watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (06/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 06, 2011, 07:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Pajtim Kasami denies rift with Fulham manager Martin Jol amid reports that he was fined after missing penalty
The midfielder has denied claims that the team were angry with the boss after he apparently punished him for missing from the spot against Chelsea in the League Cup

Suggestions of unrest in the Fulham camp have been denied by Pajtim Kasami following reports that players were angered by Martin Jol's decision to fine the midfielder for missing a penalty against Chelsea in the League Cup.

The Swiss under-21 international has jumped to the defence of Jol, claiming that it was no more than a misunderstanding which led to him stepping up to the spot for the penalty.

Kasami told the club's official website: "In the heat of the battle at Stamford Bridge I felt confident that I could score when we were awarded a penalty against Chelsea.

"I wasn't fully aware that Orlando Sa was the designated penalty taker for this game, and it was my desire to help my team that resulted in me stepping forward.

"In hindsight I made the wrong decision and I apologised to the manager immediately after the game, and we agreed it was a miscommunication.
"Any subsequent action taken against me is a confidential matter between me and the manager, and I am satisfied with the outcome and have no issues about it."

He then went on to explain that the reports claiming Fulham players were frustrated with the Dutch manager were totally false, and that the story has been totally fabricated.

"As for this matter causing any unrest in the camp, these reports are utter rubbish and I am most disappointed that after such a fantastic win on Sunday, this story is making the wrong kind of headlines," he explained.

Brede Hangeland was also involved in the story as it was reported he was expected to appeal to the PFA on behalf of Kasami against the decision of the manager.

He also refuted these claims made against him: "I haven't even spoken to Pajtim about this, so it's news to me that I'll be discussing his fine with the PFA."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/10/05/2697645/pajtim-kasami-denies-rift-with-fulham-manager-martin-jol?

WhiteJC

New Role for Old Boy!

One of our old boys has landed himself a nice little job!

Gary Peters, now fifty seven years of age, has been appointed as the Director of Football at Hereford United.

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to wish Gary every success in his new role!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257962#ixzz1ZyxhYzjG

WhiteJC

A Fine Twist

Continuing on the fine theme, there could be a surprising twist!

It appears that Kasami wasn`t the nominated penalty taker, that honour, for that match, belonged to Orlando Sa!

But, it turns out that nobody had told the other players of that fact, hence nobody challenged Kasami when he decided he`d take it.

To that end, it`s now being reported that Martin Jol has decided to fine himself!

Anyone care to guess where this will end?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257963#ixzz1Zyxvztay

WhiteJC

Fine Affair Rumbles On

The fact that our young midfielder, Kasami, was, apparently, fined for missing that penalty against Chelsea, continues to fill column inches.

The latest development seems to be that the PFA are going to get involved with one of their supposed bigwigs, Bobby Barnes, wanting to chat to our representative, Brede Hangeland.

Barnes, talking about the subject to the media remarked,

"I will bring it up with Brede. I`ve never heard of anything like this before and it could set a dangerous precedent."

"Managers issue instructions before games but players will make decisions during a match."

"What if a player is supposed to stand in the wall at a free kick and then ducks out of the way of the ball?"

"If the opposition score would he be punished too?"

You`d have to ask Martin Jol about that!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=257964#ixzz1ZyyINWJ9

WhiteJC

Baird jumps to the defence of under-fire Northern Ireland boss Worthington

Northern Ireland's Chris Baird has launched a passionate defence of under-pressure manager Nigel Worthington.

Worthington's current contract expires at the end of the year and a decision on his future is not likely before the last two Euro 2012 qualifiers - at home to Estonia on Friday and against Italy in Pescara four days later - are out of the way.

The former Norwich boss has come in for criticism from some fans, which reached fever pitch when a series of abject defensive errors saw his side lose 4-1 in Tallinn last month to realistically end their play-off hopes.

Predecessor Lawrie Sanchez made some scathing comments about Worthington's tenure in the aftermath of that match, but since then a handful of players have gone on record with their support for the manager.

Baird today became the latest to stand behind Worthington, who has been in the job for four and a half years.

'A lot of guys have said they back Nigel and I'm one of them,' Baird told said. 'He has been fantastic for us.

He has been great for our country and great for the players who have worked under him.

'He's always stuck by us and, personally, he backed me and picked me for big games. He has everyone's respect, he's a good coach and I back him.'

If the chants of the travelling fans after defeat in Estonia are anything to go by, Worthington can expect to face at least some negativity at Windsor Park on Friday, but Baird has called for a measure of perspective.
'The fans know that it was three mistakes for three of the goals against Estonia and that's what really killed us,' the Fulham man said.

'They aren't silly, they know it was one of those nights and I even thought we played well at times. Let's hope the fans come on Friday and get behind us.'

Worthington himself has learned to cope with the pressures of international management since taking the reigns following Sanchez's departure midway through Euro 2008 qualifying.

It would take a highly improbable series of events in the final two rounds for Northern Ireland to leapfrog from fifth in the group to second, but he intends to retain his focus.

'(Criticism) is part and parcel of management,' he told Sky Sports News. 'We'll give it our best shot and more often than not that has stood us in good stead.

'It's all to play for. Yes it's uphill, but my belief is that we are positive. We have a lot to do but we'll look to go and do it.'

Worthington has already lost three of his original 23-man squad for the Group C double header to injury, with Josh McQuoid (virus) and Jamie Ward (hamstring) joining Aaron Hughes, who has been denied a farewell appearance before retirement by a groin problem, in missing out.

Manchester United's Jonny Evans is also expected to miss the games.

The Red Devils are concerned about an ankle injury carried by the defender and kept him back for assessment.

He is not now expected to join his team-mates in Belfast, instead remaining in the north west to regain full fitness.

Evans, who played the full 90 minutes of United's win over Norwich at the weekend, missed the trip to Tallinn through suspension.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2045636/Baird-jumps-defence-Northern-Ireland-boss-Worthington.html#ixzz1ZyyYer7s

WhiteJC

Jol backing for FIFA's '6+5' rule

Fulham manager Martin Jol has spoken of his admiration for UEFA's newly-implemented financial fair play rules, but has also given his backing for the controversially touted '6+5' scheme.

"If you talk about Financial Fair Play, you could go on and on and on," he told Yahoo! "Everybody takes Barcelona as an example, everybody. But they are €450 million in debt!

"It's not the fairest set-up, but what I would like to see is the 6+5 rule, which will have the same effect. Play six players from abroad, and five English players. Then you will see the English national team benefit."

The regulations of the fair play rules have been introduced to encourage clubs to spend within their means and sustain the competitiveness and quality of the football across Europe.

However, Jol believes that UEFA shouldn't stop there. He wishes for the 6+5 rule to be introduced whereby clubs are obliged to field five home-grown players in their starting line-ups.

The Dutchman believes that not only his club would benefit from the changes, but that other sides and national teams could reap the rewards as well.

"Of course you have got exceptions like [Wayne] Rooney and [Jack] Wilshere who started young, but these are big, big players," Jol explained.

"Generally, will you see 19 or 20-year-old players in the England team? No. But if you see the under-21s now with [Daniel] Sturridge, [Jordan] Henderson, [Phil] Jones - they have all come through the ranks."

He added: "I think the English are probably on the right path, but you will see if you get the 6+5 rule, it could be good and fair.

"For example, I have got a player now in my reserves, Kerim Frei. He is 17 and has played eight games for us.

"Now I feel he would never have played for us if we hadn't given him the chance or if he was not good enough. But it was a necessity to play him because there was no Clint Dempsey and I needed someone to play on the left.

"That's the Dutch way - if your left winger is not there, you play the second one, and if he's not there you play your third. Frei has played a few games for us and he was one of our best players against Chelsea [in the Carling Cup].

"If you have a 6+5 rule there will be more space for young players and it will start to pay off because it is not all about money."

Fulham haven't enjoyed the best of starts to the season thus far, finding themselves teetering just two points above the relegation zone, but sparked into life last weekend with a 6-0 crushing of QPR.

However, Jol believes - with the correct attitude – the results will begin to take care of themselves.

"If you play your best football, starting from the back, the results will come naturally."

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/87257/default.aspx?

