more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff 10/11/11

Started by os5889, November 09, 2011, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

New suitors in Cottage ace link

Liverpool are the latest top Premier League club to be linked with a possible swoop for highly-rated Fulham midfielder Moussa Dembele.

The 24-year-old Belgium international, who has 18 months remaining on the contract he signed in summer 2010 when former boss Mark Hughes paid £5million to AZ Alkmaar for his signature, has been compared to Tottenham's Dutch star Rafael van der Vaart.

And, Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has already been linked with a possible swoop for his signature at some point in the future.

It is now being reported that Dembele's performances have also alerted Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish as he looks to continue his squad rebuilding work at Anfield in a bid to get them back into the Champions League.

However, Jol would be loathe to lose such a key player who he feels has the potential to be a real star in England.

He said: "Dembele will learn and go on to become one of the best players in the Premier League."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/new-suitors-in-cottage-ace-link-1332987.html?#.TrvEgmAlE98

WhiteJC

Bobby's Euro Dream

Bobby Zamora is hoping England's friendly match against Spain on Saturday will offer him the opportunity to stregthen his claim for a place in Fabio Capello's squad for the Euro 2012 Finals next summer.

Prior to Saturday's friendly match against the 2010 World Cup Final winners, Zamora highlighted the depth of striking talent at Capello's disposal as he prepares to capitalise on any opportunity that comes his way at Wembley Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

"Every time I've been called up, I've felt it's an audition and an opportunity to prove myself with England," said Zamora.

"I've been around the squad for the last year or so and I'm hoping now to prove what I can do. The gaffer has had other priorities up to now. He had to make decisions to make sure we qualified, and they've clearly proved to be the right decisions. They've got us there, job done. So there are no qualms about that from me.

"But the attitude does feel a bit different for these games. It's an opportunity. A tough one against Spain, for sure, because it wouldn't look as if they've got too many weaknesses at all. We'll find ourselves in the unusual position of being underdogs, which doesn't happen at Wembley very often. We'll have to tap into that, the underdog spirit.

"As for myself, I know the manager has lots of options up front, even with Wayne's suspension. Gabby [Agbonlahor] is back, Peter Crouch is not off the scene, and Jermain [Defoe] scored another instinctive one against us on Sunday, reminding the manager he's a goalscorer. There are people there desperate to play, so it's a case of making an impact if and when I get a chance. If I get that opportunity, I have to take it."

Regulars at Craven Cottage are well aware of Zamora's striking qualities, not only as a goalscorer, but as a target man capable of bringing others in to play and providing valuable assists. Whilst Zamora may not be as prolific as some of his England colleagues, the value of his all round game is clearly valued by Fabio Capello.

"Joe Public and probably 99.9% of the country would probably say: 'So and so's scored X number of goals, so he's a better player,'" Zamora explained. "But I recently asked the guys at ProZone what the stats were in terms of chances created and I was in the top six in the Premier League.

"That's a striker creating chances, not a midfielder or a winger crossing the ball. Clint Dempsey's always going on about the significance of assists – he would, it's an American thing after all – but I'm all for that. Let's get league tables of assists like we do for goals scored. I'm making a few for others, setting up people like Clint, Moussa [Dembélé] or AJ [Andy Johnson], just as I did last year.

"Apparently I came away with the most assists at Fulham despite missing the majority of last season. People in the game might notice that more but I'll gladly hold the ball up and bring others into play."

Zamora is confident he can prove a success on the international stage and considering some of his finest performances for Fulham over recent seasons have come against Europe's finest teams, the striker is ready to fulfill his ultimate aim of representing England at next summer's Euro 2012 Finals.

"Every time I've been called up to the England squad, whether I've played or not, I've come away thinking I can play at that level," Zamora explained.

"I've proved that to myself in the training sessions we've had – it'd be mad if you didn't pick up bits and pieces working with Capello and the other lads – but people will only really accept me at the top if I do it on the pitch. If I'd gone to the World Cup and not been injured, maybe I would consider myself an international footballer now.

"As it is, I'm on the fringe still, waiting for the chance. But even that leaves me pinching myself. I've come a long way by a very different route to most, playing with Bristol Rovers and Brighton in the lower leagues, and I wouldn't change that at all. There are probably only 10 league clubs in the country where I haven't played, but that has made me more grounded and more appreciative of where I am today."

"Time is short and getting to Ukraine and Poland is the ultimate aim," he adds. "That's the dream, something I'll work hard to achieve: a few goals, a few assists ... don't forget the assists. We need that Americanism in our game."

Quotes courtesy of Dominic Fifield at the Guardian newspaper. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/BobbysEuroDream.aspx?#ixzz1dIzg5LE5

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol sorry he left Hamburg

Whites boss regrets leaving for Ajax in 2009

Fulham boss Martin Jol has admitted his sorrow at leaving Hamburg but insists he is happy to be managing Fulham.

The Whites manager was in charge of the Bundesliga outfit in the 2008-09 season, leading them to fifth in the table and semi-finals in both the UEFA Cup and German Cup.

Jol left after one season to return to Holland to manage Ajax before being appointed as Mark Hughes's successor as Craven Cottage last summer.

"Today, I am sorry that I did not stay at HSV," Jol told German publication Bild, before refusing to rule out a return in the future.

