more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (03/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 03, 2011, 07:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

He Wants to Stay!

In recent days much has been said about the future of Andrew Johnson.

Some sources had reported that Johnson had turned down a new two year deal and that he`d be off as soon as his contract runs out or quicker if a buyer can be found.

Well AJ doesn`t see it that way and has issued comments to that effect and implying that he wants to stay at Craven Cottage, remarking,

"Of course I want to stay. I think all you`ve got to do is look at my performance against Odense."

"I`ve been in talks with the club for a while, but it has been a busy period."

"We`ve just come out of the transfer window, and we`ve had new players settling in, so it is something that is ongoing - but hopefully it will be resolved."

Great to hear it AJ!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257621#ixzz1ZhXPPYNK

WhiteJC

Local Hero

Andrew Johnson spoke of his delight for his Team and the Club's fans after firing Fulham to a 6-0 win over Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon.

Johnson placed his name in the Club's history books on Sunday after scoring Fulham's first ever Barclays Premier League hat-trick and the striker was evidently delighted to have played such a major role in Fulham's win.

"Everyone is delighted with the result and for the fans because it was a local derby," explained Johnson.

"I had that bit of luck today and everything we hit went in. It's unfortunate for QPR that they caught us on one of those days.

"We felt this result was coming and Steve Sidwell said during our pre-match meal that it would happen today.

"I was delighted to see the first one hit the back of the net. It was nice to score so early because it takes the pressure off, especially at home.

"As a striker sometimes they're the hardest ones because you really have to concentrate on making good contact with the ball.

"We've got great players in the team and in the last five or six games we've created so many chances but we've been unlucky in front of goal.

"It was nice to be playing with Bobby [Zamora] again and he's a top player. We've got some great players at the Club who can all play in attack so we've got different combinations we can play and the competition keeps you on your toes.

"I'm sure with all the games we've got coming up we've got a squad that can be rotated and that's what modern football is all about."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/AJReaction.aspx?#ixzz1ZhXl6mL5

WhiteJC

AJ leads Rangers rout
by DAN on OCTOBER 2, 2011

Andy Johnson has had his fair share of knockers since joining Fulham from Everton. For an eight-figure sum signing, many fans have mocked his goal tally. Plenty have suggested that his famed pace has long since departed. Many consider him past his best. Martin Jol's reluctance to offer him much game time early in the season sparked rumours of an imminent departure. But Johnson stayed – and with goals hard to come by in recent weeks – has proved his worth. His movement, speed and finishing absolutely demolished QPR this afternoon and rewarded Fulham's pretty approach play with an avalanche of goals.

Jol has had to wait a while for his first league win and this was the perfect way to scotch rumours of unrest in the camp. For a Neil Warnock side, QPR were strangely tame: they started slowly, and bar a couple of half-chances at 1-0, carried little threat to Mark Schwarzer's goal. Fulham, buoyed by the best possible start – a Johnson tap-in in the second minute – had ended the contest with a third goal seven minutes before the break, but such was their superiority the advantage could have stretched well beyond the six the home side settled for.

Johnson, who is out of contract, in the summer might have holding out for better terms than Fulham have offered in the proposed two year deal put to the 30 year-old and this display can only have strengthened his negotiating position. He offered the finest possible riposte to Jol's pointed suggestion that he hadn't scored enough league goals in midweek- and Fulham looked far more potent with a partner for Bobby Zamora. The centre forwards rekindled the kind of form that carried the Cottagers to seventh in the 2008/09 season and the tone for a glorious afternoon by the Thames was set just a minute in.

Moussa Dembele, deployed out on the wing rather than through the middle at the expense of Damien Duff, sauntered in from the right to shoot and Johnson fired home the rebound after Paddy Kenny could only parry the ball in front of him. With only 78 seconds played, it was a dream start for Fulham, who were desperate for a win to lift them out of the relegation zone. Jol's contention that his side were occupying a false position was given greater conviction by what followed.

QPR were abject and almost comical in defence. An almighty mix-up between Anton Ferdinand and Kenny led to the second. The centre back panicked with Johnson on his shoulder and as the Fulham forward edged in front of him, Kenny brought him crashing to earth with a crude challenge. The goalkeeper was fortunate to escape a caution, but Danny Murphy made Rangers pay with a clinical finish from the penalty spot. It was just the advantage the Whites deserved for a frenetic start. Fitz Hall's sliced clearance from a low Clint Dempsey cross almost ended up in his own net, while the Texan saw a goalbound effort blocked by Bradley Orr and Johnson volleyed a Zamora flick inches wide from eleven yards.

The third arrived courtesy of some more slack Rangers marking as Fulham made the most of oceans of space down their left flank. Zamora, enjoying far too much freedom for a local derby, found Dempsey in the penalty area and, although his shot was blocked by Anton Ferdinand, Johnson arrived to sweep home the third from Zamora's low cross. Warnock opted for damage limitation at the break, hauling off the ineffectual Adel Taraabt – who reportedly stormed out of Craven Cottage in disgust at his substitution – and replacing Shaun Derry with DJ Campbell, but not even a livelier start to the second period could disrupt Fulham's momentum.

The home side were playing with a verve and swagger hitherto unseen this season. Kenny produced a fine save to turn a Zamora curler aside, but that was merely a temporary stay of execution. Danny Murphy's clever quick free-kick released the rampant Johnson, who tucked a cool finish past Kenny to complete Fulham's first Premier League hat-trick. Then came the best goal of the half dozen. Johnson, looking like a man revitalised, cantered down the left to cross for Zamora, who unselfishly squared for Dempsey, who gleefully completed a fine team goal.

Zamora grabbed a deserved goal himself with sixteen minutes remaining. The despondent Rangers defence stood off him as the England striker cut in from the right and found the bottom left corner with a fierce angled drive. Rangers, who had earlier threatened through Shaun Wright-Phillips and Alejandro Faurlin, looked utterly shell shocked. Their nightmare afternoon was summed up by the return of Jamie Mackie, making his first appearance since his double leg break at Blackburn last January as a late substitute. He slipped when free at the back post, shooting horribly wide. There was almost a first Fulham goal for Bryan Ruiz, which would have capped an impressive cameo from the bench, but the Costa Rican's low shot whizzed across the face of goal and wide.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Grygera, J.A. Riise, Baird, Hangeland; Sidwell, Murphy (Etuhu 83), Dempsey, Dembele (Sa 87); Zamora, Johnson (Ruiz 75). Subs (not used): Etheridge, Kelly, Senderos, Duff.

BOOKED: Sidwell, Hangeland.

GOALS: A. Johnson (2, 38, 59), Murphy (pen 20), Dempsey (65), Zamora (74).

QUEEN'S PARK RANGERS (4-4-1-1): Kenny; Orr, Young, A. Ferdinand, Hall; Derry, Faurlin (Smith 45), Wright-Phillips, Barton; Taraabt (Campbell 45); Bothroyd (Mackie 72). Subs (not used): Murphy, Perone, Buzsaky, Helguson.

BOOKED: Hall, Wright-Phillips, Faurlin.

REFEREE: Andre Marriner (West Midlands).

ATTENDANCE: 23,776.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/aj-leads-rangers-rout/?

WhiteJC

AJ happy with hat-trick
Fulham striker delighted with first Premier League win

Andrew Johnson was delighted after becoming the first Fulham player to score a Premier League hat-trick in a 6-0 romp against West London rivals QPR.

The 30-year-old broke the deadlock after just 79 seconds, before adding a further two goals either side of the break.

Danny Murphy's penalty along with efforts from Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora complemented Johnson's treble as the Cottagers secured their first league win of the season.

But the striker was pleased with his achievement and is now focused on scoring more goals for the Cottagers.

Achievement

He told Sky Sports: "It's a great achievement for myself and the club and I'm just delighted we got three points today. We hadn't had a win and we were going into a two-week break in the bottom three so it's given us a bit of breathing space.

"I think we've jumped up to twelfth now, so we can enjoy the next two weeks and focus on the next game coming."

Asked what made Fulham tick against their neighbours, he said: "I think it was just one of those days. We played well the last five or six games but things haven't been dropping for us and things haven't been going our way in front of goal, but today everything flew in. It's a shame for QPR but we're delighted. We hit some good form in front of goal and long may it continue."

Johnson's personal form has been superb hitting two goals in the Europa League at Odense and five in two games as well as nine in total this season.

And he added: "Yeah, it has been a good start to the season. I've had a rough time with injuries the last couple of seasons, so I'm pleased to be injury free and pleased to be playing week in and week out and I'm training hard and working hard. All I can keep doing is keep scoring.

"There is great competition on the bench. What you want as a player is to work hard in training because it keeps you on your toes and we've got healthy competition."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7218706,00.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol hails hat-trick hero Andrew Johnson

Fulham boss Martin Jol says Andrew Johnson "made the difference" as his hat-trick helps the rampant Cottagers dish out a 6-0 drubbing to QPR at Craven Cottage.

The Dutchman is delighted to register Fulham's first Premier League win of the season and was pleased with the number of chances his side created.

Jol also plays down talk of a row with striker Bobby Zamora, blaming the reports on "moaning and agents."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15145302.stm?

WhiteJC

Andrew Johnson praises team-mates after treble

Fulham striker Andrew Johnson hails the whole team's performance as his hat-trick helps secure a 6-0 thrashing of QPR.

Johnson adds that the Hoops' display was not that bad, it was just that Fulham played so well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15145305.stm?

WhiteJC

Dempsey shines in Fulham's first Premiership win of season

Clint Dempsey had a goal and an assist on Sunday as Fulham finally won an English Premier League game, destroying visiting Queens Park Rangers, 6-0, at Craven Cottage.

Fulham took out the frustration from its six-game winless streak on its newly-promoted West London rival, scoring in the second minute and jumping out to a 3-0 lead by halftime. The third goal, scored by English forward Andy Johnson, came from a play that began when Dempsey's shot was blocked in front of the QPR goal.

The U.S. national team midfielder did more damage in the second half. In the 65th minute, Dempsey gave Fulham a 5-0 lead, finishing a cross from Johnson with a neat shot from 12 yards out. It was the Texan's fourth goal this season in all competitions and second in the EPL. Dempsey, who took five shots on Sunday, then set up Bobby Zamora's 74th-minute strike. The six goals equaled the club record for a single EPL game.

