more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (13/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 13, 2011, 07:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FULHAM KEEN ON YOUNG SPITFIRE
Barclays Premier League Fulham have been handed 'first refusal' over Blue Square Bet South club Eastleigh`s striker Sam Wilson.

The 17-year-old recently enjoyed a trial period with the Cottagers, suitably impressing the club hierarchy with a brace for their academy side in a 4-1 win over Portsmouth.

And whilst Martin Jol's side haven't instantly snapped-up the teenager, the Spitfires have come to an agreement with Fulham that they will not tout the player to other clubs until after the New Year.

"Fulham were very, very impressed with Sam and they will continue to monitor his progress in the coming months," Eastleigh`s director of football Dave Malone confirmed.

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/fulham-keen-on-young-spitfire-7372/?

WhiteJC

Foundation Thanks

Fulham Football Club Foundation would like to say a big thank you to AWD Chase De Vere for sponsoring the half- time shootout between the Fulham Badgers and the QPR Tiger Cubs Down's syndrome teams at the beginning of October. The shootout, which took place during Fulham's emphatic derby day win, was also a celebration of the partnership between Fulham FC Foundation and the QPR in the Community Trust.

The Fulham Badgers were established as the first Down's Syndrome football team in June 2006 as a pilot project initiated between the Down's Syndrome Association and the Fulham FC Foundation.

Since that time, the Fulham Badgers have gone from strength to strength being involved in a growing number of football tournaments and events over the past couple of years; most notability an exchange trip with the Hong Kong Dragons, in May 2010, who first visited the Fulham Badgers in May 2009. The first national Down's Syndrome football festival was also hosted at Fulham FC's training ground in Motspur Park.

As a pioneer in the DSActive programme, Fulham FC Foundation has been instrumental in assisting its development through mentoring other football clubs. The first ever joint training session between two DSActive teams was held in November 2008 between the Badgers and the QPR Tiger Cubs. This was followed on by DSActive Festival for London-based teams (Fulham Badgers, QPR Tiger Cubs, West Ham DS Team and Charlton Upbeats) in March 2010.

Fulham FC Foundation and QPR Community Sports Trust will be working closely in the future to provide activities that are of benefit to the local community in Hammersmith and Fulham just like the Down's Syndrome project.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/FoundationNews.aspx?

WhiteJC

Kelly eyes Fulham role

STEPHEN Kelly is hell-bent on nailing down the Fulham right-back berth at Stoke on Saturday – despite competition from three of his team-mates.

The Irishman is fighting it out with Zdenek Grygera, Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes for the spot.

But the 28-year-old, who spent a brief spell on loan at the Britannia earlier in his career, reckons he has the edge.

He said: "There's an opportunity at right-back and I've proven I'm in contention with my last couple of performances.

"Over the last month or so I've really stepped up a gear. I've proven to the manager I'm capable of playing in the big games, like against Chelsea and Manchester City.

"I offer something a bit different to the others. My attributes are strong; I'm probably a bit more athletic and offer an attacking option as well.

"There's a few of us fighting for the position and it's difficult, but you can only go on your last performance.

"Whenever I've played recently I felt I've done really well and hope I can continue that rich vein of form. I want to nail down the spot."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/10/13/kelly-eyes-fulham-role-64767-29589511/?

WhiteJC

Campbell: 'Blackburn game is QPR's chance to put right Fulham result'

QPR striker DJ Campbell says his side is determined to put their west London derby thrashing against Fulham behind them as they prepare to face Blackburn this weekend.

The forward knows how important this fixture is, with Chelsea and Tottenham next up for Neil Warnock's men.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/sports-breakfast/blog/2011-10-13/campbell-blackburn-game-qprs-chance-put-right-fulham-result?

WhiteJC

Premier League preview: Stoke v Fulham

Fulham are aiming for five consecutive clean sheets in all competitions when they travel to Stoke City on Saturday.

Martin Jol's men earned their first Premier League win of the season in their 6-0 thrashing of promoted Queens Park Rangers - but it was their fourth shutout with Australian shot-stopper Mark Schwarzer in goal.

Statistically, Stoke are the least attacking side in the Premier League, firing just 17 shots on target in seven games this season, meaning Schwarzer may have few worries at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke's attacking prowess has been boosted by the acquisition of tall striker Peter Crouch, who has fired home two goals in his past three matches.

Crouch has a scoring history against the Cottagers too, with three goals in his past five starts against the Londoners, suggesting the former Liverpool and Tottenham man may be the one to botch Fulham's clean streak.

A man who will be hoping Fulham preserve their run of no goals conceded is right-back Stephen Kelly, who believes he can hold his spot in the XI despite Chris Baird, Aaron Hughes and Zdenek Grygera all capable of filling the role.

"There's an opportunity at right-back and I've proven I'm in contention with my last couple of performances," the 28-year-old Irishman said.

"Over the last month or so I've really stepped up a gear. I've proven to the manager I'm capable of playing in the big games, like against Chelsea and Manchester City."

"I offer something a bit different to the others. My attributes are strong; I'm probably a bit more athletic and offer an attacking option as well."

"There's a few of us fighting for the position and it's difficult, but you can only go on your last performance."

In selection news, Stoke winger Matthew Etherington is hopeful of fronting up for the Potters after having a sugar injection in his back to help him recover from a hamstring complaint.

Striker Kenwyne Jones should return from a hamstring injury to partner Crouch up front.

Fulham's Hughes is unlikely to be fit after the Northern Ireland international missed the chance to their final Euro 2012 qualifier in midweek due to a groin injury.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/October/13/premier-league-preview-stoke-v-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Wisła out to set record straight for Fulham visit

Fulham FC will be eager to secure their second away victory in Group K against a Wisła Kraków side who have lost their opening two matches and never beaten an English side.

Andrew Johnson has scored all of Fulham's goals in Group K
©Getty Images

Wisła Kraków host Fulham FC looking for their first UEFA Europa League Group K points and a maiden victory against an English side.

Previous meetings
• The sides are meeting for the first time and this is also Fulham's first tie against a Polish club.

• Wisła's three games against English outfits – two against Tottenham Hotspur FC and one against Blackburn Rovers FC – have ended W0 D1 L2 (W0 D1 L1 at home).

Match background
• Wisła have lost only two of their last ten European home games – a 3-1 defeat by Odense BK on matchday one and a surprise 1-0 reverse against FK Qarabağ of Azerbaijan in last season's UEFA Europa League third qualifying round. That run includes seven victories.

• Fulham have already played ten European games this season, since entering the first qualifying round through the UEFA Respect Fair Play system. They have won six of those, drawing three and losing one.

• The game against Wisła will be Fulham's 20th competitive game this season, since beginning their campaign with a 3-0 win against NSÍ Runavík on 30 June.

• The Cottagers are the only side to have made it all the way from the first qualifying round to the group stage this season.

Team facts
• David Biton's strike in matchday two's 4-1 loss at FC Twente was Wisła's 100th goal in 58 UEFA Cup and UEFA Europa League games – their first was scored by Michal Wrobel during a 2-2 draw at Celtic FC on 15 September 1976.

• Wisła's Dutch defender Kew Jaliens and Fulham's Belgian attacking midfielder Moussa Dembélé were team-mates at AZ Alkmaar from 2006 to 2010. They won the Dutch title together in 2008/09.

• Wisła's Dutch defender Michael Lamey is on loan from English side Leicester City FC. He made his professional debut under Fulham coach Martin Jol at RKC Waalwijk in the 2001/02 season.

• Fulham striker Andrew Johnson was once considered a potential Poland player by virtue of a Polish grandfather. However, in February 2005 then England Sven-Göran Eriksson handed Johnson his debut in a friendly against the Netherlands when in came on for Wayne Rooney as a second-half substitute.

• Wisła boss Robert Maaskant was a midfielder, who earned acclaim coaching RBC Roosendaal, Willem II and NAC Breda before winning the title with Wisła in 2010/11, his first season in Poland.

• A former midfielder, capped three times by the Netherlands, Fulham boss Jol played in Germany (FC Bayern München) and England (West Bromwich Albion FC and Coventry City FC) as well as his home country (ADO Den Haag and FC Twente), and has coached in all three nations too with Tottenham Hotspur, Hamburger SV and AFC Ajax.

• Jol's AFC Ajax beat Maaskant's NAC Breda side 6-0 in Amsterdam in a 13 September 2009 Eredivisie game. The rematch in Breda on 17 January 2010 ended 1-1.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000272/match=2007345/prematch/background/index.html?rss=1669450+Wisła+out+to+set+record+straight+for+Fulham+visit

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers rival Fulham for Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui

According to reports Blackburn Rovers are interested in Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui.

