https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff 10/11/11

Started by os5889, November 09, 2011, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/09/bobby-zamora-england?CMP=twt_gu

Bobby Zamora: Every time I get called up I've felt it's an audition

The Fulham forward hopes Fabio Capello will value his all-round game when picking England's Euro 2012 squad

Dominic Fifield

Bobby Zamora, pictured at an Under Armour photo shoot, hopes Fabio Capello will give him a chance to impress against Spain. Photograph: Graeme Robertson
At first glance it is an audition, plain and simple. A chance to nudge the management into recognising underlying qualities and earn the right to stand in for a high-profile absentee. Impress at a heaving Wembley and the prospects of travelling to next summer's European Championship will be enhanced. The only problem facing Bobby Zamora is the calibre of opposition against which he is about to be tested. "There aren't any better out there than the Spanish," he says with a rueful smile. "Just getting a touch would be nice."

There will be nerves aplenty if the Fulham striker gains a second cap on Saturday, though the prospect of confronting the reigning world and European champions would bring the most experienced of performers out in a cold sweat. Vicente del Bosque's travelling squad for the friendly contains 20 of the party that prevailed in South Africa last summer. This is a team in which David Silva and Juan Mata, who have so illuminated the Premier League this term, can sometimes be rendered mere cavalry to be called from the bench. Wresting back the ball, whether from Xavi Hernández or Andrés Iniesta, Cesc Fábregas or Xabi Alonso, will prove onerous enough, so making an impression may be easier said than done.

Yet that is a task Zamora will approach with relish. There is a hunger to the 30-year-old that reflects an urgent desire to make his mark at this level, his international career having been frustrated by untimely injuries that denied him first a place at last summer's World Cup finals, and later an opportunity to build on his solitary appearance, the second half of the friendly against Hungary in August 2010. These days the only real legacy of the fractured leg that kept him out for more than five months last season is the occasional dull ache and stiffness in his ankle. His form leading the line at Fulham, with their extensive Europa League duties, has ensured he has remained in Fabio Capello's thoughts as the Italian contemplates life without Wayne Rooney in the group stage at Euro 2012. Zamora has qualities that make him a candidate.

The England manager was at Craven Cottage on Sunday as the home side's second-half rally was frustrated against Tottenham Hotspur. Yet Capello will still have been impressed at the manner in which the 6ft 1in forward unsettled the visitors' back line. He has earned his chance. "Every time I've been called up, I've felt it's an audition and an opportunity to prove myself with England," Zamora says. "I've been around the squad for the last year or so and I'm hoping now to prove what I can do. The gaffer has had other priorities up to now. He had to make decisions to make sure we qualified, and they've clearly proved to be the right decisions. They've got us there, job done. So there are no qualms about that from me.

"But the attitude does feel a bit different for these games. It's an opportunity. A tough one against Spain, for sure, because it wouldn't look as if they've got too many weaknesses at all. We'll find ourselves in the unusual position of being underdogs, which doesn't happen at Wembley very often. We'll have to tap into that, the underdog spirit. As for myself, I know the manager has lots of options up front, even with Wayne's suspension. Gabby [Agbonlahor] is back, Peter Crouch is not off the scene, and Jermain [Defoe] scored another instinctive one against us on Sunday, reminding the manager he's a goalscorer. There are people there desperate to play, so it's a case of making an impact if and when I get a chance. If I get that opportunity, I have to take it."

The forward's more industrious qualities will appeal to Capello. The Italian name-checked him in the immediate aftermath of the humiliating elimination to Germany in Bloemfontein – "We have Agbonlahor and Zamora, who is not young but was injured this time," the manager said the morning after the night before as he grasped at reasons for future optimism – and will appreciate the subtler aspects to his game.

The striker has not been prolific in the top flight with Fulham, West Ham United or Tottenham but he is a regular and selfless provider for team-mates. England without Rooney will presumably rely all the more heavily on the slippery qualities of players such as Ashley Young and Theo Walcott, who must be brought into play. Andy Carroll was supposed to fill that role but his form has been fitful at best with Liverpool this term and he appears to have been overtaken in the pecking order. There would appear to be few better candidates than Zamora for a conventional lone forward role.