WhiteJC

Euro 2012 Betting: Zamora in contention for England start

It is rumoured that Bobby Zamora is seriously challenging Darren Bent for a spot in the side to face Montenegro. Michael Lintorn assesses the candidates...

Fabio Capello is yet to decide who will partner Wayne Rooney for England's must-not-lose Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro on Friday, though it is claimed that if Danny Welbeck is to feature, it will only be as a substitute.

Darren Bent is effectively the man in possession despite missing the Bulgaria and Wales victories and has gradually shown signs of carrying his fine Premier League scoring record over to international football, however his place in the starting line-up is far from secure.

The Aston Villa striker hasn't been in great form since Alex McLeish's arrival, although he has found the net twice, while criticism that offering little besides a goal threat isn't enough at international level perhaps unfairly persists.

Somewhat surprisingly it is Bobby Zamora rather than Andy Carroll or Welbeck who is being spoken of in some sections of the media as Bent's main rival for selection in Podgorica, with another option is of course to fly solo with Rooney again in a 4-2-3-1.

Zamora has been capped just once before, in a Wembley friendly against Hungary last summer, yet has struck five times already this season and is debatably the ideal foil of those fighting to support Rooney in a match that the Three Lions are 1.75 to win.

Carroll opened his Premier League account for the campaign in Liverpool's 2-0 Merseyside derby triumph at Goodison Park on Saturday, however he had failed to impress prior to that so is believed to have slipped down the England pecking order.

Welbeck has arguably been the standout performer of the quintet besides his Manchester United team-mate, firing five times in all competitions, but there is speculation that Capello is reluctant to throw him into the starting line-up for such a crucial game.

England have scored three in two of their three away qualifiers to date and are 3.8 to secure their spot in style by doing so once more against Montenegro.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/euro-2012/euro-2012-betting-zamora-in-contention-for-england-start-051011.html?

WhiteJC

View from the away end – Fulham

I know it's been a while since I penned a 'View from the away end' article. In truth it's been hard finding fans for the last few teams in the series. I have been searching 'blogs, fan sites and Facebook groups trying to find the last few teams to interview.
Fulham is one of the teams I struggled with being honest. I don't know any fans personally and so I went on a bit of a search to find a willing supporter to take part. It was a little random how I found the man for the job to be honest. I was browsing a website, some of you may be familiar with it, www.cultzeros.co.uk. For those of you not aware it's a website that sells football T shirts, including some Newcastle ones.

It's a great site and the lads running it seemed to be decent, genuine down to earth guys who love their football. Whilst browsing the website I noticed that one of the chaps – Paul that runs the place – is a big Fulham fan. I immediately emailed Paul and asked if he would take part in the Fulham edition of view and he kindly agreed to do so.

Fulham are a club that made a slow start to their Premier League campaign. With the distraction of European evenings, the London club have maybe been a little jaded during the early stages of the season. However Martin Jol's men appear to be ready to make up for lost time following their impressive 6-0 thumping of QPR on Sunday afternoon. Here's what Paul had to say:

How do you rate Newcastle fans?

Have always known a few Southern fans that are sound, but only through Cult Zeros have I integrated with proper Geordies. I've met a couple that are involved with the True Faith fanzine and they seem decent folk. On a broader scale they are always well supported and loud.

If you could have any one Newcastle player at Fulham who would it be and why?

I rate Cheik Tioté. Exciting to watch, works hard, high skill level.

Who is your favourite Newcastle player of all time and why?

There have been a few. Super Mac, being Fulham born and bred and a player and manager with us. However I got into football just as he was winding down at Arsenal. Philippe Albert was great to watch and did a good job on loan to us. Gazza of course. Though without doubt it would have to be Peter Beardsley. What a player both for his clubs and internationally. Seems a decent bloke too. I was very proud when he wore the white of Fulham and he was excellent despite being in the twilight of his career.

Certainly some legendary names came up there, good shouts indeed. Next question What do you think of St James' Park?

A decent stadium, but the away end is a bit too up in the gods to enjoy the game.

What do you think of Mike Ashley?

I'm a football fan. So if the Newcastle faithful don't like him, then I would have to agree. Renaming the stadium was odd, but it was never going to stick, well apart from in Sunderland perhaps. Though as I type, Newcastle are undefeated, so on the pitch things look good for you.

Fulham have brought in a top experienced manager in Martin Jol, but what do you think of Newcastle manager Alan Pardew?

Hmmm... not sure. He was touted around as potentially being our manager a few years ago. I wasn't excited by the news I have to admit. Steady, perhaps a bit smug, however is doing a great job so far considering he lost some key players.

How do you think we did in the transfer window?

Time will tell I guess. Yohan Cabaye has had a lot of experience at Lille and is in the international frame. Davide Santon is young, Gabriel Obertan had some experience at Manchester United.

Bryan Ruiz – a player who Newcastle allegedly made a last ditch attempt to sign on deadline day – ended up at Fulham. How do you rate him?

Yes it was a bit Hollywoody – very Sky hyped, that a helicopter was awaiting to take him up to Newcastle! Maybe he hates flying? Jol played him from the off against Blackburn. It wasn't a good idea and he looked overwhelmed. I'm sure he'll come good, but he will need to adapt to the pace of the Premier League.

Who will finish higher in the league?

I'll say Fulham on goal difference!

I normally ask fans for score predictions. Of course we have already played the fixture at St James- Newcastle won the game 2-1. What is your analysis of the game. Fair result?

An awful game played by two poor sides on the day. I think if we both could've lost we would have.

What's your score prediction for the return fixture this season?

Let's say a reverse for parity. 2-1 Fulham.

How do you think we did last season in our first season back in the Premier League?

With all the off-field problems I thought you did very well. (Hope that doesn't sound too patronising!)

Which Fulham player should we fear when we meet again at your place?

Duff seems a man possessed when he plays Newcastle, but think he might spend a bit more time on the bench this season. Dembélé is an exciting prospect. Writing this after the 6-0 defeat of QPR I have rose-tinted glasses on. Players tend to come back and haunt us, so, although he didn't play for Newcastle, perhaps a goal or two from Ruiz?

Finally I like to end these interviews by discussing a player that has represented both clubs. There has been a few to play for both (as mentioned earlier) but two come to mind. Firstly can I get your opinion on a player that was well liked at Newcastle – Aaron Hughes?

An unsung hero. Possibly one of our best value signings, certainly in recent years. Goes about his business very professionally. Off the field he seems articulate and a model pro. Has formed possibly Fulham's best ever centre-half pairing with Hangeland. This has been most of our fans gripe with Jol as he tinkered with this by playing Senderos in the middle and moving Aaron out to the right. He's injured at the moment, which is rare. Love to see him return but I am a great fan of Baird, so perhaps his place isn't guaranteed. Nothing but praise for Aaron.

And one that isn't remembered so fondly at St James' (for the manner he left) Damien Duff?

I can appreciate the Newcastle fans gripe, though remember he did sin before by playing for Chelsea. As a Fulham player he has had some great games. I like him, that's of course my own opinion.

Who could forget Duff's infamous quote following Newcastle's relegation – 'I'm as loyal as they come'. This is what the Irishman said after promising Newcastle fans he intended to stay with the club. He will not be remembered fondly at all.

I must admit I forgot to speak with Paul about Clarky. Lee of course made himself an even bigger hero with the Newcastle faithful after wearing a certain T shirt whilst playing for a certain Micky Mouse outfit down the road.

I would like to thank Paul for his time and his feedback. It was nice to hear him mention certain legends he has admiration for. He clearly knows his football, although as always some of his answers will cause a bit of debate. Please do check out the Cult Zeros website, I'm certainly going to order the Coloccini shirt. Please stayed tuned for the remaining view from the away end pieces.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2011/10/05/view-from-the-away-end-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Hughes delighted to see Zamora given England chance

Mark Hughes has revealed he is delighted to see Bobby Zamora get another chance with England.

Zamora played under Hughes at Fulham in a spell which saw the 30-year-old striker claim his only previous international cap.

But following his early season form for the Cottagers in the Premier League, which has seen him net three times, Hughes has told talkSPORT his former charge can be a real asset for England given the opportunity.

He said: "Bobby was absolutely flying and got into a previous England squad just prior to breaking his leg.

He was a huge loss to us last year and I feel sure that if we'd have had the benefit of Bobby's services for the whole of the season then who knows we might have even been higher than the 8th that we actually ended up.

"I'm delighted for him because he worked exceptionally hard to get back to the level of fitness that you need to have to perform consistently well at Premier League level.

"Now he's back there's no denying everyone appreciates what a good football player Bobby is when he has got real belief in the way he is playing, and in his current form he is very difficult to cope with."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1169/37/exclusive-hughes-delighted-see-zamora-given-england-chance?

WhiteJC

Fulham star slams reports of dressing room unrest

PAJTIM Kasami has hit back at reports claiming there is unrest in the Fulham camp.

The Switzerland U21 international was reportedly fined £500 after missing a penalty in the Carling Cup clash against Chelsea last month, with his team-mates unhappy with the supposed action taken by boss Martin Jol.

But the midfielder has rubbished the rumours and apologised for his actions in the SW6 derby.

He told the club's official website: "In the heat of the battle at Stamford Bridge I felt confident that I could score when we were awarded a penalty against Chelsea.

"I wasn't fully aware that Orlando Sa was the designated penalty taker for this game, and it was my desire to help my team and that resulted in me stepping forward.

"In hindsight I made the wrong decision and I apologised to the manager immediately after the game, and we agreed it was a miscommunication. Any subsequent action taken against me is a confidential matter between me and the manager, and I am satisfied with the outcome and have no issues about it.

"As for this matter causing any unrest in the camp, these reports are utter rubbish and I am most disappointed that after such a fantastic win on Sunday, this story is making the wrong kind of headlines."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/10/05/fulham-star-slams-reports-of-dressing-room-unrest-82029-29546885/?

WhiteJC

Kasami rejects unrest talk

Pajtim Kasami has rubbished reports of unrest in the Fulham camp and leapt to the defence of manager Martin Jol.

It was reported earlier this week that the 19-year-old northern summer signing had been reprimanded by Jol for his penalty miss against Chelsea in the Carling Cup last month.

Kasami was reportedly fined £500 ($800.91) for the incident, which subsequently led to unrest within the Fulham team.

The Switzerland Under-21 international has moved to quash such speculation and apologised to Jol for his actions at Stamford Bridge.

"In the heat of the battle at Stamford Bridge I felt confident that I could score when we were awarded a penalty against Chelsea," he told www.fulhamfc.com

"I wasn't fully aware that Orlando Sa was the designated penalty taker for this game, and it was my desire to help my team and that resulted in me stepping forward.

"In hindsight I made the wrong decision and I apologised to the manager immediately after the game, and we agreed it was a miscommunication.

"Any subsequent action taken against me is a confidential matter between me and the manager, and I am satisfied with the outcome and have no issues about it.

"As for this matter causing any unrest in the camp, these reports are utter rubbish and I am most disappointed that after such a fantastic win on Sunday, this story is making the wrong kind of headlines."

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland also expressed his disappointment at the story, adding on the club's official website: "I haven't even spoken to Pajtim about this, so it's news to me that I'll be discussing his fine with the PFA."

Jol's relationship with Fulham players has come under increasing scrutiny in recent times and last week he was forced to play down talk of a bust-up with Bobby Zamora.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1075677/Kasami-rejects-unrest-talk?

WhiteJC

SHOCK START FOR BOBBY ZAMORA

FABIO CAPELLO is ready to give a shock first England start to Bobby Zamora in tomorrow's crunch clash with Montenegro in Podgorica.

The England boss believes the Fulham star's ability to hold the ball up could be key factor in the Group G showdown.

Capello sprang a surprise when he named Bolton's Kevin Davies in his squad for the home tie against Montenegro a year ago.

Davies replaced Peter Crouch for the last 20 minutes as England were frustrated in a goalless draw. It remains the only occasion Davies, 34, has played for his country.

Zamora, 30, also has just one cap after coming on as a half-time sub in the 2-1 friendly victory over Hungary in 2010.

A source close to Capello said last night: "Wayne Rooney will play with somebody else, for sure. "Fabio is always really careful about the weakest point of the opponent.

"If he thinks the weakest point is behind the shoulder of their central defender, we will play with Danny Welbeck or Darren Bent.

"But if he's convinced that the weakness is playing in the hole between the lines, then he will play Zamora, because he will be able to hold the ball, keep it and deliver it into space for somebody."

It is understood Capello has decided to keep faith with Frank Lampard after leaving the Chelsea midfielder out of England's last Group G trip, the 3-0 win in Bulgaria.

ENGLAND could be playing on Thursdays, Sundays and Mondays, UEFA have revealed. International qualifiers will be played between Thursdays and Tuesdays from 2014 to boost TV coverage and income.

Teams will have just a two-day break between matches in World Cup and European Championship double-headers.

They will play either Thursdays and Sundays, Fridays and Mondays, or Saturdays and Tuesdays.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/214536/Shock-start-for-Bobby-Zamora/?

WhiteJC

Baird happy to be centre stage for Estonia clash

Chris Baird says he's ready to fill the void left by Jonny Evans' withdrawal from the Northern Ireland camp.

The Manchester United defender's ankle injury is the latest blow to manager Nigel Worthington ahead of tomorrow night's Euro 2012 qualifying Group C battle with Estonia at Windsor Park.

Evans will also miss the Italy clash on Tuesday night as he returns to his club for treatment.

Aaron Hughes' groin injury, ruling him out of what would have been the final double-header of his illustrious Northern Ireland career, now means that Baird and Gareth McAuley will perform centre-back duties with Craig Cathcart at left-back and possibly Lee Hodson at right-back.

Josh McQuoid (virus) and Jamie Ward (hamstring) also pulled out of the panel as Andrew Little, Oliver Norwood and Preston full-back Conor McLaughlin were called up as cover.

But Worthington has been forced to shuffle his backline and he has even tried to bring Newcastle United defender Shane Ferguson into the squad — a player who has also considered declaring allegiance to the Republic of Ireland.

However, the boss knows he can depend on Fulham ace Baird who will win his 55th cap.

And the Rasharkin man is determined to repay the faith shown in him by Worthington.

"I'm happy because I'm playing at my club and for my country," he said. "I enjoy the holding midfield role but I'm playing at centre-half at the minute and love it.

"It is my favourite position and I've played there for Fulham since Aaron got injured and it it is definitely my favourite position.

"If Nigel decides to play me there then I would be delighted but I will be happy playing anywhere to be honest."

Baird also expressed support for under-fire Worthington, saying he deserves another chance to lead Northern Ireland to the promised land of a major finals.

"A lot of guys have said they back Nigel and I'm one of them," added the 29-year-old.

"He has been fantastic for us. He has been great for our country and great for the players who have worked under him.

"He's always stuck by us and, personally, he backed me and picked me for big games. He has everyone's respect, he's a good coach and I back him.

"We are a small nation, we have only a certain amount of players to choose from and we have had a few injuries in recent times but I think Nigel has been great for the country.

"Whatever Nigel decides to do, stay on or go, I will respect but I would certainly like him to stay after this campaign."

After making it to a FA Cup final with Southampton and Europa League final with Fulham, Baird is determined to make it to a major finals with his country.

"Getting to a major tournament will always be very hard for us. That's not going to change," he added.

"We have been close but of course I'd love to get there. It would be the icing on the cake for me having played in an FA Cup final and a European final.

"Hopefully we'll get a few results in the next two games because it has been very frustrating.

"We start well then we slip up at crucial times after getting ourselves into a great position. Maybe it is a mental thing for some players. It's so frustrating.

"I really don't know but it always seems to backfire on us."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/baird-happy-to-be-centre-stage-for-estonia-clash-16059768.html?#ixzz1Zz2BQQWh

WhiteJC

The Fine Line: Why Crappy Journalism Make Footballers' Lives Hell

A story came out a few days before  Fulham played QPR that Bobby Zamora had a bust-up in training with Martin Jol that could cause the striker and fan favorite to be leaving as soon as the January transfer window.  Then Fulham rocked QPR's world with a 6-0 annihilation of epic proportions, and everything seemed right in SW6.