Now 1-2-4 in league play, Fulham is scheduled to visit Stoke City (2-2-3) on Oct. 15. The EPL will take a break next weekend as players head off on international duty. Dempsey will be with the U.S. as it faces Honduras on Oct. 8 and Ecuador on Oct. 11.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-10-02/dempsey-shines-in-fulhams-first-premiership-win-of-season?#ixzz1ZhZOIyc8

WhiteJC

QPR manager Neil Warnock: Losing 6-0 to Fulham was 'one of my worst days in football'
The Rangers boss could only watch on as his side were dismantled at Craven Cottage after a 'nightmare 48 hours' where they lost players to injury

Neil Warnock has admitted that his QPR side's 6-0 defeat to Fulham in their Premier League encounter at Craven Cottage was one of his worst days in football.

Martin Jol's side took the three points courtesy of an Andrew Johnson hat-trick, as well as goals from captain Danny Murphy, Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey.

"I think I've had a couple of these before," Warnock told reporters. "They're not easy anyhow, it's one of the worst. But if ever there was a day to catch us it was today.

"Good players take advantage of the situation, and the last 48 hours we've had a nightmare really what with [Danny] Gabbidon's injury recurrence, and we've lost [Matthew] Connolly yesterday through an innocuous challenge with Shaun Wright-Phillips in training.

"Then we had Fitz Hall, who had an injury in the warm-up today," he continued. "Then we've got [Armand] Traore who's sitting in the stands today but it shows that we can't cater with the squad we've got."

"I'm learning though," Warnock added. "We've got to look after ourselves until January at least because things can happen like this. You can lose four players in the space of a few hours, and we can't cope with that really.

And with his side denied of their first choice defence, Warnocked conceded the ease in which Fulham were able to punish his side, giving Jol's men credit in the process.

"I thought it was like a knife slicing through butter today," bemoaned Warnock. "All credit to Fulham, they took advantage, and all good players will take advantage of a back four in disarray really. I don't think anyone packed up or anything, I just feel that on the day they were too good for us really.

"We've done well so far, building from the back with a few clean sheets which is fabulous, but we can't afford too many injuries. I think most teams would have beaten us easily with the way we defended.

"We had to chop and change really. We had Luke Young playing at left-back, Bradley Orr coming in and Fitz Hall had to play really. So it was disappointing to lose when you look at the back four who have got the clean sheets, it's Traore, Gabbidon and Luke Young at right-back.

"I don't think we're good enough yet to lose three players like that and not get punished. Although in fairness I thought we could have had a go after half-time and restore some pride, but to lose a goal like the fourth one is very disappointing to say the least. That's Sunday league stuff, isn't it.

"I don't think we should talk about individuals today, because they were all pretty bad. We've had a bad day at the office today. But that's what you're going to get. You're going to get some drubbings, but to be honest with you I didn't expect one today."

Warnock did however, note his appreciation of the display from the away fans who he says appreciate the journey they have been on.

"The fans today were fantastic; they know how far we've come and how quickly we've done it. You know you're going to get some days like this in the Premier League, it's a cruel league with some good players but we do know we have to be at our very best every game to play at this level."

And Warnock also spoke about his mercurial winger Adel Taraabt, who he substituted at half-time after a disappointing first-half display.

"I don't think you can blame Adel Taraabt for today. I think if we had Darren Bent and a few England players out there we probably still would have got beaten 6-0.

"You're going to get a few days where Adel comes off and throws his dolls out the pram, but that isn't a worry for me. If I sub someone and they are happy, that's a more worrying sign for me."

There was, however, one bright moment for the visiting fans, who got to see striker Jamie Mackie make his comeback from injury after a leg break last season.

"It was great for [Jamie Mackie]. I wanted to give him 15 minutes because he's had so many knockbacks in the nine months since he broke his leg. He's been told 'next week you'll be back with the squad' and then three weeks later or four weeks later you're not there and it can get to you.

"You've seen today, he doesn't know any other way and I'm pleased for him. At least it's one little bright point for the fans today because they know how important he was for us last year to get where we are now."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/10/02/2693395/qpr-manager-neil-warnock-losing-6-0-to-fulham-was-one-of-my?

WhiteJC

'I would have liked to have scored eight or nine' – Martin Jol delighted with Fulham's thumping 6-0 victory over QPR
The Cottagers' boss praised his squad after hitting six past their rivals and hints striker Johnson is capable of even more, while playing down reports of conflict with Zamora

Fulham manager Martin Jol praised his squad after defeating QPR 6-0 at home to record their first Premier League victory of the season.

His side took advantage of a poor defensive performance to record an emphatic home win after a run of draws had left the Cottagers near the bottom of the table going into the match, but Jol, cheekily, admitted he would have liked his side to have score more.

"I would have liked to have had eight or nine, but 3-0 would have been ok, as well as winning 1-0 or 2-1," Jol told reporters. "We had three draws here on the trot, and with the Europa League that's four, which is probably two too many."

"They are a good footballing team, so sometimes that can be a disadvantage. Of course we took the initiative but sometimes we let them play as well to get more space in front with our four attacking players and I think we did well in that respect.

"We played 4-4-2 today with two wide players who can come in and I think that caused them a problem, and with the two full-backs overlapping as well, especially John Arne Riise. I've been here for three or four months and this is what we try to do."

On-form striker Andy Johnson bagged a hat trick to add to his brace against Odense, and Jol hinted there may be more to come from the former England international.