"Joe Public and probably 99.9% of the country would probably say: 'So and so's scored X number of goals, so he's a better player,'" Zamora says. "But I recently asked the guys at ProZone what the stats were in terms of chances created and I was in the top six in the Premier League. That's a striker creating chances, not a midfielder or a winger crossing the ball. Clint Dempsey's always going on about the significance of assists – he would, it's an American thing after all – but I'm all for that. Let's get league tables of assists like we do for goals scored. I'm making a few for others, setting up people like Clint, Moussa [Dembélé] or AJ [Andy Johnson], just as I did last year. Apparently I came away with the most assists at Fulham despite missing the majority of last season. People in the game might notice that more but I'll gladly hold the ball up and bring others into play.

"Every time I've been called up to the England squad, whether I've played or not, I've come away thinking I can play at that level. I've proved that to myself in the training sessions we've had – it'd be mad if you didn't pick up bits and pieces working with Capello and the other lads – but people will only really accept me at the top if I do it on the pitch. If I'd gone to the World Cup and not been injured, maybe I would consider myself an international footballer now.

"As it is, I'm on the fringe still, waiting for the chance. But even that leaves me pinching myself. I've come a long way by a very different route to most, playing with Bristol Rovers and Brighton in the lower leagues, and I wouldn't change that at all. There are probably only 10 league clubs in the country where I haven't played, but that has made me more grounded and more appreciative of where I am today."

Whether or not Zamora feels properly valued as England wheeze in pursuit of the football around Wembley's expansive turf on Saturday remains to be seen but, if given his opportunity, the forward will attempt to influence the occasion. "Time is short and getting to Ukraine and Poland is the ultimate aim," he adds. "That's the dream, something I'll work hard to achieve: a few goals, a few assists ... don't forget the assists. We need that Americanism in our game."

WhiteJC

No retirement plans for keeper

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, 39, believes he can continue playing at the top level for at least three more years.

The experienced stopper is keen to represent Australia at the World Cup in 2014 and says he has no plans to hang up his gloves at the minute.

Schwarzer, who arrived at Craven Cottage from Middlesbrough in 2008, remains Martin Jol's first-choice and says he takes inspiration from fellow veteran keepers, Brad Friedel and Edwin van der Sar, who have graced the Premier League in recent years.

"The World Cup in 2014 is definitely an aim, and then we will see what happens," he told Fulham's website.

"When I look at people like Brad and Edwin last season, people who can still perform at this level at 40-years-old, it gives me inspiration and I want to carry on as long as I can continue to play well and enjoy my football."

"I think the way the game is today and what you have at football clubs helps you to take care of yourself," he added.

"If you keep that as a player you have a fantastic opportunity.

"We have that at this club with the Sports Medicine and Exercise Science department and I exploit them as much as I can. I try to stay as fit as possible and train as much as I can."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/no-retirement-plans-for-keeper-1332773.html?

WhiteJC

Twente's Nacer Chadli rues injury that resulted in collapse of Fulham move but insists it is still his goal to play in Premier League
The Belgian international missed out on coming to England due to a knee injury after starring in the Dutch Eredivisie last year but still dreams of making the switch

Twente midfielder Nacer Chadli says he still hopes to move to the Premier League despite missing out on a transfer to Fulham in the summer.

Chadli was reportedly the subject of at least one bid from Fulham manager Martin Jol, but the Belgian international suffered a knee injury which scuppered the deal.

A move to England would cap a great rise for the 22-year-old who moved to Twente from AGOVV last year for £440,000 and scored in both games against Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League.

Speaking about the move to Fulham which failed to materialise, Chadli told Sportwereld: "It was quite difficult for me, because it was the first serious injury in my career. A knee problem and I was out of action for three months.

"It was a real shame, because Fulham had made an offer for me. The transfer fell through because of the injury though. Nevertheless, it's still my goal to play in the Premier League."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/11/09/2749352/twentes-nacer-chadli-rues-injury-that-resulted-in-collapse?