"You never know. But then there is only one club for me, and his name is HSV.

"Fulham is a great club with great players and staff. I am very happy here and I hope to achieve."

Heading into the international break, the Whites are currently 16th in the Premier League, just one point above the bottom three.

http://www.london24.com/sport/tottenham/fulham_boss_martin_jol_sorry_he_left_hamburg_1_1122302?

WhiteJC

Zamora eager to shine
Fulham forward confident he can succeed with England

Bobby Zamora: Fulham forward is eager to shine with England ahead of Euro 2012

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is confident he has the ability to succeed at international level with England.

The Cottagers frontman will be hoping for a chance to shine when Fabio Capello's side tackle World and European champions Spain in Saturday's friendly at Wembley.

With leading forward Wayne Rooney due to miss the opening three games of Euro 2012 due to suspension, Capello will use the clash with Spain and Tuesday's meeting with Sweden to look at his other options.

Darren Bent, Daniel Sturridge, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Danny Welbeck are also in contention, but Zamora believes his route to the top via the lower leagues will stand him in good stead.

"Every time I've been called up to the England squad, whether I've played or not, I've come away thinking I can play at that level," he told The Guardian.

Do it on the pitch

"I've proved that to myself in the training sessions we've had - it'd be mad if you didn't pick up bits and pieces working with Capello and the other lads - but people will only really accept me at the top if I do it on the pitch.

"If I'd gone to the World Cup and not been injured, maybe I would consider myself an international footballer now.

"As it is, I'm on the fringe still, waiting for the chance. But even that leaves me pinching myself. I've come a long way by a very different route to most, playing with Bristol Rovers and Brighton in the lower leagues, and I wouldn't change that at all.

"There are probably only 10 league clubs in the country where I haven't played, but that has made me more grounded and more appreciative of where I am today."

Better player

The former Tottenham and West Ham forward accepts that his goal ratio may not stand up to his competitors, but believes that the opportunities he creates for others mark him out as a player to watch.

"Joe Public and probably 99.9% of the country would probably say: 'So and so's scored X number of goals, so he's a better player,'" he added.

"But I recently asked the guys at ProZone what the stats were in terms of chances created and I was in the top six in the Premier League. That's a striker creating chances, not a midfielder or a winger crossing the ball.

"Clint Dempsey's always going on about the significance of assists - he would, it's an American thing after all - but I'm all for that. Let's get league tables of assists like we do for goals scored.

"Apparently I came away with the most assists at Fulham despite missing the majority of last season. People in the game might notice that more but I'll gladly hold the ball up and bring others into play."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7301387/?

WhiteJC

Grygera Update

The Club can confirm that Zdenek Grygera suffered an ACL rupture during the match against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 6 November.

It is estimated that the recovery period for an injury of this nature is approximately 6 months.

The Club will update further on Zdenek's progress during the course of his rehabilitation.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/GrygeraUpdate.aspx?#ixzz1dJ0aN79L

WhiteJC

Grygera facing six months out

Fulham defender Zdenek Grygera was today ruled out for approximately six months due to a knee injury sustained against Tottenham on Sunday.

Grygera went down in the first half of the Craven Cottage clash after an innocuous challenge with Spurs' Gareth Bale and was carried off on a stretcher after receiving oxygen. In a statement today Fulham said the Czech had damaged an anterior cruciate ligament.

The statement on www.fulhamfc.com read: "The club can confirm that Zdenek Grygera suffered an ACL rupture during the match against Tottenham on Sunday, 6 November.

"It is estimated that the recovery period for an injury of this nature is approximately six months. The club will update further on Zdenek's progress during the course of his rehabilitation."

Grygera has made just four appearances for Fulham since joining the west London club from Juventus in August.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1540488.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

WhiteJC

Fulham's Zdenek Grygera ruled out for six months with knee injury

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56624000/jpg/_56624543_zdenekgrygera.jpg
Grygera joined Fulham after leaving Juventus by mutual consent in the summer

Fulham defender Zdenek Grygera has been ruled out for approximately six months after it was confirmed he has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament.

The 31-year-old suffered the serious knee injury in the first half of his side's 3-1 defeat at the hands of Tottenham on Sunday, 6 November.

Grygera had to be administered with oxygen on the pitch at Craven Cottage before being taken off on a stretcher.

The former Juventus defender is now likely to miss the rest of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15676418.stm?

cmg

Quote from: os5889 on November 10, 2011, 08:41:36 AM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-11-10/liverpools-new-signing-marc-pelosi-and-top-10-american-imports-premier-league

LIVERPOOL'S NEW SIGNING MARC PELOSI AND THE TOP 10 AMERICAN IMPORTS IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE

Liverpool's U18 coach Mike Marsh has announced his "excitement" over the signing of American teenager Marc Pelosi. The 17-year-old - who joined from the DeAnza Force club in California - has already appeared for the youth side in an academy game against Crewe and was on the bench for a reserve game at Blackburn. "He's clearly got talent and is a left-footed centre midfielder who can also play anywhere on the left side," said Marsh.

American soccer - sorry, football - has come on leaps and bounds in the past 20 years, so here talkSPORT counts down the top 10 Yanks to have played in the Premier League...

3 former whites feature in the list!

4! (although only 3 actually wore white)