more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (11/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 11, 2011, 07:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Huckerby reveals the truth about Norwich City's disaster at Fulham

In the second of the Evening News' five-part serialisation of Darren Huckerby's autobiography, the former City star gives his take on that infamous trip to Fulham...

Craven Cottage, May 15, 2006 – one of the darkest days in Norwich City's history, according to Darren Huckerby. It was the day when City were thrashed 6-0 to go tumbling out of the Premier League with more of a whimper than a defiant roar.

When they needed to fight for their lives, they surrendered, woefully. As Huckerby admits, "rumours and myths abound about it", but he insists they have little foundation.

"Word has it that there were fights on the team bus even before we got to the game, an idea which has no truth to it whatsoever.

"We went in there believing we were going to win, whatever anyone says about it.

"The previous Saturday we'd beaten Birmingham at home to lift us into 17th and out of the relegation zone; we were one point ahead of Palace and Southampton, and two above bottom club West Brom. With one game to play, we were sure we could do it.

"I'd picked up a slight water infection and spent the night after the Birmingham game throwing up, but I'd recovered for Fulham and everything felt good, in terms of preparation, throughout the team. On the day however, people just didn't turn up."

The post-Fulham inquests continue to this day, with many believing – as does Huckerby – that too many players were thinking of what their futures held, not the club's.

"I believe the heads of some people had been turned a little bit. There were a few loan players and I feel that, maybe, Damien (Francis) thought he was away anyway. I'm not saying he didn't turn up for Fulham, but I think his head was maybe elsewhere for a few months prior to that match.

"It happens – people can whisper things in your ear, promise you this and that.

"It had happened to me that season. Two agents called me, both saying they represented Liverpool. Apparently, they were interested in me. I just told them both to speak to Phil (Smith), who would deal with it – and that it wouldn't be happening anyway. I knew where I wanted to be.

"I've never known how true any of that was, but the fact two agents contacted me suggests maybe there was something in it.

"If I knew that my future lay in Norwich regardless of what happened, the same couldn't be said for everyone. Matty Svensson had a knee problem, so he was probably going to be finished anyway. Bents (David Bentley) was going back to Arsenal; you wondered if (Thomas) Helveg and Mattias Jonson maybe wanted away. And who really knew where Damien was?

It struck me he was in a difficult position, but we could have done without the uncertainty. If you have four or five players with question marks over their futures, you're in trouble.

"We didn't start the game too badly, creating a couple of chances and having an appeal for a penalty turned down.

"After that, it was a catastrophe. Every time they had a chance they scored; we were pushing more men on to try and score, and exposing ourselves in the process.

"The midfield were reduced to chasing shadows. Everything was going wrong. Safs (Youssef Safri) picked up a knock after half an hour; even before the game started, our first-team coach Steve Foley had been taken ill.

"He was a lovely guy whose bubbly character kept things ticking over; to see him whipped off to hospital wasn't exactly ideal.

"No excuses, though. We just didn't turn up – and by 'we' I mean all of us, not just the lads who wanted away. However hard we tried, it wasn't good enough.

"The fans had travelled down in their masses to create a carnival atmosphere, but we just couldn't do it for them – I felt for them so much. Given all the work we'd put in over the second half of the season to give ourselves a lifeline, it was horrible – we blew it, pure and simple. It's up there as one of the most painful games of my entire career.

"The collapse at Fulham was live on TV, which made it doubly embarrassing. What has to be remembered though, was that it was what we'd done – or failed to do – over the course of the season that got us relegated, not that one result. We should have got an away win; we should have pushed or held on for wins early in the campaign; we should have seen out the game at Selhurst Park rather than letting Palace back in.

"There's a whole list of little things that didn't happen, and all of them contributed to us going to Fulham with so many doubts in so many heads.

"I know for a fact Ads (Adam Drury), Flem (Craig Fleming), Shacks (Jason Shackell), Leon (McKenzie), Ash (Dean Ashton), Holty (Gary Holt) and Greeny (Robert Green) gave it their all that day. We've talked about it.

"I can't speak on the behalf of the others; I can't say what they were feeling as we walked onto the pitch that afternoon. Maybe some of them couldn't face the thought of dropping down a league.

"When the final whistle eventually blew at Craven Cottage, I looked at the supporters and thought how much we'd let them down. It was horrendous for them – they truly, truly believed we could do it and we hadn't repaid their faith in us. It wasn't like we'd been dead and buried for ages, like when Derby and Sunderland went down.

"We'd gone into the final game of the season with an opportunity to stay up which we hadn't managed to take. A few of the lads disappeared pretty quickly into the dressing room, but I stayed out there for a while.

"Everyone deals with such events in different ways, but I think you have to show your appreciation for the fact the supporters do spend a lot of money following their team around the country.

