watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"Inverting the Pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson

Started by WhiteMulberry, October 10, 2011, 05:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgreenio

the book is good, but it has been very much surpassed in my opinion by another of his books, 'behind the curtain'. Well worth a read, follows Wilson on his travels through Eastern Europe and is pretty much a footballing history of those nations.

clicky
touch my camera through the fence

Pata

BtC was his first, breakthrough book and in ItP you can see a more mature confident writer covering staggering amount of material. Having said that, with BtC he opened up Eastern Europe to wider readership, for which he must get immense credit. He also interviews one or two chaps aI know for it. One drawback in his coverage of the former Soviet Union is that he speaks no Russian (he has admitted that he is cr*p at foreign languages).
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

jarv

Thank you for the post. The book is now on my list to get. (A short list these days, the benefit of FoF membership comes through again :54:)

HatterDon

Quote from: Pata on October 11, 2011, 11:31:12 AM
BtC was his first, breakthrough book and in ItP you can see a more mature confident writer covering staggering amount of material. Having said that, with BtC he opened up Eastern Europe to wider readership, for which he must get immense credit. He also interviews one or two chaps aI know for it. One drawback in his coverage of the former Soviet Union is that he speaks no Russian (he has admitted that he is cr*p at foreign languages).

Seems to me that this was also the fatal "drawback" of the Soviet Union, but that's another story.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

This is a much better board. If someone disagrees with you they argue their case rationally and politely, not calling you names like the other place.

Will have a look at the book on your recommendation, thanks for the suggestion.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Pata

Quote from: HatterDon on October 11, 2011, 06:08:56 PM
Quote from: Pata on October 11, 2011, 11:31:12 AM

Seems to me that this was also the fatal "drawback" of the Soviet Union, but that's another story.

No doubt this is supposed to be witty. Totally wooshed me there.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse