more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR -- Board Retreats

Started by HatterDon, October 14, 2011, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Anyone ever had one of these?

I'm on the board of a small non-profit organization. There are many hoops a non-profit has to jump through over here in order to maintain it's tax exempt status, and one of them is that we have to have [and make available for viewing] a mission statement and specific goals. We also have to establish job specific committees and find committee chairmen etc.

Anyhow, I'm off to Mustang Island off the coast of Texas for such a working retreat this weekend. We leave Friday afternoon and get back Sunday afternoon. While we're there, we'll be meeting and arguing pretty much all day Saturday, followed by a "social evening" which might turn out to be interesting depending upon the day's drama. We've got a solid agenda and we pretty much all know each other, but there's still the great unknown to contemplate. Some folk just don't know how to play nice with others.

The BIG downside is that I probably won't get to see the Stoke match until Monday sometime, so no View From South Texas. The upside is that we're on some pretty amazing beachfront and the weather is supposed to be choice. I'm taking my guitar as an anti-insanity device.

When corporate America sued me for divorce a few years back, I thought I was through with boards and long-range planning and decision making. Any advice from FofFers on how to get through the weekend and still maintain my good relationship with the rest of the board?

FatFreddy'sCat: Would you like to be keynote speaker?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Tear them all a new arsehole and jump on a plane to St Lucia for a nice bit of R&R...

http://www.thebodyholiday.com/

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Scrumpy

Enjoy it HatterDon.

In the present economic climate, I would spend at least half a morning brain-storming 'How can we justify a beach front shin-dig to our trustees/shareholders just to come up with a mission statement'.

Just playing devil's advocate mate, but you know someone is going to raise this don't you?!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Mitch

'Any advice from FofFers on how to get through the weekend and still maintain my good relationship with the rest of the board?'

Beer, hookers and hard drugs.

Jimbobob

"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

jarv

Mr. Hatter, out of my league. I find it hard enough running my llc, with just ME as the only employee. I drew up an expansion plan which could create a small number of jobs but the expense of it all (particularly the massachusetts state tax) make it almost impossible. I could not handle the stress. Great credit to you putting in the effort.

By the way, to create jobs, how about tax exempt status for 3 years? That would do it for me. Do you think the US government/ state authorities would go for it?

Jimbobob

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 14, 2011, 04:59:19 PM
Enjoy it HatterDon.

In the present economic climate, I would spend at least half a morning brain-storming 'How can we justify a beach front shin-dig to our trustees/shareholders just to come up with a mission statement'.

Just playing devil's advocate mate, but you know someone is going to raise this don't you?!

Don't let the term "non-profit" fool you.
Not speaking of Hattter Don's Non-Profit at all but many make money hand over fist:
CMC-Hospital System in Charlotte, NC - they make Billion's of $$$$$$ and million's in profits but they are "non-profit".............
And many are terribly corrupt:
The United Way in Charlotte, NC. Rotten to the core.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

HatterDon

All good comments and advice, gents -- well, I'm not so sure what Mr. Jimbobob is on about in his second post, but that's nothing new.

Specific replies:

Mr. Scrumpy: You can't do these things in the town where the thing is located, since everyone will be constantly slipping out to take care of necessary business. You HAVE to go out of town. We got a great rate on an out-of-season resort property. We're also providing our own transportation, dinners out, and booze. Good points, though.

Messers Mich and EQ: By the time Sunday morning's rolled around, I'll have seriously considered both your suggestions.

Enjoy the weekend yourselves, fellas. and COYW

Burt

I have facilitated a few vision/mission/strategic planning/action planning type sessions in my time.

Rules:
1. Make sure what you see in the inside is how others peceive you from the outside, else it is all a bit of a pile.
2. Be aspirational, but not unrealistically so.
3. Don't get hung up on wordsmithing the exact detail. Broad brush consensus at first is fine.
4. Expect roadblocks along the way. These things never go soothly.
5. Beer, hookers and hard drugs is all very well but make sure neither of the three leave you with a longer term medical issue.

Good luck and enjoy  :dft011:

RidgeRider

Hatter, I am on two non-profit boards and lead a cycling club. Most important advice is to be nice, listen, make people feel heard, and don't discuss politics. Listening being the most important of those three.

HatterDon

Quote from: Burt on October 14, 2011, 06:14:30 PM
I have facilitated a few vision/mission/strategic planning/action planning type sessions in my time.

Rules:
1. Make sure what you see in the inside is how others peceive you from the outside, else it is all a bit of a pile.
2. Be aspirational, but not unrealistically so.
3. Don't get hung up on wordsmithing the exact detail. Broad brush consensus at first is fine.
4. Expect roadblocks along the way. These things never go soothly.
5. Beer, hookers and hard drugs is all very well but make sure neither of the three leave you with a longer term medical issue.

Good luck and enjoy  :dft011:

I'm back and it turned out well. I found an ally at the meeting in terms of ensuring that we speak plainly, stay on task, and ensure that everyone is heard. Progress was certainly made. Now if we can only keep that level of focus and committment here in our home town.

A couple of drawbacks:

1. One board member was on the highway behind a truck filled with furniture, when the load came loose. The good news was that the piece of furniture that crashed into her car was wood. The bad news was that she had to turn around and drive home. The good news is that she had a Texas State Trooper follow her all the way back.

2. I got home to discover a phone message from my doctor saying that a second reading of my chest x-ray indicated that the bug I picked up in England was evidently pneumonia, and that I still had a touch of it. I'll be FINALLY picking up antibiotics tomorrow morning. AND

3. Speaking of bugs, my DVR recorded absolutely NOTHING Friday, Saturday, or Sunday morning. So -- NO FRICKIN' FITBA all weekend, including the Fulham match.  :014:

It's good to be back.

Oh and,

Quotedon't discuss politics

Jack, you're the only person who thinks that I discuss politics all the time. You really are wrong about that.

Lighthouse

According to the Worlds Finances we are all non profit surely? Off to my sea front mansion to brain storm with Olga and Clarice. Always on a retainer.

Sorry about the pneumonia. Good thing you didn't expect an x ray over in the UK. You would still be sitting in a cold waiting room.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope