https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (20/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 20, 2011, 07:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol heaps praise on Maaskant
Cottagers boss looking forward to meeting with fellow Dutch coach

Fulham boss Martin Jol is relishing facing fellow Dutchman Robert Maaskant when his side take on Wisla Krakow in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night.

The pair having come across one another before during their time coaching in the Eredivisie, which included a 6-0 win for Jol's Ajaxside against Maaskant's NAC Breda during the 2009/10 season.

The most recent clash between the duo ended 1-1 in January 2010, and Jol was quick to praise his counterpart ahead of this evening's match.

Challenge

"I think Wisla is a good challenge for him," Jol said. "It is good for his experience because he is still a young coach [42], although he started when he was 26.

"He is one of the youngest coaches and a big prospect.

"He was champion last year so he is a very good manager.

"He was very young when he started coaching, probably the youngest ever in Dutch football.

"Even then he was pretty successful. They called him the crown prince of Dutch football.

"He is a very intelligent and talented guy."

Maaskant was pleased to see Jol at Wednesday night's pre-match press conference, but will be hoping to outsmart his countryman tonight.

Changes

"Of course, we know Fulham are a very good side," said Maaskant, whose side have lost their first two Group K matches.

"It has not been very easy to analyse Fulham because they have been changing the line-up many times over the last eight games.

"There are always five players that start but other than that we don't know - for example with [Mousa] Dembele because he had a little injury against Stoke.

"So we are not sure how they are going to play but we have to have our own plan."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7252208,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol praises the 'crown prince of Dutch football'

Whites manager keen to take on his fellow Dutchman

Martin Jol can't wait for Fulham's Europa League clash at Wisla Krakow and the opportunity to pit his wits against fellow Dutchman Robert Maaskant.

His countryman was in charge of NAC Breda while Jol managed Ajax in 2009 where the Whites boss saw the Amsterdam side side romp to a 6-0 triumph.

"I think Wisla is a good challenge for him," Jol said.

"It is good for his experience because he is still a young coach, although he started when he was 26. He is one of the youngest coaches and a big prospect.

"He was champion last year so he is a very good manager.Even then he was pretty successful. They called him the crown prince of Dutch football.

Fulham are currently second in Group K with four points from two matches, while tonight's opponents prop up the table and have yet to pick up a point.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_jol_praises_the_crown_prince_of_dutch_football_1_1103594?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol looks to outsmart fellow Dutchman

Martin Jol is looking forward to facing fellow Dutchman Robert Maaskant when Fulham go head to head with Wisla Krakow in the Europa League tonight.

The pair having come across one another before during their time coaching in the Eredivisie, which included a 6-0 win for Jol's Ajax side against Maaskant's NAC Breda during the 2009/10 season.

The most recent clash between the duo ended 1-1 in January 2010, and Jol was quick to praise his counterpart ahead of this evening's match.

"It is good for his experience because he is still a young coach [42], although he started when he was 26. He is one of the youngest coaches and a big prospect.

"He was champion last year so he is a very good manager. He was very young when he started coaching, probably the youngest ever in Dutch football. Even then he was pretty successful. They called him the crown prince of Dutch football.

Maaskant was pleased to see Jol at last night's pre-match press conference, but will be hoping to outsmart his countryman tonight.

"Of course, we know Fulham are a very good side," said Maaskant, whose side have lost their first two Group K matches.

"It has not been very easy to analyse Fulham because they have been changing the line-up many times over the last eight games. There are always five players that start but other than that we don't know - for example with [Mousa] Dembele because he had a little injury against Stoke.

"So we are not sure how they are going to play but we have to have our own plan. We are not going to change that much because it is not that possible to change a whole system or play totally different.

"Of course we are aware that the result [tonight] is going to be very important for the rest of the games. We hope we are smart enough to get a result against maybe a stronger team."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24000300-martin-jol-looks-to-outsmart-fellow-dutchman.do?

WhiteJC

Wisla boss admits Fulham are the 'stronger team'

Robert Maaskant is hopeful his side can use their intelligence to beat the Whites

Wisla Krakow boss Robert Maaskant acknowledges that Fulham have perhaps the better side, but is hopeful his team's intelligence will lead to victory in tonight's Europa League clash.

The Poles are currently bottom of Group K after losing their first two matches and the Dutchman is under no illusions about the importance of the match against the Whites.

"Of course we are aware that the result tnight is going to be very important for the rest of the games," he said.

"We hope we are smart enough to get a result against maybe a stronger team."

"Of course, we know Fulham are a very good side."

Jol has often used the competition as an opportunity to play some of his fringe players, a tactic which has confused Maaskant.

"There are always five players that start but other than that we don't know - for example with Mousa Dembele because he had a little injury against Stoke," he said.

"So we are not sure how they are going to play but we have to have our own plan.

"We are not going to change that much because it is not that possible to change a whole system or play totally different."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/wisla_boss_admits_fulham_are_the_stronger_team_1_1103604?

WhiteJC

Today's Press Kit

Is here.

As the Guildford-based band Bennett sang in the 90s, Someone Always Gets there First.

In this case it was Spurs, who won their tie 3-2 on aggregate. Also Blackburn Rovers in 2006, a 2-1 win for Rovers in Poland.

Wisla are European regulars, too.  Which might count for something.  Also, David Biton seems to be the man to watch – regular goalscoring form this year.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/todays-press-kit/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol confident despite losing key stars

FULHAM manager Martin Jol is upbeat about his side's chances against Wisla Krakow tonight despite being without a handful of key players for the Europa League tie.

The Cottagers face the Polish champions without some key players, including Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora.

The latter pair have been rested ahead of Sunday's Premier League match against Everton, while skipper Murphy misses out with a knee injury.

Despite the big-name absentees, Jol remains confident of victory at the Stadion Miejski and backed his squad players to rise to the occasion.

"Danny took a knock to his knee, which was pretty painful but hopefully he will be fit for selection on Sunday," the Dutchman said.

"I spoke to the medical staff and we decided not to take a risk.

"Dempsey was left in London and Bobby was the same as I want him for Sunday rather than risking him because we have got Andrew Johnson.

"Mousa Dembele is with us even though he had a little problem with his ankle and we have Orlando Sa, who can also play in attack.

"We took a few younger players instead rather than risking them like Kerim Frei, Alex Smith and Marcel Gecov.

"That said, I do not have any concerns before the match.

"We have played with different teams before and have 22 good players, as well as a few younger players.

"Overall, we still have a very strong team."

Fulham remain undefeated in Group K but progression for Wisla already looks unlikely, having lost their opening two matches and conceded seven goals in the process.

Wisla's defeats have seen fans and pundits alike turn on a supposedly slow and disorganised defence, which Jol believes makes this the kind of game in which a player of Johnson's pace could flourish.

"If he starts I think he can do well," he said.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/amateur-football/2011/10/20/fulham-boss-jol-confident-despite-losing-key-stars-100252-29627657/?#ixzz1bJ3LknUn

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami hoping to receive first-team opportunities in the Europa League
Swiss youngster hoping to get off the mark in Europe in order to stake a claim for a more regular place in Martin Jol's side and hopes for a positive result against Wisla Krakow

Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami hopes to be given the chance to make an impression on Martin Jol by being handed a Europa League start against Polish side Wisla Krakow.

The combined pressures placed on the Cottagers' squad by the Premier League and European and cup competitions could see the 19-year old Swiss star given a first team opportunity, one he hopes might kick-start his Craven Cottage career.

"These games maybe give me more chances to play and gives me a chance to get a goal which will help me get my Fulham career going," Kasami told The Times.

Fulham take on Wisla in Poland after winning their last Europa League match away from home against OB Odense, and Kasami acknowledged the potential importance of a strong away record in the group stage.

The former Palermo man added that more ruthlessness in attack was required after their 2-0 defeat against Stoke City in the Premier League at the weekend.

"Normally, home form is probably what will decide if we progress, but maybe this time we have a chance to go on by doing well away," he said.
"We can get into a really strong position after these two away games if we play our normal game and we can show more confidence in front of goal."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2915/europa-league/2011/10/20/2719693/fulham-midfielder-pajtim-kasami-hoping-to-receive-first-team?

WhiteJC

Kasami desperate to break duck
Teenager focused on ending barren run against Wisla Krakow

Midfielder Pajtim Kasami is hoping to kick-start his Fulham career by scoring his first goal for the club in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night.

The 19-year-old has failed to find the net in 10 appearances since arriving at Craven Cottage from Swiss club Grasshopper for a reported £3.5million in the summer.

Kasami is desperate to break that barren streak when Fulhamtravel to Wisla Krakow.
"These games maybe give me more chances to play and a chance to get a goal which will help me get my Fulham career going," he told the Daily Mirror.

"I hope that once I score, it will get better for me and help me reach my right level.

"The Premier League is very important, but for me the Europa League is equally so because you always get more experience playing in Europe and it's always exciting to play."

Momentum

Kasami hopes the Cottagers can maintain their momentum away from home after beating Odense in Denmark last time out.

"Normally, home form will probably decide if we progress," he added. "But maybe this time we have a chance to go on by doing well away.

"We can get into a really strong position after these two away games."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7252224,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol risks row leaving Zamora in London

Fulham boss Martin Jol has risked a blow-up with Bobby Zamora after leaving him behind for their Europa League clash at Wisla Krakow.

The England ace clashed with Jol two weeks ago when he was left out of the last Europa League match in Denmark against Odense amid claims of illness.

Instead of making the trip to Krakow, Zamora is back in London along with midfielder Clint Dempsey, even though Fulham have been rocked by an injury to skipper Danny Murphy.

Jol said: "It is a good attitude if they want to play in all the games but I don't think there is any issue.

"Danny Murphy is injured, so he stayed in London and we decided to rest Zamora and Dempsey.

"Murphy picked up a knee injury, it was very painful and we decided not to take a risk."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-jol-risks-row-leaving-zamora-london-1993901?utm_source=main_feed

WhiteJC

Martin Jol keen to praise opposition manager

Martin Jol is looking forward to facing fellow Dutchman Robert Maaskant when Fulham go head to head with Wisla Krakow in the Europa League tonight.

The pair having come across one another before during their time coaching in the Eredivisie, which included a 6-0 win for Jol's Ajax side against Maaskant's NAC Breda during the 2009/10 season.

"It is good for his experience because he is still a young coach [42], although he started when he was 26.

"He is one of the youngest coaches and a big prospect.

"He was champion last year so he is a very good manager.

"He was very young when he started coaching, probably the youngest ever in Dutch football.

"Even then he was pretty successful. They called him the crown prince of Dutch football.

Maaskant was pleased to see Jol at last night's pre-match press conference, but will be hoping to outsmart his countryman tonight.

"It has not been very easy to analyse Fulham because they have been changing the line-up many times over the last eight games.

"There are always five players that start but other than that we don't know - for example with [Mousa] Dembele because he had a little injury against Stoke.

"So we are not sure how they are going to play but we have to have our own plan.

"We are not going to change that much because it is not that possible to change a whole system or play totally different.

"Of course we are aware that the result [tonight] is going to be very important for the rest of the games.

"We hope we are smart enough to get a result against maybe a stronger team."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/martin-jol-keen-to-praise-opposition-manager-2373324.html?

WhiteJC

Jol ready for 'Crown Prince' test

Fulham boss Martin Jol is looking forward to facing fellow Dutchman Robert Maaskant's Wisla Krakow side in the Europa League.
The pair having come across one another before during their time coaching in the Eredivisie, which included a 6-0 win for Jol's Ajax side against Maaskant's NAC Breda during the 2009/10 season, while the most recent clash between the duo ended 1-1 in January 2010.

"I think Wisla is a good challenge for him," Jol said. "It is good for his experience because he is still a young coach [42], although he started when he was 26.

"He is one of the youngest coaches and a big prospect. He was champion last year so he is a very good manager. He was very young when he started coaching, probably the youngest ever in Dutch football.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/jol-ready-for-crown-prince-test-1315168.html?#.Tp_y5mDHo98

WhiteJC

Sharpy's Scouting Report: Fulham

Everton travel to Craven Cottage on Sunday looking to secure a key Premier League win against Martin Jol's Fulham.

The two clubs have both picked up seven points so far this season, although the Blues have played a game less.

As ever Blues legend Graeme Sharp has cast his eye over Fulham in Sharpy's Scouting Report and has identified Cottagers forward Bobby Zamora as the key man.

He said: "If Bobby Zamora is firing and up for it then he is a real handful.

"As a front player he has everything, he's got good control he's good in the air and he can hold the ball up and bring other players in to play

"If he plays he will be one of Fulham's main threats."

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2011/10/19/sharpy-s-scouting-report-fulham?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=Sharpy%27s+Scouting+Report%3A+Fulham

WhiteJC

Kasami targets Europa goals

Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami hopes to break his goal-scoring deadlock against Wisla Krakow in the Europa League on Thursday.

