https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (09/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 09, 2011, 07:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 09, 2011, 07:36:19 AM

Hangeland Hits Out

The fallout from our failure to get anything from the Spurs game continues to generate column inches.

Although our efforts received praise from several quarters, we`re left to rue the fact despite all our strenuous efforts, we came away from the game with nothing of significance.

Brede Hangeland, a rock in defence and assisting at set-pieces when we were on the offensive, has his own views on the match and has commented to the media,

"We played really well, especially in the second half but they (Spurs) were definitely more clinical. I don`t know how many chances they had - not many - we certainly had more."

"I think we`ve shown over the last few years that on our day we can outplay most teams. It is just about putting the ball in the back of the net. We didn`t do that against Spurs, otherwise it was a great performance."

It was but in the months to come the fact that we dominated a good Spurs team, will be long forgotten

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=261962#ixzz1dBvwOneP

Interesting that key a player points to the fact that we lack a clinical finish. The bottom line is key though. The fact that we dominated Spurs will be long forgotten if we fail to make progress alongside losing out to the four teams where the opposition keeper had a stormer, the Everton game and the Baggies away. Defoe, who played right up the middle as a quintessential No.9, had one attempt on target and it caused enough problems to end up in the net. How much will be set aside for Mr Clinical come January.  

WhiteJC

Everton keen on Fulham target

Everton are trying to arrange a loan deal for Valencia midfielder Dani Parejo, but Fulham are also interested.

The former QPR man is out of favour at Valencia, where he has failed to settle since joining in the summer from Getafe, and he has only featured for the side twice so a move looks to be on the cards.

He is currently discussing his options with his representatives but a loan move in the New Year looks to be the most likely and David Moyes will be hoping he can land the player ahead of Martin Jol at Fulham.

Arsenal have also been linked but, having signed Mikel Arteta from Everton in the summer, their interest has waned.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/everton-keen-on-fulham-target-1332706.html?#.Trps-2AlE98

WhiteJC

Kelly hoping lightning strikes twice in battle with Estonian 'keeper

THE Irish duo at Fulham have talked about little else but the Euro 2012 play-off in recent weeks, and they were given added reason last Thursday evening.

Stephen Kelly and Damien Duff got a close look at Estonian 'keeper Sergei Pareiko in their side's Europa League clash with Wisla Krakow at Craven Cottage.

They were impressed with the contribution of the 34-year-old, who graduated to the No 1 role for his country after the retirement of Mart Poom.

However, they'll be hoping that he suffers similar frustration in Tallinn on Friday. Pareiko had to pick the ball out of the net on four occasions in London, and it was the boot of Duff that delivered the opening goal.

Kelly hopes that it's a good omen.

"Duffer has one up on him already," said the full-back, who is set to start in the first leg because of John O'Shea's absence, "although it's all down to the day.

"From what we saw, he seems steady enough but I am sure we will be testing him. He looked decent and pulled off a few good saves.

"He is quite tall -- he's well over six feet -- and he seems to be quite agile as well. He did not come off the line for many -- he stayed on his line and, like many continental 'keepers, he didn't want to come out of his box too often."

Performer

Kelly is an experienced European performer at this stage of his career.

"I don't get the chance to play against English players too often," he joked.

During his stint with Fulham, the affable Dubliner has featured frequently in the Europa League. Frustratingly, when it comes to the Premier League sphere, he is pushed to the bench.

Things have improved slightly this season. After failing to get a look-in under Mark Hughes, the arrival of Martin Jol has increased his playing time. With first-choice right-full Zdenek Grygera picking up an injury at the weekend, Kelly knows that opportunities will follow.

"I think that in games I've played, I've done well enough to get a starting place without somebody's misfortune," he stated.

That is his role in the Irish camp, though, and the 28-year-old has stepped into the breach more than once in this campaign. He deputised for O'Shea in Moscow, and for Stephen Ward at left-back against Armenia last month.

After coming into the squad under Brian Kerr, he has waited a long time to play such an active part in a qualification campaign, and he struggles to disguise his excitement at the possible reward.

He remembers the mood of euphoria when Duff was performing on the biggest stage at Japan and Korea back in 2002.

"I watched the games in Tolka Rovers, my old team," he said. "My girlfriend Helga -- now my wife -- was playing basketball for them, and I watched the games in there with her.

"I was living every kick of the game, and you can't help getting into it. I remember going to the Phoenix Park then when they came back, and the atmosphere was great.

