https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Mirror/Johnny Haynes photo's

Started by FFCcravencottage, October 09, 2011, 07:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me-ate-Live, innit??

This is really great,  good quality photos, thank you for posting

richie17

They're not entirely unseen.  A number of these are the photos I got from the Mirror archives when researching When Football Was Football: Fulham!

LBNo11

...with the added bonus of a certain Beddy Jezzard...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

Peabody

I believe it is the Hungarian National Stadium. Beddy earnt his second and last cap there, England lost 7-1.

Burt

LBNo11

...not sure about that Peabody, there is an advert for News Of The World in the background, also the players have no England badge on their shirts, I suspect it is the players in their training shirts in an English ground...

cmg

Quote from: Burt on October 09, 2011, 03:41:01 PM
Nice one!

What stadium is it?

mmm...Tote board, dog track, kit-built double-decker in one corner. Only one ground in SW6 ever met that description.

Probably Nov 1955. Clayton, Hall, Wright, Baynham (?), Ditchburn (?), Dickinson, Byrne
                           Lofthouse, Atyeo, Jezzard, Taylor, Edwards, Haynes, Perry

Rather morbidly, 4 of these met early deaths - Edwards, Taylor and Byne at Munich, Hall from polio.

LBNo11

...You are absolutely right cmg, it is the old North Stand at the Walham Green dog track. By the way, the 'kit built' North Stand was a real disaster, if you sat at the top right of the picture you couldn't see the goal at the shed end, oh, and it was designed by Archibald Leitch's son Archibald Kent Leitch, built in 1939 and torn down in 1976 - "Stamford Bridge Is Falling Down, falling down, falling down - Stamford Bridge is falling down, poor old c#el$ea...

cmg

One of the (many) reasons I dislike Stamford Bridge, is that it makes me feel so bloody old.
I've stood on that bloody enormous West terrace (once in a 71,000 crowd for a Cup replay v Spurs. Could have been more. We bunked in , probably weren't the only ones) AND sat in the stand they built there, which has now been pulled down and replaced by the present monstosity (which might not have long left itself).