The 19-year-old has not scored since arriving from Swiss club Grasshopper in the summer, but is desperate to find the net when the Cottagers visit the Polish champions.

Kasami told the Daily Mirror: "These games maybe give me more chances to play and a chance to get a goal which will help me get my Fulham career going.

"I hope that once I score, it will get better for me and help me reach my right level.

"The Premier League is very important, but for me the Europa League is equally so because you always get more experience playing in Europe and it's always exciting to play."

The Switzerland U21 international added: "Normally, home form will probably decide if we progress. But maybe this time we have a chance to go on by doing well away.

"We can get into a really strong position after these two away games."

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14287_7252624,00.html?

WhiteJC

Zamora rested as Jol puts survival first

Martin Jol confirmed his priority lies in Premier League survival rather than achieving European glory by revealing why he had left out Bobby Zamora from tonight's Europa League group game at Wisla Krakow in Poland.

Fulham's position in Group K - they are second behind FC Twente following a win and a draw - is a lot more healthy than their position in the Premier League, where defeat at home against Everton on Sunday could see Jol's players plunge into the relegation zone.

Risking the wrath of Zamora, who was reported to have been unhappy at being left out of the Europa squad that travelled to Odense in Denmark last month, Jol said: "Bobby is our main striker, our target man and a very important player. We didn't want to risk him because we want him fit for the Everton game.

"We've got Andrew Johnson, Mousa Dembele and Orlando Sa with us and they've done well this season. Andrew has already scored six goals in Europe and got a hat-trick against QPR, so he's on fire."

Clint Dempsey has also been rested, while skipper Danny Murphy is out with a knee injury sustained in the 2-0 defeat at Stoke last weekend.

But their absence, combined with that of Zamora, really ought not to be noticed against Krakow, who lie bottom of the group after two defeats from their two games and who have yet to record a win over an English side in three previous meetings with Tottenham [twice] and Blackburn Rovers.

Despite Wisla's poor form in Europe, Fulham's Dickson Etuhu is taking nothing for granted. He said: "I've heard a lot about Wisla and how tough it is to play at their stadium. The atmosphere is meant to be amazing."

Live on ITV4, 6pm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24000459-zamora-rested-as-jol-puts-survival-first.do?

WhiteJC

Academy Report: Palace 2 Fulham 0

The academy came into the game unbeaten in their seven previous outings so confidence was high against a strong Fulham side sitting top of table. Palace broke the deadlock early on with Reise Allassani firing home from the corner of the box. The young striker who has just received an England under 16 call-up struck a superb half volley in to the top corner giving the keeper little chance.

The young Eagles continued to put pressure on Fulham's defence and were rewarded shortly after when Ghassimu Sow was brought down in the area. The penalty was awarded after some great work and a smart through ball from Vences Bola however the young strike was unable to put the spot kick away. Palace then absorbed some Fulham pressure but managed to go in at half team leading 1-0.

Gary Issott's side did not let the disappointment of a missed penalty phase them though and in the second half some brilliant skill from Kyle de Silva to win a corner resulted in Connor Dymond rising highest to head home. The second goal effectively killed the game off and Palace claimed an impressive victory with a strong performance which they will look to replicate away at Chelsea in two weeks time.

Academy Manager Gary Issott's comments:

"I was really pleased, on the day the lads did ever so well. The Fulham team had some strong foreign players and a few older ones being played down from their professional ranks so I think what our youngsters did on the day was absolutely terrific.

"We lost the first game at home to Sunderland but the lads have gone on and won four games and drawn three. Effectively we were unbeaten in seven games going into the Fulham game so since the start of the season the lads have been in terrific form.

"We were always hopeful with this group that there were going to be two or three future first team players in there and at the minute they're showing all the signs. The back four have kept a clean sheet for the second time in two weeks. Ross Fitzsimons (the keeper) deserves some credit for that with Ryan Inniss and Quade Taylor as well as Connor Dymond who did very well at right back. I think also Reise Allassani and Kyle de Silva were the pick of the front players.

"Regarding injuries, Tom King damaged some cartillage shortly after returning from injury so will be out for six weeks. Kyle de Silva recently returned from injury and Alex Wynter has started training and should be fit for the Chelsea game. Aaron Akuruka has also played a few minutes in friendlies so is also recovering well."

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/AcademyNews/0,,10323~2488042,00.html?