WhiteJC

Bobby on the sheet
Zamora would be in my XI to face World Champions, says Alan

Zamora: sub against Swiss

Former England striker Alan Smith is backing Bobby Zamora to step in and fill Wayne Rooney's boots in Saturday's friendly against Spain at Wembley.

Smith believes the Fulham striker, who made his international debut against Switzerland in June, deserves a shot at the World Champions this weekend after scoring three goals in eight Premier League games for Martin Jol's side.

Aston Villa duo Gabriel Agbonlahor and Darren Bent (five apiece), Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge (four) and Manchester United's Daniel Welbeck - all included in Fabio Capello's latest squad - have matched or bettered Zamora's league return this season.

But Smith told Sky Sports News HD that of the quintet, he'd select Zamora first and foremost to stand in for Rooney, who has not been selected in this squad after incurring a ban that rules him out of the entire group stage at Euro 2012.

"I saw him [Zamora] play against Tottenham at the weekend, when he really gave a hard time to Ledley King and Younes Kaboul - two good centre-halves," said Smith.

"I like his movement; I think that has got better as he's aged. He's a powerful boy and his hold-up play is very good. Remember Emile Heskey played and how he linked with Rooney - the two went together well.

"I know Fabio Capello likes a centre-forward who can work those channels and push defenders back and Zamora can do that. I think he would be worth a shout on Saturday, I really do.

"Danny Welbeck is another option but if I was pushed I'd probably go for Zamora if you're going for that 4-3-3 which Capello quite often does; you've got to play three in the middle of the park against the best team in the world."

Create
That's not to say that Smith, who won 13 caps for England, is not impressed with the progress that Agbonlahor has made this season and would not rule either him or Bent out of Saturday's starting line-up.

"Agbonlahor, in particular, has made great strides," he said. "Quite often he's played out on the left so he's had to learn a little bit, adjust his game and he's done really well.

"He has shown ability to beat a man and create chances, quite often for Darren Bent, so I think Agbonlahor would certainly be worth a shout on Saturday.

"Darren Bent has had a number of chances and I think he has got better and better in an England shirt; he's got four goals now, he's led the line well.

"What he does, Darren, is play on the last line and he pushes defenders back and Wayne Rooney is in the team that has created room for Rooney. You know what you get with Darren Bent - he's always looking to get in behind and he's a fantastic finisher."

Occasion
FIFA remain adamant that England players should not sport poppies on their shirts during Saturday's friendly and Smith doesn't expect the England players to defy the rules laid down by the world's governing body.

"I don't think we should be at all surprised by what that organisation does - they continue to disappoint really.

"I think we are going to recognise the occasion [Remembrance Day] in a good way in terms of before the kick-off with a poppy on the pitch and the teams meeting members of the Armed Forces, which is nice. It makes a change from faceless figures that nobody recognises.

"I know the lads are going to have the poppies on their tracksuit tops. I'm sure the management have explained the situation; the lads will have seen it in the newspapers as well, the fact that FIFA have laid down the law, and they'll just get on with it.

"It's not something that they would really push for but it does mean a lot to footballers; I know that when they meet members of the Armed Forces they are always very humble and in awe almost of what these boys are doing for the country - going abroad and putting their lives on the line every day of the week.

"I think we all feel that way but when they are in the line-up and shaking hands with some of these boys that will be great but once the ref blows the whistle they will have other things on their minds."

http://www.skysports.com/skysportsnews/story/0,,19494_7300220,00.html?

WhiteJC

Riise confident of Fulham revival

Fulham defender John Arne Riise admits he has settled in well at Fulham and believes the Cottagers' results will improve over the next few months (Fulham 8/1 To Be Relegated with bet365).

The former Liverpool star moved to Craven Cottage from Italian side Roma in the summer and has established himself as a regular in the west Londoner's first team, with 14 appearances to date this term.

Fulham have been inconsistent this season with too many draws at home and they currently sit in 16th place in the Premier League standings with 10 points from their first 11 games.

Martin Jol's men have also been playing in Europe and have performed with credit in the Europa League and currently sit in second spot in their group with seven points from their first four encounters (Fulham 28/1 Europa League Outright with bet365).

Riise was linked with a move to Fulham before he moved to Anfield in 2001 but has finally ended up by the Thames ten years later, and the 31-year-old feels he has adapted well to his new surroundings.

"I think it has gone well for me so far, although of course, you always want more for your team and as an individual," Riise told the club's official website. "Personally, I'm happy with how I have played so far, but I do I think there is a lot more to come."

Jol's side were beaten 3-1 by Spurs at the weekend despite enjoying plenty of quality possession and the Norwegian international is confident that the good times will return in the near future.

"I don't think we have had the results that our performances have deserved at times, but the signs are certainly there," he added. "There is a lot of quality in this team and hopefully we can show that by moving up the table."

http://football.betsplayer.com/riise-confident-of-fulham-revival/

WhiteJC

Jol wishes his Irish duo well for play-offs

DUTCHMAN Martin Jol (pictured) has become an Ireland fan ahead of the Euro 2012 play-offs against Estonia, because he wants to see at least one Fulham player take part in the European Championship finals next summer.

Fulham have a number of senior internationals in their squad but, for the vast majority, their interest in the European Championships has ended, apart from Dubliners Stephen Kelly and Damien Duff.

"Myself and Damien have been talking about this play-off a lot, since the last Ireland trip -- more or less -- it's come up every day. We know how important it is and how much it means to everyone. It's a huge game and the implications for everyone in Ireland, if we qualify, will be massive. Now we just have to go and do our business on the pitch," said Kelly.

"We had a chat with the club manager, he just called me aside after out last game with Fulham and wished me well. Obviously, as he's Dutch, he's not used to being in a play-off, as Holland qualify automatically all the time, but he wants us to do well and qualify.

"I think Fulham as a club would see it as a boost to see me and Damien at the finals next summer, because not many Fulham players will be there.

"Maybe Bobby Zamora, if he makes the England squad, but the rest of them are out of it. We have Belgians, Swiss and Norwegians in the squad but they're all gone, out of contention, so it's nice for us to have two Dubs there, trying to get to the Euro finals. We have one up on everyone else and people like the Irish. I don't think anyone would begrudge us a place in the finals after all these years."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/jol-wishes-his-irish-duo-well-for-playoffs-2929836.html?

WhiteJC

Twente Road Trip!

Official Coach Journey to see FC Twente v Fulham

Due to initial sales and the very high level of demand, the Club has now secured extra match tickets for the match against FC Twente and organised a coach travel option. As such we are pleased to go on sale with a coach trip to Holland to see the Club's final overseas Group Stage away match against FC Twente.

The coach trip is priced at £99pp and includes:

Coach journey to depart Craven Cottage at approximately 2330 on Wednesday 30/11
Return ferry crossing; Dover- Calais- Dover
Arrival into Enschede at approximately 1100 (local)
Free time to explore Enschede, please note that transfers from the city to the stadium are not included as the stadium is a short train ride away from the centre of Enschede (further details to follow)
Kick-off 1900 (local)
Return coach journey from the stadium back to Craven Cottage after the final whistle
Arrival back at Craven Cottage on the morning of 2/12 at approximately 0730
All coaches will be accompanied by experienced stewards

Match tickets are not included and should be purchased direct from the Fulham FC ticket office. It is recommended that you obtain your match ticket first by calling the ticket office on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) or visiting the ticketing section of the website.

We cannot accept anyone for travel who is not in possession of a match ticket for this fixture that has been purchased direct from Fulham FC.

The trip will operate subject to minimum booking numbers being reached.

You can secure your place on the coach trip by booking through TMG's website.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/TwenteCoachTrip.aspx?#ixzz1dHoUEcUC

WhiteJC

Bad News?

Back in the late summer, when Martin Jol signed John Arne Riise, column inches were generated with regards to the fact that we had both Riise brothers on our books.

Many speculated that it would only be a matter of time before they both played in a Premier League match for us.

Well it looks as if that may not happen.

Reports in the tabloid press suggest that Bjorn Helge Riise`s time with Fulham is coming to an end with the club looking to offload the player in the January transfer window.

The player has recently been on a loan spell, on the south coast, with Portsmouth, but was unable to make an impact in their first team and subsequently returned to Craven Cottage.

The article, in the tabloid press, goes on to infer that Bjorn Helge has failed to live up to the expectation levels generated upon his arrival, hence the reported decision to offload him in January.

We`ll keep you posted.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262042#ixzz1dHoozjxA

WhiteJC

Midfield Target

Is Martin Jol looking to strengthen our midfield?

If so, one news source believes that the target could be Dani Parejo!

Parejo used to play for Queens Park Rangers but moved to Valencia where he is now out of favour.

Seemingly, Everton are also showing an interest.

May the best team (or offer) win!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262041#ixzz1dHp5MsNd

WhiteJC

Premier League progress report - is your club punching its weight or sinking fast?

Just as the domestic campaign starts to flow along comes another international break.

Depending on whether your team is flying high at the top or an injury stricken out-of-form mess, the break will come as a complete nuisance or a helpful distraction as the Premier League table starts to take shape.

Here Sportsmail assesses how each club has started this term and how they may have altered their aims for the rest of the campaign.

Fulham
Table: 16th

How are they doing?
Hardly a textbook start for Martin Jol with just two wins to his name so far. Performances have improved along the way though and it seems a matter of time before results come along with them. The Dutchman made a similarly poor start in his last Premier League spell at Tottenham.

Top of the class – Clint Dempsey
It doesn't matter whether it's Roy Hodgson, Mark Hughes or Martin Jol running the club, the American is a constant attacking menace for the Cottagers.

Must try harder – John Arne Riise
He's only been away from the Premier League for three years but already it seems those thunderbolt strikes and marauding runs from Riise down the flank are just memories locked inside an Anfield vault. Fans have hardly had a taster of either.

Aims
They have been down the bottom all season but Fulham have a good enough squad to not only stay up but try and go one better than their Europa League final defeat in 2010.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059465/Premier-League-Your-clubs-progress-report-international-break.html#ixzz1dHpZAup2

WhiteJC

QPR Prepare January Swoop For On-Fire England Striker

Queens Park Rangers remain in the hunt for a new striker when the January transfer window opens and have reportedly targeted Fulham's Andrew Johnson as a possible signing.

Following their take-ver by Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandes, the west London club are investing heavily in players to remain the the Premier League and a centre-forward is top of manager Neil Warnock's shopping list.

QPR are thought to be keeping a close eye on Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe with the intention of launching an £8m bid.

However, according to the Daily Mail, they have also set their sights on Johnson should they fail in their attempt to land Defoe.

The 30-year-old former Everton and Crystal Palace front-man is regaining his best form following two injury-disrupted seasons. He has notched up 11 goals in all competitions so far this season and could be on the verge of a recall to the England setup.

And his goal-scoring exploits have alerted QPR, who hope to swoop for Johnson in January despite the striker being locked in contract talks at Craven Cottage.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/qpr-prepare-january-swoop-for-on-fire-england-striker-12480/?

WhiteJC

2011-12 Third of Season Awards: Readers Poll

We're not fully one-third through the season, but it's a boring international break—and mostly a meaningless one at that!—so why not open the floor to a good honest debate in our 2012 Third of Season Awards: Readers Poll!

Please post your thoughts in the comments section, and also feel free to make up your own award and recipient. Or, if you think an award sucks and should be retired, let us know!

The Zat Knight award for the player or coach that is slated all across the boards, sites, et al., somewhat needlessly

Julian Gray Award for the player once featured intermittently but has now disappered like the body of Jimmy Hoffa!

The 'Jimmy Who?' Award to a high profile player who left and won't be missed

The Seol Ki-Hyeon Award for the player you often forget is on the roster yet makes very sporadic first team appearances

The Wayne Brown Award for the player that is allegedly blue-chip material but will end up in League One come summer

The Brian McBride Award for the player who will probably have a pub at Craven Cottage named after him

The Slim Charles Award for the player that isn't lighting up the highlight reels yet shows longevity

Happy voting!

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/2011-12-third-of-season-awards-readers-poll/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool Ready To Swoop On Fulham To Strengthen Their Squad Further

Liverpool are rumoured to be interested in Fulham player Mouusa Dembele as Kenny Dalglish continues to mould his squad.