It is understood that Rovers boss Steve Kean is eyeing the Moroccan.

However, the Daily Mail claims Fulham manager Martin Jol is currently weighing up a move for El Hamdaoui.

Jol has signed the 27-year-old twice before and is keen on a third reunion.

Kean is expected to make another move after missing out in the summer.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/1210630-blackburn-rovers-rival-fulham-for-ajax-striker-mounir-el-hamdaoui.html?

WhiteJC

Hughes returns at Stoke
by DAN on OCTOBER 13, 2011

Aaron Hughes is fit again after his groin injury and could return to the Fulham side in Saturday's game at Stoke City.

The Northern Ireland centre back missed what could have been his final two caps for his country and has not played for Fulham since going off after 20 minutes of the 1-1 draw against Blackburn on September 11. Hughes' chances of making an immediate return to the starting line-up have been increased by the news that Philippe Senderos will miss the game at the Britannia Stadium after picking up a thigh strain on international duty.

Costa Rican winger Bryan Ruiz won't feature either – sidelined by a knee complaint – and young prospect Kerim Frei is out with an ankle problem.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/hughes-returns-at-stoke/?

WhiteJC

Kelly outlines his case
Cottagers stopper keen to cement place

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly believes he has a decent chance of winning the club's right-back role having impressed of late.

Kelly is vying with the likes of Zdenek Grygera, Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes for a starting spot in Martin Jol's line-up.

The Republic of Ireland international was happy with his displays against Manchester City and Chelsea in the Premier League and Carling Cup respectively.

Kelly believes he brings something different to the table than his rivals for the role and is hoping to continue his good form if he is given a run by Jol.

Contention

"There's an opportunity at right-back and I've proven I'm in contention with my last couple of performances," he told the Fulham Chronicle.

"Over the last month or so I've really stepped up a gear. I've proven to the manager I'm capable of playing in the big games, like against Chelsea and Manchester City.

"I offer something a bit different to the others. My attributes are strong; I'm probably a bit more athletic and offer an attacking option as well.

"There's a few of us fighting for the position and it's difficult, but you can only go on your last performance.

"Whenever I've played recently I felt I've done really well and hope I can continue that rich vein of form. I want to nail down the spot."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7238708,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham rival Saints for Sweden international

Fulham and Southampton are leading the chase for Swedish right back Mikael Lustig - who could leave Rosenborg in January.

The 24-year-old was watched by scouts from both clubs in Tuesday night's international between Sweden and Holland in Stockholm, which the home side won 3-2 to clinch their place at Euro 2012.

Reports in Sweden claim Lustig, who has been at Rosenborg since 2008, will leave the Norwegian club at the end of his contract in 2011 and could be available for for a free transfer.

Spanish clubs Espanyol and Racing Santander have also been linked to him in the past, but Fulham's need for a right-back has been pressing this season.

Zdenek Grygera, 31, has done well since being switched to right back recently but is only on a one-year deal and boss Martin Jol may view Lustig as a long-term solution.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/fulham-rival-saints-for-sweden-international-1309316.html?

WhiteJC

Rovers, Fulham, Espanyol in for ace

Blackburn and Fulham are interested in Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui, who has fallen out of favour in Amsterdam this season.
Rovers boss Steve Kean is eyeing the Moroccan forward, who scored 13 goals for Ajax last season - forming a terrific partnership with Luis Saurez until his New Year departure to Liverpool.

However, he has fallen out of favour with Ajax boss Frank de Boer and is yet to make an appearance for the Eredivisie champions this season.

Espanyol were linked with a move for the ex-Tottenham striker last week after de Boer revealed he stood by his decision to leave El Hamdaoui out, despite an injury to another key striker at the club.

Fulham manager Martin Jol is also keen on El Hamdaoui, having signed the 27-year-old twice before - at Spurs and Ajax.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/blackburn-rovers/rovers-fulham-espanyol-in-for-ace-1309321.html?#.Tpb6JXPHo98

WhiteJC

Team News

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes is fit and available for selection after recovering from injury ahead of Saturday's game against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium (KO 3pm).

Manager Martin Jol revealed the latest team news during Thursday afternoon's pre-match press and announced that Dickson Etuhu has returned to training following the birth of his second son this week.   

"Aaron Hughes is fit and available and Dickson started training again today after his wife gave birth to a son which is nice," said Jol.