WhiteJC

Jol unconcerned despite absence of his big three

FULHAM manager Martin Jol is confident about his side's chances against Wisla Krakow in tonight's Europa League clash, despite being without a handful of key players.

The Cottagers face the Polish champions without Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora.

"We took a few younger players instead [rather than risking them] like Kerim Frei, Alex Smith and Marcel Gecov," said Jol, whose side have garnered four points from their opening two group games. "That said, I do not have any concerns before the match. We have 22 good players, as well as a few younger players. We have a strong team overall."

http://www.cityam.com/sport/jol-unconcerned-despite-absence-his-big-three?

WhiteJC

Exclusive interview: Jol revels in European nights

Fulham manager Martin Jol is enjoying every minute of Europa League football this year, and he tells ITV Football that success in Europe can give the Cottagers a boost for their league campaign.
Jol also saluted the goalscoring contribution of striker Andy Johnson in Europe this year.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/europaleague/news/exclusive-interview-martin-jol-on-fulham-job-31113/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol To Return To Hamburg For Talented Winger

Fulham have been in the news a lot lately and it looks like it could be a busy winter at Craven Cottage if all of the recent transfer rumours are true. The latest rumour surrounds the Hamburg wing-back Maximilian Beister who is currently on loan at Fortuna Düsseldorf.

According to reports in the German Newspaper Bild, Fulham have been tracking Beister for some time now and his impressive performances for Düsseldorf this season have made an impression on Martin Jol, who managed Hamburg in 2008-09, and could be preparing a bid for Beister in January.

Düsseldorf play their football in the second division of the Bundesliga, but they are currently in third position just one point of the top of the table and they are unbeaten this season. Beister, 21, has played in all 11 games as a right winger and scored five goals, but he can play in a more defensive role if required.

Beister was on loan at Fortuna last season as well and has played 35 games in total scoring 11 goals. Should he continue to impress Fulham may well have a fight on their hands if they wish to bring him to England, as his parent club Hamburg are currently bottom of the Bundesliga with just seven points from their first nine games and they could exercise their right to recall him.

http://www.footylatest.com/martin-jol-to-return-to-hamburg-for-talented-winger/24625?

WhiteJC

More waffle: some Julian Barnes but no Dickson Etuhu this time

Further to yesterday's waffle, here is some more waffle, building on the same thoughts. It occurred to me that I was unduly harsh on Julian Barnes. I think he's tarred by the Amis/McEwan brush, and while they write perfectly good books, they seem to be writing for and about other people.  A central tenet of fiction writing seems to be that your characters should be drawn in a way that makes readers take an interest in them, perhaps even want to be them.  It's why we read Kerouac when we're young and get all starry eyed, why Holden Caulfield resonates with teenagers so much, why Henry Miller can play weird tricks on our minds, why Hunter S Thompson is such a hero to so many.  You don't even have to admire these characters, but there has to be something about them that you identify with or tap into.

McEwan and Amis are gifted writers but their characters are a million miles away from anything I've come across or am interested in.  So while I appreciate that they write good books, they're not good books for me.  Which brings things like the Booker Prize into question: all of these are good books, but what makes one better than the other?  It depends on how you're judging them. This can't really be broken down (we've heard about the panel looking for 'page-turners' but this smells fishy) so leaves lots of room for interpretation and disagreement.

As we said yesterday, we get the same for footballers.  So a player might be a good player, but might not be a good player for all of us, owing to our own personal set of parameters.

If you are Martin Jol your criteria for each player might be:

Helps the team win football matches
Can be relied upon
Does what I tell him

And he'll have more specific things in mind for each position. Pick up any general coaching manual and you'll find a list of attributes for each role: coaches then adapt these to the systems and the players they have available.  So if the archetypal right-back should have good defensive qualities, pace, stamina, and the ability to join attacks, Jol has to decide which of these he prioritises most.  If he (or his system) needs pace he will look at someone like Chris Baird and have to make a decision about what he can accept and what he can't: Baird has little pace, but good distribution and is otherwise solid; Jol has to decide whether this is acceptable to him, and if it isn't, Baird doesn't get to play right-back.  And so on.

