more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (03/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 03, 2011, 06:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham primed for Europa win

FULHAM goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is confident his side can convert its Premier League form into a Europa League win at home early tomorrow Melbourne time.

Fulham hosts Wisla Krakow at Craven Cottage, needing a positive result to keep qualification from group K in its own hands.

Schwarzer played a key role in his side's first away win of the domestic season, an important 2-0 victory at Wigan on Saturday.

It wasn't always pretty, but the veteran stopper was impressed with his side's clinical edge in attack.

''That definitely wasn't our best performance but I think there were patches in the game where we played well,'' he said.

Fulham suffered a 1-0 defeat when it last clashed with Wisla two weeks ago.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/fulham-primed-for-europa-win-20111102-1mvmx.html#ixzz1ccYUV9p5

WhiteJC

Harry Redknapp expected to take charge of Tottenham against Fulham at weekend after undergoing minor heart surgery
The club have confirmed that the procedure to unblock coronary arteries has been successful and the manager will be discharged in the next 48 hours

Harry Redknapp is expected to return to the Tottenham dugout for Sunday's trip to Fulham after undergoing minor heart surgery on Wednesday.

The Spurs manager, 64, was taken to a private London hospital on Tuesday night and had a coronary angioplasty operation on Wednesday to relieve a minor blockage in his arteries.

Tottenham released a statement on Wednesday afternoon to confirm that Redknapp's surgery had gone according to plan.
"The club can report that earlier today Harry successfully had two stents inserted to unblock coronary arteries," the statement said. "He is in excellent spirits and due to be discharged from hospital in the next 48 hours."

Chairman Daniel Levy added: "We are delighted the operation went so smoothly and successfully. Knowing Harry he will want to rush back, but it's important that he only does so when he has recovered properly."

Redknapp said: "I feel fine. I'm hoping I can be back at work in a couple of days."

Tottenham first gave notice that Redknapp would undergo surgery on Tuesday night when they revealed he had been booked in for "a medical procedure" that would rule him out of the club's Europa League trip to Rubin Kazan. Spurs have flown to Russia ahead of the match on Thursday evening.

According to the British Heart Foundation (BHF), a coronary angioplasty  is a technique for treating coronary heart disease and angina, helping to improve blood supply to the heart muscle. Most patients can go home the same day or the next day and most people find that they are "back to normal after a few days", the BHF website says.

Assistant manager Kevin Bond and first-team coach Joe Jordan will take charge of the team against Rubin Kazan. Group A leaders Spurs travel to Russia with a two-point cushion over POAK Salonika, knowing a victory would guarantee their place in the knockout stages.

Although the club have not divulged when Redknapp is to return to the dugout, Goal.com understands that the former West Ham and Portsmouth manager expects to take charge of Spurs' Premier League match against Fulham on Sunday.

Redknapp lives in the Dorset resort of Sandbanks and makes the 250-mile round trip to the club's training ground most days along with Bond, although he does also stay in a hotel in Canary Wharf a couple of nights a week.

The former Portsmouth manager, who has been in charge of Spurs for three years, admitted in March 2010 that he had started talking heart pills upon the advice of his doctors, but stressed it was not a major problem.

Writing in his newspaper column, Redknapp then said: "About a year ago I needed to take heart pills and I am still taking them regularly... I am absolutely fine and have no worries about my health but this game can make the most mild-mannered of people explode as when you are sitting on the bench you get eaten up inside from first to last whistle."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/11/02/2739498/harry-redknapp-expected-to-take-charge-of-tottenham-against?

WhiteJC

AJ wants fresh Fulham approach

Fulham striker Andy Johnson believes his team-mates may need to start doing some play-acting themselves in Europe.

The Cottagers entertain Wisla Krakow in Europa League Group K on Thursday two weeks after they suffered a 1-0 defeat in Poland.

Fulham were hindered by Moussa Dembele's first-half dismissal with Johnson accusing Wisla's Gervasio Nunez of influencing the referee.

Johnson believes the home side need to be clever and he feels that doing a bit of simulation themselves might make things fairer for all.

"I think we'll have to approach the game at our place differently," said Johnson. "There's nothing we can do about the ref.

"But I think you need to be careful. You need to be a bit wiser in Europe. That's always been the case.

"There's a lot of diving, a lot of play-acting going on. We've just got to be clever.

"Maybe we need to do it a bit ourselves just to keep up with these teams and make things fair."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7287157/AJ-wants-fresh-Fulham-approach?

WhiteJC

Cottagers set for winger talks

Fulham are battling with Serie A outfit Atalanta for the signature of Swedish Under-21 winger Mervan Celik in the January window.

Fulham's Scandanavian scout was in Gothenburg last month to watch the 21-year-old score for GAIS against IFK in the derby and his report has sparked off some interest in the player - who is out of contract next year.

Atalanta have also been closely linked with the player in recent weeks but Swedish sources claim his agent will travel to London this week for talks with two mystery clubs.

However, his agent, Hasan Cetinyaka has denied that the trip is planned and was quick to dismiss the stories about Fulham's interest.

He said: "I can not confirm that it is even Fulham. There may be two others. Perhaps Tottenham and Arsenal. It could be Everton."

Cetinyaka added that he will not influence Celik over his next move.

"It is up to Mervan himself," he said.

"He is speaking to people and thinking about the club selection right now. But he will not sign for any club this week."

Fulham development squad member Alexander Kacaniklic is a member of the Swedish Under-21 squad alongside Celik.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-set-for-winger-talks-1327095.html?#.TrI0G2AlE98

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on new Swedish starlet

Fulham are battling with Serie A outfit Atalanta for the signature of Swedish Under-21 winger Mervan Celik in the January window.

Fulham's Scandanavian scout was in Gothenburg last month to watch the 21-year-old score for GAIS against IFK in the derby and his report has sparked off some interest in the player - who is out of contract next year.

Atalanta have also been closely linked with the player in recent weeks but Swedish sources claim his agent will travel to London this week for talks with two mystery clubs.

However, his agent, Hasan Cetinyaka has denied that the trip is planned and was quick to dismiss the stories about Fulham's interest.

He said: "I can not confirm that it is even Fulham. There may be two others. Perhaps Tottenham and Arsenal. It could be Everton."

Cetinyaka added that he will not influence Celik over his next move.

"It is up to Mervan himself," he said.

"He is speaking to people and thinking about the club selection right now. But he will not sign for any club this week."

Fulham development squad member Alexander Kacaniklic is a member of the Swedish Under-21 squad alongside Celik.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-keen-on-new-swedish-starlet-1327095.html?

WhiteJC

Game preview - Wisla Krakow (h)

Unless inconsistency yet again grabs ahold of our mid-season and strangles all passable life out of it, the visit of Wisla Krakow on Thursday night should be one to enjoy and one to gaze upon with a comparative feeling of safety. It could even be one where Jol's outlandish promise of total football actually comes to fruition - but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

A win isn't a given when we take on our Polish opponents in the 20:05 kick off, but if the word 'revenge' sits in the vocabulary of merely half our men, then surely the sheer presence of Gervasio Nunez on our humble Craven Cottage turf will provide stimulus enough get one over our group K rivals.

Alas, revenge isn't always enough.

Perhaps a move for Diego Milito is a somewhat uncouth one, but it shows a degree of self belief and such a sentiment is something we certainly lacked in our visit to Wisla barely two weeks ago. While the sending off of Moussa Dembele was unwarranted and controversial at best, Jol's men weren't up to the job and a draw would have been fortunate - if not a little flattering.

Arguably, then, the yet more fortunate away win at Wigan on Saturday will have done the Cottagers a boundless number of favours at it has instilled a sense that winning ugly is still a plausibility. We're not quite invincible yet, but we're on our way there.

And while we've looked at stabilising our domestic season while sandwiching European non-dramas, Wisla have set about proving that away form is one of their undeniable strengths. The Polish side have won two away games on the bounce, before falling at home in the League to TS Podbeskidzie Bielsko-Biała

Wisla have few injury worries, but the visitor's Osman Chavez will join Moussa Dembele in watching from the sidelines after both were sent off in the first leg.

Aaron Hughes and Orlando Sa will more-than-likely miss out through injury.

Predicted Line-up: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Senderos, Baird; Dempsey, Murphy, Sidwell, Duff; Zamora, Johnson

Score prediction: Fulham 2 - 0 Wisla Krakow

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/11/2/2532547/game-preview-wisla-krakow-h?

WhiteJC

JOL TO NAME STRONG FULHAM SIDE

Fulham manager Martin Jol will name a strong side for Thursday's Europa League Group K tie with Wisla Krakow.

