fulhams-europa-league-?

WhiteJC

Tonight's Challenge

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland recalled his previous meetings with Odense BK ahead of tonight's UEFA Europa League match in Denmark and highlighted the tough challenge his team will face this evening.

"It's only three and a half years ago that I played in the Danish league. I've taken part in a few games on their [Odense BK] pitch.

"When I was playing in Denmark they were the second best team in the league and I was fortunate to be a part of the best team [FC Copenhagen] in the league.

"I remember them as a good solid unit that was well organised and hard to beat. They were physically strong and very hard to beat at home.

"We had a few very good but hard games against Odense and I expect the same on Thursday night.

"It's a difficult place to come and they're a good team with great support. We're in for a tough game."

The Fulham v Odense BK scarf is part of the Official UEFA Europa League range and now available to buy online.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/HangelandOdensePreview.aspx?#ixzz1ZKlSdWuW

WhiteJC

SWP has no regrets over failed Fulham move

SHAUN Wright-Phillips goes to Fulham on Sunday without a pang of regret he missed out joining the Whites in January.

The QPR winger was on the Craven Cottage hit list in the winter transfer window. But the £80k-a-week wage share demanded by then club Manchester City was the rock on which the deal foundered.

The England international's ex-manager Mark Hughes was desperate to reunite with Wright-Phillips. Now the player wants to put one over the struggling neighbours down the Fulham Palace Road in the first of the season's west London derbies.

"I didn't think about it (going to Fulham)," he said. "When I got the chance to come to QPR - I took it and that's what I wanted to do.

"The rest is all so much history and nothing more to worry about."

By his own admission, Wright-Phillips admits his time in the City wilderness has blunted his match fitness but he is planning to short cut his way to full throttle.

He added: "My physical fitness is fine, but people say it takes five to six games to get match fit. I'm hoping I get there quicker than that now that I've got to half that total.

"I played against Fulham twice when I was at Chelsea. The first time I did fine, the second not so well. When was it? I've tried to forget about it. Going into Sunday's match, I'd rather look forward than back to a bad game."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/london-qpr/2011/09/29/swp-has-no-regrets-over-failed-fulham-move-82029-29507821/?#ixzz1ZKlfAxYX

WhiteJC

Odense v Fulham preview
Jol's men hoping to kickstart campaign with victory in Denmark

Fulham will be looking for their first win in Group K of the UEFA Europa League when they make the trip to Denmark to face Odense BK on Thursday night.

Martin Jol's men drew 1-1 with FC Twente in their group opener at Craven Cottage a fortnight ago and are without a win in their last eight games in all competitions, scoring just five goals in that period.

However, the West Londoners are unbeaten in five, having played out a goalless draw with West Brom in the Premier League last weekend.

Odense opened their European campaign with victory over Wisla Krakow two weeks ago to take an early lead in Group K, but will be leapfrogged by the Cottagers if they secure a maximum haul at TRE-FOR Park.

The two sides are meeting for the first time in Europe and Odense could prove tough opposition having lost just one of their last 15 home games in continental competition.

However, the Danish team have never beaten English opponents and will be looking to address that on their eighth attempt when they host the Cottagers.

Fulham boss Jol is without Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele for the trip to Denmark.

The pair have both been laid low with illness in recent days and have remained in London to build up fitness ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash with QPR.

Aaron Hughes has also been left out the squad due to a knee complaint, while long-term absentee Simon Davies is also out.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3447285,00.html?

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland predicts stern test for Fulham

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland believes Odense will prove a stern test on his return to Denmark.

The 30-year-old joined the Cottagers in 2008 from Copenhagen, with whom he plied his trade for two years.

Hangeland twice won the Superliga title during his time in Denmark, fending off resistance from Odense on both occasions.

The defender expects a similarly tough contest this evening and is looking forward to pitting his wits with Odense once more.

"When I was here they were the second best team in this league and I was lucky to be part of the best team in this league," Hangeland said.

"We had a few hard games against them. I expect the same tomorrow.

"It's a hard place to come to and they have great support. It should be a good game.

"Some of the fans will have seen me - it's only three and a half years since I played in this league.

"I have taken part in a few games on this pitch so hopefully they will give me a good reception tomorrow if they remember me."

Hangeland has impressed throughout his time in west London despite regular links with a move to pastures new.

The Norway international has never seemingly been affected by off-field issues and admits he was surprised by the issues between Manchester City and Carlos Tevez this week.

"We've all taken notice but I think it's very hard to comment on that when you don't know the details," he added.

"As a general rule I think any player should respect his contract and if the manager asks you to play you should play.

