watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Etuhu

Started by aussierod, November 04, 2011, 02:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussierod

If there was one player I could readily get rid of in order to bring in an upgraded player for say 1-2mill more, who would you want to rid yourself of.

For me, that player is Etuhu. I'm not going to slag him off and say how terrible he is, but of all the players within the first team squad, I think he brings the least. Yes he keeps things simple, plays the simple passes, holds a defensive formation/position well etc, but too often last night and many, many times previously, he is caught in possession, leaves possession cheaply or gives away needless free kicks in dangerous areas. Examples from last night alone are obviously their goal (where he not only gave the ball away but then chopped their player down right on the edge of the box, a certain free-kick if they didn't have the advantage already, the dangerous free kick 20-odd yards out in the centre of field which Schwartzer did well to save as well as a few needless turnovers. In possession he does nothing to take the pressure off Murphy in that Murphy is forced to create something as Etuhu has no creative eye for a pass. If teams could see this, they could just man mark Murphy out of the game similar to what Everton did to Silva of Man City.

If we had another midfielder willing to look for the ball last night we wouldn't have struggled so much to get the ball out of our own half. Wisla were pressing really well last night, very high up the pitch (saw 4-5 Wisla defenders in our defensive half pressurising Hangerland etc sometimes even outnumbering our players when we had the ball) but a few triangles would have opened them right up. Murphy would have been away of this but I don't think Etuhu really knows how to help the ball out of defence. With regards to physical presence, I cant recall seeing him win the ball cleanly, whereas players like Murphy (although he pulled out of a few last night) and Sidwell in particular win their tackles whilst also making their presence felt (Sidwell moreso)

So, if I could swap any one player for a slight improved one, it would be Etuhu, we need another midfielder who can add something to the side and do something with the ball, not just pass it side to side or provide a short option (obviously this stuff is important, but this is Etuhu's only real strengths)
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

BalDrick

Put it like this, I'll bet you the minute opposing managers see his name on the team sheet, they give their players instructions to get close to him and pressure him - absolutely guaranteed to get the ball that way. I've thought he's pony for a while now, seen nothing of late to effect a change of mind.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Mr Fulham

The signing of Sidwell was possibly Sparky's best action. I am really surprised that he's THAT good. He's ever-present, he always gives his all and he's incredibly dynamic, both defensively and offensively. I cannot imagine Fulham without Steve Sidwell at the moment. He's huge. Etuhu is a player you can do with when you need to break up an attacking side. But the combination Murphy/Etuhu doesn't work. That's too forseeable, not really dangerous.

If Jol intends to play a 4-5-1 formation, we should nevertheless keep Etuhu, even if we sign Brama or O'Hara or someone else.

AlFayedsChequebook

I am not going to slag him off, but here, let me slag him off.

richie17

I keep coming back to Sergio Busquets, much closer to Etuhu than Sidwell in style.  People pick up on Etuhu's misplaced passes to prove what they already "know" but when Sidwell gives the ball away it's not a problem because he's not a "bad passer".

I think Sidwell's the better player but again feel that Etuhu's horribly underrated on here because he's in the position that we find hardest to evaluate.

dgnffc

I think Etuhu (usually) does a solid, if limited, job for the team and gets picked probably because you know that he will not get too adventurous. However, I for one was quite excited when (so it was rumoured) we almost got Boeteng from Dnipro on the last day of the transfer window. He would definitely have been an upgrade on Etuhu.

richie17

Also, whats with the "Etoo" thing you hear at the ground.  Bloke next to me last night was calling him Etoo. I remember it happening a few times last year, and on TiFF there's lots of misspellings.  It's really not that hard....

richie17

Quote from: dgnffc on November 04, 2011, 02:27:06 PM
I think Etuhu (usually) does a solid, if limited, job for the team and gets picked probably because you know that he will not get too adventurous. However, I for one was quite excited when (so it was rumoured) we almost got Boeteng from Dnipro on the last day of the transfer window. He would definitely have been an upgrade on Etuhu.