"I know what it would mean to people -- especially the way the country is now. There's a lot of things happening that aren't looking good so I think it would be a great boost. It would put a smile on people's faces, and give them something else to focus on away from the negatives."

A huge turnout at the Armenia game heartened Kelly, and he is relishing a similar atmosphere in next Tuesday's return. Amid all the talk about Ireland struggling as favourites, he is convinced that the fans can play a part and raise the volume levels if tensions grow.

The mission is to take the pressure off Ireland, and place it on the shoulders of Pareiko.

- Daniel McDonnell

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/kelly-hoping-lightning-strikes-twice-in-battle-with-estonian-keeper-2929284.html?

WhiteJC

JOHN ARNE RIISE MAKES FULHAM PLEDGE

Fulham defender John Arne Riise insists there is more to come from him and the side in the next few months.

Riise, who joined Fulham from Roma over the summer, has established himself as a regular in Martin Jol's side making 14 appearances so far this term.

The former Liverpool man is happy with the start of his Fulham career and he insists there is still a lot more to come from the Norwegian international.

"I think it has gone well for me so far, although of course, you always want more for your team and as an individual," Riise told the club's official website.

"Personally, I'm happy with how I have played so far, but I do I think there is a lot more to come."

Fulham currently find themselves laguishing in 16th, but Riise is confident they will soon climb the table as he feels results have not matched their performances this term.

"I don't think we have had the results that our performances have deserved at times, but the signs are certainly there," he said.

"There is a lot of quality in this team and hopefully we can show that by moving up the table. "

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/09/manual_105935.html

WhiteJC

Riise makes Fulham promise
Defender confident things will pick up

John Arne Riise: Confident there is more to come from him this season

Fulham defender John Arne Riise believes there is more to come from him and the side in the next few months.

Riise, who joined Fulham from Roma over the summer, has established himself as a regular in Martin Jol's side making 14 appearances so far this term.

The former Liverpool man is happy with the start of his Fulham career and he insists there is still a lot more to come from the Norwegian international.

"I think it has gone well for me so far, although of course, you always want more for your team and as an individual," Riise told the club's official website.

"Personally, I'm happy with how I have played so far, but I do I think there is a lot more to come."

Quality

Fulham currently find themselves laguishing in 16th spot in the table, but Riise is confident they will soon climb the table as he feels results have not matched their performances this term.

"I don't think we have had the results that our performances have deserved at times, but the signs are certainly there," he said.

"There is a lot of quality in this team and hopefully we can show that by moving up the table. "

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7299881/?

WhiteJC

Fulham and Everton in battle to land Valencia misfit Parejo on loan in January

Fulham and Everton are going head-to-head in the race to land former Queens Park Rangers midfielder Dani Parejo.

Misfit: Valencia midfielder Dani Parejo

Both clubs have been alerted to the 22-year-old former Real Madrid youngster's services with Valencia reportedly prepared to offload him in January.

Parejo only joined the La Liga side last summer from Getafe but has failed to establish himself in manager Unai Emery's first-team plans.

Having made just two appearances so far this season, Parejo is keen to quit the Mestalla and ready to return to England, where he spent a season on loan at Loftus Road in 2008.

Everton boss David Moyes is monitoring developments, according to reports in Spain, but faces competition from Fulham counterpart Martin Jol, who is also keen on signing Parejo on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059347/Dani-Parejo-wanted-Everton-Fulham-January.html#ixzz1dD47Qi6D

WhiteJC

Chadli rues failed Fulham move
Twente youngster still hoping to ply his trade in England

Nacer Chadli: Claims he almost made the move to Fulham in the summer

FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli claims a knee injury prevented him from joining Fulham in the summer but the Belgian is still keen on an English move.

The 22-year-old returned to action in October after being sidelined for three months with the problem, which he picked up during the pre-season.

Chadli says the Cottagers were on the verge of signing him until he sustained the knock.

"I had an offer from Fulham but got injured and the deal fell through," he told Voetbal Primeur. "It is still my goal to play in the English league."

Tough

The Belgium international admits his recovery was difficult as he dealt with his first serious injury since turning professional.

"It was tough because it was the first major injury of my career," he added. "An inflammation of the knee and three months out."

Belgium national team coach Georges Leekens was delighted to see Chadli return to the set-up for the impending international games.

He said: "It's good how sharp Nacer is since his return. He has lost none of his nimble nature."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7300000/?