https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (13/03/10)

Started by WhiteJC, March 13, 2010, 08:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/dempsey-ready-for-reds-return-1036812.html
Dempsey ready for Reds return
Clint Dempsey is being tipped for his first start in two months on Sunday as Fulham go to Premier League leaders Manchester United.

The American international came off the bench to make his comeback from a serious knee injury against Juventus in Thursday's Europa League defeat in Turin.

Meanwhile captain Danny Murphy faces a fitness test on a groin injury and boss Roy Hodgson will have decision to make at left-back with Paul Konchesky set to be challenged for his spot by Nicky Shorey, after he was unavailable for the cup tie.

Konchesky himself is back in the fold again after picking up an ankle injury against Blackburn in January - incidentally in the game that Dempsey suffered his fate.

Hodgson said: "It was good to see those two back (against Juventus), that was excellent news.

"Both of them have been out for a long period of time and it was good for Konchesky to get a game under his belt and for Dempsey to get half an hour under his belt.

"I think they will be very useful for us in the games that we have left this season, of which there are very many."

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/whos-doing-the-scheduling-here.html
Who's doing the scheduling here?
By: timmyg | March 12th, 2010
How are Fulham rewarded with a midweek trip to Turin? Why, a road game at Old Trafford of course!

Last year Sir Alex Ferguson moaned about fixtures away from Old Trafford after European nights. Although he had a point, United can cope with said fixture list as their 'B' teams can win trophy's (Carling Cup).

However, teams like Fulham cannot really cope with that. So far this season, Fulham have played 13 European games (okay, 15, but does Vetra in July really count?). They've had five away Europa fixtures immediately follow five away league fixtures, and the results haven't been pretty. They are as follows:

8/27 at Amkar Perm; 8/30 at Aston Villa (L)
9/17 at CSKA Sofia; 9/20 at Wolves (L)
11/5 at Roma; 11/8 at Wigan (D)
2/25 at Shaktar Donetsk; 2/28 at Sunderland (D)
3/11 at Juventus; 3/14 at Manchester United (tbd)

Of the four league matches proceeding European tours, just 2 points have been obtained. If Fulham are lucky, it'll be up to just 3 after Sunday. (And therein is my preview for Sunday!) Compounding the issue is the great distances Fulham have had to travel — United never brought their first team to travel to Perm, Russia; Sofia, Bulgaria; or Donetsk, Ukraine I don't think.

Only one away Europa match was followed by a home league match, the 12/16 match at Basle. Who was the proceeding home opponent? Manchester United. Although Fulham managed to win that match 3-0, it was still a tough opponent.

Difficult, but this is what we were getting ourselves into, right? Well, Correct. But things aren't rosy on the flip side either.

Of the six home European matches, four have been followed by another home match — against tough opponents. They are the SW6 derby with Chelsea on 8/23 after the match against Perm on 8/20, the home match to Sunderland on 12/6 after CSKA Sofia on 12/3, and the 2/18 encounter with Shaktar Donetsk followed by the 2/21 game with Brum. Fulham managed 6 points from those 3 matches, with the win over Sunderland coming before they really nosedived.

There is also that upcoming home league match against City on 3/21 after Juve on 3/18. Again, another tough one.

The two home European matches that were followed by an away match are the 10/1 match with Basle followed by West Ham on 10/4, the 10/22 match against Roma followed by City on 10/25. Fulham managed two points in the league, with the games against our bogey team (Spam) and a place where we've had some success (City, but after coming back from 2-0 down).

So what am I getting at? No, I'm not saying the fixture people are out to get us, like Fergie insinuated was happening with United. It's just another testament to how well Fulham have coped with the adversity, and how great of a manager Roy Hodgson is.

Seriously, a statue needs to be built in his honor right now. I'll start writing the agitprop.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/03/12/greening-gears-up-for-manchester-united-clash-64767-26021714/
Greening gears up for Manchester United clash

THERE are few in football who would claim Old Trafford was a lucky ground for them - but Jonathan Greening is ready to add his name to a slim list.

The former Manchester United player goes back there with Fulham on Sunday, having eked out decent results ever since he shed the red shirt nearly nine years ago.

The 31-year-old is again ready to come, see and conquer - despite the fact Fulham will already have played two of the most difficult games in their history this week.

After last night's Europa League tie at Juventus and Saturday's 0-0 FA Cup quarter-final against Spurs - what would have been a highlight of the season is just about registering on the Greening radar.

He said: "Every player wants to play in these types of games - but three in a week is a bit crazy.

"And it doesn't matter whether you've just won or lost - every time you go to Man U it's going to be difficult because they are the best team in the world in my eyes.

"You just hope everyone puts in a shift and is at the top of their game."

On-loan Greening goes north-west buoyed by the memory of two decent results at the Theatre of Dreams with parent club West Brom.

He was a member of the Baggies team that got a 1-1 draw with five games to go when everybody had buried them in 2005.

That year, Albion became the first side to escape the plunge after occupying last place at Christmas, and although it was only on the last day they survived, with the lowest-ever Premiership points total, Greening reckons the point earned at Man U kick-started the drive to safety.

He said: "I also remember having one of my better games for United against Fulham - of all teams - in the FA Cup 11 years ago.

"In fact, I was thinking about it just yesterday. I came on at half-time and did a pretty decent job, if I say so myself and we won 1-0. Hopefully, I can have another good game on Sunday."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/03/12/1830277/stefano-okaka-happy-with-life-at-fulham
Stefano Okaka Happy With Life At Fulham
The Roma-owned Italy U-21 international is pleased with way things are going in London...
Roma-owned forward Stefano Okaka has revealed he is very happy with his choice to take a loan move to the Premier League with Fulham.

"I am well and I'm happy with my choice. The relationship with Roy Hodgson is excellent," the Italy Under-21 international told Calciomercato.it.

The highly rated 20-year-old was finding first-team football hard to come by with the Giallorossi and will stay in London until the end of the season.

Okaka also spoke of his disappointment following Fulham's 3-1 defeat to Juventus last night in the Europe League, but insisted the Cottagers were not giving up.

"I am sorry for the outcome of yesterday's match, as it will be very hard to turn the game around but we still have hope."

"I offered some advice to my team-mates, but it's always difficult to implement them in the game. Juventus are a very strong team."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/09104518.php
MANCHESTER UNITED v FULHAM
BIG MATCH FACTS

Manchester United will be looking to extend their lead at the top of the Premier League table when they welcome Fulham to Old Trafford on Sunday.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men are two points clear at the summit of the division although they have played a game more than second-placed Chelsea.

Fulham will look to put their 3-1 Europa League loss away to Juventus behind them when they take on the league champions this weekend.

The Cottagers who were beaten by the Italian giants on Thursday are 10th in the division however they are just three points behind ninth-placed Everton.

Head To Head

There have been 72 previous encounters between these two clubs. United have won 41 while Fulham have won just 14. There have also been 17 draws.

Fulham have won their last two league meetings with United albeit both of those victories were at Craven Cottage.

United have not lost at home to Fulham since a 3-1 loss at Old Trafford on 25 October 2003.

Man United

Manchester United have lost just one of their last 11 Premier League matches, winning eight in the process.

The Red Devils have won their last nine top-flight home matches.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men have collected two less points this season than they had at this stage last term.

Fulham

Fulham are unbeaten in their last five Premier League games (Won 3, Drawn 2).

The Cottagers are without a win in their last 13 league games on the road.

Roy Hodgson's men have accumulated four more points this season than they had at this stage last term.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Man United

Rooney: 30 goals

Fulham

Zamora: 15 goals

MOST RECENT CLASH

Fulham 3-0 Man Utd (19 December 2009)

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6018418,00.html
Fergie hails Hodgson
United boss feels Cottagers counterpart could lead England

Sir Alex Ferguson feels Roy Hodgson would be an ideal candidate to replace Fabio Capello as England manager.

The Manchester United boss has seen Hodgson turn Premier League rivals Fulham from relegation-fodder to European challengers.

Ferguson feels that success, coupled with an enviable CV, marks him out as an obvious choice should the Three Lions post become available.

The Red Devils boss admits that may not be any time soon, but feels former Switzerland coach Hodgson would excel back in the international arena.

"Roy Hodgson has great experience, the kind of experience you need in international management. He would be ideal for that type of thing," said Ferguson, who is set to go head-to-head with the Cottagers at Old Trafford on Sunday.

"But I don't think you can pre-empt that.

"I am sure if Fabio does well at the World Cup, he will want to stay on as England manager.

"Why would he not want to? It is the hardest challenge for him because the expectation is high and he looks to me to be the type that relishes that."

Remarkable
Ferguson has hailed the job undertaken by Hodgson at Craven Cottage, revealing his admiration at the speed in which he has been able to bring about such a marked reversal in fortune.

"Fulham has been a remarkable story," said Ferguson.

"Roy has brought his experience and authority to the club.

"He has formed a team that no-one likes to play against. They are very well organised and they play with great discipline. That is down to the manager.

"Two years ago when Roy went there, they were third bottom of the league. Now they are playing European football. He has turned the whole club round. It is a remarkable story."

WhiteJC

http://sportingpreview.com/team_news/09100378.php
MANCHESTER UTD v FULHAM
EARLY TEAM NEWS

Clint Dempsey may be ready for his first start in two months when Fulham travel to Old Trafford.

Dempsey came on as a substitute against Juventus on Thursday night to make his comeback form a serious knee injury.

Skipper Danny Murphy faces a fitness test on a groin injury while Nicky Shorey, who was cup tied for the Juventus match, may replace Paul Konchesky at left-back.
Michael Carrick is set to return for Manchester United when they face Fulham on Sunday.

Carrick sat out Wednesday's thrashing of AC Milan through suspension but is expected to replace Paul Scholes.

Ryan Giggs is around a week away from a return after breaking his arm last month, while Ritchie De Laet will be out for a while after picking up a leg injury playing for the reserves.

Teams:

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Neville, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Park, Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Obertan, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov, Diouf.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Baird, Kelly, Shorey, Stoor, Konchesky, Hangeland, Hughes, Smalling, Gera, Duff, Murphy, Greening, Davies, Etuhu, Riise, Nevland, Elm, Okaka, Zamora, Marsh-Brown.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7430220/World-Cup-2010-Fulhams-Bobby-Zamora-plays-down-England-chances.html
World Cup 2010: Fulham's Bobby Zamora plays down England chances
There may be a clamour in some quarters for Bobby Zamora to make a late run into the England squad for the World Cup finals. But the Fulham striker knows the score.

Handful: Fulham's Bobby Zamora battles for the ball with Fabio Cannavaro of Juventus Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Indeed, he has already booked his summer holidays to that perennial footballers' haunt of Las Vegas and will not be betting on his chances of going elsewhere. He expects to watch events in South Africa "on the box" – as opposed to being in the box, trying to score.

On Sunday, Zamora and Fulham face a player on whom England are firmly pinning their hopes. Wayne Rooney. And Zamora, unsurprisingly, is a fervent admirer. "He's been brilliant," he said of Rooney's talismanic form this season, something Zamora's Fulham team-mate Paul Konchesky described as "unstoppable".
"I suppose Ronaldo going has made him a better player, he's stepped up and been unbelievable," Zamora said. "I just hope that he can continue that into the World Cup because when he's on fire England have every chance of winning it."

Fulham face Manchester United at Old Trafford. They beat them earlier this season, 3-0 at Craven Cottage with Zamora scoring. But after Thursday night's Europa League defeat away to Juventus, there is a sense that with 46 matches already played, fatigue is starting to catch up with Roy Hodgson's side. "It's been a tough season," Zamora acknowledged. "But also an enjoyable one. We've got United, Juventus, Man City and Tottenham so they are games you definitely do not want to miss.

"It's hard to play three games in a week but it's what you get for doing well. You play in these tournaments and nobody wants to miss them. It's part of being successful. You see the likes of Frank Lampard, John Terry, Rooney playing week-in, week-out and internationals as well. So, if you want to be the best you have to do exactly what they do and play as many games as you can." Burn-out is the buzzword of the day in a World Cup season. The fear is that Rooney, in particular, will be all played-out come the end of the campaign.

After all, while Zamora has played 37 matches this season, which started back in July, Rooney has already featured in 43 games. Fulham will be hoping he is rested on Sunday with Zamora also keen, after a season in which the 29 year-old has scored 15 goals in 36 starts and led the line for his team, to reinforce the belief of Spurs manager Harry Redknapp that "this is the best spell of his career".

"It's nice but it's not something I'm thinking about," Zamora said of England. "What will happen, happens." In truth, it appears highly unlikely, unless there is a string of injuries, that he will be in Fabio Capello's plans although facing another Fabio – Juventus's Fabio Cannavaro – on Thursday gave Zamora a taste for football at a higher level.

"He's a clever player," Zamora said of the 36-year-old Italian international who will be in South Africa. "He gets those little fouls and pulls that the referee doesn't see and that's why he's won a World Cup, that's why he's one of the best defenders in the world. But I really enjoyed it and thought I did well against him. I held the ball up well at times and made him work."

Fulham go into Thursday's second leg of their last-16 match 3-1 down. The away goal, a fortunate, deflected strike by Dickson Etuhu, gives them some hope, as does the fact that they did not capitulate to the team who have been Italian champions 27 times, even though they threatened to run away with the tie in the first half. The odds may be long; but they still have one roll of the dice left.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/09104510.php
JUVENTUS 3 FULHAM 1
POST MATCH REACTIONS

Fulham were beaten 3-1 by Italian giants Juventus in the first leg of last night's last sixteen Europa League clash but Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson still feels his side have a chance to progress in the competition.

Two goals in the first 30 minutes, from Nicola Legrottaglie and Jonathan Zebina put Juv ahead, before Dickson Etuhu pulled one back for Fulham.

However David Trezeguet made it three with a great goal before half time to give Fulham a mountian to climb in the return leg at Craven Cottage next Thursday.

"Well, I would've had said (we had a good chance) if we would have come in at half time without conceding that third goal and we would have played the second half as we did, then I would have thought that our chances (of progressing) would have been very good," said Hodgson, who was returning to the country where he managed Inter Milan and Udinese in the 1990s.

"But now they have worsened because of that third goal, because for us to score two goals at home and not concede is going to be a very difficult task."

"There's no doubt we weren't favourites before tonight's game and we are even less favourites at 1-3 for the second leg but it will be an exciting second leg for us and for our public.

"I've certainly seen stranger things happen in my career so the players, I'm sure, will be looking forward to trying to turn the game around and I am sure that they will be doing their very best to do that."

Fulham must put the game out of their minds as they take on Manchester United on Sunday, before playing the second leg against Juventus on Thursday.

"We certainly weren't disgraced in any way here today," Hodgson added.

"It will be a sold-out tie at home so that will create an atmosphere. We will see what happens."

Trezeguet was excellent for Juventus, but Fulham's defence were not at the races and should have done better to prevent his goal.

Hodgson conceded: "'The bitter pill to swallow and the bitter pill we're going to be carrying for the next week is that third goal, which I thought was very unnecessary.

"We had possession of the ball in their half and there was one minute left to play and I think we should have come in at 2-1."

Juventus boss Alberto Zaccheroni though is aware that Fulham are a much more difficult prospect on their own turf.

"I'm quite satisfied with the result tonight but to be honest, I hoped to get something more out of the game, I think we could have scored more," he said.

"It's not a good thing to concede an away goal at home and it will be difficult in the second leg because Fulham usually give their best at home so we have to watch out and be very careful."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/pensioner-reports/
Pensioner reports
Filed under: Match info — weltmeisterclaude @ 9:02 am

Friday at 0438hrs

DOWN – down but not out

You refer to the Juventus match but I write on behalf of the Fulham fans who were out there licking their wounds. Some self inflicted.

Yes – we were less than happy with the first half performance/underperformance. It had all started so well with colours worn, banners unfurled and a huge noise generated. Certainly we outsang the Juve and continued long after the final whistle when police and army "invited " us to remain locked up and locked in.

Instead of the obvious "Why are we waiting?" as for Rome there came in in Stado Olympico chorus after chorus of "We'll win this 2-0!" We'll win this TWO-NIL!"

Gallows humour? Perhaps but humour into the frozen night.  Noted by M.S and Brede who went the extra mile ........well 200 yards) to thank these fans.

And so to Gatwick and on by night bus to my desk. Almost time for school and derision in the playground.
from ITV and SKY based supporters of CFC/Man Utd/Liverpool

Hence an Erasmian quip – (Erasmus so often winner of both Golden Boot and Golden Pen)

"Falling down despair not. Ever take a fresh new good purpose."

Va bene Juve
Va bene Fulham

Pensioner

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/footymads_manchester_united_match_preview_505542/index.shtml
FootyMAD's Manchester United match preview
This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between Manchester United and Fulham at 13:30 on Sunday, 14th March 2010 in the Premier League.

History of the Manchester United v Fulham fixture

Fulham face a trip to Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon, with the intention of improving a poor record there. The have ended up losing on 27 of the 32 occasions the two teams have clashed.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was just last season, in February 2009, with Man. Utd. running out comfortable 3 - 0 winners in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent respective form guides

Manchester United could not have a more impressive recent home form, having won each of the last six games. In this time, Red Devils have rattled up an impressive 22 goals, and conceded 1.

Fulham have an average recent record on the road, collecting 1 win and 3 draws from the last six played. Only 5 goals have been registered in this time, with 7 leaked at the wrong end.

Man. Utd. are currently sitting proudly at the top of the entire league, having collected 63 points from the 29 games played. Fulham's 38 points from 28 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 10th position.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

FootyMad's prediction ...

FootyMad see this game edging towards a narrow win for the Red Devils, as the Cottagers have been none too clever on the road in recent matches. Home win

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8562187.stm
Man Utd v Fulham (kick-off 1330 GMT)

Sir Alex Ferguson has a number of players he can bring in should he feel any of his first team are suffering fatigue after the Champions League match with Milan on Wednesday. That said, I was at Old Trafford for the 4-0 win over the Italians and United were not worked hard by what is the worst AC Milan I've ever seen.