"I was very happy for him, and happy for us as well," he continued.

"Of course he scored the goal in Europe but on the other hand it doesn't matter who scores the goals, we need to get the result. Maybe today we get too many and in other games we don't get the goals we need so that was the only problem.

"The only negative about Andy was that when I was in England before, he scored 20 or so goals and 10 were penalties. That was good, but I told him: 'I think you're capable of scoring at least 10-15 goals,' and I hope he will prove me right."

He also played down reports of conflict with striker Bobby Zamora after he started the game after missing out on the Europa League fixture with a reported illness.

"He was ill, not even on the training ground," the Dutchman said.

"Then one day before we left for Denmark he came to the training ground and I told him 'I think you better stay and do some sessions', because I still had Andy Johnson and that proved to be enough up front because he scored two goals."

"Nowadays with all these agents, if you leave someone out they will tell their agent and then their agent will tell you. Bobby is OK, the only thing is Bobby is a sensitive person. Sometimes you leave him out. If he's ill in bed, you can't expect me to take him, and he maybe doesn't like that. There was no bust-up."

"I have bust ups with young players, I tell them what to do...hopefully they're happy with a manager who tells the truth."

He also reserved praise for the quality of his squad which has been obliged to meet the demands of playing in the Europa League.

"The first couple of months for the Europa League, Clint Dempsey wasn't there and Moussa Dembele wasn't there so we used to play with Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora all the time.

"As soon as the Premier League started, Bobby had to drop out with injuries and Andy had the same problem two or three times so it was not possible to play them together.

"Don't forget Moussa Dembele can play up front as well so we've got various options and today I wanted to keep the momentum going with Andy Johnson which is normal after the game against Odense, and that proved to be a good decision.

There's a lot of positives. We played well, but you have to put the ball into the net for confidence and you need a player like Andy as well, but hopefully one time it will be Andy who scores a hat-trick, the next time it will be Bobby who gets a hat-trick."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/10/02/2693401/i-would-have-liked-to-have-scored-eight-or-nine-martin-jol?

WhiteJC

Stockdale and Zamora in England squad
by DAN on OCTOBER 2, 2011

David Stockdale and Bobby Zamora have named in the England squad for their final Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro next week.

England need a point from Friday's game in Montenegro to seal a place at next year's finals in Poland and Ukraine. Stockdale, currently on loan at Ipswich, has been a regular as the back-up goalkeeper in recent England squads and has been on the bench in England's last two fixtures. The 26 year-old goalkeeper has been in excellent form whilst on loan at the Championship club, producing fine displays in Ipswich's last two games: a 0-0 draw at Middlesbrough and the 3-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion yesterday.

Zamora has been called-up to the England squad for the first time this season after recovering from niggling ankle and thigh problems. He was left involved in the 2-2 draw against Switzerland in the summer as an unused substitute and has shown signs of returning to the form that propelled him into the international reckoning over the last two seasons. He scored his fifth goal of the campaign this afternoon in Fulham's 6-0 humbling of QPR.

FULL ENGLAND SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), David Stockdale (Fulham – on loan at Ipswich Town).

DEFENDERS: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

MIDFIELDERS: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

FORWARDS: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham).

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/stockdale-and-zamora-in-england-squad/?

WhiteJC

England Calling

On Sunday evening Fabio Capello named Fulham striker Bobby Zamora in his 24-man squad for England's final UEFA Euro 2012 Group G Qualifier on Friday night (KO 8pm BST).

England travel to Podgorica knowing that a point against Montenegro will secure a place at next summer's Finals in Poland and Ukraine.

Zamora will team up with England after scoring in Fulham's 6-0 victory over QPR on Sunday. Fulham goalkeeper, David Stockdale, who is currently out on loan, has also been called up by Capello for Friday international match.

The England squad:

Goalkeepers
Scott Carson, Joe Hart, David Stockdale

Defenders
Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones, Micah Richards, John Terry, Kyle Walker

Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young

Forwards
Darren Bent, Andy Carroll, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Bobby Zamora

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/ZamoraEnglandCallUp.aspx?#ixzz1ZhalzwYe

WhiteJC

QPR stars 'embarrassed' by Fulham drubbing

FITZ Hall has apologised to QPR fans for their dismal display in the derby drubbing at Fulham.

Rangers were hammered 6-0 at Craven Cottage by their west London rivals as Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora ran riot against QPR's makeshift backline.

But Hall, who was playing through the pain barrier with a hamstring injury, has held his hands up.

He posted on his Twitter account: "All I can is apologise to every single QPR supporter. Our performance today was unacceptable, I'm sorry."

Midfielder Shaun Derry added: "A terrible performance by us all today. Feel embarrassed and angry. That's just not like us normally. Feel for the fans who witnessed it!"

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/qpr-ealing/2011/10/02/qpr-stars-embarrassed-by-fulham-drubbing-64767-29526679/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v QPR – Player Ratings
by LORK on OCTOBER 2, 2011

Yeah so we won six nil. I still haven't drifted back down from my state of elevated nirvana which explains my laid back manner if you were wondering. But this is a result we won't forget for a long, long time; and one we won't let the QPR fans forget either. I still have my concerns. It is too easy for opposing players to find space in dangerous positions and between the lines and our closing down and marking in defensive positions isn't great, QPR could have scored one or two today. But we could have scored ten, our attacking play was that good. And if that's the cost of a style which brings us performances like we saw today, well, I think that's a price worth paying.