"Most of the players are fit for this weekend apart from Philippe Senderos, Kerim Frei and Bryan Ruiz.

"Philippe has an injury to his left thigh which he injured before the international break. Philippe will be out until at least next week.

"Kerim has a bruised left ankle after playing two international games whilst Bryan got a knock on his knee in our last game against QPR which is still painful. He needs another seven or eight days."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/TeamNewsStoke.aspx?#ixzz1afp8JaTA

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes fit to face Stoke City

Northern Irishman set to return after a knee injury

Aaron Hughes has recovered from a knee injury and is available for selection for this Saturday's match against Stoke at the Britannia.

The defender had not played since the 1-1 draw with Blackburn in early September but is likely to be named in the stating XI for what is sure to be a tough match in the north west.

"Aaron Hughes is fit and available and Dickson started training again today after his wife gave birth to a son which is nice," said Jol.

"Most of the players are fit for this weekend apart from Philippe Senderos, Kerim Frei and Bryan Ruiz.

"Philippe has an injury to his left thigh which he injured before the international break. Philippe will be out until at least next week.

"Kerim has a bruised left ankle after playing two international games whilst Bryan got a knock on his knee in our last game against QPR which is still painful. He needs another seven or eight days."

http://www.london24.com/sport/league-1/charlton-athletic/fulham_defender_aaron_hughes_fit_to_face_stoke_city_1_1089862?

WhiteJC

JOL: QPR WIN HAS LIFTED TEAM

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes the resounding defeat of QPR can be the turning point in their campaign.

Andrew Johnson's hat-trick spurred the Cottagers to their first Barclays Premier League victory of the season before the international break.

Danny Murphy's penalty along with efforts from Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora complemented Johnson's treble in a 6-0 win over their near neighbours.

Jol admitted he was shocked by the nature of Fulham's victory but believes it bodes well for the future.

"I was surprised by the margin of the win, especially against QPR," he said.

"They had two away wins so they are good away from home, with [Shaun] Wright-Phillips up front and Adel Taarabt, who is a great talent.

"I saw them live the week before against Aston Villa and they looked solid.

"That said, everything came together for us - support play, up front, midfield, holding them up and stretching them.

"We gave them a lot of problems and that is what we did, for example, against West Brom the week before and Twente in the Europa League but we couldn't score.

"It was good to see that Andy Johnson scored a couple of goals because that is what you need.

"Playing well is important but you need the results as well. We didn't have the defeats - we had four or five draws in a sequence - but it is not enough to climb the table.

"Winning always helps mentally and [boosts] the offence as well."

While Jol's side head to Stoke on Saturday on the back of a thumping win, there has been a two-week break due to international matches.

The Dutchman admits the break did not come at the ideal time for the west Londoners, but does not think it will take away too much momentum.

"If you get a game like that and win 6-0, it is probably the best feeling you can have," he said.

"Having a little break left us with four or five players, which was not a lot.

"With the other players, the only worry you have got is that they might get injured or even suffer a defeat, which won't help.

"Obviously a few players had defeats and a few had good results so it was okay, but for us there is not a lot of difference.

"Of course you would like to get together the next day and talk about it, but a win is a win. We don't have to talk too much."

Fulham will be boosted by the return of defender Aaron Hughes from a groin injury for the trip to the Britannia Stadium, although Jol admits several first-team players will miss out.

"Not everybody is fit and healthy but most of them are," he said.

"We have got a little problem with Philippe Senderos, who has an injury on his left thigh and will be out for a week.

"Dickson [Etuhu] started training on Thursday but that is for another reason [aside from injury] as his wife gave birth to a son.

"Kerim Frei had a knock on his ankle so he won't be included and Bryan Ruiz had a knock against his knee in the last game so won't be included in the squad. He probably needs another seven or eight days."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/13/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

RIISE EYEING LONGER STAY

Bjorn Helge Riise would be happy to extend his loan spell at Portsmouth.

The Fulham midfielder has played two matches for Pompey since he moved to Fratton Park last month on a temporary deal which will expire in early November.

He told the club's official website: "Hopefully I can play my part while I'm here

"I want to do as well as possible during my time at Pompey and help the club climb the table.

"I want to play as many games as I can while I'm here. The only way I'm going to do that is by offering something on the pitch.

"If I can do that then hopefully I can stay at Pompey for longer, because I'm enjoying my time here."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/11/10/10/manual_125308.html