https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (09/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 09, 2011, 07:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The Dickson effect

Graph City, Arizona.

I looked at Dickson's games for us over the last four seasons and divided the matches according to the pre-match odds of a Fulham win. This was a bit arbitrary, but the half in which Fulham were shortest odds were designated "easy", the half where odds were longer were designated "hard".

Then I split the games to see whether they were home or away, and whether Dickson started or not.  The bars represent points per game, with Dickson the lower of the two bars.

The results?

We're better in away games with Dickson playing, easy or hard match.

Easy home games are a bit of a wash.

But the difficult home games are where we find an issue: we do much better in the difficult home games without Dickson than with him.  This might make some sense or might not: he's picked for these games because it feels like we might need the extra defensive oomph, but perhaps the level of the opponent takes him one step beyond his comfort level.  But if that were true we'd see the same effect in away games.   Perhaps in home games we do well against the good teams when we take the initiative, and that's harder to do with Dickson in the side.

Interesting.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/the-dickson-effect/?

WhiteJC

Holiday Course Success

Fulham Football Club Foundation delivered their week long October Half Term courses recently. The courses were well attended with 489 young children participating on the courses across 7 venues in the Foundations London and Surrey area.

The courses had a high number of players enjoying their football, with 143 young people participating on Tuesday at Hurlingham Park – This was the biggest attendance on a single day. The Foundations Holiday Course sessions were well received by participants; Alex Stoner (aged 6 years) attended Hurlingham Park and commented:

"I love going to the holiday football camps because I meet lots of new friends and the coaches teach us new skills but I really love the tournament we play at the end so I can score goals!"

Alex's mother, Pep Stoner, spoke of the work Fulham FC Foundation deliver during the holiday periods:

"My two sons recently took part in the Fulham Football Club Foundation October half term holiday camp and each holiday these camps have now become a regular fixture in our holiday diaries as the boys love going and look forward to it.  They continue to progress and learn new football skills, see their friends and most importantly just enjoy playing football all day.  The coaches are superb - patient, fair but fun."

Over the half term period, over 40 Foundation coaches delivered 720 coaching hours throughout the week!

Fulham FC Foundation Holiday Courses will return over the Christmas period.

To find out more about dates and locations visit fulhamfc.com/holidaycourses or call 0870 442 5432 to book.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/OctoberHolidayCoursesReview.aspx?#ixzz1dBuHy0CR

WhiteJC

Defeat with Honour

Our dismal record in London derbies continues with yet another loss to Spurs. But what a gutsy show in making strong and in form opponents look second rate. It bodes well for the future.

We've had to take it on the chin for the second home game running. Same scoreline, and this time our pain doubling with goals out of nothing arriving with the last attack of each half. The standard at this level is merciless. On Sunday it was Fulham's Sidwell who came within a whisker of giving the Whites a dream start from our first attack, only for us to then gift Spurs a very preventable opener. Then we're on the back foot for all of the first half.

Do we need to name the guilty party for a costly misjudgment on the crossfield ball over to Walker on the right flank after 10 minutes? Too slow to cut out the pass, then hopelessly wrong-footed when diving in. The ball across the box could have gone anywhere, Bale's driven cut-back is only heading to any one of three Fulham men - of course, it has to fly in off the unlucky Baird.

Boy, did Spurs ride their luck. 20 efforts on goal from Fulham to five for the Spuds, eleven corners to one, and still no Fulham man can put the ball in the net. Unrelenting pressure, all culminating with Walker during a real goalmouth stramash cuddling the ball in his arms as if lying on the beach. Everyone saw it except ref Walton, who 'apologises' to us afterwards.

But, having wiped away my tears, here I am by Tuesday feeling a damn sight more optimistic than I did a week ago after the appalling effort up at Wigan. First off, as we all knew but most journalists barely acknowledged, Fulham had out eight men who'd seen action on the Thursday in the Europa League. Spurs had one - which means ten of their players were fresh. Secondly, I have never seen the likes of Bale, Modric, Parker and Adebayor kept so quiet over the course of 90 minutes. Did Mark have a save of note to make in the second half? The centre backs were immaculate, Dembele unrecognisable. Everybody worked their socks off.

Yet we come out of it with nothing, and slip a little closer to the bottom three. Jol got lucky that AJ's ankle knock allowed him to sidestep a tough decision. That enabled him to retain Duff as our one real wide player and bring back Moussa. As I've been on his case recently let me say he was one of Fulham's heroes of the hour, running at defenders with real purpose. Now, if only he could learn to be more clinical with his shooting opportunities. Following the international break I'm intrigued to see Jol's selection next up - because someone from Duff, Moussa and AJ is going to have to start on the bench. From what the gaffer's been saying in incidental sound bytes, I can't see the axe hovering over Zamo or Clint. What would Fulham fans prefer?

The one issue remaining with our rather stubborn leader is, what do you do with a problem like Riise? I flagged it after the Wisla game. Fans all over the ground are of one mind. Read the forums Martin...it's not working out at left-back! I'd like to know what Matty Briggs has done on the training ground not to be given another shot in the first team. Harsh to criticise him from the Wisla away game when we had to play for an hour a man short. If you still feel Briggs is learning his craft boss switch Bairdinho over to left-back (he's done it before) and let Kelly have a run. It still gives you two current internationals at full-back, rather than the fading star that is JAR.

As every Fulham fan who saw the game has been saying, we are in a false position. Yes, we have some tough fixtures between now and the end of the year, but we are playing more expressive football than 12 months ago (labouring up front without BZ).

And our luck will change at some point. Peering into the crystal ball, is Ruiz the man to assume Danny's role at the head of a midfield diamond? He certainly looked the part when he came on. His ability to quickly get the ball under control and find space (unlike Sidwell or Etuhu), and run at defences was very encouraging to see. And as everyone observed, his killer ball down the side to Dempsey all but gave us a goal. From what I've seen of the Costa Rican, he has a footballing brain to supplement his skill. And that is what's going to mark him out as special.

We talked of Jol's task in juggling all his big names to fit the bigger picture going forward - which in the short term means fighting a relegation battle whether we like it or not. Even more critical is the moment he decides Danny is no longer an automatic starter. The process I think has begun. Ever since the Stoke loss through two late goals, the skipper is being routinely subbed on the hour mark. Clearly Jol does not want to see Fulham's midfield melting away in the final third of games, it's going to cost us over the season.

A two week break gives us all chance to draw breath, though not most of our first team, called into international duty. Will Bobby be given a chance by Capello? A goal Sunday would have helped...not that BZ let the side down. Far from it. But I would like to see more of him in the heart of the box and hunting goals. His contribution is great pulling defenders out of the middle and coming deep to play his flicks and feints. But the reason we lost a very winnable game Sunday against one of the league's top teams was simple - lack of a really sharp finisher.

That deficiency could be rectified in January. Whatever, as Hughes was repeating ad nauseam this time last year, we'll come on strong after Christmas. After another enforced change across all the backroom staff over the summer, I guess that's the way it has to be.

The glass is certainly half full, so let's keep the faith and give the side all the support we can through to January. Hey, we've still got another Europa League final to look forward to - hopefully with a different result. Yes, I'm Fulham through and through, but I'm fed up with always coming second!

Keep the faith Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/11/defeat_with_honour.php?

WhiteJC

Fulham Have Not Given Up On Landing Ajax Hit Man

Martin Jol has stepped up his chase for Ajax forward Mounir El Hamdaoui, and will be buoyed by the fact that the Dutch club have hired a British agent.

Hamdaoui was signed from fellow Eredivisie team AZ Alkmaar in 2010 by now Fulham boss Martin Jol, and Hamdaoui has scored 30 goals in 57 games for the Amsterdam club but that doesn't seem enough for current manager Frank De Boer who has told the Moroccan international to find a new club.

Ajax were close to selling the forward to Espanyol however the move broke down after Ajax refused to allow the player to leave on Loan initially, with them preferring to offload Hamdaoui on a permanent, and now it seems that De Boer has stepped up his efforts to sell the player by hiring a british based agent to help find a club in England who are interested and Martin Jol will once again attempt to sign the player for Fulham after it was expected the player would move with Jol though a fee could not be agreed.

Blackburn are reportedly interested in the poacher however it seems Fulham are leading the chase as Hamdaoui is keen to link up with Jol once again.

http://www.footylatest.com/fulham-have-not-given-up-on-landing-ajax-hit-man/25229?

WhiteJC

Wisla sack manager after slump

Sacked Wisla Krakow coach Robert Maaskant bid the Polish champions farewell on Tuesday after a slump in form that included a Europa League drubbing by Fulham and a loss to hometown rivals Cracovia.