Then, another story came out.  It didn't focus on the 3 points Fulham desperately needed and came through with in sparkling fashion.  It didn't focus on how things seemed right with the club.  Its focus was a week earlier, when Pajtim Kasami banged a penalty off the crossbar against Chelsea in a Carling Cup tie Fulham eventually lost.

The story's headline: "Fulham fury after Martin Jol fines Pajtim Kasami for missing a penalty." However, the story suggested that, according to a 'Fulham insider' (whatever that means), Fulham manager had angered the club by fining Kasami for taking a penalty when he shouldn't have.  The article states that Jol had assigned Orlando Sa to take the penalties in that game, but Kasami had stepped up and taken one.

Wait a minute.....didn't the headline say he was fined for missing the penalty? Well, later in the article, it goes on to quote its 'Fulham insider' saying "Kasami wouldn't have been fined had he scored it."  Aside from the fact that apparently this 'Fulham insider', as we would learn later, is an idiot, if he/she even exists, we are led to believe by the title that Kasami was directly fined for missing a penalty, which would be absolutely nonsensical.  However, the real reason for the fine is buried in the article.

Not only is this headline absurdly misleading, but the entire article itself is built on a false premise.  If the real reason for the fine (the fact that Kasami wasn't even supposed to take the penalty in the first place) had been brought forward, the entire premise of the article (to criticize Jol for silly fines) would be lost.  Because I think most of us would agree that if a player disobeys a manager's orders on who should take penalties, a fine, especially one as petty as 500 quid, is an appropriate course of action.

THEN, the story took a really weird twist when it came out that Jol had FINED HIMSELF for failing to inform anyone but Orlando Sa that Orlando Sa was supposed to take penalties.  Wait....what?  So that shed some doubt on a lot of things, until Kasami himself came out to the media (on the Fulham official website, nonetheless) to dispel any unrest rumors.  Which was good because if anyone would be upset about a potentially problematic fine, it would be the person who got fined.  But Kasami said everything was just peachy. AND, it was also reported later that Brede Hangeland was going to talk to the PFA about the possibility of a violation with the fine.  But Brede said that was news to him, and it also ended up being untrue.

So what is my point on all this?

Well, there was really no reason that Pajtim Kasami should have to come out and rubbish rumors like this.  All articles like this do is cause publicity and emotional issues for players and managers alike.

My message to the masses is the following: please hold journalists accountable for idiotic stories like the original one The Sun posted.  Call the publication.  Write a letter.  Do something to stop this sensationalism.

I'm a little biased, I will admit.  Not only did I graduate from a university with a journalism degree, but I come from a country where NONE of this would fly.  For example, look at ESPN lacrosse analyst Quint Kessinich.  2 years ago, a player on the Virginia University men's lacrosse team was charged with murdering his girlfriend, a member of the Virginia women's lacrosse team.  When the story broke, Quint tweeted (not even wrote an article, he TWEETED!) incorrectly that Virginia lacrosse was cancelling the rest of the season.  Now, granted, a story like that would cause a little more emotional unrest than most because it involves a death.  However, it still falls under the category of misleading and incorrect breaking news that causes emotional unrest.  Because of this, Quint deleted his twitter account, fell into a few months of obscurity, and almost lost his job.  All because of a tweet.

Please, consumers of Premier League media, I beg of you: hold your newsbringers accountable.  Laud them when they break stories that end up being true, and chastise them and their employers when they break silly, misleading, and untrue stories like this one.  And maybe we can make a difference in things like this from happening.

There's no reason Pajtim Kasami should ever have had to come forward and rubbish these rumors.  There's no reason why Martin Jol, time and time again, should have had to come out and rubbish transfer rumors during this past summer of swirling ridiculousness.  And there's no reason why this bad reporting should continue. And don't tell me "that's just the way it is and has been."  That's the telltale excuse of someone who is perpetuating the problem.

And finally...let us enjoy our 6-0 derby win without worrying about bust-ups and untrue fines! Sheesh!

/rant

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2011/10/06/the-fine-line-why-crappy-journalism-make-footballers-lives-hell/?

