watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (11.03.10)

Started by White Noise, March 11, 2010, 06:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7416611/Juventus-v-Fulham-Roy-Hodgson-dreams-of-making-history-in-Europe.html

Juventus v Fulham: Roy Hodgson dreams of making history in Europe

It is not Roy Hodgson's measured style to go for the roll of drums ahead of any match, no matter how important, but the Fulham manager allowed himself a grand statement on the eve of his club's significant Europa Cup tie against Juventus on Thursday.

By Jason Burt

Published: 6:00AM GMT 11 Mar 2010

History man: Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is hoping to start a new chapter in the club's history when they take on Juventus in Italy Photo: GETTY IMAGES
"We have not had any European history," Hodgson said of Fulham, after a brief doffing of his cap to a successful Intertoto Cup campaign eight years ago. "We are making history as we go along and we are very happy to be making history.

"It will be nice some time in the future if the club can improve on what this group of players has done but we are setting quite a high standard and it is going to be difficult for the club in future years to improve on that."

What is certain is that Hodgson's own part in Fulham's history is already writ large. He has done an outstanding job, re-shaping and revitalising and almost relaunching a club that had appeared doomed to slip out of the Premier League, a division they will comfortably occupy next season, when he arrived.

"Given our position when I came to the club at the end of 2007, I don't think many people at that stage could give credence to the fact we could be this far forward in our development," Hodgson said, as he bids to take Fulham into the quarter-finals.

"One could say what we have done is beyond our dreams. But you'd have to be a dreamer in the first place to get beyond your dreams and I've never been a dreamer. And if I have, I don't admit to it."

Everyone is a dreamer, though, and there was a bit of reverie as Hodgson recalled his two successful spells at Inter Milan – and did not rule out, one day, coaching in Italy again.

He also revealed that he will meet up with Inter's owner, Massimo Morrati, who will be in London next week for the Champions League tie away to Chelsea.

That may set a few chins wagging but Hodgson has the experience and confidence to discuss his future while stating clearly that having extended his contract at Craven Cottage he has no intention of upping sticks just yet. There is much still to do for the 62 year-old.

"You never know what's going to happen to you in football," he said. "I left with good memories, certainly amongst the people who worked [at Inter]. Who knows in the future what will happen? But it's not something I think about. I'm happy with what I am doing."

To arrive at this stage, facing Juventus, is some achievement. After all it was just 14 years ago that the Italians were lifting the European Cup while Fulham were scrabbling near the bottom of England's lowest division. And now they have the chance not just to continue making history but to deliver a real statement of intent for the future.

They will face a club studded with star names – although many are missing this evening through injury – but struggling to recapture their former glories under coach Alberto Zaccharoni, who is on a short-term contract and striving to gain fourth place in Serie A and with it qualification for the Champions League, a competition they were dumped out of before Christmas by Bayern Munich.

The conditions in Italy may also be a factor. The home pitch is expected to cut up badly and Fulham agreed to Juventus's request not to train on it.

With more heavy snow forecast, it is under cover but may deteriorate further. "It will be difficult," Hodgson admitted.

With Danny Murphy suspended, after his dismissal against holders Shakhtar Donetsk, Aaron Hughes will captain the side. "I'm sure a few people across Europe would sit up if we could get a result," he said. They would indeed.

Probable teams

Juventus (probable) (4 3-1-2): Manninger; Zebina, Legrottaglie, Cannavaro, Grosso; Candreva, Poulsen, Sissoko; Diego; Del Piero, Trezeguet.
Fulham (probable) (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Davies, Etuhu, Greening, Duff; Gera; Zamora.Referee: F Meyer (Germany).

White Noise

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/zaccheroni-warns-juve-of-hodgson-factor-2095063.html

Zaccheroni warns Juve of Hodgson factor

Thursday March 11 2010

Alberto Zaccheroni has warned his Juventus side to avoid complacency against Fulham as he looks to put one over on his old adversary Roy Hodgson in tonight's Europa League last-16 first-leg tie.

Fulham have been one of the surprise packages of the competition this year after they qualified from a group containing Serie A's Roma before knocking out Shakhtar Donetsk, the winners of the competition last season in its former guise as the UEFA Cup.

The Bianconeri, who have won the competition three times, have the better side on paper and are clear favourites to progress.

Zaccheroni only beat Hodgson once during the three spells the 62-year-old spent in Italy and he has told his team they will have to fight hard to beat the Cottagers.

"He is a very honest person. He plays teams in a very structured system, 4-4-2," said Zaccheroni of Hodgson, who managed Inter Milan twice, and Udinese, in the 1990s.

"We should never underestimate him and his team. I watched Fulham when they played Shakhtar and they were very strong."

Zaccheroni had to conduct most of Juventus' training session indoors yesterday after heavy snow hit Turin. The game looks likely to go ahead, however, but the Old Lady will be without Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini and Amauri, through thigh injuries.

Felipe Melo is suspended and Zaccheroni may have to call upon Mohamed Sissoko and Claudio Marchisio, who are both carrying knocks.

Juventus v Fulham

Live, itv 4, 8.05

Irish Independent

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/q-a-time-juventus.html

Q & A Time: Juventus

By: timmyg | March 10th, 2010

Many thanks to Roberto over at the Juventus-Offside page for giving us a little insight on our next opponent in the Europa League, The Old Lady.

Juve have had a shaky season so far. Do you think it is rebounding, or on par for disappointment?
Both. We're rebounding, speaking to the dismal stretch back in December and January, but on par for disappointment with regards to where we'll end up this season. With such a rich history of winning titles, seeing our side struggle to compete for fourth place domestically like this has been, and still is, terribly frustrating.

How well of a job has Alberto Zaccheroni done taking over for Ciro Ferrara?
He's done fairly well. His biggest hurdle I think was to reestablish the group's confidence that went missing under Ferrara throughout that long winter period. It seems that he's accomplished that to a certain degree, and the return of key players who were on our injured list for the better part of Ferrara's tenure, have only helped his cause.

Looking at Juve's roster makes my head spin with all the quality names. Who should us Fulham fans really worry about?

I'd worry about Diego if I were Fulham fans going into Thursday's match. He's been by far our most consistent offensive threat this year. That said there are still a handful of other players who have been equally as threatening offensively from time to time, however, we'll have to wait and see to find out who'll step up alongside our number twenty-eight. Our eyes will be on our captain Alessandro Del Piero.

What has been the Achilles heel this season?
Scoring too early, or not at all, then poor back post defending.

Considering the race for the fourth Champions League spot in Serie A, do you think the club might view the Europa League as a distraction?
Although our players are talking the talk ahead of this one, come Thursday we'll know for sure how well they'll want to do here. In my opinion, if Juventus' upper brass could make a deal with the devil that would see them give up their soul for guaranteed entry into next year's Champions League, they wouldn't think twice.

I love the away kit this season. How much do they go for?
Same price as one of Clint Dempsey's mixtapes I think.

White Noise

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/162538/Roy-Hodgson-still-has-Italy-on-mind/

ROY HODGSON STILL HAS ITALY ON MIND 

Roy Hodgson plans to meet with Inter owner Massimo Moratti

Thursday March 11,2010

By Tony Paskin

ROY HODGSON last night admitted he hopes to manage again in Italy.

Fulham boss Hodgson will meet Inter Milan owner and president Massimo Moratti in London next week.

Moratti looks set to pick a new coach in the summer, with Jose Mourinho expected to leave after proving too combative and controversial despite two highly successful seasons in Italy.

Hodgson, 62, who had two spells managing Inter in the Nineties and was also at Udinese in 2001 – has no doubt impressed a few Serie A bigwigs with his fine work at Fulham this season.

If the Cottagers, who are safe from relegation and still in the FA Cup, see off Juventus over the two legs in their last-16 Europa League clash, his chances of landing a top role could be seriously boosted.

Asked whether he fancied another Italian job, Hodgson said: "Yes, why not? You never know what is going to happen to you in football.

"In particular, the two spells I had at Inter were very enjoyable and I left with good memories, certainly about the people who worked there.

"Italy will always have a very fond place in my memory and it played an important part in my football career. So I shall always treasure those moments and think very fondly of Italy and I am always happy to come back."

Knocking out Juve would further enhance Hodgson's standing with Inter as the two clubs are fierce rivals.

Hodgson disclosed he has been having regular chats with Moratti and will be seeing him face to face when Inter visit London to play Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday.

"Actually I often talk to Mr Moratti and I definitely hope to meet him when he comes to London next week," said Hodgson. "It will be a great pleasure to meet him."

Talking up his work at Fulham, Hodgson said: "Given our position when I came to the club at the end of 2007, I don't think many people at that stage could give credence to the fact we would be this far forward in our development.

"One could say what we have done is beyond our dreams. We haven't had any European history. We are making history as we go along.

"It is going to be difficult for the club to improve on what we are doing here."

Alberto Zaccheroni, meanwhile, has warned his Juventus side to avoid complacency tonight. The Bianconeri, who won the UEFA Cup three times, have the better side on paper and are clear favourites.

Yet Zaccheroni only beat Hodgson once when they met in Italian football and he said: "He is a very honest person. He plays teams in a very structured system, 4-4-2.

"His teams are always successful without trying to do too much, they just keep it simple."

Fulham's 3-2 aggregate victory over Ukrainian side Shakhtar was a sign for Zaccheroni of how far Hodgson has taken them.

"I watched Fulham when they played Shakhtar and they were very strong on the field," added Zaccheroni.

"None of their players plays for himself, they all play for the team. And they can defend really well, we all saw that in Donetsk."

Zaccheroni had to conduct most of Juventus' training session indoors yesterday after heavy snow hit Turin. The match should go ahead and Juventus will be without Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini and Amauri, who are all injured.

Felipe Melo is suspended and Zaccheroni is short of midfield cover, so may have to call upon Momo Sissoko and Claudio Marchisio, who are both carrying knocks.

JUVENTUS (probable): Manninger; Zebina, Cannavaro, Legrottaglie, Grosso; Camoranesi, Poulsen, Sissoko; Diego; Del Piero, Trezeguet.

FULHAM (probable): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Greening, Etuhu, Davies; Zamora, Gera.

Referee: F Meyer (Germany).

Kick-off: 8.05pm. TV: ITV4.

White Noise

Zaccheroni relishing meeting Hodgson again

By Paul Hirst

Thursday, March 11, 2010

ALBERTO Zaccheroni has warned his Juventus side to avoid complacency against Fulham as he looks to put one over on his old adversary Roy Hodgson in tomorrow's Europa League last 16 first leg contest.

Fulham have been one of the surprise packages of the competition this year after they qualified from a group containing Serie A's Roma before knocking out Shakhtar Donetsk, the winners of the competition last season in its former guise as the UEFA Cup.

The Bianconeri, who have won the competition three times, have the better side on paper and are clear favourites to progress.

Zaccheroni only beat Hodgson once during the three spells the 62-year-old spent in Italy and he has told his team they will have to fight hard to beat the Cottagers.

"He is a very honest person. He plays teams in a very structured system, 4-4-2," said Zaccheroni of Hodgson, who managed Inter Milan twice and Udinese in the 1990s.

"His teams are always successful without trying to do too much, they just keep it simple.

"We should never underestimate him and his team. He was worked hard and has fought hard as a manager."

Fulham's 3-2 aggregate victory over Ukrainian side Shakhtar was a sign for Zaccheroni of how far Hodgson has taken the Londoners since he brought them back from the brink of relegation in 2007.

"I watched Fulham when they played Shakhtar and they were very strong on the field," added the former AC Milan boss.

"They were arranged very orderly and have plenty of good players so tomorrow will be a tough match.

"None of the players play for themselves, they all play for the team they can defend really well, we all saw that from the match in Donetsk.

"They are a typical English team, they're very tough, they create a lot and have some excellent players who just want to play for the team."

Zaccheroni had to conduct most of Juventus' training session indoors yesterday after heavy snow hit Turin.

The game looks likely to go ahead, however, but the Old Lady will be without key players Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini and Amauri who are all out with thigh injuries.

Fulham will be without captain Danny Murphy (ban).

Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka, who are both cup-tied, will also be missing.

Paul Konchesky could replace Shorey at left-back if he recovers from an ankle injury but Andy Johnson, Clint Dempsey and John Pantsil (all knee) are out.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, March 11, 2010

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/zaccheroni-relishing-meeting-hodgson-again-114206.html#ixzz0hqd1YWt7

White Noise

Juventus v Fulham – Preview – 11 March 2010

by: Jonathon Feyerherm

11 Mar 2010

Juventus v Fulham
UEFA Europa League Round of 16 1st Leg
11 March 2010 – 20:05 GMT

Juventus will begin the UEFA Europa League round of 16 with a first leg match against English Premier League side Fulham on Thursday.

Juventus v Fulham Preview

Juventus is looking to find success in the Europa League after a disappointing season in the Serie A and Champions League. They had a chance to make the round of 16 in the UEFA Champions League but a home loss in the last group stage match-day put them in the Europa League. A run into the semifinals or final of the Europa League would help to compensate for their poor showing in the other competitions.

Fulham, who are currently 10th in the Premier League, defeated reigning UEFA Cup Champions Shakhtar Donetsk in the round of 32. They were not expected to advance past the Ukrainian side but a 1-1 draw on the road was enough. Manager Roy Hodgson has instilled a discipline 4-4-2 system that has made Fulham one of the strongest defensive side in England.

Juventus have had a rollercoaster season that included being near the top of the table to start the Serie A season and then dropping to as low as 7th place. They are in 6th place in the league table heading into Thursday's match. Juventus advanced to the round of 16 with a 2-1 aggregate win against Ajax Amsterdam.

Both sides will be missing key players for Thursday's match. Juventus is without goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini, and Amauri. Fulham is missing Andrew Johnson, Clint Dempsey, and John Pantsil for the trip to Italy. Juventus will be favored in the home match but Fulham have surprised in the Europa League.

Fulham will be satisfied with a draw and if they can get an away goal. It should be Juventus attacking in the match and Fulham looking for chances on the counterattack. Bobby Zamora leads Fulham with three goals in the Europa League while Amauri has two for Juventus.

Juventus v Fulham Prediction
The match will end in a 1-1 draw.

Read more: http://soccerlens.com/fulham-juventus/41737/#ixzz0hqdmCxAv

White Noise

http://www.juventus.com/site/eng/NEWS_newschampionsleague_13986DF8CD5B4FDC963FF83F4CF0E863.asp

Hodgson: «It is of great satisfaction to play against Juve»

A known face and a team never seen before. Roy Hodgson's Fulham landed in Turin. In Italy, the coach worked with Inter and Udinese. It was an arrival marked by the snow, which fell all day, obliging the English team to change their plans. Instead of the traditional training session at the Olimpico, they trained at the Juventus Center in Vinovo: «We could have asked for the cover to be removed – declared Hodgson during the press conference – but we did not want to ruin the field, and so we accepted the invitation from Juventus to use their sports center. Today the real winner was the bad weather».

In order to understand who will win the first leg of the final 16 of the Europa League we will have to wait until tomorrow. Being able to play against Juventus is already a victory for Fulham but the Londoners are far from considering themselves beaten. Hodgson confirmed: «For us it is of great satisfaction having made it to this point and being able to play against a great team like Juventus. It is the crowning of all we have done in recent years, but we do not want to stop here and want to keep improving, conscious of the fact that there is still much to be done to reach the level of clubs like Juventus, Inter, Milan, Chelsea or Liverpool ».

Finally two answers for the Italian journalists, on the duel with Zaccheroni and his previous Italian experience. «I don't think that the fact that I am ahead of Zaccheroni counts. It depends on the teams we coached in the past. It will not be a duel between two coaches but between two teams. Here in Italy, I was happy and I like to return. Inter? Tomorrow's match has nothing to do with my previous experience. I am only interested in Fulham now».

After having already played against Roma in the group stage, Fulham returns to Italy and does so without former giallorosso Okaka, who joined the Londoners in January but who cannot play due to regulations, and captain Murphy who is suspended. It will probably be Aaron Hughes to wear the captain's band. The latter was also present at the Juventus Center press room: «Ever since we are children we hear people speaking of Juventus and everybody would like to play against them and this is why we are awaiting the match with great anxiousness and excitement. Juve is always Juve, even though it is not going through its best season. We know we will be playing against a European heavyweight but we will try to give our best to obtain a positive result».

White Noise

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson relishing dream Europa tie with mighty Juventus

By Laura Williamson reports from Turin

Last updated at 12:12 AM on 11th March 2010

Roy Hodgson says he isn't a dreamer, but even the most optimistic of managers could not have hoped to see Fulham play Juventus in the biggest match in the club's recent history.

It was less than two years ago that Fulham staved off relegation on the last day of the season with a win against Portsmouth.

Now, after coming through ties against AS Roma, FC Basle and Shakhtar Donetsk - the reigning UEFA Cup champions - Hodgson's side face the likes of World Cup winners Alessandro Del Piero, David Trezeguet and Fabio Cannavaro in the last 16 of the Europa League.

FULHAM v JUVENTUS
FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Greening, Etuhu, Davies; Gera, Zamora.

JUVENTUS (4-3-1-2): Manninger; Zebina, Cannavaro, Legrottaglie, Grosso; Candreva, Poulsen, Sissoko; Diego; Del Piero, Trezequet.

TV: Live on ITV4 from 8pm (kick-off 8.05).

The Fulham boss said: 'Given our position when I came to the club at the very end of 2007, I don't think many people would have given any credence to the fact that we could be this far forward in our development.

'One could say that what we've done is beyond our dreams but then I think you'd have to be a dreamer in the first place to get beyond your dreams and I've never been a dreamer.'

With prices as high as £140 for the return leg at Craven Cottage on March 18, Fulham fans, however, are clearly starting to dream. And who can blame them when their fixture list for the next fortnight includes Juventus home and away, a Premier League trip to Old Trafford and an FA Cup quarter-final replay against Tottenham?

Hodgson (right) said: 'There's no way we're going to be nonchalant about these two matches or the Cup replay against Tottenham because if we could progress further in either of those competitions tions it would be a magnificent feather in our cap.

'I think it shows how far the club has come, to reach this stage of the Europa League. It's a great reward for an exciting European adventure when you get the chance to play at a club of Juventus's stature in the last 16.'

Juventus, who are currently sitting fifth in Italy's Serie A, may not be quite the Michel Platini-inspired side who beat Liverpool 1-0 in the final of the 1985 European Cup, but few can argue with the club's European pedigree.

Juventus boast two European Cups, three UEFA Cups and have contested 340 games in UEFA competition. Fulham's only European adventure before this season was a third-round finish in the 2002-03 UEFA Cup.

Central defender Aaron Hughes, who will captain the side in the absence of the suspended Danny Murphy, said: 'It would certainly be a big scalp to take. They're still a massive club in Europe - if we could get something and progress it would be a massive result for us and would definitely stick out in the club's history.'

Hodgson added: 'We haven't had any European history so we are making history as we go along and we are very happy about that.

'It would be nice if, at some time in the future, the club can improve on what this group of players has done but we're setting quite a high standard.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1257065/Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-relishing-dream-Europa-tie-mighty-Juventus.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0hqeajBrw

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/10/fulham-juventus-roy-hodgson-europa-league

Fulham's trip to Juventus is the stuff of dreams, says Roy Hodgson

• European run is 'very important step' for club, says Hodgson

• Juventus game will be the 46th of Fulham's season

Stuart James in Turin

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 March 2010 20.52

Fulham arrived in a snow-covered Turin today for the 46th match of what feels like a never-ending season but no one connected with the west London club was complaining about the freezing conditions or fixture congestion. With Juventus standing between Fulham and a place in the Europa League quarter-finals, Roy Hodgson talked about his players taking part in a tie which was "beyond our dreams" when he took over two years ago.

An experienced Juventus team including Alessandro Del Piero, France's David Trezeguet and Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro await a club that was staring relegation to the Championship in the face when Hodgson supplanted Lawrie Sanchez at the end of 2007. It has been a remarkable journey ever since and Hodgson and his players are now daring to believe that Turin might not be the final destination on their European tour.

"I think given our position when I came to the club, I don't think many people would have given any credence to the fact we could be this far forward in our development now," said the Fulham manager. "The history we are making this year is a very important step for the club and one which I hope will provide a stronger foundation to keep our place among the elite in England."

No other Premier League club has played more games than Fulham this season and tomorrow night's fixture is the first of five in the space of a fortnight. That season-defining period includes the two ties against Juventus, Premier League matches against Manchester United and Manchester City and an FA Cup quarter-final replay against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Wednesday week.

Not so long ago Hodgson was adopting a laissez-faire approach to the Europa League, using the competition to blood fringe players as he focused all his attention on top-flight survival. But having defeated the Europa League holders, Shakhtar Donetsk, in the previous round, after progressing from the group stages, and climbed to a position of safety in the Premier League, Hodgson admitted that his priorities have changed.

"A good finish in the Premier League is still very important," said Hodgson, who will be without the suspended Danny Murphy tomorrow. "But there is no way we are going to be in any way nonchalant about these two matches against Juventus or the FA Cup replay against Tottenham because if we could progress further in either of those two competitions it would be a magnificent feather in our cap."

Hodgson's achievements are already well respected in Italy, where he managed Internazionale on two occasions as well as Udinese, and there was a sense last night he would like to come back again one day. "Why not," said Hodgson. "The two spells I had with Inter were very enjoyable and I think I left a good memory among the people who work there. I'm really happy doing what I'm doing and recently renewed my contract. But Italy will always have a very fond place in my memory and I would always be very happy to come back here."

He would, however, have hoped to be greeted with better weather on his latest trip. With snow covering the pitch at the stadium, Hodgson agreed to train indoors last night. "I have to say Juventus were very good and they made it clear that if we insisted on training on it, as we have the right from Uefa to do, that they would take off the covers. But it was obvious to me that was counter-productive because both ourselves and Juventus would like to have the best pitch possible tomorrow."

Probable teams:

Juventus: (4-3-1-2) Manninger; Zebina, Legrottaglie, Cannavaro, Grosso; Candreva, Poulsen, Sissoko; Diego; Del Piero, Trezeguet

Fulham: (4-4-2) Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland; Konchesky; Duff, Greening, Etuhu, Davies; Zamora, Gera

Referee: F Meyer (Germany)

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6014431,00.html

Hodgson out to make history

Fulham chief wants to keep on winning

Last updated: 10th March 2010   

We haven't had any European history so we are making history as we go along.Roy Hodgson.

Roy Hodgson is looking for Fulham to continue making history as they tackle Italian giants Juventus on Thursday.

The Cottagers, in their maiden European campaign, have already knocked holders Shakhtar Donetsk out of the competition.

They now face Juventus in the last 16 with the first leg in Turin.

And Hodgson admits as long they stay in Europe, they are writing new chapters in the club's history.

"Given our position when I came to the club in 2007 I don't think many people would have actually given any credence to the fact that we'd be this far forward now in our development," Hodgson said.

"Apart from appearing in the last vestiges of the Intertoto Cup, we haven't had any European history so we are making history as we go along.

"The history we are making this year is a very important step in the club's history and one which I hope will provide that stronger foundation that which clubs like ourselves need to make.

"These adventures in Europe can help us in terms of us becoming a stronger football club but we have a long way to go, mind, before we match the Inter Milans, the Juves and the Milans."

Italian job

Hodgson was happy to be back in Italy, a place he knows well following spells in charge of Inter Milan and Udinese.

And the 62-year-old admits he would not be adverse to returning to Serie A one day.

"Could I work here again? Why not? You never know what's going to happen to you in football," Hodgson said.

"The two spells I had with Inter were enjoyable. Who knows what will happen in the future but it's not something I'm thinking about at the moment.

"I'm happy doing what I'm doing at Fulham and recently renewed my contract."

Meanwhile, Hodgson's counterpart Alberto Zaccheroni was also asked about his future.

Objective

Zaccheroni was appointed on a deal until the end of the season, replacing Ciro Ferrara last month.

Now reports suggest that Juve could be tempted to offer Zaccheroni a long-term deal.

But he said: "I won't speak about the future because it isn't part of our current objectives.

"Now my objective is only to beat Fulham and I hope to be able to look every three days at the next objective until the end of the season.

"I hope that there is an improvement in the team, but we are often penalised by these injuries so I cannot pretend that all is well. But the objective is to bring every player to the peak of his condition.

"We respect Fulham a lot. They have shown their worth in the Premier League and the cup. They are a proud team, capable of exploiting all the chances that open up in the span of 90 minutes.

"They are very compact and all play for the team. They know how to defend themselves very well."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/fulham-fans-dare-to-dream-of-toppling-the-old-lady-1919517.html

Fulham fans dare to dream of toppling the Old Lady

Tonight's Europa League tie with Juventus is not only a landmark in the London club's rise from the depths but can also lay foundations for lasting success.

By Glenn Moore in Turin

Thursday, 11 March 2010

Fourteen years ago Fulham finished 85th in the English league set-up, the position currently occupied by Barnet. Tonight they play Juventus, one of European football's most illustrious clubs, in the last 16 of the Europa League.

It is an incredible rise. As Fulham ascended through the divisions their supporters would taunt opposing fans with the chant, "We won't play you any more." It has turned out to be true. A fixture list featuring Gillingham, Brentford and Port Vale has been replaced, this mad March, with matches against Tottenham Hotspur, Juventus and Manchester United.

Rufus Brevett, who was part of Fulham's rise from the third tier to the first, is in Turin, which has seen so much snow that Fulham trained indoors last night, for BBC London. He admits he can scarcely believe why he is here. Shaking his head, he said: "It's madness. Fulham v Juventus. We never imagined Fulham would play matches like this. It's a dream for the fans."

Recalling his move, in 1998, from a QPR side freshly relegated from the Premier League to then Second Division Fulham, Brevett added: "Kevin Keegan [Fulham's manager at the time] rang me up and said, 'I'm calling from the big club around the corner from your little club.' I laughed. He said: 'You can laugh, now, but you won't be laughing at that in a few years' time.' He was right."

Keegan took Fulham up, and was then poached by England. Jean Tigana lifted Fulham into the top flight in 2001. There they have stayed, though that status looked in grave peril when Roy Hodgson arrived two years ago. "I don't think many people at that stage would have given any credence that we could be this far forward in our development," Hodgson said. "One could say what we have done is beyond our dreams, but I am not a dreamer in the first place."

Mohamed al-Fayed is. If his vision when he bought the club in 1997, to make Fulham the "Manchester United of the South", has not quite been achieved, they are enjoying a more golden era than even Johnny Haynes' team knew, with last season's seventh place the club's highest ever.