The problem for Fulham is that this game comes off the back of an away game with Juventus on Thursday in the Europa League. They will give it their all to keep in touch with Juve in the first leg, believing they can knock them out in the second leg at Craven Cottage. As good as Fulham are, as good as their manager is and as organised as they are in defence I simply don't see them troubling United.

Prediction: 2-0

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8559649.stm
Man Utd    v    Fulham
TEAM NEWS
Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick returns to the squad for Sunday's game with Fulham, having been banned for Wednesday's win over Milan.

He looks set to replace Paul Scholes, who has played twice in five days.

Fulham's Clint Dempsey is poised to make his first league appearance for two months after returning from a knee injury against Juventus on Thursday.

Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka were cup-tied for that game, while Danny Murphy has a slight groin problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man Utd

Injured: Anderson & Hargreaves (both knee), Brown (metatarsal), De Laet (leg), Giggs (broken arm), O'Shea (thigh), Owen (hamstring)

Fulham

Doubtful: Dikgacoi (ankle)

Injured: A Johnson & Pantsil (both knee)

MATCH PREVIEW
Fulham arrive at Old Trafford hoping to secure their first ever league double over Manchester United, following their impressive 3-0 win at Craven Cottage last December. The result remains the champions' heaviest defeat of the season to date.

Fulham has been a remarkable story. Roy has brought his experience and authority to the club. He has formed a team that no-one likes to play against

Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United manager
Manchester United might be the Premier League's form team going into the weekend, but Fulham have lost only one of their last six league games and Roy Hodgson and Mark Schwarzer were named manager and player of the month respectively for February.

Schwarzer might just have to be at his very best at Old Trafford to stop a rampant United side at present. Wayne Rooney and co have scored 23 goals in their last six home leagues games, with the in-form England striker helping himself to 10 of those.

At the other end United are proving just as emphatic. It's now 609 minutes of league football (10 hours and nine minutes) since they last conceded at home, when Gabriel Agbonlahor scored for Aston Villa in a 1-0 win on 12 December.

However, one man who thrives on matches against United is Fulham captain Danny Murphy. He fired his fifth career goal against them last December to set the west London side on their way to that 3-0 win.

He previously scored three match winning goals in four seasons at Old Trafford as a Liverpool player.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Manchester United have won each of their last five home games against Fulham.

• Fulham's only victory at Old Trafford in their last 14 attempts (47 years) was a 3-1 win in October 2003.

• In the last two Premier League games between the two clubs, Fulham have scored five goals and kept two clean sheets.

• Goals are usually a prerequisite in this fixture: 57 scored in 17 Premier League matches - an average of over three goals per game.

606: DEBATE
Can Fulham continue to stifle United? 
Man Utd

• Could keep a third consecutive league clean sheet for the first time this season. However, their opening day 1-0 win over Birmingham preceded back-to-back clean sheets at the end of the 2008/09 campaign.

• United have only the fourth best record against sides within the top half of the table, behind Chelsea, Aston Villa and Arsenal.

• 63 points from 29 league games is United's lowest points total at this stage of the season in four years.

Fulham

• Victory would see Fulham become only the fourth club in Premier League history to win three successive games against Manchester United; a feat previously achieved by Liverpool (twice), Arsenal and West Ham.

• Fulham have not scored in 365 minutes of away league football since Clint Dempsey netted five minutes from time in their 3-2 defeat at Stoke during January.

• Roy Hodgson's side are without an away Premier League win since their opening day victory at Portsmouth.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Man Utd

Rooney: 30 goals (23 league); Berbatov: 9 goals (9 league)

Fulham

Zamora: 15 goals (8 league); Duff: 8 goals (6 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Mike Jones

Assistant referees: John Flynn & Mick McDonough

Fourth official: Mike Dean

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Man Utd (W1-0 v Wolves, a): Van der Sar, Brown (Neville 46), Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Valencia, Gibson (Diouf 62), Scholes, Carrick, Nani (Park 73), Berbatov. Subs Not Used: Foster, Rafael Da Silva, Fletcher, Obertan.

Fulham (D0-0 v Sunderland, a): Schwarzer, Hangeland, Baird, Hughes, Shorey, Etuhu, Duff, Murphy (Greening 58), Gera, Davies, Zamora (Elm 84). Subs not used Zuberbuhler, Okaka, Riise, Smalling, Kelly.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Fulham 3-0 Man Utd (19 December 2009)

Fulham scorers: Murphy 22, Zamora 46, Duff 75