watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

career with fulham - help

Started by Irelands_number1, November 06, 2011, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irelands_number1

Im graduating this year from one of the best new universities in europe with a projected 1st class honours degree in finance!
Ill probably go into investment banking or corporate finance but I would love to work with a football club, obviously preferably fulham, does anybody have any advice about how to go about starting a career in finance in football or with fulham more specifically. would be greatly appreciated.

finnster01

Finance in football? You have to throw out everything you learnt at uni because finance in football does not make any sense mate.

If you want to work at Fulham finances I suggest you send a note to MAF's holding company for starters. I suspect if you just contact Fulham they will ignore you but attacking from the very top sometimes gives you at least a toe in the door.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Irelands_number1

thanks finnster, i know i started doing economics of sport last year! got quite a shock, so ive done a lot of research and read a lot of papers and textbooks of finance in sports(most publications are on american sports, but were still useful)
thats a good idea ill follow that up, also i see the premier league club directory has direct phone numbers for a lot of clubs finance departments and heads of finance so I think i may give a few of them a call over the week

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Finance in football is a tricky game

E.G. asking where the money was coming from got Lee Hoos (former MD at Fulham) the sack at Leicester City...

Irelands_number1

So is it a help that ive got no morals whatsoever haha??

Berserker

Yep i expect you have to quickly  learn the art of what you can get away with as a football clubs accountant.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

fulham pete

1st rule for a top accountant;

Don't tell the boss that 2 and 2 make 4.

Ask him what he would like 2 and 2 to make.

BalDrick

Though as a chairman he is an absolute legend, I'm not sure I'd advise working for Fayed. Can be a bit capricious I imagine.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

epsomraver

Quote from: BalDrick on November 06, 2011, 12:19:07 PM
Though as a chairman he is an absolute legend, I'm not sure I'd advise working for Fayed. Can be a bit capricious I imagine.

Fulham pay some of the poorest wages around.

BalDrick

Quote from: epsomraver on November 06, 2011, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on November 06, 2011, 12:19:07 PM

Fulham pay some of the poorest wages around.

Bit of a busman's holiday too I'd imagine.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ron

Quote from: Irelands_number1 on November 06, 2011, 11:32:09 AM
Im graduating this year from one of the best new universities in europe with a projected 1st class honours degree in finance!
Ill probably go into investment banking or corporate finance but I would love to work with a football club, obviously preferably fulham, does anybody have any advice about how to go about starting a career in finance in football or with fulham more specifically. would be greatly appreciated.

Surely they would have taught you there that the world of football favours the economics of the madhouse.

finnster01

There will be an opening for the manager's position soon. You may want to try that.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

alfie

Quote from: finnster01 on November 06, 2011, 06:28:15 PM
There will be an opening for the manager's position soon. You may want to try that.

hey Finn just a question but what exactly have you got against Jol ?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ImperialWhite

Quote from: alfie on November 06, 2011, 06:46:21 PM

Jol used to manage Spurs.

Stands to reason, you know, it's the same reason he also hates Zamora, Murphy, Kelly...

alfie

Quote from: ImperialWhite on November 06, 2011, 06:49:00 PM
Quote from: alfie on November 06, 2011, 06:46:21 PM

Jol used to manage Spurs.

Murphy/Zamora/Kelly all used to play for Spurs does he not like them either

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't