more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (29/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 29, 2011, 07:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Squad sheets: Wigan Athletic v Fulham

Two managers meet at DW Stadium tomorrow grateful for the faith showed in them by their paymasters. Wigan Athletic almost never win but Roberto Martínez's seat remains among the safest in the Premier League, while Martin Jol received a high-profile pat on the back this week when the Fulham owner, Mohamed Al Fayed, described the Dutchman as the manager he always wanted in a tit-for-tat with Mark Hughes. The feeling of bonhomie may dissipate, though; the team which loses this match will end the day in the bottom three. James Callow

Venue DW Stadium

Tickets £15-£22 (0871 66 33 552)

Last season Wigan 1 Fulham 1

Referee M Jones

This season's matches 7 Y31, R3, 4.86 cards per game

Odds Wigan 7-4 Fulham 6-4 Draw 9-4

Wigan Athletic v Fulham: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

Wigan

Subs from Pollitt, McArthur, Sammon, López, Thomas, Gómez, Maloney, Gohouri, Van Aanholt, Stam, Jones, Di Santo

Doubtful McCarthy, Di Santo (both hamstring)

Injured Kirkland (back, 5 Nov)

Suspended None

Form guide LLLLLL

Disciplinary record Y18 R1

Leading scorer Di Santo 3

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Somogyi, Grygera, Kelly, Gecov, Briggs, Etuhu, Frei, Kasami, Dembélé, Ruiz, Trotta, Kacaniklic

Doubtful Senderos (thigh)

Injured Hughes (thigh, 5 Nov), Sa (hamstring, 5 Nov), Davies (knee, Dec)

Suspended None Form guide LLWDDD

Disciplinary record Y21 R0

Leading scorer Johnson, Zamora 3

Match pointers

• There have been only 18 goals scored across the 12 Premier League meetings between these sides

• Wigan have not lost three consecutive home fixtures since November 2007

• Clint Dempsey and Andrew Johnson have both scored five goals in their last eight league appearances against the hosts

• Victor Moses has had more shots on target (26) and off target (17) than any other Wigan player

• Fulham have failed to score in three of their last four Premier League away fixtures

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/28/squad-sheets-wigan-athletic-fulham?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL LOOKS FOR REWARDS

Fulham manager Martin Jol has bemoaned his side's inability to convert their domination of matches into points.

The Cottagers languish 17th in the Barclays Premier League after a frustrating start to the season that has seen them win just once in nine matches.

Fulham travel to fellow strugglers Wigan looking for a positive result and the cutting edge that has often been lacking this season.

"If you look at the stats we probably have more possession, more final entries, more chances than the opponents [in our matches]," Jol said.

"Even defensively we have got good stats, but the only thing is we have to put the ball in the net at the right moments.

"We probably need a moment like Bryan Ruiz's [chip against Everton last week] with that extra quality. We have got those sort of players with that quality.

"If you think about it we have Clint Dempsey - who scored 13 goals last season - Andrew Johnson - who scored a hat-trick the week before - and Bobby Zamora.

"Everybody knows they can score goals and everybody knows Bryan Ruiz can too so we have offensive qualities to do that, but we have to do that now.

"We need to stick to the principles that are good but, as any other manager would do, I will try to add something to this squad [when I can].

"[Most of our gifted players] play up front or in offensive midfield so I feel we should be creative and we try and do that.

"That is what we showed against QPR, for example.

"[We won 6-0 and] everything came together but you have to try to do that all the time."

Their opponents Wigan lie two places lower than Fulham and look set for another battle to stave off relegation to the npower Championship, having secured survival on the final day of last season.

The Latics head into the match on a run of seven straight defeats in all competitions but manager Roberto Martinez retains the backing of chairman Dave Whelan, which Jol believes is vital for any club to succeed.

The Dutchman was also keen to highlight a successful season is based on more than a good start.

"Managers are only an individual so I feel it is important for a club that the people above support," he said.

"But, as I said to the players, last year there was probably 11 or 13 teams trying to avoid relegation.

"I can remember sitting in front of my screen and seeing Blackpool, who I think were in the top seven, and Birmingham, who were probably in the top 10 and doing well, go down.

"The only team I could have said would go down was West Ham because they were in the bottom four the whole time.

"It is a long season and you need results. If your home record is not good, you need four or five wins away from home.

"There is still time to do that but we need to start quickly. We need results and all the other teams need results.

"Just because we are in the bottom four now does not mean we have to be there at the end of the season or Christmas.

"Fulham was not doing well before January [last season] and after that they found some wins and they were fine."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/28/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

Wigan v Fulham

Wigan are looking for a win as they tackle Fulham at DW Stadium, but will be wary of the Cottagers, who are in a similar position.

Both teams are in the danger zone with second from bottom Wigan looking to avoid a seventh defeat on the trot, while Fulham could find themselves joining their opponents if they suffer a third straight defeat.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez will want leading goalscorer Franco Di Santo and midfielder James McCarthy fit to play as both players missed the Latics' 1-0 defeat to Newcastle with hamstring problems.

The pair joined goalkeeper Chris Kirkland - who is recovering from a back problem after returning from Doncaster on loan - in training with the rest of the squad this week.

Defender Aaron Hughes is sidelined for Fulham as the 31 year-old former Northern Ireland international is out for two weeks with a thigh injury he suffered in last week's 3-1 defeat to Everton.

Hughes misses the trip to DW Stadium and will most probably sit out next weekend's visit of Tottenham as well.

Defender Philippe Senderos will have his thigh injury assessed, while Orlando Sa (hamstring) and Simon Davies (knee) are both out long-term.

Martin Jol's men have earned one point from their last four away matches but Wigan have been dismal in attack, scoring only six goals in nine matches.

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14287_7271828,00.html?

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic – Fulham Preview: Moment of truth for Roberto's men

Rarely does a game of such importance rear its head this early in a season. Wigan Athletic have now lost seven games in a row. The last time results were that bad, Dave Whelan moved swiftly to relieve Chris Hutchings of his managerial duties. Times have changed, and while there is no chance Roberto will suffer a similar fate, he must be feeling the pressure. This match is as crucial as they come, an absolute cup final.

Thankfully, it's against a struggling Fulham side who are notoriously poor away from home. They're in rotten form, sitting only two places above Latics in the league table with only two points more to their name. They too, have only won a single match so far, also against QPR, who have ironically left us both behind and sit comfortably in the dizzying heights of 10th place. While Roberto finally has a full squad to choose from, Martin Jol has a couple injury concerns in defense, with Aaron Hughes missing out and Philippe Senderos doubtful. Simon Davies is also still out with a knee injury.

All this said, Fulham are one of those teams we seem to find tricky. Theoretically, they should be one of those mid-table teams that we might lose to away but expect to beat at home. But our last five meetings at the DW/JJB have ended in draws, and more often than not, Clint Dempsey scores.

In addition to Clint, Latics will have to keep an eye on Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson, Moussa Dembele, and big-money Costa Rican Bryan Ruiz, who is starting to click after a slow start, scoring a stunning lobbed strike against Everton last week. The Cottagers always hard to break down and play at a high tempo, though Martin Jol's approach is more continental than both Roy Hodgson's and Mark Hughes' were.

Meanwhile, the Wigan camp has been strangely energized by last week's 1-0 loss to Newcastle. It will be interesting to see if Martinez sticks to the same XI who performed so well, particularly in the first half, or re-introduces Franco Di Santo and James McCarthy to the lineup. Albert Crusat and Dave Jones both performed well at St. James' and would deserve a repeat start. Di Santo has done nothing wrong, but there is little doubt Rodallega is more likely to score if deployed in the centre-forward role.

And James McCarthy has not been himself, but would add a bucket of energy as a second half substitute.

The fixture list over the festive period does not look kind. We have yet to face Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, which means we must play them twice, and Man City and Spurs each another time. So results must come soon. Seven points from Fulham, Wolves, and Blackburn should put things back on track, but three of them must come tomorrow.

Good luck lads, let this be the turning point we've been waiting for.

Heart says: 2-1, Rodallega and Moses to get off the mark for Latics, and who else but Clint Dempsey for the visitors.

Mind says: 1-0, Rodallega.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/wiganathletic/archives/2011/10/wigan_athletic_fulham_preview.php?

WhiteJC

Cottagers boss looks for rewards

Fulham manager Martin Jol has bemoaned his side's inability to convert their domination of matches into points.

The Cottagers languish 17th in the Premier League after a frustrating start to the season that has seen them win just once in nine matches.

Fulham travel to fellow strugglers Wigan on Saturday looking for a positive result and the cutting edge that has often been lacking this season.

"If you look at the stats we probably have more possession, more final entries, more chances than the opponents [in our matches]," Jol said.

"Even defensively we have got good stats, but the only thing is we have to put the ball in the net at the right moments.

"We probably need a moment like Bryan Ruiz's [chip against Everton last week] with that extra quality. We have got those sort of players with that quality.

"If you think about it we have Clint Dempsey - who scored 13 goals last season - Andrew Johnson - who scored a hat-trick the week before - and Bobby Zamora.

"Everybody knows they can score goals and everybody knows Bryan Ruiz can too so we have offensive qualities to do that, but we have to do that now.

"We need to stick to the principles that are good but, as any other manager would do, I will try to add something to this squad [when I can].

"[Most of our gifted players] play up front or in offensive midfield so I feel we should be creative and we try and do that.

"That is what we showed against QPR, for example.

"[We won 6-0 and] everything came together but you have to try to do that all the time."

Their opponents Wigan lie two places lower than Fulham and look set for another battle to stave off relegation to the npower Championship, having secured survival on the final day of last season.

The Latics head into the match on a run of seven straight defeats in all competitions but manager Roberto Martinez retains the backing of chairman Dave Whelan, which Jol believes is vital for any club to succeed.

The Dutchman was also keen to highlight a successful season is based on more than a good start.

"Managers are only an individual so I feel it is important for a club that the people above support," he said.

"But, as I said to the players, last year there was probably 11 or 13 teams trying to avoid relegation.

"I can remember sitting in front of my screen and seeing Blackpool, who I think were in the top seven, and Birmingham, who were probably in the top 10 and doing well, go down.

"The only team I could have said would go down was West Ham because they were in the bottom four the whole time.

"It is a long season and you need results. If your home record is not good, you need four or five wins away from home.

"There is still time to do that but we need to start quickly. We need results and all the other teams need results.

"Just because we are in the bottom four now does not mean we have to be there at the end of the season or Christmas.

"Fulham was not doing well before January [last season] and after that they found some wins and they were fine."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7271887/Cottagers-boss-looks-for-rewards?

WhiteJC

WIGAN v FULHAM
FEARING THE WORST FOR LATICS

I find writing about Wigan these days quite a tricky task. While I admire Roberto Martinez, his ideals and his willingness, in the face of adversity, to stick by them, I fear the worst for them this season.

The loss of Charles N'Zogbia has left Martinez bereft of that bit of quality that could turn games in their advantage. Victor Moses looks like he will be a very good player, but currently lacks the consistency that is needed at his level.

Luckily for The Latics they face an equally poor side in Martin Jol's Fulham this weekend. It's a game that the home team really must win or else risk becoming detached from their fellow relegation scrappers.

Aside from their freak - and it really was an anomaly of gross proportions - 6-0 win over QPR three weeks ago, The Cottagers have looked well off the pace this season. Especially so away from home where they have failed to find the net in three of their four Premier League games.

My admiration of Wigan is starting to wear thin but at odds of 3.15, on their home patch, to beat a poor Fulham side I think they are worth the risk associated.

Match Odds:
Wigan 3.15, Fulham 2.54, The Draw 3.35

Recommended Bet:
Back Wigan to beat Fulham @ 3.15

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11121712.php?

WhiteJC

Wigan v Fulham Preview

Wigan - Fulham : 29.10.11 / 15:00
Home Win : 19/10   Draw : 11/5   Away Win : 29/20

It`s back on the road as we resume our Premier League campaign. The pressure is starting to build as we contemplate having won only one of our last ten games, Couple that with the fact we`ve plunged towards the relegation zone and that our away form is nothing short of cataclysmic and you can see why this fixture, with Wigan being no great shakes, is looking like a crucial one.

Vital Quotes:
Perhaps the reason why we`re perceived to be struggling is our lack of cutting edge.

In his pre-match press conference, Martin Jol has spoken about exactly that, remarking,

'If you look at the stats we probably have more possession, more final entries, more chances than the opponents [in our matches]."

'Even defensively we have got good stats, but the only thing is we have to put the ball in the net at the right moments."

'We probably need a moment like Bryan Ruiz's [chip against Everton last week] with that extra quality. We have got those sort of players with that quality."

'If you think about it we have Clint Dempsey - who scored 13 goals last season - Andrew Johnson - who scored a hat-trick the week before - and Bobby Zamora."

'Everybody knows they can score goals and everybody knows Bryan Ruiz can too so we have offensive qualities to do that, but we have to do that now."

'We need to stick to the principles that are good but, as any other manager would do, I will try to add something to this squad [when I can]. "

'[Most of our gifted players] play up front or in offensive midfield so I feel we should be creative and we try and do that. "

'That is what we showed against QPR, for example. "

'[We won 6-0 and] everything came together but you have to try to do that all the time.'
Will it come together tomorrow?

Wigan Team News:
Roberto Martinez will be hoping that two of his stars are able to make a return after hamstring problems.

Franco Di Santo and James McCarthy both missed the 1-0 defeat by Newcastle.

Martinez will be hoping that his Columbian international, Hugo Rodallega, can get on the score sheet. Having been the club`s top scorer the last two campaigns, he`s yet to get off the mark this season. Please, not against us!
Player to watch: James McCarthy
A youngster tipped to go all the way an done that will need paying close attention to.

Fulham Team News:
Martin Jol takes his squad to the DW Stadium eager to collect the three points available. Bu the Dutchman has problems in defensive areas with Aaron Hughes ruled out with a thigh injury and Philippe Senderos also rated as doubtful with a similar problem.

Orlando Sa, who pulled a hamstring out in Krakow some ten days ago, is also out as is Simon Davies who is on the slow road to recovery after overcoming a bad injury.

Moussa Dembele, currently serving a ban in Europe, is available for selection.
Player to watch: Bobby Zamora
After his horrific late miss, last time out against Everton, Bobby will be hoping to get back to scoring ways at a ground where we must surely be looking at taking all three points.

Match Facts & Stats
Somebody has pointed out that goals are at a premium when these two sides meet, apparently only 18 goals have been scored in the 12 meetings in the Premier League.

Wigan enter the fixture on an awful run of 6 consecutive defeats to plant them firmly in the relegation zone.

Fulham`s recent form isn`t much better with only 1 win in the last 10 games.

Come Saturday evening one side will be infinitely more pleased than the other, unless it ends all-square!

Match Prediction:
It gets harder and harder to predict an away win for Fulham, in the Premier League. Disappointment after disappointment tends to be the trend on the road, so can this trip be any different? Of course it can, Wigan are there for the taking, six defeats on the trot have seen their moral dented and if we maintain some sort of composure I`m taking us to surprise a few pundits and steal a narrow win!

Next Fixtures:
The Europa League beckons in midweek when we entertain Wisla Krakow, next weekend we have a tasty home encounter with Spurs to look forward to.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=260637#ixzz1c9U0pnL3

WhiteJC

Jol: Stockdale in my plans

Fulham boss Martin Jol has insisted goalkeeper David Stockdale will not be sold on a permanent basis to Ipswich.

The 26-year old went on loan to Portman Road for the remainder of the season to get some minutes under his belt, after being kept out of the Fulham side by Mark Schwarzer.

Jol does believe the player, who has been called up twice by England, does have a future at Craven Cottage.

"He's part of our plans, but I've got another great goalkeeper who's one of the best," he told the Fulham Chronicle.

"He's our player. We identified him and took him, so hopefully everybody's happy in the future."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-stockdale-in-my-plans-1322467.html?

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic vs Fulham Match Preview

Wigan and Fulham will clash at the DW Stadium with both teams looking to climb away from the bottom of the table.

Wigan currently occupy the relegation zone after losing all of their last six Premier League games, while Fulham are two points further ahead after winning only one game so far this season.

Leading goal scorer Franco Di Santo and James McCarthy should be fit to play for Wigan, while Mohamed Diame will also play. French midfielder Diame has scored Wigan's only two goals in their last four games.

Orlando Sa and Simon Davies are sidelined with injury for Fulham, while Aaron Hughes is also ruled out due to a thigh problem.

Philippe Senderos is struggling with a thigh injury for Fulham and will be assessed ahead of kickoff.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/214081/wigan-athletic-vs-fulham/_preview?

WhiteJC

Sailing Choppy Waters

Ever questioned how much managers earn? See the heckling get under Mick's skin at Wolves, Kean can't walk the streets of Blackburn, and Martin's still searching for the right chemistry at Fulham.

Three poor results on the spin has caused me to ponder long and hard as to what direction we're headed. There's not many more weeks for Martin to present that bluff response to results at the final whistle and get away with it. Privately, is he worried? I'm damn sure he is. Maybe less so at the lack of points, we are not yet into November and two wins would see us quickly back into mid-table territory.

The problem that Jol has inherited is of a fine Fulham side now coming to the end of its natural cycle. It's time to rebuild. This transitional period is going to be uncomfortable, and dictate how Jol's time at FFC is to be judged. We have all seen or heard talk of great talent on the fringes of our first team. But who is ready to take the big step up and perform week in and week out in the toughest league in the world?

Yes, I tire of the self-interest suits telling us we are lucky to watch the best league in the world - it's not. But I would suggest with our crowded programme and atavistic approach to the game that 38 game stretch can be pretty demanding. Especially when you have madmen like Alan Hutton looking to boot you up in the air! In these precarious financial times the stakes are so high. Fulham fans are glum just at the thought of having to settle for a place in the bottom half. Maybe we need to lower our expectations for a season.

What must Arsenal followers feel when their revered manager tells the AGM the limit of their ambition is to finish 4th. Considering Arsene was sitting alongside the massive personal wealth of Usmanov and Kroenke, I trust both tycoons squirmed when reminded from the floor the four clubs alongside the Gunners in the eltite list - Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have all signed a player for £30 million, while Arsenal have never gone beyond 15. Hicks and Gillett also found buying your way to the title took more than they were willing to spend.

It's all coming right for Man City. Their demolition of the Reds sounds a profound changing of the guard in football's heirarchy. But it's taken three seasons of oil money to get them to the pinnacle. From now until January I fear Fulham results will be as unpredictable as my golf swing. Let's be honest, there are certainly three worse sides than us in this league. The new boys are punching above their weight, and all credit to them for their approach, but I reckon we'll claw our way above all three by next spring.

But who knows what the starting eleven will look like by then? We are going to have to bite the bullet and shift some of the stalwarts aside. Jol cannot be blind to that with his long experience. In the short term I see Riise and Duff relegated to the bench. Both seem to be struggling to keep up with the pace. In Krakow we had a rare 2nd half corner on the right. Duff pinged it in too low. The first defender played it straight out of the box and we were short at the back as Wisla broke at speed. Hangeland got back in time to hustle the ball, which went safe into touch near our own corner on the left. As play broke down Duff was only just puffing up to the edge of our 'D.'

As for Riise, most fans now sense why Roma were happy to offload the Norwegian. If he no longer has the legs to get to the by-line it's time for Matty to claim the left-back slot as first choice. Even if he makes mistakes, he can only get better. And he at present looks the more aggressive coming forward.

Midfield of course is where games are won and lost - and must be Jol's biggest headache. Those boots of Murphy's are going to take some filling, and I genuinely can't see who is presently up to the job. This position should have been addressed in the summer. Now we have two months to soldier on with what we have before the next window. In the meantime, Jol must pray for some big performances around our skipper that allows Danny's survival for a short while longer. Getting caught in possession deep in his own half as he was for Everton's opener is a clarion call Jol will surely have heeded.

Looking back to Sunday's game, as both managers admitted, it was Fulham who fully deserved to win. Only Bobby knows what went through his mind when blazing into the crowd, what happened after that, with two pieces of very slack defending, just left me numb. The hugh plus was finally seeing a glimpse of the real talent Bryan has at his disposal. For a comparison, from the same position in the box it would never enter Dembele's head to try something so sublime. He is another heading to the bench anytime soon. I don't get anything like the bigger picture our gaffer sees of the players around training, but I desperately want to see Frei given a chance to come good.

As to our front two. People seem to forget that Bobby and AJ have never gelled for Fulham. Why should it start now? Bobby needs a clever player close to him. Gera used to be that man, the returning Simon Davies might be the figure he needs now? As for AJ's future, Jol is right not to offer him more than a year extension. I wouldn't offer him that. He will be gone in January.

The history books tell us Fulham don't win at Wigan, even though we always think we should. We could well be bottom three by Monday, and then come Spurs. November and December could easily be as bleak as last year, so what to do in the meantime? Whoever pulls on the shirt, we need to raise the level of urgency. We need to work the keepers more. Shot quotas from forward players should be logged and analyzed. We badly need some free-kick routines that work and Brede has to run from deep on set plays and not meet the ball from a standing position being mercilessly jostled by bodies. I've been suggesting this forever.

What the team need from us is a reality check and a bit of patience. We've been through worse together. A generous rub of the green must come our way soon. If this is to be a season of transition that sees us retain our status and emerge the stronger so be it.

Which brings me to our ex-manager Mr. Hughes and his press comments. Now Mark has taken a few broadsides for his attitude, but I sense the truth lies somewhere between Hughes' comments and the club's position. Examine Mark's career as a player, where he played with real ferocity at the highest level - England, Spain and Germany. He felt, rightly, he'd done a fine job with a 'small' club in Blackburn, and although he couldn't dilute the right formula quickly enough at Citeh, there were plenty of factors working against him at the time, not least the attitude of the players. He didn't set out to make friends at Fulham, and for a club enamoured of fatherly Roy's wise ways, was perhaps too abrasive for his own good.

But I'm sure he wasn't just down in SW6 to mark time. Money has long since meant nothing to him. Life's winners take a positive approach to anything they tackle. Muhammed Ali used to voice a life-affirming commerical on American TV. So what if you drive a dumpster and haul trash it ran, 'do that job the best you can, and then you can aspire to something better.'

If Mark demanded some serious dosh to transform Fulham into a genuine force, instead of a side still unable to get past the likes of Everton, Wolves and Blackburn, who are we casting as the villain?

Come on boys, surprise us all and let's have that win off Wigan to make up for Sunday. COYW!

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/10/sailing_choppy_waters.php?

WhiteJC

Interest in Halliche
Clubs keen on Algerian stopper

A number of Championship clubs are understood to be keen on Fulham defender Raffick Halliche.

The Algerian international joined The Cottagers last summer when they paid Benfica more than £1million for his services.

But he has been limited to just one Carling Cup appearance since the move, and he is now looking at his options.

He signed for Premier League Swansea City on transfer deadline day, but the move was cancelled as Fifa ruled it was not completed in time.

Now it is understood Brighton, Burnley and Hull City are all considering making a move for the 25-year-old.

"I want to play first team football for sure and need to found that opportunity to do that, hopefully that will materialise," Halliche told skysports.com.

Swansea are also believed to maintain an interest in Halliche and could make a fresh move for him in January.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7272324/?

WhiteJC

9 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW: WIGAN ATHLETIC VS FULHAM

Wigan host Fulham after their sixth successive Barclays Premier League defeat to Newcastle last weekend

Wigan covered 108.331km in that game, and David Jones covered most ground for the second successive game with 11.831km

Despite their poor run, Wigan have some high performing players in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index. Defender Maynor Figueroa and midfielder Ben Watson are the top two tacklers, having won 39 and 29, 91% and 81% of all attempted respectively

Watson has also made more interceptions than any other player with 23

Victor Moses continues his unlucky streak in front of goal – no other player in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index has had so many shots on target (17) without scoring.

Moses has now had 26 attempts at goal in total without a goal.

Fulham suffered a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Everton last weekend, covering 115.108km in the process

Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey has troubled goalkeepers more than any other midfielder so far this season, getting 18 attempts on target from 29 efforts overall and scoring twice

Damien Duff also continues to threaten the box and has put in 31 crosses so far, the fifth highest in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index

Bryan Ruiz scored his first goal for Fulham in the Barclays Premier Legaue against Everton. The striker had previously had four attempts at goal in 123 minutes of Premier League action

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/10/premiership/9-things-you-need-to-know-wigan-athletic-vs-fulham?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29

WhiteJC

BRYAN RUIZ'S FLYIN' AT FUL PELT

BRYAN RUIZ is ready for lift-off now that he has broken his goal duck for Fulham.

The Costa Rica star hit the target as Fulham lost 3-1 at home to Everton last ­weekend.

It was his first goal for the Cottagers following his £10.6m move from FC Twente in the summer.

Boss Martin Jol was ­delighted to see his flagship signing get off the mark for the season and has backed him to shine once more at Wigan today.

He said: "You could say that his goal against Everton was a sign for everybody else. I knew what he is capable of.

"He has an excellent quality of setting up goals and can also score goals.

"It can take time to settle in. I felt like I had to protect ­Bryan and he realises that.

"There was too much ­pressure on him. He was not an English player and he needs to know that it is not only about scoring and setting up goals.

"He is a midfielder, not a ­striker. In Holland, he scored more goals than any other midfield player.

"When he came here, people thought he was a striker, but he is a ­midfield player. He can play wide or can play as an ­offensive midfielder.

"It is a cliche – 'welcome to the Premier League' – but on the other hand, it is the reality. But I know he can cope with that.

"It was a relief that he scored, even though I knew it would come, but you never knew how long it would take.

"He can fill the gap ­between Bobby ­Zamora and Andy ­Johnson and my midfield."

Jol has a problem with his centre-backs Aaron Hughes and Philippe ­Senderos, who both have thigh injuries.

He added: "Aaron ­Hughes has an old ­injury. He is not injury prone but he has had that injury ­before.

"We think he could be out for a couple of weeks.

"Senderos is also a doubt with his thigh. He played against Millwall (in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Tuesday) but left training on ­Thursday because we did not want to take a risk with him."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/218090/Bryan-Ruiz-s-flyin-at-Ful-pelt/?

WhiteJC

Halloween Retail Offer

Saturday's Halloween offer features Billy the Badger, and you can buy the 17" Soft Toy Replica of him for just £9.99! Billy is dressed up in his favourite Fulham kit, complete with the famous "Billy 79" printed across the back of his shirt.

Billy is well known for his mischievous tricks, so don't miss this one of a kind treat because on Sunday the offer will rise back to £14.99!

Keep checking the Fulham shop's Halloween section as we continue our countdown to Halloween by bringing you even more offers. Happy Halloween!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/October/HalloweenRetailOfferSaturday.aspx?#ixzz1c9WtUuHw

WhiteJC

Wigan    v    Fulham

By Martin Fisher
Match of the Day commentator

Barclays Premier League
Venue: DW Stadium Date: Saturday, 29 October Kick-off: 1500 BST Coverage: Watch highlights on Match of the Day; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez is confident that leading scorer Franco Di Santo and midfielder James McCarthy will be able to play against Fulham.

Both players missed last week's 1-0 defeat by Newcastle with hamstring problems but have since returned to training.

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes has been ruled out with a thigh injury.

Philippe Senderos is a doubt with a similar problem, while Orlando Sa and Simon Davies are sidelined.

MATCH PREVIEW
I must admit I've been a bit spoilt for goals on the TV gantry this season - 11 in the last week at Molineux amply demonstrates my point - but I fear this fixture will bring me crashing back down to earth.

You see, historically Wigan Athletic and Fulham just don't produce goals when they meet in the Premier League. The bare stats make grim reading, 18 goals between them in 12 games. That must be some kind of record?

Of course, records are there to be broken and quite frankly Wigan are in desperate need of a win. Six defeats in a row leaves them stuck in the relegation zone with only Blackburn below them. Roberto Martinez is never a man to panic but he needs some more points on the board, quickly. A goal or two from Hugo Rodallega wouldn't go amiss. Top scorer for the last two seasons, the Colombian international is yet to find the net in this campaign.

It's only a month ago that I saw Fulham put six past QPR at Craven Cottage. Amazingly it's their only win of the campaign. Successive defeats since sees them sitting just a point above Wigan in the table. Wayward finishing cost them dear last Sunday against Everton as they somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

That kind of result can leave a scar on a team's confidence, Fulham need to cleanse it quickly while Wigan must strive to add another painful wound of their own.

I reckon 3-3. Who's with me ..... anyone?

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Fulham are unbeaten in their last nine league matches in this fixture (W3, D6).
However, they haven't won at Wigan in 11 attempts (D8, L3) since a third-tier victory in September 1992.
This fixture has only been won by the away side once in the last 25 league and cup meetings: a 1-0 Premier League victory for Wigan in October 2006

Wigan
The Latics have lost their last six league matches and only scored three goals in that time. They are on their longest run of defeats since an eight-match barren spell from September to November 2007.
They have scored the fewest goals (six) in the top flight this season.
Robert Martinez's side have lost all five matches in which they conceded the opening goal.
Wigan have only managed one point from their four previous matches against bottom-half-of-the-table opposition.
Only Franco di Santo, Mohamed Diame and Ben Watson have scored for the club this season - fewer different goalscorers than any other club in the division.

Fulham
A third successive league defeat would represent Fulham's worst sequence in 19 months.
They have yet to win in five attempts against bottom-half opponents this season (D3, L2).
Damien Duff needs one goal to total 50 in the Premier League.
If Clint Dempsey scores he will equal Brian McBride's record of 36 Premier League goals by an American. Dempsey has scored a career five league goals against Wigan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15413397.stm?

WhiteJC

Lawro's prediction

Wigan v Fulham
Fulham were extremely unlucky not to get anything from their game against Everton last week - Bobby Zamora's missed chance when the score was 1-1 turned out to be massive.

Wigan were unfortunate too. They fought and played really well against Newcastle and thoroughly deserved to get something at St James' Park - but didn't, again.

This is what Wigan do. They have a few bad results and poor performances and you think they are in big trouble but then they come up with a really strong display. They just need to get used to being either in the relegation zone or just above it this season, and make sure they pick up points when they do play well.

Prediction: 2-0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/15475781.stm

WhiteJC

NO BRYAN RUIZ CRISIS NOW SAYS MARTIN JOL

MARTIN JOL is confident Bryan Ruiz will live up to his top billing now he has opened his scoring account for Fulham.

Costa Rica international Ruiz, who cost Fulham £10.6million from FC Twente in the summer, scored a superb goal in the Cottagers' 3-1 defeat by Everton last weekend.

Now Jol is backing him to shine again against Wigan today.

Jol said: "You could say that his goal against Everton was a sign for everybody else – I knew what he is capable of. He has an excellent quality of setting up goals and can also score goals.

"It can take time to settle in. I felt like I had to protect Bryan. There was too much pressure on him as he was not an English player.

"He needs to know that it is not only about scoring and setting up goals. He is a midfielder, not a striker.

"In Holland, he scored more goals than any other midfield player.

"When he came here, people thought he was a striker but he can play out wide or as an offensive midfielder.

"It is a cliche – 'Welcome to the Premiership' – but on the other hand it is the reality. I knew he would cope with that, though it was a relief that he scored.

"He's not a pacey player. It is about his vision and his ability to play the killer pass. He can fill the gap between Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson and my midfield."

Jol has a problem in central defence with Aaron Hughes out of today's game with a thigh injury and Philippe Senderos doubtful with a similar problem.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/280470/No-Bryan-Ruiz-crisis-now-says-Martin-Jol?