"I try and play even when I shouldn't play because I'm injured.

"That's the way I feel about it."

Hangeland will likely start at centre-half tonight and will be attempting to shackle an Odense side including Anders Moller Christensen.

The vice-captain suffered concussion at the weekend but is hoping to face the west London outfit.

"I trained today and it felt quite good but we will have to see tomorrow," he told Press Association Sport.

"It is a big game, it is a European game and also against Fulham so I am very excited.

"I don't think tiredness will effect them. No, not at all.

"We have had a good start and we are looking forward to playing a Premier League team in Fulham"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/brede-hangeland-predicts-stern-test-for-fulham-2362876.html?

WhiteJC

Pompey new-boy backed to resurrect career

Bjorn Helge Riise has been backed to resurrect his career and become a Fratton Park hit.

That is the verdict of Jan Aage Fjortoft, who believes Pompey represents the perfect stage for the 28-year-old Norwegian to get his football back on track.

Riise has started just five Premier League matches since joining Fulham in a £2m move in the summer of 2009.

He hasn't featured for the Craven Cottage club in any competition since the season began.

That lack of action has subsequently cost him his place in Norway's squad.

The midfielder, who has been capped 31 times by his country, has been omitted from their October 11 Euro Championship clash with Cyprus in Oslo.

It is the first time Riise has been axed from the international set-up since breaking through in 2007. Now he has the chance for regular first-team football at Pompey.

Joining on an emergency loan, he made his debut in Tuesday night's unfortunate defeat to Peterborough.

Compatriot Fjortoft signed him for Lillestrom while serving as their sporting director back in 2005.

And the former Swindon, Middlesbrough and Barnsley striker is convinced Riise will flourish on the south coast.

He said: 'I know Riise. I've worked with him in the past.

'I took him to Lillestrom from FC Brussels – he was my second signing – and he did very well.

'He has not played regularly for a long time and this is a timely move for him.

'He needs this and I am sure he will do well for Portsmouth.

'He is a player who needs to be on top of his game 24/7.

'When that happens and he is fully concentrated, he was always one of the best in training.

'He was very enthusiastic and full of running.

'He's a clever boy. He knows what his qualities are and plays on them, which is basically winning the ball and delivering it to people.

'Riise will work very hard for the team.

'He has good lungs on him but he will also take people on, he will pass the ball and he is brave.

'He probably needs confidence at the minute having not played for a while.

'But when he has that belief in himself he can be a very good player.

'He is an honest guy, who works very, very hard.

'And I think he'll do good things at Portsmouth.'

Riise's sole international goal came against Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2007.

His only goal in English football came against Saturday's opponents Leeds while on loan with Sheffield United last season.

And Fjortoft believes that is part of his game which should be more successful.

He added: 'If I have one criticism of Riise, he does not score enough goals, which he should do.

'He should be much more effective in that area.

'If I had a shot like that, I would be speaking fluent Italian as well as German and English!'

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/pompey_new_boy_backed_to_resurrect_career_1_3098827

WhiteJC

Odense v Fulham betting tips
The Cottagers should kickstart their Group K campaign by picking up a priceless away win in Denmark.

Fulham return to Europa League action this week with an away match against OB Odense of Denmark.

With the Cottagers' shaky away form and Odense on a run of three straight domestic defeat, this promises to be a nerve-wracking encounter.

Fulham have injury worries to deal with as strikers Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele are both sidelined with illness and Bryan Ruiz is ineligible.

However, the Cottagers still have plenty of firepower and creativity in their line-up to breach Odense's defence and are 3/2 favourites for the win.

Football betting fans may remember Odense securing a memorable 1-0 victory against Villarreal at home in their Champions League qualifier already this season and the Danish side also recorded an away win against Wisla Krakow to take an early lead in Group K.

With that in mind, it would be foolhardy to completely write the home side off. They are 9/5 to win on Thursday, while a draw comes in at 11/5.

Nevertheless, Fulham are beginning to click under manager Martin Jol and are overdue a win after drawing against West Brom at the weekend and narrowly losing to Chelsea in the Carling Cup.

The Cottagers, who were held by Twente in their opener, should get up and running tonight and there are attractive odds on a narrow 2-1 victory for Fulham at 17/2.

Punters who join bwin.com can take advantage of their free £25 bet by backing this outcome and will win an impressive £237.50 if the scoreline comes in.

New customers can register here to claim a free £25 bet or click here to see all Europa League odds.

http://bwinbetting.com/odense-fulham-betting-tips,7308.html?

WhiteJC

QPR winger gears up for Fulham clash

SHAUN Wright-Phillips goes to Fulham on Sunday without a pang of regret he missed out joining the Whites in January.

The QPR winger was on the Craven Cottage hit list in the winter transfer window. But the £80k-a-week wage share demanded by then club Manchester City was the rock on which the deal foundered.

The England international's ex-manager Mark Hughes was desperate to reunite with Wright-Phillips. Now the player wants to put one over the struggling neighbours down the Fulham Palace Road in the first of the season's west London derbies.

"I didn't think about it (going to Fulham)," he said. "When I got the chance to come to QPR - I took it and that's what I wanted to do.

"The rest is all so much history and nothing more to worry about."

By his own admission, Wright-Phillips admits his time in the City wilderness has blunted his match fitness but he is planning to short cut his way to full throttle.

He added: "My physical fitness is fine, but people say it takes five to six games to get match fit. I'm hoping I get there quicker than that now that I've got to half that total.

"I played against Fulham twice when I was at Chelsea. The first time I did fine, the second not so well. When was it? I've tried to forget about it. Going into Sunday's match, I'd rather look forward than back to a bad game."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/qpr-ealing/2011/09/29/qpr-winger-gears-up-for-fulham-clash-64767-29507911/?

WhiteJC

QPR can keep improving with a win over travel sick Fulham
The Cottagers have a poor record in games following Europa League matches

West London rivals Queens Park Rangers and Fulham meet each other for the first time in over ten years this Sunday – and the Cottagers may end up wishing it was another decade before they meet again.

Martin Jol's men have yet to win in the Premier League this season, drawing four and losing two of their opening six games.

Jol is not starting to panic just yet though, he said: "I think we will turn a corner somewhere – a draw is not a defeat.

"If we had four or five defeats it would have been a disaster."

The Cottagers head into this home game as 1/1 favourites but, with a Europa League game against OB between now and then, they may find it hard to pick up all three points.

Fulham have won just two of their previous ten post-Europa League games in the Premier League – and they were against the lowly West Ham United and Wigan Athletic.

Of the other eight games they have drawn three and lost five.

With Neil Warnock's men now three games without defeat – including a comprehensive 3-0 victory away to Wolverhampton Wanderers – they are sure to be a tricky opponent and may be worth backing at 3-1 to get a victory.

However, QPR have also drawn two of their previous three and a punt on yet another draw for Fulham at 23/10 could also prove to be a lucrative bet.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/qpr-can-keep-improving-with-a-win-over-travel-sick-fulham_078127.html

WhiteJC

Odds On Clint

BETBUTLER, Fulham's official online and in-stadium betting partner, are now offering odds of 6/4 for Fulham to win tonight's UEFA Europa League match against Odense BK in Denmark.

Odds of 9/1 are currently being offered on Fulham winning 2-0 whilst a draw between the two teams is available at 12/5.

In terms of goals, Clint Dempsey comes in at 13/2 to net the first goal of the game this evening and if supporters are confident more than four goals will be scored, odds of 7/1 are available through Bet Butler.

Martin Jol's team are rated 33/1 to go one better than two years ago and win the UEFA Europa League in 2012 whilst Odense BK are a huge 300/1 outsiders.

Sign up to Betbutler today and follow Fulham's official online and in-stadium betting partner on Twitter @thebetbutler for Fulham giveaways and offers throughout the 2011/12 season.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/BetButlerEuropaPreview.aspx?#ixzz1ZL7XW4kc

WhiteJC

Opta Stats: Fulham v QPR

Does Fulham's dreadful London derby record give QPR the edge in Sunday's west London derby? Have a look what the Opta stats say...

Fulham have lost just one of their last 12 Premier League games at Craven Cottage (W6 D5 L1), though they have drawn the last four in a row.

QPR have failed to score in their last four games against Fulham.

Since the start of last season, Fulham have drawn more games than any other side in the Premier League (20).

Fulham have won none of their last nine Premier League London derbies (D3 L6).

This will be the first ever league meeting between west London neighbours Fulham and QPR in the
top flight.

In seasons 2002-03 and 2003-04, Fulham played their home games at QPR's stadium Loftus Road while Craven Cottage was being redeveloped. Fulham won 53% of games at Loftus Road compared to 45% they have won at Craven Cottage in Premier League history.

Fulham have won none of their last seven Premier League matches, though five of them have been draws including the last three in a row.

QPR have used 21 different starters in the Premier League, the joint-most in the Premier League along with Arsenal.

Fulham have only won 19% of their Premier League London derbies, the lowest proportion by any of the capital clubs.

QPR have won none of their last seven top flight London derbies away from home (D2 L5).

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-fulham-v-qpr-290911.html?