Dembele has been a revelation in the Premier League since his move from AZ Alkmaar in 2010 and has continued to win praises for his ability to turn games around in Fulham's favour and has settled under new Manager Martin Jol, however reports are suggesting that Liverpool are prepared to make a January approach for the Belgian international who operates as an attacking midfielder for Fulham and is a player that interests Dalglish.

Dembele scored the Fulham's fans goal of the season last year against Tottenham Hotspur and has attracted Spurs' interest in recent days though Liverpool appear to be in pole position to sign the player.

Fulham are unlikely to want to sell the player as he is seen as a key player under Martin Jol who in the past few days has said of the player "Dembele will learn and go on to become one of the best players in the Premier League."

http://www.footylatest.com/liverpool-ready-to-swoop-on-fulham-to-strengthen-their-squad-further/25258?

WhiteJC

FC Twente star Chadil keen on Fulham switch after deal fell through last summer

FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli hopes a move to Fulham can be revived after admitting a knee injury put the transfer on hold last summer.

The 22-year-old Belgian said: 'I had an offer from Fulham but got injured and the deal fell through. It is still my goal to play in the English league.'

Living in hope: Chadli (left) is still keen on a move to Fulham

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059663/Nacer-Chadil-keen-Fulham-switch.html#ixzz1dHrIHzFb

os5889

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-11-10/liverpools-new-signing-marc-pelosi-and-top-10-american-imports-premier-league

LIVERPOOL'S NEW SIGNING MARC PELOSI AND THE TOP 10 AMERICAN IMPORTS IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE

Liverpool's U18 coach Mike Marsh has announced his "excitement" over the signing of American teenager Marc Pelosi. The 17-year-old - who joined from the DeAnza Force club in California - has already appeared for the youth side in an academy game against Crewe and was on the bench for a reserve game at Blackburn. "He's clearly got talent and is a left-footed centre midfielder who can also play anywhere on the left side," said Marsh.

American soccer - sorry, football - has come on leaps and bounds in the past 20 years, so here talkSPORT counts down the top 10 Yanks to have played in the Premier League...

3 former whites feature in the list!

WhiteJC

Kelly Ready

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly is expected to start for the Republic of Ireland on Friday evening in a crucial first leg Euro 2012 Qualifier against Estonia in Tallinn.

With Sunderland defender John O'Shea's ruled out through injury, Kelly is firm favourite to get the nod from manager Giovanni Trapattoni. The Fulham defender is clearly relishing the opportunity to play in the finale to Ireland's qualifying campaign after playing an integral role in helping his team reach the play-offs.

"Any time there's been an opportunity for the manager to play me, he's done so," Kelly explained ahead of Friday's match. "I played left back in last game (against Armenia) and right-back before that against Russia.

"I've played a lot of big games in this campaign. This has been the campaign that I've been able to show myself, really get to grips with it and make an impact. Hopefully, I'm able to do that in Estonia.

"We're on the brink of a playing at major tournament and these two are the games that will get us there. If I do get to play, hopefully it's a game I have fond memories of.

"We are capable of getting a result over there and we won't deviate from the sensible style of football that has got us here.

"We'll continue being hard to beat, which has seen us concede one goal in 9 games. I managed to play in 7 of those games and, if we continue that way, I can see us qualifying.

"The manager will have us well schooled going into Friday's game. I played against the Estonian goalkeeper a few weeks ago for my club and he was decent.

"We're not expecting just to turn up and win this game. I'm not being cocky; we're not going in thinking that the game is just going to be a walkover but we'll go in with the feeling and the attitude that we can win the game.

"It would be a special achievement to go on and qualify from these two games."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/KellysEuroPreview.aspx?#ixzz1dIxKadeh

WhiteJC

Respect Earned

Dickson Etuhu believes Fulham's remarkable run to the UEFA Europa League Final in 2010 has resulted in a hightened level of respect amongst European opposition this season.

2010 provided Etuhu with memories to cherish forever, both for Fulham and Nigeria at the 2010 World Cup Finals, but the midfielder is well aware that Fulham's past successes will make the competition even tougher this time round.