Schwarzer – 7, couldn't kick so Baird and Riise split duties depending on where the goal or deep free kick was taken from and players were reluctant to pass back to him. However this meant his distribution was always short and it was good actually. In a perverse way it meant we played well from deep. In terms of saves, he made a couple of good ones but wasn't really tested other than a Faurlin free kick which deflected off Campbell in the opposite direction to which Schwarzer was moving and he adjusted really well to go down low. Again his handling was superb. He seems to catch everything that goes towards him. In so many ways that's such an underrated attribute; not only does it mean there are no second balls to contest but your team regains possession. That is his level of ability, he didn't have to stretch himself particuarly for crosses or saves today.

Hangeland – 7, his composure on the ball and passing was fantastic. So wonderful when we can play it from the back like we did today. Seems to have cut down on those raking, usually overhit, balls to Riise over on the left too. In terms of defensive play, well Bothroyd didn't have a sniff other than one chance which Hangeland threw his head at in a very brave clearance but he was guilty of leaving Mackie alone towards the end of the match; luckily he slipped as he shot.

Baird – 7.5, like Hangeland had a really good game with his passing and I gave him the extra .5 for his really quite good goal kicks, which can't go unmentioned because a successful goal kick greatly improves our chances of picking up the ball in a dangerous position (maybe it should be a regular thing?). Don't think he was particuarly tested defensively, so a quiet game like that usually implies a pretty good one.

Grygera – 7, didn't get forward as much as I thought he would, but he played an important role in making sure we weren't exposed when Riise bombed forward. Tidy in possession and made a few good interceptions and tackles. Really has been a pleasant suprise from the summer transfer window.

Riise – 8, this is the kind of performance we expected from him. Got forward so much, and I know it's a cliche, but it was literally like Riise was an auxillary left winger. With the width he provided Dempsey could come inside and cause havoc and we always had an outlet on the touchline. While he's not blessed with pace he is very strong and has wonderful stamina. Although nothing came from his crosses they are dangerous and he has a bit of creativity to his play too. Perhaps this goes some way to explaining why our right back slot has been played by centre halves most of the season.

Murphy – 9, oh my giddy Aunt a player scored a penalty for us in a west London derby. The penalty itself was wonderfully cool, but for me his assist for AJ was even better. Fantastic speed of thought, he didn't even point, he just spotted AJ's run and played the perfect ball instantly. Other than that his passing was a joy to watch. Switched play from flank to flank at will and kept our momentum running like a well oiled machine with shot intelligent passes. Murphy at his best, as we know, is a brilliant player no matter how many years it is between a game and his date of birth, and today he was at his best. And this is after 80 odd minutes in Denmark 3 days earlier. Great stuff.

Sidwell – 8, picked up a yellow five minutes in after a tackle on Taarabt and I'm sure I wasn't the only one that went 'uh oh, he's not going to survive the rest of the game' but to be fair he kept his discipline really well and we didn't see a thing from Taarabt in the other fourty minutes he played. I think that Sidwell was cautious with his tackling for the rest of the game so Faurlin et al. skipped around him a couple of times when close to the box, examples like that show the importance keeping your discipline, but credit to him for keeping composed. So while we didn't see him make the tackles he normally would he was as important as Murphy in our possession. His long passing isn't as good and we didn't see any from him but he roamed around the pitch taking up good positions to collect the ball, as well as making a few good, aggressive runs up front.

Dembele – 8.5, he has his critics but we all know Dembele has a scary amount of ability. The ease at he can glide past players is sometimes jaw dropping, honestly. His problem comes with his tendency to hold onto the ball for too long or not make the right attacking option. You couldn't accuse him of that today. Dembele commited players and played good passes, sometimes out wide to Riise (the two combine really well like that very often actually), sometimes good subtle flicks to dummy QPR players and when he had the opportunity he shot. He has a good ball striking technique and it came off today for AJ's first after just 80 odd seconds, and I don't think it'll be long until he scores his first. He must, however, keep up performances like this. He played this well against City so we know he can do it against the best, he just needs to do it consistently.Worked tremendously hard too.

Dempsey – 9, missed a good chance in the first half and almost scored in the second with an audacious effort, but took his goal when it came very well with a good bit of anticipation and a neat finish, and lest we forget played in Zamora superbly to return the favour for the England man. Overally his display was full of confidence; like Dembele tracked back really well and made some good defensive interceptions and tackles, but going forward his close control and passing were really neat and nice to see. His instinct of scoring goals and getting into dangerous positions from deep is so important to our attacking play so nice to see him get a goal that he deserved.

Zamora – 9, this display showed all the signs of a training ground contretemps. Full of ill discipline, lazy running an- oh... Alright I'm being a bit mean there but the media tend to blow things like that out of all proportion, and to sensationalise to the fact that the headline ran 'Zamora seals Fulham exit' was ridiculous. His performance did all the talking anyway. Wonderful strength to hold off defenders and delicate touches to lay the ball off accurately to team mates in the final third. His composure on the ball is admirable, and it unites a whole load of attacking play around the box. His two key assists came from firstly alert play, picking the ball up after a deflection (although he might have been offside) and firing the ball accurately across to Johnson and secondly from a lovely measured flick to Dempsey with the outside of his right foot. His goal was finished really well too, driven low into the opposite corner, again with his weaker foot and not much unlike his first goal for us against Bolton three years ago. I'm not really sure he has a weaker foot any more to be honest. I'll stop using that phrase. Congratulations to him for getting into the England squad too.