The Cottagers will be looking to avoid a repeat of their 1-0 defeat in Poland, although they will be without Moussa Dembele.

The Belgium international was sent off in the away tie so is banned for Thursday's match and is joined on the sidelines by Orlando Sa (hamstring). Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes (both thigh) are out.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Grygera, Briggs, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/02/SOCCER_Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Inside Fulham Podcast

In the latest edition of the Inside Fulham Podcast, Martin Jol and Clint Dempsey look back on the win over Wigan.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/PostWiganPodcast.aspx?#ixzz1ccacFeU6

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wisla Krakow preview
Team news for Thursday night's Europa League clash between Fulham and Wisla Krakow at Craven Cottage (8.05pm).

Dembele: Suspended for Wisla Krakow clash

Fulham manager Martin Jol will name a strong side for the Group K tie.

The Cottagers will be looking to avoid a repeat of their 1-0 defeat in Poland, although they will be without Moussa Dembele.

The Belgium international was sent off in the away tie so is banned for Thursday's match and is joined on the sidelines by Orlando Sa (hamstring). Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes (both thigh) are out.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Grygera, Briggs, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora.

http://www.football365.com/match/3447365/preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol on a revenge mission against Wisla Krakow

Zamora, Johnson, Hangeland and Schwarzer all named in the squad

Fulham manager Martin Jol will be looking for revenge in tomorrows Europa League Group K tie with Wisla Krakow.

The Cottagers lost 1-0 defeat in Poland, although they will be without Mousa Dembele,

The Belgium international was sent off in Poland so is banned for tomorrows match and Orlando Sa (hamstring), Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes (both thigh) are out with injuries.

Squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Grygera, Briggs, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_jol_on_a_revenge_mission_against_wisla_krakow_1_1115578

WhiteJC

Jol won't accept play-acting

Martin Jol insists no Fulham player would play act in the same way that saw Moussa Dembele sent off against Wisla Krakow last month.

The incident occurred when an innocuous passage of play flared up in Poland, with Dembele pushing over Wisla's Gervasio Nunez after he caught him on the back of the ankle.

The Argentinian midfielder went down clutching his face despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading referee Martin Hansson to hand the Belgium international a straight red card.

The Cottagers face the Polish champions once again on Thursday night in Europa League Group K and Jol is keen to make amends for an "awful night" in Poland.

"I would have a word with [my player if they did what Nunez did] because it is not our style, he said. "You won't see that in our team.

"I felt the [referee] was quite experienced so it is about momentum.

"He has to make these decisions and probably in hindsight he would have seen it [was a mistake] because it was the fourth official that probably called it.

"It is a bit of teamwork so I don't want to blame him but it was certainly an awful match.

"If we had got a result we would be fine, you know?

"But we got reduced to 10 men and lost so it was almost like everything was for nothing and that was awful."

He added: "I told everybody what I thought about it [at the time]. The only other thing is [Dembele should not have raised his hands]

"The rules are if you raise your hands, you are probably going to get a red card and that is what happened.

"But I still feel we were hard done by because it was not even a push on the chest or the face, it was on the shoulder."

While Dembele is banned for Thursday's match, Jol is expected to name a strong side as his side look to avoid a repeat of their 1-0 defeat in Poland.

The result at Stadion Miejski leaves the Cottagers second in Group K, three points behind Dutch outfit FC Twente.

Both Odense BK and Wisla lie within a point of Fulham and Jol admits it is important to get a result against the latter tomorrow.

"It is important for most of the teams to quality, although English teams will say it is not the biggest thing in the world," he said.

"I think Fulham raised their profile in Europe a couple of years ago [when they reached the final]so there is a culture in this squad that they want to do well and I agree with that.

"Twente play a weaker team in Odense tomorrow so we have to take things in our hands.

"If we get a good result tomorrow we are halfway there."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7287500/Jol-won-t-accept-play-acting?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol: It's important to get through

"It is important for most of the teams to qualify"

Fulham boss Martin Jol believes it is vital for Fulham to qualify for the next round of the Europa League.

Despite many English managers, including the Dutchman, naming weaker sides for some games in this tournament the Whites boss still wants to get through to the next phase.

"It is important for most of the teams to qualify, although English teams will say it is not the biggest thing in the world," he said.

"I think Fulham raised their profile in Europe a couple of years ago (when they lost in the final to a late Diego Forlan strike) so there is a culture in this squad that they want to do well and I agree with that.