WhiteJC

Goal Rush

After being left frustrated in front of goal at Stamford Bridge and the Hawthorns in recent weeks, Fulham let off some steam against Queens Park Rangers last weekend, firing six past their West London rivals at Craven Cottage to claim their second win of the week before the current international break.

Joining hat-trick hero Andrew Johnson on the score sheet last weekend was Clint Dempsey, and the US star is delighted to see the former England international back to his very best after some frustrating injury spells in recent years.

"That's five goals in two games for him [Andrew Johnson] now which is great," said Dempsey. "It's good that he is scoring as many goals as he is and hopefully that will continue.

"He is someone who always works hard and always puts in a good shift for the team. I respect him for the fact that he has had a couple of tough injuries and he has been able to fight back from them and now he is doing as well as he is this season."

Dempsey echoed the sentiments of his captain, Danny Murphy, following Sunday's 6-0 win stating that Johnson's early goal set the tempo for the game, as everything Fulham touched turned to goals.

"Anytime you score goals it's going to give your team confidence," explained Dempsey. "Getting the first goal of the day, it settles you a little bit and we were able to keep possession and that's important considering how hot it was on Sunday.

"I think they [QPR] got a little bit tired. We were able to stay compact at the back and make it difficult for them to create chances.

"I'm sure they were getting frustrated but then at the same time I thought we were doing better than we have normally done. We were being patient and picking out our passes on Sunday.

"Sometimes you play really well but can't score and other days it seems like everything is going in, and Sunday was one of those days."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/DempseyQPRReaction.aspx?#ixzz1Zz2trlZm

WhiteJC

Fulham bust-up dismissed
Kasami apologies to Jol for penalty miss at Stamford Bridge

Pajtim Kasami has described reports of a breakdown in relationships within the Fulham dressing room as 'utter rubbish'.

The 19-year-old was rumoured to have been fined £500 by boss Martin Jol for his penalty miss against Chelsea in the Carling Cup last month.

It was then alleged there was subsequent unrest within the Fulham team and last week Jol was forced to play down talk of a bust-up with Bobby Zamora.
But Switzerland Under 21 international Kasami has moved to quash such speculation and has apologised to Jol for his actions at Stamford Bridge.

"In the heat of the battle at Stamford Bridge, I felt confident that I could score when we were awarded a penalty against Chelsea," he told Fulham's official website.

Wrong decision

"In hindsight, I made the wrong decision and I apologised to the manager immediately after the game, and we agreed it was a miscommunication.

"Any subsequent action taken against me is a confidential matter between me and the manager, and I am satisfied with the outcome and have no issues about it.

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland also expressed his disappointment at the story, as he said: "I haven't even spoken to Pajtim about this, so it's news to me that I'll be discussing his fine with the PFA."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7225913,00.html

WhiteJC

Fabio Capello considering starting Phil Jones and Bobby Zamora for England in Montenegro clash - report
A competitive debut for the Fulham striker and a first senior cap of any kind for the Manchester United ace are reportedly in the offing for the crucial Euro 2012 qualifier

Fabio Capello is considering handing starts to both Phil Jones and Bobby Zamora for England's crucial Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro, according to reports.

The Daily Mail claims that Jones, who was in the squad but did not make the bench for either of the last two games against Bulgaria and Wales and has yet to make his debut, is close to dislodging Gary Cahill thanks to the good form that has seen him keep Rio Ferdinand out of the Manchester United team.

Bolton's Cahill played well and scored against Bulgaria, but Capello is wary of picking a player whose club are at the bottom of the Premier League, and who have conceded 21 goals in seven games.

The Italian manager hailed Jones last week as "an incredible talent" and could be set to line him up alongside captain John Terry, with Everton's Phil Jagielka reported to be the favourite to start at right-back ahead of Kyle Walker.

Zamora, according to The Daily Mirror, could make his competitive England debut in Podgorica depending on how Capello decides Montenegro are most vulnerable.

The Fulham striker could reportedly get the nod, with the Three Lions boss believed to be keen on a player who can hold the ball up.

Darren Bent and Danny Welbeck, the other strikers in the squad who could potentially partner Wayne Rooney, are pace merchants rather than target men, and may be set to lose out.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2011/10/06/2698594/fabio-capello-considering-starting-phil-jones-and-bobby?