"I didn't get an actual leaving gift from the players. The best gift was the look on their faces when they said goodbye, and what they told me in the dressing room," the Dutchman was quoted as saying on Wisla's website.

Maaskant got the chop after the weekend's league action saw Wisla suffer a humiliating 1-0 loss in the high-profile Krakow derby.

Cracovia, who escaped relegation by a whisker last season and are locked at the foot of the table this term, had not won the so-called 'holy war' for 28 years.

Even though the result still left Wisla sixth in Poland's 16-club first division, Maaskant had been on a knife-edge since last week's 4-1 defeat by Fulham in their Europa League fixture in London.

The thrashing left Wisla bottom of Group K, behind Denmark's Odense, Fulham and Dutch club Twente.

Wisla's board was unforgiving, even though Maaskant's squad has been plagued by injuries that have sidelined stalwarts such as Israeli-Polish midfielder Maor Melikson.

Wisla are among the powerhouses of the Polish league, notching up nine titles in the past 10 years and finishing second three times in the same period.

Maaskant, 42, arrived from Dutch club Breda in August 2010 and steered Wisla to the 13th title in their 105-year history last season.

He has been replaced by his former assistant manager, former Poland international Kazimierz Moskal, 44.

Maaskant's praise of Krakow was seen as one of the reasons why Holland picked the picturesque southern city as their base during the 2012 European Championship, which will be hosted by Poland and neighbouring Ukraine.

"We will be able to train in excellent conditions at the Wisla stadium, which has a great pitch," the 1988 champions' manager Bert van Marwijk told Internet magazine Voetbal International last month.

On Monday, England also announced they would be based in Krakow, while Italy are expected to pick the city as well.

http://www.supersport.com/football/europe/news/111108/Wisla_sack_manager_after_slump

WhiteJC

Hangeland Hits Out

The fallout from our failure to get anything from the Spurs game continues to generate column inches.

Although our efforts received praise from several quarters, we`re left to rue the fact despite all our strenuous efforts, we came away from the game with nothing of significance.

Brede Hangeland, a rock in defence and assisting at set-pieces when we were on the offensive, has his own views on the match and has commented to the media,

"We played really well, especially in the second half but they (Spurs) were definitely more clinical. I don`t know how many chances they had - not many - we certainly had more."

"I think we`ve shown over the last few years that on our day we can outplay most teams. It is just about putting the ball in the back of the net. We didn`t do that against Spurs, otherwise it was a great performance."

It was but in the months to come the fact that we dominated a good Spurs team, will be long forgotten

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261962#ixzz1dBvwOneP

WhiteJC

Zamora on England Chance

Spain or Sweden?

One game in which Bobby Zamora will need to grasp the bull by the horns and cement his claim as the striker Fabio Capello sees as the one to replace whilst Wayne Rooney is suspended.

Speaking about his England chance, Zamora has recognized that he`s not a direct replacement for Rooney but that he brings other facets to the table, commenting in the tabloid media about Rooney and the forthcoming Euro 2012 finals,

"I think you still have to take Wayne, as in my eye he is a very special player. But that may just open up one more door for another player."

"I am not saying I play the same game as Wayne but holding the ball up and bringing people into play is an important part of what I do for Fulham. I`ve had quite a few assists this season (four in eight games).

"If I haven`t scored but I`ve set one up, it`s still been a good day."

I`m not sure if Fabio would view it that way, I reckon he likes his strikers to score goals!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261963#ixzz1dBwB2Z6x

WhiteJC

Crawley Not Interested!

A hands-off warning has been issued!

Apparently, Fulham`s interest in the twenty-six year old Crawley Town hot-shot, Tyrone Barnett, has received a huge 'hands-off` response from the ambitious club who are seeking to earn back-to-back promotions are getting out of the Conference last May.

Although their ambition is to be admired, you can`t help wondering if the player might have liked to have had his say with regards to our interest!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261964#ixzz1dBwQ7J00

WhiteJC

Grygera Injury Update!

From the moment Zdenek Grygera let out a scream after twisting his knee on the Craven Cottage turf, you knew it was a bad injury.

Carried away on a stretcher with an oxygen mask strapped to his face to relieve the pain, I feared that our defenders season was over.

Yesterday, an MRI scan revealed that he had sustained ligament damage to his knee but the prognosis, with regards to time out, isn`t as bad as first feared.

It appears that Grygera will be unavailable for selection for a period of two months, not as bad as first feared but still a huge blow to our club as we contemplate a hectic period whereby our Premier League and Europa League campaigns continue at a heady pace.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261965#ixzz1dBwferRM

WhiteJC

Dembele Move?

The sheer audacity of it!

Just who do Spurs think they are?

Having robbed us of any point sin a Sunday afternoon thriller at Craven Cottage, the word on the street is that the White Hart Lane outfit are now looking to deprive us of the services of Moussa Dembele.

The grapevine is alive with the inference that Spurs are set to launch a £10 million bid for the player, possibly in the January transfer window.

Dembele, who gave Spurs the runaround on Sunday, is well thought of by Martin Jol with our Dutch manager remarking about the player,

"Moussa Dembele is a very gifted player. He gave Tottenham lots of problems."

"In a few months, maybe a year, he will be like Rafa van der Vaart.

"Dembele will learn and go on to become one of the best players in the Premier League."

Now I was hoping that would be with us on the banks of the River Thames not at some rundown suburb of N17!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261966#ixzz1dBwzL525

WhiteJC

Take a bow! Ten years on from Duff's memorable celebration, Ireland plot international return

If Damien Duff has one regret in his career you wonder if it was that oriental bow in Japan which marked his goal against Saudi Arabia.

Although not one of the greatest goals he scored for his country, nor one of the most significant, his well-rehearsed celebration in front of Ireland's travelling supporters will go down as one of the most memorable moments of the Fulham winger's international career.

If Ireland do return to the international stage this summer, it will be 10 years since Duff delighted Irish fans across the globe. But it turns out he had quite an impact on football followers from the Far East too.

Take a bow, son! Duff celebrates his goal against Saudi Arabia in Yokohama

His Fulham team-mate Stephen Kelly revealed: 'I think Duffer has the biggest majority of Asian fans because of that signature bow.

'It is amazing the number of Asian fans who come over to him and come to the ground to see him.

'It's unbelievable the respect he has because of that, although he gets a little bit of mickey taking from the lads over it.'

So does he enjoy the attention? Kelly laughs. 'You know Damien,' he says. So that'll be a no, then.

Kelly was just 18 and among the youngsters at Spurs dreaming of a future in the game when Ireland last made their entrance on the world stage.

He watched the drama from the Far East unfold in the Tolka Rovers clubhouse with future wife Helga, herself a basketball player at the club. They were in Phoenix Park to welcome Mick McCarthy and the troops home.

No wonder he understands what is at stake as the Republic of Ireland prepare for play-off number seven against Estonia this week.

Magic moment: Duff scores Ireland's third against the Saudis (below)

'I was living every kick of every game,' he said. 'You can't help but get into it.

'I know what it was like when the team went to that World Cup. I was there cheering us on with all my friends and family so if we get there now it would be the same as that again.

'The way the country is now, with a lot of things happening that are not looking good, I think it would be a great boost for the country if we could qualify.

'It would put a smile on people's faces and people could focus on something else, away from the negatives.'

Kelly will keep his place in the Irish back four this week with John O'Shea absent and he has now played across the defence during the Euro 2012 campaign.

The former Birmingham defender, who captained the Ireland team in the Aviva Stadium last season, has had to be patient to make his mark in Giovanni Trapattoni's side.

But a place in the squad which will travel to Poland and Ukraine awaits.

Irish eyes: Ireland are favourites to win the play-off

Kelly said: 'I played the last game, obviously at left back, but now I have the chance to play at right back. As they say, some person's misfortune is another person's gain.

'It's disappointing not to have Josh in the team and the squad as he is such a big and experienced player.

'But for me, hopefully it's another chance for me to play and to continue on the good run of form I have had recently.

'I have played an awful lot of games in this campaign now in the last couple of months and I have really enjoyed it.

'I feel I have contributed a lot to what we have done and what we have achieved so far. Hopefully, I can continue in that vein and in the next couple of games do that again and get us to a championship. That would be amazing.

'I have been far more involved. I came into the squad when I was 19 and 20 and been in it since and I would probably not have as many caps as I would like or should have.

'But this campaign has been good for me as I have had the chance to play in the big games and let me stamp my mark and show people what I can do.'

At Fulham, Kelly has been used more for the club's Europa League campaign than in the Barclays Premier League.

An injury to Czech defender Zdenik Grygera at the weekend means Kelly could return to action next week. He is looking at a longer run in the Fulham side when this week's international business is taken care of, and is optimistic about the future.

At least this season's experiences can only help for his next two games for his country.

Kelly added: 'I don't get too chances to play against English players too often but Europe has been great and it gives you a great boost for these games and gives you an insight into these teams and what these players are like and how they set up against you.

'It's been a frustrating season. I have been sort of rambling through the games and performing so I feel good, I feel fit and I am really looking forward to these games.

Team players: Kelly and Duff in action with west London club Fulham

'It's all that Damien and myself can talk about in the last few weeks. We have been saying basically how big the games are and how much is riding on them.

They are so important and obviously we have not achieved anything yet. We have had a good campaign and got ourselves into a good position and can qualify.

'It would be such a  shame to let all that hard work and effort go to waste. So we are very determined as a team and everybody can see the close knit unit that we are.

'It's been the same group of players for a long time now and we are all desperate to get to this tournament.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059152/Republic-Ireland-plot-international-return.html#ixzz1dBxHgIbx

WhiteJC

BJORN HELGE RIISE'S FULHAM CAREER OVER

FULHAM will look to offload £2m midfielder Bjorn Helge Riise, 28, in the January transfer window. He has been sent back to the Cottagers after failing to impress while on loan at Portsmouth.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/282638/Bjorn-Helge-Riise-s-Fulham-career-over-?

WhiteJC

Kelly out to stake claim for club and country

THERE MUST be times when that season a few years back he was the only outfield player in the Premier League to play every minute of every game seems a very long time ago to Stephen Kelly.

Too much of the rest of his career, he could be forgiven for complaining, has been spent doing what managers say players should do when they're not playing regularly: training hard, waiting patiently and looking to grab every opportunity that presents itself.

If Kelly complains, though, he does it in private. Through all his ups and down during what is now starting to push on towards a decade either in or around the Irish squad he has never, it seemed, uttered an angry word about being seen as something of a bit part player and as he sits and contemplates games that may be the gateway to his first major international tournament, he really has no need to anymore. His moment may just have come.

It was 2007/08 when Kelly was an ever present at Birmingham but within a matter of months he had lost his place and was on his way out, first to Stoke on loan and then, in the summer of the following year to Fulham where he has struggled to fully establish himself as a regular.

Including his time at Spurs Kelly has comfortably more than 100 top flight games under his belt at this stage but just 20 have come since he arrived at Craven Cottage more than two years ago – a period during which he has actually appeared more times for his current club in Europe and Ireland on the international stage than he has for the Londoners in all three domestic competitions.

Characteristically, he has an upbeat take on it ahead of the trip to Tallinn where he is likely to win his 29th international cap. "It gives you a great boost for these games and an insight into these teams and what these players are like and how they set up against you."

Sure enough, only last week he got to play against a Wisla Krakow side that included regular Estonian goalkeeper Sergei Pareiko which by itself gives him a bit of a head start on most of his team mates when it comes to weighing up Friday night's opponents. Damien Duff, as it happens, did go one better by scoring one of Fulham's four goals in the match.

Since then, Kelly's club fortunes have effectively been boosted by serious injury to Zdenek Grygera, the Czech international right back to damaged knee ligaments in Sunday's game against Tottenham and who could not be out for the rest of the season.

Nobody wished the injury on him but players know that these things make for opportunities and managers need them to take them. That's the game and Kelly, just as he hopes to advance his international reputation in the absence of John O'Shea in Estonia, will aim to make the most of the situation.

"If I go back (to Fulham) now then there's a good chance that I will be starting due to the injury that Grygera has," he acknowledges. "I actually think that in the games that I've played I've done well enough to get a starting place without somebody's misfortune but it's football and these things happen."

At international level they have been happening a little more regularly of late and so, having hovered between earning three and five caps a year for each of the last five years, Kelly will almost certainly make his ninth appearance of 2011 for Ireland in Tallinn with the Dubliner having a good shot of making it to double figures on Tuesday given the scale of John O'Shea's injury and the number of bookings being carried into the first play-off by Irish players.

His versatility has certainly helped to endear him to Trapattoni who handed him the captain's armband in the game against Uruguay and has started him at centre and left back in recent games. On Friday, though, it will be back to his preferred right hand side.

"Yeah, hopefully it's another chance for me to play and to continue on the good run of form I have had recently," he says. "I've played an awful lot of games in the last couple of months and I've really enjoyed it. I've been far more involved.

"I actually came into the squad when I was 19 or 20 and have been in it since but I wouldn't have as many caps as I would like or should have. This campaign has been good for me, though; I've had the chance to play in big games, to make my mark and show people what I can do.

"I feel I've contributed a lot to what we've done and what we've achieved so far. Hopefully, I can continue in that vein and help get us to a championship. That would be amazing."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1109/1224307251251.html?

WhiteJC

Duo withdraw from Under 21s
Bennett and Briggs suffer injuries; Flanagan and Barkley join U19s

Ryan Bennett and Matthew Briggs have withdrawn from the England Under 21 squad for their European Championship qualifying double-header with Iceland and Belgium.

Defender Bennett, who made his debut in October's 2-1 win over Norway, has returned to Peterborough after reporting for international duty with an injury.

Fulham full-back Matthew Briggs was due to meet up with Stuart Pearce's squad on Tuesday, but has also suffered an injury and will remain with his club.

Meanwhile, Liverpool's John Flanagan and Everton's Ross Barkley have left the U21s in order to cover two injuries in the U19s for Thursday's game against Denmark.

Flanagan and Barkley will therefore miss Thursday's U21s Group 8 qualifier at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, but will re-join Pearce's squad for Monday's match in Belgium.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/7299514/

WhiteJC

Top of the Table

Fulham's Under 18s went three points clear at the top of Group A of the Premier Academy League with a 2-1 victory over Charlton Athletic last weekend. The win highlighted the excellent work Kit Symons and his players have been producing this season.

"I've been really pleased with the way the boys have performed and also their application – the way they've approached games," Symons reflected. "I said at the start of the season that we're not the biggest physically, whereas last season we were quite strong. But we've got some really good technical players.

"We can't compete with a lot of these teams if it gets to a physical battle, but we need to be able to compete and challenge. We've got one way of playing and that's to get the ball down and pass it quickly with good movement.

"The players have really taken that on board and the results so far have shown that we're trying to do the right things.

"We played Charlton on Saturday, they are a good side with big players up front. Physically they were a lot stronger than us, they had good pace up top and good movement. We knew we had to compete with them and we did, we defended really well and restricted them largely to shots from distance.

"We were two-nil up going into the 92nd minute when we conceded a goal, but that wasn't a bad thing because it allowed me to give the boys some stick. Overall, we defended against a big, strong side really well.

"We've still got a lot of work to do, but the players are showing a fantastic attitude, a real togetherness as a group and a winning mentality – you can't ask for much more."

Over the course of the season so far Symons' players have also produced fine form away from home, with key victories coming against Birmingham City, Aston Villa and Arsenal.

"We've had some fantastic away results," Symons agreed. "We won against Birmingham earlier on in the season and we beat Aston Villa 4-0 away from home, which was an excellent performance. We also beat Arsenal 4-3 away. You know going to Arsenal is always going to be a good football match because they always get the ball down and pass it.

"When we started off it was an absolute horror show. We were 2-0 down after about six minutes – so I wasn't in the best of moods, as you could imagine. In playing a team like Arsenal, you expect them to create great chances, but when you actually gift them two goals you're giving yourself a mountain to climb.

"Full credit to the character of the players, we came in at half-time 3-2 up. Arsenal then pulled it back to 3-3 before we got the winner towards the end of the game.

"It was an interesting game; me and Steve Bould were pulling our hair out. Actually, Bouldy was pulling out what little hair he had left and mine just went even greyer. For two ex-centre-halves on the line – the defending from our teams was unbelievable.

"To win at Arsenal is always a good result. Football is about winning games, ideally you want to do it in the right way but sometimes you can't do that – you've got to grind results out. You've got to be able to win different games in different ways. That's part of the boys' education, if you just teach them to win nice games of football you're doing them a disservice."

Despite his side topping the table, Symons has also identified areas where his team still needs to improve upon.

"Over the course of the season, we've conceded goals very early and late on in games," he explained. "That's happened a couple of times in really good performances, which stopped us getting a clean sheet.

"We need to tighten up, we play some fantastic attacking football and that starts from whichever keeper we've got in goal. They start the play from the back and we look to pass through midfield. The attacking as a team has been excellent at times this year – but we can tighten up on the defending.

"There's a real good work ethic here, they work ever so hard during the week in training and that's reflected in the way we play in games. After the Arsenal game, for example, their physio came up to us and said, 'you've got some really fit players there'. It was a really hot day and we looked fit and strong at the end of the game – which is testament to the work our fitness and conditioning guys do with the players."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/SymonsAcademyUpdate.aspx?#ixzz1dC7scxjp

WhiteJC

Through the Ranks

Since arriving at the Club the summer before last, Ronnie Minkwitz has been something of a revelation for the Fulham Academy.

Playing with a maturity beyond his tender years, the German youngster has continually turned heads with his performances on the pitch standing him out as one of the Club's brightest prospects.

Prowling the pitch and dictating play with pin-point passes or crunching tackles, Minkwitz is a real midfield dynamo. A catalyst for some of the Under-18s brightest moves, he is also the scorer of spectacular goals.

Such has been his form and commitment to the cause, Kit Symons handed him the captain's armband for the current campaign, a responsibility with which the 17-year-old appears to be thriving.

After a difficult start to life at Fulham I feel really at home here now – in fact I now see England as my home. I'm in my second year, and on and off the pitch I feel very settled. I love the football in this country and it really suits my style of play. I like the physical battles and making tackles, but at the same time I like to get on the ball and make things happen for the team.

Things have gone well for me so far, but I have worked really hard to make that happen. I like to set targets, and thankfully I've managed to achieve all of the short-term ones. Kit certainly thinks I have done well because he made me his captain – which was a very proud moment for me. I know that he believes in my ability and I hope I can repay that faith.

A lot of responsibility comes with the captain's armband, but I'm enjoying that. I've always liked to play my part, but with the captaincy you have to offer more - you are a leader and someone that has to set an example. I've always been a vocal player and if I can help my team-mates in any way then that is great. You have to be the best that you can be at all times, and I think I will become a better player for the experience.

When I first came into the team I was probably a bit too excitable – I wanted to do everything - taking corners, free-kicks, penalties and throw-ins. I was told not to run so much and to conserve my energy. I had a habit of diving into tackles as well, and these are all things that I have worked on improving. I have toned down now, and am more aware of the job I have to do in the centre of midfield. I think people are right when they say that "less is more"!

My energy and versatility are still two of my strengths as a player though. I've also worked hard on my heading and weaker foot - I just want to improve as much as I can. People also say that I am a good passer of the ball.

Winning our section of the Premier Academy League last season was one of the highlights of my time in football so far – it was fantastic. As captain I want to help the team to another successful season this year too. At the moment we are top of the league again, and I want us to stay there. I think the team is stronger now, so that makes it exciting to think what we can achieve together. There is still a long way to go though, but we have to have the belief that we can do well.

As I progress at Fulham, the next step is, of course, the Development Squad. I have played a few times for Billy McKinlay but would like to establish myself further. It's a good target for us young players, and you can learn so much from moving up and playing that level of football. Hopefully I will get my chance to show what I can do as the season moves on.

I have seen my friend Kerim Frei make his First Team debut this season and that has given us all hope that we can do the same one day. He's a brilliant player and has done very well when he's been asked to play. He was playing alongside the rest of us in the Under-18s last year, so it's great to see. He has gone from team-mate to role model and we are all very pleased for him.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/ThroughtheRanksMinkwitz.aspx#ixzz1dC8Aax7W

WhiteJC

Right at Home

John, you're almost four months into your time at Fulham – how have things gone for you so far?

I think it has gone well for me so far, although of course, you always want more for your team and as an individual.

I don't think we have had the results that our performances have deserved at times, but the signs are certainly there. There is a lot of quality in this team and hopefully we can show that by moving up the table.

Personally, I'm happy with how I have played so far, but I do I think there is a lot more to come.

You spent several seasons with Liverpool prior to your move to AS Roma. Was a return to England this summer always the aim for you?

When I left Liverpool in 2008 I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new country. Italy was an intriguing option for me and again, it was a move that offered me a chance to improve and to become a better player.

But after three years, I can't deny that the ambition was to return to England, the place where I feel I have enjoyed my most successful period as a player. The football in this country suits my style of play. I like to run a lot, fight, tackle; I love the passion, the fans and the pressure that you get from playing in the Premier League.