"I definitely still think about it," said Etuhu of Fulham's 2010 European campaign. "No one expected us to get to the Final – especially the route we took, playing against some of the top European teams.

"It was a great moment in time that everybody will remember at the Football Club and obviously the players as well.

"I've actually got Forlan's shirt form the Final. I got that framed and signed and I've also got some pictures to go with it. In my career that Europa League run and playing in the World Cup were the best moments.

"It's going to be harder for us now in Europe because teams respect us more because of what we did last time - so they going to come well prepared and take us more seriously. Last time around people didn't give us any respect and we took advantage of that."

Etuhu's career in professional sports could have taken a very different route in athletics and the Fulham man is evidently thankful for taking up a second offer of a trial at Manchester City in his formative years.

"Shawn Wright-Phillips is a good friend of mine and when they used to go and play Sunday League football I used to go with them sometimes. One day Manchester City watched me play and wanted me to go up there for a trial and I was like, 'no thanks'. They invited me again and I went.

"I started football really late, at about 15 or 16. I represented my county and my school at athletics and it was exciting but I wasn't too sure which event I really liked. I was good at field events like long jump and triple jump and it was exciting times.

"I'm still shocked to be a footballer really. I'm so happy to be a footballer I don't really thing about what I could have been. It's amazing that I switched sports at such a late time."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/EtuhuEuroInterview.aspx?#ixzz1dIyFG47v

WhiteJC

FULHAM GAVE THEIR PLAYERS AFFAIR HOTLINE MOBILES

Fulham encouraged their players' extra-marital dalliances by providing them with mobiles to contact their mistresses, according to a new book.

Former Danish tennis star Frederik Fetterlein, aged 41, makes the allegation in his new autobiography. He now works as a model and claims to have a friend within the Cottagers' squad.

Fetterlein says a basket of mobiles were passed around after training so that some members of the squad could organise their infidelities.

In his book Seducted By Life, he writes: "Some used these phones for about an hour or so It was their girlfriend-mobile – the phone they could use to speak freely to their mistresses."

Fetterlein also claims he had a threesome with a Chelsea player.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2011/11/fulham-gave-their-players-affair-hotline-mobiles/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WhiteJC

Belgian hopes to resurrect Cottage move

FC Twente midfielder Nacer Chadli would still relish a move to Fulham after a knee injury scuppered his summer move to Craven Cottage.

The 22-year-old Belgian, who moved to Dutch side Twente last year in a £440,000 switch from AGOVV, attracted the attentions of the Cottagers after scoring in two Champions League matches against Tottenham last term.

However, boss Martin Jol's bid to take the player to London from the Netherlands in August ended when Chadli was sidelined with bad knee injury.

But Chadli is now back to full fitness and is hoping to prove he is worthy of a move to the Premier League in Twente's Europa League group games against Fulham.

He told Sportwereld: "It was quite difficult for me, because it was the first serious injury in my career. A knee problem and I was out of action for three months.

"It was a real shame, because Fulham had made an offer for me. The transfer fell through because of the injury though. Nevertheless, it's still my goal to play in the Premier League."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/belgian-hopes-to-resurrect-cottage-move-1332984.html?#.TrvD9GAlE98

WhiteJC

Riise: We'll climb the standings

Fulham defender John Arne Riise is satisfied with how he has performed this season, but believes there is room for improvement.

The Norway international joined the Cottagers from Roma in the off-season and has since become a regular starter for Martin Jol's side.

The west London club have struggled to live up to expectations so far this term and occupy 16th spot in the Premier League standings.

However, Riise is confident that Jol's charges have the quality to move up the table in the weeks to come.

"I think it has gone well for me so far, although of course, you always want more for your team and as an individual," Riise told the club's official website.

"Personally, I'm happy with how I have played so far, but I do I think there is a lot more to come."

The former Liverpool man added: "I don't think we have had the results that our performances have deserved at times, but the signs are certainly there.

"There is a lot of quality in this team and hopefully we can show that by moving up the table."

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14287_7301399,00.html?