That's the problem though, would he?  In our team in our system, who knows?  How many times have you seen Boeteng play?  What system was his team playing? What were his teammates like?  Dickson's played in a team where he had a clear role and he did it well.  He looks a bit lost under Jol's fluid system but he's making his way back into the team.

dgnffc

Quote from: richie17 on November 04, 2011, 02:30:05 PM

That's the problem though, would he?  In our team in our system, who knows?  How many times have you seen Boeteng play?  What system was his team playing? What were his teammates like?  Dickson's played in a team where he had a clear role and he did it well.  He looks a bit lost under Jol's fluid system but he's making his way back into the team.
Ok, I've only seen him play for Nigeria and Dnipro (against us). Each time he has impressed me and Dnipro played in a very fluid way but he seemed to attract the ball like a magnet.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: richie17 on November 04, 2011, 02:27:55 PM
Also, whats with the "Etoo" thing you hear at the ground.  Bloke next to me last night was calling him Etoo. I remember it happening a few times last year, and on TiFF there's lots of misspellings.  It's really not that hard....

Deliberate misprounouncing of a "foreigners" name is a way to demonstrate superiority.

In the "mind" of a racist xenophobe of course.

TonyGilroy

Etuhu does what Etuhu does. He sits in front of the defence breaking up attacks or forcing them wide when he retreats to become a third centre back. When he gets the ball he gets rid quick to the nearest colleague and resumes his position.

That's all he does well but it was essential for Uncle Roy.

If that's what Jol wants then Etuhu must play. Otherwise not.

MJG

That's the problem though, would he?  In our team in our system, who knows?  How many times have you seen Boeteng play?  What system was his team playing? What were his teammates like?  Dickson's played in a team where he had a clear role and he did it well.  He looks a bit lost under Jol's fluid system but he's making his way back into the team.
As you keep going back to Busquets I'll keep going back to Roy.
In a Roy team Etuhu does his job and does it well, because its simple, he has instructions "someone gives you the ball  you give it right back to them" "nothing more than 5 yards".
With that taken away he is lost, three times last night he was left alone with the ball, he missed the normal pass straight back to the player who gave it to him, he then stutters and before you know it ball gone.
He does not have a football brain and to even refer to him in the same breath as Busquets is a laugh.
If his job is to defend the back four then he failed last night a good number of times. Sitting high up in the Hammy end you could see in the second half the parting of waves almost as they went through an empty midfield.
As for making his way back, he started as first choice, lost it to Sidwell and seems now only to be playing in the european games. He's just third choice CM at the moment and for me the quicker we offload him the happier I will be.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on November 04, 2011, 02:38:55 PM

That's the problem though, would he?  In our team in our system, who knows?  How many times have you seen Boeteng play?  What system was his team playing? What were his teammates like?  Dickson's played in a team where he had a clear role and he did it well.  He looks a bit lost under Jol's fluid system but he's making his way back into the team.
In a Roy team Etuhu does his job and does it well, because its simple, he has instructions "someone gives you the ball  you give it right back to them" "nothing more than 5 yards".
With that taken away he is lost, three times last night he was left alone with the ball, he missed the normal pass straight back to the player who gave it to him, he then stutters and before you know it ball gone.
He does not have a football brain and to even refer to him in the same breath as Busquets is a laugh.
If his job is to defend the back four then he failed last night a good number of times. Sitting high up in the Hammy end you could see in the second half the parting of waves almost as they went through an empty midfield.
As for making his way back, he started as first choice, lost it to Sidwell and seems now only to be playing in the european games. He's just third choice CM at the moment and for me the quicker we offload him the happier I will be.

He was hardly comparing him to Busquets as a player, but the role he plays in the team.

I definitely think that Etuhu gets short shrift, he had a poor game yesterday, but if he is so terrible why does he keep getting picked? Hodgson, hughes and Jol are not idiots. Hughes even gave him a 4 year contract!

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 04, 2011, 02:41:40 PM

In a Roy team Etuhu does his job and does it well, because its simple, he has instructions "someone gives you the ball  you give it right back to them" "nothing more than 5 yards".

He was hardly comparing him to Busquets as a player, but the role he plays in the team.

I definitely think that Etuhu gets short shrift, he had a poor game yesterday, but if he is so terrible why does he keep getting picked? Hodgson, hughes and Jol are not idiots. Hughes even gave him a 4 year contract!
I know he was not comparing him.
As for the three managers...
Roy found him a role and he was fine in it.
Hughes tried to change him because he saw what we all see, A big man with all the attributes who should do better, think he lost his place in the end.
And with Jol he started the season first choice and is now first sub for CM.

I think it was David Moyes who said about Etuhu when he joined Fulham, if you can get him to do what he does on the training field, on the pitch, he's quite a player.
I think thats the main thing, he looks good and the part, but really he's not.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on November 04, 2011, 02:47:01 PM

In a Roy team Etuhu does his job and does it well, because its simple, he has instructions "someone gives you the ball  you give it right back to them" "nothing more than 5 yards".

Hughes tried to change him because he saw what we all see, A big man with all the attributes who should do better, think he lost his place in the end.

I think it was David Moyes who said about Etuhu when he joined Fulham, if you can get him to do what he does on the training field, on the pitch, he's quite a player.

So his entire career is essentially one big fake and he has conned his way onto a football field?

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 04, 2011, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: MJG on November 04, 2011, 02:47:01 PM

So his entire career is essentially one big fake and he has conned his way onto a football field?
Where do I say that? 

ImperialWhite

Quote from: MJG on November 04, 2011, 02:53:19 PM
Where do I say that? 

QuoteI think thats the main thing, he looks good and the part, but really he's not.

You implied it, not said it.

HatterDon

Sometimes football supporters remind me of 8th grade girls. When they get a BEST FRIEND FOREVER, then they feel it must be necessary to HATE the girl who their BFF competes with.

I'm pretty much willing to bet that around 75% of the anti-Etuhu element rate Sidwell as one of their two or three favorite players. Since they play the same position, it is then incumbent on them to slag off Etuhu every time he plays -- even in a 4-1 victory -- so as to re-emphasize how their BFF is soooo much better.

Etuhu does what Etuhu does very very well. Sidwell is the same, although he's at his very best as a box-to-box midfielder when he stops well short of the opponent's penalty area [and yes, I know he scored last night.] I'm not concerned when either of them is in the lineup because each of them has game smarts and skills, and each of them is going to contribute to the Fulham midfield. Slagging Etuhu's performance last night beause it was inferior to to others on the pitch is silly. I can't think of a player NOT named Lionel Messi for whom you couldn't name a better practitioner in his position.

Lastly, this "Dickson never passes to an teammate more than five yards away" thing is risible. I'm reminded of a friend -- years ago -- who kept saying "They NEVER call traveling in the NBA." He said it so often, that I finally called him on it and said "I"ll give you $5 before the game. You give me $1 every time the ref calls travelling. I think I got $9 in return." Along the same lines, I'd offer  5 quid to anyone before an Etuhu 90 minutes, if they'd give me 1 for each pass he COMPLETES longer than 5 yards.

What's up with FOF? As I'm typing this, it's jumping around like it's palsied?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on November 04, 2011, 03:07:45 PM
Sometimes football supporters remind me of 8th grade girls. When they get a BEST FRIEND FOREVER, then they feel it must be necessary to HATE the girl who their BFF competes with.

I'm pretty much willing to bet that around 75% of the anti-Etuhu element rate Sidwell as one of their two or three favorite players. Since they play the same position, it is then incumbent on them to slag off Etuhu every time he plays -- even in a 4-1 victory -- so as to re-emphasize how their BFF is soooo much better.

Etuhu does what Etuhu does very very well. Sidwell is the same, although he's at his very best as a box-to-box midfielder when he stops well short of the opponent's penalty area [and yes, I know he scored last night.] I'm not concerned when either of them is in the lineup because each of them has game smarts and skills, and each of them is going to contribute to the Fulham midfield. Slagging Etuhu's performance last night beause it was inferior to to others on the pitch is silly. I can't think of a player NOT named Lionel Messi for whom you couldn't name a better practitioner in his position.

Lastly, this "Dickson never passes to an teammate more than five yards away" thing is risible. I'm reminded of a friend -- years ago -- who kept saying "They NEVER call traveling in the NBA." He said it so often, that I finally called him on it and said "I"ll give you $5 before the game. You give me $1 every time the ref calls travelling. I think I got $9 in return." Along the same lines, I'd offer  5 quid to anyone before an Etuhu 90 minutes, if they'd give me 1 for each pass he COMPLETES longer than 5 yards.

What's up with FOF? As I'm typing this, it's jumping around like it's palsied?

Thanks for the tip about betting Don, I will try that at the next home game where he plays.

BalDrick

'I'd offer  5 quid to anyone before an Etuhu 90 minutes, if they'd give me 1 for each pass he COMPLETES longer than 5 yards.'

How much do we get when he needlessly gives it away, or like last night has an air shot?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town