https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

That was rubbish

Started by BalDrick, October 21, 2011, 07:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

All this second XI, makeshift team stuff, lets have a look:

Schwarzer-First teamer
Kelly-Res but has played a number of games this season and some fans wanted him starting as the only natrual RB in the squad
Briggs-I'm sure he has played a number of games and again some fans who were having a go at Riise a couple of weeks agao wanted Briggs to start
Hughes & Hangeland-First teamers

Gecov-2nd game so yes a reserve
Etuhu-First teamer
Dembele-First teamer
Duff-First teamer

Johnson- First teamer
SA- reserve

So out of 11 players you could argue that 7 are first team players, 1 a 50/50 starter and the other 3 real reserves. 

Not exactly the reserves and some of those individual (first XI) players should have done better.

BalDrick

'...thats why I genuinely believe Bullard was let go, as he would not keep to a structure'

Completely agree with you on that point, but as you say that's for another day.

Your main point re Hodgson's teams, regardless of who was playing, is also valid, though in fairness RH had been in charge for a while longer than Jol has at that point. But that said, it's something I'm not sure we look to have yet, a sense of everyone knowing where they should be. I keep reading people saying Jol's team will attack more and score more goals, but there was no urgency whatsoever last night, before or after the red (understandable to an extent after the red). If anything we attacked more like a team that were a goal to the good already, possibly even with a numerical superiority too, in that we didn't seem to have the desire to go for the kill. Time and again we looked to break but then held the ball up, giving the Poles more time to get their bus back in the garage. Only real time we didn't was when Briggs (I think, may have been Etuhu, in fact it was) spotted a gap and filled it, before releasing Dembele whose shot was nowhere near powerful enough to beat a keeper who is reputed to be pretty poor but we still don't know much about.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

Quote from: MJG on October 21, 2011, 12:14:43 PM

Schwarzer-First teamer
Kelly-Res but has played a number of games this season and some fans wanted him starting as the only natrual RB in the squad
Briggs-I'm sure he has played a number of games and again some fans who were having a go at Riise a couple of weeks agao wanted Briggs to start

Etuhu-First teamer
Dembele-First teamer
Duff-First teamer

Johnson- First teamer
SA- reserve

So out of 11 players you could argue that 7 are first team players, 1 a 50/50 starter and the other 3 real reserves. 

Not exactly the reserves and some of those individual (first XI) players should have done better.

We have more than 11 first team players but Sunday Jol will pick his strongest team and I'll bet there'll be 5 or 6 changes.

MJG

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 21, 2011, 12:43:38 PM
Quote from: MJG on October 21, 2011, 12:14:43 PM

Schwarzer-First teamer

Etuhu-First teamer
Dembele-First teamer
Duff-First teamer

Johnson- First teamer
SA- reserve

We have more than 11 first team players but Sunday Jol will pick his strongest team and I'll bet there'll be 5 or 6 changes.
Team for Sunday:
MS, CB, AH, BH, BHR; MD, DM, SS, CD; BZ, AJ

6 it will be.

ImperialWhite

Exactly, TG.

This team is at the end of it's cycle - Hughes recognised the need to start building the next team, but he only really succeeded when he fell back on using the old team with a few tweaks. Jol doesn't have this luxury, however, because attempting to use the Hodgson era team next season is a recipe for disaster. We have to start building a new team now!

Unfortunately building a new team requires changing virtually everything, so it's never going to be pretty. My guess however is that as a new side starts to take shape (with a mix of old/new players and a new philosophy that's understood everyone) we'll look great.

jarv

The game was a real enigma. Some half way decent individual performances but collectively, no real penetration. I caught the 2nd half only on mycomputer and overall thought it was very poor football to watch.

One of those "I've seen enough, I'm off" (about 10 minutes before the end)

Mr. Sipwell hit the best point. NO PACE! Defending like we do away, that's good. However, it is useless if you don't have a player or two with pace to take it to them. How can there ever be an end product unless a set piece.?

Disappointed :dft006: