https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (03/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 03, 2011, 06:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol - My players won't playact
Fulham boss reflects on Dembele dismissal

Fulham manager Martin Jol insists no players from his team would playact in the same way that saw Moussa Dembele sent off against Wisla Krakow in the Europa League last month.

The incident occurred when an innocuous passage of play flared up in Poland, with Dembele pushing over Wisla's Gervasio Nunez after he caught him on the back of the ankle.

The Argentine midfielder went down clutching his face despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading referee Martin Hansson to hand the Belgium international a straight red card.

The Cottagers face the Polish champions once again on Thursday in Group K and Jol is keen to make amends for an "awful night" in Poland.

"I would have a word with (my player if they did what Nunez did) because it is not our style," he said. "You won't see that in our team.

"I felt the [referee] was quite experienced so it is about momentum.

"He has to make these decisions and probably in hindsight he would have seen it [was a mistake] because it was the fourth official that probably called it.

"It is a bit of teamwork so I don't want to blame him but it was certainly an awful match.

"If we had got a result we would be fine, you know?

Qualification

"But we got reduced to 10 men and lost so it was almost like everything was for nothing and that was awful."

He added: "I told everybody what I thought about it [at the time]. The only other thing is [Dembele should not have raised his hands].

"The rules are if you raise your hands, you are probably going to get a red card and that is what happened.

"But I still feel we were hard done by because it was not even a push on the chest or the face, it was on the shoulder."

The 1-0 defeat for Fulham at the Stadion Miejski leaves the Cottagers second in Group K, three points behind Dutch outfit Twente.

Both Odense BK and Wisla lie within a point of Fulham and Jol admits it is important to get a result against the latter.

"It is important for most of the teams to quality, although English teams will say it is not the biggest thing in the world," he said.

"I think Fulham raised their profile in Europe a couple of years ago [when they reached the final] so there is a culture in this squad that they want to do well and I agree with that.

"Twente play a weaker team in Odense tomorrow so we have to take things in our hands.

"If we get a good result tomorrow we are halfway there."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7287601/?

WhiteJC

Dempsey keen to keep destiny in Fulham's hands

A scorer of one of Fulham FC's most famous European goals, Clint Dempsey is eager to avenge the matchday three loss to Wisła Kraków and consolidate a top-two place in Group K.

Clint Dempsey watched on TV when Fulham lost in Poland two weeks ago
©Getty Images

A key member of the Fulham FC team that reached the inaugural final, Clint Dempsey is familiar with the drama which can unfold on UEFA Europa League nights at Craven Cottage.

For as long as the United States international remains with the west London club, the striker-cum-winger will always be remembered for his goal, a delicate chip, which capped a stunning 5-4 aggregate victory over Juventus and sent them through to the quarter-finals in 2009/10.

Yet as he looked to Thursday's meeting with Wisła Kraków, the side who defeated Fulham 1-0 a fortnight ago, Dempsey hopes for a more straightforward passage this time around, into the round of 32. The Cottagers have little room for error in Group K, however − they are second, a point clear of Thursday's opponents and Odense BK. The 28-year-old appreciates how significant a home win could be.

"It's an important game for us and we definitely need the points," said Dempsey, one of Fulham's longest serving player having joined in January 2007 from New England Revolution. "We don't want to be waiting until the last game or hoping other results to go our way. Hopefully we'll keep our destiny in our hands and get the right result. We want to get out of the group because we want to go on a nice little run and make the most of being in the competition."

Dempsey knows all about a lengthy European journey, having played in 13 of Fulham's 19 matches en route to the 2010 showpiece and a 2-1 extra-time defeat by Club Atlético de Madrid in Hamburg. "I have some great memories playing in these games, getting to the Europa League final last time we were in was something I'll never forget," he added.

"It's nice to be in this competition because you get the opportunity to play against teams from all over." Fulham did not enjoy matchday three, when they had Moussa Dembélé sent off in the first half before succumbing to David Biton's goal on the hour. Yet Dempsey, a scorer in Saturday's 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic FC, says Thursday's game will not be like the one in Poland.

"Because we were a man down it was difficult to press them," added Dempsey, who watched the game on the TV having been rested by Martin Jol. "Given space and time on the ball they can hurt you but you'll see a different game tomorrow."

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000272/match=2007369/prematch/preview/index.html?rss=1709792+Dempsey+keen+to+keep+destiny+in+Fulham%27s+hands

WhiteJC

Boss reveals Polish lesson learned

Martin Jol insists no Fulham player would ever 'play act' in the same way that saw Moussa Dembele sent off against Wisla Krakow.

The incident in last month's 1-0 defeat to the Polish champions hangs heavy over Thursday's Europa League Group K return clash at Craven Cottage, but Jol does not expect any Fulham player to stoop as low.

Dembele is suspended for the match after pushing over Wisla's Gervasio Nunez in reaction to being caught on the back of the ankle.

"I would have a word with [my player if they did what Nunez did] because it is not our style," said Jol.

"You won't see that in our team. I felt the [referee] was quite experienced so it is about momentum.

"He has to make these decisions and probably in hindsight he would have seen it [was a mistake] because it was the fourth official that probably called it.

"It is a bit of teamwork so I don't want to blame him but it was certainly an awful match.

"If we had got a result we would be fine, you know?

"But we got reduced to 10 men and lost so it was almost like everything was for nothing and that was awful."

He added: "I told everybody what I thought about it [at the time]. The only other thing is [Dembele should not have raised his hands]

"The rules are if you raise your hands, you are probably going to get a red card and that is what happened."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/boss-reveals-polish-lesson-learned-1327194.html?

WhiteJC

Dempsey US player of year for 2nd time

SAN FRANCISCO—Clint Dempsey has been voted the Futbol de Primera U.S. national team player of the year award for the second time.

The 28-year-old midfielder and forward received 375 points and 99 first-place votes in balloting by media released Wednesday.

Dempsey also won the award in 2006.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard was second with 252 points, followed by midfielder Landon Donovan, a six-time winner, with 191.

Dempsey has four goals in 12 games the U.S. this year, giving him 23 goals in 80 international appearances. When he scored for Fulham last weekend, Dempsey tied Brian McBride for the most Premier League goals among Americans with 36.

The award was formerly known as the Honda player of the year.

Read more: Dempsey US player of year for 2nd time - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19248287?#ixzz1ccfjSWgT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

WhiteJC

Fulham's Smith has trial at QPR

Fulham youngster Alex Smith is having a trial with QPR.

The left-back, who turned 20 on Monday, played for Rangers' reserves in a match against Reading on Tuesday afternoon.

Smith is a product of Fulham's youth system and was an ever-present for the Under-18s side which reached the Academy League Final earlier this year. He is yet to make a first-team appearance.

His contract at Craven Cottage is due to expire next summer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/fulhams-smith-has-trial-at-qpr/?

WhiteJC

Sidwell's challenge was 'horrific'
Wigan boss glad that Diame will recover soon

Mohamed Diame (centre): Wigan midfielder suffered ankle ligament damage against Fulham

Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez believes that midfielder Mohamed Diame would have broken his leg if his foot had not been off the ground when he was caught by Steve Sidwell during Saturday's 2-0 defeat by Fulham in the Premier League.

Diame only suffered minor ankle ligament damage at the DW Stadium and could even recover his fitness for this weekend's crucial encounter with Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.

Martinez is understandably pleased with the news but has described Sidwell's challenge as "horrific".

"We have been very lucky," said the Spaniard. "It was a horrific challenge.

"We have seen it a few times. At the moment of contact his leg is off the ground.

"If it had been on the ground, it would have been a break. Thankfully, he has only damaged his ligaments."

"I don't think it is going to be too long (before he recovers)," he added.

"We will see how he develops over the next 48 hours.

"Momo suffered two very tough tackles in 45 seconds and received no protection at all.

"I still have hope for Sunday but mainly, we are just glad it is not serious."

Wigan are currently at the foot of the Premier League table with just five points from 10 matches.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7287900/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol keen for Fulham to make amends against Wisla Krakow
• Fulham without Sa, Senderos and Hughes
• Jol unhappy with Dembele's red card in Wisla

Martin Jol will name a strong side for Fulham's match against Wisla Krakow at Craven Cottage.
Photograph: Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images

The Fulham manager, Martin Jol, is keen to make amends for an "awful night" in Poland two weeks ago when his side face Wisla Krakow in the reverse fixture at Craven Cottage on Thursday.

Jol saw Moussa Dembele sent off in Krakow after an innocuous passage of play flared up, with Dembele pushing over Wisla's Gervasio Núñez after he caught him on the back of the ankle.

The Argentinian midfielder went down clutching his face, despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading the referee, Martin Hansson, to show the Belgium international a straight red card.

Jol says no Fulham player would play act in the same way as Núñez. "I would have a word [with my player if he did what Núñez did] because it is not our style," he said. "You won't see that in our team.

"I felt the [referee] was quite experienced so it is about momentum. He has to make these decisions and probably in hindsight he would have seen it [was a mistake] because it was the fourth official that probably called it. It is a bit of teamwork so I don't want to blame him but it was certainly an awful match.

"If we had got a result we would be fine. But we got reduced to 10 men and lost, so it was almost like everything was for nothing and that was awful."

Jol will name a strong side for the Group K tie but is without Orlando Sa (hamstring), Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes (both thigh) as well as the suspended Dembele.

Fulham provisional squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Grygera, Briggs, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/02/martin-jol-fulham-wisla-krakow?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey gets the vote for the United States' top player
• Fulham forward beats Tim Howard to win award
• Dempsey equals American Premier League record

Fulham's Clint Dempsey scored again for Fulham last weekend.
Photograph: Paul Currie/Action Images

Fulham's Clint Dempsey has been voted the Futbol de Primera USA national-team player of the year for the second time.

The 28-year-old received 375 points and 99 first-place votes in balloting by the media. Dempsey also won the award in 2006.

Everton's goalkeeper Tim Howard was second with 252 points, followed by the LA Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan, a six-time winner, with 191.

Dempsey has scored four goals in 12 games for the USA this year. He has now scored 23 goals in 80 international appearances. When he scored for Fulham last weekend Dempsey drew level with Brian McBride for the most Premier League goals among Americans with 36.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/02/clint-dempsey-usa-award?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

WhiteJC

Fulham teenager Peniket joins Hereford on month-long loan

Hereford United have signed Fulham's teenage striker Richard Peniket on an initial month-long loan deal.
The Wales Under 19 international appeared for the reserves against Glenn Hoddle's Academy on Tuesday and could be in contention for Saturday's game at home to League Two Crawley Town.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2056819/Richard-Peniket-joins-Hereford.html#ixzz1cchWcW2J

WhiteJC

Tottenham clash is spurring on Jol as Fulham go in search of European points

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits his mind keeps drifting to Sunday's emotional clash against Tottenham.

The Dutchman's side face Wisla Krakow in the Europa League on Thursday but, with a Barclays Premier League match against his former employers on the horizon, Jol has found his thoughts fast-forwarding to the weekend.

'Of course I have thought about the game against Tottenham,' said Jol. 'But then I have to keep changing my  mind (from the Spurs game) because I know we need the points in Europe.'

Friends reunited: Martin Jol is looking forward to coming up against his old side Spurs at the weekend

With the injustice of Moussa Dembele's straight red card in the first match against the Polish side fresh in his memory, Jol will warn his team not to fall foul of their opponents' play-acting tactics again.

The Belgium forward was sent off for a push on Gervasio Nunez, though replays show Dembele barely put his hand on the Argentine's shoulder.

The decision left Fulham players furious and striker Andy Johnson said afterwards that maybe the Craven Cottage side should revert to similar tactics. But Jol said: 'If one of my players was play-acting, I would have a word with him.

Injustice: Moussa Dembele was sent off against Wisla Krakow in the last round of games after Gervasio Nunez went down holding his face after he was pushed in the shoulder

'It's not our style and you won't see it in our team. I know the South Americans and have coached a few in my career. They think differently.

'They feel if the referee makes a decision against the other team, they have achieved what they wanted.'

Probable line-up:
(4-4-2): Schwarzer; Grygera, Baird, Hangeland, Briggs; Duff, Sidwell, Murphy, Dempsey; Kasami, Johnson.
TV: Five (7.30 start, 8.05 ko)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2056776/Martin-Jol-focused-Fulhams-game-Tottenham.html#ixzz1cchtkZBG

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wisla Krakow: Easy home win expected at the Cottage

They may have suffered a surprise defeat in Poland two weeks ago but Fulham are very much expected to get revenge at Craven Cottage says Mike Norman.

Fulham v Wisla Krakow, KO: Thursday 20:05, live on Channel 5, Match Odds: Fulham 1.35, Wisla Krakow 12.0, The Draw 5.4

Fulham were unfortunate to be reduced to 10 men in the reverse of this fixture two weeks ago but by their own admission it was a pretty poor effort in Poland, losing 1-0 and handing Wisla their first win in Group K. That result leaves The Cottagers three points behind group leaders FC Twente and just one point ahead of both Wisla and Danish side Odense, so Martin Jol's men can ill-afford another slip-up here with a trip to Holland (to face Twente) still to come.

Fulham's league campaign has gone pretty much as expected in the last fortnight, losing to Everton before winning 2-0 at struggling Wigan at the weekend. Jol has promised a strong line-up for this crucial encounter, insisting that he has no fears about his players taking to the field three times in one week (cue every granddad in the country telling us that they used to play three times in a day, let alone a week).

Despite promising to field a strong side Jol is without Moussa Dembelle (suspended) and defenders Philippe Senderos and Aaron Hughes who both have thigh strains.

"Martin Jol has promised a strong line-up for this crucial encounter, insisting that he has no fears about his players taking to the field three times in one week."

Match Odds

Fulham are worthy favourites to win this game despite losing to the same side in Poland two weeks ago. Five Europa League games at Craven Cottage have rendered four wins and a draw this term with 13 goals scored and just the one conceded, whilst their defeat to Everton recently was Fulham's first reversal in 10 games on home soil. Opponents Krakow lost at home to a bottom half side in their domestic league at the weekend and that is hardly the perfect preparation for what will surely be a tough task.

Over/Under 2.5 Goals

At 1.78 to back Over 2.5 Goals looks a safe wager here given that Fulham have been free-scoring on home soil this season, scoring three (twice) and four in this competition, six against QPR, and two against the mighty Manchester City. However it's Jol's promise of a strong line-up that inspires the most confidence and it could be that if Fulham get an early goal they could easily end up with three or four.

Half Time/Full Time & Correct Score

Given what I've said above then, the Fulham/Fulham option at 1.96 in the Half Time/Full Time market, and both the 3-0 (11.0) and Any Unquoted (5.8) options in the Correct Score market are worth considering.

Recommended Bets

Back Fulham HT/Fulham FT @ 1.96
Back 3-0 @ 11.0 & Any Unquoted @ 5.8 Correct Scores

http://betting.betfair.com/football/uefa-cup/fulham-v-wisla-krakow-easy-home-win-expected-at-the-cottag-021111.html?

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL WILL NOT TAKE A KRAK AT DIVING

MARTIN JOL expects more diving from Wisla's Argentinian tumbler tonight – but insists his Fulham players would never resort to cheating.

Jol was fuming after Moussa Dembele was dismissed when Gervasio Nunez went down clutching his face in Krakow two weeks ago.

The Dutchman reckons fooling referees is in the DNA of South Americans.

He said: "I know the South Americans and have coached a few in my career.

"They feel if the referee makes a decision against the other team, they have achieved what they wanted. It's a different mentality. Even with dives, if the referee falls into it, they are happy. I don't agree with it. But in South America they say, 'well done'."

Striker Andy Johnson suggested Fulham players should start diving themselves.

But Jol added: "If one of my players did that I would have a word with him. It's not our style.

"If you want fair play you have to try to achieve that.

"We try to do that with most of the items we have spoken about – last week we spoke about racism. We've probably all agreed on fair play for decades now."

Jol is determined to play the right way after Fulham qualified for the competition through the Fair Play League.

Clint Dempsey agreed with his manager, with the American adding: "We don't do things theatrically, that is not how we operate.

"If another player put his hand in my face I would not go to ground."

FULHAM: Schwarzer; Kelly, Hangeland, Grygera, Riise; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey; Zamora, Johnson.
Referee: Halis Ozkahya (Turkey)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/218878/Martin-Jol-will-not-take-a-Krak-at-diving/?

WhiteJC

LAURI DALLA VALLE WANTS TO STAY AT DUNDEE UNITED

LAURI DALLA VALLE last night hinted he wants to extend his loan at Dundee United.

The Fulham striker was farmed out by the Premiership club to United in a bid to gain first-team experience and he has been able to force his way into manager Peter Houston's plans.

The Finland U21 international, who is jetting off to face Ukraine next week, is happy with life in the SPL and revealed he will be speaking to Fulham about lengthening his deal beyond January.