"When I did go in, I heard Nigel (Worthington) saying, 'Well done, lads! It's been a good season.' I couldn't agree with that. 'It's not been a good season!' I said. 'We've just been embarrassed in front of millions of people when we had a chance to stay in this league – and some haven't even turned up!'

"And that came out in front of everybody."

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/video_huckerby_reveals_the_truth_about_norwich_city_s_disaster_at_fulham_1_1085252?

WhiteJC

Group Decider

Duff & Kelly face Euro Decider

Fulham's Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly will be hoping to secure the Republic of Ireland a Play-Off place for next summer's Euro 2012 Finals in Poland and the Ukraine this evening when they take on Armenia in Dublin.

The Irish currently sit second in Group B with 18 points, two points behind group leaders Russia, who are odds on to defeat bottom of the table Andorra this evening.

Giovanni Trapattoni's team are certainly in for a tough encounter against Armenia, who lie just a point behind the Irish in third place, and boast a goal difference six better than the top two teams in Group B.

The Republic's task has not been made any easier by the absence of captain Robbie Keane who suffered an abductor muscle injury in Andorra on Friday. This evening's crucial qualifier will be shown live on Sky Sports 1 from 6.30pm.

Euro 2012 Group B:

Team  P      W      D       L      GF     GA      PTS
Russia   9       6      2        1      11      4      20
Republic of Ireland    9      5       3       1      13      6      18
Armenia     9      5       2       2      21      7      17
Slovakia     9      4       2       3       6       9      14
FYR Macedonia  9       2       1      6       6       13     7
Andorra    9       0       0       9      1       19     0

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/EuroGroupDecider.aspx?#ixzz1aT4DSgbq

WhiteJC

Why Not Go 4-4-2 For Fulham

STOKE CITY may find that the '4-4-2 formation' is the best way to attack the challenge of getting to see their side in action against Fulham at the weekend.

With only a limited number of odd tickets now available for the Barclays Premier League fixture on Saturday, hospitality packages are now the best option.

Hospitality in the Tony Waddington Suite is excellent value at just £75.00 per person each plus VAT if you take up the 4-4-2 offer which is currently available.

It's a wonderful opportunity to watch the game in style as City return to Barclays Premier League action against Europa League rivals Fulham at the weekend following the two-week international break for the final rounds of Euro 2012 qualifying matches.

For more information about the 4-4-2 - four places for the price of two - contact the hospitality team at the Britannia Stadium on 01782 592211.

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2478374,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol eyeing cut-price raid for Ajax striker

Fulham are lining up a cut-price deal for Ajax outcast Mounir El Hamdaoui - but will face stiff competition from Espanyol for his signature.

Fulham boss Martin Jol signed the creative striker during his spells in charge of Tottenham and Ajax and now wants to make it a third time by taking him to Craven Cottage.

talkSPORT revealed back in the summer that El Hamdaoui was on Jol's radar when he first took over at Fulham following the Egyptian's impressive form alongside Luis Suarez for Ajax last term.

And now reports in Spain have revealed that he is almost certain to leave Holland in January after falling out of favour with manager Frank De Boer.

Despite averaging a goal every other game in the Eredivisie last season, which was his first at Ajax, El Hamdaoui is yet to appear in their first eight league matches of the season.

Just as talkSPORT revealed back in June, the Ajax management sent El Hamdaoui a letter ahead of the new season telling him he needed to find a new club ebcause there were no plans to play him in the league this time around.

Espanyol have been paying close attention to the situation and have made a loan offer for the striker but Ajax want to sell.

It was understood the Dutch champions wanted at least £8m for the striker back in June but De Boer is ready to sell for as little as £2.5m in the New Year, alerting Jol once again.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1182/29/fulham-boss-jol-eyeing-cut-price-raid-ajax-striker?

WhiteJC

View from the river: Staying at Craven Cottage was the only option for Fulham

"The Cottage is one of the iconic sights of the league and in an ever growing world of corporate bowl stadiums built by retail parks in the middle of nowhere, it has a unique feel and experience that I feel can't be matched."

The news that Fulham are to revisit plans to bring the capacity at the Cottage to 30,000 is great news and a sign that the club is continuing its steady, long term growth.

Just as importantly it (hopefully) means we will continue to enjoy many more years at Craven Cottage and not be faced with sharing with QPR.

The Cottage is one of the iconic sights of the league and in an ever growing world of corporate bowl stadiums built by retail parks in the middle of nowhere, it has a unique feel and experience that I feel can't be matched.

There is no doubt that the club needs to continue to grow and expand its revenues on non-match days.

Whilst the plans are at a very early stage a new riverside public walk with a café would certainly help matters and a 30,000 capacity is more than respectable for a club of our size.