As fans we have other criteria. The commonly held stereotype of an English fan's ideals might be:

Runs around a lot/Gets 'stuck in'
Claps us afterwards
Does important things in high-profile situations
Avoids glaring mistakes

Another fan might look for:

Players who aren't afraid to try things
Players who take people on
Players who don't take things too seriously

Personally I like players who:

Other people don't seem to like as much
Have something to prove
Seem like nice people
Play in a pleasing manner

(So I'm a big Gecov fan at the moment)

Where is this all going? Just, I suppose, to reaffirm that we really all do look at the same thing in different ways.  This is obvious, of course, but we shouldn't be blind to these biases, either.   Which is an odd thing to say, except most of us spend far more time than is healthy discussing various footballers and a little pondering has helped me to understand why other people see things differently to me.  As individuals we're the product of a million influences that mean different things affect us in different ways: as best I can tell, women tend not to like Philip Roth's books; men can't understand why anyone would watch Sex and the City deliberately.  Both of these things have value, but different value to different people.  Same goes for football, I think.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/more-waffle-some-julian-barnes-but-no-dickson-etuhu-this-time/?

WhiteJC

Jol insists Fulham is still strong

Fulham manager Martin Jol is upbeat about his side's chances against Wisla Krakow on Thursday despite being without a handful of key players for the Europa League tie.

The Cottagers face the Polish champions without some key players, including Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora.

The latter pair have been rested ahead of Sunday's Premier League match against Everton, while skipper Murphy misses out with a knee injury.

Despite the big-name absentees, Jol remains confident of victory at the Stadion Miejski and backed his squad players to rise to the occasion.

"Danny took a knock to his knee, which was pretty painful but hopefully he will be fit for selection on Sunday," the Dutchman said.

"I spoke to the medical staff and we decided not to take a risk.

"Dempsey was left in London and Bobby was the same as I want him for Sunday rather than risking him tomorrow because we have got Andrew Johnson.

"[Mousa] Dembele is with us even though he had a little problem with his ankle and we have Orlando Sa, who can also play in attack.

"We took a few younger players instead [rather than risking them] like Kerim Frei, Alex Smith and Marcel Gecov.

"That said, I do not have any concerns before the match.

"We have played with different teams before and have 22 good players, as well as a few younger players.

"Overall, we still have a very strong team."

Fulham remain undefeated in Group K but progression for Wisla already looks unlikely, having lost their opening two matches and conceded seven goals in the process.

The poor performances means little more than 15,000 are expected at tomorrow's match - less than half the capacity of the Stadion Miejski.

Wisla's defeats have seen fans and pundits alike turn on a supposedly slow and disorganised defence, which Jol believes makes this the kind of game in which a player of Johnson's pace could flourish.

"If he starts I think he can do well," he said. "He has scored I think six goals in Europe and then against QPR, where he scored a hat-trick.

"He is on fire and I think the only decision we have to make is whether we play him or somebody else."

Johnson started Saturday's Premier League clash at Stoke, where late goals from Jon Walters and Rory Delap condemned Fulham to a 2-0 defeat.

"Stoke was of course very disappointing because we were doing okay for 80 minutes and then their strength showed," Jol said.

"We were pretty disappointed after that but I don't think it has anything to do with this game.

"This game is important in another way, another perspective and we want to do well in the group. We want to do well in Europe.

"You cannot compare the two competitions but it is always good to have a win under your belt so I would say it is important for the confidence."

Fulham midfielder Dickson Etuhu echoed his manager's sentiments, adding: "Obviously we are expecting a tough game tomorrow.

"Every time you play in Europe, especially away from home, you expect a difficult game.

"I've heard a lot about this club and how tough it is to play at their ground, how amazing the atmosphere is.

"We're looking forward to it and it is an experience for all of us."

Wisla Krakow manager Robert Maaskant is hoping to outsmart countryman Jol.

The White Star have performed miserably in their two Group K matches so far, conceding seven goals in two defeats.

Despite having suffered heavy losses to both Odense BK and FC Twente, Maaskant thinks the Polish champions can turn the corner against Fulham.

"The plan is, like always, to score one more goal than they do," said the Dutchman. "That is plan one.

"Of course, we know Fulham are a very good side.

"It has not been very easy to analyse Fulham because they have been changing their line-up many times over the last eight games.

"There are always five players that start but other than that we don't know, for example tomorrow with [Mousa] Dembele because he had a little injury against Stoke.

"We are not going to change that much because it is not possible to change a whole system or to play totally different.

"Of course we are aware that the result tomorrow is going to be very important for the rest of the games.

"We hope are smart enough to get a result against maybe a stronger team."

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/europaleague/story/europe-league-preview-wisla-krakow-vs-fulham-martin-jol-upbeat-about-fulhams-chances-101911?