Johnson – 9.5, now this, this is the player we all thought we signed for ten million pounds. Goal poacher extraordinaire with the work rate to match. Now, he has lost the pace that marked him out from being a good player to an England international and I'm not going to scream for a recall yet, but today he burned the QPR defenders numerous times, and all four of them (Young, Ferdinand, Orr and Hall) are no slouches themselves. The first two goals were just pure strikers instincts, to anticipate poor keepers handling and then to react to get into the perfect position to recieve a ball across goal. The third was a wonderful bit of movement, spotting a bit of space and taking advantage as both defenders next to him switched off to slot home with his body at an angle. Plus the perserverance and speed of thought he showed to win that penalty, many like which he won for Palace. Other than that he showed turns and subtlety of movement (by that I just mean feints or shifts with his body on the spot) I haven't really seen from him before. And of course he got behind the defence a couple of times to fizz in crosses which were blocked. Came off to recieve a much deserved standing ovation. Very tempting to give him a 10 – but no one plays the perfect game.

Subs:

Ruiz – 6, expected him to come on and I thought he'd get on a bit earlier. Good game for him to come in on and he had a couple of chances to show off his ability. Seemed to play right wing when he did but I don't know why, to me he's much more like a player who plays where Andy Johnson does but should be given the freedom to move wherever he likes, not much unlike Dembele; so both the off the shoulder role and behind the striker, since he has the skill, scoring instinct and speed to be able to do both. Went on a lovely mazy dribble when he beat 3 or so defenders while running at them which was neat although when in a good shooting position decided to beat one more man, snatched at a chance when he could fired it across goal but caused a bit of a nuisance and his eye for a pass is something to watch as he almost put Sa away with a lovely bit of technique. Hopefully he comes good sooner rather than later, but I know he will. Noticable though that our attacking pressure was relieved when AJ came off.

Etuhu – N/A, came on for Etuhu in what was a token sub I think, to give him a few minutes of fitness and Murphy a good reception. Had 7 minutes so couldn't do much.

Sa – N/A, again didn't do much but I do like his economical movement. He's about as quick as Zamora by my reckoning but gets away from defenders really easily.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/fulham-v-qpr-player-ratings/?

WhiteJC

Fulham thrash sorry QPR

QPR came crashing back down to earth with a thud at Craven Cottage, as Fulham recovered from their stuttering start to the season, with an impressive six goal haul.

Martin Jol will be ecstatic with his team's display, with a brilliant Andrew Johnson hat-trick and goals from Clint Dempsey, Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy completing the unexpected rout.

With four draws and two defeats in their opening six Premier League games a performance of this magnitude, from the Cottagers, was unexpected. There have been signs, in recent weeks, of an imminent upturn in fortunes and such a feat came as no surprise to Andrew Johnson and the rest of the Fulham squad:

"Everyone is delighted with the result and for the fans because it was a local derby.
"We felt this result was coming and Steve Sidwell said during our pre-match meal that it would happen today," said Johnson.

Thankfully for the Fulham faithful, Johnson, who has been blighted with injuries for large portions of his career, is getting back to his brilliant best and should go from strength to strength barring injury.

QPR will be severely disappointed with their performance in what was their first local derby of the season. Whether such a performance showcases a lack of talent and a dearth in work ethic or is simply a blip on Neil Warnock's survival radar, only time will tell. Warnock was understandably disappointed with his side's performance, but has cause to be optimistic:

"I think I've had a couple of bad defeats as a Manager and it's not easy –this is one of the worst.

"We've all had a bad day at the office. You expect some drubbings when you come up, even though I didn't expect one today.

"You're going to get days like today in the Premier League, because it's a cruel league with some great players."

Warnock's perceptive attitude is laudable, Premier League survival would be seen as a success for QPR this season, despite their excellent start to the campaign.

It is Warnock's understanding which may keep feet on the ground at the Loftus Road club, and ensure survival for the Premier League newcomers.

A thoroughly unexpected result that will give Martin Jol and his men a huge boost of confidence, but also one that shouldn't severely damage the immediate aspirations of this QPR side.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/54626/?

WhiteJC

Bus strop! Star man Taarabt storms away from Craven Cottage as QPR lose 6-0

Adel Taarabt was seen sprinting away in his QPR tracksuit after storming out of Craven Cottage as his team were humiliated 6-0 at Fulham.

Following a furious half-time bust-up with boss Neil Warnock, the midfielder - stripped of the captaincy after Joey Barton's arrival - showered and left the ground. He headed towards the Crabtree pub in Fulham before  Rangers supporters, many of whom left when the team conceded a fourth goal inside an hour, approached him on Fulham Palace Road near a bus stop.

Taarabt posed for pictures with some young supporters until, according to one one witness, the atmosphere turned hostile and Taarabt sprinted off. QPR refused to comment officially, but Taarabt is now facing a heavy fine.

The Moroccan midfielder, who quit playing for his country when dropped  in June, scored 19 goals as QPR won the Championship last season but was poor on Sunday and was substituted at half-time.