"Twente play a weaker team in Odense tomorrow so we have to take things in our hands.

"If we get a good result tomorrow we are halfway there."

Jol also believes Mousa Dembele was treated harshly by the referee, although understands why the official sent him off.

Dembele pushed Wisla Krakow's Gervasio Nunez after he caught him on the back of the ankle.

The Argentinian midfielder went down clutching his face, despite replays clearly showing he was pushed in the shoulder, leading to the Belgium international being sent off.

"The rules are if you raise your hands, you are probably going to get a red card and that is what happened," Jol said.

"But I still feel we were hard done by because it was not even a push on the chest or the face, it was on the shoulder."

The Whites are second in Group K, three points behind Dutch outfit FC Twente.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_martin_jol_it_s_important_to_get_through_1_1115612?

WhiteJC

Krakow to face strong Cottagers outfit

Manager Martin Jol will name a strong side for Fulham's Europa League Group K tie with Wisla Krakow.
The Cottagers will be looking to avoid a repeat of their 1-0 defeat in Poland, when Jol left out Bryan Ruiz, Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora, although they will be without Moussa Dembele.

The Belgium international was sent off in the away tie so is banned for the match and is joined on the sidelines by Orlando Sa (hamstring). Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes (both thigh) are out.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/krakow-to-face-strong-cottagers-outfit-1327139.html?#.TrI2r2AlE98

WhiteJC

Bulls sign Peniket

Hereford have signed teenage striker Richard Peniket on an initial month-long loan deal from Fulham.

The 18-year-old is highly rated at Craven Cottage and attracted interest from Manchester United prior to joining the London club from Walsall in 2009.

He has yet to make a first-team appearance for the Cottagers but reportedly attracted the interest of Birmingham, Rangers and Wolves in the summer.

The Wales Under-19 international will now get the chance to gain some senior experience at Hereford.

Peniket appeared for the Bulls reserves against Glenn Hoddle's Academy on Tuesday and could be in contention for the game at home to League Two high-flyers Crawley at the weekend.

http://www.footballbuster.com/pages/posts/bulls-sign-peniket3068.php?

WhiteJC

Must do better!

One of a handful of strikers looking to cement a place in the England squad is Bobby Zamora.

Although at his own admission he needs to play 'a bit better' than he has been recently, admitting as much after the weekend game with Wigan: 'I certainly need to play a bit better than that to be anywhere near the squad.

'I did have an assist for the first goal, but I want to play better than that and I wasn't happy with my performance.'

'Hardworking' strikers, well players in general, is something that I like and admire but at the end of the day strikers are judged by the goals that they score!

The Fulham man is no different and knows he needs to rediscover his touch in front of goal: 'I think goalscoring is what Fabio Capello is looking for in his strikers.

'You can work as hard as you like and the first season I came here, I did the role Moussa did today, which is sitting, screening and running around like a nutter.

'You don't get any credit for that sort of work unless you get a goal. That's what any striker is judged on and I know that's what I'll be judged on.'

Zamora is good enough to be a part of the England squad, the free-scoring Zamora that we saw back along easily so - so that is what is needed again.

Many more misses like that shocker back along against Everton though and his chances take a nosedive...

Read more: http://www.england.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261170#ixzz1cccgfsdZ

WhiteJC

Celik Link?

A transfer rumour a day keeps the speculation ticking away!

Today, the tabloid press has us in direct competition with the Italian side, Atalanta, for the services of a young Swedish winger.

His name is Mervan Celik and at twenty-one years of age is tipped to have a bright future.

Apparently he becomes a free agent in the summer but his club has realized that by moving him on in the January transfer window, they will get a financial reward.

Could this be one to keep an eye on?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261173#ixzz1ccd18A8B

WhiteJC

Two on the Trot!

Getting back to winning ways, especially with the rarity of an away win, should stand us in good stead as we now face two consecutive home games.

With fixtures against Wisla Kracow (Europa League) and Spurs (Premier League), the expectation levels have been raised with it hoped that we`ll witness two wins.

Mark Schwarzer, a Fulham veteran, believes two wins is a possibility, remarking ahead of the clash, this Thursday, with Wisla Kracow,

"You`ve got to show teams the utmost respect but anything can happen and we give ourselves every opportunity of getting a result."

"That has been the case ever since I have been at the club - whoever came to Craven Cottage we`ve always felt we`re in with a chance."