WhiteJC

Duo will miss out

Fulham will be without Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele for Thursday's Europa League clash against Odense.

The Cottagers pair did not travel to Denmark with the rest of the squad, with both players struggling with illness, while striker Orlando Sa is also a doubt.

Martin Jol has been boosted by the news though that Andy Johnson is available for selection, having sat out Saturday's 0-0 draw with West Brom, also due to sickness.

The manager has indicated that Johnson will partner Clint Dempsey up front, as Fulham look to end an eight-game run without a win, which included a 1-1 home draw with FC Twente in their opening group game.

Jol stated: "Andy Johnson is fit again now so I'm confident we've got goals and enough quality in the team. We need a result on Thursday night."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/duo-will-miss-out-1298884.html?

WhiteJC

Star will be back for derby

Martin Jol says he expects Bobby Zamora to be fit to play in Sunday's clash with QPR, having returned to training.
Zamora was forced to sit out the 0-0 draw with West Brom last week through illness and was left at home, whilst the Fulham squad flew out to Denmark for their Europa League tie on Thursday.

But Jol should have the England international available for the derby with Rangers, having taken the advice of the Fulham medical staff.

The manager revealed: "Bobby started training again on Tuesday but he's not 100% yet so it's better that he's ready for our next game against Queens Park Rangers.

"The medical team thought it would be a very good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing over here."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/star-will-be-back-for-derby-1298916.html?#.ToRsVnPHo98

WhiteJC

Is Bobby Zamora skiving?

Martin Jol sounds refreshingly honest here:

"It's not the first time, especially in away games, he's dropped out the night before and even on the morning before the games.

"Luckily enough he did not have the same problems in home games but you can't manage that.

He's right: Fulham have played six league games this season, three at home, three away.  Zamora's played in all the home games, none of the aways.  Odd.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/is-bobby-zamora-skiving/?

WhiteJC

Striker nearing comeback

Martin Jol says he expects Bobby Zamora to be fit to play in Sunday's clash with QPR, having returned to training.

Zamora was forced to sit out the 0-0 draw with West Brom last week through illness and was left at home, whilst the Fulham squad flew out to Denmark for their Europa League tie on Thursday.

But Jol should have the England international available for the derby with Rangers, having taken the advice of the Fulham medical staff.

The manager revealed: "Bobby started training again on Tuesday but he's not 100% yet so it's better that he's ready for our next game against Queens Park Rangers.

"The medical team thought it would be a very good idea to load him with some extra sessions instead of playing over here."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/striker-nearing-comeback-1298916.html?

WhiteJC

OB ODENSE v FULHAM
COTTAGERS TO STRUGGLE AWAY FROM HOME

Fulham travel to Odense this Thursday night but a lack of away goals makes them impossible to back. Jaymes Monte reports.

We are still only in September yet this will be Fulham's 17th competitive game of the season. It may be a little early to use tiredness as an excuse - although I do fear for them in the second half of the domestic season - but the games are coming thick and fast for the Cottagers.

Odense finished last season as runners-up in the Danish Superligaen but have started this campaign indifferently. They've lost their last two home games and are currently mid-table with 14 points from 10 games. Henrik Clausen's team did, however, kick off their Europa League campaign with a 1-0 win over Wislaw Krakow and currently top the embryonic Europa League Group K table.

Simon Davies is a long-term absentee for Fulham while the availability of Damien Duff is unclear after "personal reasons" were cited as the explanation for the Irishman being unavailable at the weekend. Bobby Zamora also missed the 0-0 draw at West Brom, due to illness, but is expected to be available.

With an important game coming up against QPR on Sunday, however, whether Martin Jol decides to name his star striker in the starting XI remains to be seen.

Fulham are winless and have scored only four goals in the Premier League this season leaving them above the relegation zone by virtue of goal difference only. At odds of 3.0 Odense simply must be backed to pick up all three points here.

The goals betting markets are a much trickier prospect to contemplate. While 11 of Odense's last 12 matches have finished with three goals or more Fulham simply struggle to score on their travels. In eight games on the road this season Jol's men have scored just four goals, three of which came back in mid-July against Northern Irish outfit Crusaders.

Torn between Unders and Overs, the 2.2 price tag on the Overs makes that the selection we simply have to back in this market. Although its not one that I'd advise hitting with a big bet. Also back an Odense clean sheet at odds of 3.8 as a safety net.

OB Odense v Fulham, KO 18:00 BST, ITV 4, Match Odds: OB Odense 3.0, Fulham 2.62, The Draw 3.45

Recommended Bets:

Back Odense to win @ 3.0
Back Over 2.5 goals @ 2.2

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11121251.php?