Dalla Valle has scored three goals in 9 appearances for United and was on target against Dunfermline last weekend.

He said: "I am here until January and have been really happy with the way things have been going so far.

"I came here to play games and the big thing is that I'm getting to do that.

"I am happy with the progress I have made and really enjoy playing for Dundee United.

"I have also been able to score a few goals, like against Dunfermline at the weekend, so it has been a good move for me. Obviously I will need to look at what Fulham and Dundee United are saying in January and I think we will sit down and discuss things. "   

Dalla Valle is highly-rated by his national side and is looking forward to jetting off to represent Finland against Ukraine.

He said: "We have a European Championship game against Ukraine next week so it's a very important one. We lost to Sweden last time so need to get back on track but first of all I'm fully focused on the Rangers game at the weekend."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/281391/Lauri-Dalla-Valle-wants-to-stay-at-Dundee-United?

WhiteJC

Redknapp is a doubt for Fulham trip after surgery
Spurs manager's heart operation means he may swap the dugout for the directors' box on Sunday.

The Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is not expected to appear on the touchline for Sunday's Premier League fixture with Fulham after successfully undergoing minor heart surgery, though the 64-year-old may yet be present at the game.

Redknapp was admitted to hospital on Tuesday night for tests after he started feeling unwell and had two stents inserted to unblock his coronary arteries during an operation yesterday afternoon. He is due to be discharged in the next 48 hours, meaning he will miss his side's Europa League fixture with Russian side Rubin Kazan this evening and casting doubt over his attendance for Spurs' visit to Craven Cottage.

In his absence, assistant manager Kevin Bond and first-team coach Joe Jordan will take charge of the team for tonight's game.

The former Portsmouth and West Ham manager remains upbeat, insisting that he is "absolutely fine" and hopes he "can be back at work again in a couple of days", but sources close to Redknapp yesterday suggested an appearance in Fulham's directors' box may be more realistic for this weekend.

Writing in his national newspaper column yesterday, Redknapp revealed he has been taking heart medication for a year and admitted the nature of his job is such that even "the most mild-mannered of people explode, as when you are sitting on the bench you get eaten up inside from first to last whistle".

Under such circumstances, it is little wonder the Spurs chairman Daniel Levy yesterday cautioned against his manager returning to the front line too quickly. "We are delighted the operation went so smoothly and successfully," said Levy. "Knowing Harry he will want to rush back, but it's important that he only does so when he has recovered properly." A statement released by the club revealed Redknapp was "in excellent spirits" after his coronary angioplasty – a procedure described as "routine" and carried out under local, rather than general, anaesthetic – and had asked Tottenham "to pass on his thanks to all the many, many fans who have sent goodwill messages".

His friend and long-time assistant Bond insisted the scare would not force Redknapp, who has transformed Spurs from relegation strugglers to Champions League contenders in the three years since he replaced Juande Ramos, to contemplate cutting his career short.

"This will not knock Harry's desire to manage, no chance," Bond said. "No, it won't happen. You give him two days off and he will come back rejuvenated. It's nothing really for us to worry about. It's happened. The procedure has come and gone. I have spoken to Harry and he is fine. While no one wants to see anyone have any type of operation, it is a simple procedure and hopefully he will be back within a couple of days so everything will be fine."

Redknapp is far from the first of his Premier League peers to undergo a heart operation. Sir Alex Ferguson had a pacemaker fitted in 2004, while Gérard Houllier had to have an 11-hour emergency aortic dissection after experiencing heart problems while at Liverpool. He later returned to top-flight management at Aston Villa before ill-health again forced him out of the game. Joe Kinnear, too, had a triple-heart bypass in 2009, ending his reign at Newcastle.

Gallas and Pienaar return for Europa tie

Stand-in Tottenham managers Joe Jordan and Kevin Bond are expected to make changes for tonight's Europa League trip to Rubin Kazan.

A number of first-team players miss the 4,000-mile round-trip along with convalescing Harry Redknapp, as the club look towards protecting a two-month unbeaten league run when they visit Fulham on Sunday. Spurs, who sit two points clear in Group A and with a home tie against PAOK and a trip to Shamrock Rovers to follow, will rotate for the return against a side they beat 1-0 at White Hart Lane a fortnight ago.

William Gallas could make a first appearance of the season after recovering from a calf strain, with the returning Steven Pienaar also set to play. Tom Carroll may get another chance, while either Carlo Cudicini or Heurelho Gomes will start in goal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/redknapp-is-a-doubt-for-fulham-trip-after-surgery-6256210.html?

WhiteJC

We would never try to get an opponent sent off, claims Jol
Fulham v Wisla Krakow

Martin Jol insists no Fulham player would play-act in the same way that a Wisla Krakow player did against his side last month in an incident which led to Moussa Dembélé being sent off.

The sending off occurred when an innocuous passage of play flared up in Poland, with Dembélé pushing over Wisla's Gervasio Nunez after he caught him on the back of the ankle. The Argentine midfielder went down clutching his face despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading referee Martin Hansson to hand Dembélé a red card.

Fulham face the Polish champions again tonight in Europa League Group K and Jol is keen to make amends at Craven Cottage for an "awful night" in Poland when his 10-man side lost 1-0. "I would have a word with [my player if they did what Nunez did] because it is not our style," the Fulham manager said. "You won't see that in our team. I felt the [referee] was quite experienced so it is about momentum. He has to make these decisions and probably in hindsight he would have seen it [was a mistake] because it was the fourth official that probably called it.

"It is a bit of teamwork so I don't want to blame him but it was certainly an awful match. If we had got a result we would be fine, you know?

He added: "I told everybody what I thought about it [at the time]. The only other thing is [Dembélé should not have raised his hands]. If you raise your hands, you are probably going to get a red card and that is what happened."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/we-would-never-try-to-get-an-opponent-sent-off-claims-jol-6256203.html?

WhiteJC

Dempsey desperate for points

Clint Dempsey admits Fulham needs points from its Europa League encounter with Wisla Krakow if it is to progress to the knockout stages.

The Cottagers are expected to name a strong line-up to face the Polish champion as they look to avoid a repeat of their 1-0 defeat in Poland.

The result at Stadion Miejski leaves Fulham second in Group K, three points behind Dutch side FC Twente and just a point ahead of both Odense BK and Wisla.

"You never want to lose and because the table is so tight we need to win," Dempsey said.

"We need to get points as you don't want to be waiting until the last game to get our of the group stage.

"We're going to do everything we can to win the game.

"While the league is most important, so too is this competition as you want to be a part of as many competitions as you can.

"To play in these games gives you great memories.

"I mean getting to the Europa League final the last time we were in it is something I will never forget and hopefully we can have a nice little run.

"It is nice to be able to play in this competition as it allows you to play different teams from all over [Europe]."

Dempsey was rested for the first match with Wisla, which was marred by Moussa Dembele's controversial sending off.

The incident occurred when an innocuous passage of play flared up in Poland, with Dembele pushing over Wisla's Gervasio Nunez after he caught him on the back of the ankle.

The Argentinian midfielder went down clutching his face despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading referee Martin Hansson to hand the Belgium international a straight red card.

Dempsey watched the match on television but, while annoyed by the decision, remained philosophical about it.

"It is frustrating to see but what can you do about it? The ref made a decision that he felt was right.

"Things, though, don't always happen the way you want and now we can only concentrate on tonight's game.

"We need to take advantage of having the same amount of players as they do and play the football the way we know we can. Then, hopefully, we can get the right result."

Wisla's preparation for tonight's match did not go smoothly, with visa problems delaying the arrival at the team hotel of Serbian trio Milan Jovanic, Marko Jovanovic and Ivica Iliev.

"We hope the problems with visas will be solved, and this trio will be able to play. We came here for a favorable outcome but it won't be easy," Wisla coach Coach Robert Maaskant said.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1079659/Dempsey-desperate-for-points?

WhiteJC

Premier League - Match facts: Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur

Facts and figures ahead of the Premier League clash between Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur at Craven Cottage.

Fulham have failed to score in four of the last five Premier League matches with Tottenham.

Fulham have had one player booked in each of the last six Premier League games against Spurs.

The Cottagers have won just one of the last 10 Premier League games against Tottenham, losing four.

Martin Jol was Tottenham manager between November 2004 and October 2007, winning 47 of 113 Premier League matches (42%).

Rafael van der Vaart has scored six goals in his last five league games.

Having lost their opening two league games, Tottenham have won six and drawn one of their last seven (a run that started when Scott Parker made his debut for Spurs).

Fulham have only won two of their last 22 London derbies, but one of them came in their last London derby at Craven Cottage (6-0 v Queens Park Rangers).

Clint Dempsey has won more fouls than any other Premier League player this season (27).

Luka Modric should make his 100th Premier League appearances for Spurs in this game.

No side has been shown more yellow cards in the Premier League this season than the Cottagers (26, joint with Chelsea).

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03112011/58/premier-league-match-facts-fulham-v-tottenham-hotspur.html

WhiteJC

Leicester poised to appoint Lee Clark

Lee Clark is set to land the Leicester job after talks with the Foxes' owners in London.

Huddersfield boss Clark could now be named as Sven Goran Eriksson's successor on Thursday after emerging as the leading contender.

The 39-year-old has established an impressive reputation as one of English football's brightest young bosses, and Leicester made their move for him on Tuesday.

Hull's former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and ex-Derby and Nottingham Forest boss Billy Davies are also on the short-list, but Clark seems poised to secure the post.

Huddersfield will demand compensation of around £300,000 for the manager that has guided the Terriers on an amazing run of 41 consecutive matches unbeaten in League One.

Leicester are determined to have Clark installed before their Championship clash with Leeds on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Leicester-set-to-name-Lee-Clark-as-manager-pay-Huddersfield-300k-transfer-fee-article826098.html#ixzz1cclyfo2d

WhiteJC

DEMPSEY LOOKS FOR THREE POINTS

Clint Dempsey admits Fulham need points from tonight's Europa League encounter with Wisla Krakow if they are to progress to the knockout stages.

The Cottagers are expected to name a strong line-up to face the Polish champions as they look to avoid a repeat of their 1-0 defeat in Poland.

The result at Stadion Miejski leaves the Cottagers second in Group K, three points behind Dutch outfit FC Twente and just a point ahead of both Odense BK and tonight's opponents Wisla.

"You never want to lose and because the table is so tight we need to win," Dempsey said.

"We need to get points as you don't want to be waiting until the last game to get our of the group stage.

"We're going to do everything we can to win the game.

"While the league is most important, so too is this competition as you want to be a part of as many competitions as you can.

"To play in these games gives you great memories.

"I mean getting to the Europa League final the last time we were in it is something I will never forget and hopefully we can have a nice little run.

"It is nice to be able to play in this competition as it allows you to play different teams from all over [Europe]."

Dempsey was rested for the first match with Wisla, which was marred by Moussa Dembele's controversial sending off.

The Argentinian midfielder went down clutching his face despite being pushed at shoulder height, leading referee Martin Hansson to hand the Belgium international a straight red card.

Dempsey watched the match on television but, while annoyed by the decision, remained philosophical about it.

"It is frustrating to see but what can you do about it? The ref made a decision that he felt was right.

"Things, though, don't always happen the way you want and now we can only concentrate on tonight's game.

"We need to take advantage of having the same amount of players as they do and play the football the way we know we can. Then, hopefully, we can get the right result."

Wisla's preparation for tonight's match did not go smoothly, with visa problems delaying the arrival at the team hotel of Serbian trio Milan Jovanic, Marko Jovanovic and Ivica Iliev.

Coach Robert Maaskant told his club's official website ,www.wisla.krakow.pl: "We hope the problems with visas will be solved, and this trio will be able to play. We came here for a favorable outcome but it won't be easy."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/03/SOCCER_Fulham_Dempsey.html

WhiteJC

Fulham and QPR ramp up bid to sign Juventus striker Amauri

Fulham and QPR are set to battle it out for Juventus striker Amauri.

Despite scoring seven times in 11 appearances during a loan spell with Parma, the 31-year-old has failed to find a way into the Juventus first-team, and is keen to seal a January move.

Italian job: West London rivals QPR and Fulham are interested in Amauri

'It is true that he could leave in January,' Amauri's agent Giampiero Pocetta told Tuttojuve. 'We are working on it, and not only with clubs from Italy.

'There is serious interest from foreign clubs, including some from England. We need to find a solution that's good for the player and for the club.'

No room at the inn: Amauri starred on loan at Parma but is out of favour at Juventus

Juventus are asking £6million for the 6ft 1ins striker although his wages of £3.4m a year after tax could prove a stumbling block in getting him a move away.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2056957/Fulham-QPR-ramp-bid-sign-Amauri.html#ixzz1cdUOQJ8h