The reality is that the club simply wouldn't fill a 40,000 stadium currently or anytime in the near future. With this is mind the current initial plans make perfect sense.

We all remember the pain, worry and protests during our two years at Loftus Road. Combine this with the recent ground share rumours mean that it is great to see that the club remain committed to Craven Cottage.

The club plan to share their initial ideas in a series of public exhibitions on Wednesday 19 October, Thursday 20 October and Saturday 22 October and I highly recommend all Fulham fans pop along to have a look and contribute their ideas to the project.

We may never be the Manchester United of the south but I'm more than happy being Fulham.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/view_from_the_river_staying_at_craven_cottage_was_the_only_option_for_fulham_1_1085387?

WhiteJC

Hoops and dreams: I can't get away from the disastrous result at Fulham

Rangers were handed a damning scoreline at neighbours Fulham over a week ago and yet with every jibe the result still stings a tad

It has been one of those weeks really, desperately avoiding any kind of footballing chatter in the workplace and trying desperately to turn the conversations to the ineptitudes of the international side.

Rangers were handed a damning scoreline at neighbours Fulham over a week ago and yet with every jibe the result still stings a tad - despite what was one of the strangest football matches I can say I have witnessed.

This predominantly stems from the fact that the away fans were entrenched among 'neutrals' - far be it from me to be amused that Fulham should have to employ such marketing campaigns for a local derby, but it was a tad unnerving.

It was akin to a pre-season friendly, beautiful sunshine, relatively muted ground and shirts mixing in the away section - the only thing that crashed me back to reality was the alarming prices dotted around the away end.

Without question the Fulham players did all the speaking for their supporters, which is just as well, and with England once again serving up a brand of non-descript, bland football it has been an unwarranted barrage of a fortnight.

http://www.london24.com/sport/championship/qpr_2_5433/hoops_and_dreams_i_can_t_get_away_from_the_disastrous_result_at_fulham_1_1085415?

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Cottee fears a lack of goals will cost England

Tony Cottee fears a lack of fire power could cost England at next summer's European Championship finals.

Fabio Capello's men will book their place in Poland and Ukraine if they pick up at least a point against Montenegro on Friday evening.

But Cottee, who won seven caps for England in the late 80s, is worried about where the goals will come from.

England have scored 15 goals so far during qualification while Spain have hit 21, Germany 28 and Holland an incredible 34 goals.

Cottee told the Sports Breakfast: "It's one of the problem positions. If we had a young Michael Owen, then I think we would have a good chance next summer. We need someone to come in and score goals as we can't have all the pressure on Wayne Rooney."

Capello looks set to give a first international start to Bobby Zamora alongside Rooney in Montenegro as he searches for those goals, and Cottee feels the Craven Cottage star deserves his chance at the highest level.

He added: "I'm a big fan of Bobby – he's improved drastically since he moved to Fulham. His overall game is good and he holds the ball up well. Can he cut it at international level? It looks like we will find out."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/euro-2012/england/1173/18/exclusive-cottee-fears-lack-goals-will-cost-england?

WhiteJC

Jol ready for Ajax striker scrap

Martin Jol will reportedly look to fight off Espanyol by taking Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui to Fulham in January.

The Cottagers chief was heavily linked with a swoop for the Egyptian during the summer transfer window when it became clear he had little future under Frank De Boer at the Amsterdam Arena following Jol's departure at the turn of the year.

And, as Jol also managed El Hamdaoui during his stint in charge of Tottenham, it seems that he could try and take him to Craven Cottage to beef up his attacking options in the New Year.

Ajax reportedly wanted £8million for El Hamdaoui's signature in the summer, but could be ready to listen to offers of just £2.5million in January which would be much more appealing to Jol.

However, reports in Spain have revealed that Espanyol are also expressing an interest so Jol could have a fight on his hands in order to sign the player.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/jol-ready-for-ajax-striker-scrap-1307831.html?#.TpQwi3PHo98

WhiteJC

Cottage boss to renew striker interest

Martin Jol will reportedly look to fight off Espanyol by taking Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui to Fulham in January.

The Cottagers chief was heavily linked with a swoop for the Egyptian during the summer transfer window when it became clear he had little future under Frank De Boer at the Amsterdam Arena following Jol's departure at the turn of the year.

And, as Jol also managed El Hamdaoui during his stint in charge of Tottenham, it seems that he could try and take him to Craven Cottage to beef up his attacking options in the New Year.

Ajax reportedly wanted £8million for El Hamdaoui's signature in the summer, but could be ready to listen to offers of just £2.5million in January which would be much more appealing to Jol.

However, reports in Spain have revealed that Espanyol are also expressing an interest so Jol could have a fight on his hands in order to sign the player.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottage-boss-to-renew-striker-interest-1307831.html?