It surely cannot last, largely because the club are heavily indebted to their 77-year-old owner and unlikely to break even any season soon. At some point there must be a reckoning which is why, indicated Hodgson, this European campaign is so significant, as it widens the support base upon which the club's financial strength is ultimately predicated. "It is an important step in the club's history," he said, "one I hope will provide the stronger foundation clubs like ourselves need to make sure we keep our place in the Premier League, which is where everyone wants and needs to be."

Overturning Juventus would make headlines even if the Old Lady of Turin is a little unsteady on her feet right now. The appointment of former defender Ciro Ferrara as coach this season proved a mistake. Despite signing the Brazilians Diego and Felipe Melo, and the Italian World Cup winners Fabio Grosso and Fabio Cannavaro, Juve were knocked out of the Champions League. At home they trail both Milan clubs and, embarrassingly, Roma, who are coached by the former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri, whom Juve fired last summer. The Serie A veteran Alberto Zaccheroni has been appointed caretaker to oversee the race with Palermo for the fourth Champions League spot but his reign may be brief as Juve hope to attract Rafael Benitez this summer.

Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, centre-half Giorgio Chiellini and newly naturalised Brazilian striker Amauri are injured and Felipe Melo is suspended. Nevertheless Zaccheroni can still field an impressive all-international XI spearheaded by Alessandro Del Piero and David Trezuguet. The weak link is probably in goal, where former Arsenal goalkeeper Alex Manninger replaces Buffon.

Fulham are poor travellers with a small, increasingly drained squad. The bookies offer 7-1 against them winning. But while this is just another match for Juventus, one they would rather not be playing (the Europa League being somewhat beneath them), for Fulham, said captain Aaron Hughes, "This is a game which will stand out in the fans' minds for a long time. It's great to play in it."

Probable teams:

Juventus (4-3-1-2): Manninger; Zebina, Cannavaro, Legrottaglie, Grosso; Camoranesi, Poulsen, Sissoko; Diego; Trezuguet, Del Piero.

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Greening, Etuhu, Davies; Gera; Zamora.

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/fulham/article7057513.ece

Roy Hodgson happy to play the history man at Fulham

Russell Kempson, Turin

Hodgson has not ruled out a return to managing in Italy in future but is happy at Fulham
As Roy Hodgson continues to redraw the map for Fulham, in the present and also possibly the future, he cannot help but dwell on the past. He has never lost his passion for Italy, after two stints with Inter Milan, and has not ruled out a return to the country.

"Would I go back? Yes, why not?" the Fulham manager said yesterday. "You never know what might happen in football and my spells with Inter were very enjoyable. It's not something I particularly think about but if it happens, it happens."

That was perhaps not what Fulham supporters wanted to hear on the eve of the first leg of the West London club's Europa League round-of-16 tie against Juventus in the Stadio Olimpico this evening. The fans, though, should rest assured. Hodgson, 62, is going nowhere just yet and even if he does have one last hurrah left in him, probably abroad, he has unfinished business at Craven Cottage.

"With no real European history at the club, we are making it as we go along in this competition," Hodgson said. "We are setting a high standard and I think that, perhaps somewhere in the future, it is going to be difficult to improve on this. The history we are making is a very important step for the club. This adventure in Europe is helping to make us stronger.

"It's a great reward to be playing a team of the stature of Juventus in the last 16. If we could progress farther, it would be a tremendous feather in our cap. The team has responded superbly to every major obstacle that has been placed in front of them. I suppose you could say it's beyond our wildest dreams but we didn't really have any dreams when we started out."

Fulham, who are unbeaten in nine games, play their thirteenth match of the competition this evening, a run which started for them in the third qualifying round in July, and it is their eighteenth cup fixture of a campaign that shows no signs of letting up. They also have an FA Cup quarter-final replay with Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane to contend with.

Juventus, the 27-time Italian league winners and twice European champions, may appear to provide formidable opposition but perhaps in name only. They languish in a distant fifth place in Serie A, 15 points behind Inter, the leaders.

"Juve are still Juve. It will be a very tough task," Aaron Hughes, the Fulham central defender, said. "But if we did manage to get something to take back to the Cottage for the second leg, we would be really pleased. To beat Juve would be a huge scalp. Just because they are not in the best form does not make a difference. They are still a massive European club."

With Turin shrouded in a white blanket of snow yesterday, Fulham were forced to prepare indoors at Juventus's training ground at Vinovo last night instead of at the Olimpico.

"To train on the pitch there would have counter-productive," Hodgson said. "It will cut up, anyway, but we'd like it to be as good as it can be. We agreed to switch through a love of football and a desire to make a sensible decision. Training indoors is not ideal but weather is not ideal. It always wins."

Juventus (probable: 4-3-1-2): A Manninger — J Zebina, F Cannavaro, N Legrottaglie, F Grosso — A Candreva, C Poulsen, M Sissoko — Diego — A del Piero, D Trezeguet.

Fulham (probable; 4-4-2): M Schwarzer — C Baird, B Hangeland, A Hughes, P Konchesky — D Duff, D Etuhu, J Greening, S Davies — R Zamora, Z Gera.

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2887503/Hodgson-eyes-on-Euro-glory.html

Hodgson eyes on Euro glory

From ANDREW DILLON in Turin

Published: Today

ROY HODGSON arrived on Italy's most famous film set and revealed he would love to produce the Italian Job III.

The Fulham boss has managed Udinese and Inter Milan and is not ruling out a return to Serie A.

Hodgson, 62, will meet Inter's owner Massimo Moratti next week.

He has a one-year rolling contract at Craven Cottage and insists he is settled, having made club history by reaching the Europa League last 16.

Fulham's reward for that is a glamour tie against Juventus here tonight.

Hodgson said: "You never say never. Why not? If it happens, it happens. You never know what is going to happen in football.

"In particular, the two spells at Inter were very enjoyable and I left with good memories, certainly amongst the people who worked there.

"Italy will always have a very fond place in my memory and played an important part in my career. I am always happy to come back here."

Hodgson will have dinner with Moratti in London ahead of Chelsea's Champions League match with Inter, the club he took to the 1997 UEFA Cup final.

Fulham are huge underdogs against two-time European Champions Juve, although they do have left-back Paul Konchesky back for the first leg after seven weeks out with a knee injury.

Hodgson's team also face an FA Cup quarter-final replay with Tottenham following their trip to Manchester United on Sunday and the Juventus return next week.

He said: "I think given our position when I came to the club at the end of 2007, one could say what we have done is beyond our dreams.

"We are making history as we go along.

"It will be nice some time in the future if the club can improve on what this group of players has done but we are setting quite a high standard."

LIKELY LINE-UP: Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Greening, Etuhu, Davies, Gera; Zamora.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-admits-he-would-be-tempted-by-Serie-A-return-as-he-plots-Juventus-downfall-in-Europa-League-article350899.html

Hodgson tempted by Italian job

Published 22:30 10/03/10

By Neil McLeman

Roy Hodgson last night admitted he would love another Italian job before trying to upset old rivals Juventus in the Europa League tonight.

The former Inter Milan and Udinese coach is still in regular contract with Massimo Moratti and plans to meet the Inter owner in London before the Chelsea game next week.

Hodgson, who took Inter Milan to the 1997 UEFA Cup final in his first spell at the club, has enjoyed fantastic success with Fulham since saving them from relegation two years ago.

And with Jose Mourinho itching for a return to the Premier League, the 62-year-old last night admitted he would be willing to return for another spell in Serie A before the end of his career. "Yes, why not?" he said.

"You never know what is going to happen in football. My two spells in Italy were very enjoyable and I left with a lot of good memories.

"Who knows? It is not something that I particularly think about. I am really enjoying doing the job I am doing and recently renewed my contract to stay at the club.

"But if it happens, it happens. Italy will always have a very fond place in my memories as it has played an important part in my career."

Hodgson last night challenged his Fulham side to write another page in the club's history in the Stadio Olimpico in Turin tonight.

"We are making history as we go along," he said. "We believe we can win this tie and if we can, we would be making more history for this club.

"It is something that this club is very proud of. We are setting quite a high standard and it is going to be difficult for the club in the future to improve on what we are doing here."

Fulham, who are 7-1 outsiders to win the first leg, were forced to train indoors last night because of the heavy snowfalls in northern Italy yesterday.

"It is not ideal but nothing was going to be ideal," he said. "We gave up our right to cut the pitch up to keep it for tomorrow. You can't beat the weather. The weather always wins."

With Fulham also facing Tottenham in an FA Cup final quarter-final replay before the end of the month, the fixtures are piling up for the Craven Cottage club. They also visit Old Trafford on Sunday.

But Aaron Hughes, who is stand-in skipper for the suspended Danny Hughes tonight, insisted his side are ready for their 46th game of the season.

"You forget about the tiredness with all the excitement," said the Northern Ireland defender.

"When you were eight or nine years old, if someone said to you in 20 years' time you would be playing Juventus, Manchester United and then Juventus, you would have taken it.

"It is something we are all looking forward to. These are the games you want to play in. Juventus would certainly be a scalp to take and everyone around Europe would sit up and take notice of the result."

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/03/11/SOCCER_Fulham_Hughes.html&TEAMHD=soccer

HUGHES TAKES AIM AT THE OLD LADY

By Paul Hirst, Press Association Sport, Turin

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes is hoping to send out a warning to the rest of Europe by claiming the prize scalp of Juventus in Thursday night's Europa League showdown in Turin.

Hughes will lead out the Cottagers at the Stadio Olimpico di Torino for the first leg of the last 16 tie.

Juventus are one of the giants of the Italian game but they have not won a trophy since being relegated for their part in the match fixing scandal in 2006 - and currently sit fifth in Serie A.

Conversely, Fulham are enjoying their most successful European campaign in history and Hughes believes a win over the Bianconeri could make everyone sit up and take notice of the west London side.

"It would be a massive scalp," said Hughes, who will lead the side in the absence of the suspended Danny Murphy.

"Maybe they're not in the best form at the moment but that doesn't make a difference as far as we're concerned.

"If we could get something from the two legs and progress then it would be a massive result for us.

"It would definitely stick out in the club's history and a few people across Europe would sit up and take note of the result."

Tonight's game will be the Hughes' 43rd game of the season for Fulham, who have enjoyed cup success domestically as well as in Europe.

The Cottagers face a tough trip to Old Trafford to face Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester United on Sunday before hosting Juve at Craven Cottage in the second leg.

Hughes admits he is starting to feel fatigued but is nevertheless happy to allow his body to get through the remainder of the month on adrenaline.

"Sometimes you get more mentally tired than you do physically," the 30-year-old said.

"But you forget about the tiredness when you've got Juventus on the Thursday followed by Manchester United on a Sunday.

"If someone had told me when I was eight or nine years old that in 20 years' time you'd be playing Juve, Man United and then Juve again, well I wouldn't believe them. It's something that we're all looking forward to."

Fulham yesterday forfeited their right to train at the stadium in an attempt to protect the pitch, which has been covered in heavy snow.

Roy Hodgson's side instead trained indoors at Juventus' training ground and the 62-year-old admits preparations for the match could have been better.

He said: "It will be difficult and will cut up badly but it's not a drawback, not enormously. It can't be that bad. It will be 105 metres long by 68 metres wide so I'll take my chances."

Hodgson will be without Andrew Johnson, John Pantsil and Clint Dempsey (all knee) tonight but welcomes back Paul Konchesky to the starting XI after he recovered from an ankle injury.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6014929,00.html

Trez eyes Euro glory

Juve ace keen to secure Europa League

Last updated: 11th March 2010   

David Trezeguet insists Juventus will be going all out against Fulham in Europa League action to end their trophy drought.

The Italian club have failed to add to their impressive trophy cabinet since winning the Serie A title in 2003.

The club were infamously stripped of their 2005 and 2006 titles following the match-fixing scandal that saw them relegated for the first time in their history.

Juve are now back in Serie A and Trezeguet, who has been with the club since 2000, is keen to end their barren run - starting with the Europa League.

Priority
The Old Lady tackle Fulham in the fourth round of the competition on Thursday evening and the experienced French striker insists the competition is a priority.

"We want to win the Europa League and finish fourth in Serie A to make the Champions League," explained Trezeguet.

"We haven't won anything for years and it is time to show everyone we are still Juventus and a strong squad to be feared over Europe."

White Noise

A Dream Tie

Thursday 11th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Jonathan Greening prepares to face Juventus at the Stadio Olimpico di Torino this evening.

Greening could be in line for a place in starting line-up following Danny Murphy's red card in Fulham's last Europa League game against Shakhtar Donetsk.

"Obviously Danny is the Captain and has been doing really well so it's unfortunate for him," Greening said. "But it gives me a chance to come in and try and do well. He's suspended for this game anyway so I might have a chance of playing.

"We've played against Roma and now Juventus – it's what dreams are made of. I'm really looking forward to it and we'll need to put in a good performance like the boys did against Shakhtar Donetsk. Anything is possible."

Greening took part in Fulham's goalless draw against Tottenham last weekend and with tonight's tie against Juventus closely followed by a trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United - it's certainly a fixture list to envy.

"When you're a kid you dream of playing in these types of games – that's why you play football. Three games like this in a week – it's crazy but we're all looking forward to it immensely," he said.

"We wanted to win last weekend but we're still in the FA Cup so we can't be too down about that result and we've got to go into Thursday game in a positive mind.

"It was nice to get a game at the weekend before we play Juventus and I'll just try and do a good job for the Team.

"Anytime you go to Manchester United, the best club in the world, especially at Old Trafford, you've got to hope everybody performs and get a bit of luck and that's how you get results there."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/GreeningJuvePreview.aspx#ixzz0hrYhaSxx

White Noise

Portsmouth Reserve Match

Thursday 11th March 2010

Fulham FC News

The previously postponed Reserve Team match against Portsmouth will now take place on Thursday 15th April at Motspur Park (kick-off 7pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/PortsmouthReserveMatch.aspx#ixzz0hrYvgoFD

White Noise

Stoke Match Re-arranged

Wednesday 10th March 2010

Fulham FC News

A date has been confirmed for Fulham's home match against Stoke City. The fixture will take place on Wednesday 14th April (kick-off 8pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/StokeMatchRe-arranged.aspx#ixzz0hrZBDTGt

White Noise

Juventus Awaits

Wednesday 10th March 2010

Fulham FC News

The snow was falling when Fulham arrived in Turin on Wednesday afternoon and after the Whites had settled into the Team hotel, Roy Hodgson's side headed to the Juventus training ground for an evening practice session.

Before taking Wednesday night's training, Hodgson spoke to the English and Italian press about this season's remarkable European journey, which now sees Fulham take on the Italian giants Juventus at the Stadio Olimpico di Torino on Thursday night.   

"To reach the last 16 of this Europa League competition, especially considering how many teams started out in the competition, and how many good teams are now in the competition, not least of all after the Champions League teams dropped out, we're really pleased to have got this far and done so well in the previous matches.

"It's a great reward for an exciting European adventure when you get the chance to play a club of Juventus' stature in the last 16. We're all looking forward to it and it's something the Club is rightly proud of. There's no way we're going to be nonchalant about these two matches against Juventus because if we could progress further it would be a magnificent feather in our cap."

Hodgson has taken Fulham from the brink of relegation to the top half of the Barclays Premier League, the Quarter-Final of the FA Cup and the last 16 of the UEFA Europa League, in just two years. It's a quite remarkable achievement and Hodgson paid tribute to his players for their efforts fighting on three fronts this campaign.

"I think that given our position when I came to the Club at the start of 2008, not many people would have given any credence to the fact that we could be this far forward now in our development. Having said that I don't think I ever considered such an event, either positively or negatively. My focus all the time has been to do the best possible job at any given moment.

"We've been fortunate this season that we've been given some very good moments and the Team has responded every time a challenge has been put before them."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/HodgsonJuvePreview.aspx#ixzz0hrZQJEKO