But, pushed to choose, if you could guarantee which of those two games we`d prefer to win, is the answer a no-brainer?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261176#ixzz1ccdEGBYM

WhiteJC

Fulham    v    Wisla Krakow

Europa League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Thursday 3 November Kick-off: 2005 GMT Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live and live TV coverage on Channel 5

The sending off for Demebele (second right) at Wisla still annoys Jol

Fulham manager Martin Jol will name a strong side for their Europa League Group K tie with Wisla Krakow.

The Cottagers will be looking to avoid a repeat of last month's 1-0 defeat in Poland against Wisla, although they will be without Moussa Dembele.

The Belgium forward was sent off in the away tie so is banned for the home match and is joined on the sidelines by striker Orlando Sa (hamstring).

Defenders Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes (both thigh) are out.

Jol insists no Fulham player will play-act in the same way that Wisla's Gervasio Nunez did in the first game, leading to Dembele being sent off.

The incident occurred as Dembele pushed over Nunez, after the Wisla midfielder caught him on the back of the ankle.

Nunez went down clutching his face, despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading referee Martin Hansson to show Dembele a straight red card.

Jol said: "I would have a word with my player if they did what Nunez did because it is not our style. You won't see that in our team.

"I felt the referee was quite experienced so it is about momentum. He has to make these decisions and probably in hindsight he would have seen it was a mistake because it was the fourth official that probably called it.

"It is a bit of teamwork so I don't want to blame him but it was certainly an awful match.

"If we had got a result, we would be fine. But we got reduced to 10 men and lost so it was almost like everything was for nothing and that was awful."

The 1-0 defeat at Stadion Miejski leaves the Cottagers second in Group K, three points behind Dutch outfit FC Twente. Both Odense BK and Wisla lie within a point of Fulham.

Jol added: "It is important for most of the teams to quality, although English teams will say it is not the biggest thing in the world.

"I think Fulham raised their profile in Europe a couple of years ago when they reached the final so there is a culture in this squad that they want to do well and I agree with that.

"Twente play a weaker team in Odense so we have to take things in our hands. If we get a good result, we are halfway there."

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Grygera, Briggs, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15473004.stm?

WhiteJC

Fulham and QPR battle it out for Juventus striker

West-London rivals Fulham and QPR are set for a New Year transfer battle for Juventus outcast Amauri, according to reports in Italy.

The 31-year-old striker has fallen out of favour at the Serie A leaders and was shipped out on loan to Parma last January.

Despite scoring seven goals in just 11 appearances during that spell Amauri has failed to force his way back into the Juve side following his return.

And his agent Giampiero Pocetta has revealed that he is set for a January departure with clubs from England currently interested - and reports have claimed that Fulham and QPR are the two most interested parties.

"It is true that he could leave in January," Pocetta told Tuttojuve. "We are working on it, and not only with clubs from Italy.

"There is serious interest from foreign clubs, including some from England. We need to find a solution that's good for the player and for the club."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1245/85/fulham-and-qpr-battle-it-out-juventus-striker?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Wisla Krakow

Martin Jol is expected to put out a strong Fulham side when the Cottagers host Poland's Wisla Krakow on Thursday.

Fulham are without the suspended Moussa Dembele (pictured) for the Europa League Group K clash, following the Belgium international's much-criticised red card in his side's 1-0 defeat to the Poles a fortnight ago. Bryan Ruiz, meanwhile, is cup-tied.

Defenders Aaron Hughes and Philippe Senderos are both missing as well with thigh injuries, while forward Orlando Sa has a hamstring complaint.

Otherwise, however, home manager Jol has options and will pick a stronger team than the one beaten in his side's first loss in the group. Last time out he opted to rest Danny Murphy and Bobby Zamora, but they are expected to start on Thursday evening.

Fulham go into the game one point clear of their visitors (four to three) and should close on a last 32 place if they can gain revenge with a win. Ruiz's old club FC Twente, who host Fulham on matchday five, currently lead the way with seven points ahead of their renewal of rivalries with Odense on Thursday.

Osman Chavez of Wisla was, like Dembele, sent off in the sides' previous encounter, so he too is suspended. The Poles are expected to, otherwise, start with a similar team to that which defeated Fulham in Krakow, thanks to David Biton netting that game's only goal.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/11/02/Preview-Fulham-v-Wisla-Krakow-Thurs/gnid-116024/?