more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old England is Dying...

Started by finnster01, November 07, 2011, 03:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: jarv on November 08, 2011, 02:37:36 PM
not sure about summers being nicer but I remember very cold winter back about 63. Thames even froze a bit didn't it??

From Windsor going upstream, yes.

The last 'big' freeze inside the main London area of the Thames was 1814. The changes to London Bridge (old to new) and works on the embankment (according to sources)  is the given reason there have been no further complete freezes.

CorkedHat

The coldest winter I can remember was 1947. I recall walking around Wandsworth like Eskimo Nell and crying with the cold.
Talking of Andy Wilson (as Mr Peabody was) if I am not mistaken he had an illustration of himself clad in a Chelsea shirt outside his newsagency just up from the Golden Lion.
Given that this was in the heart of Black & White territory plus the fact that the Supporters Club held their meetings in the Golden Lion, you might wonder these days whether he might not have received a brick through his window.
Of course Fulham supporters are far amore tolerant and civilised to do that but it was still risky nonetheless, although until the late sixties it would never have entered anyone's head. As Mr Dylan rightly claims, "The Times they are A Changing". :drums:

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Logicalman

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 08, 2011, 11:10:09 PM
The coldest winter I can remember was 1947. I recall walking around Wandsworth like Eskimo Nell and crying with the cold.

ah yes, young Nell, lovely lady. Reminds me of her ballad ... "When a man grow old ...." Oops, Nursey is here with my medication ..nighty night y'all

finnster01

Quote from: Logicalman on November 08, 2011, 11:33:56 PM

ah yes, young Nell, lovely lady. Reminds me of her ballad ... "When a man grow old ...." Oops, Nursey is here with my medication ..nighty night y'all

"And his balls grow cold..." da da da da etc.  098.gif

And we are not quoting from the famous Bob Dylan/Manfred Mann/Phish/Grateful Dead's (and Sunderland's Niall) Quinn the Eskimo

Phish | 12.30.10 | Quinn the Eskimo
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Logicalman

Come on without, come on within, you'll not see nothing like a Fulham Win ..

Peabody

Talking of Andy Wilson (as Mr Peabody was) if I am not mistaken he had an illustration of himself clad in a Chelsea shirt outside his newsagency just up from the Golden Lion.
Given that this was in the heart of Black & White territory plus the fact that the Supporters Club held their meetings in the Golden Lion, you might wonder these days whether he might not have received a brick through his window.
Of course Fulham supporters are far amore tolerant and civilised to do that but it was still risky nonetheless, although until the late sixties it would never have entered anyone's head. As Mr Dylan rightly claims, "The Times they are A Changing". :drums:

Agree with you on 1947, however, have to disagree about the shirt in the window. I used to go in there quite regularly and even taking into account my age, cannot remember a picture in the window.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on November 09, 2011, 08:40:01 AM

Agree with you on 1947, however, have to disagree about the shirt in the window. I used to go in there quite regularly and even taking into account my age, cannot remember a picture in the window.

It wasn't a shirt in the window - it was like a big cardboard cut-out. I can see it now in my mind's eye. It used to hang above the door. I don't think that on reflection too many people gave it much thought because those were the days when it was Fulham one week and Chelsea the other and our loyalties were far more ambivalent than they are today
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

bog

Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Moore. Three top captains of their country when it was such an honour to do so. I recall Kevin Keegan in his playing days causing controversy by saying basically that it was no big deal captaining the England team. Emmm....