Taarabt was on the verge of a £12million move to Paris Saint-Germain in the summer but Warnock persuaded him to stay.

And, despite claiming he had accepted his boss's decision to give the captaincy to Barton, he was privately furious.

Warnock refused to deny their half-time spat and would not comment when asked if he planned to discipline Taarabt.

The QPR boss said: 'I've no idea what happened. I don't think you can blame Adel Taarabt today. You've got to look at why we conceded six goals.

'You're going to get days when Adel throws his toys out the pram. If you're not bothered about being subbed... I'd rather have players like that, me.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2044505/Adel-Taarabt-storms-away-QPR-lose-6-0.html#ixzz1Zhc7VhXU

WhiteJC

Johnson hat-trick hits QPR for six as Taarabt 'storms out of ground'
Fulham 6 Queen's Park Rangers 0

"Welcome back", the Fulham fans sang to their west London rivals but this was the equivalent to sending the neighbours home with food poisoning after they have come round for the first time in a decade. While there is rather less animosity attached to this derby than the weekend dust-ups in Merseyside and north London, it was still a humiliating result which will live long in local schools and offices.

It may also have repercussions for Adel Taarabt, Rangers' temperamental playmaker who reportedly stormed out of the ground after being substituted at half-time. Neil Warnock did not deny nor confirm this but it would be no surprise given the Moroccan's previous behaviour.

Rangers' chief tormentor was Andy Johnson, who finally brought his Europa League form into the Premier League. Johnson, who has scored six times in Europe this season but not once in domestic competition, notched the first hat-trick of his Premier League career and created two other goals. It was, surprisingly, the first hat-trick scored by a Fulham player since they returned to the top flight a decade ago.

Martin Jol is, though, a hard man to please. Earlier this week, he said he thought it was about time Johnson scored in the Premier League. Now he has, Jol said "maybe we scored too many goals today, we could have done with some of those in other games".

Indeed, Fulham had only managed four goals, and no wins, in their opening six Premier League games. QPR, though, proved very accommodating opposition and victory was always on the cards after Johnson scored the fastest goal of the season after 79 seconds. Rangers stood off Moussa Dembélé and, after Paddy Kenny parried his shot, Johnson reacted first to tap in. By the 10th minute, it was clear Rangers' patched-up defence was in for a roasting. Fitz Hall had been forced to clear off his own line to avoid an own goal after Clint Dempsey's cross caused problems and Dempsey wasted a free shot 10 yards out.

Bradley Orr, who blocked that shot, was being overrun on the right with Dempsey and John Arne Riise doubling up on him, but Rangers' problems stemmed from the front. Joey Barton, who was supposed to provide cover, was being sucked into the middle to help Shaun Derry and Ali Faurlin, while Rangers' left-sided front three stood and watched. Taarabt, having been kicked early on by Steve Sidwell, was an irrelevance.

Not that the defence could blame anyone else for the second. As Johnson chased his own flick-on, Hall and Kenny confused one another and the latter clattered into Johnson. Murphy stroked home the penalty. The third did follow another left-wing sally, Johnson reacting first again after Riise's cross caused chaos.

Warnock went to a conventional 4-4-2 after the break and Rangers did play better, but they remained a shambles defensively. Around the time Taarabt was allegedly spotted on Fulham Palace Road waiting for a bus or taxi, Murphy took advantage of lax defending by Hall and Barton to feed Johnson from a quick free-kick for his hat-trick. The treble was as many as he scored last season from 29 games (many, admittedly, which he started on the bench).

For the fifth goal, Dempsey drove in after Johnson beat Orr and Bobby Zamora laid his cross off. Zamora then concluded a difficult week for him – Jol did not convincingly rebuff reports of a training-ground dispute between the pair – by drilling in the sixth goal. The score equalled the record margin between these clubs, set by Fulham in 1948, and was Fulham's biggest win in the Premier League since relegating Norwich six years ago.

Warnock bemoaned the absence of Armand Traoré through suspension, Danny Gabbidon and Matt Connolly with injury, and the fact Hall suffered a strain in the warm-up, but none of them would get into many Premier League teams. Come the January transfer window, a defender will be a priority. Jamie Mackie's return, after nine months out with injury, was a minor consolation.

Substitutes: Fulham Ruiz 6 (Johnson, 75), Etuhu (Murphy, 83), Sa (Dembele, 87). QPR

Smith 5 (Derry, h-t), Campbell 5 (Taarabt, h-t), Mackie 5 (Bothroyd, 72). Booked: Fulham Hangeland, Sidwell. QPR Hall, Faurlin, Wright-Phillips. Man of the match Johnson.

Match rating 7/10.

Possession: Fulham 57% QPR 43%.

Attempts on target: Fulham 13 QPR 10.

Referee A Marriner (W Midlands).

Attendance 23,766.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/johnson-hattrick-hits-qpr-for-six-as-taarabt-storms-out-of-ground-2364734.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss lifts the lid on Zamora dispute

MARTIN Jol has denied he has had a bust-up with star striker Bobby Zamora.

The Fulham frontman reportedly clashed with his boss at the Motspur Park training ground this week after being left out of the squad for the Europa League trip to Odense.

Jol admits Zamora was unhappy not to be included, but insists there is no rift between the pair.