I don't think there is any other league in the world where you would find all that.

Your previous spell was particularly significant in terms of success and trophies won, but what are your targets now?

Of course, it is slightly different here because this Club is not necessarily expected to win trophies every season.

But there is a sense that with this group of players Fulham has the potential to win something – and I want to be part of that. The Club reached a European Final not too long ago and now we have to be looking at establishing ourselves amongst the top eight clubs in the league.

To see that happen and to do well in one of the cup competitions is the challenge here and it would give me great satisfaction.

You are also playing alongside your Norway team-mate Brede Hangeland – how highly do you rate him?

Well, he's one of the best, and he's done so well at Fulham. He is good in the air, good on the ball and reads the game really well.

We have played alongside one another for many years for the national team and we work well together – I know he wanted me to sign for the Club in the summer.

I play at left-back and he tends to play on the left of the central defensive pairing so we are very familiar with each other's game. He's become a big player here and hopefully I can do the same.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/JARiiseInterview.aspx#ixzz1dC8UjUN6

WhiteJC

Schwarzer Targets 2014

Mark Schwarzer has spoken of his desire to represent Australia at the 2014 World Cup Finals in Brazil and judging by current form and fitness, Fulham's No.1 goalkeeper is set to grace the domestic and international stage for a good few years yet.

"When I look at people like Brad [Friedel] and Edwin [van der Sar] last season, people who can still perform at this level at 40-years-old, it gives me inspiration and I want to carry on as long as I can continue to play well and enjoy my football," said Schwarzer.

Schwarzer's highly professional approach to fitness, which includes lengthy gym and pilates sessions, will hopefully aid his ambition to reach Brazil in 2014, as the goalkeeper explains.

"I think the way the game is today and what you have at football clubs helps you to take care of yourself," said Schwarzer. "If you keep that as a player you have a fantastic opportunity.

"We have that at this Club with the Sports Medicine and Exercise Science department and I exploit them as much as I can. I try to stay as fit as possible and train as much as I can.

"I've done a bit of yoga but it's not something I get a lot of done, it's more pilates, which I've been doing for four to five years at least. That has helped me massively with reflexes and mobility. That and a lot of gym work.

"The World Cup in 2014 is definitely an aim, and then we will see what happens."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/SchwarzerWorldCupTarget.aspx#ixzz1dC93Y8Mu

WhiteJC

More on Dickson

Okay, here's some more. One thing to clarify is that we're approaching this from a position of Etuhu positivism: we think he's a good player and adds a lot to the team.  But a lot of people are criticising him at the moment so, just as we did with Zamora back in the day, it seems worthwhile to have a closer look to see if we can find anything interesting.

Yesterday we noted that – for whatever reason – the team has done better in home games against good teams when Dickson's not playing.  Today here's a look at all the teams Dickson's beaten, and all the teams we've beaten without him:

Wins when Dickson started:

Aston Villa
Birmingham
Blackburn
Blackpool
Burnley
Everton
Man City
Man United
Newcastle
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Stoke
Stoke
Stoke
West Brom
West Brom
Wigan
Wolves

Wins when Dickson didn't start

Arsenal
Birmingham
Blackburn
Bolton
Bolton
Hull
Liverpool
Man United
Middlesbrough
Newcastle
Newcastle
Portsmouth
QPR
Sunderland
Sunderland
Tottenham
West Ham
Wigan
Wigan
Wigan

The things that stand out:

Three wins against Stoke with Etuhu starting; no wins against Stoke without Etuhu starting.

We know how to beat Wigan, eh?

Otherwise, not so much. We've only beaten Wolves once and he started then; ditto our two wins over WBA, but I don't think they tell us all that much. What do you think? Any real differences between the two lists, beyond the Stoke effect?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/more-on-dickson/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star eyes milestone

CLINT Dempsey has set his sights on breaking Brian McBride's record of most goals scored by a US player in the Premier League.
Dempsey took his tally to 36 league goals in last week's win against Wigan to equal the milestone set by the former Fulham frontman.
And the 28-year-old hopes he can beat that number in next week's clash with Sunderland.
He said: "I like scoring goals and it's great to get up to those numbers.

"But hopefully I can keep pushing that higher and there's other milestones I can reach."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/11/09/fulham-star-eyes-milestone-64767-29741818/?