He said: "I can't remember a bust-up with Bobby. He's a sensitive person and if you leave him out because he's ill in bed maybe he doesn't like it. That could be the case.

"The day before we left for Denmark he trained but I told him to stay here to do some sessions because I had Andy Johnson, and he proved to be enough.

"Bobby scored a very good goal [against QPR] and hopefully he will start liking me because I like him after scoring a goal."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/03/fulham-boss-lifts-the-lid-on-zamora-dispute-82029-29527242/?#ixzz1Zhcxlrma

WhiteJC

Fulham demolish QPR 6-0

Andrew Johnson scored a hat-trick as Fulham demolished London rivals Queens Park Rangers on Sunday for their first Premier League win of the season.

The striker pounced after Paddy Kenny spilled a shot from Mousa Dembele after 78 seconds, won a penalty converted by Danny Murphy and struck from six yards.

After the break he collected a Murphy free-kick before slotting home.

Clint Dempsey scored after a flick from Bobby Zamora, who added the sixth with a crisp shot into the bottom corner.

Fulham fans will hope the emphatic win will kick-start a campaign which had previously failed to ingite, with four draws and two losses in their opening six Premier League fixtures.

The first Premier League hat-trick by a Fulham player was taken in fine style, but it also exposed a slack defensive display which left QPR manager Neil Warnock fuming on the sidelines.

The tone was set in the second minute when Johnson netted the quickest goal in the Premier League so far this season, when Kenny was unable to cling on to Dembele's shot and the former Everton striker was first to react.

The lead was doubled soon after thanks to more good work from Johnson, who battled through to the edge of the box and was clumsily brought down by Kenny - and Murphy stepped up to score.

Johnson, who scored twice in the Cottagers' Europa League win over Odense on Thursday night, has been offered a new two-year contract at Craven Cottage – and his performance will have done his position in negotiations no harm.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2011100316552893

WhiteJC

Johnson hat-trick too hot for QPR to handle

With west London temperatures hitting almost 30 degrees on the first weekend of October, it was Andy Johnson who officially announced the Indian summer of his career with a hat-trick. And manager Martin Jol swiftly urged the striker to recommit to the club who paid £10.5m for his services in 2008. For their money, Fulham received just 19 goals in the three seasons before this but the 30-year-old, so badly affected by injuries in the past, now has five in four days, following a pair against Odense in the Europa League on Thursday and the three here as Fulham routed QPR.

But this was not a typical Johnson performance, so often all about his stealthy goal-scoring prowess. It was about so much more than that, as demonstrated by his involvement in the build-up for two more of his side's six goals.

And Fulham manager Jol, who finally has his first Premier League win in charge at Craven Cottage, insists that Johnson, a free agent in the summer, must now decide where his future lies.

"It's up to him," said the Dutchman. "I won't go into details, but it's a good contract. You would be happy with it. We have offered Andy Johnson this year, next year and an option (of another year)."

A Danny Murphy penalty and goals by Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora rounded off the scoring for the Cottagers. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

- Fulham 6 , QPR 0 , Declan Taylor

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/johnson-hattrick-too-hot-for-qpr-to-handle-2894013.html

WhiteJC

FULHAM BOOSTED BY BIG WIN - JOHNSON

Andrew Johnson: Hat-trick hero

Fulham striker Andrew Johnson admits Sunday's 6-0 victory over west London rivals QPR was an important boost for the club.

While some feared the Cottagers may struggle with a hangover from their midweek European exertions, they impressed from the offset and dominated throughout against their neighbours from less than three miles up the road.

Johnson handed the home side the lead after just 79 seconds and then scored either side of half-time on the way to a resounding win.

"I scored a hat-trick in the Championship but that's my first in the Premier League and a great day for me and my family," he said.

"Strikers hitting 25 or 30 goals is getting harder to do and hat-tricks are far and few between. If you get into double figures these days you have done very well.

"This win meant an awful lot to the fans and the players.

"Everything went in, everything the boys hit which is unfortunate for QPR but they just caught them out.

"We have great players in this team and for the last five or six games we've created so many chances, but keepers have been on form or we've just been unlucky in front of goal.

"However, I think the feeling was that it was due and it was coming.

"Steve Sidwell said before the game that he had a good feeling about today and he came straight off and said 'I told you, I told you'.

"Everyone is delighted. It is a great win and it is great for the fans because it is a local derby as well."

QPR manager Neil Warnock was visibly frustrated by his side's performance on the Craven Cottage touchline and believes the result highlights his side's weaknesses.

"I've had a couple of these results before but it's not easy," he said. "This is one of the worst.

"If ever there was a day to catch us it was today and good players take advantage of a situation. The last 48 hours we've had a nightmare really.

"Danny Gabbidon has had recurrence of his injury, we lost Matt Connolly on Saturday to an innocuous challenge, then Fitz Hall had an injury before the game.

"And you've got Armand Traore sat in the stands [suspension]. We can't cater for that with the squad we've got.

"But I'm learning and at our stage you've got to look after yourselves because things can happen like this and you can lose four players in the space of a few hours.

"It was like a knife slicing through butter. All credit to Fulham, they took advantage.

"I felt at half-time we could've had a go if we had got the next goal and got a bit of pride back but then to concede a goal like the fourth is very disappointing. It's Sunday League stuff."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/03/SOCCER_Fulham_Johnson.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165